» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: JOHN PROFUMO MP (UK) DIES

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/10/06 at 6:14 am

As reported on our news bulletins here, sadly Mr Profumo died today aged 91.

Brought to our attention in the 60's for his affair with pretty callgirl Christine Keeler (my God the scandal of that!!) he was quoted as bringing total shame and disrespect on the British government!!   ;D ;D

Goddddd when you look at how many perverts we have in Public service nowadays in the various Governments/Parliaments worldwide, and no one says 'Boo to a Goose.'

Some have no shame whatsoever, and still insist on parading their mugs on screen, desperately clinging onto their political lives. Yeah you...Mr. Conservative MP married with children but secretly screwing male prostitutes.. pukes

Oh how times have changed.

RIP Mr Profumo. What a right old life and I bet you had lots of fun!!

Subject: Re: JOHN PROFUMO MP (UK) DIES

Written By: Paul on 03/10/06 at 7:46 am

Make no mistake, this was a colossal 'scandal' of its time...and quite possibly led to the ending of the age when the great and good were 'immune' to the nosings of the press...

As Jules notes, had he been 'doing the dirty' in this day and age, he'd most likely have to resign, but would be ushered back within the charmed circle within months...

A marvellous film of the event (funnily enough called 'Scandal') was released back in 1989...I do hope it gets a re-run...

Written By: karen on 03/10/06 at 8:07 am

I read Christine Keeler autobiography last year to find out a bit more on the scandal.  Mainly because it was still talked about when I was growing up, although it had happened a while ago.

She came across as very shallow and, even today, she didn't appear to realise what happened was such a problem  ::)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/10/06 at 9:23 am

Make no mistake, this was a colossal 'scandal' of its time...and quite possibly led to the ending of the age when the great and good were 'immune' to the nosings of the press...

As Jules notes, had he been 'doing the dirty' in this day and age, he'd most likely have to resign, but would be ushered back within the charmed circle within months...

A marvellous film of the event (funnily enough called 'Scandal') was released back in 1989...I do hope it gets a re-run...

Edited

Yeah Paul I agree, Scandal is a great film, have seen it twice and love the 60's vibe,  I'd love to have been an adult in London in those days - what a blast that would have been. Don't you love the Soundtrack too, what with Dusty Springfield's husky tones and Roland Gift's kickass acting.

Paul do you remember the closing sequence, shot in slo mo of John Hurts cigarette ash slowly building up then falling to the floor with close up shots of the ash breaking up on the floor..nice bit of photography that.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/06 at 12:03 pm

I read Christine Keeler autobiography last year to find out a bit more on the scandal.  Mainly because it was still talked about when I was growing up, although it had happened a while ago.

She came across as very shallow and, even today, she didn't appear to realise what happened was such a problem  ::)

She didn't have every much of an education, I don't fault her for what happened.  I didn't realize Profumo was still alive.  From what I understand he was able to get on with his life, and Mandy Rice-Davies, who was much more savvy, probably bested them all.

Written By: Satish on 03/11/06 at 9:40 am

That was such a twisted, creepy movie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/06 at 9:53 am

More sad news, may he rest in peace.

There is a very good book on the subject by Anthony Summers called Honeytrap, of which the forementioned film Scandal was based on.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/12/06 at 2:39 pm

She didn't have every much of an education, I don't fault her for what happened.  I didn't realize Profumo was still alive.  From what I understand he was able to get on with his life, and Mandy Rice-Davies, who was much more savvy, probably bested them all.

Yeah I agree. She sadly was portrayed as the empty headed harlot - obviously she wasn't perfect but she was clearly manipulated by the political hierarchy. M R-D definitely did better out of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...