» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Group angry at Souter to visit his hometown this weekend

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/21/06 at 12:53 am

Group angry at Souter to visit his hometown this weekend
The Boston Globe

CONCORD, N.H. --The U.S. Supreme Court angered many Americans last year when it sided with a Connecticut city that wanted to seize homes and other property for economic development.

In protest, a small group led by a California man has been targeting David Souter, one of the five justices who voted yes in the case, trying to get Souter's hometown of Weare to seize his property for the purpose of building an inn.

They submitted enough petition signatures -- only 25 were needed -- to bring the matter before voters in March. They plan to rally in Weare this weekend to gather more support and bring attention to eminent domain issues.

"This is in the tradition of the Boston Tea Party and the Pine Tree Riot," organizer Logan Darrow Clements said in a telephone interview. The riot took place during the winter of 1771-1772, when colonists in Weare beat up officials appointed by King George III who fined them for logging white pines without approval.

"All we're trying to do is put an end to eminent domain abuse," Clements said, by having those who advocate or facilitate it "live under it, so they understand why it needs to end."

Clements, of Los Angeles, said he's never tried to contact Souter. And it wasn't known if Souter himself would be home for the weekend.

"The justice doesn't have any comment about it," Kathy Arberg, a Supreme Court spokeswoman, said about the protesters' cause.

Bill Quigley, Weare deputy police chief, said if protesters show up, they're going to be told to stay across the street from a dirt road that leads to Souter's farmhouse, which is more than 200 years old.

Read more

Subject: Re: Group angry at Souter to visit his hometown this weekend

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/06 at 3:09 am

OK fellas, have fun driving up Route 13 to scream at the squirrels!  Jesus, you think I'm crazy!  Like I say, I only know where Weare is because my childhood home was just down the highway from there.  People who live in frikkin' Nashua don't know where Weare is!  These screwballs coming to town may be the best thing the Weare Chamber of Commerce could have wished for, especially in the middle of the g*ddam winter!  That is, IF Weare was big enough to have a chamber of commerce!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...