» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin says 2005 hurricanes are 'God punishing America'!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/17/06 at 10:19 pm

Why would Roy Nagin make a crazy statement like this? Here's the link....http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&guideContext=65.73&pmmsid=1452254

I wonder if the stress of rebuilding New Orleans has gotten Nagin stressed out?

Subject: Re: New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin says 2005 hurricanes are 'God punishing America'

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/17/06 at 10:21 pm

*Y'WN*

It's a topic that's been done to death. These guys who make these statements are idiots and the people who believe them are just as stupid.  :D

Subject: Re: New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin says 2005 hurricanes are 'God punishing America'!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/18/06 at 7:32 pm

I would not believe anything coming from Roy Nagin at this point..he even said that New Orleans should be all 'chocolate', and some New Orleans citizens have said Nagin's statement is crazy and somewhat racist.....

IMO Nagin needs to retire from office..I think in all honesty dealing with the Katrina mess has gotten to him.

Subject: Re: New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin says 2005 hurricanes are 'God punishing America'

Written By: STAR70 on 01/18/06 at 7:55 pm

Why would Roy Nagin make a crazy statement like this? Here's the link....http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&guideContext=65.73&pmmsid=1452254

I wonder if the stress of rebuilding New Orleans has gotten Nagin stressed out?

yes the hurricane has caused a blown fuse in the mayor's brain!!!!

Subject: Re: New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin says 2005 hurricanes are 'God punishing America'!

Written By: Tia on 01/18/06 at 8:31 pm

i wanna like him but he just is too far out there, yeah. he sorta free-associates at press conferences and stuff and just sticks his foot in it over and over again.

i remember during the whole katrina thing he said a few things that sounded pretty paranoid to me. (something about there being something in the water in washington?) not that it's not totally understandable -- i probably woulda gone unhinged too if i'd had to deal with that craziness -- but i think he needs to get some meds and CHILL. maybe a month's vacation or something. hey, it's good enough for dubya!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/06 at 10:20 pm

I would not believe anything coming from Roy Nagin at this point..he even said that New Orleans should be all 'chocolate', and some New Orleans citizens have said Nagin's statement is crazy and somewhat racist.....

IMO Nagin needs to retire from office..I think in all honesty dealing with the Katrina mess has gotten to him.

You kept saying Nagin was off his rocker after Katrina, and I thought you were exaggerating.  Now I kinda see what you mean!  The Christian Right was proffering the same hogwash about God's wrath, and they're bonkers for the most part.  Then he started shooting his mouth off about the "chocolate city," and when called on the racist implications of "chocolate city," Nagin told the reporters how you make chocolate milk!
:D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/19/06 at 8:03 pm

I wonder why Nagin is not removed from office, he's gone off the deep end IMHO. I still think Nagin botched up the pre-Katrina evacuation by not informing his citizens that Amtrak trains were available free of charge for evacuation purposes, and not ordering city buses be used to evacuate people!

Written By: Tia on 01/20/06 at 1:43 am

i personally am not big on blaming the local authorities for the failures following katrina. they were the ones directly affected by the hurricane and lost a lot of their resources only hours after the disaster struck. the feds, on the other hand, were (a) pretty much responsible for dealing with the disaster because it was so dire it totally exceeded all local governments' ability to deal with it and (b) had DAYS to assemble their response, whereas the local and state officials were basically out of commission once the hurrican hit land. so if nagin didn't pounce right on sending the buses out (and don't forget, the drivers were mostly evacuated, so who was supposed to operate them?) etc. bear in mind he had a lot of things to worry about in those few hours.

that's not to defend all his goofy comments since then, just to say that all this was clearly over the head of any mayor or governor...

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/20/06 at 2:02 am

Between this stooge and Hillary Clinton's recent comments comparing the way the Senate is run to a plantation "and you know what I'm talkin' about!"(ugh!) the Democrats' chances in '06 seem to be getting stronger and stronger.
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/06 at 2:42 am

Between this stooge and Hillary Clinton's recent comments comparing the way the Senate is run to a plantation "and you know what I'm talkin' about!"(ugh!) the Democrats' chances in '06 seem to be getting stronger and stronger.
::)

Hillary would have been more concise comparing the Senate Republicans to the behavior of the popular clique of chicks in high school!
;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/20/06 at 2:52 am

And the ignorance in this country just never ends, first you have Pat Robertson and now this guy speaking for God, unbelievable.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/20/06 at 3:58 am

America should be punished.  We've become a nation of p**sies.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/20/06 at 3:59 am

You know what, I agree. Pakistan gets like 80,000 people killed, the tsunami kills a quarter million, yet we can't stop whining about New Orleans.  We are wimps, thanks to our success.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/06 at 10:21 am

I have seen a clip of it on TV.  It's like he lost his freaking mind. It could be the jumping the couch moment of 2006!

