» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush picks a new Secretary Of The Interior

Written By: Mushroom on 03/20/06 at 4:29 pm

Well, the President has picked his nomination for Interior Secretary.  His choice is Governor Dick Kempthorne, who is currently the Governor of Idaho.

And interestingly enough, Lt. Governor Risch has stated that he will not run for Governor at the end of the term.  This is rather unusual, since most times the person who assumes a position like this uses it to as a boost to re-election, since an incumbant always has an advantage.

And ironically, Governor Kempthorne is not the first Idaho Governor to assume this position.  In 1977, Governor Cecil D. Andrus moved from Idaho Governor to Interior Secretary.  Andrus was also the only member who refused to resign when President Carter asked for the resignation of his entire cabinet.  After serving until the end of President Carter's term, he returned to Idaho, where he served 2 more terms as State Governor.

Governor Kempthorne is an interesting choice.  When he was a US Senator, he passed a bill that would probhibit the Federal Government from imposing unfunded mandates on states.  And he has always taken a hard-line stance on businesses that damage the environment.

Subject: Re: Bush picks a new Secretary Of The Interior

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/20/06 at 8:24 pm

Well, the President has picked his nomination for Interior Secretary.  His choice is Governor Dick Kempthorne, who is currently the Governor of Idaho.

And interestingly enough, Lt. Governor Risch has stated that he will not run for Governor at the end of the term.  This is rather unusual, since most times the person who assumes a position like this uses it to as a boost to re-election, since an incumbant always has an advantage.

And ironically, Governor Kempthorne is not the first Idaho Governor to assume this position.  In 1977, Governor Cecil D. Andrus moved from Idaho Governor to Interior Secretary.  Andrus was also the only member who refused to resign when President Carter asked for the resignation of his entire cabinet.  After serving until the end of President Carter's term, he returned to Idaho, where he served 2 more terms as State Governor.

Governor Kempthorne is an interesting choice.  When he was a US Senator, he passed a bill that would probhibit the Federal Government from imposing unfunded mandates on states.  And he has always taken a hard-line stance on businesses that damage the environment.
Actually, it's Dirk Kempthorne.  But this is very interesting, because I have an uncle who lives in Boise (the capital of Idaho) and is a dean at Boise State University, and once when I visited him he told me that he's met Gov. Kempthorne a few times (and might even know him fairly well), and my uncle seemed to think quite highly of him, even though he's a Democrat and Gov. Kempthorne is a Republican. I'll have to ask him about this sometime.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/21/06 at 3:49 pm

Lets just hope that he is untainted by connections with Jack ambromOff and that he really is an envoronmentalist.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 1:47 pm

Actually, it's Dirk Kempthorne.  But this is very interesting, because I have an uncle who lives in Boise (the capital of Idaho) and is a dean at Boise State University, and once when I visited him he told me that he's met Gov. Kempthorne a few times (and might even know him fairly well), and my uncle seemed to think quite highly of him, even though he's a Democrat and Gov. Kempthorne is a Republican. I'll have to ask him about this sometime.

I lived in Boise from 1975-1982.  I loved growing up there, and still plan on moving there when I retire.  It has a great climate, and friendly people.

Idaho is rather unique, in that they do not go much for "Partaisan Politics".  They have gone both ways in voting for both President and Governor.  They really do tend to vote for the person, and not the party.

Governor Andrus was a Democrat, and he was in office when I moved to the state.  It was a year or so later when he resigned and became Sec. Interior under President Carter.  After that, it was John Evans, a 2 term Democrat.  I went to school with his son, a real jerk.

After Evans left, Andrus became Governor again for 2 terms, and since then (1995) it has all been Republicans.

Most of the Democrats have tended to be fairly Conservative, and the Republicans have all been fairly Liberal.  Part of this is because of the strong influence of the LDS church.  Conservative views (like Abortion and Religion) mix right in with Social Programs (Welfare, Right To Work, Living Wage) and create a comfortable blend for most of the residents.

Because most of the state's income is from Mining, Timber, and Agriculture there is a vested interest in conserving the environment.  Since the 1940's, there have been agressive requirements to replant after logging, and to reclaim land after it has been mined.

Check for new replies or respond here...