» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anti-Gangsta' Rap petition

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 4:34 am

I am a 19-year old male.  I am sick and disgusted by the music that my peers adore and the "musicians" that they idolize.  This "Gangsta' Rap" is destroying American values and turning teens and young adults into mindless puppets who espouse every atrocious ideal that these thugs decide to condone.  Although the late 1980s and the early 1990s were home to the development of this evil "music" genre, the 2000s have witnessed the dominance of "gangsta'" and other forms of rap.  I propose that everyone who is offended and taken aback at the malicious principles of this "GANGSTA'" RAPE "music" resolve to make 2006 the year in which this hideous filth meets its demise.  Therefore, by 2007, we will have a "Gangsta' Rap"-free America and witness a return to honorable, melodious music reminiscent of that which was popular during the '60s, '70s, and '80s. 

RAPE "MUSIC" HAS RAPED THE AMERICAN (AND THE WORLD) MUSIC SCENE AND WILL ONLY PROLIFERATE AND CONTINUE TO INHIBIT OUR CULTURE IF IT IS PERMITTED TO SURVIVE.  Snoop Dogg should be languishing in some secluded prison cell for the crimes he has committed and the debauchery he promotes.  50 Cent should be right there beside him.  All right, this is up to the courts to decide, but at least you can make yourself heard by signing this anti-"Gangsta' Rap" petition.  It's high time for the demoralized and desensitized culture that RAPE has created to return to respectful and noble ideals. 

Our young women are beautiful, important members of our culture, not "bitches" and "hos".  Drugs destroy lives.  Doing the "X" is "totally whack".  No wonder Eminem's ex-wife Kim slit her wrists, after that beautiful ode he wrote to her and the disgraceful nude blow-up dolls he threw into the audience during that awards show a few years back.  "Gangsta' Rap" propagates fear, violence, and poverty.  Our urban neighborhoods aren't going to experience progress while the youth are enacting the horrendous thug lifestyle.  Our societal progress is being stifled by this filth.  My heart aches whenever I read about the unsatisfactory and downright abhorrent experiences our inner-city brethren are forced to endure every single day. 

AND I BLAME GANGSTA' RAP FOR A GREAT DEAL OF THESE SOCIETAL MALADIES!!!

I will post the link to the petition page shortly.  Please stay tuned. 

Subject: Re: Anti-Gangsta' Rap petition

Written By: Harmonica on 01/04/06 at 6:57 am

I am a 19-year old male.  I am sick and disgusted by the music that my peers adore and the "musicians" that they idolize.  This "Gangsta' Rap" is destroying American values and turning teens and young adults into mindless puppets who espouse every atrocious ideal that these thugs decide to condone.  Although the late 1980s and the early 1990s were home to the development of this evil "music" genre, the 2000s have witnessed the dominance of "gangsta'" and other forms of rap.  I propose that everyone who is offended and taken aback at the malicious principles of this "GANGSTA'" RAPE "music" resolve to make 2006 the year in which this hideous filth meets its demise.  Therefore, by 2007, we will have a "Gangsta' Rap"-free America and witness a return to honorable, melodious music reminiscent of that which was popular during the '60s, '70s, and '80s. 

RAPE "MUSIC" HAS RAPED THE AMERICAN (AND THE WORLD) MUSIC SCENE AND WILL ONLY PROLIFERATE AND CONTINUE TO INHIBIT OUR CULTURE IF IT IS PERMITTED TO SURVIVE.  Snoop Dogg should be languishing in some secluded prison cell for the crimes he has committed and the debauchery he promotes.  50 Cent should be right there beside him.  All right, this is up to the courts to decide, but at least you can make yourself heard by signing this anti-"Gangsta' Rap" petition.  It's high time for the demoralized and desensitized culture that RAPE has created to return to respectful and noble ideals. 

Our young women are beautiful, important members of our culture, not "bitches" and "hos".  Drugs destroy lives.  Doing the "X" is "totally whack".  No wonder Eminem's ex-wife Kim slit her wrists, after that beautiful ode he wrote to her and the disgraceful nude blow-up dolls he threw into the audience during that awards show a few years back.  "Gangsta' Rap" propagates fear, violence, and poverty.  Our urban neighborhoods aren't going to experience progress while the youth are enacting the horrendous thug lifestyle.  Our societal progress is being stifled by this filth.  My heart aches whenever I read about the unsatisfactory and downright abhorrent experiences our inner-city brethren are forced to endure every single day. 

AND I BLAME GANGSTA' RAP FOR A GREAT DEAL OF THESE SOCIETAL MALADIES!!!

I will post the link to the petition page shortly.  Please stay tuned. 

You won't hear this from many on this board...but let me be the first to tell you.

Thumbs up for what you stand for and what your doing as far as gansta rap goes. 

I'm not against all Rap and some rap to me has good standings.  P Diddy rapping a dedication to his best friend B.I.G - Black Eyed Peas rapping  about all the hate in the world and how we should replace it with love - Coolio Singing about the rough life and unfairness that a young man has to go through in a gang are examples of what I'm more than ok with.

All the other stuff I hear about screwing three girls at once- knockin my bro's teeth out cause he ain't wearing the right bling bling  and how much money my drugs cost....I'm with you on this one JFK-2004.

Written By: witchain on 01/04/06 at 9:15 am

I personally don't care for it either, but it brings up the issue- Which was first?
It appears to me that this society created "gansta" rap, not vice-versa.
People are free to express themselves and unfortunately the things they have to say aren't always pretty. Tackle the problem. Don't shoot the messenger.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 6:31 pm

As promised, here is the link to the petition: 

new.petitiononline.com/Gangpet/petition.html

Thank you for your support and assistance in creating a better, violent rap-free USA. 

I personally don't care for it either, but it brings up the issue- Which was first?
It appears to me that this society created "gansta" rap, not vice-versa.
People are free to express themselves and unfortunately the things they have to say aren't always pretty. Tackle the problem. Don't shoot the messenger.

Yes, this is very true.  Gang wars and the inner-city drug trade raged for years before "Gangsta' Rap" achieved widespread popularity.  However, the continuance of its popularity has definitely not aided in inner-city reform.  It has hindered it markedly. 

Witchain, I would be interested in hearing who you think is responsible and deserves to be punished for the creation of the thug culture. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 6:37 pm

You have to be kidding me. Its just music. Its not particularly well done, but its just music. Back in the 50s they considered rock n' roll "the devil's music".

I'm sorry, but I cannot sign something so utterly ridiculous in it's intentions(banning a style of music?), and I don't think most Americans would support such a thing. Perhaps you'd find a more accepting market for your ideas in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? But wait, they don't allow free speech there. But then again, that sounds like what you want anyway. Happy trails.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 7:01 pm

You have to be kidding me. Its just music. Its not particularly well done, but its just music. Back in the 50s they considered rock n' roll "the devil's music".

I'm sorry, but I cannot sign something so utterly ridiculous in it's intentions(banning a style of music?), and I don't think most Americans would support such a thing. Perhaps you'd find a more accepting market for your ideas in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? But wait, they don't allow free speech there. But then again, that sounds like what you want anyway. Happy trails.

