» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Create a Political Party!

Written By: McDonald on 03/01/06 at 6:57 pm

What is the perfect political party according to you? This doesn't strictly have to be desinged for the American political system. Just give us details.

Subject: Re: Create a Political Party!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 7:01 pm

A party that:

*Was pro-environment
*Had relatively low taxes, but good services by cutting pork
*Upheld as much peace as possible (however, "world policeman" could be good in some cases.  Iraq isn't one of them.)
*Was tolerant, but not endorsing of subcultures and religions
*Kept crime off the streets, without being barbaric
*Was relatively uncontrolling of people, or truly represented the people
*Was Gangsta!  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/01/06 at 7:30 pm

What is the perfect political party according to you? This doesn't strictly have to be desinged for the American political system. Just give us details.

My perfect political party would be based on giving people equal opportunities... but with people reaping the benefits and/or suffering the consequences for their choices.  All people, regardless of their family's income, regardless of their intelligence, would be given the opportunity to be trained for a trade or profession that would allow them to live comfortably.   For those who choose not to take advantage of those opportunities, welfare would consist of only food, housing, day care (for those who are able to work), medical care, and other necessities.  There would be no such thing as a "welfare check".   Those who were laid off or otherwise "looking for work" would be temporarily hired by the government to clean streets, do clerical work (if qualified), if they were not able to live on their own savings, etc.

Those with disabilities that prevent them from working would be given financial assistance... and businesses would be given a nice tax deduction for hiring disabled people and making accomadations for them.   

The government support money being saved would go toward providing housing and education to those in need.

Things that don't interfere with the public's lives (such as gay marriage, abortion, medicinal marijuana) would be allowed.   Things that do adversely interfere with the public's lives (such as gangs, drunk driving, theft) would be dealt with harshly.

As far as international relations, I'd say we stay out of their affairs... but the other countries should be prepared to stop receiving aid from us.  Legitimate trade is fine... but that's all.  Our military should be top notch, but more concentrated on our own defense than overseas activity.

I guess most of my beliefs would follow this same pattern... its time that people, cities, states and countries start taking responsibility for themselves and not relying on others to carry them, and blaming others for their misfortunes... which is why I support equal opportunity so much... this way there's no excuse.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/06 at 7:50 pm

Equality for ALL (including gay marriage)
Religious freedom
Socialize healthcare
Socialize education (including higher education)
Pro-enviorment
Legalization of marijuana
Campaign finance limitations
Pay as you go-spending. Not borrow the hell out of the country.
Get rid of waste in Government-i.e. taxpayers $$$ to build a bridge to nowhere and defense contracts to the likes of Halliburton.
Instant Run-off Elections

Yes, these are all domestic issues. As for foriegn affairs-I think we should clean our own back yard before trying to create "our way of life" in other parts of the world.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/06 at 8:20 pm

Of the people, by the people, for the people, sums it up.  Of course the Supreme Court would have to reverse that ruling that states
that legally a company has the legal standing of a person.  I just can't grasp that one. ???

Written By: Red Ant on 03/01/06 at 8:38 pm

A party that:

*Was pro-environment
*Had relatively low taxes, but good services by cutting pork
*Upheld as much peace as possible (however, "world policeman" could be good in some cases.  Iraq isn't one of them.)
*Was tolerant, but not endorsing of subcultures and religions
*Kept crime off the streets, without being barbaric
*Was relatively uncontrolling of people, or truly represented the people
*Was Gangsta!  ;D

My perfect political party would be based on giving people equal opportunities... but with people reaping the benefits and/or suffering the consequences for their choices.  All people, regardless of their family's income, regardless of their intelligence, would be given the opportunity to be trained for a trade or profession that would allow them to live comfortably.   For those who choose not to take advantage of those opportunities, welfare would consist of only food, housing, day care (for those who are able to work), medical care, and other necessities.  There would be no such thing as a "welfare check".   Those who were laid off or otherwise "looking for work" would be temporarily hired by the government to clean streets, do clerical work (if qualified), if they were not able to live on their own savings, etc.

Those with disabilities that prevent them from working would be given financial assistance... and businesses would be given a nice tax deduction for hiring disabled people and making accomadations for them.   

The government support money being saved would go toward providing housing and education to those in need.

Things that don't interfere with the public's lives (such as gay marriage, abortion, medicinal marijuana) would be allowed.   Things that do adversely interfere with the public's lives (such as gangs, drunk driving, theft) would be dealt with harshly.

As far as international relations, I'd say we stay out of their affairs... but the other countries should be prepared to stop receiving aid from us.  Legitimate trade is fine... but that's all.  Our military should be top notch, but more concentrated on our own defense than overseas activity.

I guess most of my beliefs would follow this same pattern... its time that people, cities, states and countries start taking responsibility for themselves and not relying on others to carry them, and blaming others for their misfortunes... which is why I support equal opportunity so much... this way there's no excuse.

Equality for ALL (including gay marriage)
Religious freedom
Socialize healthcare
Socialize education (including higher education)
Pro-enviorment
Legalization of marijuana
Campaign finance limitations
Pay as you go-spending. Not borrow the hell out of the country.
Get rid of waste in Government-i.e. taxpayers $$$ to build a bridge to nowhere and defense contracts to the likes of Halliburton.
Instant Run-off Elections

Yes, these are all domestic issues. As for foriegn affairs-I think we should clean our own back yard before trying to create "our way of life" in other parts of the world.

Cat

Aside from what I struck through on Darko's post, this would be pretty much an ideal party IMO. So why the hell doesn't anyone run on a platform like this?

Most of what I was going to list is more of law changes (which IMO we need a major overhaul) or an ideal country than political party.

Things that don't interfere with the public's lives (such as gay marriage, abortion, medicinal marijuana) would be allowed.  Things that do adversely interfere with the public's lives (such as gangs, drunk driving, theft) would be dealt with harshly.

Well, theft is already pretty much there, it is just the enforcement of existing laws. AFAIK any theft over 200$ is grand larceny and already a felony.

Virigina passed 20 new provisions/laws last summer (or maybe it was in 2004) raising the penalties substantially against drunk driving.

Of the people, by the people, for the people, sums it up.  Of course the Supreme Court would have to reverse that ruling that states
that legally a company has the legal standing of a person.  I just can't grasp that one. ???

Agree there too, but you lost me on the company/legal standing thing.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/01/06 at 9:10 pm

Well, theft is already pretty much there, it is just the enforcement of existing laws. AFAIK any theft over 200$ is grand larceny and already a felony.

Yeah, but it's still usually just a night in jail... if that.  Personally, I'd rather see "I am a thief" tattooed on their foreheads for a couple years for all to see... but of course, that's not realistic... ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 03/01/06 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, but it's still usually just a night in jail... if that.   Personally, I'd rather see "I am a thief" tattooed on their foreheads for a couple years for all to see... but of course, that's not realistic... ::)

True on jailtime* but a felony conviction is a lifetime ban from voting and owning guns and adopting and ...

*Depends on the circumstances. Recently I know of someone who got 6 years for grand theft (250$ value stolen, a decent DVD player) since he had multiple prior theft and drug convictions.

If that had been his first charge he might have walked with probation and the charge reduced to a misdemeanor.

Having been on the receiving end of a grand theft twice (neither time the suspects were caught), I must say that if I had caught the people myself they'd have gotten a hell of a lot more than a tattoo.

