» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: British and American Humor

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 10:43 am

okay, everybody! be nice! :)

Subject: Re: British and American Humor

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 10:45 am

British by a country mile  ;D  I AM being nice :-*

Written By: KKay on 03/16/06 at 11:06 am

I say they are not that differnt...bnut that's just me...luckily, my friends are also fans of the britcom and I have not had many occasion where I have to explain things to people nor bored them with showings of dvds, etc.

I'm proud to say that pretty much eveyone I know would understand these references: (please don't let these selections sway you towards my choice of show..i'ts just off the top of my head- I know how you british comedy fans are.)
"SMEG!"
"it will ride up with wear"
"Iwill not have you making decisions unilaterally"
"Dinsdale"

Written By: danootaandme on 03/16/06 at 11:31 am

The are both funny, in different ways, but that doesn't make one funnier than the other.  American humor is more in your face, as
opposed to the more wry, subtle humor of the British.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 11:42 am

Maybe I've been watching reruns of "Red Dwarf" and "Are You Being Served?" for too long, but I prefer British humor...or I could just be a smeghead.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 11:51 am

For American humor I present to you the marx brothers, howard hawks, neil simon, vintage saturday night live, and mystery science theater 3000. plus space ghost. And tia's goofy faces.

I could never catch the wave of red dwarf myself. Black adder was another show I found only sporadically funny.

Incidentally, this, humor in movies and TV, is distinct from the difference bw American and british humor just in conversation, as Karen pointed out on LTE -- the whole irony vs. pie-in-the-face issue. (and by the way, don't look now but I was looking for examples of "irony" on inthe00s and, don't look now, but the search engine is working! Hooray!)

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 12:20 pm

For American humor I present to you the marx brothers, howard hawks, neil simon, vintage saturday night live, and mystery science theater 3000. plus space ghost. And tia's goofy faces.
I could never catch the wave of red dwarf myself. Black adder was another show I found only sporadically funny.

How could you *not* like Rowan Atkinson?? He's so...*unlikeable* in that series. I love unloveable characters. Maybe that's another difference between American and British television; American sitcoms seem less likely to cast an unlikeable lead, "The Office" excluded.
No doubt about it, you have to immerse yourself in British entertainment to really  "get" some of the humor. The first time or two I tried watching "Are You Being Served?" I didn't understand the lingo. I guess it's a cultural thing. I'm sure it works both ways.

Incidentally, this, humor in movies and TV, is distinct from the difference bw American and british humor just in conversation, as Karen pointed out on LTE -- the whole irony vs. pie-in-the-face issue. (and by the way, don't look now but I was looking for examples of "irony" on inthe00s and, don't look now, but the search engine is working! Hooray!)

I like slapstick as much as the next guy, but a healthy dose of irony is a good thing, IMO.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/06 at 2:05 pm

The are both funny, in different ways, but that doesn't make one funnier than the other.  American humor is more in your face, as

I agree with you. However, my own personal taste is that I like the more "sophisticated" humor of the British. (Some American humor can be sophisticated too-but to me, it is more the "bathroom" humor which I usually don't find funny-but it can be.)

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/16/06 at 2:18 pm

I said "not that different" meaning that they both can be funny.  Charlie Chaplin (a Brit) was very funny and in many ways "American".  Rowan & Martin was much more sophisticated than Hee Haw and the original SNL was great.  Steve Allen's latee night show was a pioneer and sometime very funny.  I like the Brit sitcoms better than the American though.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/16/06 at 2:21 pm

Faulty Towers anyone?

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 2:32 pm

Faulty Towers anyone?
VEE HAFF MEAT HIER IN ZEE BUILDING!

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 3:27 pm

Both of them are good, usually. Both of them can be awful if done wrong. Then there's American indie humor, which is like British humor done American.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/16/06 at 3:33 pm

You just gotta love Benny Hill.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/BennyHill.jpg/200px-BennyHill.jpg

Written By: Paul on 03/16/06 at 3:35 pm

I'll try not to be partisan, but British humour is very, very subtle...and no-one can really do it like us...

(It's probably the one last remaining things we're good at!)

(PS...Benny Hill was not subtle!)