That assertion is prespammersite.  I do not endorse the abolishment of free speech.  I love my country and I believe that there is no better nation on the face of the planet.  However, I am afraid and outraged at the forces that are conspiring to destroy our composure and peace.  Gangsta' rap promotes violence.  Anyone should be able to recognize that.  In the '50s, the notion that rock was "the devil's music" was overblown and naive.  However, every subsequent generation of music has become more abhorrent and immoral.  What's next, music encouraging youth to murder and rape their siblings? 

It's high time to reverse the trend before it becomes even more profuse and profane.  This diabolical music genre espouses disarray, promiscuity, and inner-city chaos.  I, for one, am disgusted and tired of this ridiculousness and will fight to prevent Gangsta' Rap and thug culture from morphing our wonderful nation into a Saudi Arabia-reminiscent trough of debauchery and filth. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/06 at 7:06 pm

I don't like "gangsta rap" at all, and I do think it has a negative influence on youth.  However, I'm not signing any petitions.  Gangsta rap is only a symptom, not the cause.

Written By: EthanM on 01/04/06 at 7:09 pm

Fifty Cent is probably the embodiment of current "gangsta rap", and I don't like his music. It's not very clever, the style can get very repetitive, and I don't agree with his philosophy. But banning music that a lot of people apparently enjoy just because it can be offensive is a dangerous precedent. 50 Cent is also one of the few rappers that openly supports Bush (he thinks W is "Gangsta"), and I wish he wasn't as popular as he is, but censorship is not the way to do it. Hopefully people will get tired of it but until then just change the station when a song you don't like comes on.  

Written By: EthanM on 01/04/06 at 7:13 pm

Also, how do you define "gangsta"? Some rappers, like Jay-Z and Eminem and Ludacris, have used misogynistic and violent lyrics but have also made clever and entertaining music that should definitely be allowed to exist. 

Written By: witchain on 01/04/06 at 7:50 pm

Witchain, I would be interested in hearing who you think is responsible and deserves to be punished for the creation of the thug culture. 

We are all responsible and no one should be punished.

I do not endorse the abolishment of free speech.

Signing that petition would be forfeiting free speech.

In the '50s, the notion that rock was "the devil's music" was overblown and naive...
...This diabolical music genre espouses disarray, promiscuity, and inner-city chaos.

Isn't that blatant hypocrisy?

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 7:53 pm

Personally, I consider anything that promotes thug culture and gang strife to be "gangster".  I do enjoy some rap music, especially so-called "old-school" material produced in the late '80s and early '90s.  This was righteous music that encouraged social activism.  However, MTV and the corporate scoundrels have since perverted the genre and advocated social disorder through the marketing of rap songs featuring abhorrent lyrics.  I don't care whether some thug says "F@#& you, biotch" in private.  Although it is uncouth and distasteful, it does not impact culture on the large scale.  However, when MTV advocates disgusting "music" featuring rap "artists" disrespecting women and encouraging youth to "bust a cap in a n@#*a's a$$" or "pop it like it's hot, when a n@#*a get an attitude", that is undeniable corruption of our nation's culture.  Corporate executives cleverly exploit the troubles of inner-city youth and black and white youth alike from all backgrounds feed their corruption by purchasing their garbage.  

Out of curiosity, I would be interested to know what everyone believes is the true cause of the problems plaguing city streets.  Who do you believe should be held responsible for the development and propagation of thug culture?

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 8:02 pm

We are all responsible and no one should be punished.

Isn't that blatant hypocrisy?

Someone deserves to be punished for the corruption of our society. 

Also, my statement relating rock music to "gangsta' rap" is not hypocritical.  When rock music first became popular, there were no lyrics in popular songs encouraging atrocious violence or social strife.  The lyrics were about love, heartbreak, and other normal problems inherent to young life.  "Gangsta' Rap" is exactly the opposite.  The lyrics consist of hate-filled ideals and promote the thug lifestyle.  Comparing classic rock to "Gangsta' Rap" is like comparing the great Mahatma Gandhi to the late king of evil, Adolf Hitler. 

The biggest threat faced by our society today isn't radical Islamic terrorists.  It is from corrupt corporate executives and those who are promoting the conquest of our society by thugs right here on our home soil!

Written By: marthadtox3 on 01/04/06 at 8:25 pm

I guess that there are those who work in the music business who cynically encourage gangsta rap on the basis that they know it makes profits it and it  perpetuates the worst kind of racist stereotype.. a case of let's give then enought rope and they will hang themselves..

the values that it promotes are as you say violent and mysogynistic but I guess it must be hard to live in the ghetto
the peer pressure must be severe and its hard for women to be too vocal about the mysogynistic aspects of it without being accused of not being sufficiently sensitive to the issue of racism...

somebody said on some other board here that feminism is a white supremacist ideology...which is the danger that you run into  if you are white and start accusing people of other cultures of being sexist/mysoginistic..

there are many aspects of white culture which are extremely violent and mysoginistic also...what is more violent that running massive armed forces and going around dropping bombs on people in other countries etc....

it's a tricky question

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 10:41 pm

Someone deserves to be punished for the corruption of our society. 

Burn them at the stake, I say!

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/graphics/products/regular/AR7452.jpg

The biggest threat faced by our society today isn't radical Islamic terrorists.  It is from corrupt corporate executives and those who are promoting the conquest of our society by thugs right here on our home soil!

::) I'm not even going to dignify a statement that out of touch reality.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 11:09 pm

No, it is absolutely not "out of touch reality", or out of touch with reality, or disconnected from reality.  Greedy corporate executives have an agenda to screw over the poor and the middle class.  That is scarier and more diabolical than the threat posed by the terrorist nutjobs, in my humble opinion. 

And I'm not proposing punishing anyone who doesn't deserve it.  Although the executives may not have actually directly killed anyone, who knows how many people have lost their lives due to the effects of their diabolical scheme, which includes the marketing of "Gangsta' Rap" on TV and through Hollywood. 

The naive individuals who buy this material are oblivious to what the executives are planning.  They have succumbed to their plot and are doing exactly what the execs want them to do. 

And this scheme is as different from the Spanish Inquisition as Sponge Bob Squarepants is from Josef Mengele.     

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 11:12 pm

By the way, deadrockstar, that is a great avatar.  Franz Ferdinand and other quality bands deserve to be at the forefront of the music industry.  They blow Snoop Dogg, "Diddy", 50 Cent, The Game, and all of these pathetic so-called "musicians" out of the water.   

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 11:37 pm

By the way, deadrockstar, that is a great avatar.  Franz Ferdinand and other quality bands deserve to be at the forefront of the music industry.  They blow Snoop Dogg, "Diddy", 50 Cent, The Game, and all of these pathetic so-called "musicians" out of the water.   

Yeah, but see, I think people can listen to what they please. So save your praises for someone who wants them.

Written By: EthanM on 01/05/06 at 11:47 am

There have always been corrupt elements of society... it's just been more obvious at some times than others

Written By: witchain on 01/05/06 at 11:50 am

Greedy corporate executives have an agenda to screw over the poor and the middle class.  That is scarier and more diabolical than the threat posed by the terrorist nutjobs, in my humble opinion. 
The naive individuals who buy this material are oblivious to what the executives are planning.  They have succumbed to their plot and are doing exactly what the execs want them to do. 

