» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Does anyone think that the "heroes" of history were really just bastards?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 7:21 pm

Christopher Columbus, George Washington, even perhaps Abraham Lincoln were probably just jerks in real life.

Columbus' men would sharpen their knives with Indian flesh I think I've heard, and the American Revolution was really just a huge terrorist attack.  Many of the English kings/queens, Roman emperors were probably as cruel as Saddam.

Subject: Re: Does anyone think that the "heroes" of history were really just bastards?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 7:30 pm

ALL of the Founding Fathers were jerks, really.  We act like they could come back today and they'd fit in.  The truth is they were a reflection of their time, and if they saw what we were like today(as far as how socially liberal we have become) they'd probably actually condemn us.

The only one who might actually be able to fit in with today's world is Franklin.  The man actually was ahead of his time..

Subject: Re: Does anyone think that the "heroes" of history were really just bastards?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 7:31 pm

ALL of the Founding Fathers were jerks, really.  We act like they could come back today and they'd fit in.  The truth is they were a reflection of their time, and if they saw what we were like today(as far as how socially liberal we have become) they'd probably actually condemn us.

The only one who might actually be able to fit in with today's world is Franklin.  The man actually was ahead of his time..

Oh yeah, Franklin is awesome.

Even Lincoln was probably kind of a jerk.  It's very possible, if not probable he was only less racist than everyone else in his time.

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/06 at 7:32 pm

Christopher Columbus was a real jerk.  I saw that Bugs Bunny cartoon ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 7:34 pm

Oh yeah, Franklin is awesome.

Even Lincoln was probably kind of a jerk.  It's very possible, if not probable he was only less racist than everyone else in his time.

There's an old joke that the morning after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation he woke up with a bad hangover, and said "I signed WHAT??".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 7:36 pm

There's an old joke that the morning after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation he woke up with a bad hangover, and said "I signed WHAT??".

;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/23/06 at 7:42 pm

Lincoln still believed black people were inferior, just not deserving of being enslaved, essentially.

Christopher Columbus was insanely greedy and cruel, even beyond Spanish imperial demands, and lost support of the Spanish crown. But I think some European would have discovered the "Americas" (named after Amerigo Vespucci, it indirectly roots from "amity", or love and friendship, a Latin root), anyway, and without the Americas my relatives would still be being randomly burned by Polish and Ukrainian people in pogroms and starving periodically while studying Torah and making shoes. And the shtetl or ghetto wasn't a great life.

James Madison was pretty cool. Thomas Jefferson was sort of a big hypocrite, though he was indisputably a smart guy. Also, TJ was the best-looking of the founding fathers.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 7:51 pm

Christopher Columbus was insanely greedy and cruel, even beyond Spanish imperial demands, and lost support of the Spanish crown. But I think some European would have discovered the "Americas" (named after Amerigo Vespucci, it indirectly roots from "amity", or love and friendship, a Latin root), anyway, and without the Americas my relatives would still be being randomly burned by Polish and Ukrainian people in pogroms and starving periodically while studying Torah and making shoes. And the shtetl or ghetto wasn't a great life.

Mine too. ;) Not all of them, but some.

James Madison was pretty cool. Thomas Jefferson was sort of a big hypocrite, though he was indisputably a smart guy. Also, TJ was the best-looking of the founding fathers.

Benjamin Franklin tops them all.  He did an amazing amount for one life, quite the rennaisance(sp?) man. He founded the first volunteer fire department in the U.S. I believe, as well as one of the firsts hospitals.  If not perhaps THE first hospital.  He also opened up the first public library, I believe.

In edition, I think he was known for expressing some abolitionist views, in a time where noone really did.  He also published a book of sayings which is where alot of traditional American sayings actually come from.

To top it off he was quite the womanizer, in a time where sex was believed evil/vile.  Hey, I think that counts for something.

Infact, here is something cool I found.  Its a letter he wrote to someone he knew, in which he advocates older women. LOL!

http://personal.pitnet.net/primarysources/mistress.html

Read it.  It's quite interesting..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 7:54 pm

B. Frank:

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 7:59 pm

B. Frank:

You're the man now, dawg!!

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/23/06 at 8:18 pm

Mine too. ;) Not all of them, but some.

Benjamin Franklin tops them all.  He did an amazing amount for one life, quite the rennaisance(sp?) man. He founded the first volunteer fire department in the U.S. I believe, as well as one of the firsts hospitals.  If not perhaps THE first hospital.  He also opened up the first public library, I believe.

