» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Half a million take to the streets....

Written By: STAR70 on 03/25/06 at 6:08 pm

http://www.latimes.com/media/alternatethumbnails/photo/2006-03/22614192.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest26mar26,0,3771225.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Subject: Re: Half a million take to the streets....

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 6:24 pm

Wow.  That was swift.

I wonder as the backlash against illegal immigration strengthens, if we are going to see more of this type of thing.  I hope it doesn't cause civil unrest in the Southwest.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 6:27 pm

Hundresds of L.A.-area High School students also staged walkouts.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest25mar25,0,3312471.story?coll=la-headlines-california

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/25/06 at 10:37 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest26mar26,0,3771225.story?coll=la-home-headlines

A few thoughts:

1. Why instantly use the highest estimate?  It doesn't matter if it was 10 people, 200,000, 500,000, 1,000,000 or all 12 million of the estimated illegal immigrants in this country, we have a rule of law, not mob rule.

2. People serving in elected office are not swayed by those who cannot vote.

3. The silent majority is on the side of border security, no amnesty and no services for illegal immigrants.  Poll after poll shows this, also see California's prop. 187 or Arizona's prop. 200.

4. No immigration legislation will pass, regardless of whichever side whines and protests.  The senate is simply too liberal on immigration and the house of representatives too conservative.  In December of 2005 the house of representatives passed a tough bill that will never pass the senate as is, and the house of representatives will never pass a senate bill which will probably include an amnesty.  We're in almost certainly going to maintain the status quo.

5. It almost doesn't matter to me what the quisling federal government does, my state just passed tough immigration laws.  The Georgia state house and the Georgia state senate passed a bill that will punish people who hire illegals severly, deny healthcare and social services/welfare to illegals and tax illegal immigrant's wire transfers (which is how illegals send money back to their family/freinds in their country.)  The bill has too be voted on one last time in the state senate (on the changes the state house made, charging a 5% tax on wire transfers for people who cannot prove citizenship) but it's already done that easily once, so it's a done-deal.

6. While not all illegal immigrants are hispanic (case in point the march in New York City on St. Patricks' day this year where about 50,000 people were holding signs that read 'legalize the Irish') there are plenty of hispanics (all legal) that are strongly opposed to illegal immigration.  They see illegal immigrants walking across the border or over-staying their visa and aren't too pleased after they went through all the effort to do it right.  See legal Mexican immigrant.  This is also the man who sued businesses that hired illegals under RICO statutes, is on an advisory board that seeks to make English the official language of the United States and said: "my people - as I'm often accused of turning my back on them - my people are American. I've got an American flag hanging in my office, not the Mexican chicken-and-worm or whatever it is..."  Read the columns he has written on immigration here.

6. I'm still convinced a certain somebody is a member of La Raza.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 10:41 pm

GWB, did you read the whole article?  Not all of the people there were even immigrants.  And of the immigrants there, there were both illegals and legals.

And who do you think is a member of La Raza?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/25/06 at 10:59 pm

I think with the huge discontent over illegal immigration, that legislation is still going to get passed.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/25/06 at 11:01 pm

What are they complaining about, they are here illegally. What right do they think they have to stay?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:11 pm

What are they complaining about, they are here illegally. What right do they think they have to stay?

Well, some of them have raised families here.  And a lot of European immigrants in the 1800s were undocumented.  Do you know where the term "wop" comes from?  Without papers.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:13 pm

And after going to High School with someone whose parents came here illegally, I can say that guy was as American as anyone I know.  Having actually known "illegals" its hard for me to say they should just all be booted out, no exceptions.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/25/06 at 11:17 pm

GWB, did you read the whole article?  Not all of the people there were even immigrants.  And of the immigrants there, there were both illegals and legals.

And who do you think is a member of La Raza?

I read it.  There were both legal and illegal, and no-doubt if you took the illegal ones out, the numbers would be a lot less impressive.  And I can't say the name specifically, that is probably against the rules.

I think with the huge discontent over illegal immigration, that legislation is still going to get passed.

We'll see.  But my thinking is it's an election year and the republicans need to pander to the business community and the democrats need to pander to the hispanic community.  Plus the house of representatives and the senate are just too different on this issue.

It's a hoot, isn't it?  I wonder what would happen if I went to Mexico, Ireland, Brazil or any of these other countries where we have a lot of illegals from and demanded that they pay for my child's education, pay for healthcare with taxpayer dollars and in countries like Mexico, speak English.  They'd laugh before they deported me.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/25/06 at 11:23 pm

Having actually known "illegals" its hard for me to say they should just all be booted out, no exceptions.

Hardly anyone says that, it's unrealistic.  But it's not to build a fence along the US-Mexico border and add more border patrol agents to both borders, like the bill that passed the house in December of 2005 does.

Secure the borders fully, and then we'll talk about a "guest worker plan."  They are seperate issues and should be debated in seperate bills.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/25/06 at 11:27 pm

And after going to High School with someone whose parents came here illegally, I can say that guy was as American as anyone I know.  Having actually known "illegals" its hard for me to say they should just all be booted out, no exceptions.

No they shouldn't all just be booted out, but I do think the government needs to do a better job at controling the amount of them that are getting in. How much use is this new legislation though if they aren't even enforcing the current legislation?

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/06 at 11:30 pm

It's a hoot, isn't it?  I wonder what would happen if I went to Mexico, Ireland, Brazil or any of these other countries where we have a lot of illegals from and demanded that they pay for my child's education, pay for healthcare with taxpayer dollars and in countries like Mexico, speak English.  They'd laugh before they deported me.

EXACTLY!

Why should my tax dollars go to making sure that Juan can go to school?
I'm gonna clarify my point on this clearly for anybody who might be wondering..

"I DON'T GIVE A SHIIT HOW BAD YOUR COUNTRY WAS, MAKE IT BETTER, DON'T MAKE OURS WORSE!"

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:34 pm

EXACTLY!

Why should my tax dollars go to making sure that Juan can go to school?
I'm gonna clarify my point on this clearly for anybody who might be wondering..

"I DON'T GIVE A SHIIT HOW BAD YOUR COUNTRY WAS, MAKE IT BETTER, DON'T MAKE OURS WORSE!"

Yeah, but this country was made great by people coming here from countries that were at the time at least- crappy. That includes Irish, Italian etc.  MANY of which were undocumented. Wop=without papers.

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/06 at 11:34 pm

Yeah, but this country was made great by people coming here from countries that were at the time at least- crappy. That includes Irish, Italian etc.  MANY of which were undocumented. Wop=without papers.

That's all well and good, this country was also founded by Slave Owners.. can I own a slave?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:37 pm

That's all well and good, this country was also founded by Slave Owners.. can I own a slave?

I don't think that's a valid comparison.

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/06 at 11:40 pm

I don't think that's a valid comparison.

That's why I used it. I didn't think yours was a valid comparison. There were millions of immigrants to the United States when it was still a young country in the midst of the largest known expansion in modern history, this is no longer the case.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:43 pm

That's why I used it. I didn't think yours was a valid comparison. There were millions of immigrants to the United States when it was still a young country in the midst of the largest known expansion in modern history, this is no longer the case.

Why shouldn't there be a second expansion?  Western European immigrants have long since settled in to America.  Why is it a bad thing to add Latin American and Asian culture into the tapestry of America which already has European(English, Irish, German, Italian..), African and Native American influences?  I don't think the new immigration is all bad at all.

Besides birth rates are declining among native non-Hispanic whites.  I think taking in these new immigrants over the last few decades will actually give America more longevity in the long run; we won't age as fast.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/25/06 at 11:44 pm

And people wonder why I am glad to be out of LA.

Personally, I could not give a damn about illegal aliens.  We have had so damned many "amnesty" programs over the last 3 decades, I see absolutely no reason why anybody should be here illegally.

I say either get yourself legal status, or get out.  Plain and simple.

And like GW said, they are not citizens.  In fact, the US gives non-citizens (and even non-residents) more "rights" then most other countries in the world.

If they do not like how things are run here, go home.

Or if they want, they can go through the legal process, and become citizens.  That way, they will have every legal right that I do, and every other US Citizen (other then run for President).

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/06 at 11:47 pm

Why shouldn't there be a second expansion?  Western European immigrants have long since settled in to America.  Why is it a bad thing to add Latin American and Asian culture into the tapestry of America which already has European(English, Irish, German, Italian..), African and Native American influences?  I don't think the new immigration is all bad at all.

Besides birth rates are declining among native non-Hispanic whites.  I think taking in these new immigrants over the last few decades will actually give America more longevity in the long run; we won't age as fast.

You obviously didn't read what I said.