Written By: McDonald on 03/01/06 at 9:52 pm

I do not support a ban on voting for convicted felons. Everyone 18+ who is not legally declared mentally incapable should have the right to vote, felon or not.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 9:56 pm

I do not support a ban on voting for convicted felons. Everyone 18+ who is not legally declared mentally incapable should have the right to vote, felon or not.

I agree.  The government is supposed to represent the people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/06 at 10:17 pm

ASIAN LATIN BLACK AND WHITE
WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/06 at 10:35 pm

OK, here are a few views that I would put as a "Plank" if I was to start a new party:

1.  Term limits.  This applies for all elected officials.  5 terms for the House, 3 for the Senate, 2 for Executive.  And that would apply for Federal, State, and Local levels.

2.  No discrimination.  None, for any reason.  "Hate Groups" to be hunted down and eliminated through education.  If that does not work, incarceration as a last resort.

3.  Universal employment, hand-in-hand with universal welfare.  But if the person refuses to work, then they get nothing.  Work can be something as simple as picking up trash along a highway or in a city park for a few hours a week, to attending school full-time (in the hope that at the end they will have usefull job skill).

4.  Make it easier to "homestead".  There are millions of acres of land owned by the BLM, largely sitting vacant.  Set up a system to let people buy (or long term lease) this land, for either residential or agricultural use.  No commercial or industrial uses allowed.

5.  Change the regressive tax rules for US flagged ships.  One reason so many ships owned by US Corporations are flagged overseas, is because the taxes are so high, it is impossible to make a profit if they were US flagged.  Change this, to bring that money back into the US.  Give firther breaks to ships that are built in the US.  This will also stimulate the sale of US built ships, a large undustry that has largely gone overseas in the last 50 years.  Not a subsidy, but an incentive.  The amount lost in per-ship revenue will be more then made up for by the increased volume.

6.  Set up "Recripricol Tarrifs" with foreign nations.  If they put in restrictive terrifs for goods we export, place the same restrictions on goods they export to the US.  This will make for a level playing field, and will return some of the jobs exported in the last 40 years to return to the US.  Fair trading partners will be reqarded, and unfair trading partners will be punished.

7.  Require overseas holdings of US Corporations to follow basic US Regulations.  IN other words, since the minimum age to work in the US is 16, no overseas facilities of US Companies can employ children under the age of 16.  This would apply to all safety, living wage, and working condition laws.  Companies that do not comply to be fined and punished in the same way as if the location was in the US.

8.  Strict conservation laws.  Companies that recycle are to be given an incentive to recycle, and to use recycled materials.  Companies that deal with the use of natural resources (mining, oil drilling, timber, etc) are to be carefully monitored.  As long as they show a track record of returning areas to original or better condition, they would be rewarded with extended rights.  If they show themselves to be destructive to the environment, they are to be punished, even to the extend of having all such rights denied.

Now I am sure a lot of people are wondering "What the heck is he thinking?"  Those are not listed in any particular order, simply the order that they came to mind.  And many of those, it would be impossible for me to say "this is more important then that".  And I am sure that a lot in here will be surprised or even shocked with some of the things I listed.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/06 at 10:40 pm

I agree.  The government is supposed to represent the people.

The removal of voting rights to Felons goes way back to "Common Law".

If you commit a felony, you basically loose some of your Constitutional Rights.  This is because you have proven yourself to be unconcerned with the Constitutional RIghts of others.

And do you really want some of these people to have a choice in what kinds of laws are voted in?  Do you want a convicted pedophile to have a right in antimolestation laws?  Do you want somebody convicted of a "Hate Crime" to decide on laws reguarding the rights of minorities?  Do you want somebody convicted of a major crime to be sitting on a jury?

Written By: Red Ant on 03/01/06 at 11:11 pm

If you commit a felony, you basically loose some of your Constitutional Rights.  This is because you have proven yourself to be unconcerned with the Constitutional RIghts of others.

Not all felony convictions though have to do with a lack of concern for others Constitutional rights. Most felony drug possession convictions fall into this category IMO.

And do you really want some of these people to have a choice in what kinds of laws are voted in?

Who are "these people"?  ???

Do you want a convicted pedophile to have a right in antimolestation laws?  Do you want somebody convicted of a "Hate Crime" to decide on laws reguarding the rights of minorities? 

No and No.

Do you want somebody convicted of a major crime to be sitting on a jury?

That depends on what you consider a "major crime" and also the case being tried. Would I want a convicted arsonist sitting on a jury in an arson case? No

Would I want (or accept) a convicted substance abuser sitting in on a rape trial? If he was clean and met the same standards that non convict jurors did I see nothing wrong with him as a juror in that case.

While some convicted felons should have all rights restored, no one currently serving time for a felony conviction should have the right to vote. I guess a way to break it down would be severity of the felony, for number's sake anything Class 3 to 1 would still be a voting ban but those convicted of lesser felony charges (and no longer in prison) should have the same rights as anyone else.

Excluding felons from voting though fails to take into account one major thing in my book: There are numerous (probably millions) of Americans that have committed felonies of varying degrees and never been caught. Don't believe for a second there aren't pedophiles/rapists/murderers/etc. voting at every election.

BTW, I agree with your previous post, the 8 things you listed are quite good (especially #3 and 6).

Written By: gmann on 03/01/06 at 11:16 pm

I've got an idea. Let's have some *real* campaign finance reform in order to make our "dream parties" possible in the first place. It doesn't do you any good to have great ideas if you don't have major financial backing...unless your name happens to be Ross Perot.

Until sweeping reforms are made, I'm withholding comment on the perfect party. So there!  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/06 at 11:21 pm

Would I want (or accept) a convicted substance abuser sitting in on a rape trial? If he was clean and met the same standards that non convict jurors did I see nothing wrong with him as a juror in that case.

While some convicted felons should have all rights restored, no one currently serving time for a felony conviction should have the right to vote. I guess a way to break it down would be severity of the felony, for number's sake anything Class 3 to 1 would still be a voting ban but those convicted of lesser felony charges (and no longer in prison) should have the same rights as anyone else.

Excluding felons from voting though fails to take into account one major thing in my book: There are numerous (probably millions) of Americans that have committed felonies of varying degrees and never been caught. Don't believe for a second there aren't pedophiles/rapists/murderers/etc. voting at every election.

BTW, I agree with your previous post, the 8 things you listed are quite good (especially #3 and 6).

Well, I do not want any felons to sit on any jury.  The jury system simply does not allow you to segregate potential jurors by crimes the ymay have comitted.  I have been in a jury pool before.  You are given a number, and when your number is called, you report to a courtroom.  They do not know your name, your background, or anything else for the most part.  The 2 trials I sat in on were rather straightforward.  The first one was for assault, and the person pled guilty 1 hour into the trial.  The other one was a drunk driving case.  After 4 hours of trial, we had a 30 minute deliberation, and came back guilty.

And remember, most crimes are comitted by repeat criminals.  And I really do not care about the hypthetical "those that got away".  After all, I believe Robert Blake and OJ Simpson are guilty as hell, but since they were tried and released, they have all their rights.

And thanks.  All of those things are rather important to me, and are really not things that most people could argue against, unless they are 8 term Senators who wear white robes on the weekends, own overseas sweatshops and run pollution factories.  :P

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/06 at 11:25 pm

I've got an idea. Let's have some *real* campaign finance reform in order to make our "dream parties" possible in the first place. It doesn't do you any good to have great ideas if you don't have major financial backing...unless your name happens to be Ross Perot.

