» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Should public schools require uniforms?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/14/06 at 9:01 pm

I personally think the government school would perform better if everyone wasn't obsessing about what everyone else is wearing.

Subject: Re: Should public schools require uniforms?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/14/06 at 10:09 pm

I personally think the government school would perform better if everyone wasn't obsessing about what everyone else is wearing.

Yeah because uniforms would surely end all educational problems!  ::)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/14/06 at 10:15 pm

Absolutely not. Let kids express their individuality.

Written By: robby76 on 03/14/06 at 10:16 pm

I kinda have to agree. I think uniforms are a good thing. Whether they perform better is another question, but a simple uniform could help promote school pride and lessen stereotyping. And no, I'm not being cheesey or living in la-la-land.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/15/06 at 1:34 am

I kinda have to agree. I think uniforms are a good thing. Whether they perform better is another question, but a simple uniform could help promote school pride and lessen stereotyping. And no, I'm not being cheesey or living in la-la-land.

Yeah, imagine that lessened stereotyping. I mean where was the lessened stereotyping when I attended Catholic school all my life? lol  ::)

Written By: witchain on 03/15/06 at 6:59 am

NO!
If young people choose to join the military that's their choice.
Uniforms should not be forced upon them.

Written By: karen on 03/15/06 at 8:02 am

Here in the UK many state schools are re-introducing school uniforms.  At my daughters primary school uniform is technically optional but most children wear it.  It is a cardigan, sweatshirt or hooded top with the school badge on it, a white top (polo shirt or shirt) and either black or grey skirt or trousers.  It saves arguments about what to wear in the mornings and stops one upmanship over who has the 'best' clothes because there is only one shop in town selling the school tops.

Written By: robby76 on 03/15/06 at 8:39 am

I've been to three different schools in 2 different countries which all had uniforms and no-one had the slightest issue in wearing it. No-one felt their "individualism" was being stifled at all. A uniform's a uniform... don't make it out to have some ulterior motive. Once I kicked a can and it hit a passing car... the driver recognised my uniform and so I got in trouble for it... serves me right! Uniforms are a good thing. Am I right in thinking that the only place school uniforms aren't worn are in the US?

Written By: karen on 03/15/06 at 8:42 am

Am I right in thinking that the only place school uniforms aren't worn are in the US?

I didn't have to wear uniform to the school I went to from age 14 but they have recently introduced one.  It varies across the UK

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 8:58 am

When I was at school we had a dress code.  Some of it was ok, some eventually modified.  Girls had to wear dresses or skirts(dark) at least one inch below the knee, light colored blouses, socks or stockings, no make-up, shoe(not boots) heels no bigger than 1/2 inch(squash heels we called them). Boys-dark slacks, light colored shirts, and ties from September 15 to May 15.  Note guys could dispense of ties when the weather was considered too warm, but during the worst winter months girls were required to wear skirts or dresses.  The year after I left they allowed girls to wear slacks.  Within 5 years the dress code was thrown out all together.  I would say the majority of the kids dress ok, in style but not really out of control, but you can tell the ones whose parents have lost control or just don't give a darn.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/06 at 11:29 am

I can't say whether I think it is a good idea or not. There are pros and cons on both sides of the argument. In Puerto Rico, the public schools DO have uniforms.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/15/06 at 11:41 am

I lean toward uniforms because they remove the obvious social class distinctions that arise when some kids wear designer clothes that others can't afford.  At the same time their parants save a few bucke on the fall clothing bills.  They also might break down the cliquishness to some extent.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/06 at 1:04 pm

I lean toward uniforms because they remove the obvious social class distinctions that arise when some kids wear designer clothes that others can't afford.  At the same time their parants save a few bucke on the fall clothing bills.  They also might break down the cliquishness to some extent.

Yes, I agree with this reasoning as well as a pro to wearing uniforms.

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 1:46 pm

I went to schools with uniform and without.

I remember never liking uniform, but to be honest there are advantages.

I remember, even on 100 degree day's we were supposed to wear the full uniform (which included a light jacket) ERRR NO!

I think relaxed dress codes are a good idea, I'm not a huge proponent of full uniforms though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 2:41 pm

Yes.

Kids are under too much pressure as it is to fit in, and if you're not as wealthy as some of the other kids you go to school with, and you see them in expensive clothes all the time, it can kill your self-esteem.  My sister has to go through this every day.  You're in school to learn, not attend a fashion show. 

The public schools in Chicago have a very simple dress code.  Girls must wear either a blue skirt/pants and a white shirt with a collar and boys must wear blue pants and a white shirt with a collar.  No obscene writing, no logos, no phrases and/or symbols.  I think blue jeans fall under the category of "blue pants", so they can wear them if they want.

Making kids wear uniforms won't kill a child's individuality and ability to express themselves.  I wore a uniform every single day I was in secondary school and I was still myself and still able to express myself. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/15/06 at 4:01 pm

No.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 6:46 pm

Actually, they were just showing some CPS kids on the news this morning and none of them were in jeans....although a couple of boys had khaki's on instead of blue pants ???

