» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Do you think George W. Bush should be impeached?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/24/06 at 8:08 pm

I say, impeach him...look at what he did during Katrina(stayed on vacation in Texas instead of helping out with the situation)...his wiretapping of American citizens...and his trying to turn over our ports to the Arabs, IMO leaving this country open to Al-Qaida terrorists..and don't forget, he only got elected for a second term because of vote manipulation by his own brother!

Subject: Re: Do you think George W. Bush should be impeached?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 8:25 pm

I say, impeach him...look at what he did during Katrina(stayed on vacation in Texas instead of helping out with the situation)...his wiretapping of American citizens...and his trying to turn over our ports to the Arabs, IMO leaving this country open to Al-Qaida terrorists..and don't forget, he only got elected for a second term because of vote manipulation by his own brother!

OK, one at a time.

The wiretaps, that is the NSA.  And that had congressional approval.  And it is legal.

The ports also was done by a committee.  And do not forget, that was also endorsed by Presidents Carter and Clinton.  Should we string them up also?

And Florida again.  President Bush won in Florida by almost 400,000 votes.  Hardly a small number.  He is also the first President since his father to win the majority of votes.  He won almost 51% of the popular vote, and over 3,000,000 more votes then Sen. Kerry.

And what should be done to stop Al-Queda that is not being done now?  Oh, I got it.  We pull out of Iraq and Afganistan, and let them take over those countries again.  There, that will keep us safe.

What amazes me is that people see these as horrible crimes, even though they are only differences of opinion.  And when a President commits a Felony, they want us to ignore it.

*logs off of this topic - to much partaisan anger*

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 9:59 pm

As Mushroom pointed out very well.

The President isn't actually responsible for any of these.

Most of them aren't even based on fact anyway  ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/24/06 at 10:09 pm

No I don't think he should be impeached, even though I seriously do not like him. He's made many many mistakes but nothing blatently impeachable. And for the record, Clinton should not have been impeached either, it was a partisan GOP move. It had absolutely nothing to do with perjury or obstruction of justice, they simply wanted to tarnish the record of Clinton and they did succeed in that. I say censure Bush for the spy program and rushing to war on faultly intelligence.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/24/06 at 11:33 pm

Nope.

What he did was stupid, clumsy and retarded, but none of them constitute "high crimes and misdemeanors" which the President must have committed in order to be impeached. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/24/06 at 11:34 pm

OK, one at a time.

The wiretaps, that is the NSA.  And that had congressional approval.  And it is legal.

The ports also was done by a committee.  And do not forget, that was also endorsed by Presidents Carter and Clinton.  Should we string them up also?

And Florida again.  President Bush won in Florida by almost 400,000 votes.  Hardly a small number.  He is also the first President since his father to win the majority of votes.  He won almost 51% of the popular vote, and over 3,000,000 more votes then Sen. Kerry.

And what should be done to stop Al-Queda that is not being done now?  Oh, I got it.  We pull out of Iraq and Afganistan, and let them take over those countries again.  There, that will keep us safe.

What amazes me is that people see these as horrible crimes, even though they are only differences of opinion.  And when a President commits a Felony, they want us to ignore it.

*logs off of this topic - to much partaisan anger*

Well stated.  He hasn't done anything that's impeachable.

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 11:36 pm

Nope.

What he did was stupid, clumsy and retarded, but none of them constitute "high crimes and misdemeanors" which the President must have committed in order to be impeached. 

Exactly.

Has the President agreed to courses of action that I think are misguided and certainly not the correct plan.. yes.

Has he personally done anything terribly illegal. No.

Plus it'll be a long time before the Democrats gain the power to try and force anything.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/24/06 at 11:38 pm

Exactly.

Has the President agreed to courses of action that I think are misguided and certainly not the correct plan.. yes.

Has he personally done anything terribly illegal. No.

Plus it'll be a long time before the Democrats gain the power to try and force anything.

Nixon is the only president we've had who would have been impeached had he not resigned.  There's no way he would have gotten away with what he did.  Short of that, a president either has to commit murder, rape or treason. 

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 11:41 pm

Nixon is the only president we've had who would have been impeached had he not resigned.  There's no way he would have gotten away with what he did.  Short of that, a president either has to commit murder, rape or treason. 

I'll bet you my bottom dollar that somewhere out there right now, somebody is arguing that Bill Clinton is a rapist.
I know this..

Because I'm related to the man who say's it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/24/06 at 11:43 pm

I'll bet you my bottom dollar that somewhere out there right now, somebody is arguing that Bill Clinton is a rapist.
I know this..

Because I'm related to the man who say's it.

All we know Clinton to have done was get a knob shine from Monica and show his winky-dink to Paula Jones.  Where rape fits into any of that, I don't know.  I heard he liked to get kinky with the ladies, but forcing them to do anything?  That would be news to me.

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 11:45 pm

All we know Clinton to have done was get a knob shine from Monica and show his winky-dink to Paula Jones.  Where rape fits into any of that, I don't know.  I heard he liked to get kinky with the ladies, but forcing them to do anything?  That would be news to me.

Try explaining that to a man that thinks anybody born north of Kansas City is the spawn of satan.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/25/06 at 12:27 am

It doesn't matter. It's obvious he's just a puppet boy anyway.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/25/06 at 12:55 am

I said Yes, but I agree with Al.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/25/06 at 11:06 am

Impeach him!!!!!  He has committed so many "high ctimes..." that any fair minded person in on the facts would have to vote to convict.  Read the last chapter of Paul Krugman's The Great Unravaling, its a real eye opener.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:29 am

Wasting the lives of 2,300+ American soldiers and also causing the deaths of 100,000+ Iraqi's is worthy of impeachment, IMO. 

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 12:33 pm

I voted yes but I

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/06 at 2:08 pm

Wasting the lives of 2,300+ American soldiers and also causing the deaths of 100,000+ Iraqi's is worthy of impeachment, IMO. 

What about the presidents that sent troops to Vietnam, thereby causing their deaths and the deaths of Vietnamese people?

If they didn't get impeached for that, Bush won't get impeached for this.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/06 at 5:51 pm

Not yes but HELL YES!!!!  This guy is so crooked he make Tricky Dicky look like Mother Theresa. The illegal wiretappings, the Iraq war, and secretive meetings in just about every department, etc. etc. The guy has commit many high crimes and misdemeanors, he is a danger to this country, and if we don't do something about it NOW, the U.S. will start to look more and more like Nazi Germany.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 6:21 pm

What about the presidents that sent troops to Vietnam, thereby causing their deaths and the deaths of Vietnamese people?

If they didn't get impeached for that, Bush won't get impeached for this.

I wouldn't really blame Eisenhower or Kennedy.  They both sent in advisors, but it was Johnson who turned it into a war, and he did it on what later proved to be false grounds(the Gulf of Tonkin incident).  Actually, Johnson SHOULD have been impeached.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/06 at 6:35 pm

Even if Bush the Second was impeached, he would be pardoned by Cheney..who would be president until 2009.
Republicans always stick up for their cronies, to h*ll with the American public!

