» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: America. Number 1? Maybe not...

Written By: McDonald on 02/08/06 at 9:44 am

http://www.citypages.com/databank/26/1264/article12985.asp

Apparently, the U.S. ranks pretty low on almost every international survey in comparison with the other developed nation. For instance, in child poverty, only Mexico scores lower than us. Take a look. Interesting article from the Austin Chronicle.

Subject: Re: America. Number 1? Maybe not...

Written By: La Roche on 02/08/06 at 9:47 am

That's pretty damning.

Granted a lot of those sources are from different newspapers etc and could conceivably have been taken out of context. Any articles like this are usually made to look more extreme than they actually are, but just the fact that there could be such an article suggests that certain things are going wrong.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/06 at 12:13 pm

http://www.citypages.com/databank/26/1264/article12985.asp

Apparently, the U.S. ranks pretty low on almost every international survey in comparison with the other developed nation. For instance, in child poverty, only Mexico scores lower than us. Take a look. Interesting article from the Austin Chronicle.

In our case it's because we have government of the people by the corporations for the corporations.  The only things Bush is committed to are tax cuts for the rich and government spending on the military-industrial complex.  Even soldiers and veterans are getting the shaft.  We Americans have to learn not to vote for politicians who think the answer to every human need is "f**k you!"  We Americans must realize we live in a Latin American country, economically speaking, not a European country.  Since we elected Ronald Reagan, America has become a poor country with illusions of prosperity.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/08/06 at 1:42 pm

Can someone please explain to me WHERE the "tax cuts for the rich" are?  The only thing that I saw being cut in my taxes this year was the amount of our allowable deductions, which in turn, "cut" our refund ???

http://www.factcheck.org/article145.html

These are the tax cuts that were enacted a couple years ago, which Bush is pushing to make permanent.  Most of the cut is for people making over $85,000 a year, they don't have to pay for Social Security past that bracket. That means the majority of people will not see that particular tax cut.  It adds up to quite a bit for people once they get into the tiers past $100K.  Remember how Bush last year cried about how SS was broken?  Guess who's helping to break it by removing money from it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/06 at 7:36 pm

Can someone please explain to me WHERE the "tax cuts for the rich" are?  The only thing that I saw being cut in my taxes this year was the amount of our allowable deductions, which in turn, "cut" our refund ???

What's your problem?  Do you think you're rich because you've got six figures per annum and live a cushy life?  That ain't the kinda rich I'm talking about.  At least you've got the sense not to vote Republican.  A lot of people in your bracket vote Republican because they think they're among the financial elite. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/06 at 2:49 pm

According to the IRS, we fall into the highest tax bracket, which I think excludes us from being "working" or "middle" class.  Therefore, we should be getting a "huge tax cut" according to some people and I just don't see it.  I KNOW we're far from "financial elite", but according to even Chucky's figures above, we should be getting a huge cut and it's just not there.  Like I said, unless I'm missing something, I can't see much change in our taxes (except that our refund keeps going down) over the past 7-10 years and hubby's salary hasn't changed that much over those years.

Depends on what you mean by bracket.  It is not not not my business to know how much you've got a year, but if you are in the top percentile income and you are not getting a giant tax cut, then "hubby" needs to hire a better tax lawyer!  Also, if hubby "earns" more of his income from actual work he does than he makes off of capital gains, he's not really among the foilks the Bushies have in mind when they say "tax cut." 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:06 pm

Second to MEXICO?? WTF?

Anyway, America is pretty overrated.  We don't have full freedom, thanks to PC, our kids are treated like crap with the schools and stuff, our environment is being raped by the Bush Administration, and of course we border on being a theocracy in some ways.

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 10:04 pm

I remember reading somewhere in the 50s the highest tax bracket was 59%.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/09/06 at 10:56 pm

Anyway, America is pretty overrated.

We're currently #12 when it comes to economic freedom.

Hong Kong is #1.  John Stossel did a nice piece comparing the economic freedom of Hong Kong and India and how it effects them.

High taxes and excessive regulation must be defeated.

Written By: McDonald on 02/10/06 at 12:57 pm

We're currently #13 when it comes to economic freedom.  Canada and some of Europe rank in the upper 70's.  Other parts of Europe (France, Germany, etc.) rank in the low 100's!

Hong Kong is #1.  John Stossel did a nice piece comparing the economic freedom of Hong Kong and India and how it effects them.

High taxes and excessive regulation must be defeated.