They might have started allowing them to wear khakis, but all I knew of the dress code was blue pants.  Now, I haven't been in the city for 5 years, so they might have changed things in that time span.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/15/06 at 7:01 pm

I think George Carlin summed it up best when he said that he saw an old film where they showed kids wearing uniforms to school, but it he had a hard time understanding it because the narration was in German.  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 7:03 pm

I think George Carlin summed it up best when he said that he saw an old film where they showed kids wearing uniforms to school, but it he had a hard time understanding it because the narration was in German.  ::)

George Carlin also thinks it's funny to joke about terrorists bombing heavily-populaced areas.

Making school kids wear uniforms doesn't in anyway equate to Nazi Germany.  He's a comic; he says thinks for shock value.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/15/06 at 7:10 pm

George Carlin also thinks it's funny to joke about terrorists bombing heavily-populaced areas.

Making school kids wear uniforms doesn't in anyway equate to Nazi Germany.  He's a comic; he says thinks for shock value.
No, really? Thanks for informing me of that.  ::)

Written By: jaytee on 03/15/06 at 7:18 pm

Yes.  Almost all public schools in Australia wear uniforms.  My kids have all worn uniforms.  Makes life a lot easier.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 7:35 pm

No, really? Thanks for informing me of that.  ::)

The comment I responded to carried the tone that you agreed with what he said; that isn't the same thing as knowing he says things for shock value and that you shouldn't take them for truth. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/15/06 at 7:40 pm

The comment I responded to carried the tone that you agreed with what he said; that isn't the same thing as knowing he says things for shock value and that you shouldn't take them for truth. 
Well, to a degree I do. But you should also know that, like George Carlin, I also say a lot of things just for the sake of being a smartass.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/06 at 8:16 pm

I say no.  You shouldn't have to wear a uniform to go to school.

One year I took summer school, it was held in a Catholic High School.  They told us we'd all have to wear uniforms and that we had to buy regulation uniforms with the school's emblem on it for $80.  I am not catholic, I do not voluntarily go to that school, so why should I have to wear a uniform?  I argued big time, and almost got kicked out of summer school over it.  Luckily, I wasn't hte only one, so eventually the principal caved and told us we didn't have to wear a uniform

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 9:43 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marian on 03/15/06 at 10:26 pm

Which is exactly what the teachers are doing when they nitpick a bout what color  shirt a kid has on,how well it fits--it even has to be certain brands.In my area,the kids who wear uniforms are always the rowdiest.The ones who wear regular clothes aren't as bad.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 12:05 am

Which is exactly what the teachers are doing when they nitpick a bout what color  shirt a kid has on,how well it fits--it even has to be certain brands.In my area,the kids who wear uniforms are always the rowdiest.The ones who wear regular clothes aren't as bad.

That doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.  Just because the rowdy ones in your area wear uniforms doesn't mean that if you put EVERYONE in uniforms, the same thing will happen to them.  Also, how do you know the kids who aren't in uniform aren't misbehaving or otherwise delinquent? 

Behavior is not linked to what you wear.

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 12:12 am

If you go to the school, you should abide by the school's dress code.  If that's a uniform, then you wear the uniform.  I don't get what the "I am not catholic" had to do with it, though. 

Around here, the only schools that require you to wear uniforms are Catholic Schools.  It wasn't my choice to go to that school, so I shouldn't have to wear a uniform.  Plus, I don't do dress codes.  I only dress up to go to funerals, usually of those who ask me to wear a suit/uniform ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 1:11 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 4:01 am

I don't think so.

Here in Australia almost all public schools now require some sort of uniform (usually a colour-coded shirt with the school logo), and there has been this thing about banning denim jeans. They were banned at my old high school the year I left. But to answer your question, it should really be up to the discretion of the school. At the very least, however, they should require a shirt with the school logo.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/16/06 at 4:40 am

Uniforms here are optional in primary school. Intermediate and secondary require uniforms up to form 6 (grade/year 12) Not really sure if the make a difference from wearing own clothes or not.

I really don't see the point in a uniform. A dress code, yes. And uniforms are so overpriced as well.

Written By: Mephistopheles on 03/16/06 at 6:10 am

Most of the public elementary schools here require uniform. About 3-4 public high schools here require it.

Written By: La Roche on 03/16/06 at 9:25 am

I don't think so.

Here in Australia almost all public schools now require some sort of uniform (usually a colour-coded shirt with the school logo), and there has been this thing about banning denim jeans. They were banned at my old high school the year I left. But to answer your question, it should really be up to the discretion of the school. At the very least, however, they should require a shirt with the school logo.

I've never understood not allowing people to wear Jeans. Not only are they smarter than many alternatives (as long as you don't have ridiculously baggy ripped up one's) but they're all generally similar and everybody owns them.

Written By: KKay on 03/16/06 at 9:45 am

I've never understood not allowing people to wear Jeans. Not only are they smarter than many alternatives (as long as you don't have ridiculously baggy ripped up one's) but they're all generally similar and everybody owns them.

I like your tshirt idea.  I am sure that we all would have been inschool more and done better had we some kind of uniform because you could not tell, out on the street, who was a student or not and who went to which school. It's a good identity tag that could stop truancy.

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 9:47 am

Well then Marian it should be easier for you to report them to their school for rowdiness ::)

I don't know why people get their knickers in such a knot about uniforms - I always wore a uniform to school as did my husband, as do my children and their peers.  It's not a big deal ???