In edition, I think he was known for expressing some abolitionist views, in a time where noone really did.  He also published a book of sayings which is where alot of traditional American sayings actually come from.

To top it off he was quite the womanizer, in a time where sex was believed evil/vile.  Hey, I think that counts for something.

Infact, here is something cool I found.  Its a letter he wrote to someone he knew, in which he advocates older women. LOL!

http://personal.pitnet.net/primarysources/mistress.html

Read it.  It's quite interesting..

TJ had a thing for black girls.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 9:28 pm

TJ had a thing for black girls.

His slaves. ::)

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/24/06 at 9:58 am

Most of history's heroes were jerks to somebody or other. The thing is, they were the jerks that *won*, so they got to write the history books.

Written By: McDonald on 03/24/06 at 10:53 am

There's no question that these were intelligent men, but as to their character I believe many of them had serious moral deficiencies by today's standards. I've read essays by Thomas Jefferson in support of salvery that employed pseudoscience and cruel stereotypes beyond belief. I'm sure Washington was no different in his beliefs.

Franklin was an intelligent man, and self made. I don't see him as a classist at all because he was a poor journeyman for much of his life. His brilliance sets him apart from the rest.

The English monarchs were bastards to the fullest degree, without question. I have no admiration for them whatsoever. I have a certain respect for the early Anglo-Saxon kingdoms simply because they weren't imperialistic colonisers. Their business was supporting themselves and fighting further invasion (although they themselves had won the land from the native Brythonic Celts thanks to invasion). But the period between the William the Conquerer (who incidentally was known as William the Bastard before 1066) and the firm beginnings of the modern Westminster-style constitutional monarchy (parliamentary democracy) I have no respect for. What did they do besides conquer and subjugate the Scots, Irish, and Welsh nations, brutally colonise North America, and engage in silly continental wars with the French? Well, they did lay the foundation for the American and Canadian nations, but that doesn't mean I respect those activities for what they reall were: imperialism, racism, classism....all the bad -isms.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/24/06 at 2:00 pm

(although they themselves had won the land from the native Brythonic Celts thanks to invasion).

My ancestors.  Welsh represent! ;D

Written By: gmann on 03/24/06 at 2:12 pm

But the period between the William the Conquerer (who incidentally was known as William the Bastard before 1066) and the firm beginnings of the modern Westminster-style constitutional monarchy (parliamentary democracy) I have no respect for. What did they do besides conquer and subjugate the Scots, Irish, and Welsh nations, brutally colonise North America, and engage in silly continental wars with the French? Well, they did lay the foundation for the American and Canadian nations, but that doesn't mean I respect those activities for what they reall were: imperialism, racism, classism....all the bad -isms.

Over the course of history, we've done some horrible things to one another while taking care of number one. I think that's just human nature at work. I hold out hope that we've become somewhat enlightened since the colonial era. The question is, where would we be today without imperialism? Is it realistic to establish a new nation (or further extend one) *without* it? I'm just curious.

Written By: Satish on 03/24/06 at 2:45 pm

But the period between the William the Conquerer (who incidentally was known as William the Bastard before 1066) and the firm beginnings of the modern Westminster-style constitutional monarchy (parliamentary democracy) I have no respect for. What did they do besides conquer and subjugate the Scots, Irish, and Welsh nations, brutally colonise North America, and engage in silly continental wars with the French? Well, they did lay the foundation for the American and Canadian nations, but that doesn't mean I respect those activities for what they reall were: imperialism, racism, classism....all the bad -isms.

Even going into the twentieth century, most of the leaders we usually admire were really far from perfect. Winston Churchill was an authoritarian imperialist who wanted to continue Britain's tyrannical rule of its overseas empire. And Franklin Roosevelt didn't do anything to stop the practice of segregation in the United States.

Written By: gmann on 03/24/06 at 3:02 pm

Even going into the twentieth century, most of the leaders we usually admire were really far from perfect. Winston Churchill was an authoritarian imperialist who wanted to continue Britain's tyrannical rule of its overseas empire. And Franklin Roosevelt didn't do anything to stop the practice of segregation in the United States.

Nobody's perfect. What's for dinner?  ;)

In hindsight, segregation seems to have been the elephant in the room that everybody wanted to ignore; you knew it was there, but why rock the boat? Racial attitudes that begat segregation were around for a long time before the civil rights monvement. Kennedy might have made great strides in the civil rights arena, but even his administration had its failings.

Check for new replies or respond here...