All I can say is "Wow"!  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/06 at 3:01 pm

The thing is, if we nail "Gangsta Rap" as socially destructive, doesn't it behoove us to take a look at other media that is socially destructive?, and aren't these distinctions subjective depending on your socio-political outlook?

Yes, I agree "Gangsta Ra" is a negative medium, but I believe right-wing talk radio (ala Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity) and right-wing news outlets (such as FOX News and The Weekly Standard) to be far more socially destructive than Gangsta Rap.  The right-wing media has far more pull with rich people and people in politically powerful positions in our society. 
Perhaps the "50 Cent" message has influenced young people to dress and act like thugs, but Rush Limbaugh has influenced middle-aged and older people of means to support economic policies that perpetuate selfishness, violence, and inequality in our society.  If anything, 50 Cent is the best friend Rush Limbaugh could have.  Such rappers encourage kids to become surly, inarticulate, self-pitying, menacing to others, and--best of all--apolitical.  Right-wingers who want to maintain the status quo don't want the marginalized masses to exercise concerted political resistance to the plutocratic establishment.  That's what the Black Panthers did, and they got riddled with bullets in their beds for it.  No, the establishment would rather have young African American men sell drugs and pimp women than, say, follow the cops around to make sure they don't beat the crap out of people, or start free breakfast programs for poor children.  A young black man bearing gang insignia and on his way to prison for murder is a victory for the racist status quo who thrive on fear, and for the prison-industrial complex that thrives on government money for more jail cells and correctional facilities.

But do you want to know what is most socially destructive?  I mean, far more socially destructive than Rush Limbaugh?  Advertising.  Especially television commercials.  Advertising sells us a world of constant discontent, insecurity, envy, jealousy, fear, and manufactured need.  I cannot think of any one thing more destructive to the Western mind than television commercials....and without the mentality preset by advertising, the "Gansta Rap" premium on "bling bling" would have no niche in young minds.
::)

Written By: Harmonica on 01/05/06 at 3:48 pm

The thing is, if we nail "Gangsta Rap" as socially destructive, doesn't it behoove us to take a look at other media that is socially destructive?, and aren't these distinctions subjective depending on your socio-political outlook?

Yes, I agree "Gangsta Ra" is a negative medium, but I believe right-wing talk radio (ala Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity) and right-wing news outlets (such as FOX News and The Weekly Standard) to be far more socially destructive than Gangsta Rap.  The right-wing media has far more pull with rich people and people in politically powerful positions in our society. 
Perhaps the "50 Cent" message has influenced young people to dress and act like thugs, but Rush Limbaugh has influenced middle-aged and older people of means to support economic policies that perpetuate selfishness, violence, and inequality in our society.  If anything, 50 Cent is the best friend Rush Limbaugh could have.  Such rappers encourage kids to become surly, inarticulate, self-pitying, menacing to others, and--best of all--apolitical.  Right-wingers who want to maintain the status quo don't want the marginalized masses to exercise concerted political resistance to the plutocratic establishment.  That's what the Black Panthers did, and they got riddled with bullets in their beds for it.  No, the establishment would rather have young African American men sell drugs and pimp women than, say, follow the cops around to make sure they don't beat the crap out of people, or start free breakfast programs for poor children.  A young black man bearing gang insignia and on his way to prison for murder is a victory for the racist status quo who thrive on fear, and for the prison-industrial complex that thrives on government money for more jail cells and correctional facilities.

But do you want to know what is most socially destructive?  I mean, far more socially destructive than Rush Limbaugh?  Advertising.  Especially television commercials.  Advertising sells us a world of constant discontent, insecurity, envy, jealousy, fear, and manufactured need.  I cannot think of any one thing more destructive to the Western mind than television commercials....and without the mentality preset by advertising, the "Gansta Rap" premium on "bling bling" would have no niche in young minds.
::)

I don't think we ought to eliminate it altogether but like anything else things are only good in moderation.  It right now doesn't have limits and it needs limits.  This isn't putting a frail on Freedom, it's putting a stamp down on the indecency.  There's a thin red line, and right now it's being crossed.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, but see, I think people can listen to what they please. So save your praises for someone who wants them.

Okay, this is blatant rudeness and ignorance.  I compliment your wonderful avatar and you utterly reject my admiration.  I have done nothing to deserve this type of scorn.  The United States is an incredible nation where people are quick to offer praise and kindness and true believers in this philosophy kindly accept and cherish the praise.  If you wish to spread disdain, maybe you'd enjoy a life amongst those who share your views over in Mesopotamia.  

I have formulated a coherent and sensible argument to support my views and all I receive in return are your lame objections.  (I'm referring to the individual quoted above, not to the rest of you)  I wish someone would explain how the First Amendment defends debauchery and societal destruction.  I don't believe our forefathers envisioned a land in which women are degradingly referred to as "bitches" and "cheap hos" and schoolchildren admire gangsters and thugs when they designed this historic and wonderful amendment.  They simply didn't believe society would sink to that level of filth and disarray.  

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 4:04 pm

I don't think we ought to eliminate it altogether but like anything else things are only good in moderation.  It right now doesn't have limits and it needs limits.  This isn't putting a frail on Freedom, it's putting a stamp down on the indecency.  There's a thin red line, and right now it's being crossed.

Masterfully stated, Harmonica.  I am in no way supporting the abolition of free speech or our freedoms in general.  I'm focused on eradicating filth and thug corruption.  Babies are crying right now in the inner city as a result of the effects of gang violence.  Our streets are not safe from this diabolical filth. 

I feel obligated to commend the amazing comedian and concerned citizen Bill Cosby.  His statements regarding the irresponsibility propagated by thug culture are a step in the right direction.  This nation needs more sensible citizens like Mr. Cosby. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/05/06 at 4:08 pm

I don't believe our forefathers envisioned a land in which women are degradingly referred to as "bitches" and "cheap hos" and schoolchildren admire gangsters and thugs when they designed this historic and wonderful amendment.  They simply didn't believe society would sink to that level of filth and disarray. 

Here it is again.  The deification of the forefathers.  What was Jefferson thinking when he,  in his 30's,
raped the teenage Sally Hemings, and held her children in slavery? Spare me the "but he treated then well" bit, they were slaves.  What did Washington think of women when he sold babies away from
their mothers,  husbands away from their wives.  Our forefathers lived in, joined in, and perpetuated, the degradation of women.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 4:30 pm

Here it is again.  The deification of the forefathers.  What was Jefferson thinking when he,  in his 30's,
raped the teenage Sally Hemings, and held her children in slavery? Spare me the "but he treated then well" bit, they were slaves.  What did Washington think of women when he sold babies away from
their mothers,  husbands away from their wives.  Our forefathers lived in, joined in, and perpetuated, the degradation of women.

Okay, I feel compelled to respond to this.  I am not deifiing our forefathers.  Several of them were immoral hypocrites, I'll admit that.  However, no one can use the great First Amendment to defend garbage such as gangsta' rap and thug culture because it simply wasn't a factor back in the 18th century. 

If people were physically enslaved during that time, people are mentally enslaved today due to the despicable agenda of corporate media such as Viacom (i.e. MTV) and the News Corporation (Fox News).   

Written By: witchain on 01/05/06 at 5:01 pm

I wish someone would explain how the First Amendment defends debauchery and societal destruction.

It doesn't- but it does defend the right to speak about it!