Until sweeping reforms are made, I'm withholding comment on the perfect party. So there!  ;D

Campaign reform is largely a fantasy.  Because it will never work.

The only real result of the laws they passed a few years ago is the expansion of the PAC run campaigns.  And those are impossible to stop.

This is because any attempt to stop a PAC from running an ad runs smakc up against "Freedom Of Speech" issues.  Any group has the right to buy TV and radio airtime, and say whatever they want.  Trying to regulate that is against the Constitution.  The more they try and regulate the parties, the more will simply shift to PAC and other groups, and they will act as a mouthpiece.

This can be seen in the 2004 campaign.  MoveOn.Org and Swift Boat Veterans both ran extensive smear campaigns against the candidates, unhampered by any regulations or reforms.  And there is no way that there will ever be laws passed to try and stop them.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/02/06 at 2:04 am

// The jury system simply does not allow you to segregate potential jurors by crimes the ymay have comitted.  I have been in a jury pool before.  You are given a number, and when your number is called, you report to a courtroom.  They do not know your name, your background, or anything else for the most part.  //

Very true and valid point there, and since I would not want background checks and the like on potential jurors (even in my "ideal party world") I would say it is too much trouble to seperate out the 'light felons' from the heavy ones for possible jury duty.

And remember, most crimes are comitted by repeat criminals.  And I really do not care about the hypthetical "those that got away".  After all, I believe Robert Blake and OJ Simpson are guilty as hell, but since they were tried and released, they have all their rights.

Agreed about the crimes fact, though there is nothing hypothetical about the ones that got away. A large percentage of major crimes never get solved.  What percentage of non-prosecuted offenders vote is impossible to know, but it is obviously greater than 0%. It seems pretty messed up to me that a person an animal who commits a rape but never got caught can vote, but a person convicted 25 years ago with and who has since made no mistakes can't.

And thanks.  All of those things are rather important to me, and are really not things that most people could argue against, unless they are 8 term Senators who wear white robes on the weekends, own overseas sweatshops and run pollution factories.  :P

You're welcome. It puzzles me though that we do not have a system like this already in place, especially for your #3 point which I feel strongly about as well. I guess there are too many loopholes in the current system.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/06 at 10:41 am

You're welcome. It puzzles me though that we do not have a system like this already in place, especially for your #3 point which I feel strongly about as well. I guess there are too many loopholes in the current system.

There have been various incarnations of it attempted.  In fact, during the 1980's a similar system was proposed that was commonly called "Workfare".  And a lot of people fought against it, calling it a form of state slavery.  In fact, Michael Moore is a vocal opponent of it.  Most of the time, they claim it is the Government forcing people to take jobs in low end service positions.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/02/06 at 10:49 am

Agree there too, but you lost me on the company/legal standing thing.

In corporate law, A corporation is considered an entity, much like a person is considered an entity, and operates as a "sole proprietor" the same way an owner of a small business operates as a "sole proprietor"  I took a paralegal course and found out about this.  You can read some of the headache inducing rationale in wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

Written By: McDonald on 03/02/06 at 11:47 am

And do you really want some of these people to have a choice in what kinds of laws are voted in?  Do you want a convicted pedophile to have a right in antimolestation laws?  Do you want somebody convicted of a "Hate Crime" to decide on laws reguarding the rights of minorities?  Do you want somebody convicted of a major crime to be sitting on a jury?

Yes, those people, all of them, must have the right to vote. As far as the jury thing goes, anyone convicted of a felony would probably not be called for duty in the first place (ideally) and even if they were, they would be weeded out during the selection process. And not every jury is for some major trial... often it's for a run of the mill civil trial, and I don't see anything wrong with a convicted person who has served their time serving on one of those juries.

Written By: gmann on 03/02/06 at 12:42 pm

Campaign reform is largely a fantasy.  Because it will never work.

Without any real change, these "dream parties" we're discussing will also remain in the realm of fantasy. Too bad. I guess I'd better get to work on my first million to finance the establishment of my party.  :-\\ 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/06 at 1:34 pm

I forgot one aspect to my list: A livable wage.

Cat

Written By: gmann on 03/02/06 at 2:09 pm

I forgot one aspect to my list: A livable wage.

Not to harp on an old issue, but is there any chance you could put some concessions in that proposal to benefit radio personalities?  ;) We're either swimming in cash (Don Imus, Rush, etc.) or going broke...mostly the latter. Been there, done that. 

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/06 at 3:11 pm

Without any real change, these "dream parties" we're discussing will also remain in the realm of fantasy. Too bad. I guess I'd better get to work on my first million to finance the establishment of my party.  :-\\ 

No, it can happen again.  But it will take a very large split in the citizenship in order to happen.

The last major party to form was the Republican Party.  The backbone was composed of the members of the old Whig party, who were strongly opposed to slavery.  Millard Fillmore was the Whig President, and his allowing slavery to extend West and to allow Federal Officers to help slave owners capture escaped slaves caused the split.  The party did not even nominate him for a second term, and the party quickly split into 2 (and more) smaller parties.

The Republican Party formed, composed mostly of Northern and Western Whigs, and the Southern Whigs formed the Constitutional Union Party, which dissintigrated during the Civil War.

It is possible that a new party may form, but it is unlikely.  Currently, the trend is to simply form splinter groups, like the Libertarians or Green Party.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 3:26 pm

Yes, those people, all of them, must have the right to vote. As far as the jury thing goes, anyone convicted of a felony would probably not be called for duty in the first place (ideally) and even if they were, they would be weeded out during the selection process. And not every jury is for some major trial... often it's for a run of the mill civil trial, and I don't see anything wrong with a convicted person who has served their time serving on one of those juries.

I agree.  The government is supposed to represent all citizens.

Besides, since most people aren't criminals they would not make any immoral laws pass, if there's any hope in the human race whatsoever.

Written By: gmann on 03/02/06 at 4:21 pm

No, it can happen again.  But it will take a very large split in the citizenship in order to happen.

...but as you stated, it's unlikely. As has been seen in recent decades, third parties are either marginalized by having their core ideas co-opted by the established parties (see Perot) or they're too focused on a transient issue to gain any real footing in the political arena (Wallace's American Independent, etc.). I'm all for a third party, but it would be nice if it could happen without the presence of an issue that would lead to another civil war.  :-\\ 

Written By: ADH13 on 03/02/06 at 5:20 pm

I'm not too sure how i feel about someone who isn't responsible enough to obey the law being having the responsiblity of contributing to decisions that affect us all...  however, if the law was changed to allow felons to vote, I think it should only be after a certain amount of time (say 5 years) of showing a clean track record.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 5:42 pm

I'm not too sure how i feel about someone who isn't responsible enough to obey the law being having the responsiblity of contributing to decisions that affect us all...  however, if the law was changed to allow felons to vote, I think it should only be after a certain amount of time (say 5 years) of showing a clean track record.

Or, felony should be less of a broad term.  Drug charges, unless they involve dealing and trafficking them should not be felonies.  Just using them is a crime towards yourself, the body harm you inflict upon yourself IS the punishment.