During the mass immigration periods America was going through huge growth spurts (so to put it).
America isn't now.

There were thousands of new jobs being created, vast quantities of resources. The asian immigration to the west coast was a enormous blessing due to the need for workers. Now this isn't the case.
Sure Juan can find a job flipping burgers or something, but there is somebody else equally qualified in the ranks of the unemployed that could be doing that job.

The whole "these immigrants are taking away jobs" thing dosen't apply to the people that are saying it. Well educated middle class folk, those jobs aren't under threat. However, some fella living downtown who works at jack in the box, you're damn right his job is under threat. Give it to him before some immigrant.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/25/06 at 11:49 pm

The problem is that the SW US states (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, California) are already drowning under a wave of illegal immigration.  In fact, several years ago the demographics in California shifted, and being Caucasin is now a minority.

California over the last 20 years has fallen into the hands of special interest groups, and it is most often a case of "Mob Rule" then democracy.  And to be honest, protests like this are held all the freaking time.  One of the reasons I left is that I got sick and tired of being caught in the "Protest March Of The Week".

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:54 pm

I say either get yourself legal status, or get out.  Plain and simple.

That's ridiculous to think you can expect people who have been here for years or perhaps even decades and who have raised kids here to just go back. These kids are just as American as anyone else's.  To expect them to go to their parents' country now is unreasonable.

Yes, they should get legal status.  Through amnesty.  We're never going to get them out, I guarantee.  What we need to do is give amnesty for the ones here and do what we should have been doing all along to keep illegal immigration down in the future. 

During the mass immigration periods America was going through huge growth spurts (so to put it).
America isn't now.

There were thousands of new jobs being created, vast quantities of resources. The asian immigration to the west coast was a enormous blessing due to the need for workers. Now this isn't the case.
Sure Juan can find a job flipping burgers or something, but there is somebody else equally qualified in the ranks of the unemployed that could be doing that job.

The whole "these immigrants are taking away jobs" thing dosen't apply to the people that are saying it. Well educated middle class folk, those jobs aren't under threat. However, some fella living downtown who works at jack in the box, you're damn right his job is under threat. Give it to him before some immigrant.

I'm not pro-illegal immigration, but I'm most definitely pro-legal immigration.  I think those types of jobs should definitely be given to immigrant.  We don't need to be encouraging native born Americans to take these kind of jobs do we?  I thought we already had a problem in this country with our workforce falling behind educationally.  We should be encouraging them to move further up the ladder.

The problem is that the SW US states (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, California) are already drowning under a wave of illegal immigration.  In fact, several years ago the demographics in California shifted, and being Caucasin is now a minority.

California over the last 20 years has fallen into the hands of special interest groups, and it is most often a case of "Mob Rule" then democracy.  And to be honest, protests like this are held all the freaking time.  One of the reasons I left is that I got sick and tired of being caught in the "Protest March Of The Week".

I've lived in Texas my entire life.  That includes South Houston, btw(one of the heaviest Hispanic areas in the country besides East L.A.).  I hardly think Texas is "Drowning" under illegal immigration.  And you seem to imply Caucasians becoming a minority is inherently bad.  Why?  I felt very comfortable living in South Houston.  I went to high school with a lot of Hispanic people, my step sister is Hispanic, and so is my older brother's wife and in-laws.  I don't see why other white people are so uncomfortable. 

And it's not just the economic aspect.  Some people won't admit it, but what bothers them more than anything is just the cultural aspect. And that is xenophobia, IMO.  That's one thing I love about my speaking Spanish, it p!sses these people off so badly.

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/06 at 11:57 pm

I thought we already had a problem in this country with our workforce falling behind educationally.  We should be encouraging them to move further up the ladder.

By taking away their income.. smart.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:00 am

By taking away their income.. smart.

Or how about making it easier to go to college?  Don't let Bush's rhetoric fool you either.  I saw a special about hard it is to actually get a scholarship. 

I think we could also encourage more people to go to trade schools.  Lots of great ways to make living without necessarily getting a degree, but counselors seem to want to drive it into kid's heads that they have to get a degree, period.

Written By: La Roche on 03/26/06 at 12:03 am

Or how about making it easier to go to college?  Don't let Bush's rhetoric fool you either.  I saw a special about hard it is to actually get a scholarship. 

The whole point of a college education is to limit who can get them, the whole idea is that it narrows the playing field.. sooo everyone has their degree, then you need a Phd to flip burgers  ???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/06 at 12:04 am

Personally, I could not give a damn about illegal aliens.  We have had so damned many "amnesty" programs over the last 3 decades, I see absolutely no reason why anybody should be here illegally.

This is what I've always thought.  America had an amnesty in the 1960's after we were told our system was broken.  Fast forward about twenty years.  In 1986 we had another amnesty because we were told our system and borders were broke.  Fast forward again twenty years.  McCain, Kennedy, Kolbe, Graham, Brownback and a few others, and to some extent Bush, are telling us our system is broke and we need a "guest worker plan," which a fancy term for amnesty.  Why should I believe it will be any different this time around?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

The problem is with an amnesty, teeth must be applied.  Not some lame fee, but real teeth to those who break our laws after the amnesty.  That is why the others failed, the laws written along with them that were the teeth weren't enforced.  Again, why would this time it be any different?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:07 am

This is what I've always thought.  America had an amnesty in the 1960's after we were told our system was broken.  Fast forward about twenty years.  In 1986 we had another amnesty because we were told our system and borders were broke.  Fast forward again twenty years.  McCain, Kennedy, Kolbe, Graham, Brownback and a few others, and to some extent Bush, are telling us our system is broke and we need a "guest worker plan," which a fancy term for amnesty.  Why should I believe it will be any different this time around?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

The problem is with an amnesty, teeth must be applied.  Not some lame fee, but real teeth to those who break our laws after the amnesty.  That is why the others failed, the laws written along with them that were the teeth weren't enforced.  Again, why would this time it be any different?

Well, sadly GWB, there is no proof it won't.  But it's still not realistic or even right to kick all 12 million out.  I don't think there's much choice but to try it again.  It just has to have "teeth" this time, as you said.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/26/06 at 12:14 am

That's ridiculous to think you can expect people who have been here for years or perhaps even decades and who have raised kids here to just go back. These kids are just as American as anyone else's.  To expect them to go to their parents' country now is unreasonable.

Notice, I said "Get legal or get out".  I have no use for people that will not make a commitment.  Either you choose to take a full and legal part in the "American Life", or you choose not to.  If you choose not to, the exit is right over there  ---->

I don't see why other white people are so uncomfortable. 

And it's not just the economic aspect.  Some people won't admit it, but what bothers them more than anything is just the cultural aspect. And that is xenophobia, IMO.  That's one thing I love about my speaking Spanish, it p!sses these people off so badly.

And trust me, I am far from paranoid.  And I am not uncomfortable.  I simply have no use for people who spend years in this country, knowingly illegal.  No more then I have for any other form of criminal.

Now I have a question, how many in here that are going on and on about how we need to loosen border restrictions and immigration laws are also saying in another forum that we should Impeach the President?  I know that I am seeing some familiar faces.  And some of the accusations there is that "He is not doing enough to keep the borders safe".

OK, so we either tighten up the borders and throw out all illegal aliens, or we just open them up, run constant amnesty programs, and don't worry about it.

People, you can't have it both ways.  If anybody in here is saying that the US is being to hard on them, then you really have no right to be saying that we are not doing enough to tighten the borders.  That is plain hypocritical.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:20 am

Don't get me wrong- because I support amnesty does not mean I think we should leave our borders unprotected.  I am pro immigration, but it should be legal.  We need to bring the illegal ones here into the fold of things, and do what we need to to keep more out.  Legal immigration should continue and be encouraged though IMO.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:21 am

And I didn't necessarily mean you or anything with the "uncomfortable culturally" thing, Mushroom.  I don't think you're that way.  But there really are a lot who feel that way, IMO..

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/06 at 12:23 am

But it's still not realistic or even right to kick all 12 million out.  I don't think there's much choice but to try it again.  It just has to have "teeth" this time, as you said.

See, we can agree (at least somewhat.)  I've already said it's not realistic to deport an estimated twelve million illegals, but I don't think a blanket amnesty is right either.

How about this, we start a program in which illegals go back to there homeland and file for a green card? And there they are not put in the front of the line.  This is detailed in the Cornyn-Kyl immigration bill.  This establishes a better kind of guest worker plan, and after a set number of years, illegals must go home and stay or re-apply.  Also we build a fence and expand the number of border patrol agents and detention centers and end the "catch-and-release" policy.  That is detailed in the Tancredo immigration bill, which also establishes a smaller guest worker plan.