I have formulated a coherent and sensible argument to support my views...

Oh really? Harmonica seems to be the only one that thinks so.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/05/06 at 5:23 pm

But what about the freedom of somebody expressing their opposition to Gangster Rap?  What about the right of a person to state that they think it is a disgusting form of music?

Freedom Of Speech cuts both ways.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 5:27 pm

Oh really?  What other evidence do you expect me to provide than that which I have previously detailed?  What more evidence does one need than the obvious experience of venturing into public only to hear vulgar gangsta' rap music reverberating from thugs' car stereos and unintelligent punks talking about women like they are worthless "bitches", "sluts", or "hos".  They deserve more respect than that which the thugs display toward them.  

By the way, I don't see you providing paragraphs of logical arguments attesting to the unfeasibility of my viewpoint.  I challenge you and deadrockstar to entertain me with a legitimate counterargument, and then we can pass judgment on whether my viewpoint is coherent and reasonable.  For God's sake, formulate something relevant and intellectual to put my argument to shame instead of offering vapid one-liners.  Damn straight.      

Written By: Mushroom on 01/05/06 at 5:27 pm

I refust to take any kind of responsibility for something that happened over 200 years ago.  I refuse to even be responsible for something my father did 50 years ago.

However, I am responsible to how I react to trends that occur today.  I can do nothing about what Thomas Jefferson did, but I can do something about what I do.

How is demonizing our forefathers any different from deifying them?  They are long dead.  Let them stay that way.

Written By: witchain on 01/05/06 at 5:56 pm

But what about the freedom of somebody expressing their opposition to Gangster Rap?  What about the right of a person to state that they think it is a disgusting form of music?

Freedom Of Speech cuts both ways.

At no point have I stated that someone isn't entitled to stating their opinion, quite the opposite actually!

I don't see you providing paragraphs of logical arguments attesting to the unfeasibility of my viewpoint.  I challenge you and deadrockstar to entertain me with a legitimate counterargument, and then we can pass judgment on whether my viewpoint is coherent and reasonable.

Your viewpoint is just that- a subjective opinion. Its feasibility cannot be proven.
You obviously feel strongly about this alleged vulgarity, JFK, and I have said from the beginning that I don't care for the medium either. The words used in this music don't offend me though. The f-bomb, b!tch, and ho are just that- words. If that is all that this is about then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/06 at 6:47 pm

Okay, this is blatant rudeness and ignorance.  I compliment your wonderful avatar and you utterly reject my admiration.  I have done nothing to deserve this type of scorn.  The United States is an incredible nation where people are quick to offer praise and kindness and true believers in this philosophy kindly accept and cherish the praise.  If you wish to spread disdain, maybe you'd enjoy a life amongst those who share your views over in Mesopotamia. 

I don't want your compliments because what you are suggesting is much more deeply offensive to me than any silly rap could ever hope to be. Do you hear that word? "Silly". Thats what gangster rap is to me. Its not dangerous; its just dumb. I have no clue what you're trying to say in the last two sentences of the paragraph because of the way that you worded it. Just how do people over in Iraq share my views? We have soldiers over there dying every day, and you have the nerve to compare gangster rap to something like that. MY philosophy sir is that as long as you are not making a tangible threat against someone you can say what you damn well please.

I have formulated a coherent and sensible argument to support my views and all I receive in return are your lame objections.  (I'm referring to the individual quoted above, not to the rest of you)  I wish someone would explain how the First Amendment defends debauchery and societal destruction.  I don't believe our forefathers envisioned a land in which women are degradingly referred to as "bitches" and "cheap hos" and schoolchildren admire gangsters and thugs when they designed this historic and wonderful amendment.  They simply didn't believe society would sink to that level of filth and disarray. 

No they envisioned instead in their time a land where women could not vote.  ;) Trying to suggest that you know what they would have thought is ludicrous, JFK. People like you act like if the Founding Fathers were alive today they would be politically correct. Now, I noticed in your reply to DanootaAndMe that you said you agreed that some of the Founding Fathers were hypocrites(in my opinion every single one of them were as they believed the freedoms of the constitution only applied to white, land-owning males). I don't see how its logical to use them in an argument like this to back up what you are saying, if you admit that.

The fact is that the 1st ammendment covers all free speech unless that speech is a legally provable threat. If someone were to call someone else and say "I'm gonna blow up your house" thats not protected because a person is being directly threatened. But really besides that(and in certain cases of immediate national security concerns) free speech is not restricted in this country. If that weren't the case, with the way people feel about them, do you honestly think white supermacists(for example) would be able to voice their beliefs?

If your petition's intention was simply to submit it to perhaps the record companies or Viacom as simply the opinion of the undersigned I might support it because I don't like gangster rap or most of the attitudes it promotes either. HOWEVER(and please correct me if I am wrong), the intention of this petition seems to be that gangster rap should actually be banned or at least restricted in-part in an official manner. If the latter is your intention then to me thats no different than Iran's recent ban on all Western music. Its draconian and reactionary and I would die and go to hell before I'd ever sign something like that.

And therein lies my point. I don't agree with much of what they say in gangster rap just like I don't agree with much of what Rush Limbaugh says(if anything lol), but I'd defend both of their right to say it because like Mushroom said, freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/05/06 at 8:42 pm

Do you feel the same way about Run-DMC, the Beastie Boys, Coolio, OutKast, Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Biz Markie, Will Smith(aka the Fresh Prince)..and rap-rockers like P.O.D. , Linkin Park, and Rage Against The Machine(Rage's stuff is about real-world problems and people that have really been kicked to the curb, Rage is not gangsta but they are pretty blunt with their wiews)...
I'm 45 years old...and I remember when people thought Alice Cooper was evil incarnate....I was thirteen years old and a huge Alice Cooper fan back in the day.....I was not allowed to go to the concerts because my foster parents MISTAKENLY thought he hacked up babies and threw pigs' entrails at the audience....

I don't think EVERY kid who listens to 'gangsta' rap is violent. Just as Alice Cooper did not turn me into an ax-murderer. It's the parents and other adults who sometimes look the other way when their kids are troubled. It's called IN DENIAL.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/06 at 9:39 pm

Masterfully stated, Harmonica.  I am in no way supporting the abolition of free speech or our freedoms in general.  I'm focused on eradicating filth and thug corruption.  Babies are crying right now in the inner city as a result of the effects of gang violence.  Our streets are not safe from this diabolical filth. 

I feel obligated to commend the amazing comedian and concerned citizen Bill Cosby.  His statements regarding the irresponsibility propagated by thug culture are a step in the right direction.  This nation needs more sensible citizens like Mr. Cosby. 

Mr. Cosby is just another condescending pr*ck who has turned into a mouthpiece for the Right.  He ranks on the victims of corporate-controlled government's economic policies and doesn't even attempt to address the underlying issues.  Cosby is insufferable.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/05/06 at 10:12 pm

Mr. Cosby is just another condescending pr*ck who has turned into a mouthpiece for the Right.  He ranks on the victims of corporate-controlled government's economic policies and doesn't even attempt to address the underlying issues.  Cosby is insufferable.
Also Cosby is a pompous, full of himself,right-wing not funny man!

as well as very out of touch with anything going on out there in the real world!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/05/06 at 10:15 pm

Do you feel the same way about Run-DMC, the Beastie Boys, Coolio, OutKast, Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Biz Markie, Will Smith(aka the Fresh Prince)..and rap-rockers like P.O.D. , Linkin Park, and Rage Against The Machine(Rage's stuff is about real-world problems and people that have really been kicked to the curb, Rage is not gangsta but they are pretty blunt with their wiews)...
I'm 45 years old...and I remember when people thought Alice Cooper was evil incarnate....I was thirteen years old and a huge Alice Cooper fan back in the day.....I was not allowed to go to the concerts because my foster parents MISTAKENLY thought he hacked up babies and threw pigs' entrails at the audience....