This administration is absolutely rotten to the core. Not just Bush, but Cheney, Halliburton, the Christian Coalition and all their cronies and yes-men!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/06 at 6:37 pm

Even if Bush the Second was impeached, he would be pardoned by Cheney..who would be president until 2009.
Republicans always stick up for their cronies, to h*ll with the American public!

This administration is absolutely rotten to the core. Not just Bush, but Cheney, Halliburton, the Christian Coalition and all their cronies and yes-men!

Cheney should also be impeached.

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 03/25/06 at 6:58 pm

I agree with what Mushroom said.  The Iraq war was voted on by congress (including Kerry) and that is the way the system works.  Congress votes, the majority rules.  When the majority speaks, the president shouldn't get impeached for acting on it.

The whole wiretapping thing is all fine and dandy to complain about now, but just like with 9/11 IF something happened, the same people would be complaining that we should have known and stopped it.

And Katrina, ok I agree Bush probably could have done more.. but if you want to impeach him for that, don't forget about the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana...oh wait..they can't be blamed.. they're democrats. ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/06 at 7:09 pm

I agree with what Mushroom said.  The Iraq war was voted on by congress (including Kerry) and that is the way the system works.  Congress votes, the majority rules.  When the majority speaks, the president shouldn't get impeached for acting on it.

The whole wiretapping thing is all fine and dandy to complain about now, but just like with 9/11 IF something happened, the same people would be complaining that we should have known and stopped it.

And Katrina, ok I agree Bush probably could have done more.. but if you want to impeach him for that, don't forget about the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana...oh wait..they can't be blamed.. they're democrats. ::)
New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin should be impeached too. What a dumba$$. Especially his not announcing to city residents that they could evacuate gratis via Amtrak.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 7:11 pm

You're sure right he could have done more.  Especially since we now know he was warned about the levee's vulnerability beforehand.

And I've yet to meet a Democrat or a Liberal who has seriously defended Kathleen Blanco or Ray Nagin.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/06 at 12:16 am

not really diggin' him...but I answered no.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:24 am

I can see where you are coming from.  He has yet to do anything specific like in the sense of Watergate. 

With me it's just what I see as a build-up of different things.  It does say "High crimes and misdemeanors" afterall. ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:27 am

As for Clinton, he lied about oral sex.  I don't see how that justifies impeachment.  Should impeachment be given out for any technical infraction of the law?  I don't really think so.  I think these things should be taken into context, and if the actions in question have hurt a lot of people, then I'd say yes.  It just seems to me Bush's mistakes have actually hurt a lot of people.

Also, I don't think they should have been prying in to that area of Clinton's life anyway.  The criticisms being thrown at Bush have to do with his job as President, not personal moral decisions.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 12:30 am

It's the same way with me, I said censure, but no impeachment. I take the "high crimes and misdemeanors" very seriously and I don't think what Bush has done quite amounts to high crimes. I don't think we should be just impeaching presidents just because we don't like them, like the republicans did with Clinton.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/06 at 12:33 am

It's the same way with me, I said censure, but no impeachment. I take the "high crimes and misdemeanors" very seriously and I don't think what Bush has done quite amounts to high crimes. I don't think we should be just impeaching president just because we don't like them, like the republicans did with Clinton.

Precisely!  There have been a lot of presidents over the last 230 years who've done some real stupid sh*t, but impeaching them based on popularity would open up a can of worms no one wants.  The problem is, at the time Bush did all that he did, he had Congressional backing and he wasn't breaking the law.  Hindsight being 20/20, we know he shouldn't have done it, but at the time we couldn't know how bad it would turn out. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:34 am

It's the same way with me, I said censure, but no impeachment. I take the "high crimes and misdemeanors" very seriously and I don't think what Bush has done quite amounts to high crimes. I don't think we should be just impeaching president just because we don't like them, like the republicans did with Clinton.

Well, if it can ever be proven the Iraq war was a foregone conclusion, I think that could be possible grounds for Impeachment.  You need to learn more about something called "Project for a New American Century", I think that in itself is proof of this.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/26/06 at 1:21 pm

Actually, we've been through most of this before on this board.  A small group of Bush appologists refuse to acknowledge that Bush has lied to Congress and lied to the people.  If Clinton could be impeached for his fibs about sex, why shouldn't Bush be impeached for his lies about Iraq?  But that's not all.  How about the cover-ups, the sweet deals for Halliburton (smells like Teapot Dome to me), the lies to Congress about the cost of the Medicare drug benefit...the list is almost endless.  And it seems to me that utter malfeasance could be considered a misdomeanor.

But Tia is right, to actually change things, the entire exec branch would have to be impeached.  Thats one of the problems with with our system of government.  A parlimentary system would serve us much better.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 2:19 pm

Actually, we've been through most of this before on this board.  A small group of Bush appologists refuse to acknowledge that Bush has lied to Congress and lied to the people.  If Clinton could be impeached for his fibs about sex, why shouldn't Bush be impeached for his lies about Iraq?  But that's not all.  How about the cover-ups, the sweet deals for Halliburton (smells like Teapot Dome to me), the lies to Congress about the cost of the Medicare drug benefit...the list is almost endless.  And it seems to me that utter malfeasance could be considered a misdomeanor.

But Tia is right, to actually change things, the entire exec branch would have to be impeached.  Thats one of the problems with with our system of government.  A parlimentary system would serve us much better.

I agree.  A Parliamentary system, with preportional representation.  Kinda like New Zealand.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/26/06 at 3:22 pm

A small group of Bush appologists refuse to acknowledge that Bush has lied to Congress and lied to the people. 

Is there any actual evidence that he "lied" about anything, as opposed to possibly being mistaken??  People keep saying that he lied to congress in regards to the war... but I highly doubt that President Bush stood before a room of congressmen and stated things without showing them the intelligence that he had seen.  Tony Blair was one that contributed this intelligence to Bush.  I still think there's a chance that whatever weapons were there were moved to Syria... but I also realize that the intelligence may have been faulty.  That is not necessarily a 'lie' on Bush's part.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/06 at 5:52 pm

I'm with you, Honey. It just blows my mind how people can be so blind to the facts. If he only told one lie, ok, I can see looking the other way, but he tells lies after lies after lies and STILL people believe him. I just don't get it.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/06 at 7:52 pm

I'm with you, Honey. It just blows my mind how people can be so blind to the facts. If he only told one lie, ok, I can see looking the other way, but he tells lies after lies after lies and STILL people believe him. I just don't get it.

Cat

Unless you can prove with 100% certainty and not a shred of doubt about it that he lied........you got bupkiss.  You have to be able to PROVE that he knowing, maliciously and without due cause lied to the American people to ever have that stand.  Furthermore, none of that qualifies for "high crimes and misdemeanors".  Pretty much that entails rape, murder and treason, none of which he committed.  I hate him as much as the next Democrat, but if he's thrown out , it has to be for the right reasons. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/26/06 at 9:58 pm

Bush the Second is a shining example of government by the filthy rich, for the filthy rich..screw the average Joe who struggles to make ends meet!

But I really don't think the Democrats are that much better either...

You really can't win, either way, we're screwed!

The only way things would change is if we ever adopted socialism(not communism)..but knowing Americans, that will never happen.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:22 am

Bush the Second is a shining example of government by the filthy rich, for the filthy rich..screw the average Joe who struggles to make ends meet!

