» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Are cockfights and/or dog fights illegal where you live? Do you think it's wrong

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 1:33 am

Yes, both cockfighting and dogfighting are illegal here in NJ. Anyone who engages in either is human scum. I actually told the SPCA about someone I overheard that had pit bulls that they used in dog fights...I could not keep my mouth shut because it troubled me that people put creatures through such horrible, nasty treatment..just for money and/or kicks...

Subject: Re: Are cockfights and/or dog fights illegal where you live? Do you think it's w

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/06 at 1:34 am

I hear Elton John and his new husband have cockfights all the time  ;D

Seriously though, I would think Cock Fights and Dog Fights would be illegla everywhere.  Wouldn't it be considered animal cruelty?

Subject: Re: Are cockfights and/or dog fights illegal where you live? Do you think it's w

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 1:37 am

[quote author=whis

Subject: Re: Are cockfights and/or dog fights illegal where you live? Do you think it's wrong

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/06 at 3:23 am

Not certain, but pretty sure they're illegal in Massachusetts.  It's a cruel, disgusting business and those who run such rackets, and those who place bets on animal fights are scary people.
:o

Subject: Re: Are cockfights and/or dog fights illegal where you live? Do you think it's wrong

Written By: Harmonica on 01/14/06 at 4:41 am

They're illegal in Iowa as well.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/14/06 at 10:47 am

Both are illegal in Vermont.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/06 at 11:47 am

The really weird cockfight operators outfit their cocks with razor blades on their talons (or feet or claws, whatever you call 'em).

That's pretty sick.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/06 at 3:53 pm

They are illegal in Utah as they should be. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/14/06 at 4:24 pm

I don't know about dogfighting, but cockfighting is only legal in Louisiana and New Mexico. 

I remember the big fight in the Georgia state legislature over a bill that would have made it illegal for people to leave the state for the purpose on attending a cockfight in nearby Louisiana.  I don't remember if that bill passed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/06 at 5:47 pm

I don't know about dogfighting, but cockfighting is only legal in Louisiana and New Mexico. 

I remember the big fight in the Georgia state legislature over a bill that would have made it illegal for people to leave the state for the purpose on attending a cockfight in nearby Louisiana.  I don't remember if that bill passed.

If the bill passed, it would be fairly quickly overturned by any Federal court.  The law represents a restriction in interstate trade, and only the Federal Government is empowered to do that as per the Unoited States Constitution.

Those Georgia legislators were grandstanding.  They know that law will not hold up.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 6:16 pm

I have nothing but hatred for people who own fighting cocks and people who own pit bulls for the purpose of fighting...those people should be locked up for a dam long time....As I said before, if I hear of someone who has either pit bulls or cocks they use for fighting and I can get enough info..like where they live, their names, or their animals' names...I call the SPCA. It bothers me that much that people would put innocent creatures through this crap.

I guess I'm just someone who sticks up for even the least of living beings, and some folks don't understand why.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 11:16 pm

hahaahaha...you naughty boy...you.....but hey....do you wanna see a big cock?......

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=rooster/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=11vsvpr21/EXP=1137306974/*-http%3A//www.hahnenwirt.de/images/Rooster.jpg
Cock-a-doodle-doo!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 5:49 am

Wait a minute.  If a dog fight "spontaneously" breaks out between a German Shepherd and a Rotthweiler out on the street, is it illegal to place bets?
I'm looking for a legal loophole here!  Heh heh!
;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/15/06 at 5:58 am

I'm pretty sure chicken fights and dog fights are illegal here. Should I try and see?  ::)

But seriously, I think forcing them into it for our own entertainment is wrong and animal cruelty.  >:(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/15/06 at 11:09 am

I know I'm gonna get raked over the coals for this, but here goes: Although cockfighting is inhumane and cruel and should be illegal, there's a small part of me that can see where it might be entertaining to watch.

Fire away.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/15/06 at 11:48 am

It's illegal over here.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/15/06 at 6:14 pm

The SOB's who are involved in cockfighting or dog fighting should be made to go ten rounds inside a boxing ring with a professional boxer as punishment...see how they like being beat on!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/15/06 at 6:18 pm

Other animals are involved in fighting too..here's a linkhttp://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/animal_cruelty/animal_fighting.php

The human scumbags who do this stuff, and even the spectators who get their kicks watching it, deserve to be punished...especially parents who bring young kids to these sick displays!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/15/06 at 6:29 pm

I wonder how someone who fights dogs or cocks would feel if they were mauled by the animals they use for fights!?!