I don't think EVERY kid who listens to 'gangsta' rap is violent. Just as Alice Cooper did not turn me into an ax-murderer. It's the parents and other adults who sometimes look the other way when their kids are troubled. It's called IN DENIAL.
Hey JFK, where are you? I wanna hear more of how you wanna dispatch of the First Amendment!

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 10:29 pm

I have to admit it, I do like some rap music, especially the pre-MTV corruption material.  I'm not criticizing the genre as a whole, I'm criticizing the disarray and social injustices propagated by the lyrics of these songs.  I would appreciate it if no one would accuse me of holding a position that I have not attested to subscribing to within my posts.  I mean what I say, nothing more, nothing less.  

I don't want your compliments because what you are suggesting is much more deeply offensive to me than any silly rap could ever hope to be. Do you hear that word? "Silly". Thats what gangster rap is to me. Its not dangerous; its just dumb. I have no clue what you're trying to say in the last two sentences of the paragraph because of the way that you worded it. Just how do people over in Iraq share my views? We have soldiers over there dying every day, and you have the nerve to compare gangster rap to something like that. MY philosophy sir is that as long as you are not making a tangible threat against someone you can say what you damn well please.

No they envisioned instead in their time a land where women could not vote.  ;) Trying to suggest that you know what they would have thought is ludicrous, JFK. People like you act like if the Founding Fathers were alive today they would be politically correct. Now, I noticed in your reply to DanootaAndMe that you said you agreed that some of the Founding Fathers were hypocrites(in my opinion every single one of them were as they believed the freedoms of the constitution only applied to white, land-owning males). I don't see how its logical to use them in an argument like this to back up what you are saying, if you admit that.

The fact is that the 1st ammendment covers all free speech unless that speech is a legally provable threat. If someone were to call someone else and say "I'm gonna blow up your house" thats not protected because a person is being directly threatened. But really besides that(and in certain cases of immediate national security concerns) free speech is not restricted in this country. If that weren't the case, with the way people feel about them, do you honestly think white supermacists(for example) would be able to voice their beliefs?

If your petition's intention was simply to submit it to perhaps the record companies or Viacom as simply the opinion of the undersigned I might support it because I don't like gangster rap or most of the attitudes it promotes either. HOWEVER(and please correct me if I am wrong), the intention of this petition seems to be that gangster rap should actually be banned or at least restricted in-part in an official manner. If the latter is your intention then to me thats no different than Iran's recent ban on all Western music. Its draconian and reactionary and I would die and go to hell before I'd ever sign something like that.

And therein lies my point. I don't agree with much of what they say in gangster rap just like I don't agree with much of what Rush Limbaugh says(if anything lol), but I'd defend both of their right to say it because like Mushroom said, freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Thank you deadrockstar, finally a logical argument against my viewpoint.  What enrages me the most is the spoiling and exploitation of all types of music by major record companies and avaricious corporate executives.  They ridicule the problems faced by millions of destitute inner-city folk.  Also, please don't twist my words to denigrate those who are risking their lives to fight for our nation over in the Middle East.  I deeply admire anyone who is willing to sacrifice themselves to defend our country's ideals.  Yes, freedom of speech is protected by the admirable First Amendment, and I respect that.  However, as Harmonica explained, the clear-cut line of between decency and abhorrent corruption has been crossed, and restrictions do need to be placed on indecency.  If you object to censorship of vulgar music, than why don't you also take offense to nudity being censored on TV?  It seems to me that you are embracing a nonsensical double standard.  

You tell me not to pass judgment on the Founding friggin' Fathers and instruct me to quit pretending to know what they were truly like and what kind of moral standards they would advocate were they alive today, hence your insinuation that every single one of them was hypocrite simply doesn't compute.  Don't categorize someone who has been dead for 200 years in a classification into which you yourself fit perfectly well.        

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 10:37 pm

Hey JFK, where are you? I wanna hear more of how you wanna dispatch of the First Amendment!

I am in no way advocating the eradication of the wonderful First Amendment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ABSOLUTELY, INDISPUTABLY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 10:46 pm

I think that most concerned American citizens would agree that the corruption of our society by greedy corporate executives and the exploitation of the underprivileged has drastically overstayed its welcome.  That is, if all of you are truly concerned about our values and the stability of our society, which I'm seriously beginning to doubt.  Executives wish to entrench our cities further into hopeless privation, and it is up to citizens like you and I to resist this nefarious scheme.  What's more important, the safety of our children or absolute adherence to the First Amendment?  I appreciate the First Amendment and the rights it affords every one of my brethren, but I despise the ruination of our neighborhoods through the exploitation of rap music on TV and radio.  The chairpersons of these corporations know absolutely nothing about the plights of our great nation's lower class.     

Written By: Harmonica on 01/05/06 at 11:21 pm

and should we as the American people follow in the footsteps of corruptness as Washington and Jefferson Or should we learn from their wrongness and make better of not only ourselves but our society?

Written By: Harmonica on 01/05/06 at 11:23 pm

You name anyone that isn't full boar liberal on this board and you'll hear about their imperfections day in and day out.  Cobsy is by far anything close to perfect, but he does a lot more good than the average Hollywood famo. 

Written By: Harmonica on 01/05/06 at 11:25 pm

Harmonica also seems to be the only person on this board that isn't biased with the liberal views of life.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/06 at 1:10 am

I am in no way advocating the eradication of the wonderful First Amendment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ABSOLUTELY, INDISPUTABLY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

:o

Is that you Senator Stevens?  ???

Written By: witchain on 01/06/06 at 7:44 am

Harmonica also seems to be the only person on this board that isn't biased with the liberal views of life.

You should try it sometime, Harmonica. It's fun!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/06 at 10:03 am

I refust to take any kind of responsibility for something that happened over 200 years ago.  I refuse to even be responsible for something my father did 50 years ago.

However, I am responsible to how I react to trends that occur today.  I can do nothing about what Thomas Jefferson did, but I can do something about what I do.

How is demonizing our forefathers any different from deifying them?  They are long dead.  Let them stay that way.

There wasn't anything in my post that suggested that anyone should in anyway take responsiblity for
the actions of the forefathers, or your father.  I think you are being a bit defensive in that regard.  I was
just pointing out that the poster called upon the example of the "forefathers"  in regards to the treatment of women.  To use them as  a blanket example is a poor choice.  I did not demonize them, but I did point out that on this subject there are quite a few of them whose treatment of women was exactly the same as the treatment expressed in the songs of these gangsta-rappers.  They are long dead, but they are an important part of our history and they, their words, and their actions, cannot be buried,  for good or ill.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/06 at 10:12 am

and should we as the American people follow in the footsteps of corruptness as Washington and Jefferson Or should we learn from their wrongness and make better of not only ourselves but our society?