But I really don't think the Democrats are that much better either...

You really can't win, either way, we're screwed!

The only way things would change is if we ever adopted socialism(not communism)..but knowing Americans, that will never happen.

Yes......socialism has done wonders in places like Cuba and China.  Let's look to them as a shining example of how to run a country. 

Democracy sucks.  I have no idea why we've kept plodding along with this wacky garbage.  I knew the Founding Fathers were full of crap when they deigned to suggest a government run by the people, for the people and of the people.  I mean, who needs to have people elected by a majority when we can have no say in it at all!  Hey, I know.......how about a Fascist state?!

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 1:28 am

Cuba and China are communist states, not socialist.  An example of a socialist country would be Norway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 1:28 am

Two things have to happen. Neither will.
1. The Democrats have to take back the House in November.
2. The Democrats have to have the cajones to blow off their own corporate paymasters and follow the example set forth by Senator Feingold.

1. Won't happen because the Republicans killed democracy by a thousand cuts via gerrymandering, fraudulent voting machines, and sneaky disenfranchisement.
2. Won't happen because the Democrats are bought and paid for by the same big business interests as the Republicans, and they're wimpy "I don't want no trouble, mister!" kinda lazy gutless mofos.

But maybe I'm wrong. If the Dems do take back back the House in November and start an investigation, oh boy will you see 100% proof Bush lied about the war and thw wiretapping, and a dozen high crimes and misdemeanors none of us even know about yet! It will flip your wig, I mean it'll really make you blow lunch if you find out what they've REALLY been up to! Wait'll you find out about what REALLY happened on 9/11. Wait'll you see the internment camp Halliburton is building in YOUR backyard with YOUR tax dollars for YOUR future residency!

Impeach Bush? Hell yes! Impeach all those crooks and thugs in the executive branch. But don't stop with impeachment. Remove them from office, convict them of treason, and send them to maximum security hard time for the rest of their sniveling sneaking lives! Let's do what we should have done with Watergate and Iran-Contra. Let's send a message that we won't put up with this kind bastardized late-Roman imperialism and greedy-azz politicians and businessmen stealing the public dough!

I wish...

Now gimme another hit off that J!
8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:42 am

Cuba and China are communist states, not socialist.  An example of a socialist country would be Norway.

Fine.  Norway also has a monarchy......should we go to that? 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 2:09 am

Fine.  Norway also has a monarchy......should we go to that? 

Evil Kenieval couldn't make that leap of logic.

Norway has a monarchy in the sense that if a cow is born in a tree it's a bird.  The "monarchy" in Norway is completely symbolic.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 2:12 am

Evil Kenieval couldn't make that leap of logic.

Norway has a monarchy in the sense that if a cow is born in a tree it's a bird.  The "monarchy" in Norway is completely symbolic.

I just want to know why all of a sudden we should abandon democracy and move to a socialist state.  George Carlin said it best; "Garbage in, garbage out."  If people want governmental change, then all the lazy f*cks who don't vote should get off their asses and do so.  We get what we vote for, and if it sucks.....well, they were voted in.  Maybe if more people voted in 2004, Kerry would be president right now.

Written By: Tia on 03/27/06 at 4:49 am

I just want to know why all of a sudden we should abandon democracy and move to a socialist state.  George Carlin said it best; "Garbage in, garbage out."  If people want governmental change, then all the lazy f*cks who don't vote should get off their asses and do so.  We get what we vote for, and if it sucks.....well, they were voted in.  Maybe if more people voted in 2004, Kerry would be president right now.
liberal as i am, and as much as i despise GW bush et al, i have a heckuva time finding comfort in the prospect of kerry as president. dude was like the android product of a series of focus groups! "reporting for duty."

ugh. the dems need to cure what ails em. till then i'm gonna pick a random third party candidate and vote for him or her. weirder the better. it's a plus if a part of their platform involves demanding "answers from the government on the UFO question."

Written By: Tia on 03/27/06 at 4:50 am

if a cow is born in a tree it's a bird.  this is a great expression, i've never heard that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/06 at 3:01 pm

Unless you can prove with 100% certainty and not a shred of doubt about it that he lied........you got bupkiss.  You have to be able to PROVE that he knowing, maliciously and without due cause lied to the American people to ever have that stand.  Furthermore, none of that qualifies for "high crimes and misdemeanors".  Pretty much that entails rape, murder and treason, none of which he committed.  I hate him as much as the next Democrat, but if he's thrown out , it has to be for the right reasons. 

How about a violation of the IV Amendment of the Constitution-Protection from unreasonable search and seizure? Wiretappings WITHOUT warrents! Or how about a violation of the V Amendment-provisions concerning prosecution and due process of law? People being imprisoned WITHOUT being charged! How about a violation of the VIII Amendment-cruel and unusual punishment? Can you say "Torture"? And (in my book, the most important one) a violation of the First Amendment-free speech, freedom of the press, freedom to assemble and freedom to protition the Government for grievances all have been suppressed! Those are only the few that I can come up with in a short time. I'm sure there are many, many more. And if those violations of the Constitution does not spell out "high crimes and misdemeanors", I don't know what does. He raised his hand and swore that he would defend the Constitution against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. To me, he is one of the Constitution's biggest enemy and he needs to be behind bars! And to me, this spells out TREASON!!

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 3:10 pm

How about a violation of the IV Amendment of the Constitution-Protection from unreasonable search and seizure? Wiretappings WITHOUT warrents! Or how about a violation of the V Amendment-provisions concerning prosecution and due process of law? People being imprisoned WITHOUT being charged! How about a violation of the VIII Amendment-cruel and unusual punishment? Can you say "Torture"? And (in my book, the most important one) a violation of the First Amendment-free speech, freedom of the press, freedom to assemble and freedom to protition the Government for grievances all have been suppressed! Those are only the few that I can come up with in a short time. I'm sure there are many, many more. And if those violations of the Constitution does not spell out "high crimes and misdemeanors", I don't know what does. He raised his hand and swore that he would defend the Constitution against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. To me, he is one of the Constitution's biggest enemy and he needs to be behind bars! And to me, this spells out TREASON!!

Cat

Wow.

Other people have said what I was going to say far better than I could, so I'll just leave it at wow.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/06 at 3:00 am

How about a violation of the IV Amendment of the Constitution-Protection from unreasonable search and seizure? Wiretappings WITHOUT warrents!

I believe Mushroom can provide evidence that this is legal for prevention purposes, just not valid as evidence in court.

Or how about a violation of the V Amendment-provisions concerning prosecution and due process of law? People being imprisoned WITHOUT being charged!

I believe there is a legal exception when it comes to war criminals.  That is why they are tried via military tribunals as opposed to regular courts.  Bush did not invent this exception.

Can you say "Torture"?

That was done by a few military personnel who were most likely not feeling much sympathy for the people who had just tried to kill them.  Blaming that on Bush is like saying when a few school kids act up, fire the principal.

