» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ABC anchorman and cameraman severely injured in Iraq

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 4:51 pm

ABC News co-anchor Bob Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt were severely injured when the vehicle they were riding in was attacked...here's the story from AOL news...http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060129090309990001

Wishing both of them a speedy recovery.

Subject: Re: ABC anchorman and cameraman severely injured in Iraq

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/06 at 5:49 pm

I heard about this on George Stephanopoulos this morning.  It is sad, but it is also the way it is for anyone in Iraq today.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/06 at 7:41 pm

Perhaps the thought that he will be able to return to co-anchoring the ABC News with Elizabeth Vargas will be the motivation he needs to recover.

Saw her on TV tonight.  I swear she gets hotter every year/  :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 7:53 pm

I used to envy people like Peter Arnett and John McWethie....no more. It takes cojones I do NOT have to be a front-line reporter in a war zone! Those reporters put their lives on the line to tell us what's happening in Der Bushfuhrer's war...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/06 at 8:33 pm

I used to envy people like Peter Arnett and John McWethie....no more. It takes cojones I do NOT have to be a front-line reporter in a war zone! Those reporters put their lives on the line to tell us what's happening in Der Bushfuhrer's war...

They have put their lives on the line for fame and adventure.  Of course I wish him the best and a speedy recovery, but he entered a war zone and got a taste of what it's all about.  It is amazing how interlopers go over to Iraq and we try to politicize their "bad fortune" which was completely avoidable.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 9:11 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/06 at 5:55 am

So does it make their being attacked their own fault? Look, it's their JOB to go over there, and report accurately what is going on there, and to do that you have to be where it's happening. Look at reporters from other wars...guys like Ernie Pyle in WW2....I don't think they do it just for fame or adventure...they want the readers and TV viewers to know just what war is all about, that it's not anything to take lightly.

By no means am I saying it is his fault.  But at the same time he put himself in harms way, and harm obliged.  Much like that guy who was kidnapped/killed a year or so ago who was cruising Iraq selling cell phone tower equipment.  His family was all upset that the USA did not "protect him" when in fact he was on some sort of Indiana Jones fantasy trip.

I wish Bob Wooodruff well.  But the nature of his situation in Iraq had to do with how he makes money and it is not the product of any politician (whether Repub or Dem).

I saw on TV last night that Barbara Wawa was all upset that somebody from the New York Times mentioned that using "embedded journalists" was all part of a ratings stategy.  THE GALL of the Times to say that!  But it is the truth.  TV networks go by the ratings.  You can be 100% sure that if embedded reporters hurt the TV ratings you would not see them.

Fame and fortune... that is how TV works.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/06 at 6:24 am

[quote author=Ły

Check for new replies or respond here...