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 10:09 am

I think it's more of an "issue" to those who have never had to wear one.  Old dogs, new tricks, that sort of thing ;)  I have an online friend from Australia and she was shocked that we don't have to wear them over here.  Her kids have been on both public and private schools there and have always had to wear one.  One of our friends asked her to ask her daughter how she felt about it and she said "I'm glad I have to wear a uniform.....I wouldn't be able to decide what to wear every day" ;D

It's a big deal when kids get their school uniform - lots of kids want to wear it all the time.  The little girl across the street almost had hers worn out before the school year started.  I hate it when the kids have "free clothes day" which is usually a fundraiser for charity.  They bring a couple of dollars to donate to St. Vincent de Paul and can wear whatever as long as it's not too revealing and sun smart.  My daughters agonise for days about what they're going to wear.  I'd hate to go through that everyday. :P

Written By: karen on 03/16/06 at 10:20 am

I'm pleased that my daughters school has a uniform, albeit not a strict one.  I hated having to wear a collar and a tie every day but would have happily worn the sort of uniform my daughter has.

I have boys and they don't care what they wear every day....it doesn't even have to match, orange shirt, green pants, HEY!  No problem....they'd go to school in their underwear if I'd let them ;D

When my daughter was at nursery I very nearly made her a badge saying "I choose all my own clothes"  She thought an orange dress looked good worn with blue trousers!

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 10:24 am

I have boys and they don't care what they wear every day....it doesn't even have to match, orange shirt, green pants, HEY!  No problem....they'd go to school in their underwear if I'd let them ;D

My eldest son was like that until about 12 months ago.  He's now just as fussy as the girls.  The 9 year old couldn't give a toss what he wears.

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 10:44 am

My oldest went to school today wearing maroon colored pants and a navy/gold t-shirt, which doesn't sound too bad, but was HIDEOUS looking.  I tried to get him to change his pants, but he wouldn't.  My middle guy used to think that if he wore a shirt with a certain pair of pants once, then that was the only "pair" that went together and would refuse to wear the shirt/pants with different pants/shirts.....he grew out of that around age 6.  My youngest is a little like that, but not too bad.....I'm sure he'll grow out of it soon as well ;)

Sounds like you've got some fashion tragics living with you.  ;D

The only thing my youngest is fussy about is shoes and socks.  He refuses to wear sandals.  He always has to wear lace up shoes (usually joggers or skate shoes) and white socks.  The only time he wears coloured socks is when he plays rugby and wears his club colours. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/06 at 12:37 pm

My kids HATE shoes and socks.  They'd run around barefoot or in sandals if I'd let them ;D  I've raised 3 nudists :o :o :o

OMG...Vaughn is the same way! Everytime we get in the car, he takes his shoes/socks off and will NOT put them back on....and will walk from the garage to the house in his bare feet no matter what the weather is like!! :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/06 at 1:48 pm

My kids HATE shoes and socks.  They'd run around barefoot or in sandals if I'd let them ;D  I've raised 3 nudists :o :o :o

I hate shoes myself. I go around barefoot all the time (even go out on the porch to get the paper/mail in winter when there is snow on the porch without shoes on).

Cat

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 4:51 pm

Declan would rather go barefoot but when he has to have footwear it has to be the shoe and sock thing.  During summer he spends most of his life in a pair of boardshorts and usually swims in the nude in the backyard pool :o  My mother-in-law has a real problem with it - I don't.  Our backyard in very private so its only us that see him :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/06 at 5:36 pm

I agree with you entirely. Apparel in our culture is too enmeshed with commerce, and commerce is all about making you spend your money, and showing off how much money you have to spend.

I also support school uniforms because I believe young people need to express their individuality in more significant ways than physical attire.

I was whatchamacall a "goth/punk" dresser in high school. I bought my clothes at second-hand boutiques in Cambridge. I had my own "style." I also caught endless hell for it.  I ALSO caught endless hell when I wore the cheapass K-Mart clothes my cheap parents bought me before I got a job when I was fifteen! I should be the last person to now advocate school uniforms, but back in the day, I would secretly have been relieved not to worry about image upkeep!

DC brings up class. If you dressed in "K-Mart" clothes instead of expensive designer threads, you got stigmatized. When I started buying my own clothes I wanted to give the finger to the whole teenage status-seeking mentality.  However, anti-fashion is fashion in itself. Did you ever see "Pretty In Pink"?  I was a similar, but not pink, I was more "Gritty in Black."
::)

Written By: witchain on 03/16/06 at 7:22 pm

I should be the last person to now advocate school uniforms, but back in the day, I would secretly have been relieved not to worry about image upkeep!

So which is it, Max? You say you had your own "style" and caught hell for it. Isn't that to be expected? So did I, and that was the point of it. I do agree that there many other (and better) ways to express individuality, but uniforms should not be required. I would be OK with dress-codes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/06 at 10:37 pm

So which is it, Max? You say you had your own "style" and caught hell for it. Isn't that to be expected? So did I, and that was the point of it. I do agree that there many other (and better) ways to express individuality, but uniforms should not be required. I would be OK with dress-codes.

It IS neither. It WAS.  And what it was was complicated. Furthermore, I do not wish to sidetrack this thread about school uniforms into a thread about my troubled youth.  I only brought it up to illustrate a point.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/06 at 6:46 am

I was whatchamacall a "goth/punk" dresser in high school. I bought my clothes at second-hand boutiques in Cambridge. I had my own "style." I also caught endless hell for it. 

sidebar  Garment District! 