By the way, jumping the couch is a reference to Tom Cruise's recent apperance on Oprah.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/20/06 at 7:05 pm

PTSD.

true. if a hurrican destroyed your city you'd have it too

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/06 at 7:09 pm

PTSD.

I'm sure lots of people who lost everything they own and had loved ones killed in Katrina have PTSD--and will continue to deal with it for years.  I don't think Nagin has PTSD, per se.  I think he's feeling exhausted and put-upon, and I think his nerves are frayed.  I'd be surprised if he had PTSD, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/06 at 7:29 pm

A nation of p( )ssies, I'm not so sure.  I do observe we as a nation feel entitled to lives full of convenience and relatively free of hardship.  I often have to remind myself how tough the human race through the ages and around the world has had it when I get onto one of my self-pitying jags.  However, I don't see most Americans even having this kind of insight on an intellectual level.

There is another factor: shame.  Our consumer culture and political elites (mostly Republicans) push the idea that if we ARE NOT lazy, stupid, shiftless bums we would be rich, R-I-C-H, rich--and we wouldn't have the problems confronting us. 

I single out Republicans and conservatives, because the are the ones that do this.  When they talk about "character" and "morality" and "personal responsibility" what they mean is anybody who hasn't succeeded on THEIR terms lacks character, lacks morality, and lacks personal responsibility.

The Right blasphemes every time they mention Jesus.  Nothing Jesus taught is reflected in their policies, their rhetoric, or their own personal behavior.  What the opinions and policies of the Right are anathema to everything Jesus told us. The Right in this country worships power and money.  They certainly have no reverence for God in the Abrahamic tradition.  All they do is talk about God. 

Since Ronald Reagan was inaugurated this country's power elite has been waging war on the economically deprived, on the vulnerable, and now on the middle class.  You've heard of "character assassination," right?  Well, their rhetoric of "personal responsibility" is an act of character mass--murder!
>:(

Therefore, when any of us as Americans find ourselves in the class of "have-nots," we begin to cut ourselves up and feel ashamed.  "Personal responsibility" means nothing more than "blame yourself."  We are blinded to the atrocious outcome of the economic policies our governments--federal and state--have engaged in over the past quarter century.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/20/06 at 7:53 pm

A nation of p( )ssies, I'm not so sure.  I do observe we as a nation feel entitled to lives full of convenience and relatively free of hardship.  I often have to remind myself how tough the human race through the ages and around the world has had it when I get onto one of my self-pitying jags.  However, I don't see most Americans even having this kind of insight on an intellectual level.

There is another factor: shame.   Our consumer culture and political elites (mostly Republicans) push the idea that if we ARE NOT lazy, stupid, shiftless bums we would be rich, R-I-C-H, rich--and we wouldn't have the problems confronting us. 

I single out Republicans and conservatives, because the are the ones that do this.  When they talk about "character" and "morality" and "personal responsibility" what they mean is anybody who hasn't succeeded on THEIR terms lacks character, lacks morality, and lacks personal responsibility.

The Right blasphemes every time they mention Jesus.  Nothing Jesus taught is reflected in their policies, their rhetoric, or their own personal behavior.  What the opinions and policies of the Right are anathema to everything Jesus told us. The Right in this country worships power and money.  They certainly have no reverence for God in the Abrahamic tradition.  All they do is talk about God. 

Since Ronald Reagan was inaugurated this country's power elite has been waging war on the economically deprived, on the vulnerable, and now on the middle class.  You've heard of "character assassination," right?  Well, their rhetoric of "personal responsibility" is an act of character mass--murder!
>:(

Therefore, when any of us as Americans find ourselves in the class of "have-nots," we begin to cut ourselves up and feel ashamed.  "Personal responsibility" means nothing more than "blame yourself."  We are blinded to the atrocious outcome of the economic policies our governments--federal and state--have engaged in over the past quarter century.
In other words, if you are on Social Security, SSDI, SSI, welfare, or working for minimum wage at Wal-Mart..YOU ARE A NOTHING to Bush, Cheney, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and the Religious Right!
Wake up America,register to vote if you are of age to, vote, and vote Democrat if you don't want the GOP freakshow that's now in office!

Check for new replies or respond here...