» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: John Kerry's lame filibuster attempt fails badly (Alito confirmed)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/30/06 at 5:30 pm

Vote for cloture (three-fifths or 60 votes required):

Ayes: 72
Nays: 25

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41212000/jpg/_41212718_alitoap203b.jpg
With 57 senators already declaring support for Samuel Alito, it's time to start calling him Justice Alito.  And just in time to rub it in the democrats' faces at the state of the union address.

Subject: Re: John Kerry's lame filibuster attempt fails badly

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/06 at 7:19 pm

All that shows me is the senate wants to abdicate as much Constitutional authority as possible to the executive branch.  Slowly, but surely, we are morphing into a one- party dictatorship.  The right-wing judiciary is insane.  Antonin Scalia believes the power vested in him to make judicial decisions comes directly from God.  And we call the Muslims "fanatics" when they say the same thing.  Alito was handpicked by the short-sightet* Bush cabinet in order to grab more power for themselves.  I'm sorry 2/3 of the Senate are either gung-ho fascists or spineless jellyfish.

*Short-sighted because the Right isn't going to like enhanced executive power in the hands of a liberal president.  If we get even a moderately conservative president, like Bill Clinton,  and say one or both houses return to Democratic hands, those Federalist Society azzh()les are gonna sing a whole different tune regarding "judicial activism."  A radically Right Supreme Court may be all they have if the people turn their backs on the Republican party.  Collective amnesia will arise regarding hate for "judicial activism," and suddenly the "judiciary" will be the most righteous and Godly branch of government.
Of course, the Right will soon perfect their formula for guaranteeing electoral outcomes in their favor...
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/06 at 7:06 am

All that shows me is the senate wants to abdicate as much Constitutional authority as possible to the executive branch.  Slowly, but surely, we are morphing into a one- party dictatorship.  The right-wing judiciary is insane.  Antonin Scalia believes the power vested in him to make judicial decisions comes directly from God.  And we call the Muslims "fanatics" when they say the same thing.  Alito was handpicked by the short-sightet* Bush cabinet in order to grab more power for themselves.  I'm sorry 2/3 of the Senate are either gung-ho fascists or spineless jellyfish.

*Short-sighted because the Right isn't going to like enhanced executive power in the hands of a liberal president.  If we get even a moderately conservative president, like Bill Clinton,  and say one or both houses return to Democratic hands, those Federalist Society azzh()les are gonna sing a whole different tune regarding "judicial activism."  A radically Right Supreme Court may be all they have if the people turn their backs on the Republican party.  Collective amnesia will arise regarding hate for "judicial activism," and suddenly the "judiciary" will be the most righteous and Godly branch of government.
Of course, the Right will soon perfect their formula for guaranteeing electoral outcomes in their favor...
::)

Here here.  I don't understand why people who consider themselves ones that are carrying on the torch of the rebel states are so lockstep in their thinking, and are so willing to vest so much power in an ever shrinking inner circle of the federal government i.e. the Whitheouse; that is what is happening.  Kennedy is the only one to stand up and say it like it is, if it was ole Strom mouthing the words they would be wetting themselves with glee.  Well I do understand it, but wish that they would admit that.  The shift towards a secret government, with uninformed(more so than now) public, has been will be accelerated with the confirmation of Alito.  The power that will be invested in the office of the President will come back to kick all of us, as we are being held in detention without the advice of counsel, our familly uninformed of our whereabouts.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/06 at 11:49 am

Remember when Reagan used to crow about how the Republicans were for smaller government?  My, such a quanit notion for the current ruling class isn't it?  Scalito wants a stronger executive branch, meaning more federal control.  Good job by the Republicans, a short term power grab further erodes their "core principles" quite well.

Bush is claiming the Democrats are the ones with the partisan vote, but seeing even the so-called pro-choice Republicans voted for this idealogue, I think they're far more partisan in this matter.

Subject: Re: John Kerry's lame filibuster attempt fails badly (Alito confirmed)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/31/06 at 12:22 pm

Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to add to the headline.  Alito has been confirmed with a bipartisan vote of 58-42.  54 of the 55 republicans and four democrats (Johnson of South Dakota, Nelson of Nebraska, Byrd of West Virginia and Conrad of North Dakota).  The one republican voting against Alito was Chafee of Rhode Island.

It's a great day when the far-left is deeply saddened.

Written By: EthanM on 01/31/06 at 1:58 pm

Why is it a great day? Do you revel in the suffering of the progressive-minded? Because terrorists do that

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/31/06 at 3:15 pm

Great, now they'll be only half as much forest, public executions, and freedom for rich people to have as much money and hurt as many people as they want.

Woo-hoo.

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 4:44 pm

Somehow I don't see Alito being another Sandra Day.  But of course Papa Bush. (Father of Shrub) thought he had gotten the proper Conservative Judge through, his apointment is the most Liberal on the bench.  One can only hope Shrub has made the same error!!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/06 at 4:53 pm

Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to add to the headline.  Alito has been confirmed with a bipartisan vote of 58-42.  54 of the 55 republicans and four democrats (Johnson of South Dakota, Nelson of Nebraska, Byrd of West Virginia and Conrad of North Dakota).  The one republican voting against Alito was Chafee of Rhode Island.

4 Democrats... wow! That certainly is bi-partisan.  All Democrats in states generally considered red and within the Bible belt too!