And (in my book, the most important one) a violation of the First Amendment-free speech

Free speech is alive and well in my neck of the woods.  Haven't seen anyone being told what to say or not say.

freedom of the press

Again, alive and well.  I hear criticisms of Bush every single day on the radio.

freedom to assemble

This is way too alive and well... on our busy streets.  They can't even stay on the sidewalk so people who pay for the streets can use them to get to work.  Haven't seen anyone try to stop them as long as they're not violent.

No president will every satisfy everybody... that's why we have elections.  And in my opinion, impeaching the president without MAJOR cause demeans the whole idea of elections.  Remember, Bush was very adamant in his campaign that we were going to see this through, he was not going to back out, etc..  And he still was elected.  For the record, I was against the Clinton impeachment also.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 3:02 am

I believe Mushroom can provide evidence that this is legal for prevention purposes, just not valid as evidence in court.

I believe there is a legal exception when it comes to war criminals.  That is why they are tried via military tribunals as opposed to regular courts.  Bush did not invent this exception.

That was done by a few military personnel who were most likely not feeling much sympathy for the people who had just tried to kill them.  Blaming that on Bush is like saying when a few school kids act up, fire the principal.

Free speech is alive and well in my neck of the woods.  Haven't seen anyone being told what to say or not say.

Again, alive and well.  I hear criticisms of Bush every single day on the radio.

This is way too alive and well... on our busy streets.  They can't even stay on the sidewalk so people who pay for the streets can use them to get to work.  Haven't seen anyone try to stop them as long as they're not violent.

No president will every satisfy everybody... that's why we have elections.  And in my opinion, impeaching the president without MAJOR cause demeans the whole idea of elections.  Remember, Bush was very adamant in his campaign that we were going to see this through, he was not going to back out, etc..  And he still was elected.  For the record, I was against the Clinton impeachment also.

There you go, making sense.  Don't you know that will just confuse people?  Gosh.  ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 9:18 am

*popping in to provide clarification*

Constitutional Protections against search and seizure mean exacty that, search ans seizure.  And the protections against wiretapping are just that, protections against wiretapping.

In this instance, there was nothing searched, and nothins seized.  And there was never any wiretapping.

period.

Remember, the NSA collected information from radio intercepts.  And the Supreme Court many many many times have stated that there is no protection against this.  None.  Ever.  The NSA (or local police) can use your cell phone to trace your location.  They can listen into any cell phone conversation they want to.  And there is not a single thing that you or anybody else can do about it.

Do not confuse cellular phone monitoring with wiretapping.  One requires a warrant, and the other does not.  In fact, anybody can monitor the phone calls from anybody.  It is 100% legal.  With a few hundred dollars of equipment, you can even monitor the calls that are sent to and from satellites.  Nobody can stop you, and the equipment used is 100% legal to own.  And the monitoring of such things is part of the NSA charter.

In this case, the NSA was told to gather specific phone calls, from specific individuals.  Every one of them was uncovered from other intelligence.  But they were simply doing what they have always done: monitored communications.

And one last time: do not confuse what is "illegal" with "what is admissable in court".  It is not illegal to question a suspect without reading him his rights.  However, anything that is uncovered through this interrogation is not admissible in court.  However, that information gathered may help save lives, or prevent another crime.  This is why police often question suspects without reading them their rights, so they can gather information they would not give up once they have been mirandized.

As for the "detainees", they are not protected by law.  That's right.  They are not eligable to the protections of the Geneva Convention.  In fact, under the Geneva Convention, they can be executed on the spot, without any form of trial.  As Odyssey mentioned, they are war criminals.

Torture?  *laughs*    I guess if making somebody wear womens underware on their head is torture, then there are thousands of guys would pay for such torture.  Remember, we are talking about people who have tortured people to death.  They have kidnapped people under their own sworn protection, beat them, then videotaped their beheading.  And you are worried about making them wear underware on their head and such trivialities?

Tell me how that compares to what Nick Berg, Kim Sun-il, Fabrizio Quattrocchi, Ihab el-Sherif, Jasem Mohammad Husein Mahdi, William Bradley, Ronald Schulz, Tom Fox, and the list goes on and on and on.  If you think any indignities they have undergone even comes close to "torture", tell that to the widow of Nick Berg.

*steps back away from the partaisan bickering*

And yes, I would have given the exact same reasoning no matter who was President.  To me, this is a National Security matter that makes sense.  I would not care if it was Bush, Clinton, or even President Kerry.  National Security is a subject with me that transcends "political affiliation".

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 1:40 pm

Torture is torture. Trying to argue that because our form of torture is not as severe as the enemy's that somehow justifies it is crazy.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/06 at 6:47 pm

So what if listening in to cell-phone conversations is legal, 'legal' does not make it right all the time. Hey, my PACT team and housing staff use cell phones all the time to call me, and some of the stuff we talk about, no one else has a right to know, why do you think HIPAA was enacted? Now I wanna know who the h*ll listens in whenever we chat or text-message using a cellular phone!

And yes, George W. Bush tries to put the kibosh on the freedom of speech/expression of those who don't bow down to him..Cindy Sheehan is one of those he tried to silence.

And torture is wrong, period...no matter which side does it. In that respect, Bush and Private Lynndie England are no better than the Arabs who commit torture...

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 7:03 pm

And torture is wrong, period...no matter which side does it. In that respect, Bush and Private Lynndie England are no better than the Arabs who commit torture...

I am honestly amazed, and this is why I normally stay out of these partaisan attack topics.

How can anybody even remotely compare making somebody put womens underware on their head with terrorizing somebody and then cutting off his head.  If somebody can honestly make a statement like that, there are some serious issues there.

This is why people like me look at the Liberals, and thnk they all are a bunch of nutcases.  When things that are done every day as jokes are compared to beheading, then there is no logic.

And HIPAA was enacted to restrict what information could be presented in court.  Anything gathered outside of it is inadmissable.  That does not make it illegal.

Hearsay is legal.  You can report it in any way you want, even publish it.  However, it also is inadmissable in court.  Statements from somebody who was not Mirandized is inadmissable in court, but it is not illegal to get them.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/06 at 7:08 pm

Torture is torture. Trying to argue that because our form of torture is not as severe as the enemy's that somehow justifies it is crazy.

I don't think Mushroom was attempting to justify anything.  I took his post as a question to those who express one-sided outrage about a two-sided situation.  If you find torture on both sides reprehensible, why is the outrage directed at America, instead of at both America and the insurgency??

Written By: Tia on 03/28/06 at 8:34 pm

I am honestly amazed, and this is why I normally stay out of these partaisan attack topics.

How can anybody even remotely compare making somebody put womens underware on their head with terrorizing somebody and then cutting off his head.  If somebody can honestly make a statement like that, there are some serious issues there.

This is why people like me look at the Liberals, and thnk they all are a bunch of nutcases.  When things that are done every day as jokes are compared to beheading, then there is no logic.

And HIPAA was enacted to restrict what information could be presented in court.  Anything gathered outside of it is inadmissable.  That does not make it illegal.

