» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Canada elects on Monday.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/06 at 10:18 am

The big election for the next Prime Minister of Canada, is next week. I hope that Paul Martin, doesn't get re elected.

Subject: Re: Canada elects on Monday.

Written By: McDonald on 01/20/06 at 1:07 pm

The big election for the next Prime Minister of Canada, is next week. I hope that Paul Martin, doesn't get re elected.

I don't care who is elected as long as it isn't Stephen Harper. Jesus, and they're giving the CP like all the press on Radio-Canada.

"Le parti conservateur est une

Written By: McDonald on 01/23/06 at 10:57 am

OK guys, today's the day. At this time the polls are open from Newfoundland/Labrador to Ontario, and the rest will be opening in due time. Vote your conscience, but keep in mind that a Stephen Harper government would signal an end to many valued social programmes, idealogically align the federal government with that of the United States (Bush), sign us on for missile defence, threaten the right to abortion, threaten the right to same-sex marriage, and threaten Medicare. Please think about that as you cast your vote. Sadly, I cannot vote this time around because I didn't plan ahead and send for a special ballot, and my permanent address is in Texas (I could have used one of my relatives' in Montreal, but that wouldn't have helped much anyways. They live in Bloc territory).

I have Zoology so I gotta run but I'll be back. Let us know your thoughts, and if you voted and where. 

Written By: McDonald on 01/23/06 at 1:38 pm

This article from Politics Canada. The Conservative agenda in plain English.

http://www.canadawebpages.com/pc-editorial.asp?Key=2123&editorType=news&editorPrimeKeyword=mcgowan

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 2:42 pm

I voted just a couple seconds ago.

Written By: McDonald on 01/23/06 at 3:35 pm

I voted just a couple seconds ago.

Awesome! Where at?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 7:00 pm

Local nearby school.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/24/06 at 3:19 am

Harper's conservatives win a minority government.

Seats:

Conservative: 124
Liberal: 103
Bloc Qu

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/06 at 6:26 am

--Now where will the liberals run?

The liberals have been running to the conservative side in America for a quarter century.  It's been an unmitigated disaster.  Conservatism commences to fascism when it gathers enough steam.  That's what hapened in America.  Is that what you Canadians want too, eh?
Mankind is sinking himself with his own greed and belicosity.  A rightward turn won't solve the problems the Canadians blame on liberal government.  It didn't work in America.  It's not going to work up there either. I guess the lure of the Right is addictive.  Like a fiend with his dope and a drunkard with his rum, we'll all have to hit bottom, hit it hard, and maybe hit it a few times before we figure it out.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/06 at 7:37 am

I guess the lure of the Right is addictive.  Like a fiend with his dope and a drunkard with his rum, we'll all have to hit bottom, hit it hard, and maybe hit it a few times before we figure it out.

As much as the Right says it hates a government that is paternalistic, giving "handouts" in the form of
"entitlements"  they seem to be the ones who get under the covers crying for daddy to save them from
all the supposed evil in the world , and are willing to let daddy do whatever it takes without question, because daddy is always right, Right!  It is so much easier that way. 

Written By: limblifter on 01/24/06 at 11:41 am

--Now where will the liberals run?

The Liberals aren't running anywhere. If you knew anything at all about the situation in Canada, you would know that this conservative minority government is just a little punishment to the liberals for getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Harper will try and take away gay rights, he will snuggle up to GWB's missile defense plans, and he will try to privatize health care. As soon as these things start happening we will be back at the polls electing another liberal majority. And all will be back to normal again. ;)

Written By: McDonald on 01/24/06 at 1:09 pm

The Liberals aren't running anywhere. If you knew anything at all about the situation in Canada, you would know that this conservative minority government is just a little punishment to the liberals for getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Harper will try and take away gay rights, he will snuggle up to GWB's missile defense plans, and he will try to privatize health care. As soon as these things start happening we will be back at the polls electing another liberal majority. And all will be back to normal again. ;)

We can hope for that. But I have a feeling that for the next two years or so until the next elections are called, the Cons will do everything right so that next time they might win a majority government, which is when their true colours will start to show. Fascism doesn't happen overnight with firework shows, it happens over time, little by little. The Canadian CP knows what it's doing because it has been watching and learning from the most sophisticated fascists in the world... the US Republican Party. This is going to take a lot of vigilance and scrutiny on the part of Canadians.