Written By: Apricot on 03/17/06 at 12:01 pm

Do I think there should be a uniform? No.

Do I encourage modesty and appropriate attire? Yes.

Quite frankly, I find it distracting when my female peers have immodest attire on. For some reason, I'm more interested in them then the lesson. Very curious...

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/17/06 at 2:22 pm

Do I think there should be a uniform? No.

Do I encourage modesty and appropriate attire? Yes.

Quite frankly, I find it distracting when my female peers have immodest attire on. For some reason, I'm more interested in them then the lesson. Very curious...

You're a communist, aren't you?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 6:44 pm

sidebar   Garment District! 

Yes...and Oona's, Harvard Square.
8)

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/06 at 12:01 am

Now, whether you wanted to go to the school or not means NOTHING either.  You went to the school.  You wear the uniform.  That's how it goes

Hmm .. pay $80 for a uniform I'm only gonna wear for a few months then never wear again?  Nope not gonna happen

And whether you "do" dress codes or not; you're going to have to learn to do them, because one day you'll have a job that requires one and then what are you going to do?  Flip off your boss and say f*ck you?  I think not.

I've worked in office jobs for over 3 years and not once have I had to follow a dress code 

Written By: Marian on 03/18/06 at 5:30 pm

If you go to the school, you should abide by the school's dress code.  If that's a uniform, then you wear the uniform.  I don't get what the "I am not catholic" had to do with it, though. 
Well,the uniform DOES cost $80.00,which might be expensive compared to his other outfits.Since catholics are so donation-happy,why doesn't the school just donate a uniform for him to wear,so he won't be stuck with a useless outfit that he has to try to sell?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/18/06 at 8:11 pm

I believe that uniforms are a good thing.

However, an even better solution might be to simply enforce a stricter dress code.

No ripped jeans, require all clothes to be of a "Professional Appearance".  Give a few muted colors (Blue, Black, FOrest Green, etc), and require all clothes to follow them.  This would allow them to show some individuality, and at the same time not turn it into a "Fashion Show".

If there are uniforms, also do what is becoming more common in the workplace.  On Friday, make it "Casual Friday", where the more strict dress code is relaxed.  This will allow the students to show more individuality 1 day a week.

Written By: La Roche on 03/18/06 at 8:27 pm

If there are uniforms, also do what is becoming more common in the workplace.  On Friday, make it "Casual Friday", where the more strict dress code is relaxed.  This will allow the students to show more individuality 1 day a week.

When I had to wear uniforms there was usually a day every couple of weeks where you would not have to wear Uniform and could wear what you wanted.
I made it a point to be as shocking as possible. My 'SAME sheesh DIFFERENT DAY' T-shirt was the straw on the camels back.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/06 at 10:46 pm

I'm gonna say no.

I'm sure there's some schools that do it just to prevent fights and such. However, it's more of a sad commentary that it would be bad enough for them to have to wear a uniform just to avoid that. People should be allowed to be "themselves" without worrying about that sort of thing.

P.S. My old high school adhourns a middle school, and strangely, the middle school kids had to have uniforms and we didn't. I would've thought it would be the other way, so that was kinda surprising to me at the time.

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/06 at 9:09 pm

You're a communist, aren't you?

:o WHO TOLD YOU?

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/06 at 9:26 am

I approve of school uniforms. I agree with Max wholeheartedly, that individuality should be expressed in ways other than what you're wearing. I went to a high school with a very liberal approach to "dress code." Basically, you could wear anything you want (and I mean anything) as long as it didn't have drug/alchohol or gang references, and as long as it sufficiently covered you're external sexual organs. Anything else was permitted; blue hair, piercings, outlandish make-up, even cross-dressing (it was a really artsy magnet school). Quite frankly I thought that everybody put too much thought into what they were wearing, even the anti-fashion crowds.

Schools would do well to implement uniforms. It helps to mould a school's identity, both with the student body and with the community at large. It solves many problems and I think that alone makes them worth it.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/20/06 at 10:52 pm

No.

Written By: Marian on 03/21/06 at 3:55 pm

I approve of school uniforms. I agree with Max wholeheartedly, that individuality should be expressed in ways other than what you're wearing. I went to a high school with a very liberal approach to "dress code." Basically, you could wear anything you want (and I mean anything) as long as it didn't have drug/alchohol or gang references, and as long as it sufficiently covered you're external sexual organs. Anything else was permitted; blue hair, piercings, outlandish make-up, even cross-dressing (it was a really artsy magnet school). Quite frankly I thought that everybody put too much thought into what they were wearing, even the anti-fashion crowds.

Schools would do well to implement uniforms. It helps to mould a school's identity, both with the student body and with the community at large. It solves many problems and I think that alone makes them worth it.
Hmmmmm.......you have to put thought into what you're wearing if you have a job,which presumably requires thinking too,like school.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/22/06 at 12:34 am

I think we got it the first time.  You wanna' know why it's so "dead" around here?  People give one word answers ::)

Why do you always jump on EVERYTHING I do? ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/22/06 at 12:36 am

Many of the schools in my area do the "Casual Friday" thing ;)

At my high school, on the last Friday of the month, we were permitted to wear street clothes, and we had to pay $1 to whatever club/organization in the school was sponsoring it.  With close to 900 girls, a lot of the clubs made some good money for things like International Fest and the various dances we had as well throughout the year.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/22/06 at 12:43 am

At my high school, on the last Friday of the month, we were permitted to wear street clothes, and we had to pay $1 to whatever club/organization in the school was sponsoring it.  With close to 900 girls, a lot of the clubs made some good money for things like International Fest and the various dances we had as well throughout the year.