In my opinion, any free citizen should be allowed to vote, no matter what their background, but I would not be too upset if murderers, molestors, rapists, terrorists, etc. could not.  But even if they could their votes would, if there was any hope in the human race, be outweighed by more responsible people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/06 at 6:00 pm

OK, here are a few views that I would put as a "Plank" if I was to start a new party:

1.  Term limits.  This applies for all elected officials.  5 terms for the House, 3 for the Senate, 2 for Executive.  And that would apply for Federal, State, and Local levels.

2.  No discrimination.  None, for any reason.  "Hate Groups" to be hunted down and eliminated through education.  If that does not work, incarceration as a last resort.

3.  Universal employment, hand-in-hand with universal welfare.  But if the person refuses to work, then they get nothing.  Work can be something as simple as picking up trash along a highway or in a city park for a few hours a week, to attending school full-time (in the hope that at the end they will have usefull job skill).

4.  Make it easier to "homestead".  There are millions of acres of land owned by the BLM, largely sitting vacant.  Set up a system to let people buy (or long term lease) this land, for either residential or agricultural use.  No commercial or industrial uses allowed.

5.  Change the regressive tax rules for US flagged ships.  One reason so many ships owned by US Corporations are flagged overseas, is because the taxes are so high, it is impossible to make a profit if they were US flagged.  Change this, to bring that money back into the US.  Give firther breaks to ships that are built in the US.  This will also stimulate the sale of US built ships, a large undustry that has largely gone overseas in the last 50 years.  Not a subsidy, but an incentive.  The amount lost in per-ship revenue will be more then made up for by the increased volume.

6.  Set up "Recripricol Tarrifs" with foreign nations.  If they put in restrictive terrifs for goods we export, place the same restrictions on goods they export to the US.  This will make for a level playing field, and will return some of the jobs exported in the last 40 years to return to the US.  Fair trading partners will be reqarded, and unfair trading partners will be punished.

7.  Require overseas holdings of US Corporations to follow basic US Regulations.  IN other words, since the minimum age to work in the US is 16, no overseas facilities of US Companies can employ children under the age of 16.  This would apply to all safety, living wage, and working condition laws.  Companies that do not comply to be fined and punished in the same way as if the location was in the US.

8.  Strict conservation laws.  Companies that recycle are to be given an incentive to recycle, and to use recycled materials.  Companies that deal with the use of natural resources (mining, oil drilling, timber, etc) are to be carefully monitored.  As long as they show a track record of returning areas to original or better condition, they would be rewarded with extended rights.  If they show themselves to be destructive to the environment, they are to be punished, even to the extend of having all such rights denied.

Now I am sure a lot of people are wondering "What the heck is he thinking?"  Those are not listed in any particular order, simply the order that they came to mind.  And many of those, it would be impossible for me to say "this is more important then that".  And I am sure that a lot in here will be surprised or even shocked with some of the things I listed.

I agree with most of what you propose here!  You're no Republican, my friend!
One must distinguish between "discrimination" and "prejudice."  I think you should be free to hate Group X, but not to discriminate against Group X. 

I would also reform all elections from current financing to "voter-owned" elections.  We absolutely MUST re-assess and reform the role of chartered corporations in society.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/06 at 7:50 pm

I agree with most of what you propose here!  You're no Republican, my friend!

Actually, most of those are rather Conservative views.  For example, the belief in Recipricol Trade Sanctions came from Tom Clancy.  It was a major factor in his book "Debt Of Honor".  That is the book that ironically ended with a 747 being crashed into the Capitol building.

The same with my views on the environment.  "Conserve" is one of the root words of "Conservative" after all.  I simply do not see the use of having land that is not used.  But it should be used responsibly, and violators of that should be dealt with.

One must distinguish between "discrimination" and "prejudice."  I think you should be free to hate Group X, but not to discriminate against Group X. 

Everybody has the right to be prejudiced.  And nothing will ever stop that.  It is when that moves into discrimination or attacks that I have the problem.

And from a business sense, discrimination is just poor business.  Why on earth would you promote somebody less qualified, simply because of race, age, sex, religion, or sexual orientation?  TO me, it is simply stupid, and counter-productive.

But I give no quarter for hate groups.  Klukkers, Neo-Nazis, Skinheads, Antisemites, Anti-Muslim, gay bashers, or any other such group.  They are all disgusting and dispicable.  I think that when people cross the line to hatered, then they have shown that they do not deserve to be allowed into decent society.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/06 at 8:44 pm

Actually, most of those are rather Conservative views.  For example, the belief in Recipricol Trade Sanctions came from Tom Clancy.  It was a major factor in his book "Debt Of Honor".  That is the book that ironically ended with a 747 being crashed into the Capitol building.

The same with my views on the environment.  "Conserve" is one of the root words of "Conservative" after all.  I simply do not see the use of having land that is not used.  But it should be used responsibly, and violators of that should be dealt with.

Everybody has the right to be prejudiced.  And nothing will ever stop that.  It is when that moves into discrimination or attacks that I have the problem.

And from a business sense, discrimination is just poor business.  Why on earth would you promote somebody less qualified, simply because of race, age, sex, religion, or sexual orientation?  TO me, it is simply stupid, and counter-productive.

But I give no quarter for hate groups.  Klukkers, Neo-Nazis, Skinheads, Antisemites, Anti-Muslim, gay bashers, or any other such group.  They are all disgusting and dispicable.  I think that when people cross the line to hatered, then they have shown that they do not deserve to be allowed into decent society.

True "conservatism" parted ways with Republican party 25 years ago with Reagan's runaway deficit spending and the putting into practice an economic theory all economists (except for Milton Friedman and the dipsy-doodles of the Chicago School) thought was a joke! The Republicans since then waste everything and conserve nothing. Conservatism in the GOP has dwindled to nothing more than a few reactionary social attitudes.  I can understand why a conservative wouldn't want to be in the Democratic Party, but how any of them can bear the GOP any longer confounds me!  As for John McCain, I think his allegiance to the Republicans reflects a pathological tendancy toward Stockholm Syndrome, a holdover from his days at the Hanoi Hilton!
::)
And as for Tom Clancy, I'm afraid his books don't even make good john paper!
:P

Discrimination can actually be astonishingly good for business!  Look at the Studio 54 phenomenon that still goes on in elite nightclubs, for instance.  The beautiful rich will happily pay a fifty dollar cover charge to avoid partying with poor ugly shmoes like me!  If discrimination was still legal on the bases of race and ethnicity, one could do a brisk business running venues that don't cater to THOSE people, you know who we mean!
;)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/02/06 at 11:15 pm

Discrimination can actually be astonishingly good for business!  Look at the Studio 54 phenomenon that still goes on in elite nightclubs, for instance.  The beautiful rich will happily pay a fifty dollar cover charge to avoid partying with poor ugly shmoes like me!  If discrimination was still legal on the bases of race and ethnicity, one could do a brisk business running venues that don't cater to THOSE people, you know who we mean!
;)

So out of curiosity , do you think it is wrong for a consumer to discriminate??   For example, if I prefer to have dinner at a japanese restaurant with japanese cooks as opposed to a japanese restaurant with mexican cooks, am I doing something immoral? ???  (this question is for anyone who wants to answer, not necessarily just Maxwell Smart)

The beautiful rich will happily pay a fifty dollar cover charge to avoid partying with poor ugly shmoes like me! 

Have you had your eyes checked lately??  If you see yourself as ugly, I think it's time for glasses.

Written By: La Roche on 03/02/06 at 11:29 pm

Ok, very simple Political Manifesto.