That said, US humour does have it's moments...

Written By: Meghan88 on 03/16/06 at 3:39 pm

One only has to look at the "controversy" over the show The Office. There are 2 different versions, an American version and the British version, the only difference is that the american  version has diff. character and is sans the british accents.  I know so many people that have bad mouthed this show for not being "funny"...that's the beauty of British humor though, i guess you have to understand the subtlety and wit to laugh...its not so much in your face.

Written By: Meghan88 on 03/16/06 at 3:41 pm

besides, the whole "in your face" thing starts to get a little repetitive and old, because people reuse the same stunts over and over again.

Written By: philbo on 03/16/06 at 3:58 pm

The best American humour (or should that be "humor") is sidesplittingly funny: I mean The Simpsons, the Marx brothers, Bob Newhart (in his monologue rather than sitcom), Bill Cosby (likewise)... thinking about it, what brings the whole batting average down is the "funny" sitcoms that basically arent: I'm talking Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld - you know the type.  Consistently committee-written mediocrity at its least inspiring.  But this is still the country that gave us Bill Hicks and Weird Al ...

...having said all that, British humour (with a 'u' ;)) at its best is much more my cup of tea: Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Yes Minister, Porridge... Bill Bailey, Alexei Sayle, Ben Elton, Jeremy Hardy, Ronnie Barker... I could carry on for hours.

(PS It's "Fawlty" Towers - it was filmed about three or four miles from here.  Surprisingly enough, nowhere near Torquay)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 4:23 pm

I've always thought British humor was funnier.  When I heard they were doing an American version of "Coupling", I was not impressed with it, because British humor doesn't translate over here very well, at least as far as I've seen.

Written By: Paul on 03/16/06 at 4:35 pm

I've always thought British humor was funnier.  When I heard they were doing an American version of "Coupling", I was not impressed with it, because British humor doesn't translate over here very well, at least as far as I've seen.

And just to prove that it can work both ways (or not)...

...for some reason we thought we could remake 'The Golden Girls' (renamed 'The Brighton Belles', if memory serves), which died on its backside considerably!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/16/06 at 4:39 pm

I always thought British Humor was better.My favorite comedy
shows were Monty Python,Benny Hill and Are You Being Served.
I would even take Canadian Humor over American.I'd rather watch
SCTV than SNL.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/16/06 at 5:16 pm

exactly!

Written By: McDonald on 03/16/06 at 5:28 pm

The best American humour (or should that be "humor") is sidesplittingly funny: I mean The Simpsons, the Marx brothers, Bob Newhart (in his monologue rather than sitcom), Bill Cosby (likewise)... thinking about it, what brings the whole batting average down is the "funny" sitcoms that basically arent: I'm talking Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld - you know the type.  Consistently committee-written mediocrity at its least inspiring.  But this is still the country that gave us Bill Hicks and Weird Al ...

...having said all that, British humour (with a 'u' ;)) at its best is much more my cup of tea: Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Yes Minister, Porridge... Bill Bailey, Alexei Sayle, Ben Elton, Jeremy Hardy, Ronnie Barker... I could carry on for hours.

(PS It's "Fawlty" Towers - it was filmed about three or four miles from here.  Surprisingly enough, nowhere near Torquay)

OK, I must defend Seinfeld's honour here. Seinfeld, especially seasons 4-7 (when they hit their stride), was hilariously funny. The humour was subtle and very clever, and much of it was tied in very closely with the intricacies of urban American society (specifically New York, Jewish, etc...), which I guess worked as a detriment to it for foreigners. You certainly had to sit down and watch the whole show without missing a second for most episodes because the "jokes" (for lack of a better term) often relied on the plot of the entire episode, and sometimes even previous episodes, not to mention a presumed degree of familiarity with the characters' idiosynchrasies.

That show just cracks me up, even just thinking about it. LOL, a show about nothing... indeed. The co-creator, Larry David, has been doing Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO for quite some time now, and that's one of the best shows on TV.

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 5:43 pm

i originally thought there wasn't that much of a difference but i've changed my mind, i've decided american humor is better.

british humor might be more sophisticated but american humor has more joie de vivre. and i'll take joie de vivre any day, by god!