There's a reason those guys voted for this guy.  They have to worry about getting re-elected, and gain brownie points with the voters on a measure they knew wouldn't pass anyways.  It makes them look less liberal.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/31/06 at 5:08 pm

democrats R.I.P.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/31/06 at 5:38 pm

Somehow I don't see Alito being another Sandra Day.  But of course Papa Bush. (Father of Shrub) thought he had gotten the proper Conservative Judge through, his apointment is the most Liberal on the bench.  One can only hope Shrub has made the same error!!!!

A 15 year paper trail of conservative rulings and you honestly think Alito will be the next Souter?  Come on.

Besides, the biggest liberal on the court that was nominated by a republican is John Paul Stevens, who was put on by Ford.

4 Democrats... wow! That certainly is bi-partisan.  All Democrats in states generally considered red and within the Bible belt too!

Same can be said for Chafee.  This is going to hurt him in his republican primary this year against conservative Cranston, RI mayor Steve Laffey who has condemed his vote on Alito.

They have to worry about getting re-elected

And blue state republicans up for reelection this year like Santorum and Snowe don't?

Why is it a great day? Do you revel in the suffering of the progressive-minded?

What is "progressive" and who gets to define it?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/06 at 7:35 pm

Remember when Reagan used to crow about how the Republicans were for smaller government?  My, such a quanit notion for the current ruling class isn't it?  Scalito wants a stronger executive branch, meaning more federal control.  Good job by the Republicans, a short term power grab further erodes their "core principles" quite well.

Bush is claiming the Democrats are the ones with the partisan vote, but seeing even the so-called pro-choice Republicans voted for this idealogue, I think they're far more partisan in this matter.

Reagan never clarified what "small government" really meant.  It means convoluted mega-bureaucracies to act a sieves for tax dollars, but a very small core of people in government who actually have decision-making power.  I think the Bushian dystopia would resemble Terry Gilliam's film Brazil.
:o

First of all, you rarely hear the opinions of the REAL far-left in the main stream media.  Most would consider me far-left, but I my take on this government has gone from tragedy to farce!  I'm very disappointed in Byrd, but I guess I can forgive an old man for stumbling.  Hats off to Chafee! He ought to just quit the Repugs, it would make everybody involved a lot happier!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/06 at 7:46 pm

I have to laugh at threads like these b/c the group that most republicans screw first are those that voted for them (and I'm not referring to the rich ones, of course!).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/06 at 8:03 pm

I have to laugh at threads like these b/c the group that most republicans screw first are those that voted for them (and I'm not referring to the rich ones, of course!).

Hey, if you've got throat cancer and no money, one of those medical savings accounts will come in real handy!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 8:09 pm

Here here.  I don't understand why people who consider themselves ones that are carrying on the torch of the rebel states are so lockstep in their thinking, and are so willing to vest so much power in an ever shrinking inner circle of the federal government i.e. the Whitheouse; that is what is happening.  Kennedy is the only one to stand up and say it like it is, if it was ole Strom mouthing the words they would be wetting themselves with glee.   Well I do understand it, but wish that they would admit that.  The shift towards a secret government, with uninformed(more so than now) public, has been will be accelerated with the confirmation of Alito.  The power that will be invested in the office of the President will come back to kick all of us, as we are being held in detention without the advice of counsel, our familly uninformed of our whereabouts.
It's like if we're not one of Bush the Second's wealthy Republican friends....we're screwed!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/06 at 8:10 pm

Hey, if you've got throat cancer and no money, one of those medical savings accounts will come in real handy!

lol

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 8:15 pm

This administration is the most paranoid, power-mad, corrupt to the core, screw the 'little guy' administration we've had since Nixon was in office! The only thing missing is a break-in at Democratic National Headquarters.....and we're stuck with this clown until Inauguration Day 2009!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/06 at 8:18 pm

This administration is the most paranoid, power-mad, corrupt to the core, screw the 'little guy' administration we've had since Nixon was in office! The only thing missing is a break-in at Democratic National Headquarters.....and we're stuck with this clown until Inauguration Day 2009!

Yup! I am laughing my Californian liberal azz off b/c I know they will screw the red states over tenfold!!! hahahaha - see what happens when you let big words fool ya or go over your head!!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/31/06 at 8:19 pm

I'm very disappointed in Byrd, but I guess I can forgive an old man for stumbling.

http://www.byrd.senate.gov/newsroom/news_jan/alito.html

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/06 at 2:04 pm

http://www.byrd.senate.gov/newsroom/news_jan/alito.html

In advance of the Senate

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/06 at 6:44 pm

Much different tone than the one he took for the confirmation of Condoleeza Rice

{http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/105241.jpg}

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/01/06 at 8:52 pm

You could just link to the article you know?

Fixed.

Written By: spaceace on 02/02/06 at 12:31 pm

Alito's first week on the Supreme Court and already he's going against the grain.  Apparently he believes that three doses of lethal can be constituted as "cruel and unusual  punishment". 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/02/06 at 1:29 pm

Alito's first week on the Supreme Court and already he's going against the grain.  Apparently he believes that three doses of lethal can be constituted as "cruel and unusual  punishment". 

You're letting your wishful thinking get ahead of what really happened.  Alito said during his confirmation hearings that if at least four other justices wanted to extend a STAY of execution, he'd go along with it to hear my evidence.

The man is clearly for the death penalty, see his record on the third curcuit.

Written By: spaceace on 02/21/06 at 9:56 am

Oh well, I guess the poor sucker's defense rest. 

Check for new replies or respond here...