» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Israel vs. Iran

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/24/06 at 10:19 am

For the last few months, there's been a lot of saber-rattling going on between Israel and Iran, concerning the latter's nuclear ambitions. I'm sure a lot of you remember when the Israeli Air Force destroyed a nuclear reactor in Iraq back in 1981, and lately they've been threatening to do the same to Iran. I'd like to hear your opinions on this. Do you think Israel is for real or are they just bluffing? Do you think they would be justified in launching a pre-emptive strike on Iran's nuclear facilities? What do you think the consequences of such an action would be?
    Myself, I've got a bad feeling about this. I think Israel is going to do it, and it could very easily lead to a much wider conflict that could engulf the entire Middle East. However, given the recent statements by Iran's hard-line leadership, I almost can't say that I'd blame Israel. If Iran succeeds in manufacturing a nuclear weapon they will use it, I have little doubt. It almost seems like a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Subject: Re: Israel vs. Iran

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/24/06 at 11:22 am

There are several questions here.  Will Iran build a bomb?  Will it use it?  Will Isreal attack?  Other questions would involve the responses of the European powers, Russia, India, China, etc.

I think it is clear that Iran is trying to build a bomb, but I doubt they would use it themselves.  Remember MAD, mutually assured destruction?  They might give it to some terrorists though. 

I have no idea what Isreal will do.

I do hope that Russia, China, and India join the US and Europeans in pressuring Iran to cut the crap though.  That, I think, is the way out. 

Written By: witchain on 01/24/06 at 4:59 pm

I don't believe Iran would use a bomb either, unless provoked.
If Israel makes a pre-emptive strike all holy hell will break out (literally!), and we of course will be drug into it. That is not a pleasant thought.

Written By: La Roche on 01/24/06 at 8:37 pm

Iran is a country of 70 million people, not far off the size of Alaska. If they manage to build a bomb, a first strike is the only option i'm afraid.

In all honest, i'd rather see Israel attack then the middle east take the brunt of the attack than the rest of the world be affected.

Written By: witchain on 01/25/06 at 6:06 am

When it comes to Israel the rest of the world is always involved.
Everyone would pick a side and it could turn into WW III.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/25/06 at 6:28 am

I think the only thing anyone (of us) can do is hope that no one decides to drop one.  If we respect the sovereignty of each country than we cannot tell anyone that they can't build a bomb, and every country should say to any other country entertaining that thought that all alliances stop and condemn the country that is the one to use it first.  If Israel drops it on Iran, preemptive or not, Israel should lose all alliances and suffer the consequences.  That should be so in every case, even ours.

Written By: La Roche on 01/25/06 at 9:09 am

I think the only thing anyone (of us) can do is hope that no one decides to drop one.  If we respect the sovereignty of each country than we cannot tell anyone that they can't build a bomb, and every country should say to any other country entertaining that thought that all alliances stop and condemn the country that is the one to use it first.  If Israel drops it on Iran, preemptive or not, Israel should lose all alliances and suffer the consequences.  That should be so in every case, even ours.

See, this utopian idea is lovely but tell that to the Ayatollah. I don't know if Iran has any major allies?
Do they actually have anything to lose by destroying Israel? I can't think of anything.
The country is for the most part in poverty, they're blinded by a radical religious belief and are controlled by a man who has repeatedly called for the total destruction of Israel. If i'm sitting in Tel Aviv right now, my finger is inching further and futher toward the trigger.

Check for new replies or respond here...