I'd like a combination of the Tancredo bill, the Cornyn-Kyl bill and the Frist bill (which expands the number of immigrants we allow in legally.)  The McCain-Kennedy bill is a scam though, and I hope the house of representatives put it too rest, fast.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/06 at 12:23 am

I have no problem with immigration.  I feel that anyone who wants to come to our country to seek a better life should be able to.  However, I have a serious problem with illegal immigration.  I look at it like this; would you go into someone's home without having been invited?  The answer is no, you wouldn't.  Therefore, if you want to come to this country, do so the way tens of millions have before you:  Legally.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/26/06 at 12:29 am

I have no problem with immigration.  I feel that anyone who wants to come to our country to seek a better life should be able to.  However, I have a serious problem with illegal immigration.  I look at it like this; would you go into someone's home without having been invited?  The answer is no, you wouldn't.  Therefore, if you want to come to this country, do so the way tens of millions have before you:  Legally.

Actually, "Illegal Immigration" has become the modern version of "Squatters Rights".

100+ years ago, somebody could take over your land, if you did not protest that they were taking it over.  It was called "Squatting".  This was normally a problem of rich land-ownsers though, so nobody really cared.  Even George Washington lost hundreds of acres to squatters.

Today, the same concept is used for "Illegal Alien Rights".  Myself, I never understood the concept of somebody who was illegal having rights.  It is kinda like the rights a bank robber has.  They have the right to surrender to the police, and they have the right to remain silent.  If they break these, then they can be shot, or convicted because of their own big mouths.  I never shed any tears when either of those 2 outcomes happened.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:31 am

See, we can agree (at least somewhat.)  I've already said it's not realistic to deport an estimated twelve million illegals, but I don't think a blanket amnesty is right either.

How about this, we start a program in which illegals go back to there homeland and file for a green card? And there they are not put in the front of the line.  This is detailed in the Cornyn-Kyl immigration bill.  This establishes a better kind of guest worker plan, and after a set number of years, illegals must go home and stay or re-apply.  Also we build a fence and expand the number of border patrol agents and detention centers and end the "catch-and-release" policy.  That is detailed in the Tancredo immigration bill, which also establishes a smaller guest worker plan.

I'd like a combination of the Tancredo bill, the Cornyn-Kyl bill and the Frist bill (which expands the number of immigrants we allow in legally.)  The McCain-Kennedy bill is a scam though, and I hope the house of representatives put it too rest, fast.

I think I can support that, unless ending the catch and release policy means sending people to prison for years.  Our prisons are crowded anyway.. There has to be an alternative in that regard.

Actually, "Illegal Immigration" has become the modern version of "Squatters Rights".

100+ years ago, somebody could take over your land, if you did not protest that they were taking it over.  It was called "Squatting".  This was normally a problem of rich land-ownsers though, so nobody really cared.  Even George Washington lost hundreds of acres to squatters.

Today, the same concept is used for "Illegal Alien Rights".  Myself, I never understood the concept of somebody who was illegal having rights.  It is kinda like the rights a bank robber has.  They have the right to surrender to the police, and they have the right to remain silent.  If they break these, then they can be shot, or convicted because of their own big mouths.  I never shed any tears when either of those 2 outcomes happened.

Heh, my old man just got out of the joint in February for Bank Robbery.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 12:32 am

I agree if you want to come here you should do it illegally, not just sneak across the border. There's nothing wrong with immigration, but if you want to come here do it the legal way.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:37 am

I agree if you want to come here you should do it illegally, not just sneak across the border. There's nothing wrong with immigration, but if you want to come here do it the legal way.

Illegal immigration isn't "right", but,  right and wrong is subjective.  If you're a young Mexican, and you know you have the oppurtunity for a better life, who's to say you wouldn't take it?  No matter the risk.  Legal immigration is a very hard process to get through, there is a lot of red tape.  There are many who try coming here "properly".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/06 at 1:28 am

President's Radio Address
March 25, 2006

http://www.whitheouse.gov/news/releases/2006/03/20060325.html

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. On Monday, I will attend a naturalization ceremony here in Washington. It's always inspiring to watch a group of immigrants raise their hands and swear an oath to become citizens of the United States of America. These men and women follow in the footsteps of millions who've come to our shores seeking liberty and opportunity, and America is better off for their hard work and love of freedom.

America is a nation of immigrants, and we're also a nation of laws. And our immigration laws are in need of reform. So at Monday's ceremony, I will discuss my vision for comprehensive immigration reform that will secure our borders, improve enforcement of our immigration laws, and uphold our values.

Comprehensive immigration reform begins with securing our borders. Since I took office, we've increased funding for border security by 66 percent, and the Department of Homeland Security has caught and sent home nearly 6 million illegal immigrants. To improve security at the border, we're hiring thousands more Border Patrol agents. We're deploying new technology, like infrared cameras and unmanned aerial vehicles, to help our agents do their job. And we're installing physical barriers to entry, like fences in urban areas.

We're also working to end the unwise practice of catch-and-release. For decades, many illegal immigrants were released back into society soon after they were caught, because we did not have enough detention space. So we're adding more beds so we can hold the people we catch, and we're reducing the time it takes to send them back home. When illegal immigrants know they will be caught and sent home, they will be less likely to break the rules, and our immigration system will be more orderly and secure. We're making good progress, but we have much more work ahead, and we will not be satisfied until we have control of our border.

Comprehensive immigration reform also includes strengthening the enforcement of our laws in America's interior. Since I took office, we've increased funding for immigration enforcement by 42 percent. We're increasing the number of immigration enforcement agents and criminal investigators, enhancing work site enforcement, and going after smugglers and gang members and human traffickers.

Finally, comprehensive immigration reform requires a temporary worker program that will relieve pressure on our borders. This program would create a legal way to match willing foreign workers with willing American employers to fill jobs that Americans will not do. By reducing the number of people trying to sneak across the border, we would free up our law enforcement officers to focus on criminals and drug dealers and terrorists and others who mean us harm.

One thing the temporary worker program would not do is provide amnesty to those who are in our country illegally. I believe that granting amnesty would be unfair, because it would allow those who break the law to jump ahead of people who play by the rules and wait in the citizenship line. Amnesty would also be unwise, because it would encourage waves of illegal immigration, increase pressure on the border, and make it more difficult for law enforcement to focus on those who mean us harm. For the sake of justice and for the sake of border security, I firmly oppose amnesty.

In the coming days, the United States Senate plans to consider proposals on immigration reform. This is an emotional debate. America does not have to choose between being a welcoming society and being a lawful society. We can be both at the same time. As we debate the immigration issue, we must remember there are hard-working individuals, doing jobs that Americans will not do, who are contributing to the economic vitality of our country.

To keep the promise of America, we must enforce the laws of America. We must also ensure that immigrants assimilate into our society and learn our customs and values -- including the English language. By working together, we can meet our duty to fix our immigration system and deliver a bill that protects our country, upholds our laws, and makes our Nation proud.

Thank you for listening.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 1:35 am

I'm sorry to say this, but I think we need to stop all the illegal immigration, it's getting ridiculous. Our economy right now cannot support this invasion of illegals who will take jobs for any amount of money, and validate the corporate bastards keeping so many Americans on welfare. Sure, they aren't great jobs, but plenty of CITIZEN Americans of all races and creeds are willing to take them. I think in order to reorient this country towards its tax-paying citizens we need to try and get rid of alot of the illegals who won't immediately apply for citizenship, and I honestly think we should get up to the standard of other countries and take legal action against alot of these illegal immigrants...I mean, for god's sakes, it's a security risk and they have no right to be here! I'm the great-grandchild of immigrants who came over legally via Ellis Island, opened candy stores and such, and sent their kids to Ivy League Universities, some of them without ever fully giving up Yiddish. And they came here legally, made an effort to assimilate, etc. Also, illegal immigration gives these countries, like Mexico, an excuse to not improve and better themselves so they can find opportunities there, and siphon off their extra population growth on us.

One thing that upsets me is that there are hundreds of illegals living in a state park in Jersey, while American citizens in places like Newark remain unemployed, with illegals taking their jobs. In order to squelch the corporate greed that causes this, we need to cut off the supply of illegals now, before our country is permanently ruined.