1) Very strict & limited Immigration. - Much like the Australian system.
2) Very limited welfare. Those on welfare must perform social work. I.e.. clean graffiti, refuse collection etc.
3) Public Healthcare (Bet you didn't see that coming did you.)
4) Official State Language
5) Official State Religion
6) Fast-Track Death penalty system. - Public Executions
7) No tolerance drug laws
8) An acceptable minimum wage to encourage those on welfare to work.
9) Re-modeled social security
10) Limitation of state powers
11) Ban on gay marriage
12) No Rehabilitation programs.

Very simple, I haven't gone in to detail there.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/03/06 at 12:34 am

In corporate law, A corporation is considered an entity, much like a person is considered an entity, and operates as a "sole proprietor" the same way an owner of a small business operates as a "sole proprietor"  I took a paralegal course and found out about this.  You can read some of the headache inducing rationale in wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

I read the Wiki article and got a headache trying to figure out what the heck they were saying. If you or anyone else would care to lay out the basics of why corporate entities are a bad thing, I'm all ears.

2) Very limited welfare. Those on welfare must perform social work. I.e.. clean graffiti, refuse collection etc.
11) Ban on gay marriage

I'm curious as to why you support numbers 5, 7 11 and 12.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 12:36 am

So out of curiosity , do you think it is wrong for a consumer to discriminate??   For example, if I prefer to have dinner at a japanese restaurant with japanese cooks as opposed to a japanese restaurant with mexican cooks, am I doing something immoral? ???  (this question is for anyone who wants to answer, not necessarily just Maxwell Smart)

Have you had your eyes checked lately??  If you see yourself as ugly, I think it's time for glasses.

I'd call that an exception.  For instance, if you were making Lord of the Rings you wouldn't have Frodo played by a giant Samoan guy.  It wouldn't be because you were racist, it would just make sense.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 12:39 am

I read the Wiki article and got a headache trying to figure out what the heck they were saying. If you or anyone else would care to lay out the basics of why corporate entities are a bad thing, I'm all ears.

I'm curious as to why you support numbers 5, 7 11 and 12.

5) Different religious ideals cause conflict. If you come to my country, leave your religion at the door if you plan on staying.
7) I didn't explain this one properly. I'd re-classify several different drugs. Essentially what are now Schedule I drugs would come with serious penaltys.
11) I an inane idea. Marriage (in my opinion) is between a man and a woman and I wouldn't want anything else due to the legal problems that can arise. (rights to property etc)
12) I'm of the opinion that they don't work. Having seen statistics and known people who've gone down both routes I can say from my knowledge they don't work.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/03/06 at 1:04 am

5) Different religious ideals cause conflict. If you come to my country, leave your religion at the door if you plan on staying.
7) I didn't explain this one properly. I'd re-classify several different drugs. Essentially what are now Schedule I drugs would come with serious penaltys.
11) I an inane idea. Marriage (in my opinion) is between a man and a woman and I wouldn't want anything else due to the legal problems that can arise. (rights to property etc)
12) I'm of the opinion that they don't work. Having seen statistics and known people who've gone down both routes I can say from my knowledge they don't work.

5) Okay, so you are proposing more of an agnostic (if that is the right word) state then where no one religion is accepted or given any more weight than another?

7) Drugs laws are already pretty darn harsh IMO, enforcement/sentencing not so much. I believe a just a quarter gram of methamphetamine is up to a 20 year sentence in VA. But re-scheduling some of what is currently Schedule 1 to lower categories is a good idea.

11) Well, I can't see where a gay marriage (or union) would have any more or less problems than a man/woman marriage. As for property rights, are you referring to who-gets-what in a divorce? All divorces have the potential to be extremely messy.

12) I know rehabs don't work nearly as well as they claim to. One near me is one of the best in the country and has at best a 25% success rate. Some have success rates of 5%. Given what they cost those are pretty dismal numbers (they're dismal anyway, but...)

I wouldn't support less maintenance programs such as methadone, there are 250k heroin addicts in NY but only 35k spots in methadone clinics right now.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 1:10 am

I've seen rehab programs work very well, but only for those who really wanted to quit and voluntarily entered rehab.  Ordering someone to enter rehab, imo is useless.  But I still think it should be there for those who desire it.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/03/06 at 1:58 am

There's insufficient information to say. Assuming they were equally close to home, cost the same, had the same quality of food and equally decent sevice I would say you still aren't necessarily discriminating nor immoral. Perhaps you want everything to be 'authentic' or your meals prepared in a traditional way. Not saying a Mexican cook can't learn tradtional or authentic Japanese cuisine nor that all Japanese would automatically be experts in preparing native dishes, but I think you see my point.

Now, if they were equal in every respect but you said 'I don't want my food made by Mexicans', then that's messed up.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 2:03 am

Now, if they were equal in every respect but you said 'I don't want my food made by Mexicans', then that's messed up.

Yeah, it has to do with the authenticity factor... because if I'm going out for mexican food, I do want my food made by Mexicans.

By the way, my husband is Mexican.. and he agrees with me... it's not like we would walk out of a place we were planning to eat because of the ethnicity of the cooks or anything... but we usually go to places where we know the cooks are of the same ethnicity as the food... it sort of feels immoral... but somehow it just seems more authentic that way...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 2:08 am

Yeah, it has to do with the authenticity factor... because if I'm going out for mexican food, I do want my food made by Mexicans.

Yup.  Nothing wrong with that.

In the words of Chris Tucker:

"A black man owning a Chinese restaurant? You ought to be ashamed of yourself."  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 9:35 am

5) Okay, so you are proposing more of an agnostic (if that is the right word) state then where no one religion is accepted or given any more weight than another?

7) Drugs laws are already pretty darn harsh IMO, enforcement/sentencing not so much. I believe a just a quarter gram of methamphetamine is up to a 20 year sentence in VA. But re-scheduling some of what is currently Schedule 1 to lower categories is a good idea.

11) Well, I can't see where a gay marriage (or union) would have any more or less problems than a man/woman marriage. As for property rights, are you referring to who-gets-what in a divorce? All divorces have the potential to be extremely messy.

12) I know rehabs don't work nearly as well as they claim to. One near me is one of the best in the country and has at best a 25% success rate. Some have success rates of 5%. Given what they cost those are pretty dismal numbers (they're dismal anyway, but...)

I wouldn't support less maintenance programs such as methadone, there are 250k heroin addicts in NY but only 35k spots in methadone clinics right now.

5) That's a matter of some debate for me. In some ways I'd like to see that, but at this moment in time the vast majority of this nation is of the Christian faith. I'd be just as happy to see that become the official state religion. Not neccisarily because I personally think it's superior in any way, shape or form, just because the majority of people practise it.

7) The re-scheduling is the key factor there. Whatever remained Schedule I would carry serious penaltys.

11) No, you miss my point. At the moment when one member of a Gay couple die's there is often a legal battle for property, insurance etc. I can see a very easy way around that.

I've seen rehab programs work very well, but only for those who really wanted to quit and voluntarily entered rehab.  Ordering someone to enter rehab, imo is useless.  But I still think it should be there for those who desire it.

Knowing people who've been speedfreaks and skag junkies I can tell you that the only way to break the habit is to a) want to and b) be locked in a dark room with padded walls. Seriously, re-hab really dosen't work in 90% of cases.