Hearsay is legal.  You can report it in any way you want, even publish it.  However, it also is inadmissable in court.  Statements from somebody who was not Mirandized is inadmissable in court, but it is not illegal to get them.

the woman's underwear thing is one of those cute bits people bring up when they want to justify the worst of what goes on at guantanamo and abu ghraib. that stuff with stress positions and waterboarding, the false executions, is right up there with the worst the vietcong ever did. but one time, someone at guantanamo, in the process of messing with people's heads until they soiled themselves and making like they were going to send electricity through their genitals until they cooked to death, at one point somebody put panties on somebody's head... and now the whole pro-mock execution crowd is going, look, we were just playing around with ladies' underwear!

it's very clever, but there are pictures of a similar bunch doing thumbs up over a bloodied, tortured corpse.

http://www.bush2004.com/images/abu_ghraib.jpg

must feel nice defending siht like this, yo. someone throw a pair of panties in there! maybe it'll be funny then!

y'all are ruining the country with this, man. straight up. trashing america.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 8:41 pm

the woman's underwear thing is one of those cute bits people bring up when they want to justify the worst of what goes on at guantanamo and abu ghraib. that stuff with stress positions and waterboarding, the false executions, is right up there with the worst the vietcong ever did. but one time, someone at guantanamo, in the process of messing with people's heads until they soiled themselves and making like they were going to send electricity through their genitals until they cooked to death, at one point somebody put panties on somebody's head... and now the whole pro-mock execution crowd is going, look, we were just playing around with ladies' underwear!

it's very clever, but there are pictures of a similar bunch doing thumbs up over a bloodied, tortured corpse.

http://www.bush2004.com/images/abu_ghraib.jpg

must feel nice defending siht like this, yo. someone throw a pair of panties in there! maybe it'll be funny then!

y'all are ruining the country with this, man. straight up. trashing america.

I don't know anyone who is defending what those soldiers did.  I'm a democrat, but even if I was a republican, I wouldn't defend it.  However, those soldiers do not represent the whole military anymore than the terrorists represent all of of Islam.  I think what happened at Abu Ghraib was reprehensible and I hope the solidiers responsible rot in jail for a good long time, but blaming Bush for it is far-reaching.  He didn't tell them to do it and I don't think he authorized it.  They did that of their own accord and they're nutjobs for doing it. 

Written By: Tia on 03/28/06 at 8:52 pm

I don't know anyone who is defending what those soldiers did.  I'm a democrat, but even if I was a republican, I wouldn't defend it.  However, those soldiers do not represent the whole military anymore than the terrorists represent all of of Islam.  I think what happened at Abu Ghraib was reprehensible and I hope the solidiers responsible rot in jail for a good long time, but blaming Bush for it is far-reaching.  He didn't tell them to do it and I don't think he authorized it.  They did that of their own accord and they're nutjobs for doing it. 
i dont think it represents the military but it obviously represents the administration. they washed their hands of the geneva conventions, and this is what they got.

it's prespammersite to think that don rumsfeld and the rest of them washed their hands of basically every international treaty regarding human rights -- and the record is clear on this, abu ghraib and guantanamo existed basically outside of every internationally recognized convention regarding the treatment of prisoners, the red cross were barely permitted to visit there! -- and yet we're supposed to believe these fckued up dudes got it in their minds to do it all on their own.

seriously, man. if you're pro-iraq invasion, welcome to your war. the picture i linked to is what it looks like. and we're all going to get more, and more, and more, without end.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 8:58 pm

i dont think it represents the military but it obviously represents the administration. they washed their hands of the geneva conventions, and this is what they got.

it's prespammersite to think that don rumsfeld and the rest of them washed their hands of basically every international treaty regarding human rights -- and the record is clear on this, abu ghraib and guantanamo existed basically outside of every internationally recognized convention regarding the treatment of prisoners, the red cross were barely permitted to visit there! -- and yet we're supposed to believe these fckued up dudes got it in their minds to do it all on their own.

seriously, man. if you're pro-iraq invasion, welcome to your war. the picture i linked to is what it looks like. and we're all going to get more, and more, and more, without end.

I don't believe that represents the administration.  For it to do so, you must believe that the administration told these soldiers to do what they did, and I just don't think that's the case.  I think this administration f*cked up this war and should be held accountable for it failing as bad as it did, but I don't think these atrocities were defended or endorsed by the presidency.

Now, I don't think that picture is an accurate representation of the war.  I know people who've served and I've asked them what it was like over there and I can assure that picture looks nothing like what they described.  That picture represents the worst of our military, not the common everyday solidier over there fighting for their country.  That picture represents the few who feel that because their Americans, they can treat the Iraqis and Afghanis however they please, and I don't think that every single military person over there feels that way. 

I'm not for this war in any way, and I was against it from the very start, but even I know when people take the anti-war movement too far.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/06 at 9:55 pm

I don't believe that represents the administration.  For it to do so, you must believe that the administration told these soldiers to do what they did, and I just don't think that's the case.  I think this administration f*cked up this war and should be held accountable for it failing as bad as it did, but I don't think these atrocities were defended or endorsed by the presidency.

Now, I don't think that picture is an accurate representation of the war.  I know people who've served and I've asked them what it was like over there and I can assure that picture looks nothing like what they described.  That picture represents the worst of our military, not the common everyday solidier over there fighting for their country.  That picture represents the few who feel that because their Americans, they can treat the Iraqis and Afghanis however they please, and I don't think that every single military person over there feels that way. 

I'm not for this war in any way, and I was against it from the very start, but even I know when people take the anti-war movement too far.
oh, c'mon, god lova ya but this war represents far far worse than what's in that picture. it's all about blowing the limbs off of grandfathers and little kids and then calling it "a regrettable loss of innocent life," and stacking people in mass graves and burning the homes of families to the ground. that's what war has always meant, and that's what it will always represent.

the questions is really what it got started for and what ideals it's being fought for. i personally think that in this instance it's being fought for an idealized view of war that's more or less starting to lose its luster in america. this country has been about fighting wars for the supposedly righteous reason of spreading democracy since vietnam at least, but when you peel the layers off the facade it always turns out to be the moneyed interests pulling the strings behind the scenes. it's not a coincidence that this president is basically a product of big oil and we're fighting a war in a big oil region of the world. and it's not a coincidence that the people in bush's administration are big in the weapons industry, and suddenly here we are in a war where there's no conceivable end and we're just pouring billions and billions into weapons contracts.

honestly, if you think these dudes care in the least about human rights, you got another think coming. they're gonna get as much war as they can get, for as long as they can get it, because that's what their system thrives on.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 10:34 pm

oh, c'mon, god lova ya but this war represents far far worse than what's in that picture. it's all about blowing the limbs off of grandfathers and little kids and then calling it "a regrettable loss of innocent life," and stacking people in mass graves and burning the homes of families to the ground. that's what war has always meant, and that's what it will always represent.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/06 at 11:06 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.
that's what they're counting on.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/06 at 11:31 pm

the questions is really what it got started for and what ideals it's being fought for.

If your main issue about Bush is the war, then you've got a beef with Kerry and all the other members of congress who voted for it.   Even thinking of impeaching the president for doing something that congress voted for is absolutely absurd.  If you don't like the system of congressional approval to prevent the president from having the sole responsibility and power over our country, then that's a whole different issue... because that is a big part of the concept of democracy.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/06 at 11:42 pm

If your main issue about Bush is the war, then you've got a beef with Kerry and all the other members of congress who voted for it.  Even thinking of impeaching the president for doing something that congress voted for is absolutely absurd.  If you don't like the system of congressional approval to prevent the president from having the sole responsibility and power over our country, then that's a whole different issue... because that is a big part of the concept of democracy.
i definitely agree with you that the "system" is a big part of the problem. but the system in question ain't democracy, not by a long shot.