Written By: La Roche on 03/26/06 at 1:39 am

I'm sorry to say this, but I think we need to stop all the illegal immigration, it's getting ridiculous. Our economy right now cannot support this invasion of illegals who will take jobs for any amount of money, and validate the corporate bastards keeping so many Americans on welfare. Sure, they aren't great jobs, but plenty of CITIZEN Americans of all races and creeds are willing to take them. I think in order to reorient this country towards its tax-paying citizens we need to try and get rid of alot of the illegals who won't immediately apply for citizenship, and I honestly think we should get up to the standard of other countries and take legal action against alot of these illegal immigrants...I mean, for god's sakes, it's a security risk and they have no right to be here! I'm the great-grandchild of immigrants who came over legally via Ellis Island, opened candy stores and such, and sent their kids to Ivy League Universities, some of them without ever fully giving up Yiddish. And they came here legally, made an effort to assimilate, etc. Also, illegal immigration gives these countries, like Mexico, an excuse to not improve and better themselves so they can find opportunities there, and siphon off their extra population growth on us.

One thing that upsets me is that there are hundreds of illegals living in a state park in Jersey, while American citizens in places like Newark remain unemployed, with illegals taking their jobs. In order to squelch the corporate greed that causes this, we need to cut off the supply of illegals now, before our country is permanently ruined.

This was the point I was trying to make.

Whilst we still have millions unemployed in this country we should be spending the millions of dollars that go on Juan and Juanita on educating those who aren't contributing but are at least a part of our society.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 1:47 am

This was the point I was trying to make.

Whilst we still have millions unemployed in this country we should be spending the millions of dollars that go on Juan and Juanita on educating those who aren't contributing but are at least a part of our society.

Yeah, and they get to strain our public schools system. Somebody detail to me the implications of this new bill...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/06 at 5:36 am

What right do they think they have to stay?

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

I hope they hold more rallies!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/06 at 5:43 am

Somebody detail to me the implications of this new bill...

It adds more border patrol agents, funding for new equipment and technology to secure the border, adds more detention centers, makes being an illegal immigrant a felony, makes aiding illegal immigrants punishable by law, cracks down on companies that knowingly hire illegals and builds a wall along the entire US-Mexico border.

That is HR-4437, the bill that passed the house of representatives in December of 2005 and is now one of the immigration bills being considered in the senate.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 6:07 am

I'm sorry to say this

Don't be sorry. Illegal immigrants should just piss off (the same over here). It's nothing to do with racism, or not caring about poverty. They are just free-loaders. I think the government is too soft on illegal immigrants/refugees who don't have a good reason to come.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/06 at 8:18 am

I'm sorry to say this, but I think we need to stop all the illegal immigration, it's getting ridiculous. Our economy right now cannot support this invasion of illegals who will take jobs for any amount of money, and validate the corporate bastards keeping so many Americans on welfare. Sure, they aren't great jobs, but plenty of CITIZEN Americans of all races and creeds are willing to take them. I think in order to reorient this country towards its tax-paying citizens we need to try and get rid of alot of the illegals who won't immediately apply for citizenship, and I honestly think we should get up to the standard of other countries and take legal action against alot of these illegal immigrants....

How about taking action against the corporations who knowingly hire illegals, pay them less then minimum wage.  How about censuring them, instead of all the have-nots beating each other up over a meatless bone.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/26/06 at 8:23 am

How about taking action against the corporations who knowingly hire illegals, pay them less then minimum wage.  How about censuring them, instead of all the have-nots beating each other up over a meatless bone.

Crack down on companies that hire illegals and end all welfare to illegals, the source as it's called, and illegal immigration will dry up very fast.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/06 at 8:29 am

Crack down on companies that hire illegals and end all welfare to illegals, the source as it's called, and illegal immigration will dry up very fast.

Yes.  Regular unannounced walk throughs in a garment district factory, or through the fields at midday checking papers would be safer, saner, and more effective than a bunch of yahoos with shotguns playing commando on the border. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 10:39 am

I totally agree with this.

Written By: La Roche on 03/26/06 at 12:53 pm

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

True patriots! hehehehe..

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/26/06 at 1:02 pm

According to some reports, a goodly number of people STILL DO.  Not technically of course, and they are mostly illegal hispanic women inticed to come here with false promises.  If you really want to close the flood gates, go after those who exploit the illegals.  If they couldnt find work, they wouldn't come.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/26/06 at 1:29 pm

Most corporations do not hire illegals.  It simply does not make sense, with the huge fines and penalties if you get caught.

And in most of those cases, the aliens presented fraudulent paperwork in the first place.  And employers are not allowed to question the paperwork presented to them.

If they get a Social Security card and drivers license belonging to Saul Abraham Cohn, they have no right to question if the Mexican guy who can't speak English is really him or not.  In fact, employers have been sued for trying to investigate the legality of prospective employees in the past.

Then they are fined and sued again when it turns out that "Saul Cohn" was really some illegal from Columbia.

If you want paperwork, it is easy as heck to get in LA.  In fact, I can take you to places where you can get all the paperwork you need for $250.  You can walk in one side Margarita Codina, and walk out the other side Mary Smith.  And like I said, it is against the law for employers to question the legality of the paperwork presented to them.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 2:12 pm

Don't be sorry. Illegal immigrants should just piss off (the same over here). It's nothing to do with racism, or not caring about poverty. They are just free-loaders. I think the government is too soft on illegal immigrants/refugees who don't have a good reason to come.

Know what you speak of before you open your mouth.  What they are doing might not be legal, but to call them freeloaders is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  They are alot more hardworking than most Americans.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/06 at 2:52 pm

Most corporations do not hire illegals.  It simply does not make sense, with the huge fines and penalties if you get caught.

And in most of those cases, the aliens presented fraudulent paperwork in the first place.  And employers are not allowed to question the paperwork presented to them.

If they get a Social Security card and drivers license belonging to Saul Abraham Cohn, they have no right to question if the Mexican guy who can't speak English is really him or not.  In fact, employers have been sued for trying to investigate the legality of prospective employees in the past.

Then they are fined and sued again when it turns out that "Saul Cohn" was really some illegal from Columbia.

If you want paperwork, it is easy as heck to get in LA.  In fact, I can take you to places where you can get all the paperwork you need for $250.  You can walk in one side Margarita Codina, and walk out the other side Mary Smith.  And like I said, it is against the law for employers to question the legality of the paperwork presented to them.

I really don't care if the people are working here legally or not.  I care more about places that knowingly hire illegals, pay them next to nothing, and exploit them, and in doing so they exploit all American workers.  Since there are approximately 11 million illegals and many of them work in menial positions such as the garment industry and crop picking you can believe a lot of it is going on and being overlooked, pay day is for payoff.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 3:23 pm

Know what you speak of before you open your mouth.  What they are doing might not be legal, but to call them freeloaders is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  They are alot more hardworking than most Americans.

Well, the system of illegal immigration is corrupt and exploitative, and is f*cking up the economy of legal Americans, hard-working middle-class Americans, and it gives their home countries a stupid excuse to keep being cesspools of poverty.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 3:37 pm

Well, the system of illegal immigration is corrupt and exploitative, and is f*cking up the economy of legal Americans, hard-working middle-class Americans, and it gives their home countries a stupid excuse to keep being cesspools of poverty.

That has no relevance to what I'm saying.  You can't argue that they aren't hard-working people.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 3:42 pm

Illegal immigration hurts the American economy.  That is true.  But when you try to make some sort of personal judgement on illegals because of that, you are wrong IMO. Do you expect them to stay in Mexico and suffer with less oppurtunities and no future so the American working man who already had it ten times better doesn't suffer? 

I'm not arguing that makes illegal immigration right.  But its not right to blame the illegals themselves.  The WTO, Mexican government, American government, and employers here in the United States are all more at fault IMO.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/26/06 at 4:16 pm

Wow.  That was swift.

I wonder as the backlash against illegal immigration strengthens, if we are going to see more of this type of thing.  I hope it doesn't cause civil unrest in the Southwest.

it may

Written By: STAR70 on 03/26/06 at 4:23 pm

And people wonder why I am glad to be out of LA.

Personally, I could not give a damn about illegal aliens.  We have had so damned many "amnesty" programs over the last 3 decades, I see absolutely no reason why anybody should be here illegally.

I say either get yourself legal status, or get out.  Plain and simple.

And like GW said, they are not citizens.  In fact, the US gives non-citizens (and even non-residents) more "rights" then most other countries in the world.

If they do not like how things are run here, go home.

Or if they want, they can go through the legal process, and become citizens.  That way, they will have every legal right that I do, and every other US Citizen (other then run for President).

yet you've admitted to marrying an illegal alien, in essence, giving her your own "amnesty program". can you say, "contradiction?"

