» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US Military launches largest air assault in Iraq since 2003 Invasion

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 11:21 am

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/16/iraq.main/index.html

Subject: Re: US Military launches largest air assault in Iraq since 2003 Invasion

Written By: danootaandme on 03/16/06 at 11:32 am

God, I hate this whole thing  >:(

Subject: Re: US Military launches largest air assault in Iraq since 2003 Invasion

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 11:38 am

Whatever the reasoning (or lack thereof) that got us into this situation, we might as well ride it out.

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 11:43 am

killed a bunch of women and children. Hooray! I was reading about it in the paper this morning.

During fallujah they'd take sniper fire from some window somewhere and call in an air strike that would wipe out a whole city block. Fallujah ended up, something like 40 percent of the buildings in that city were destroyed. Hearts and minds baby! Hearts and minds!

Anyway, not to antagonize you again, elvis, but it's fairly easy to "ride it out" when the bombs aren't falling on OUR families, yes?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 12:05 pm

This war will just keep going on and on. They will accomplish nothing here, and new terrorists will just keep pouring in. Bush really messed up.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 12:08 pm

Anyway, not to antagonize you again, elvis, but it's fairly easy to "ride it out" when the bombs aren't falling on OUR families, yes?

Tia, you couldn't antagonize me if you tried.  ;) Yeah, I suppose it's an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing with a lot of people. I don't doubt that many innocent people have been hurt or killed in this conflict. I prefer it if that didn't happen, but I'm not running the Rules of War Department. See the firebombing of Dresden for reference. Hmmm...rules of war...that's almost a contradiction of terms, huh? 

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 12:20 pm

Tia, you couldn't antagonize me if you tried.  ;)

it's gotta be tough staying mad at a face like this

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=14547;type=avatar

Yeah, I suppose it's an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing with a lot of people. I don't doubt that many innocent people have been hurt or killed in this conflict. I prefer it if that didn't happen, but I'm not running the Rules of War Department. See the firebombing of Dresden for reference. Hmmm...rules of war...that's almost a contradiction of terms, huh? 

Well, part of the difference is the germans kinda brought Dresden on themselves by starting a pre-emptive war. I'm getting to be of the opinion that just stopping this war in its tracks is the only way to go. This "peace with honor" thing the bushies are doing could drag on for years and years, and meanwhile the war is making indescribably worse exactly what it's supposed to be improving -- a. the whole region is now inflamed with hatred for America and b. iraq is now a chaotic cesspoll in which terrorists are going to breed like maggots. I predict there's gonna be more planes flying into American buildings (or the equivalent, they'll probably come up with something new) in the not-too-distant future. and it will be brought to you courtesy of the iraq war.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 12:36 pm

Well, part of the difference is the germans kinda brought Dresden on themselves by starting a pre-emptive war.

Dresden was a great example of a "total war" philosophy; civilian targets are no longer "hands off" for military strikes. The city had no military significance, but the Allies saw fit to bomb it into rubble to undermine German morale. Mission accomplished.

I'm getting to be of the opinion that just stopping this war in its tracks is the only way to go. This "peace with honor" thing the bushies are doing could drag on for years and years, and meanwhile the war is making indescribably worse exactly what it's supposed to be improving -- a. the whole region is now inflamed with hatred for America and b. iraq is now a chaotic cesspoll in which terrorists are going to breed like maggots. I predict there's gonna be more planes flying into American buildings (or the equivalent, they'll probably come up with something new) in the not-too-distant future. and it will be brought to you courtesy of the iraq war.

Agreed. Anti-american sentiments will continue, but how much of that was simmering below the surface pre-war? All we did was give the thugs a rallying cry. "Remember Fallujah!" I don't think there's a good plan that will realistically allow us to leave in "peace with honor" *and* stem the tide of terrorists planning attacks on us and our allies. That's a tall order to fill. 

BTW, it *is* hard to stay mad at such a cutie.  ;) Can I get karma for that?

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 12:43 pm

Dresden was a great example of a "total war" philosophy; civilian targets are no longer "hands off" for military strikes. The city had no military significance, but the Allies saw fit to bomb it into rubble to undermine German morale. Mission accomplished.

Agreed. Anti-american sentiments will continue, but how much of that was simmering below the surface pre-war? All we did was give the thugs a rallying cry. "Remember Fallujah!" I don't think there's a good plan that will realistically allow us to leave in "peace with honor" *and* stem the tide of terrorists planning attacks on us and our allies. That's a tall order to fill.   

BTW, it *is* hard to stay mad at such a cutie.  ;)

not much left but recriminations and regrets. And choices to be made from among an array of bad options. I DO get a tad resentful that this seems to arise from a submerged attitude in this country that worships war with an almost cult-like devotion. Everyone talks about, oh, America is so noble, we only go to war as a last resort! And then we go to war CONSTANTLY. And we're ceaselessly amazed when it fails to solve any problems and actually makes them a damn sight worse. I rather think we'll be pulling out of iraq soon with our tail between our legs and the we'll start bombing iran in a year or two. So vulgar and retarded.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 12:55 pm

not much left but recriminations and regrets. And choices to be made from among an array of bad options. I DO get a tad resentful that this seems to arise from a submerged attitude in this country that worships war with an almost cult-like devotion. Everyone talks about, oh, America is so noble, we only go to war as a last resort! And then we go to war CONSTANTLY. And we're ceaselessly amazed when it fails to solve any problems and actually makes them a damn sight worse. I rather think we'll be pulling out of iraq soon with our tail between our legs and the we'll start bombing iran in a year or two. So vulgar and retarded.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. I'm a hawkish guy. That having been said, I'm not the sort to go to war just for war's sake. There has to be a plan of action and some real strategy involved before *anything* happens. In other words, play your war games at home until you or a close ally is attacked by the enemy, but don't be an isolationist. We can't please everybody, I know, but there's no sense biting off more than we can chew. Unfortunately, that appears to be what we've done in the Middle East. Is it any wonder people hate us so much?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/06 at 1:57 pm

What happened to "Things in Iraq are going well"?  ::)  Those chickenhawks in Washington I think just like to play war. We have the big guns and we are going to use them. What does it matter if civilians (including children) get killed. We are going to "stay the course". The whole thing just makes me sick.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/16/06 at 2:23 pm

What happened to "Things in Iraq are going well"?  ::)  Those chickenhawks in Washington I think just like to play war. We have the big guns and we are going to use them. What does it matter if civilians (including children) get killed. We are going to "stay the course". The whole thing just makes me sick.

Cat

Ditto.

Written By: La Roche on 03/16/06 at 10:17 pm

I love this bit..

"We have no reports of any Iraqi army or coalition injuries at all," Bryant said. "So far, the mission has been a great success."

They don't seem to be too clear on what exactly was acomplished.. but look..

Results: Weapons caches already found, including stocks of artillery shells, explosives and bomb-making materials, as well as military uniforms

MILITARY UNIFORMS! WE'RE SAVED!!! THEY CAN'T DRESS UP SMART!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/06 at 10:22 pm

In order to make sure Iraq dosen't turn into another Vietnam, the Bushies are turning it into another Cambodia...!
  :D

Wait a minute...this is no laughing matter. The amount of human suffering the U.S. government has caused and will continue to cause in Iraq is incalculable.  Those conducting this bedeviled war have lost what's left of their sick and evil minds.  They cannot accomplish their mission, so they are sh*tting all over the country.  Every last one of them needs to be indicted, convicted, and imprisoned for war crimes.  Of course, that's never gonna happen....
>:(

Check for new replies or respond here...