Instead of banning gangsta rap how about using it as a contemporary learning issue?  The kids are
listening to it anyway.  Sit them down in a classroom and talk to the kids about it.  They listen to the
words and have a romantic vision in their minds, but when the attitude is brought out of the romantic
image and verbalized and made concrete by the consequences in their everyday lives it could bring a
whole new awareness of what is actually being espoused.  To show opposition to it with petitions and/
or banning it only makes it much more romantic.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/06/06 at 10:38 am

:o

Is that you Senator Stevens?  ???

Heh, who is this Senator Stevens character you are comparing me to? 

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/06/06 at 10:47 am

I'd presume this Senator Stevens is a Republican.  Look, I consider myself to be a moderate independent.  I take issue with some conservative assertions and some liberal views.  My screen name should tell you who I supported in the last election, but that's a moot point since a year has passed.  The election is irrelevant now.  We should focus on issues that matter now, in 2006. 

This country is filled with people who subscribe to radical liberal views and those who admire radical conservative ideals, without removing themselves from the furor for even a second to realistically analyze what they are saying. 

Written By: Harmonica on 01/06/06 at 2:36 pm

Instead of banning gangsta rap how about using it as a contemporary learning issue?  The kids are
listening to it anyway.  Sit them down in a classroom and talk to the kids about it.  They listen to the
words and have a romantic vision in their minds, but when the attitude is brought out of the romantic
image and verbalized and made concrete by the consequences in their everyday lives it could bring a
whole new awareness of what is actually being espoused.  To show opposition to it with petitions and/
or banning it only makes it much more romantic.

I'm not exactly sure if "romantic" is the correct wording, but you do make a point.  Not saying your point has any grounds on whether it would work or not but it's a good point in theory.  Alcohol isn't that much of a problem over in Europe because their are not laws against minors drinking. Over here in the United States teens killed in drunk driving incidents as well as teens killed in binging incidents is a huge problem.  One might say that the reason we have so many teens involved in getting drunk weekend in and weekend out is because they are rebelling against authority. They know what they're doing is wrong and sometimes live on that simple thrill alone.  I'm not one to say, hey make Alcohol legal to minors, but I won't shadow myself to the other thought of issue like so many others choose to do.  I just weigh the cons and the pros and decide that making alcohol legal to minors is not the answer.  The problem with the "awareness" is that it isn't going to work on everybody.  The message overall would be that their is nothing wrong with gangsta rap.  Which in moral understanding isn't right.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/06 at 3:59 pm

I'm not exactly sure if "romantic" is the correct wording, but you do make a point.  Not saying your point has any grounds on whether it would work or not but it's a good point in theory.  Alcohol isn't that much of a problem over in Europe because their are not laws against minors drinking. Over here in the United States teens killed in drunk driving incidents as well as teens killed in binging incidents is a huge problem.  One might say that the reason we have so many teens involved in getting drunk weekend in and weekend out is because they are rebelling against authority. They know what they're doing is wrong and sometimes live on that simple thrill alone.  I'm not one to say, hey make Alcohol legal to minors, but I won't shadow myself to the other thought of issue like so many others choose to do.  I just weigh the cons and the pros and decide that making alcohol legal to minors is not the answer.  The problem with the "awareness" is that it isn't going to work on everybody.  The message overall would be that their is nothing wrong with gangsta rap.  Which in moral understanding isn't right.

When I say romantic I mean that their is this vision in the minds of the young that glorifies the lifestyle in an unrealistic way.  That is what the young and inexperienced do, but lessons can be learned.  It was in my lifetime that the "he must love her because he hit her for seeing someone else" was considered acceptable by a large segment of the population( but not in my world, luckily).  Education changed that.  Listening to what the gangstas sing about makes me sick, but the more you tell some 16 year old not to listen, the more they are going to.  So sit down and say "hey, let's talk about what this guy is saying" and and you will see a whole different attitude towards the music, and the kids start going a bit more mainstream.  My sister, until recently, worked with inner city kids and having older kids talk to the younger ones about these attitudes rarely failed.  It is long past the day when parents were able to successfully censor what their children were able to access(if there ever was a time),  Much better to just bring it out in the open, educate, cross your fingers, and hope for the best.  Many a sleepless night there  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/06 at 4:03 pm

Also Cosby is a pompous, full of himself,right-wing not funny man!

as well as very out of touch with anything going on out there in the real world!

Thank you, thank you!  It's nice to know somebody else here sees through that man!

And what about the "Founding friggin' Fathers"?
;D

Written By: Harmonica on 01/06/06 at 6:37 pm

When I say romantic I mean that their is this vision in the minds of the young that glorifies the lifestyle in an unrealistic way.  That is what the young and inexperienced do, but lessons can be learned.  It was in my lifetime that the "he must love her because he hit her for seeing someone else" was considered acceptable by a large segment of the population( but not in my world, luckily).  Education changed that.  Listening to what the gangstas sing about makes me sick, but the more you tell some 16 year old not to listen, the more they are going to.  So sit down and say "hey, let's talk about what this guy is saying" and and you will see a whole different attitude towards the music, and the kids start going a bit more mainstream.  My sister, until recently, worked with inner city kids and having older kids talk to the younger ones about these attitudes rarely failed.  It is long past the day when parents were able to successfully censor what their children were able to access(if there ever was a time),  Much better to just bring it out in the open, educate, cross your fingers, and hope for the best.  Many a sleepless night there  :(

I'll agree with that, especially having older kids teach the younger kids. 

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/06/06 at 6:45 pm

OK, I searched for Stevens and identified him as Republican Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska, which also produced wacko disillusioned Don Young and his ridiculous bridge. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/06 at 7:07 pm

OK, I searched for Stevens and identified him as Republican Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska, which also produced wacko disillusioned Don Young and his ridiculous bridge. 

Bingo. Stevens was the old coot they showed the video in the news over and over again of him on the Senate floor talking about his colleagues' attempt to remove the funds for the "Bridge to nowhere" and screamed at them "NO!!!". I was making light of your over the top response.

And JFK, hate to tell ya buddy but you are advocating the restriction of free speech. It doesn't matter what the reasons are(vulgarity, violent lyrics etc.), if you advocate that a certain speech should be illegal or restricted in an official capacity and its not something that is of a legal concern(such as actual threats directed at individuals or certain specific groups) or a matter of immediate national security then you ARE advocating the restriction of constitutionally-accepted speech; no matter what your justification is.

Your comparison of restricting gangster rap to the restriction of nudity on television is not valid. The FCC can only censor material on public airwaves. Why do you think that subscription channels like HBO can air whatever they want? Now, if you think the gangster rap attitude and lyrics should be censored more than they currently are thats one thing(and in that case this needs to be a petition to the FCC); however what you are suggesting(a blanket restriction) is not constitutionally acceptable.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/06/06 at 9:49 pm

Bingo. Stevens was the old coot they showed the video in the news over and over again of him on the Senate floor talking about his colleagues' attempt to remove the funds for the "Bridge to nowhere" and screamed at them "NO!!!". I was making light of your over the top response.