Written By: STAR70 on 03/26/06 at 4:26 pm

The problem is that the SW US states (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, California) are already drowning under a wave of illegal immigration.  In fact, several years ago the demographics in California shifted, and being Caucasin is now a minority.

although caucasions are no longer themajority in California, caucasians are still the plurality.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/26/06 at 4:43 pm

I hope you realize the irony that the same was said about your Jewish ancestors when they first arrived.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/26/06 at 4:46 pm

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

image 2 WAS NOT from Saturday's demonstration. it's been circulating all over the Internet for about 2 years now.

and yes I hope there are more demonstrations too

Written By: STAR70 on 03/26/06 at 4:49 pm

one of the promoters of saturday's demo was RYAN SEACREST! YOU GO BOY!!!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/natalieeshaya/RANDOM%20PICS/IMG_0218.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 03/26/06 at 10:22 pm

yet you've admitted to marrying an illegal alien, in essence, giving her your own "amnesty program". can you say, "contradiction?"

Yes, when I got married, my wife was illegal.  However, my situation was slightly different.

For one, she entered the country legally, she overstayed her visa however.  And in addition, neither she nor I knew she was illegal.  In fact, it was not discovered until weeks before we got married.  While we were getting the paperwork together, she continually pressured her father to give her her passport, birth certificate, and everything else she woudl need.  After weeks of his resisting, she finally broke into his strong box and discovered the truth: they they had overstayed their 6 month visitor visas by 5 years.

Her family fled Argentina during the "dirty wars", and her father hid their citizenship status.  He got both of his daughters illegal Social Security cards and other things needed to work.  And she did not even need me to change her status, because her daughter was born in the US.

Ironically, when we started to take the legal actions nessicary to make her "legal", it was faster and easier to have her use one of the amnesty programs then it was to use our marriage.  And while her paperwork was being processed, her mother and sister did the same thing.  Neither of them knew of the situation with their visas either.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 1:09 am

Hope I'm not being a repeater pencil here, but this "illegal immigration" is not a Democrat/Republican issue, it is a corporatist issue. However, the Republican constituents benefit more from illegal immigration than do Democrat constuents. You have working class Republicans (ie. people with their heads up their dupas) and you have posh Dems who hire nannies and gardeners, so there is some interest on both sides. The votes issue is pretty much moot. The illegal immigrant voting bloc is inconsequential.
The entities that benefit most from illegal immigration are corporations. They help drive wages down.  The new word for this is "insourcing." The legislators beating the drum for immigration reform are full of hot air. They have to make it look like they're addressing the problem. However, no matter what law gets passed, illegal immigration is not going away.
Don't get me wrong. I support rights for so-called "illegals." They are human beings. Corporations are not human beings. I have much more in common with a Mexican busboy named Juan than I do with Dick Cheney.  Furthermore, a Mexican busboy named Juan pays taxes to the U.S. treasury. Dick Cheney and his pals rob the U.S. treasury blind day in and day out. If anybody should be deported it is the bloodsucking government-contracting corporate executives and the bloodsucking legislators who do their dirty work on Capitol Hill.

MY COUNTRY IS THE INTERNATIONAL PROLETARIAT.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 3:21 pm

I watched George Stephanopoulos and I got wierded out.  George Will is on the side of the illegals.  :o  His thought is let them in and
make them legal. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 3:50 pm

I still think the illegals don't get they're not Americans...they're just not Americans and they have no legal right to be here.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 3:51 pm

I still think the illegals don't get they're not Americans...they're just not Americans and they have no legal right to be here.

I would say they are more than well aware ot that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 4:36 pm

I would say they are more than well aware ot that.

Listening to some of their quotes, it doesn't seem that way. They act like jumping the border qualifies them as Americans.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 7:51 pm

Just jumping the border doesn't, but I'd say working here for years, raising a family here, and paying money to the S.S.A. does.

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/06 at 8:01 pm

Just jumping the border doesn't, but I'd say working here for years, raising a family here, and paying money to the S.S.A. does.

No.. being an American means being a citizen of this country.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 8:07 pm

There's more to it then that.  If you're being technical about it you could say that, but there is more to being an American than that.  I've known several people who are the children of illegal immigrants, and they are just as American as anyone.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 8:08 pm

Our illegal immigration "problem" as concerns Latin Americans is a direct result of oppressive American imperialism in Latin America going back two centuries. Sorry Sean Hannity fans, that's the way it is.
8)

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/06 at 8:09 pm

There's more to it then that.  If you're being technical about it you could say that, but there is more to being an American than that.  I've known several people who are the children of illegal immigrants, and they are just as American as anyone.

That matters not I'm afraid. We live in a society of law and as such technical definitions apply.

Illegal Immigrants have no right to be here.
This is fact.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 8:14 pm

That's why the bigots want to rescind the right of citizenship to the children of immigrants.  Oh, they will say "illegal aliens," but what they really mean is immigrants, specifically immigrants who are not white. If we deny citizenship to some people born on U.S. soil and grant it to others we divide Americans in a nasty way...but that's what the rightwing is all about.  On the other hand, George Will (no leftie he) did say deporting all illegal aliens is totally unrealistic, and it is.  What Will did not say is that the whole "illegal alien" affair is just a red herring to distract the country from the total mess this administration has made of everything else it has touched.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 8:25 pm

That's why the bigots want to rescind the right of citizenship to the children of immigrants.  Oh, they will say "illegal aliens," but what they really mean is immigrants, specifically immigrants who are not white. If we deny citizenship to some people born on U.S. soil and grant it to others we divide Americans in a nasty way...but that's what the rightwing is all about.  On the other hand, George Will (no leftie he) did say deporting all illegal aliens is totally unrealistic, and it is.  What Will did not say is that the whole "illegal alien" affair is just a red herring to distract the country from the total mess this administration has made of everything else it has touched.

I agree, Maxwell.  And I'm with you.  I feel like I have more in common with Juan from Guadalajara then with Bush or any of the people he serves.  Hell, I grew up around them in the construction business.  I'm pretty far from being WASP.

Anyway,

That matters not I'm afraid. We live in a society of law and as such technical definitions apply.

Illegal Immigrants have no right to be here.
This is fact.

That includes a lot of your own ancestors, amigo.

While I don't think illegal immigration is a good thing, I feel people who think illegals are the enemy of the American working man are being sorely, sorely duped. Workers need more unity not just within this country, but internationally.  If they did so countries like Mexico would have much better working conditions than they do now.  Not as many people would want to come here in the first place then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 8:33 pm

I agree, Maxwell.  And I'm with you.  I feel like I have more in common with Juan from Guadalajara then with Bush or any of the people he serves.  Hell, I grew up around them in the construction business.  I'm pretty far from being WASP.

Anyway,

While I don't think illegal immigration is a good thing, I feel people who think illegals are the enemy of the American working man are being sorely, sorely duped. Workers need more unity not just within this country, but internationally.  If they did so countries like Mexico would have much better working conditions than they do now.  Not as many people would want to come here in the first place then.

Thanks, Dude.  And, yes, it all comes back to WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!
If you don't like illegal immigration, tell your government to get out of the empire business.
::)

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/06 at 8:33 pm

I explained this before. Yes, this country was started by immigrants and immigration has been great for this country. At times when we've experienced large growth immigration has been vital.
We are currently struggling out of a recession and you want to tell me that we just need more immigrant labor doing jobs that anybody with 2 hands could do.. no amigo, that isn't the right idea.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 8:38 pm

To some extent, you have a point.

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/06 at 8:41 pm

Right.  I'm an American because I was born here.  My friends parents, though born in Denmark are Americans because they're naturalized citizens.  Unless you can prove you're a citizen of this country, I don't believe you can call yourself an American and expect to be afforded the same rights and privileges that we are.

And that's what they want.
Juan wants the exact same rights and prvileges as everyone else.
The lefties would have us cave in to them as well.
'Awwww look, he's hungry, let's cut him a check'
'Ooohh, let's raise taxes again!!'  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 8:50 pm

And that's what they want.
Juan wants the exact same rights and prvileges as everyone else.
The lefties would have us cave in to them as well.
'Awwww look, he's hungry, let's cut him a check'
'Ooohh, let's raise taxes again!!'  ;D

Th'ell you crowin' about? If you did a day's work that most so-called "illegals" do, you'd be so sore you couldn't get outta bed the next morning.  I am sick and tired of know-nothing-type Americans portraying immigrants as a bunch of layabouts looking for a hand-out. Nothing could be further from the truth.
>:(

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/06 at 8:55 pm

Th'ell you crowin' about? If you did a day's work that most so-called "illegals" do, you'd be so sore you couldn't get outta bed the next morning.  I am sick and tired of know-nothing-type Americans portraying immigrants as a bunch of layabouts looking for a hand-out. Nothing could be further from the truth.
>:(

To be honest, I could care less if they work hard or don't work, they still shouldn't be here.
Most of the jobs they do contribute to the underground economy and in some cases are in fact illegal.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 9:02 pm

Then get citizenship.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/27/06 at 9:02 pm

pix!!! the guy with the gay power flag rules!!!!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=101949

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 9:02 pm

To be honest, I could care less if they work hard or don't work, they still shouldn't be here.
Most of the jobs they do contribute to the underground economy and in some cases are in fact illegal.