Written By: Red Ant on 01/15/06 at 6:36 pm

Dogfighting is not only illegal in Virginia, it is a felony.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+3.1-796.124

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/15/06 at 8:12 pm

I think it is horrible. And even though I don't care for dogs....or erm...cocks....it is still wrong.  Now....if they were doing some kitty fighting....I would be busting some chops!!! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 8:41 pm

I wonder how someone who fights dogs or cocks would feel if they were mauled by the animals they use for fights!?!

I believe it's the same subhumans who participate in those barefisted anything-goes cage matches.  I seem to remember those were a big controversy a few years ago.  You know, there are genuinely violent people out there.  Guys who will knock your teeth out for stealing their parking space or whatever!

Written By: karen on 01/16/06 at 7:58 am

both of these have been illegal since 1835 in the UK

Written By: Harmonica on 01/16/06 at 3:33 pm

I believe it's the same subhumans who participate in those barefisted anything-goes cage matches.  I seem to remember those were a big controversy a few years ago.  You know, there are genuinely violent people out there.  Guys who will knock your teeth out for stealing their parking space or whatever!

A individual knocking out another individual's teeth for stealing a parking space is: Wrong

Stealing someone else's parking space is:

A Wrong
B No Big Deal
C Wrong is it was on purpose.  An accident if it was a mistake.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/16/06 at 5:57 pm

I've seen people keep pit bulls as pets....their pets are kind, loyal, and loving, not at all vicious.

Those who use pit bulls for fighting tarnish every pit bull and RESPONSIBLE owner out there! Look at the anti-pit bull(even pets!) laws some towns have..

There's also Hog-Dog fighting..I think that is also on the website I posted earlier.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/16/06 at 7:00 pm

It's a certain type, or class if you will, of people who think animals hurting each other is entertaining.  I don't know if it's illegal here, but I do know that you don't want the Humane Society on your case, for anything.  We have aging dogs who are becoming unpredictable around children and strangers, my Collie has bitten but the damage was minor, a tiny bruise.  My other little smelly aging dog has no teeth so her bite is more scary than anything.  I've seen the damage done by larger or more "aggresive" breeds of dogs and it is far more devastating.  I don't think any animal should be left unattended with children.  Nor should they be allowed to run, especially with other dogs.  People do that far to often and I think that is most of the time the problem. 

Written By: Mushroom on 01/16/06 at 7:22 pm

OK, I am going to throw in a little something to this debate:

In 1988, I was living in Okinawa Japan.  One of the tourist attractions is called "The Bat Cave".  It is a large limesonte grotto, which is the home to millions of bats.  And outside of it, is a large menagerie which includes a large number of snakes (a lot of them poisonous).

When I visited it, one of the things I saw was a Mongoose-Cobra fight.  They have them 3-4 times a day.  And in roughly 80% of them, the mongoose wins.  And this was not some seedy kind of event.  There were a lot of families there with their children.

I myself do not support "blood sports".  I do not even like boxing, finding it cruel and barbaric to see 2 men beating the crap out of each other.  I find "Professional Wrestling" hardly any better, finding it detestible as well.

But I will admit, I found the fight fascinating.  I had heard of them and read of them for years (Ricki-Ticki-Tavi was a favorite book of mine growing up).  At first appearance, you would think the rodent had no chance.  But within 5 minutes, it was eating the cobra.  And it is nothing unusual in nature, this happens all the time.

I can't say I "enjoyed" the fight, but I am glad I saw it, because it gave me more respect for the animals, and let me see first-hand something I have read about for years.

But when I returned to Okinawa in 1990, I did not go to see it again, even when I had the chance.  Once was enough.

And on the same trip, I saw an "Okinawa Bull Fight".  This is not a "to the death" event like a Spanish bullfight.  Think of it as Sumo Wrestling with bulls.  It is simply 2 bulls trying to push each other out of a ring.  There is no blood involved, and it is simply a contest of dominance.

http://www.okinawatimes.co.jp/eng/ryukyu/ryu4_12.html

Check for new replies or respond here...