Methadone is one of those things. Again, do you really want to ween them off Heroin just to put them on a substitute?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/06 at 10:56 am

Basically, what I got from the class, is that the 14th amendment was passed to accord equal protection of citizens.  It was actually aimed at making sure freed slaves were accorded their constitutional rights, and that the basis that people wouldn't any longer be considedered property.  A suit was brought before the Supreme Court arguing that a corporation doing business, buying, selling. hiring, firing, was acting in the same way a person who was the sole owner of a business.  It was argued that the actions of a corporation were not any different than the actions of a sole proprietor and should be accorded the same rights as the sole proprietor(i.e. person).  So the ruling made the corporation(property) on the same legal standing before the court as a person, of course a person who could be in 100 places at once, doing 100 different things, with almost unlimited resources.  Wal Mart makes major use of the 14th amendment when trying to circumvent zoning and tax laws.  That should tell us something.

Written By: McDonald on 03/03/06 at 12:01 pm

11) Ban on gay marriage

That sounds like a terrible place to live. Actually, it sounds a lot like the Third Reich.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 1:14 pm

That sounds like a terrible place to live. Actually, it sounds a lot like the Third Reich.

You're at the tooootal other end of the see-saw to me. My admiration for the Reich is well known.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/03/06 at 1:21 pm

5) That's a matter of some debate for me. In some ways I'd like to see that, but at this moment in time the vast majority of this nation is of the Christian faith. I'd be just as happy to see that become the official state religion. Not neccisarily because I personally think it's superior in any way, shape or form, just because the majority of people practise it.

Kinda hard to seperate church and state when you have an official state religion....

7) The re-scheduling is the key factor there. Whatever remained Schedule I would carry serious penaltys.

I don't know of every Schedule 1 drug. Cocaine and amphetamine are schedule 2 currently since they have some accepted medical use, however street cocaine and methamphetamine I'd schedule 1 (if they aren't already). Most schedule 1 drugs do not tear a body and mind apart in a matter of a few years (often less)  like these two do. Psychedelics (LSD, Ecstacy, Marijuana, etc) would be removed.

11) No, you miss my point. At the moment when one member of a Gay couple die's there is often a legal battle for property, insurance etc. I can see a very easy way around that.

I see your point now even though I don't agree with it.

Knowing people who've been speedfreaks and skag junkies I can tell you that the only way to break the habit is to a) want to and b) be locked in a dark room with padded walls. Seriously, re-hab really dosen't work in 90% of cases.

Methadone is one of those things. Again, do you really want to ween them off Heroin just to put them on a substitute?

Rehabs don't always provide an easy way to detox the drug out of ones' system. I know for a fact that the one near me does not provide methadone since they can't/won't dispense schedule 2 drugs. If a heroin addict had all the desire in the world to quit and went there, s/he wouldn't be much better off with withdraw than someone quitting cold turkey.

Locking someone in a padded room would break the physical addiction, yes, but does nothing for the person once they get out of that room to keep them returning to using.

Those addicted drugs such as barbituates and alcohol (even heavy Xanax users) should never be detoxed in this way anyway since withdraw from those addctions can be life-threatening.

I know that rehab doesn't work in 90% of the cases, however I think that is more of a fault of the current knowledge of addictions and what programs they offer. If you go to a residential treatment for a month, when you get out it is typically reccommended one goes to AA or NA meetings. The failure rates of these two programs is staggering. If 90%+ of people who attend AA/NA don't even make one year clean time, I'd say that is a fault of the program not the person.

As for methadone, it is pretty nasty stuff too I'll admit but given the choice between high crime to support a habit (I'm not going to debate whether or not heroin should be legalised, though a heroin maintenance program like Switzerland has is something for the US to look into) and realtively cheap and disease free methadone being dispensed, I'd definitely support methadone maintenance.

Since by your own admission rehabs don't work in 90% of the cases, I'm surprised you have any qualms about methadone, that is, unless you plan on legalising heroin or throwing every hard core junkie in jail for the rest of their lives.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 1:36 pm

Kinda hard to seperate church and state when you have an official state religion....

Who said I wanted seperation? I can see the use for the Church in certain aspects of regular life. Morally, Financially even in an authorative sense.
I'm not suggesting we go down the route of many islamic nations but I do feel that bringing the church closer to the state and placing certain restrictions on it could be a good idea. Regulated religion if you will.

I don't know of every Schedule 1 drug. Cocaine and amphetamine are schedule 2 currently since they have some accepted medical use, however street cocaine and methamphetamine I'd schedule 1 (if they aren't already). Most schedule 1 drugs do not tear a body and mind apart in a matter of a few years (often less)  like these two do. Psychedelics (LSD, Ecstacy, Marijuana, etc) would be removed.

I agree with that. That's one of the main problems I have with the current drug laws. A guy selling 3Lbs of Cocaine can receive a sentance not much harsher than a guy selling half an ounce of hash.
That's ridiculous in my opinion.

I see your point now even though I don't agree with it.

Which is fine, it takes all sorts.

Rehabs don't always provide an easy way to detox the drug out of ones' system. I know for a fact that the one near me does not provide methadone since they can't/won't dispense schedule 2 drugs. If a heroin addict had all the desire in the world to quit and went there, s/he wouldn't be much better off with withdraw than someone quitting cold turkey.
Locking someone in a padded room would break the physical addiction, yes, but does nothing for the person once they get out of that room to keep them returning to using.
Those addicted drugs such as barbituates and alcohol (even heavy Xanax users) should never be detoxed in this way anyway since withdraw from those addctions can be life-threatening.
I know that rehab doesn't work in 90% of the cases, however I think that is more of a fault of the current knowledge of addictions and what programs they offer. If you go to a residential treatment for a month, when you get out it is typically reccommended one goes to AA or NA meetings. The failure rates of these two programs is staggering. If 90%+ of people who attend AA/NA don't even make one year clean time, I'd say that is a fault of the program not the person.

The problem I have with the rehabilitation system is this.
You tell Heroin user X that he can either go to prison or go to rehab he'll choose rehab. Even if he is weened off the drug somewhat chances are all that's going to happen is that his tolerance is lowerd and when he get's back out there on to the street he saves himself some money for a while because he dosen't need so much to feed his addiction.
To get yourself off something like Heroin you have to want to come off it and then you have to be forced off it and have the mental willpower to stay off it.
It's a very tricky situation. I know 2 people (well not anymore) that ended up going down the dark path. As far as I know they've both come off it and gone back on to it more times than you or I have took a leak in the morning.
I find it hard to have sympathy for anybody taking Heroin. Sometimes there are contributing factors for why you take it, but at the end of the day, you bought it, you shot up, your responsibility.
I just think at the end of the day it's safer to impose serious penaltys. Hopefully it would be a discouragement.

As for methadone, it is pretty nasty stuff too I'll admit but given the choice between high crime to support a habit (I'm not going to debate whether or not heroin should be legalised, though a heroin maintenance program like Switzerland has is something for the US to look into) and realtively cheap and disease free methadone being dispensed, I'd definitely support methadone maintenance.
Since by your own admission rehabs don't work in 90% of the cases, I'm surprised you have any qualms about methadone, that is, unless you plan on legalising heroin or throwing every hard core junkie in jail for the rest of their lives.