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 5:53 pm

i originally thought there wasn't that much of a difference but i've changed my mind, i've decided american humor is better.

british humor might be more sophisticated but american humor has more joie de vivre. and i'll take joie de vivre any day, by god!

Tia goes for the underdog!!  :D

Written By: McDonald on 03/16/06 at 5:58 pm

I don't think either brand of humour is "better" than the other, per se. They both have their strong and weak points.

I love British humour though. But I have to say, those clip shows with people playing jokes on strangers with asinine music playing in the background, those things suck. I was stuck watching one of those in Canada with this English guy sitting next to me laughing his a$$ off, and that was the dumbest 30 minutes of my life. I asked him "how could you possibly think this is funny? This is retarded." "Iss not that baaad," he said. But seriously, it was bad. Death to all clip shows with corny music.

Written By: La Roche on 03/16/06 at 6:59 pm

I'm with you all the way on this one.

I have certain problems with some of the new British comedy. The office just didn't do much for me.. sorry folks. The same with a lot of the newer shows.. that being said.. Little Britain is marvelous (although it has now run it's course) I'm still in love with Ali G and Buzzcocks is one of my favourite ever shows.

Written By: Morton on 03/16/06 at 7:23 pm

British humour, by a mile. It's funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I read an extract of a Bill Bryson book, and he said (and I quote) "The British are the happiest people i've ever met". He explained how, no matter what we (The British) talk about, it only takes a short while until someone smiles or tells a joke - and thinking about it, he's right! Even the most grave of conversations usually end up including slight jokes or humour. I wanted to buy the book (Notes from a small island), but didn't have enough money on me. Might buy it at the weekend

Written By: McDonald on 03/16/06 at 8:24 pm

British humour, by a mile. It's funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I read an extract of a Bill Bryson book, and he said (and I quote) "The British are the happiest people i've ever met". He explained how, no matter what we (The British) talk about, it only takes a short while until someone smiles or tells a joke - and thinking about it, he's right! Even the most grave of conversations usually end up including slight jokes or humour. I wanted to buy the book (Notes from a small island), but didn't have enough money on me. Might buy it at the weekend

I think that may be true. However, I don't think it's a uniquely British trait. Robert A. Heinlein mentioned in his book Stranger in a Strange Land that most humour comes from situations that in reality are anything but "funny." I tend to believe that. So following that theory, I would say that people in any socio-linguistic circumstance will find humour in anything they can.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/06 at 10:30 pm

British humor is much funnier to me because so much of it is about anger, humiliation, and having a pop at social class.  The six gents below exemplify my point!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/MontyPythonCast.jpg/350px-MontyPythonCast.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Paul on 03/17/06 at 8:13 am

^
Hear, hear...!

Although the roots of poking fun at class, religion and political 'stupidity' largely rests upon the shoulders of the late, great Peter Cook - especially the 'Beyond The Fringe' revue...

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 9:42 am

Tia goes for the underdog!!  :D
i'm still mad about the war of 1812.

>:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/06 at 10:21 am

One only has to look at the "controversy" over the show The Office. There are 2 different versions, an American version and the British version, the only difference is that the american  version has diff. character and is sans the british accents.  I know so many people that have bad mouthed this show for not being "funny"...that's the beauty of British humor though, i guess you have to understand the subtlety and wit to laugh...its not so much in your face.

I like watching both versions of the show, they had a really good episode on last night.

One of my favorite British comedy shows is Black Adder.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/06 at 10:25 am

I always thought British Humor was better.My favorite comedy
shows were Monty Python,Benny Hill and Are You Being Served.
I would even take Canadian Humor over American.I'd rather watch
SCTV than SNL.

SCTV is a really good show.  I especially like Count Floyd and Dr. Tongue.  ;D

For some reason, watching Friday The 13th, Part 3 (originally made in 3-D), reminded me of a film Dr. Tongue would have made.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/06 at 10:28 am

Someone brought earlier Monty Python, another show I like.