Written By: Skippy on 03/29/06 at 2:40 am

So what if listening in to cell-phone conversations is legal, 'legal' does not make it right all the time. Hey, my PACT team and housing staff use cell phones all the time to call me, and some of the stuff we talk about, no one else has a right to know, why do you think HIPAA was enacted? Now I wanna know who the h*ll listens in whenever we chat or text-message using a cellular phone!

Well, with just a bit of readily available equipment, I can not only listen to your cell phone conversations, but I can also watch the feed from surveillance cams inside the house. Private investigators do it all the time, as well as businesses. The government listening in should be the least of your worries.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/29/06 at 10:04 am

Oh boy, it is always nice for a Veteran like myself to see what the civilians who we protect really think of us.

So is that all we are?  A bunch of thugs, no better then the Crips who terrorize Los Angeles?  You think we get enjoyment out of combat, out of the idea of killing another human being?  Do you think we go out of our way to shoot and kill innocent people just for kicks?

Apparently you do.  This is why I say that civilians do not understand the military.  And those on the extreme fringe of politics understand us the least.  The abhor us, and consider us little more then thugs with guns and uniforms.  We are simply the mindless automatons, who perform the terrorist tactics of the evil administration in power at the time.  Oh, that is unless they support the current administration.  In those instances, they want us remade into a kinder and more gentle social engineering project.  Somebody with IQ scores to low to tie his own shoes?  Put him in the military.  They have no brains anyways.

I talked to my Uncle a few weeks ago, and he says that the current situation is reminding him more and more of his experiences comming home from Vietnam.

But of course, I am a mindless thug, so of course everything looks the same to me.  Excuse me while I go out and plan my next baby-killing expedition.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/06 at 12:39 pm

Oh boy, it is always nice for a Veteran like myself to see what the civilians who we protect really think of us.

So is that all we are?  A bunch of thugs, no better then the Crips who terrorize Los Angeles?  You think we get enjoyment out of combat, out of the idea of killing another human being?  Do you think we go out of our way to shoot and kill innocent people just for kicks?

Apparently you do.  This is why I say that civilians do not understand the military.  And those on the extreme fringe of politics understand us the least.  The abhor us, and consider us little more then thugs with guns and uniforms.  We are simply the mindless automatons, who perform the terrorist tactics of the evil administration in power at the time.  Oh, that is unless they support the current administration.  In those instances, they want us remade into a kinder and more gentle social engineering project.  Somebody with IQ scores to low to tie his own shoes?  Put him in the military.  They have no brains anyways.

I talked to my Uncle a few weeks ago, and he says that the current situation is reminding him more and more of his experiences comming home from Vietnam.

But of course, I am a mindless thug, so of course everything looks the same to me.  Excuse me while I go out and plan my next baby-killing expedition.

Mucho karma for you, Mushroom.  Mucho karma. 

And thank you for serving our country.  You're a good man.  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/29/06 at 12:57 pm

And thank you for serving our country.  You're a good man.   :)

Thanks, but I did it because it was what I wanted to do.  Since I was 10 I wanted to be in the military.  And hopefully, I will be again soon.

I guess what often frustrates me is the "wars are bad unless" types of arguements.  Heck, you do not have to tell me that war is bad.  It is one of the most horrible things on Earth.  And nobody wants to avoid fighting like somebody in the military.  But sometimes, it is nessicary.

What gets to me is the polarity in reguards to the use of the military.  When President Clinton sends them into Somalia or Yugoslavia, it is good.  When President Clinton sends a bunch of cruise missles into Afganistan or Iraq, it is good.  But when President Bush Sr. sends them into Kuwait, it is bad.  Or when President Bush Jr. sends them into Afganistan or Iraq it is bad.

It amazes me even more when some of the same Congressmen that 4 years ago were screaming for blood are now saying that they were lied to.  Are we honestly supposed to believe that they are such innocent morons?  Or is it all political bluster?  I vote the latter.

And then when somebody who has no concept of what the military is or does tries to say we are all a bunch of mindless killers who revel in bloodshed and torture, it just turns my stomach.  Quite often they tend to be pampered children in adult bodies, who want to spend their lives in a fantasy world where mommie kisses all of their boo-boos better.  They can't concieve of the fact that there are people out there who want to kill them, and the military is one of the major things that keeps them away.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/29/06 at 2:25 pm

OK, point by point.

Lying to the public might be hard to prove but it is clear, as Paul Krugman pointed out in a June 24, 2003 op/ed piece called "Denial and Deception" that most of Bush's statements linking Saddam and Al Quida were designed to convey the wrong impression - to mislead the public and congress - while providing "plausible deniability" to the president.  If that doesn't amount to willingly and knowing lying, what does?

The Bush authorized NSA program is a clear violation of the FISA act, which is A LAW requiring WARRENTS issued by the FISA court within 72 hours of a wire tap.  Mushroom has argued that wire tapping is so easy anybody can do it.  Not relevant.  THE LAW prevents THE GOVERNMENT from doing it without a warrent.  You can look at your husband's or kids' e-mails and hard drives without a warrent without breaking any law doing so.  It might not be nice or ethical, but is is not illegal FOR YOU.  It would be illegal for an agent of the state to do so without a warrent, issued by a judge based on probable cause.

Detaining foreigners without charges as enemy combatants might be boarderline legal IF YOU CATCH THEM combatting, but to mearly have someone picked up off the street is both illegal and a clear violation of human rights - its what Pinochet and his secret police (the DINA) did.  The rights of non citizens are now being concidered by the Supreme Court, but at least one US CITIZEN was so detained in clear violation of his Constitution rights.  I refer of course to Jose Padilla against who all terrorist charges have been dropped.

The Bush policy on torture was authored by Alberto Gonzales our ATTORNY GENERAL which basically said that the Geneva Conventions, which we not only signed, but in fact helped author after WWII, and which therefore carry the force of law, are crap.  Bush also claims the right to violate the McCain/Finegold anti-torture resolution passed by Congress, which he himself signed.  And the torture was not only confined to Abu Gahrib (?).  Torturous interigation techniques have also been used at Guantanamo.  The fish stinks from the head down.

First amendment violations include survailance of, and maintaining records on protesters.  Our Sen. Senator, Pat Lahey, discovered that here in Vermont a group of Quakers were infiltrated by gov't. agents and included in a Pentagon data base as potential terrorists.  Numerous courts, including I think the Supremes, have held that this kind of survailance has a CHILLING EFFECT   on free speech, assembly, and the press, and is therefore illegal.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the duties of the president is to "See that the laws are faithfully executed".  Warrentless wiretapping is prohibited to government officials, detaining people without due process is prohibited whether or not they are citizens, torture is illegal both under US statutes and international treaties/conventions, monitoring and classifying citizens based on their excersise of their first amendment rights has been found to be illegal. 