And JFK, hate to tell ya buddy but you are advocating the restriction of free speech. It doesn't matter what the reasons are(vulgarity, violent lyrics etc.), if you advocate that a certain speech should be illegal or restricted in an official capacity and its not something that is of a legal concern(such as actual threats directed at individuals or certain specific groups) or a matter of immediate national security then you ARE advocating the restriction of constitutionally-accepted speech; no matter what your justification is.

Your comparison of restricting gangster rap to the restriction of nudity on television is not valid. The FCC can only censor material on public airwaves. Why do you think that subscription channels like HBO can air whatever they want? Now, if you think the gangster rap attitude and lyrics should be censored more than they currently are thats one thing(and in that case this needs to be a petition to the FCC); however what you are suggesting(a blanket restriction) is not constitutionally acceptable.

Deadrockstar, I see where you're coming from regarding the blanket ban concept.  However, I was not intending to be "over the top" in my response.  Ya see, when someone accuses me of being "unrealistic", "out of touch with reality", or ridicules my beliefs, I have no option outside of hollering or screaming or otherwise respond in a vigorous yet nonviolent fashion.  Sometimes, no matter how much evidence someone provides in support of their beliefs, people still belittle their ideas. 

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to explain that I fully support our freedom of speech.  In this wonderful nation, we have the right to speak out against politicians without fear of prosecution.  I have complimented our country and the First Amendment numerous times within this topic by referring to them as "wonderful" and "incredible", which should clearly demonstrate the immense admiration I direct toward them.  However, no part of the Constitution should force us to succumb to societal suicide. 

No country (or at least one that isn't anarchial) offers complete freedom for its citizens to participate in whatever actions they please.  Our nation is one of if not the most permissive nation on the face of the planet.  However, we cannot murder, rob banks, or abuse our spouses.  Some regulations are necessary to ensure societal stability and composure.  Perhaps the afterlife will be nonrestrictive, but as long as we are living citizens of this nation, there are rules we must observe and basic standards we must adhere to to prevent our society from disintegrating. 

By the way, I was considering creating another petition regarding the prespammersite, tax-dollar robbing "Bridge to Nowhere" project.  When I do, I will post the link in a new topic. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/06 at 10:09 pm

Deadrockstar, I see where you're coming from regarding the blanket ban concept.  However, I was not intending to be "over the top" in my response.  Ya see, when someone accuses me of being "unrealistic", "out of touch with reality", or ridicules my beliefs, I have no option outside of hollering or screaming or otherwise respond in a vigorous yet nonviolent fashion.  Sometimes, no matter how much evidence someone provides in support of their beliefs, people still belittle their ideas. 

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to explain that I fully support our freedom of speech.  In this wonderful nation, we have the right to speak out against politicians without fear of prosecution.  I have complimented our country and the First Amendment numerous times within this topic by referring to them as "wonderful" and "incredible", which should clearly demonstrate the immense admiration I direct toward them.  However, no part of the Constitution should force us to succumb to societal suicide. 

No country (or at least one that isn't anarchial) offers complete freedom for its citizens to participate in whatever actions they please.  Our nation is one of if not the most permissive nation on the face of the planet.  However, we cannot murder, rob banks, or abuse our spouses.  Some regulations are necessary to ensure societal stability and composure.  Perhaps the afterlife will be nonrestrictive, but as long as we are living citizens of this nation, there are rules we must observe and basic standards we must adhere to to prevent our society from disintegrating.  

By the way, I was considering creating another petition regarding the prespammersite, tax-dollar robbing "Bridge to Nowhere" project.  When I do, I will post the link in a new topic. 
Some rappers rap about ghetto life, the reality of it, which is not all peace and love...what about those rappers who are speaking out about ghetto life?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/06 at 10:15 pm

In your first paragraph it seems you are suggesting that freedom of speech covers political speech in all aspects but it only covers social speech partially. This to me seems like the reverse version of the policy of some dictatorial governments whom allow the media freedom in regards to social content but not political. Giving one but not the other isn't justified in either case, IMO.

I think you have good intentions in your heart but you have been hijacked by the right. This is exactly the type of wedge issue employed by the corporate fascists to distract the American public from issues that actually matter. I know you feel that gangster rap's messages and attitudes are a bad influence. But its just speech. As long as noone is hurt or actually threatened theres no legal justification to ban or restrict it in the way you speak of. In a constitutional republic such as the one we have there is the concept of the rule of law. The foundation for the rule of law in this country is the United States Constitution. No matter how right or wrong you think constitutionally protected speech is its still protected and legal. If we stop using the Constitution as the legal benchmark in this country that you always go back to that is a slippery slope, my friend. Because without it any kind of crazy law could be passed in this country. You think if we start circumventing the Constitution it will stop at the things you think should be restriced or banned? It won't, JFK. As I already said freedom of speech is a two way street and once you veer over into the other person's lane there will be nothing to stop them from veering over into your's.

Like I said; you have brought up some good points about gangster rap. However I just don't feel it's effects are anywhere NEAR harmful enough on this country to take the chance of undermining our Constitution. After all if you feel that Bush cannot ignore the Constitution when it comes to the War on Terror then how in the world do you think its logical to do so in order to censor music?

Another question I'd like to pose to you here: There is a song by The Doors called "The End" and one of the themes in it is incest and the Edipus complex, and near the end of the song Jim Morrison screams loudly, over and over, "F%&* ME BABY". Do you think that this song should be restricted? Or for that matter the NUMEROUS songs from the 60s and 70s that promote or allude to drug use? Should we ban "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" by The Beatles?

Oh, and I think its a little bit of a stretch to include bank robbery with murder and spousal abuse. Actually its a bit more than a stretch. I'd call it ridiculous. Ending a human being's life intentionally and abusing someone who cares for you physically are not the same thing as taking money from an institution. The only time bank robbery would jump up onto that level is if that person were to kill or harm someone in the course of the robbery. Otherwise I'd say even mugging is a step above bank robbery(there is an actual individual victim involved).

Written By: McDonald on 01/07/06 at 1:36 am

In my opinion, "gangsta rap" died like, around '98. Today's rap is mostly danceable garbage, and it's about sex and recreational drug use (like early rock and roll, come to think about it). The true gangsta rap was real, it was about life on the streets, and it was a legitimate art form, no matter how shocking or distasteful. The stuff today that tries to connect itself to that music is nothing but fodder designed to sell records. Any of the first gangsta rappers who were any good, if they're still alive, have sold out (Snoop being a notable example, along with Dre). But even if the stuff is garbage, so what? Like everyone else has pointed out already, it's a messed up society which created this.

This petition is the most giant waste of time, perhaps, in the universe. It's totally worthless. Even if you got 10 Million signatures, is that going to suddenly crush the rap industry? Not as long as there's money to be made.

But let's humour the imagination and say that it worked... So much for the precious "free market." But it's OK to squash an industry if so many minorities are cashing in on bad taste, as long as you can theoretically, hypothetically, possibly, and lest I forget, FALSELY attribute a few social problems to its popularity.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but rap isn't the only garbage you'll find on the radio. Every musical genre showcased on terrestrial radio is dominated by a similar void of talent.