My favorite sketch is Argument Clinic sketch.  ;D

http://writingcompany.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/argument_clinic.jpg

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/17/06 at 11:07 am

British humor is much funnier to me because so much of it is about anger, humiliation, and having a pop at social class.  The six gents below exemplify my point!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/MontyPythonCast.jpg/350px-MontyPythonCast.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

great thread this and yeah I agree with you.

Personally I love most of the above British stuff and also Benny Hill and the Carry On series of films just for the amusing smuttiness - they make me cry laughing with the crackpot quips, pity we can't get away with that kind of stuff these days due to political correctness.   ::)

I also find Steve Martin and Gene Wilder hilarious.  Just watching those guys makes me grin  ;D

.. and sorry but I find American sitcoms about as funny as pulling teeth.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 11:11 am

I haven't watched enough Brit Coms to make a valid choice  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/06 at 12:56 pm

And just to prove that it can work both ways (or not)...

...for some reason we thought we could remake 'The Golden Girls' (renamed 'The Brighton Belles', if memory serves), which died on its backside considerably!

Another example took place a long time ago. The British show "Mind Your Language" was turned into an American show called "What a Country". I loved the British show but the American show...well...it suck and only lasted a short time.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 7:04 pm

Someone brought earlier Monty Python, another show I like.

My favorite sketch is Argument Clinic sketch.  ;D

http://writingcompany.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/argument_clinic.jpg

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'."
"Yes it is."
"No it isn't!"

"The Argument Clinic" is one of Python's all-time greatest, but it doesn't outdo "The Fish License," or that job interview sketch with Cleese and Chapman (goooood-a-niiiight a-ding ding ding ding!), and don't forget Anne Elk (Miss):

http://uplink.space.com/attachments/152543-annelk.jpeg

Of course, today her "theeeeory" would have to be about the "Apatosaurus."

The reason I like British sit-coms better than American ones is the British don't have this driving need for cornball sentiment in which everybody learns a lesson in the end. Who comes out of it for the better on "Fawlty Towers," "Absolutely Fabulous," or "Mr. Bean."  That's why among American sit-coms "Married With Children," "Seinfeld," and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" stand out so well!

Written By: Paul on 03/17/06 at 7:08 pm

Another example took place a long time ago. The British show "Mind Your Language" was turned into an American show called "What a Country". I loved the British show but the American show...well...it suck and only lasted a short time.

Well, there's one that I thought would never make the 'transition'...!

Obviously, I've not seen the US version, so I can't really comment on it, but 'Mind Your Language' was very much a product of its time...rarely, if ever seen now, due to its 'negative' stereotypes of foreigners...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/18/06 at 11:57 am

Paul you'll probably remember 'Love Thy Neighbour' and 'Bless This House' on UK telly when I was a kid,
when you look back at those shows particularly LTN - it really is toecurling, cringeworthy stuff.
People really used to be so shockingly racist in the 70's.

Written By: La Roche on 03/19/06 at 1:14 am

Paul you'll probably remember 'Love Thy Neighbour' and 'Bless This House' on UK telly when I was a kid,
when you look back at those shows particularly LTN - it really is toecurling, cringeworthy stuff.
People really used to be so shockingly racist in the 70's.

'There's a darkie in the cupboard'
"How can you tell, the lights broken"

What was that from? The show with the old man who always used to sit in the armchair and be awful to his wife?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/19/06 at 1:18 am

The reason I like British sit-coms better than American ones is the British don't have this driving need for cornball sentiment in which everybody learns a lesson in the end. Who comes out of it for the better on "Fawlty Towers," "Absolutely Fabulous," or "Mr. Bean."  That's why among American sit-coms "Married With Children," "Seinfeld," and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" stand out so well!

I agree with you on that, Max.  That 70's Show was great for the same reason when it first came on.  But the last couple of seasons it's gotten too sentimental, and the characters have just changed too much from the beginning.  Hyde and Red Forman have both been reduced to wusses. ;D Kind of like what happened to the Fonz..

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/19/06 at 12:26 pm

'There's a darkie in the cupboard'
"How can you tell, the lights broken"

What was that from? The show with the old man who always used to sit in the armchair and be awful to his wife?