Bush has caused all of this to be done, and therefore has violated both the law and his responsibility to enforce the law.  If all this doesnt rise to the level of "high crimes and misdomeanors" than nothing does. 

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/06 at 6:45 pm

OK, point by point.

Lying to the public might be hard to prove but it is clear, as Paul Krugman pointed out in a June 24, 2003 op/ed piece called "Denial and Deception" that most of Bush's statements linking Saddam and Al Quida were designed to convey the wrong impression - to mislead the public and congress - while providing "plausible deniability" to the president.  If that doesn't amount to willingly and knowing lying, what does?

I'm sure tons of people have written pieces/articles and given interviews that claimed Bush was lying.  IF there weren't weapons transported to Syria during the time that Saddam refused inspections, prior to suddenly deciding it was ok for the inspectors to come in, I still don't see any compelling evidence that he was lying as opposed to having received bad intelligence.  I don't think Bush's statements alone would have convinced ANYONE to vote for war.  I am sure that each and every congressperson who voted looked at intelligence themselves, and made their own judgments based on it.  Tony Blair admitted to providing some of this intelligence, so we do have some evidence that Bush was given intelligence that led him to believe Saddam had WMD.  I don't see evidence that Bush never believed there were weapons.  Was there actual evidence of his not having WMD intelligence in this piece that you speak of, or was it just an opinion??

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 8:43 pm

Save it, dude.  Just save it. My uncle is a veteran of the military(ex-airborne ranger and D.I.) who served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam war, and he isn't blinded to what the military does.  He has told me before himself, that if you want to explain it the job of the military on the most practical level, its "to kill peole and tear **** up"(his words, not mine).  Don't try to use your status as a Veteran to deflect criticism of the military, that is really phony and IMO THAT is true disrespect of the military. >:( >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 8:55 pm

Save it, dude.  Just save it. My uncle is a veteran of the military(ex-airborne ranger and D.I.) who served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam war, and he isn't blinded to what the military does.  He has told me before himself, that if you want to explain it the job of the military on the most practical level, its "to kill peole and tear **** up"(his words, not mine).  Don't try to use your status as a Veteran to deflect criticism of the military, that is really phony and IMO THAT is true disrespect of the military. >:( >:(

I don't think Mushroom ever denied that the purpose of the military is to destroy our enemies.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 9:22 pm

It shouldn't happen, but innocents are always killed in war.  Operation Pheonix, anyone? Thats what I was getting at.  I got the impression Mushroom is saying the U.S. doesn't kill civilians.

Written By: La Roche on 03/29/06 at 11:08 pm

Has it ever occured to you..

That Your Uncle has his opinions on things, same way I do and you do  ???

It's just possible.. that sometimes.. he say's things he thinks.. as opposed to the 100% guarenteed bang to rights fact?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 11:23 pm

Has it ever occured to you..

That Your Uncle has his opinions on things, same way I do and you do  ???

It's just possible.. that sometimes.. he say's things he thinks.. as opposed to the 100% guarenteed bang to rights fact?

You and I don't have a 156 IQ.  Or do you? lol ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/06 at 11:25 pm

Are you saying his opinion is more valued because he has a near-genius IQ?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 11:36 pm

It shouldn't happen, but innocents are always killed in war.  Operation Pheonix, anyone? Thats what I was getting at.  I got the impression Mushroom is saying the U.S. doesn't kill civilians.

Mushroom definitely said that war is terrible.  I'm sure he understands that civilian casualties are unavoidable.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 11:38 pm

By the way, it's "censure".  I think you shouldn't censor Bush because what comes out of his mouth most of the time makes me laugh :D

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/30/06 at 12:00 am

I've gotta admit, I'll kinda miss Commander Coo Coo Bananahead when hes out of office.  He's funny to have around, in a way.

Less then three years left of fart jokes, bloopers, and boners! :D

Written By: La Roche on 03/30/06 at 12:25 am

Pay's to do your research eh'.

I'm gonna look for my file with all my diplomas and such in it, that has a certificate in there with it.
I had one of the highest IQ's in my High School (funny how it didn't transfer to great grades)  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/30/06 at 1:06 pm

I'm sure tons of people have written pieces/articles and given interviews that claimed Bush was lying.  IF there weren't weapons transported to Syria during the time that Saddam refused inspections, prior to suddenly deciding it was ok for the inspectors to come in, I still don't see any compelling evidence that he was lying as opposed to having received bad intelligence.  I don't think Bush's statements alone would have convinced ANYONE to vote for war.  I am sure that each and every congressperson who voted looked at intelligence themselves, and made their own judgments based on it.  Tony Blair admitted to providing some of this intelligence, so we do have some evidence that Bush was given intelligence that led him to believe Saddam had WMD.  I don't see evidence that Bush never believed there were weapons.  Was there actual evidence of his not having WMD intelligence in this piece that you speak of, or was it just an opinion??

Krugman's piece was an analysis of a speech posted on Bush's web site.  There is also the issue of lying re the cost of the perscription drug plan, the true cost of which was intentionally withheld from congress.

But ok, skip the lying.  the rest is certainly grounds for impeachment.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/31/06 at 8:17 pm

Krugman's piece was an analysis of a speech posted on Bush's web site.  There is also the issue of lying re the cost of the perscription drug plan, the true cost of which was intentionally withheld from congress.

But ok, skip the lying.  the rest is certainly grounds for impeachment.
Bush is just as evil as Nixon was. Both could not tell the truth if their lives depended on it...and IMO Medicare Part D is really not the answer as a prescription drug plan, it has a lot of people, including some people I know, really up s*it's creek sans a paddle..because of all the different Part D plans out there! And some don't even pay for certain medicines that are 'OTC' even if it comes in a prescription strength that a doctor prescribes!

Written By: Tia on 03/31/06 at 9:21 pm

so as usual you for some reason attached something i said to this, even though this had nothing to do with what i said? exactly where did i say anything about "mindless thugs"? when did i say anything about mindless automatons? social engineering? vietnam?

i'm befuddled. if you're going to quote me you should have your reply have something to do with what you quoted. you always do that, quote me and then launch off on replying to some other unrelated thing that i have no idea where it came from.

anyway, what i said is that war is about killing innocent people, and i stand by it. it's war's most salient characteristic. it is now, it was before, and it probably always will be. that's why it should be engaged in as a last resort, not on an idle whim as the current administration seems to have done.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/06 at 10:21 pm

so as usual you for some reason attached something i said to this, even though this had nothing to do with what i said? exactly where did i say anything about "mindless thugs"? when did i say anything about mindless automatons? social engineering? vietnam?

OK, then who are doing all these atrocities that you are talking about?  Is Bush-Cheny-Rice-Rumsfeld going over there and doing all of it?

If there are atrocities going on, them obviously it is being done by the members of the military.  You said it yourself, " it's all about blowing the limbs off of grandfathers and little kids and then calling it "a regrettable loss of innocent life."

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 10:29 pm

OK, then who are doing all these atrocities that you are talking about?  Is Bush-Cheny-Rice-Rumsfeld going over there and doing all of it?

If there are atrocities going on, them obviously it is being done by the members of the military.  You said it yourself, " it's all about blowing the limbs off of grandfathers and little kids and then calling it "a regrettable loss of innocent life."