I'm not really one for uniforms but that is still a cool idea.

Written By: McDonald on 03/22/06 at 12:54 pm

Hmmmmm.......you have to put thought into what you're wearing if you have a job,which presumably requires thinking too,like school.

How does that nullify that fact that one can put too much thought and stock into one's clothing, which is what I said in the first place? Are you suggesting that a uniform requirement would harm a student's ability to dress himself in his future career? Because if so then I have to insist that's nonsense. There are plenty of fully fashionably functional career people out there who attended schools with a uniform requirement in their youth. Besides, in what world do a pair of cootchie-cutters, clear heals, and a spaghetti strap top have anything to do with a good career? Pole-dancing, perhaps? Are we moulding our kids into a generation of pole-dancers? I don't think so. Professionals wear ties and jackets to work, and students should probably wear them to school.

Also, the function of education is much more than preparing youth for the career world. I think that it's main function is to properly endow young people with their cultural birthright, as citizens of a civilised Western society. To bring them into the world of knowledge that has been passed down to us from thousands of years of civilisation, and prepare them to participate in and contribute to that world. What do jeans and a Zepplin t-shirt have to do with that? 

edit: All that being said, I'm not 100% positive that uniforms will improve anything, per se. I'm just saying that if they can be proven to solve even just a few real problems within the school system, then they are worth a shot. Rebellious teenagers will find other ways to stand out, and I think that could be positive. However, I also think that increasing emphasis on conformity could be negative in the context of that conformity being mandated by a central authority and extension of the State (the school board). However, conformity already exists among teenagers themselves, and teens are pressured to conform with one another in much more dangerous ways (i.e. sex, drugs, violence etc..). So yes, I have my conflicts over this issue, but generally I think uniforms are a positive change.

Written By: Marian on 03/22/06 at 2:04 pm

How does that nullify that fact that one can put too much thought and stock into one's clothing, which is what I said in the first place? Are you suggesting that a uniform requirement would harm a student's ability to dress himself in his future career? Because if so then I have to insist that's nonsense. There are plenty of fully fashionably functional career people out there who attended schools with a uniform requirement in their youth. Besides, in what world do a pair of cootchie-cutters, clear heals, and a spaghetti strap top have anything to do with a good career? Pole-dancing, perhaps? Are we moulding our kids into a generation of pole-dancers? I don't think so. Professionals wear ties and jackets to work, and students should probably wear them to school.

Also, the function of education is much more than preparing youth for the career world. I think that it's main function is to properly endow young people with their cultural birthright, as citizens of a civilised Western society. To bring them into the world of knowledge that has been passed down to us from thousands of years of civilisation, and prepare them to participate in and contribute to that world. What do jeans and a Zepplin t-shirt have to do with that? 

edit: All that being said, I'm not 100% positive that uniforms will improve anything, per se. I'm just saying that if they can be proven to solve even just a few real problems within the school system, then they are worth a shot. Rebellious teenagers will find other ways to stand out, and I think that could be positive. However, I also think that increasing emphasis on conformity could be negative in the context of that conformity being mandated by a central authority and extension of the State (the school board). However, conformity already exists among teenagers themselves, and teens are pressured to conform with one another in much more dangerous ways (i.e. sex, drugs, violence etc..). So yes, I have my conflicts over this issue, but generally I think uniforms are a positive change.
The fact is kids should learn to choose their own outfits as soon as possible.That doesn't mean sexy clothes.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/22/06 at 5:37 pm

I must say I don't understand the opposition to sexy clothes..

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/22/06 at 6:37 pm

:o :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/22/06 at 9:03 pm

^Well I must say, they made High School a much more pleasant experience for me.

Thank jeebus for lowrider jeans.  I always preferred sitting in the back of class! ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 03/22/06 at 9:38 pm

Absolutely not. Let kids express their individuality.

..at home.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/22/06 at 10:44 pm

..at home.

How about no.

Written By: La Roche on 03/22/06 at 11:39 pm

Thank jeebus for lowrider jeans.  I always preferred sitting in the back of class! ;D

I preferred sitting in the back of class as well.. veeery different reasons.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/23/06 at 4:32 am

That builders crack thing should be a punishable offence - I also think the underwear hanging out of jeans is just such a lousy look..especially as it always seems to come complete with 10 pounds of flesh bulging over the waistband too

Written By: McDonald on 03/23/06 at 11:53 am

The fact is kids should learn to choose their own outfits as soon as possible.

Why should that have anything to do with the school uniform? Uniform-clad students typically do not wear them in any other setting than school. It doesn't impede their ability to make clothing choices (as if that were even a rational concern to begin with  ::)). That is such an incompetent argument.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 5:36 pm

Why should that have anything to do with the school uniform? Uniform-clad students typically do not wear them in any other setting than school. It doesn't impede their ability to make clothing choices (as if that were even a rational concern to begin with  ::)). That is such an incompetent argument.

Well I find the idea of uniforms itself to be fascist.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/06 at 8:14 am

I never thought of that...I should've just worn my school uniform on weekends, holidays.etc. Then I would've have had to worry about choosing an outfit.

