» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Law Requires Blind Students to Take Driver's Ed.

Written By: Skippy on 03/11/06 at 12:45 am

Just another one of those stupid bureaucratic things that make you say Huh?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0603100180mar10,1,20630.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

Subject: Re: Law Requires Blind Students to Take Driver's Ed.

Written By: nally on 03/11/06 at 12:59 am

I'll say! :o What good would drivers' ed. do for blind students? They can't see where they're going. :-\\

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/11/06 at 4:09 am

They're just being forward thinking. I truly believe, within the next decade, technology will be sufficient to bring the world of sight to blind people (it is happening now). Such disabilities as blindness, deafness, muteness etc will be disabilities no longer. But of course, it would mean they would have to re-take their drivers test.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/11/06 at 10:51 am

I'll say! :o What good would drivers' ed. do for blind students? They can't see where they're going. :-\\

I seem to remember a movie with Richard Pryor, where he had this kid on a bus who was blind, and he was a better driver then Richard was.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/06 at 12:26 pm

I read about this and I think it is totally stupid. For one thing, since when is Driver's Ed manditory? When I was in school, it was an elective.

They're just being forward thinking. I truly believe, within the next decade, technology will be sufficient to bring the world of sight to blind people (it is happening now). Such disabilities as blindness, deafness, muteness etc will be disabilities no longer. But of course, it would mean they would have to re-take their drivers test.

That may or may not be true. I am visually impared myself. I have an eye disease called Retinitus Pigmentosa (RP). As of now, there is no cure-but there has been research so who knows what the future may hold. However, things may change within the next decade in terms of Driver's Ed. When I took it in high school, there was no such thing as "Right on Red"-now there is. And also, say if someone got their vision back 20 years after taking Driver's Ed. Do you think they are going to remember what they learned? Right now, I think it is a total waste of time and resources to require visual impared people (or anyone for that matter) to take Driver's Ed when they have no intention of getting their licence anytime soon.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/11/06 at 7:53 pm

My mother was the worst driver I ever knew...she drove while under the influence so many times it wasn't funny.

But why require blind students to take a course they never will use anyway?

Written By: loki 13 on 03/11/06 at 8:03 pm

DMV is a state run program.That means drivers manuals must be
available in brail.So,giving the blind drivers ed. doesn't surprise me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/06 at 8:11 pm

Actually, Stevie Wonder lost his sense of smell/taste in a car accident that occurred while he was behind the wheel.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...