» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 911 Screwup in Chattanooga...kinda reminds me of a Public Enemy rap song!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/24/06 at 7:03 pm

Some dumba$$ 911 operator in Chattanooga is a real screwup....here's the story..http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060324114809990030&ncid=NWS00010000000001

WTF?

Subject: Re: 911 Screwup in Chattanooga...kinda reminds me of a Public Enemy rap song!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/06 at 5:12 pm

It gets worse.  There was a case in Massachusetts where a 911 operator got a garbled call and ignored it.  The next day the supervisor came
in and checked the caller ID and decided to check out the house, the woman died(had been murdered) with the phone in her hand.  Then of course there was the one where someone was able to dial 911, the police went to the house, knocked on the door, and when no one answered they left.  Turns out the people in the house were tied up, the robbers were still in there.  Luckily they left after the cops did without killing anybody.  In both cases the perpertrators were never caught.

Subject: Re: 911 Screwup in Chattanooga...kinda reminds me of a Public Enemy rap song!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/06 at 6:38 pm

In Philadelphia some kid was being beaten up by a gang..someone called 911, no response. The kid was dead by the time any kind of help arrived. I think the boy's parents sued the city.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/08/06 at 6:08 pm

Some other 911 operator screwed up...this time in Detroit. The kid was calling because his mom was very sick...the operator told him 'stop playing with the phone' and did not pass the call on to police. And now the child's mother is dead.http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060408114909990004&ncid=NWS00010000000001

I hope the 911 operator loses their job...this is unprofessional!

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 6:50 pm

recently in georgia, a child dialed 911 because his mother had collapsed. the operator told him that if he continued to make prank calls then he would be in big trouble. by the time he finaly convinced the operator, his mother was dead. the same thing happened in florida many years ago when 3-4 teens were on a boat in the ocean. their boat was sinking and they dialed 911. the operator told them that prank calls to 911 would get them in big trouble. all of the teens drowned. i don't think that 911 opperators should have the right to judge the calls.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/06 at 7:07 pm

recently in georgia, a child dialed 911 because his mother had collapsed. the operator told him that if he continued to make prank calls then he would be in big trouble. by the time he finaly convinced the operator, his mother was dead. the same thing happened in florida many years ago when 3-4 teens were on a boat in the ocean. their boat was sinking and they dialed 911. the operator told them that prank calls to 911 would get them in big trouble. all of the teens drowned. i don't think that 911 opperators should have the right to judge the calls.

I thought the cops were required to respond to ALL 911 calls no matter how suspicious they sound. A lot of 911 calls will sound suspicious because people get into pretty bizarre situations. If there is an individual making bogus 911 calls, he should get in BIIIIG trouble, but the consequences should come after the cops investigate and discover the calls are bogus.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 7:42 pm

I thought the cops were required to respond to ALL 911 calls no matter how suspicious they sound. A lot of 911 calls will sound suspicious because people get into pretty bizarre situations. If there is an individual making bogus 911 calls, he should get in BIIIIG trouble, but the consequences should come after the cops investigate and discover the calls are bogus.

that is the law but it is frequently broken.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/11/06 at 2:06 am

I always thought the point of the creation of "911" was so it would be easy for kids to remember if there was ever an emergency.

I dialed 911 once when I was about 4 or 5.  When they answered, i hung up.  Yes, the police showed up at our door.  Yes, I got in biiiiiig trouble. :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...