Christ, I can't wait to get back up there and "start spreading the news".... that the CP sucks, the Liberals suck less, and the NDP owns! Speaking of which, I reached points of near ecstasy when I saw the gains the NDP made. Fantastic! That's what I love about Canadian politics... it's not a winner-take-all institution. While I felt a big blow when CBC reported the Conservative victory, I felt great when I heard about the many new NDP victories and when I heard Jack Layton's speech in Toronto. All was not lost, indeed much was won.

I listened to CBC radio from about 7pm to 12am CST, though they didn't report any results until about 9pm. I heard Paul Martin's speech, which was a good one (reminded me of Kerry's last speech). He announced that he would not lead the Liberal party into another election. SO I wonder who the head of HM's Opposition will be. I didn't stick around for Harper's speech, it was getting late and I really didn't feel like hearing it anyway.

The Bloc didn't really do so hot this time around, and I'm glad there's so much support for a federalist party in Qu

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/24/06 at 3:15 pm

Paul Martin is probally going to retire soon.

Written By: Satish on 01/25/06 at 5:17 pm

I wouldn't really call this a win for the right, since the Conservative party had to move quite a bit to the centre to get elected.

In order to win the election, the Conservatives had to promise they wouldn't make too many cuts to social programs(like health care), they wouldn't cut taxes that much, they wouldn't propose any laws to restrict abortion in any way, and they would only take a moderate stance against same-sex marriage.

Also, Canada's new Conservative government will absolutely NOT be sending troops to Iraq. So if you were thinking that they were just going to be a puppet of the Bush administration, you can just forget it.

Written By: McDonald on 01/26/06 at 11:34 am

I wouldn't really call this a win for the right, since the Conservative party had to move quite a bit to the centre to get elected.

In order to win the election, the Conservatives had to promise they wouldn't make too many cuts to social programs(like health care), they wouldn't cut taxes that much, they wouldn't propose any laws to restrict abortion in any way, and they would only take a moderate stance against same-sex marriage.

Also, Canada's new Conservative government will absolutely NOT be sending troops to Iraq. So if you were thinking that they were just going to be a puppet of the Bush administration, you can just forget it.

They will absolutely have to watch their step, that's for sure. Many of the tools the Republicans have here in the states to rally the armchair patriots and defame the Left are not available to the CPC. For instance, it would be political suicide for the CPC to get us involved in any kind of military conflict that wasn't strictly a peace-keeping effort. So they couldn't get into a war, and then denounce Leftists as Canada-haters for not supporting them, US Republican-style. That's a valuable tool they just don't have.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/26/06 at 11:46 am

For one, I've known for a long time so-called conservatives in Canada are moderate.  They look like democrats from the south and midwest.

Second, I know Canada is not going to send troops to Iraq.  I've never expected that, or really even care.

Finally, I am please to hear (and I hear very little about Canada) that the conservatives are keeping their campaign promise to arm Canadian border guards.  Illegal immigration and drug smuggling from both Mexico and Canada is a real problem in this country.

Written By: limblifter on 01/26/06 at 8:30 pm

For one, I've known for a long time so-called conservatives in Canada are moderate.  They look like democrats from the south and midwest.

Second, I know Canada is not going to send troops to Iraq.  I've never expected that, or really even care.

Finally, I am please to hear (and I hear very little about Canada) that the conservatives are keeping their campaign promise to arm Canadian border guards.  Illegal immigration and drug smuggling from both Mexico and Canada is a real problem in this country.

Ummmm. They're arming our border guards because of what's coming into our country from your country.

If you're having a problem with illegal immagration in your country, it's because your border guards aren't doing their job, not ours ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/06 at 8:53 pm

Canadian conservatives, economically speaking, are more like Eisenhower than Reagan. 
As for drug smuggling across the Canadian border to the U.S., it'll be a problem with things like heart medicine American senior citizens can no longer afford!
::)

Written By: McDonald on 01/27/06 at 12:20 pm

Harper has pledged to exercise Canadian sovereignty over the arctic waters, even though the US says it doesn't recognise Canada's sovereignty over the region (which is stupid). Harper said he'd be putting to ships up there and installing underwater sound sensors. This, I suppose, is because the international marine merchants have been using the arctic passageway as a free and easy alternative to the Panama Canal, and Canada hasn't been reaping any financial benefits from this usage.

The region is clearly in Canadian territory, no matter what the U.S. government says. Canada should be able to charge a fee for its use... after all, it's Canada who has to absorb the negative effects of it (i.e. pollution). It's an important issue, nothing to quarrel over, but it's important.

Did anyone listen to his speech and press conference in Ottawa yesterday?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/27/06 at 6:49 pm

This could get interesting....

Check for new replies or respond here...