The underground economy is owned and operated by American citizens, whether the immigrant in question is working for a corporation or a criminal enterprise (not that there's any practical difference these days).  I just wonder if you REALLY think the podium-pounding Republicans calling for a crackdown are actually goning to do something to solve the problem. Believe you me, they ain't!

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 9:04 pm

I explained this before. Yes, this country was started by immigrants and immigration has been great for this country. At times when we've experienced large growth immigration has been vital.
We are currently struggling out of a recession and you want to tell me that we just need more immigrant labor doing jobs that anybody with 2 hands could do.. no amigo, that isn't the right idea.

Yeah, my ancestors came over at a time when we were rapidly expanding and industrializing. Now, we're in a recession and we keep taking in massive numbers of immigrants we have no reason to take...and it's bad for them, if all these discontented people stayed in their countries maybe real change would happen in their governments and societies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/06 at 9:14 pm

Yeah, my ancestors came over at a time when we were rapidly expanding and industrializing. Now, we're in a recession and we keep taking in massive numbers of immigrants we have no reason to take...and it's bad for them, if all these discontented people stayed in their countries maybe real change would happen in their governments and societies.

Well, duh, whenever the people elect a guy they want, one who will fight for their interests and NOT the interests of international capital, the CIA goes down there and blows him away! So that's why I said if you don't like illegal immigration, tell your government to get out of the empire business. Sheesh!
:D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 9:17 pm

Well, duh, whenever the people elect a guy they want, one who will fight for their interests and NOT the interests of international capital, the CIA goes down there and blows him away! So that's why I said if you don't like illegal immigration, tell your government to get out of the empire business. Sheesh!

Can't I do both?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 9:23 pm

Here's a little secret I'll let you in on.  Over 90% of the people in the residential construction business do not pay taxes.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 9:27 pm

Exactly.  We have to get rid of the cause, and part of the cause is corporate imperialism.  If it wasn't for these multinational corporations perhaps worker's rights and conditions would be alot better.

Then get citizenship.

Oh I agree that they should get citizenship, but it's a very difficult process(although not as hard as getting permanate residency I believe).  And right now, if you're an illegal, I don't really think you can GET citizenship, which is part of the problem.  Although many are virtually undeportable because their children are citizens. 

Not only do we need to address the issue of worker's rights better on the international stage, but we also need better border security, a way to bring those who are already here 'out of the cold' so to speak, AND our immigration system needs reform as well.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/27/06 at 9:35 pm

And does anyone honestly think the U.S. COULD kick all 12 million people out?  Ha!  You might as well set Southern California ablaze, because that's what will happen if they try to do that.  And what makes people think only the illegals will get p!ssed?  I'd get pretty angry if I was an American citizen of Mexican descent.  The Southwest could possibly become like Northern Ireland. :o

This kind of fits...

Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane

Look what

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 9:37 pm

Here's a little secret I'll let you in on.  Over 90% of the people in the residential construction business do not pay taxes.

In Jersey, it's controlled by the Italian mob. No surprises there! And the residential construction business has stakes in things like strip clubs.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 2:56 pm

Yes, we should prosecute those who hire illegal aliens to the fullest extent of the law.  How about we start with this joker?

http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060327-123033-1230r

;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 2:59 pm

Yes, we should prosecute those who hire illegal aliens to the fullest extent of the law.  How about we start with this joker?

;D

;D  Reading this, it appears to be an accident.  I kinda doubt he hires these people himself, anyway.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 3:22 pm

;D  Reading this, it appears to be an accident.  I kinda doubt he hires these people himself, anyway.

I know.  And that is exactly my point.

People often seem to get all bent out of shape, saying that people who hire illegals (or who have them work for them) should be crucified.

However, I live in the real world.  The world where the illegals frequently have paperwork that appears legal.  Or who are self employed (or contractors), where no paperwork is needed.  I understand that fact, and have no problem, as long as things are corrected when they are discovered.

But this just goes to show that anybody can get caught up in the hiring of an illegal alien, even a former President.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 3:58 pm

I know.  And that is exactly my point.

People often seem to get all bent out of shape, saying that people who hire illegals (or who have them work for them) should be crucified.

However, I live in the real world.  The world where the illegals frequently have paperwork that appears legal.  Or who are self employed (or contractors), where no paperwork is needed.  I understand that fact, and have no problem, as long as things are corrected when they are discovered.

But this just goes to show that anybody can get caught up in the hiring of an illegal alien, even a former President.

Good point.  I can't argue with that..

I guess what we need to do is come up with more efficient ways for employers to be able to identify who they are hiring. If they can come up with ways to fight counterfeit money, can't they do the same for these types of documents?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 4:11 pm

Good point.  I can't argue with that..

I guess what we need to do is come up with more efficient ways for employers to be able to identify who they are hiring. If they can come up with ways to fight counterfeit money, can't they do the same for these types of documents?

The problem is that they can't verify.  It is against the law.

About 8 years ago, there was a company in California that tried to do just that.  They discovered several people who applied to work there (and some who already worked there) who had fraudulent paperwork.  They promptly fired them.

Then they were sued.  It seems that doing that is some form of discrimination, since you would never ask something like that from somebody who was born and raised in the US.  Verifying paperwork is discriminatory to immigrants.  And yes, the company was fined for firing illegal aliens, and refuseing to hire illegal immigrants.

Talk about a catch-22!

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 5:25 pm

The problem is that they can't verify.  It is against the law.

About 8 years ago, there was a company in California that tried to do just that.  They discovered several people who applied to work there (and some who already worked there) who had fraudulent paperwork.  They promptly fired them.

Then they were sued.  It seems that doing that is some form of discrimination, since you would never ask something like that from somebody who was born and raised in the US.  Verifying paperwork is discriminatory to immigrants.  And yes, the company was fined for firing illegal aliens, and refuseing to hire illegal immigrants.

Talk about a catch-22!

Well then some changes need to be made to the law.  Requiring paperwork from immigrants is just common sense. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/28/06 at 11:05 pm

Sweeping immigration proposal goes to governor
The Associated Press
03/28/2006

ATLANTA - The Georgia House gave final approval Tuesday to a sweeping bill that would deny some state services to adults living in the U.S. illegally, sending what would be some of the nation's toughest immigration rules to the governor.

The move, which passed by a 119-49 vote, came after the state's labor chief warned that the compromise brokered between House and Senate lawmakers may create a sort of amnesty for some undocumented workers.

The bill would verify that adults seeking many state-administered benefits _ like non-emergency medical care and unemployment checks _ are in the country legally. It would also sanction employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants, punishing them through the tax code.

In the compromise, lawmakers dropped a section that would have tacked on a 5 percent fee to wire transfers by people who could not prove they were in the country legally. Instead, they added a requirement that 6 percent of wages should be withheld from workers who can't provide a taxpayer identification number.

The proposal, which was approved by the Senate Monday, will now be sent to Gov. Sonny Perdue. If it is signed into law, Georgia will be the among the first U.S. states with legislation tackling such a broad range of immigration issues, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Critics warned Tuesday that late changes to the bill could have grave unintended consequences.

When lawmakers stripped the bill of its requirement to verify the immigration status of current workers at companies with taxpayer contracts, they effectively granted state amnesty to undocumented workers who might now be employed, said Michael Thurmond, the state's labor commissioner.

Under the bill that passed Tuesday, only new hires would be checked using the federal verification system _ not current employees.

That portion of the law would not take effect until July 2007, leaving time for many new immigrants to get on the payroll before the tough new checks take effect, Thurmond said.

"We should work to protect employers who play by the rules," he said. "That's my concern _ to create a level playing field."

State Sen. Chip Rogers, R-Woodstock, said that the federal program being used to check immigration status could only be used on new hires.

"If he (Thurmond) believes this is allowing amnesty I would encourage him to begin auditing employers and enforce the law," Rogers said.

It's the latest tiff over the immigration proposal that Republican lawmakers put at the top of their agenda before the start of the session.

During the committee process, lobbyists from the farm and business lobbies fought to push back the bill's start dates. As a result, some provisions don't take effect until July 2007 while others have been delayed as late as 2009.

Some see that as an attempt to give federal lawmakers a chance to pass comprehensive legislation.

When throngs of immigrants rallied against the proposal during a "day of dignity" last week at the Capitol, state Sen. Sam Zamarripa told the crowd that the later start date could give the federal government the chance to take action.

