» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Should Tuesday be the day?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/25/06 at 7:06 am

http://www.whytuesday.org/

As everyone in the United States who has ever voted knows, the midterm and general elections are always on the first Tuesday of November.  This date was passed in the 1800's because November was the easiest month and Tuesday the easiet day for farmers to vote.  Congress has the right to change the day and month of elections at will.

This somewhat new group wants to day to be Saturday because, they believe, it will give more people the chance to vote.  What is your opinion?

Personally I like getting off work early on election day.

Subject: Re: Should Tuesday be the day?

Written By: karen on 01/25/06 at 7:27 am

Personally I like getting off work early on election day.

Just checking this.  Does everyone get to finish early so they can go and vote?

In the UK the polling stations open at about 8.00 am (it might be 7.00 for General Elections) and close at 10.00 p.m.  That gives evry one the chance to vote.  Plus if you really can't get to the polling station you can have a postal vote.

Written By: Paul on 01/25/06 at 8:22 am

Just checking this.  Does everyone get to finish early so they can go and vote?

In the UK the polling stations open at about 8.00 am (it might be 7.00 for General Elections) and close at 10.00 p.m.  That gives evry one the chance to vote.  Plus if you really can't get to the polling station you can have a postal vote.

For some reason, in last year's general election here, all of us knocked off at 3:30...for 'voting purposes' (so the voices upstairs said...)

I've never had that luxury before...not that it mattered, because I didn't bother voting!

Written By: witchain on 01/25/06 at 8:43 am

Employers must give their employees the opportunity to vote.
It is not mandatory for them to close early.

Written By: karen on 01/25/06 at 9:37 am

For some reason, in last year's general election here, all of us knocked off at 3:30...for 'voting purposes' (so the voices upstairs said...)

I've never had that luxury before...not that it mattered, because I didn't bother voting!

I wonder which union they are in?  We had big pressure on us from union centrally to get members to vote Labour.  We did are usual and ignored them, just reminded people that they have a vote and should use it wisely

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/25/06 at 10:11 am

So why do we still vote on the first Tuesday after the first Saturday in November?  As Tevia (of Fidler on the Roof) said "Its a tradition".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/25/06 at 10:24 am

So why do we still vote on the first Tuesday after the first Saturday in November?

Are you sure of that?  In 2004 we voted on Tuesday, November 02.

Written By: Paul on 01/25/06 at 10:54 am

I wonder which union they are in?  We had big pressure on us from union centrally to get members to vote Labour.  We did are usual and ignored them, just reminded people that they have a vote and should use it wisely

Being the 'legal profession', you'd naturally assume they'd all be Tory boys...

Though it's difficult to ascertain these days, as Tone's got so many 'legal chums' on board...

Mind you, some of the law reforms he's been trying to push through of late has won him few friends in the profession...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/06 at 10:55 am

I don't think there are that many people who can vote but don't because of the day of the week. Polls are open before and after most working people's work hours, so the argument is pretty week so far.

The best argument for Saturday is that it doesn't require school to be closed on that day due to voting (if your town is like mine, they hold it at the high school or the elementary schools).

They should focus on making sure that when people do show up they aren't turned away or forced to wait long times, which has occured in swing states in the past.  They should also focus on more checks and balances for electronic voting (paper trail!).  I'm a software professional from what I've seen reported in the trade sites, the systems are way too easy to hack.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/06 at 11:28 am

I don't think there are that many people who can vote but don't because of the day of the week. Polls are open before and after most working people's work hours, so the argument is pretty week so far.

The best argument for Saturday is that it doesn't require school to be closed on that day due to voting (if your town is like mine, they hold it at the high school or the elementary schools).

They should focus on making sure that when people do show up they aren't turned away or forced to wait long times, which has occured in swing states in the past.  They should also focus on more checks and balances for electronic voting (paper trail!).  I'm a software professional from what I've seen reported in the trade sites, the systems are way too easy to hack.

I agree, Chucky. Also, if people can't get to polls on Election Day because of work-they can always do absentee voting.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 01/26/06 at 4:11 pm

I say leave it alone.

You can always vote by absentee ballot if you are unable to make it because of work or other commitment.  Not having time is as lame an excuse as "the dog ate my homework".

Written By: Satish on 01/26/06 at 7:04 pm

I think it's a good idea. If you consider that most people get off work at 5, and the polls close at 8 or 9, that only leaves a few hours to go and vote. And if you take into account all the other things people have to do in the evening, like commute back home, pick up the kids from school, and make dinner, there's probably quite a few voters who find they don't have the time to make it to the polls on election day.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/06 at 7:59 am

Employers are supposed to let employees out in enough time to vote.  Of course nothing says that they cannot exert subtle
pressure for people to stay.  I was supposed to work overtime one voting day, but said no, gotta go vote, there were others whose
employment was a bit more tenuous who didn't, fearing they would lose their jobs. 

Check for new replies or respond here...