I wonder if it was 'Till Death Us Do Part'  a favourite of my mothers, the main character ALF GARNETT was the biggest racist, sexist bigot known to man and he always called his long suffering screen wife a 'silly moo' -  but it was a real funny show back then   ;D ;D

is this pic familiar..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/220/tilldeathusdopart_1.jpg

and you might like to take a look here too..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/t/tilldeathusdopar_7776335.shtml

Written By: La Roche on 03/19/06 at 4:50 pm

I wonder if it was 'Till Death Us Do Part'  a favourite of my mothers, the main character ALF GARNETT was the biggest racist, sexist bigot known to man and he always called his long suffering screen wife a 'silly moo' -  but it was a real funny show back then  ;D ;D

is this pic familiar..

THAT'S IT!!! Thanks a lot!

A show over here called 'All in the Family' was based on it, with the main character Archie Bunker acting in the same way.
Alf Garnett was hilarious!
I want to know where I can find a boxset or something.

Written By: Morton on 03/19/06 at 4:51 pm

I wonder if it was 'Till Death Us Do Part'  a favourite of my mothers, the main character ALF GARNETT was the biggest racist, sexist bigot known to man and he always called his long suffering screen wife a 'silly moo' -  but it was a real funny show back then   ;D ;D

is this pic familiar..

That was a free DVD in one of the Sunday papers this morning. The News Of The World, I think it was...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/19/06 at 4:55 pm

THAT'S IT!!! Thanks a lot!

A show over here called 'All in the Family' was based on it, with the main character Archie Bunker acting in the same way.
Alf Garnett was hilarious!
I want to know where I can find a boxset or something.

If you check the BBC link they're usually great for stuff like that, umm dunno about English vid. format tho'

Written By: La Roche on 03/19/06 at 5:24 pm

If you check the BBC link they're usually great for stuff like that, umm dunno about English vid. format tho'

I'm sure it must be around somewhere.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/06 at 5:47 pm

We are the knights who say "NI" and we want a shrubbery.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/20/06 at 12:40 am

They both have their strong points. Most the American comedy shows I tend to watch are sit-coms are cartoons (we don't have the Comedy Channel  >:()...I find shows like Seinfield, Frasier, Will and Grace, and Everybody Loves Raymond (though it gets a bit tired) really funny. Whereas most of the British Comedy shows tend to be in the vein of 'Deadringers' or 'Little Britain' (anyone here familiar with the latter) - satirical, witty, relying more on subtle humour...Black Books was another funny show, while the Fawlty Towers style of humour is pretty much mainly slapstick.

Australian humour has elements of both, but definately has it's own distinctive character. Australian society, I think, is quite irrevant (even though it is quite 'conservative') and this humour is part of our psyche. The Paul Hogan show (aired in the 70s) is a classic example of Aussie humour.

Written By: La Roche on 03/20/06 at 9:35 am

Black Books was another funny show

HOW COULD I FORGET!!?!?!

Brilliant show.

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/06 at 9:47 am

Then of course, there is the single greatest show ever to come out of the British Isles, and I mean Father Ted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/400/fatherted.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 03/20/06 at 10:07 am

Then of course, there is the single greatest show ever to come out of the British Isles, and I mean Father Ted.

What I'd give for one more episode... poor fella.

Written By: KKay on 03/20/06 at 10:26 am

What I'd give for one more episode... poor fella.

Father Ted is on TV here...I see it almost every week.

Written By: La Roche on 03/20/06 at 10:28 am

Father Ted is on TV here...I see it almost every week.

Yes, but they're repeats, Kay.. Ted died.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/06 at 10:59 am

I like the really drunk old priest!  He was funny!  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/20/06 at 11:00 am

I like the really drunk old priest!  He was funny!  ;D

Father Jack, yeah he was marvelous. But of course, the best of the bunc was Dougal. He was always hilarious.
I always liked Bishop Brennan as well.

Written By: KKay on 03/20/06 at 11:14 am

Yes, but they're repeats, Kay.. Ted died.

oh...I thought you meant that you couldn't get it on tv.

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/06 at 1:08 pm

Father Jack, yeah he was marvelous. But of course, the best of the bunc was Dougal. He was always hilarious.
I always liked Bishop Brennan as well.