"We want the people to come out of the shadows," said Zamarripa, D-Atlanta. "We want you to have rights."

The U.S. Senate this week is grappling with new federal immigration policies that have prompted thousands of people in cities around the U.S. to protest the bill.

In the state House, some critics urged lawmakers to hold off the vote until federal lawmakers act. State Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, D-Decatur, said if Congress does act, much of the state's proposal could become moot.

Rogers, though, said it is too soon to say how the federal bill under consideration by the U.S. Senate will affect Georgia's proposed law.

He added that was "illogical" to expect that immigration legislation passed on the federal level would stem the tide of illegal immigrants.

"It is proper for the state of Georgia to take steps to deal with the issue here, regardless of what is happening (in Washington)," he said.

Link

--With the quisling federal government, it's now up to the states.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 7:33 am

The next with legislation like this is New York, and then other NE states where people are miffed off at the swarms of illegal immigrants hanging around on the streets, many of them homeless and living in parks.

Written By: McDonald on 03/29/06 at 12:06 pm

if you want to come to this country, do so the way tens of millions have before you:  Legally.

People make it seem like it's so easy for a dirt-poor Mexican to get into this country "legally." I know Mexicans who are here on visas and such, and guess what... rich! I asked my English student (from Mexico, here legally because her mom's a doctor) what she thought about the poverty situation in her country... and I got the most unconcerned bimbo answer of my life ("huh? Oh, yeah... ummm... bad?"). "Legal" immigration is not and never has been a feasible option for poor people. So it's either break the laws of a foreign country, or let your family starve.... which would you do?

I realise that our economy can't sustain the entire impoverished population of Mexico, nor should it have to, but I wish people would get off their high American horses and stop acting like these people are scum and like they're better than these people just because they happened to be born into a society that could take care of them sufficiently. I'd like to see how any of you would cope with that kind of do-or-die survival circumstance. It's easy to shout criticisms from the top of the mountain.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/06 at 6:33 pm

My ancestors were poor, and they came here legally.  In fact, I had family flee the Nazis when they occupied Denmark, and they left with nothing more than a suitcase and the clothes on their backs, but they came here legally. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 6:53 pm

People make it seem like it's so easy for a dirt-poor Mexican to get into this country "legally." I know Mexicans who are here on visas and such, and guess what... rich! I asked my English student (from Mexico, here legally because her mom's a doctor) what she thought about the poverty situation in her country... and I got the most unconcerned bimbo answer of my life ("huh? Oh, yeah... ummm... bad?"). "Legal" immigration is not and never has been a feasible option for poor people. So it's either break the laws of a foreign country, or let your family starve.... which would you do?

I realise that our economy can't sustain the entire impoverished population of Mexico, nor should it have to, but I wish people would get off their high American horses and stop acting like these people are scum and like they're better than these people just because they happened to be born into a society that could take care of them sufficiently. I'd like to see how any of you would cope with that kind of do-or-die survival circumstance. It's easy to shout criticisms from the top of the mountain.

It's not just Mexico, it's also Canada, Southeast Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean Islands...Mexico gets the brunt of the venom because they seem to have the most immigrants, legal or otherwise.  You can tell because at least in California, the Hispanic population has ballooned from 10% to 30+% in the past couple decades. 

I don't condone illegal immigration, because it took my family and I forever to go through the proper channels to get our visas, resident alien IDs, and finally full citizenship, and I don't think these people should be allowed to bypass those channels just because they were poorer than I.  My family was poor once, too, but through hard work and sacrifice, they were able to improve their situation before coming to America.  I understand it is not as simple for many immigrants, but I would hope that the powers that be would propose an incentive for "disadvantaged" prospects to do so legally.

Illegal immigrants are not scum, they just broke the law getting here.  At least with the Mexican population in the area I am in, you can tell that they are hard-working, otherwise law-abiding people who will take the jobs that, truthfully, most legal citizens would not.  I don't think the immigration process should necessarily be eased, but like I said, perhaps we need some kind of incentive program to stop dangerous and illegal immigration tactics.

In this day and age, we are going to have to be more prudent as to who is allowed into the country...even along the Canadian border.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 7:13 pm

Actually, there are plenty of white illegals (largely from the former Yugoslavia, Poland, Ireland, Portugal, Russia and Ukraine, probably Israel and other Mideastern countries) but they get waay less attention.

And yes, my family is descended from immigrants, but they came legally. They came via Ellis Island c. 1900 from Ukraine, Lithuania, and Poland, and worked extremely hard and assimilated, for better or for worse. They tried to become citizens and become a part of society-legally.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/29/06 at 8:05 pm

;D

under the SenselessBitcher(HR4437) Bill, ALL illegals, and EVERYONE who "assist them, will be felons!!!

Guess what-- 'Shroom, your wife's a FELON!!!!
...and for marrying and illegal, you're a felon too!!!
...and the children of such a union would be the progeny of felons!!!

Written By: witchain on 03/29/06 at 8:16 pm

I've just been reading this whole thread, and THAT is wrong!
Immigrants bust their asses for 10 or 12 hours a day doing things you wouldn't consider doing.
And they do it for minimum wage.
Illegal? Underground? Who do think picked the farking oranges and pears you eat?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 8:21 pm

under the SenselessBitcher(HR4437) Bill, ALL illegals, and EVERYONE who "assist them, will be felons!!!

Ex post facto.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/29/06 at 8:28 pm

Ex post facto.

the SenselessBitcher Bill (HR 4437) is so-o-o senseless I wouldn't be surprised if they would make it retroactive.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 8:35 pm

the SenselessBitcher Bill (HR 4437) is so-o-o senseless I wouldn't be surprised if they would make it retroactive.

Perhaps I should explain.

Article I, Section 9, the third rule:

No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

As in it would be illegal and unconstitutional to make this law retroactive with the intent of convicting Mushroom and his wife.  Who is no longer an illegal if I understand his posts correctly.

You can learn a bit more about ex post facto laws and its constitutional ramifications here.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 8:38 pm

A****ingmen, brother.

My ancestors were poor, and they came here legally.  In fact, I had family flee the Nazis when they occupied Denmark, and they left with nothing more than a suitcase and the clothes on their backs, but they came here legally. 

Perhaps your ancestors did, but many of the white European immigrants of the 19th century were not actually legal.  You know where the name "wop" comes from? Without papers.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 8:56 pm

Perhaps your ancestors did, but many of the white European immigrants of the 19th century were not actually legal.  You know where the name "wop" comes from? Without papers.

Just because they got away with it 150 years ago doesn't make it right.  It's like saying, "Hey, everyone else was speeding, why did you pull ME over?"  Guess what the officer will say? 

"Because I caught you first."

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 9:23 pm

Just because they got away with it 150 years ago doesn't make it right.  It's like saying, "Hey, everyone else was speeding, why did you pull ME over?"  Guess what the officer will say? 

"Because I caught you first."

You know whats illogical? Comparing a traffic cop giving out speeding tickets to booting people out of this country, many of whom have lived most of their lives here.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/29/06 at 9:29 pm

Perhaps I should explain.

Article I, Section 9, the third rule:

No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

As in it would be illegal and unconstitutional to make this law retroactive with the intent of convicting Mushroom and his wife.  Who is no longer an illegal if I understand his posts correctly.

WHO KNOWS? the hysteria with regards to the SenselessBitcher Bill is so severe, and the current Supreme court so whacked out, that the ex post facto clause could be repealed. stranger things have happened, i.e. Patriot Act and Patriot Act 2.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/29/06 at 9:52 pm

more pix!!!

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/03/151662.php?theme=1

Written By: McDonald on 03/29/06 at 10:01 pm

My dad emigrated here legally in 1968, my grandmother in the 50's, and both of their situations were entirely different from one another, not to mention from that of the typical poor Mexican. During the waves of immigration of yesteryear, things were a lot different, namely the fact that our immigration policies at those times responded to the various crises in Europe such as the the Potato Famine, and later to crises in Southeast Asia such as Korea and Vietnam...). However, our contemporary immigration policies have failed to adequetly respond to the poverty crisis south of the border and that is why we are facxed with a crisis of our own right now. I don't blame illegal Mexican immigrants for doing what they feel they have to do to survive. I for one am more upset at non-Mexican immigrants from countries especially in Europe who have come recently and stayed here illegally, because most of Europe is facing no crisis that even philisophically justify immigrating illegally. But I do sympathise with illegal Mexican immigrants because I can imagine what it's like to be in their shoes. When your family is going hungry you will do whatever you must do to provide for them, and if you personally cannot understand that, then I can only question your humanity.

