» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: State of the Union

Written By: Tia on 02/01/06 at 11:15 am

I heard dubbles brought up being addicted to oil. gotta admit that surprised me. what's his game?

I was less surprised to hear he was pretty much "tough" on everybody and everything, from terrorists to immigrants to poor people. and that he spent half as much time talking about new orleans than the republicans spent applauding him.

Subject: Re: State of the Union

Written By: karen on 02/01/06 at 11:17 am

here's a loink to how it is being reported in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4665758.stm

Written By: Tia on 02/01/06 at 11:22 am

i thought it was funny dubbers played off the whole common misconception that we get most of our oil from the ME. he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, ole' dubbies, but he's so in with the oil biz i have a funny feeling he KNOWS all our oil comes from canada, mexico and venezuela.

anyway, i'm all for finding alternative sources of energy but i have to admit i'm suspicious. what's he doing?

Written By: McDonald on 02/01/06 at 12:19 pm

what's he doing?

Expressing an ironic sense of humour? (Yeah right!) Maybe just bold-faced lying...

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/06 at 2:11 pm

It's called misdirection.  He knows there's little that can be done in the immediate time-frame to lessen our demand on oil.  So it's easy to talk about spending a little more money on research.  Kind of like how the car companies boast about their research while begging for the CAFE requirements to be rolled back or halted. 

Nothing he proposes will impact the staggering profits the oil companies are reaping since he took office.

On the other hand, last year he boasted about the huge changes for Social Security, and that certainly didn't work out too well.  So he pulls out the usual "blame the Democrats if Iraq doesn't work out" speech and doesn't propose anything too hard to shoot for.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/01/06 at 8:44 pm

The good: "Yet the tax relief is set to expire in the next few years. If we do nothing, American families will face a massive tax increase they do not expect and will not welcome. Because America needs more than a temporary expansion, we need more than temporary tax relief. I urge the Congress to act responsibly, and make the tax cuts permanent."

The bad: "Our government has a responsibility to help provide health care for the poor and the elderly."

The ugly: "And we must have a rational, humane guest worker program that rejects amnesty, allows temporary jobs for people who seek them...."

Overall, I give it a 'C'.

Here is a transcript of this year's state of the union address.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/06 at 8:57 pm

i thought it was funny dubbers played off the whole common misconception that we get most of our oil from the ME. he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, ole' dubbies, but he's so in with the oil biz i have a funny feeling he KNOWS all our oil comes from canada, mexico and venezuela.

anyway, i'm all for finding alternative sources of energy but i have to admit i'm suspicious. what's he doing?

it's ok... he didn't mean it

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/nation/13767738.htm?source=rss&channel=krwashington_nation

One day after President Bush vowed to reduce America's dependence on Middle East oil by cutting imports from there 75 percent by 2025, his energy secretary and national economic adviser said Wednesday that the president didn't mean it literally.

Which parts of his speach did he really mean?  Probably none of it would be my guess.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 02/01/06 at 11:14 pm

I heard dubbles brought up being addicted to oil. gotta admit that surprised me. what's his game?

;D  That caught me off guard too.  I go to CNN.com this morning (I wasn't able to watch it last night) and see in huge print "BUSH VOWS TO END OIL DEPENDENCE," or something to that effect.  I was floored, to say the least.

it's ok... he didn't mean it

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/nation/13767738.htm?source=rss&channel=krwashington_nation

One day after President Bush vowed to reduce America's dependence on Middle East oil by cutting imports from there 75 percent by 2025, his energy secretary and national economic adviser said Wednesday that the president didn't mean it literally.

Which parts of his speach did he really mean?  Probably none of it would be my guess.

Well, that's a relief!  The last thing we want is an honest politician!

::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 1:41 pm

It gets beter

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/02/politics/02energy.html?hp&ex=1138942800&en=884f904a8b1146b8&ei=5094&partner=homepage

He's laying off researchers but increasing funding.  Gee, where's that money going to go?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/06 at 6:08 pm

A conglomeration of duckbilled platitudes masking the lies and incompetence of his policies.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/06 at 6:15 pm

The state of the Union (that is the country, NOT the speech) can be summed up by:

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/blog/images/july05/tanks_bush.jpg

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/06 at 6:37 pm

The state of the Union (that is the country, NOT the speech) can be summed up by:

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/blog/images/july05/tanks_bush.jpg

Cat

Yup, that would sum it up pretty much.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/03/06 at 12:51 am

George W. Bush gave us the same old lies.....they should hook him up to a polygraph during the NEXT state of the union address...the machine would graph off the charts...and then blow up!

Maybe Barbara did not put enough pepper in his mouth when lil' George lied....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/03/06 at 9:18 pm

I was less surprised to hear he was pretty much "tough" on everybody and everything, from terrorists to immigrants to poor people. and that he spent half as much time talking about new orleans than the republicans spent applauding him.

He has an agenda.  All American politicians, except John McCain, do.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/11/06 at 12:36 pm

I don't get to watch the news much these days.

Did he say anything about the NCLB?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/06 at 2:33 pm

I don't get to watch the news much these days.

Did he say anything about the NCLB?

Never Credit Lying Bush

Check for new replies or respond here...