» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Stolen Generation

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 5:17 pm

Any Aussie on the board would probably know about the Stolen Generation of Aborigines.  What are your thoughts on this?  I think it is comparable to a holocaust.

Subject: Re: Stolen Generation

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/06 at 8:44 pm

Care to expand? I'm not sure t'what you're referring.
???

Written By: Satish on 02/28/06 at 9:13 pm

Care to expand? I'm not sure t'what you're referring.
???

This should explain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generation

It's about the process in Australia where children of Aborigines were forcibly removed from their families and placed into foster homes or government run institutions in order to assimilate them into the majority white population.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/01/06 at 11:21 pm

I'm an Aussie, as you pbly already know, and like most Australians I know next nothing about aboriginal affairs. Just something we hear on the news etc, which we forget the moment we turn off the TV. We might say, 'that's so terrible and inhumane' and the next moment criticise aborigines for being lazy, good for nothings.etc. Not saying this is done deliberately, but we tend to be subconsciously contradictory. I know it's a black chapter in our history, and perhaps an example of the bigotry of one civilisation which thinks it is 'superior.'

Written By: gmann on 03/02/06 at 12:57 pm

I know it's a black chapter in our history, and perhaps an example of the bigotry of one civilisation which thinks it is 'superior.'

It's nothing new, unfortunately. History if full of examples of one group walking all over a so-called "weak" or "savage" civilzation for its own gain. One can cite several instances of this in the colonization of the New World, especially in Central and South America. Of course, the British didn't treat Native Americans much better here in the colonies. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/02/06 at 2:50 pm

It's nothing new, unfortunately. History if full of examples of one group walking all over a so-called "weak" or "savage" civilzation for its own gain. One can cite several instances of this in the colonization of the New World, especially in Central and South America. Of course, the British didn't treat Native Americans much better here in the colonies. 

While it is true that millions of Indians died during the Spanish conquests, that was not the Spanish intention.  Certainly they tried to anililate Indian culture (but were only partly successful).  In British America, on the other hand, the policy was "the only good Indian is a dead Indian".  There was also a "stolen generation" in this country, ie forced acculturation much like in Austrailia.  Abominable in all cases.

Check for new replies or respond here...