I don't know which index you are using, but the Heritage Foundation's Index of Economic Freedom lists Canada as #12. It might also interest you to know that Iceland, the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg and Denmark all rank above the US (who ties w/ Australia and New Zealand at #9) and all these countries have highly advanced welfare states and higher taxes than the U.S.

Germany, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, and the Netherlands all rank in the the top 20.

It will please you that France is number 44.

Look for yourself: http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/countries.cfm

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Foundation) describes the Heritage Foundation as a "conservative think-tank" in case you were wondering about liberal bias.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/10/06 at 3:56 pm

"Our" income is in the highest tax % bracket (31%, I think).  And, no, we don't make jack squat off of dividends (I think we got around $500 this year, almost all of which  went to expenses).  Like I said, I think we need someone "new" to do our taxes :-\\ 

You didn't see the breaks to the rich because the breaks come into the class of people who have lots of unearned income.  Trust funds, dividends, leagacies,
that sort of thing. It is the wealthy, as opposed to the rich, who are getting the breaks.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/10/06 at 8:47 pm

I don't know which index you are using......

Well my statistics on America are dated, in 2005 we were #12, but I still screwed up big time, especially on the other nations.  It's been corrected.  My mistake.  This is what I remember reading when I wrote what ranking America was:

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20050112-093355-1391r.htm

Glad to see we moved up from 12 to a three-way tie for #9 between 2005 and 2006.  It says something that countries that have higher taxes are more economically free.  Our government spending is out of control, and it's noted in the report.

And I know exactly what the Heritage Foundation is.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/06 at 9:28 pm

I don;t know if the US of A is #1 or not...

But France is definitely Number Two.

;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/06 at 10:16 pm

Well my statistics on America are dated, in 2005 we were #12, but I still screwed up big time, especially on the other nations.  It's been corrected.  My mistake.  This is what I remember reading when I wrote what ranking America was:

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20050112-093355-1391r.htm

Glad to see we moved up from 12 to a three-way tie for #9 between 2005 and 2006.  It says something that countries that have higher taxes can be economically free.  Our government spending is out of control, and it's noted in the report.

And I know exactly what the Heritage Foundation is.

Good to know you know the Heritage Foundation is a tool of the military-industrial complex and the "kill the poor" contingent!
;)
Besides, America should strive NOT to be in the Top 10 on all measures of social health.  We don't want to come off as arrogant overachievers, now do we?
:P

[quote author=Ły

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/10/06 at 10:41 pm

Why did I just see a overweight longshoreman sitting in a beat up armchair whilst smoking a cheap cigar and drinking a can of no-name beer?

http://www.apocalypsefiction.com/isstwo/arch.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/06 at 12:47 am

[quote author=Ły

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/11/06 at 3:46 am

Yes, what with them not having succumed to ridiculous political correctness.

A thriving economy.

and of course, actually standing up to some of the fanatical religious groups.

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/06 at 2:45 pm

Yes, what with them not having succumed to ridiculous political correctness.
Having marvelous public facilities.
No significant national debt.
A thriving economy.
A strong sense of national pride.
An excellent standard of living.
and of course, actually standing up to some of the fanatical religious groups.

Yeah, France sucks the big one  ;) ;D

(The last time O'Reilly let Michael Moore on his program, O'Reilly was doing his usual France-and-Canada bashing.)
Michael Moore: Ever been to France?
Bill O'Reilly: Yes.
Michael Moore: Nice place.  Ever been to Canada?
Bill O'Reilly: Yes
Michael Moore: Nice place...
Bill O'Reilly: Well...I wouldn't want to have their health care system!

I mean, that's what it comes down to with the American Right.  They bash the other western democracies (maybe I shouldn't say "other" here) because these countries insure the welfare of the regular folks, not just the corporations and the rich.  Monty Smithers and his ilk don't want you to like France because they have a 35-hour work week and a higher quality of life.
However, there is quite a bit of poverty and racial tension out there in the Franco-Muslim 'burbs, as we saw with the riots a little while back.  You also see some deplorable conditions for First Nations peoples  in Canada, so these societies are not utopian by any means.
One thing about poverty in the western European democracies is it tends to be cash poverty.  Poor folks just don't have much money to spend.  They are not threatened with eviction, hunger, and no access to healthcare, unlike in America.
::)

http://www.apocalypsefiction.com/isstwo/arch.jpg

Wouldja stifle there, Meathead, huh!

Check for new replies or respond here...