» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US Trade Deficit Reaches Record

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/09/06 at 8:09 pm

U.S. Trade Deficit Reaches Record $68.5B
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER
AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON - Rising oil prices and Americans' seemingly insatiable appetite for foreign goods - from Chinese clothing to French wine and Japanese cars - sent the U.S. trade deficit to another record.
The Commerce Department reported Thursday that the deficit jumped to $68.5 billion in January, 5.3 percent more than in December. Analysts had expected the trade gap to worsen, given the surge in world oil prices, but the increase caught them by surprise.

"We shopped the world's markets until we dropped," said Joel Naroff, chief economist at Naroff Economic Advisors. "We bought a lot more of everything, including capital and consumer goods, foods and motor vehicles."

Analysts said that unless demand for imported goods slows, the U.S. could produce a record annual deficit for the fifth year in a row, topping last year's imbalance of $723.6 billion.

Critics contended the January deficit showed the failure of President Bush's free trade policy that has contributed to the loss of nearly 3 million U.S. manufacturing jobs.

"The American people need a Congress and an administration that will get tough on trade policy to rein in these runaway deficits," said Rep. Benjamin Cardin of Maryland, the top Democrat on the House Ways and Means subcommittee on trade.

The Clinton administration filed on average 11 unfair trade cases per year before the World Trade Organization, he said, while the Bush administration has filed only 13 cases in more than five years in office.

The trade report showed that the deficit with China jumped by 9.9 percent, to $17.9 billion, in January. The increase reflected a big rise in shipments of Chinese cell phones, clothing, textiles and shoes to the United States.

America's $202 billion deficit with China last year was a record for a single country. Many members of Congress want to penalize Chinese imports unless Beijing stops what the critics believe are violations of global trade rules.

"China has been trading unfairly since it joined the World Trade Organization in 2002 and the administration has done nothing about it," said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., on Thursday.

On Wall Street, the Dow Jones industrial average dropped 33.46 points to close at 10,972.28 on Thursday.

The overall deficit in January surpassed the record of $67.8 billion set in October.

U.S. exports of goods and services rose 2.5 percent to an all-time high of $114.4 billion. But this increase was swamped by a 3.5 percent rise in imports, which also set a record at $182.9 billion.

U.S. exports of industrial supplies, capital goods and autos all set records in January as American producers benefited from a rebound in economic growth in Europe and Japan.

Japan on Thursday dropped its five-year policy of keeping interest rates at rock-bottom levels. The move was seen as dramatic evidence that Japan finally has defeated the deflationary pressures that had severely depressed growth.

The rise in imports to the U.S. reflected a 4.3 percent increase in America's foreign oil bill. It climbed to $24.6 billion as an increase in crude oil prices to $51.93 per barrel offset a drop in the volume of shipments in January.

Imports of foreign cars and auto parts rose by 5.6 percent to $22.7 billion. Imports of foreign food products rose by 6.2 percent to $6.4 billion, reflecting increased demand for imported wine and other foods.

Some analysts worried about the sizable and widespread increases in imports of manufactured goods and what that might be saying about America's competitive standing.

"The January trends spotlight the continued decline of national competitiveness in industries of the future such as high-tech," said Alan Tonelson, a research fellow with the U.S. Business and Industry Council, a manufacturing trade group.

America's deficit with Canada, its largest trading partner, jumped 11.1 percent, to a record $8.9 billion. The deficit with Mexico was up 8.8 percent, to $4.6 billion. The deficit with the 25-nation European Union declined by 3.8 percent, to $9.7 billion.

America's deficit with India shot up by 61.3 percent in January to $1.26 billion. Seeking to address growing anxiety about the loss of service sector jobs to India, Bush said on a visit to that country last week that the answer was not new protectionist barriers but better education to train Americans for 21st century jobs.

The administration has continued to pursue free trade agreements as a way of lowering barriers to U.S. exports, announcing this week that it will soon start talks with Malaysia

President Bush claims to talk for all Americans, and yet 3 million good manufacturing jobs have been lost because he refuses to penalize China, a human-rights violating country, due to his business interests. "Education to train for 21st century jobs?" Like what, moondancing? What a bullsheesh answer, he knows he'll lose corporate support if he tries to start a protectionist trade barrier against India...all he cares about is a few percentage points of approval, not anything he claims to. What a shame.

Subject: Re: US Trade Deficit Reaches Record

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/09/06 at 9:27 pm

No argument from me here.  Free Expensive trade is destroying this nation.

Pat Buchanan for president!

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/09/06 at 9:39 pm

I agree with Buchanan on a lot of things, which is odd, me being so leftward.  But I don't think a Buchanan Presidency is anything more than a pipe dream,  especially at this point in his career.  Besides, he is a little wacky on social issues.

Anyway,  who didn't see this coming?  I don't see how in the word we can run an efficient economy without a manufacturing base.  You can't base an entire economy on everyone doing everybody else's laundry.  You have to actually make and produce things.

Oh yeah,  I remember.  The people who run American companies don't care,  because they still reap big profits.  Who cares about Middle America? :D

Guess I answered my own question..

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/10/06 at 1:25 pm

I agree with Buchanan on a lot of things, which is odd, me being so leftward.  But I don't think a Buchanan Presidency is anything more than a pipe dream,  especially at this point in his career.  Besides, he is a little wacky on social issues.

Anyway,  who didn't see this coming?  I don't see how in the word we can run an efficient economy without a manufacturing base.  You can't base an entire economy on everyone doing everybody else's laundry.  You have to actually make and produce things.

Oh yeah,  I remember.  The people who run American companies don't care,  because they still reap big profits.  Who cares about Middle America? :D

Guess I answered my own question..

I think we need to end free trade for manufactured goods and agricultural commodities, be tough on China in every way possible, and give companies that keep tons of manufacturing jobs in this country immense tax breaks, to make up for the welfare we provide to out of work people. Our economy would boom. The problem is, all materialistic yuppies and Gen Yers care about is luxury and money, not middle-American pride, and corporatism. Corporations suck-prediction of 2010s backlash here!

Check for new replies or respond here...