Written By: karen on 03/24/06 at 8:18 am

Well I find the idea of uniforms itself to be fascist.

Now I know two people with this opinion.  I was totally surprised when a friend of mine said he thought this.

Do you not think anyone should wear a uniform then?  It would make it pretty hard to spot police on duty, bus conductors, shop assistants etc.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/24/06 at 2:52 pm

Now I know two people with this opinion.  I was totally surprised when a friend of mine said he thought this.

Do you not think anyone should wear a uniform then?  It would make it pretty hard to spot police on duty, bus conductors, shop assistants etc.

Well I think cops and such are different.  Thats a job, and theres a real practical reason for the uniform.  There's no reason to make school kids wear a uniform, perhaps enforce a dress code, but not a uniform.

Written By: Marian on 03/24/06 at 3:50 pm

Well I think cops and such are different.  Thats a job, and theres a real practical reason for the uniform.  There's no reason to make school kids wear a uniform, perhaps enforce a dress code, but not a uniform.
That's exactly right!

Written By: Apricot on 03/25/06 at 7:34 pm

They make it a wee bit harder to concentrate.. for me, anyway.

Go figure..

Written By: annonymouse on 03/26/06 at 11:32 am

Are you f*cking kidding me? uniforms eliminate any individualism. kids shouldnt all have to look the same.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 2:17 pm

They make it a wee bit harder to concentrate.. for me, anyway.

Go figure..

You're a communist, aren't you? :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/06 at 2:20 pm

Are you f*cking kidding me? uniforms eliminate any individualism. kids shouldnt all have to look the same.

Uniforms don't eliminate individualism.  I wore them all 12 years I was in private school and I was still myself, every day of the week.  At the very minimum, a dress code should be required.  It's school, not a fashion show.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 2:27 pm

I can never philosophically accept the idea of uniforms in schools.  It just seems un-American to me.  Makes me think about some English boarding school. *shudders*

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/26/06 at 6:01 pm

Uniforms don't eliminate individualism.  I wore them all 12 years I was in private school and I was still myself, every day of the week.  At the very minimum, a dress code should be required.  It's school, not a fashion show.

You're right, it's a good regime that youngsters need to instill  discipline and conformity.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 6:25 pm

You're right, it's a good regime that youngsters need to instill  discipline and conformity.

You're being sarcastic? :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/26/06 at 6:46 pm

You're being sarcastic? :D

NO actually I'm not.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 6:51 pm

NO actually I'm not.

Oh come now.  Discipline is one thing, but CONFORMITY? Why would you want to instill that into children?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/06 at 7:47 pm

Oh come now.  Discipline is one thing, but CONFORMITY? Why would you want to instill that into children?

Teaching children how to follow rules is not a bad thing, and it doesn't automatically qualify you for Fascist status.  Everywhere you go, there is some kind of dress code in place.  You can't walk into McDonalds barefoot and shirtless, and that's the very MINIMUM I've seen a place require. 

I don't know if conformity is the right word, but when you're in school, the focus is on education, not fashion.  Sure there's extra-curriculars and friends and good times, but at the end of the day, you go to school to learn, not find out what price the new Louis Vuitton jeans are.  If you are not as well-off as other people in the school district and your kid has to go to school in clothes less expensive or less trendy than others', that can mess with a kid's self-esteem.  I'm not saying make the kids go to school in a suit and tie with the school crest on it (thankfully my school didn't make us do that), but at least requiring shirts to have collars, no obscene writing or pictures, jeans that don't have holes/rips in them.....that can go a long way to helping without feeling like a "uniform". 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 10:14 pm

I'm sorry but I just don't see how uniforms can possibly do any good.  And if I had kids I would move or home school them or something before I'd let them attend a school that forced them to wear uniforms. School isn't just about teaching kids facts, they should also be learning how to think.  How can you possibly teach them to think for themselves whilst enforcing this type of "conformity" with ham-fisted measures like uniforms. N-o, NO.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:19 am

I'm sorry but I just don't see how uniforms can possibly do any good.  And if I had kids I would move or home school them or something before I'd let them attend a school that forced them to wear uniforms. School isn't just about teaching kids facts, they should also be learning how to think.  How can you possibly teach them to think for themselves whilst enforcing this type of "conformity" with ham-fisted measures like uniforms. N-o, NO.

I think you're taking things a bit too far.  We're talking about making students adhere to a dress code.  You're making it sound like they want to bring back corporal punishment.  And furthermore, what proof do you have that kids who wear uniforms to school are less educated or "can't think for themselves" anymore than students who wear street clothes everyday?

I'd like to see some proof that uniforms detract from a person's ability to think for themselves.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 1:29 am

I think you're taking things a bit too far.  We're talking about making students adhere to a dress code.  You're making it sound like they want to bring back corporal punishment.  And furthermore, what proof do you have that kids who wear uniforms to school are less educated or "can't think for themselves" anymore than students who wear street clothes everyday?

I'd like to see some proof that uniforms detract from a person's ability to think for themselves.

Its a philosophical opposition.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:41 am

Its a philosophical opposition.

Honestly, it makes no sense.  Also, I think people are miscontruing the idea of a "uniform".  Once again, I'm not saying make students dress like they go to boarding school.  I'm talking about a dress code that will remove some of the fashion-related issues that come with public schools.  The only way that will interefere with a student's ability to learn is if they aren't that bright to begin with.  My sister's high school has a dress code; a "uniform" of sorts and she goes to public school.  Her grades are as good as they were when she was at Catholic school with me, AND her high school is the top school in the entire state as far as GPA and SAT scores go. 