Dougal was great. Father Jack was funny, but he mostly just yelled feck or arse or drink. I loved Mrs. Doyle too. That show cracks me up.

Shame what happened to Dermot Morgan, really. And so odd too, since the car accident happened just as he had left the shooting of the final episode.

Written By: La Roche on 03/20/06 at 2:49 pm

Dougal was great. Father Jack was funny, but he mostly just yelled feck or arse or drink. I loved Mrs. Doyle too. That show cracks me up.

Shame what happened to Dermot Morgan, really. And so odd too, since the car accident happened just as he had left the shooting of the final episode.

Did it really!?

That is a bit odd.

oh...I thought you meant that you couldn't get it on tv.

Well, I can't on local channels, I bet it's on BBC America, I really don't watch TV anymore..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/06 at 2:59 pm

I like Keeping Up Appearances. I don't think it matters which side of the pond you live on. We all know people like Hyacinth.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 03/21/06 at 10:07 am

Umm there was no car accident, he died of a heart attack in his own home.

Written By: Gis on 03/21/06 at 10:10 am

Cat
Another more recent one was 'Gimme,Gimme,Gimme' in the U.K becoming 'Will and Grace' in America. How I do not know because apart from a gay guy with a straight female flatmate there is no comparison !!

Written By: McDonald on 03/22/06 at 9:54 am

Umm there was no car accident, he died of a heart attack in his own home.

You're absolutely right. I don't know what I was thinking about the car accident... where did I hear that?  ???

Written By: La Roche on 03/22/06 at 10:25 am

You're absolutely right. I don't know what I was thinking about the car accident... where did I hear that?  ???

Trying to confuse me eh  ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/23/06 at 5:16 pm

Another more recent one was 'Gimme,Gimme,Gimme' in the U.K becoming 'Will and Grace' in America. How I do not know because apart from a gay guy with a straight female flatmate there is no comparison !!

The British version of GGG is a total scream..I just love Kathy Burke fullstop.  ;D ;D
..also a pretty cool straight actress too - straight as in not Comedy  :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/23/06 at 5:19 pm

Trying to confuse me eh  ;)

I wonder if you've heard of Steptoe and Son? man that is just soo funny too. Dunno if it went Transatlantic?

Written By: Paul on 03/23/06 at 5:23 pm

I wonder if you've heard of Steptoe and Son? man that is just soo funny too. Dunno if it went Transatlantic?

I believe it became known as 'Sanford & Son' over there...and quite popular it was too!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/23/06 at 6:33 pm

I believe it became known as 'Sanford & Son' over there...and quite popular it was too!

Ahh right. Steptoe mustn't be, or sound like an American name then!

Written By: La Roche on 03/23/06 at 9:37 pm

Steptoe and Son.. SHUH! Of course.

We had a show here Sanford and Son.. exactly the same principal except the old man wasn't as good.

What was Steptoe's name.. the actor?

Written By: La Roche on 03/23/06 at 9:38 pm

Oops, perhaps I should have read this first  ;D

Written By: karen on 03/24/06 at 4:40 am

We had a show here Sanford and Son.. exactly the same principal except the old man wasn't as good.

Wilfred Bramall?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/24/06 at 6:17 am

Wilfred Bramble played Steptoe snr.
Harry H Corbett played long suffering... "H-A-R-O-L-D"    ;D ;D Hilarious show

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/steptoeands/steptoeandsIMAGE/steptoeands.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/220/steptoeandson_1.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 6:14 pm

Wilfred Bramall?

Good call.

Wilfred Bramble played Steptoe snr.
Harry H Corbett played long suffering... "H-A-R-O-L-D"    ;D ;D Hilarious show

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/steptoeands/steptoeandsIMAGE/steptoeands.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/220/steptoeandson_1.jpg

I think the best episode I've seen would be where Harold had all the pipes and what not going around his bed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 6:27 pm

Equal, but the British people have a better sense of humor than us Americans, so I'm going British.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/24/06 at 7:44 pm

I think the best episode I've seen would be where Harold had all the pipes and what not going around his bed.

The one I love is were Harold gets the chance to go abroad and the dad feigns illness so he can't go..freakin hilarious...'H-a-r-o-l-d'

Check for new replies or respond here...