And do you doubt they would?  Operation Pheonix, Operation Rolling Thunder.. do those sound familiar?

Written By: Tia on 03/31/06 at 11:44 pm

30,000 innocent dead in iraq. that number isn't contested, and it's probably very conservative. that's what that is -- thirty thousand grandfathers and little kids with arms and legs blown off, corpses stacked like cordwood. if you contest these statistics, i'd love to hear it, but aside from that you can attribute the guilt for this "atrocity" -- you used the word first, i think, but yeah, it's perfectly apt -- wherever you like. i mean, that's part of the problem, yes? confronted with something like this, 30,000 innocent dead, the first thing you think is not, "well, jesus, that's awful, how do we make it stop," but rather, "hey, it's not MY fault." you know what i mean? there's a willingness to turn away from the cost of this war, or to shrug off all the civilian deaths, among war supporters that's always made me rather uncomfortable.

in point of fact, it's a cliche that people in the military are usually the last to want to go to war because they're aware of this cost more than the civilian leadership. i think that's not true in every case, but it's plainly true in a lot. everything i've read about the advice of the generals was, don't get involved with this thing unless you're willing to use the amount of force needed to get it over with quickly and avoid unnecessary loss of life. somewhere in the civilian leadership this advice got ignored and now this war is just an ongoing bloodletting.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/01/06 at 6:50 pm

I don't think George W. Bush would join any of our armed forces and fight in ANY wars, even if he could go sign up.....That's why he sees no problem sending our soldiers to fight and die in Iraq, it's not his a$$ that could get shot or killed! "Send the commoners over, I'm a Bush, therefore I'm better than everyone else! Let the little guy do it!"

I say impeach him!  >:(

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/03/06 at 9:00 am

Bush is just as evil as Nixon was. Both could not tell the truth if their lives depended on it...and IMO Medicare Part D is really not the answer as a prescription drug plan, it has a lot of people, including some people I know, really up s*it's creek sans a paddle..because of all the different Part D plans out there! And some don't even pay for certain medicines that are 'OTC' even if it comes in a prescription strength that a doctor prescribes!

Yes,  Part D is a boondoggle for insurance companies and nothing else.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/03/06 at 9:03 am

I don't think George W. Bush would join any of our armed forces and fight in ANY wars, even if he could go sign up.....That's why he sees no problem sending our soldiers to fight and die in Iraq, it's not his a$$ that could get shot or killed! "Send the commoners over, I'm a Bush, therefore I'm better than everyone else! Let the little guy do it!"

I say impeach him!  >:(

Of course he wouldn't fight a war, we know his daddy got him out of nam and he didn't even complete the guard he signed up for, he was too busy getting DUIs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 8:19 pm

Pay's to do your research eh'.

I'm gonna look for my file with all my diplomas and such in it, that has a certificate in there with it.
I had one of the highest IQ's in my High School (funny how it didn't transfer to great grades)  ;D

How many times do I have to say it? YOUR IQ SCORE IS NOT THE SUM TOTAL OF YOUR TRUE INTELLIGENCE AND CAPABILITIES AS A HUMAN BEING! The IQ test is only one of a battery of psychological tests given by a psychometrist to determine a person's overall mental health and intellectual aptitude. When societies use the IQ score alone to pigeonhole people they end up with all sorts of bogus prejudice and eugenicist tendancies.  You cannot administer the IQ test en mass like it was the SAT and conclude Bill is smarter than Jane because his IQ is 135 and her IQ is 125. That's silly.
::)

Written By: Tia on 03/01/08 at 9:48 am

get this.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8385103

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/08 at 4:03 pm

get this.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8385103

Yes, this is where we've ended up after 27 years of right-wing acculturation.
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/03/08 at 12:44 am

I said 'no' because many presidents do a lot of crap that they regret.

James Madison-He declared War against a powerful nation, the U.K. without a good army. (At that time, many Revolutionaries were dead or too old to fight.)

Whig Presidents-The 9th, 10th, 12th, and 13th Presidents all had conflicts and problems. The only president at that time which was worth something was James Knox Plok.

Peirce and Buchanan-They both didn't resolve anything and the Southern States seperated from America.

Andrew Johnson-First President to be on trial for Impeachment.

Ulysses Grant-They only voted for him because he was a General.

Grover Cleveland-Was President during a Depression.

Woodrow Wilson-Never resolved World War I, that's why we were in World War II.

Warren Harding-His men were part of the Teapot Dome Scandal which was the worst scandal at its time.

Herbert Hoover-I give him some credit since he didn't cause the Depression, but because of him that's why we have the Approval Rating.

LBJ-He really didn't care about people, He's a Democratic Dubya.

Richard Nixon-He's the reason why the Republican Party is in ruins. Watergate, opening up trade in China, ending bonds, the list goes on.

Jimmy Carter-He didn't resolve the Iranian conflict nor the Middle-East Peace Talks.

Ronald Reagan-During his reign, we had recessions and the Iran-Contra.

Bill Clinton-He signed the NAFTA bill....And Hellary is denying it?!

GWB-If I lived on the coast rather than the Midwest or in a Liberal state, I wouldn't say "Impeach Bush", I would say "CRUCIFY BUSH"! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif "CRUCIFY CHENEY"!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif "CRUCIFY HIS FAMILY"!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif "CRUCIFY RICE"!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif AND "CRUCIFY HIS CRONIES"!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif

And did you know you have two 'I dont care's up there?

Written By: Davester on 03/03/08 at 1:08 am

I don't believe in evil, but I do believe that stupid is as stupid does.  When it comes to representative democracies that take foolish risks with their liberties, "stupid is as stupid does" applies equally from top to bottom.  If stupidity in leadership, that is strategic and Constitutional incompetence, can reach a point of criminality, so can the stupidity of an "educated" and "free" public.  If the two stupidities coincide, it's a very bad turn of luck...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/08 at 8:41 pm

Evil?  Bush does not give a tinker's cuss about me, my family, my friends, my neighbors, my town, my state, my country, the other countries in the world; he just cares about making the disgustingly rich obscenely rich.  Doesn't matter if you call it evil or not, it is what it is! 

OK, they love him in Africa and Sir Bob Geldoff says Dubya's a wonderful guy for that, so let Dubya go be president of Liberia (the Bush family are African dictator types after all) with Sir Bob as his fawning undersecretary of delusional has-beens!
:D

Written By: Davester on 03/04/08 at 3:04 am

Evil?  Bush does not give a tinker's cuss about me, my family, my friends, my neighbors, my town, my state, my country, the other countries in the world; he just cares about making the disgustingly rich obscenely rich.  Doesn't matter if you call it evil or not, it is what it is! 

OK, they love him in Africa and Sir Bob Geldoff says Dubya's a wonderful guy for that, so let Dubya go be president of Liberia (the Bush family are African dictator types after all) with Sir Bob as his fawning undersecretary of delusional has-beens!
:D

Actually they love him in Japan, too.  He and David Hasselhoff are touring there next year...

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/04/08 at 12:31 pm

Actually they love him in Japan, too.  He and David Hasselhoff are touring there next year...

Bush will possibly be touring around the world next year. And he'll he touring with his father and Clinton a lot as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...