You see something that's not there and you're projecting it onto the situation.  Uniforms/dress codes are not a symbol of fascist authority, brainwashing and mind-control. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 2:03 am

I just don't like them, and I think it's unfair to make children dress a certain way.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 2:05 am

I just don't like them, and I think it's unfair to make children dress a certain way.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Then you must hate private schools then.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 2:16 am

Then you must hate private schools then.

I don't think we should have them.  My view is all primary and secondary education should be public.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 2:21 am

I don't think we should have them.  My view is all primary and secondary education should be public.

Why?  Supply and demand works here.  People demand them, cities supply them.  Why shouldn't you send your child to a private school if you choose?  I got an infinity times better education in a private school than I ever would have in a public school.  Private school allows for smaller classrooms, more interaction between teacher and student and better environments for kids to learn in.  I never would have been in the NHS or the FNHS if I was in one of Chicago's decrepit public schools.  Further out into the suburbs you go, public schools are better simply because of different demographics, but bussing kids 30 miles out of town just to go to school is absurd. 

If you don't like private schools.......don't send your kids to one, but it's rather unfair to say that they shouldn't exist.  Private schools can do things that public schools can't and vice versa. 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/27/06 at 2:35 am

You know something - I can't even be arsed to respond any further to you in a reasoned way after that antagonising crap.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 2:42 am

You know something - I can't even be arsed to respond any further to you in a reasoned way after that antagonising crap.

I didn't say anything that was antagonising.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 3:00 am

I don't agree especially knowing how bad the Cleveland public school system is, if I lived in the city there is no way I'd send my kids to a Cleveland public school. When I was still in elementary school and we still lived in Cleveland, one of the only nice parts of the city actually, I went to private school because it was either that or I take a bus over to W. 60th or something which is a total slum and full of so much crime. That's how it is in Cleveland, if you live on the far westside you get bussed east to the slums because there's no public schools in the area. I'm sure there are situations like this in other cities as well. In a lot of areas private schools are a nice alternative to poorly run public schools. Oh and the Cleveland public school graduation rate is 42%, that tells you how bad it is.

Written By: McDonald on 03/27/06 at 9:34 am

Perhaps if all schools were public (which is a constitutional impossibility, methinks) then there would finally be a real demand to improve the public schools. As soon as rich white folks start having to send their kids to the slums to be educated, then I'm betting we'll see some results.

Too bad that sort of tough love, show ya who's boss sh!t doesn't fly anymore.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 11:58 am

Perhaps if all schools were public (which is a constitutional impossibility, methinks) then there would finally be a real demand to improve the public schools. As soon as rich white folks start having to send their kids to the slums to be educated, then I'm betting we'll see some results.

Too bad that sort of tough love, show ya who's boss sh!t doesn't fly anymore.

I see no reason why it shouldn't fly.  It'll work for the reasons you just said.

Written By: McDonald on 03/27/06 at 1:24 pm

I see no reason why it shouldn't fly.  It'll work for the reasons you just said.

Yes, but it's a parent's constitutional right to place his/her child in a private school, or even to home-school them (which is a terrible idea).

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 1:30 pm

Why?  Supply and demand works here.  People demand them, cities supply them.  Why shouldn't you send your child to a private school if you choose?  I got an infinity times better education in a private school than I ever would have in a public school.  Private school allows for smaller classrooms, more interaction between teacher and student and better environments for kids to learn in.  I never would have been in the NHS or the FNHS if I was in one of Chicago's decrepit public schools.  Further out into the suburbs you go, public schools are better simply because of different demographics, but bussing kids 30 miles out of town just to go to school is absurd. 

If you don't like private schools.......don't send your kids to one, but it's rather unfair to say that they shouldn't exist.  Private schools can do things that public schools can't and vice versa. 

Reading this I can see grammar wasn't stressed, (said the public school student).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:35 pm

Reading this I can see grammar wasn't stressed, (said the public school student).

Well then.........instead of being a smartass, kindly tell me where I messed up so I can fix it.  You know, if you're so inclined.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 1:41 pm

Well then.........instead of being a smartass, kindly tell me where I messed up so I can fix it.  You know, if you're so inclined.

You aren't not to talk to Danoota like that. Dont you think your being harsh, calling her a "smartass"?  Although I didnt see the problem with you're grammar..

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/27/06 at 1:43 pm

You aren't not to talk to Danoota like that. Dont you think your being harsh, calling her a "smartass"?  Although I didnt see the problem with you're grammar..
Careful, Dude...she'll get you, and your little dog too!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:43 pm

Dont you think your being harsh, calling her a "smartass"? 

No.  If you're going to tell me that I'm stupid (which is what she was implying) or at least not bright and then not tell me where I spelled something wrong or used incorrect punctuation, then you're a smartass.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 1:46 pm

No.  If you're going to tell me that I'm stupid (which is what she was implying) or at least not bright and then not tell me where I spelled something wrong or used incorrect punctuation, then you're a smartass.

Because you make a grammar mistake does not mean you're stupid.  I really don't think thats what she was implying at all, you're reading a little much into it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:48 pm

Because you make a grammar mistake does not mean you're stupid.  I really don't think thats what she was implying at all, you're reading a little much into it.