My biggest issue with methadone is this. So many addicts get the methadone from the doctor, then go out and buy heroin. You build up a tolerance.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 1:57 pm

Actually, it wouldn't be a terrible place to live if you're straight, Christian, and not a criminal or drug user, and you work for a living.  I think a big part of La Roche's plan is to represent the majority, in essence encouraging drug users, anti-christians, welfare recipients to move elsewhere, leaving a majority-dominated state.  That would not be saying that you have to be Christian, or you can't be gay... just that the government is structured around the majority of its people, not all people.  I can see his point...

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 2:00 pm

Actually, it wouldn't be a terrible place to live if you're straight, Christian, and not a criminal or drug user, and you work for a living.  I think a big part of La Roche's plan is to represent the majority, in essence encouraging drug users, anti-christians, welfare recipients to move elsewhere, leaving a majority-dominated state.  That would not be saying that you have to be Christian, or you can't be gay... just that the government is structured around the majority of its people, not all people.  I can see his point...

Very good! "Smithers, find that woman, I want to make her my executive vice-president"

That's exactly what I want to do.
I'm not saying if you don't fit in with what the majority does that I'm going to make things difficult for you. I'm just not going to appease you.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/03/06 at 2:11 pm

Who said I wanted seperation? I can see the use for the Church in certain aspects of regular life. Morally, Financially even in an authorative sense.
I'm not suggesting we go down the route of many islamic nations but I do feel that bringing the church closer to the state and placing certain restrictions on it could be a good idea. Regulated religion if you will.

Well I was working under the assumption that you wanted seperation. I see that is not the case.  I'm curious as to what benefits you think would be brought about by regulated religion and what specifics you have in mind.

I agree with that. That's one of the main problems I have with the current drug laws. A guy selling 3Lbs of Cocaine can receive a sentance not much harsher than a guy selling half an ounce of hash.
That's ridiculous in my opinion.

Thanks.

Which is fine, it takes all sorts.
The problem I have with the rehabilitation system is this.
You tell Heroin user X that he can either go to prison or go to rehab he'll choose rehab. Even if he is weened off the drug somewhat chances are all that's going to happen is that his tolerance is lowerd and when he get's back out there on to the street he saves himself some money for a while because he dosen't need so much to feed his addiction.
To get yourself off something like Heroin you have to want to come off it and then you have to be forced off it and have the mental willpower to stay off it.
It's a very tricky situation. I know 2 people (well not anymore) that ended up going down the dark path. As far as I know they've both come off it and gone back on to it more times than you or I have took a leak in the morning.
I find it hard to have sympathy for anybody taking Heroin. Sometimes there are contributing factors for why you take it, but at the end of the day, you bought it, you shot up, your responsibility.
I just think at the end of the day it's safer to impose serious penaltys. Hopefully it would be a discouragement.

My biggest issue with methadone is this. So many addicts get the methadone from the doctor, then go out and buy heroin. You build up a tolerance.

Black market methadone is very lucrative and a definite concern. I've known a few junkies who went to clinics just to be able to get methadone for street resale once they get take-homes. If methadone was available to all addicts (at a cheap price too because methadone costs practically zilch to make) who needed it, this would probably not happen anymore.

I assume that is your concern since every junkie I'm come across has said methadone is far inferior to heroin except in duration of action, which is precisely why clinics use it. Using methadone and heroin concurrently is counterproductive and yeah, if someone is using both at the same time, they are pretty much f***ed.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 2:13 pm

You're at the tooootal other end of the see-saw to me. My admiration for the Reich is well known.

well, at least you're not a republican.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 2:18 pm

Well I was working under the assumption that you wanted seperation. I see that is not the case.  I'm curious as to what benefits you think would be brought about by regulated religion and what specifics you have in mind.

I see churches more as community centres than anything. Encourgae people to go there, they can take advantage of the facilities that would be supplied, a safe friendly environment and people have a lot of respect for places of worship. (at least the vast majority do)

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Black market methadone is very lucrative and a definite concern. I've known a few junkies who went to clinics just to be able to get methadone for street resale once they get take-homes. If methadone was available to all addicts (at a cheap price too because methadone costs practically zilch to make) who needed it, this would probably not happen anymore.
I assume that is your concern since every junkie I'm come across has said methadone is far inferior to heroin except in duration of action, which is precisely why clinics use it. Using methadone and heroin concurrently is counterproductive and yeah, if someone is using both at the same time, they are pretty much f***ed.

This is the thing. It's hard to control what people do. You can't really have a rehab facility without it being at least moderatly relaxed, that's self defeating. But of course, because of that, you can't control what happens when they leave the facility.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 2:20 pm

okay, in speaking of other end of the spectrum

1) psychedelic drug use would be mandatory, and regulated by the state in orchestrated ceremonies in which we would prance around naked in the woods and become intimate with our totemic spirit familiars.
2) all of the money currently devoted to defense would be redirected to the discovery of life on other planets.
3) nobody would have to do jobs if they're stupid and/or boring.
4) the retail distribution of sexual favors would be mandatory.

that's actually all the ideas i have right now. updates as the situation merits.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 2:21 pm

1) psychedelic drug use would be mandatory, and regulated by the state in orchestrated ceremonies in which we would prance around naked in the woods and become intimate with our totemic spirit familiars.
2) all of the money currently devoted to defense would be redirected to the discovery of life on other planets.

that's actually all the ideas i have right now. updates as the situation merits.

13) Mike would be eliminated

Written By: Mushroom on 03/03/06 at 2:25 pm

OK, now why exactly am I going to be eliminated????

Was I voted off the board when I was not looking?  I thought everybody liked me prancing around in my birthday suit.  :D

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 2:27 pm

5) our president and leader-for-eternity would be a big brotherly image of don knotts in effigy.
6) only childern under the age of 12 would be allowed to vote.
7) all nazis get their own little island where they can stormie around and have lots of fun without bothering anybody.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/03/06 at 2:28 pm

This is satire or a joke, amiright?

5) our president and leader-for-eternity would be a big brotherly image of don knotts in effigy.
6) only childern under the age of 12 would be allowed to vote.
7) all nazis get their own little island where they can stormie around and have lots of fun without bothering anybody.

Okay, now I get it.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 2:28 pm

Was I voted off the board when I was not looking?  I thought everybody liked me prancing around in my birthday suit.  :D
he means me, i think. he insists on not using my real name! >:(

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 2:30 pm

You are correct.
Different Mike, Mike.

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 2:35 pm

I would ask that Mike be spared.  He is a comlpletely effective person.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/03/06 at 3:03 pm

OK, let me respond on some of these issues, and give my views.

Myself, I welcome legal immigration.  It is illegal immigration I have a problem with.  I welcome people from all nations equally.

I agree, it is very close to something I listed myself.

I believe in free services to those who can not afford to pay.  And even then, only services that are critical or serious.  If somebody hurts themself and needs stitches or hospitalization, I agree that it should be paid for by the State if they can not afford it.  But I dissagree on 100% free everything.  That means that some people will go to the emergency room every time they get a hangnail.  And if you make enough money or have your own medical care, then you should pay for it.

This I agree with also.  I encourage immigrants keep their own language, and teach it to their children.  But they also need to learn English.  And I find it insane to do like California, and print election materials in something like 40 languages.

Now this I dissagree with 100%.  Not only is it against the Constitution, it is morally wrong.  THe founders of this country came here to avoid that kind of thin in England, and untold millions of people have come here since then for that very reason.  Enough said.

