» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is Fairness really something we should try to attain?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/13/06 at 7:08 pm

Now of course a perfect world would be perfectly fair, but does fairness necessarily make the world a better place?  After all a lot of horrible things are done in the name of fairness.

Let's say I lost my job, and the guy that works less hard than me, but still does a goob job doesn't.  If the guy lost his job too, it would be fair, but would the world be any better?  In my opinion it's only for the worse, even if it's more fair.

In some situations fairness is for the better though.  Let's say I got 30 bucks stolen from me from a friend.  If I stole a few Hamiltons back from him 2 months later, and he realized how wrong it was and we reconciled fairness would indeed be a virtue in that case.

Subject: Re: Is Fairness really something we should try to attain?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/06 at 9:15 pm

Yes.  Fairness is something we should attain.  Not try.  Attain it.
Equality in all areas of life is impossible.  The Left often talks about "inequality."  The real problem is not "inequality," but "injustice."  The Right does not promote "inequality" so much as they promote "injustice."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/14/06 at 4:08 am

Yes.  Fairness is something we should attain.  Not try.  Attain it.
Equality in all areas of life is impossible.  The Left often talks about "inequality."  The real problem is not "inequality," but "injustice."  The Right does not promote "inequality" so much as they promote "injustice."

I see what you mean, I think: you mean that people should get what they deserve, but not an eye for an eye?  Because I would definitely agree with that.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/14/06 at 4:59 am

I thought this was going to be a thread on the fairness doctrine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/06 at 5:24 pm

I thought this was going to be a thread on the fairness doctrine.

Yeah, I wish we could bring the Fairness Doctrine back.  It's better than the corporate-shill doctrine we have now!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/15/06 at 3:07 am

Yeah, I wish we could bring the Fairness Doctrine back.

What would happen to the good people at Air America?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/06 at 10:29 pm

What would happen to the good people at Air America?

Let's see, who said they were good?
???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/15/06 at 11:10 pm

Let's see, who said they were good?
???

I did.

What would happen to them?  You listen to them.  Don't you care?

Check for new replies or respond here...