Her exact words after reading my post were: "Reading this I can see grammar wasn't stressed, (said the public school student)."

Now, exactly how was I supposed to read that? 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 1:52 pm

"Why?  Supply and demand works here.  People demand them, cities supply them.  Why shouldn't you send your child to a private school if you choose?  I got an infinity times better education in a private school than I ever would have in a public school. "

I am not implying stupidity, I am saying that if you are implying that a private school education is so much better than a public school
education, it should be reflected in your use of grammar.  You don't have to fix it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:54 pm

"Why?  Supply and demand works here.  People demand them, cities supply them.  Why shouldn't you send your child to a private school if you choose?  I got an infinity times better education in a private school than I ever would have in a public school. "

I am not implying stupidity, I am saying that if you are implying that a private school education is so much better than a public school
education, it should be reflected in your use of grammar.  You don't have to fix it.

You've never heard of the phrase "infinity times"?  I probably should have placed the word "infinity" after the word "times", but I was trying to say that I got a far better education in private school than I would have in a public school.

All you had to do was say I missed a word instead of implying I was stupid (which you did). 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 1:57 pm

All you had to do was say I missed a word instead of implying I was stupid (which you did). 

:D Don't take everything so personal! You made the point that private education is better than public, and she was just being wry in pointing out that in the same post you said that you made a grammar mistake.  You sound like my dad, always taking any criticism personally..

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 2:03 pm

You've never heard of the phrase "infinity times"?  I probably should have placed the word "infinity" after the word "times", but I was trying to say that I got a far better education in private school than I would have in a public school.

That is only one example, there are other errors but I didn't want to get bogged down. 
I am not implying stupidity. Mis-education is not the fault of the student. The truth, I believe is that public education may well be every bit as good as a private education.  I had a public school education and though my grammar isn't always great, pretty lousy a lot of the time, I can if necessary correct myself.  If you only see that one error you cannot.  It is not stupidity, it is that you were not taught, and I was.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 2:05 pm

:D Don't take everything so personal! You made the point that private education is better than public, and she was just being wry in pointing out that in the same post you said that you made a grammar mistake.  You sound like my dad, always taking any criticism personally..

Yes, that is what I meant.  Private school education isn't better by virtue of being private.  I don't think anyone here is stupid.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 2:51 pm

That is only one example, there are other errors but I didn't want to get bogged down. 
I am not implying stupidity. Mis-education is not the fault of the student. The truth, I believe is that public education may well be every bit as good as a private education.  I had a public school education and though my grammar isn't always great, pretty lousy a lot of the time, I can if necessary correct myself.  If you only see that one error you cannot.  It is not stupidity, it is that you were not taught, and I was.

Fine.  I'll give you the address of my high school, by all means.....write them and tell them they suck at educating students.

Furthermore, I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult my high school.  My grammatical errors have nothing to do with the quality of my education.  Sometimes I type fast and I misspell something or I'm trying to say something and it doesn't come out right, but that has nothing to do with them.  That has to do with me.  I'm not the world's greatest typist nor am I the brightest bulb in the lamp, so you'll excuse me if my stupidity offends you.  Please PM me and let me know what in this post is grammatically wrong or spelled wrong so I can come back and fix.  God knows I don't want to bring shame on my high school anymore than I already have.

Don't take everything so personal! You made the point that private education is better than public, and she was just being wry in pointing out that in the same post you said that you made a grammar mistake.  You sound like my dad, always taking any criticism personally..

How am I supposed to take it?  I never said that on the whole private was better than public.  There are some public schools out there that are better than private schools.  What I said was that I got a better education at a private school than I would have at a public school because the Chicago Public Schools are not that good.  In fact, they suck.  I know plenty of people that went to them and they all feel that way.  So based on that, my parents' choice in sending me to a private school was best. 

I don't know any other way to take criticism other than personally.  I sure as hell don't laugh at it.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 3:01 pm

Wowee Duderino, I guess we weren't ready for that  :o

No, I am not going to PM you with the grammatical errors, life is too short and that is too unimportant.  You are taking offence where
offence wasn't meant, and I am not offended in the way you have stated. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 3:06 pm

No, I am not going to PM you with the grammatical errors, life is too short and that is too unimportant.  You are taking offence where
offence wasn't meant, and I am not offended in the way you have stated. 

It may not have been meant, but that's how it came out. 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 3:12 pm

I have spent three posts saying that I did not mean to imply that you were were stupid, and Duderino also tried to clarify and got basted for it, unfairly I think.  If you still feel that way, it is your perception, not my intention.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 3:15 pm

I have spent three posts saying that I did not mean to imply that you were were stupid, and Duderino also tried to clarify and got basted for it, unfairly I think.  If you still feel that way, it is your perception, not my intention.

I must not know what "basted" means, because I don't think I did that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 7:59 pm

You seem to be the only one who sees it that way.

And if you think all criticism is personal, you have a lot to learn. Your opinions can be criticized, and that does not mean someone is judging you as evil, stupid, or anything of that nature. 

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 2:15 am

You seem to be the only one who sees it that way.

And if you think all criticism is personal, you have a lot to learn. Your opinions can be criticized, and that does not mean someone is judging you as evil, stupid, or anything of that nature. 

dude, just drop it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...