OK, fast-track I agree with.  I believe in a 2 appeals system.  1 for the conviction, 1 for the sentence.  But public, I again dissagree.  Executions should be private, and as painless and humane as possible.  We are not barbarians, and I think making a spectacle of them is wrong.

I agree here fully.

I agree.  

Again I agree.

OK, am not sure what you mean here.  More limited then they are now?  In what way?

11) Ban on gay marriage

OK, I believe on a ban on the term "Gay Marriage".  But I believe 100% on a legal "Civil Union", with all the rights and responsibilities of marriage.  The only reason I reserve the use of the word "Marriage", is a semantic technicality.  And this is to help keep those who oppose anything for gay couples from having any ammunition for an attack on the right.  After all, it is the right that is important to me, not the word marriage.

OK, I would dissagree here also.  I believe in rehabilitation, for those who are arrested on possession or use charges (not sellers or manufacturers).  However, the rehabilitation must be completed, and the person submit to drug testing for a period of 5 years (the normal length of probation).  If they fail a test, then they go off to jail.  If in any time they are picked up again, they go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 5:30 pm

8 ) all political leaders would be assassinated immediately after their election by evident "lone gunmen" under suspicious and very, very interesting circumstances.

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 5:42 pm

8 ) all political leaders would be assassinated immediately after their election by evident "lone gunmen" under suspicious and very, very interesting circumstances.

i have always though it a priority to examine and vote out most incumbents...especially here in nyc

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 5:53 pm

Now this I dissagree with 100%.  Not only is it against the Constitution, it is morally wrong.  THe founders of this country came here to avoid that kind of thin in England, and untold millions of people have come here since then for that very reason.  Enough said.

By state religion, I don't believe he meant that everyone has to partake in a certain religion, which is what people came here to avoid...  I believe he meant that being a Christian state, terms like "in god we trust" and "under god" in pledges and on money is 100% acceptable, and shouldn't be changed to accomodate those who aren't Christian.  Personally I am not Christian (not religious at all) and I could care less if it says "in god we trust" on my money... as long as it's legal tender and is accepted by merchants, it could have a picture of buddha on it for all I care...  and with a state religion, the government is protected from such b.s. as the pledge of allegiance fight.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't implying that people wouldn't be free to practice their religion of choice.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 5:59 pm

I'm pretty sure he wasn't implying that people wouldn't be free to practice their religion of choice.

i bet he is, actually. :)

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 6:13 pm

By state religion, I don't believe he meant that everyone has to partake in a certain religion, which is what people came here to avoid...  I believe he meant that being a Christian state, terms like "in god we trust" and "under god" in pledges and on money is 100% acceptable, and shouldn't be changed to accomodate those who aren't Christian.  Personally I am not Christian (not religious at all) and I could care less if it says "in god we trust" on my money... as long as it's legal tender and is accepted by merchants, it could have a picture of buddha on it for all I care...  and with a state religion, the government is protected from such b.s. as the pledge of allegiance fight.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't implying that people wouldn't be free to practice their religion of choice.

eeeehhh, it's a tricky one.
In a way I am implying that.

I'll answer all the questions later, I'm on my way out right now..however.

I wouldn't penalise people for practising their own religions, but one of the major changes I would make is this.
Currently all religions have to receive equal funding from the government etc right. That would stop immediatly. I wouldn't prohibit other religions, but I would encourage the practise of the state religion.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/03/06 at 7:06 pm

I wouldn't penalise people for practising their own religions, but one of the major changes I would make is this.
Currently all religions have to receive equal funding from the government etc right. That would stop immediatly. I wouldn't prohibit other religions, but I would encourage the practise of the state religion.

That is the problem.  What would you make your "State Religion"?  Christianity?

Several of our "Founding Fathers" were Jewish.  In fact, we probably would have lost our war of Independence if not for Haym Solomon.  In fact, he died bankrupt, having given his fortune of $600,000 to the Continental Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haym_Solomon

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/06 at 7:58 pm

A lot of it sounds like what the Bushies would like to pull off if they could--except for public health and a decent minimum wage.  The GOP healthcare plan is: Pay gigant premiums to a for-profit HMO, and then when you get sick, the HMO revokes your coverage.  Same as what's going on with the insurance companies and the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The wind insurance plan won't pay because they say your house was damaged by water, the flood insurance plan won't pay because they say your house was damaged by wind...and so on and so forth.
The GOP furthermore would abolish the minimum wage altogether and make labor unions illegal.

OK, I would dissagree here also.  I believe in rehabilitation, for those who are arrested on possession or use charges (not sellers or manufacturers).  However, the rehabilitation must be completed, and the person submit to drug testing for a period of 5 years (the normal length of probation).  If they fail a test, then they go off to jail.  If in any time they are picked up again, they go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Indeed, addiction is one of THE most frustrating behavioral illnesses to treat.  There's no one-size-fits-all approach to treating drug addiction. Cold turkey does work for a small percentage of tobacco and heroin junkies.  Methadone, for instance, is a necessary evil. It keeps the junkie's messed-up system at relative homeostasis while he or she tries to get life back on track. By the time most heroin addicts are in treatment, they've lost everything from their homes to their possessions to their jobs to their children.  Methadone is controlled for dosage and purity.  The skag most junkies shoot up on the street is full of impurities, and there is also the septic conditions of the injections.  Along with the high-withdrawal-high-withdrawal rollercoaster, it is the crap the dealers cut the dope with and the dirty needles that makes junkies sick.
In some countries the government provides a maintenance dose of pure heroin itself.  I have mixed feelings on this.  I do believe in needle exchange programs.  Conservatives say needle exchange ecourages drug use, but I see it as a public health issue.  Junkies will share a needle and a syringe with twenty other junkies if that's what it takes to get their fix.  I mean, they'll cook-up with puddle water for chrissakes!
Anyway...I don't mean to hijack this thread into a discussion about drug treatment, but we have a lot of reactionary politicians in this country who insist on treating addiction as a crime instead of a medical condition.  Remember, two of the most poisonous and addictive substances--alcohol and nicotine--are legal in America.  Imagine if we threw people in jail for possession of booze and cigarettes!
::)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 8:00 pm

A lot of it sounds like what the Bushies would like to pull off if they could--except for public health and a decent minimum wage.  The GOP healthcare plan is: Pay gigant premiums to a for-profit HMO, and then when you get sick, the HMO revokes your coverage.  Same as what's going on with the insurance companies and the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The wind insurance plan won't pay because they say your house was damaged by water, the flood insurance plan won't pay because they say your house was damaged by wind...and so on and so forth.
The GOP furthermore would abolish the minimum wage altogether and make labor unions illegal.

I'm sorry to say it was like that long before Bush...  I don't remember the healthcare industry ever being decent as long as I've been old enough to understand. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/06 at 8:15 pm

I'm sorry to say it was like that long before Bush...  I don't remember the healthcare industry ever being decent as long as I've been old enough to understand. :-\\

No sh!t Sherlock! My point is that the Bushies are even MORE in the pocket of corporations--including insurance and pharmaceutical firms--than the Clintonites were.  Voter-owned elections would do quite a bit to lessen the corruption of our politics by corporate lobbyists.

Written By: gmann on 03/08/06 at 4:10 pm

Voter-owned elections would do quite a bit to lessen the corruption of our politics by corporate lobbyists.

Great idea. Now, how do we get people to give a damn and actually go to the polls on election day?

Check for new replies or respond here...