Written By: Harmonica on 01/08/06 at 1:29 am

In my opinion, "gangsta rap" died like, around '98. Today's rap is mostly danceable garbage, and it's about sex and recreational drug use (like early rock and roll, come to think about it). The true gangsta rap was real, it was about life on the streets, and it was a legitimate art form, no matter how shocking or distasteful. The stuff today that tries to connect itself to that music is nothing but fodder designed to sell records. Any of the first gangsta rappers who were any good, if they're still alive, have sold out (Snoop being a notable example, along with Dre). But even if the stuff is garbage, so what? Like everyone else has pointed out already, it's a messed up society which created this.

This petition is the most giant waste of time, perhaps, in the universe. It's totally worthless. Even if you got 10 Million signatures, is that going to suddenly crush the rap industry? Not as long as there's money to be made.

But let's humour the imagination and say that it worked... So much for the precious "free market." But it's OK to squash an industry if so many minorities are cashing in on bad taste, as long as you can theoretically, hypothetically, possibly, and lest I forget, FALSELY attribute a few social problems to its popularity.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but rap isn't the only garbage you'll find on the radio. Every musical genre showcased on terrestrial radio is dominated by a similar void of talent.

Not as long as there's money to be made.... you about said it all right their.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/08/06 at 3:14 pm

Not as long as there's money to be made.... you about said it all right their.

Precisely.  When rap first achieved popularity in the mid- to late- '80s, it was based on social activism and honestly discussing the problems that were occurring in the ghetto without condoning those social maladies.  Sometime during the 1990s, unfortunately, record company executives and their counterparts with MTV and the like realized how much moolah could be made by exploiting the ghetto's issues and marketing music glorifying drug use, prostitution, and gangland murder to suburban white kids.  This scheme is what led to the downfall of quality, inventive rap and the rise of heinous garbage that has suburban white kids all around the country who know nothing about what the ghetto is really like aspiring to be "gangsta'". 

Written By: McDonald on 01/08/06 at 4:40 pm

Precisely.  When rap first achieved popularity in the mid- to late- '80s, it was based on social activism and honestly discussing the problems that were occurring in the ghetto without condoning those social maladies.  Sometime during the 1990s, unfortunately, record company executives and their counterparts with MTV and the like realized how much moolah could be made by exploiting the ghetto's issues and marketing music glorifying drug use, prostitution, and gangland murder to suburban white kids.  This scheme is what led to the downfall of quality, inventive rap and the rise of heinous garbage that has suburban white kids all around the country who know nothing about what the ghetto is really like aspiring to be "gangsta'". 

People have to vote with their wallets on this one. But I stress that this has happened with every other marketable genre of music as well. Corporate America has hijacked everything from Punk to Christian, Gospel, Country, Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, etc... and made every genre virtually unlistenable for conscientious music fans.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/08/06 at 7:33 pm

In your first paragraph it seems you are suggesting that freedom of speech covers political speech in all aspects but it only covers social speech partially. This to me seems like the reverse version of the policy of some dictatorial governments whom allow the media freedom in regards to social content but not political. Giving one but not the other isn't justified in either case, IMO.

I think you have good intentions in your heart but you have been hijacked by the right. This is exactly the type of wedge issue employed by the corporate fascists to distract the American public from issues that actually matter. I know you feel that gangster rap's messages and attitudes are a bad influence. But its just speech. As long as noone is hurt or actually threatened theres no legal justification to ban or restrict it in the way you speak of. In a constitutional republic such as the one we have there is the concept of the rule of law. The foundation for the rule of law in this country is the United States Constitution. No matter how right or wrong you think constitutionally protected speech is its still protected and legal. If we stop using the Constitution as the legal benchmark in this country that you always go back to that is a slippery slope, my friend. Because without it any kind of crazy law could be passed in this country. You think if we start circumventing the Constitution it will stop at the things you think should be restriced or banned? It won't, JFK. As I already said freedom of speech is a two way street and once you veer over into the other person's lane there will be nothing to stop them from veering over into your's.

Like I said; you have brought up some good points about gangster rap. However I just don't feel it's effects are anywhere NEAR harmful enough on this country to take the chance of undermining our Constitution. After all if you feel that Bush cannot ignore the Constitution when it comes to the War on Terror then how in the world do you think its logical to do so in order to censor music?

Another question I'd like to pose to you here: There is a song by The Doors called "The End" and one of the themes in it is incest and the Edipus complex, and near the end of the song Jim Morrison screams loudly, over and over, "F%&* ME BABY". Do you think that this song should be restricted? Or for that matter the NUMEROUS songs from the 60s and 70s that promote or allude to drug use? Should we ban "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" by The Beatles?

Oh, and I think its a little bit of a stretch to include bank robbery with murder and spousal abuse. Actually its a bit more than a stretch. I'd call it ridiculous. Ending a human being's life intentionally and abusing someone who cares for you physically are not the same thing as taking money from an institution. The only time bank robbery would jump up onto that level is if that person were to kill or harm someone in the course of the robbery. Otherwise I'd say even mugging is a step above bank robbery(there is an actual individual victim involved).
What JFK is not considering is from its beginnings, rock music and every kind of music it spawned has been somewhat tasteless and even downright EVIL in the minds of some people..Why do you think Elvis was only shown from the waist up when he did the Ed Sullivan Show..because his pelvic gyrations offended White Anglo-Saxon Protestant America..and WASP's listened to evangelists like Billy Graham and believed it when someone who was a pastor or priest said rock and roll music was the work of Satan...back then anything new that deviated from the morals of the time was threatening to most parents.

As for that loser 50 Cent..why brag about being shot nine times? The next time someone shoots him could be the last time....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/08/06 at 9:44 pm

HOLY CRAP!

I don't like gangsta rap, nor bling-bling rap, pop rap, or crunk, but come on man, that's silly!
But good luck. :)

Written By: Harmonica on 01/08/06 at 11:45 pm

What JFK is not considering is from its beginnings, rock music and every kind of music it spawned has been somewhat tasteless and even downright EVIL in the minds of some people..Why do you think Elvis was only shown from the waist up when he did the Ed Sullivan Show..because his pelvic gyrations offended White Anglo-Saxon Protestant America..and WASP's listened to evangelists like Billy Graham and believed it when someone who was a pastor or priest said rock and roll music was the work of Satan...back then anything new that deviated from the morals of the time was threatening to most parents.

As for that loser 50 Cent..why brag about being shot nine times? The next time someone shoots him could be the last time....

and what JFK succeeds in reasoning is that their is a line to be drawn. Bad manors is not chewing gum too often, bad manors is chewing gum obnoxiously loud, with your mouth open and making loud smack noises.  JFK realizes the difference in these things and he takes motivation and most of all the degree to which these "evils" happen to be.  I stand behind him and his effort to end this beyond the line evil.  I realize that there is a vast difference between singing about how a comrade died in Vietnam and singing about how cool it is to pop one into your brotha.  The same way I realize the difference between a woman in a bikini down town and a woman buck naked down town.  One is appropriate, the other is not.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 12:39 am

and what JFK succeeds in reasoning is that their is a line to be drawn. Bad manors is not chewing gum too often, bad manors is chewing gum obnoxiously loud, with your mouth open and making loud smack noises. 

Ah, the shame of owing fealty to a bad manor!
:D

Written By: Harmonica on 01/09/06 at 12:43 am

Ah, the shame of owing fealty to a bad manor!
:D

Sometimes the crazy see more than the so called sane.  Manly of you to point that out.

Check for new replies or respond here...