Like I said in my previous post, it's very easy for Americans to throw stones because we've never been faced with that situation. It's also very easy to spout off infeasible and logistically impossible solutions such as "rounding them all up" and deporting them, because none of you, of course, will be doing any of the work... just footing your share of the bill. But I say you'll have to pay one way or the other, the onus is on us because we are the big guys, so we might as well do the right thing.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/29/06 at 10:57 pm

3 PAGES OF PIX!!!!

http://eecue.com/images_archive/eecue-album-1307-1-migrants_rights_protest.html

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/06 at 11:33 pm

You know whats illogical? Comparing a traffic cop giving out speeding tickets to booting people out of this country, many of whom have lived most of their lives here.

It's not illogical, because there are some that get away with it and some who don't.  That is the only comparison I intended to make.  But just because someone has lived here most of their lives illegally doesn't mean they get to stay, they still broke the law.  The reality is that they do stay, which means someone isn't enforcing the existing laws, so whatever reforms they intend to make to the current immigration laws will probably not be enforced either. 

WHO KNOWS? the hysteria with regards to the SenselessBitcher Bill is so severe, and the current Supreme court so whacked out, that the ex post facto clause could be repealed. stranger things have happened, i.e. Patriot Act and Patriot Act 2.

The ex post facto clause would never be repealed because the amendment process is so difficult, not to mention the fact that no state assemblyman or congressman is that stupid.  The Patriot Acts are scary, for sure, but from my understanding there is nothing blatantly unconstitutional about them.

My dad emigrated here legally in 1968, my grandmother in the 50's, and both of their situations were entirely different from one another, not to mention from that of the typical poor Mexican. During the waves of immigration of yesteryear, things were a lot different, namely the fact that our immigration policies at those times responded to the various crises in Europe such as the the Potato Famine, and later to crises in Southeast Asia such as Korea and Vietnam...). However, our contemporary immigration policies have failed to adequetly respond to the poverty crisis south of the border and that is why we are facxed with a crisis of our own right now. I don't blame illegal Mexican immigrants for doing what they feel they have to do to survive. I for one am more upset at non-Mexican immigrants from countries especially in Europe who have come recently and stayed here illegally, because most of Europe is facing no crisis that even philisophically justify immigrating illegally. But I do sympathise with illegal Mexican immigrants because I can imagine what it's like to be in their shoes. When your family is going hungry you will do whatever you must do to provide for them, and if you personally cannot understand that, then I can only question your humanity.

Well gee, if you find some illegal Irish or illegal Indians or illegal Luxembourgites, let's deport them too!

But seriously...there is a survival instinct in all humans, I agree.  And it is good for people to try to help out when they are able to.  But there also comes a time when you have to be practical.  Like you said earlier, we cannot conceivably support all the impoverished Mexicans or non-Mexicans who want to come into the country, and by that same token, we cannot be expected to carry the burden of bringing the entire Third World out of destitution, at least not alone.  And you cannot force people to be generous either, because then you are telling people what to do with THEIR hard earned money and that is wrong. 

From what I understand of your post, desperation for a better life is the prime reason most people try to get into the country illegally.  Actions are rarely justified by illegal activities, but in this case I actually do agree with you.  There are dozens of people floating the 80 miles of treacherous waters between Cuba and Florida just for a SHOT at getting their feet on US soil.  There are stories of people sewing themselves into car upholstery or mattresses in a high-risk attempt to get past the border patrol dogs.  Lots of people cram into junky boats like sardines for thousands of dollars just for the opportunity to live the American dream.  Despite what people may say, the United States is still one of the greatest countries in the world, and these desperate souls prove that point.  But even a great country such as ours has its limits.

Interestingly, the people who complain about the US immigration policy don't cry as much about some of the European Union members' immigration policies that at times seem harsher than ours (better enforced too).  I'll try to dig up some links to those stories at a later time if requested.  Also, one wonders if there is a more efficient way to use all the worldwide aid money the USA doles out every year so that we can alleviate the poverty that you spoke of.

Like I said in my previous post, it's very easy for Americans to throw stones because we've never been faced with that situation. It's also very easy to spout off infeasible and logistically impossible solutions such as "rounding them all up" and deporting them, because none of you, of course, will be doing any of the work... just footing your share of the bill. But I say you'll have to pay one way or the other, the onus is on us because we are the big guys, so we might as well do the right thing.

I think our ideas of the "right" thing to do would be dissimilar.  Following from what I said above, maybe we should start telling other countries that we're tired of always having to be the "big guys" and tell them to step it up a notch.  Probably not gonna happen though. 

I know the Republicans are in an uproar about Bush's "amnesty" program for illegal workers, but I think it's actually a very fair plan.  Close off the borders, both Canadian and Mexican, and tell the 11 million or so in the country now that they have x years to show that they're worth citizenship.  If they can't prove their mettle, then they've had their shot and they can go back home.  Of course, there will be tons of debate about the standards for citizenship or residency for these people, and it would be incredibly abrupt to just suddenly build the Great Wall of Canada after so many years of come-and-go (and also along the Mexican border) but something has to be done so that we can control the influx of people and start to enforce the rules that we should have been enforcing long ago before this became the fiasco it is today.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 11:55 pm

It's not illogical, because there are some that get away with it and some who don't.  That is the only comparison I intended to make.  But just because someone has lived here most of their lives illegally doesn't mean they get to stay, they still broke the law.  The reality is that they do stay, which means someone isn't enforcing the existing laws, so whatever reforms they intend to make to the current immigration laws will probably not be enforced either. 

Actually it should.  Kids of illegals who have grown up in the U.S. are just as American as you or me.  You can send them back, but you're sending back an American imo.  Alot of them are not even necessarily fluent in Spanish(the one I went to High School with was not).

And I don't think they should have to "prove" their worth as citizens.  Its just not right, when most of them have worked hard, paid taxes, and been otherwise law-abiding citizens here for years on end and we have countless pieces of sh*t who were born here and don't have to prove their worth.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 11:58 pm

And like Fareed Zakaria(this guy knows his stuff) said, its extremely bizarre for the U.S. to want to emulate Europe's immigration policies when they obviously DON'T WORK.  They have a very downtrodden and dissatisfied immigrant population that is ripe for extremism.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/30/06 at 6:12 am

Well gee, if you find some illegal Irish or illegal Indians or illegal Luxembourgites, let's deport them too!

Come to Boston, where they had so many Irish illegals they held what was called the "Irish Lottery" a few years back.  How is
this for a double standard:  Any Irish illegal (only Irish were eligible) could register to recieve a green card. If your name was
pulled you got one, and all those who didn't win did not fear prosecution because all information on non winners was
destroyed
.  All non winners just went on their merry way.  I will stress this was for Irish only, Hispanics need not apply.

Written By: McDonald on 03/30/06 at 11:46 am

Perhaps other countires do need to step it up a notch, but that absolutely NOTHING to do with desperate Mexicans sneaking into this country, because it's entirely infeasible to expect European countries to take in poor Mexicans when we are the bordering nation. What I am saying is we need to cut the Mexican illegals that are already in this country a break and say "fair enough," secure the border, and start working seriously with the Mexican government to improve the Mexican standard of living. That means some huge changes down there, not the least of which is population control.

For you free trade fans, NAFTA has seriously impacted the Mexican economy in a negative way, and has basically acted as a private rewards club for American and Canadian companies (not to mention the Japanese). Canada's economy wins because now they can continue to trade over 80% of their raw material exports with the US but at low tariff rates, and not only that, but Japanese car manufacturers can now build their autos more cheaply in Canada, and send them to be sold in the US at reduced tarriffs. American companies of all colours win because they can send their manufacturing jobs down to certain areas of Mexico where their items can also be made more cheaply than in the US, but where they can also get away with paying dirt cheap wages for back-breaking labour, and on top of it all, they can import it back into the US with little or no tarriffs. Thus, the US and Canada benefit immensely while the Mexicans continue to suffer. So not only have we not helped ourselves by helping the Mexican economy, but we've hurt ourselves immigration-wise by continuing with NAFTA as it stands and making the Mexican economy worse. And we wonder why people are literally dying to get across the border.

You might feel like shirking the big guy responsibilty now that we might have to spend our tax dollars helping the Mexicans, but where were those same anti-big guy and fiscally conservative sentiments when the subject under discussion was the Iraqi invasion? It seems to me that plenty of the people (not all, but plenty) here who don't feel like living up to our responsibilities as the big guys in this situation felt totally comfortable in that position when we were about to kick the sh*t out of another country, or when we felt we just HAD to fight world Communism during the Cold War. Anyway, I'm starting to digress a little bit.

We wouldn't just be helping Mexicans by seriously working with the Mexican government to imporve Mexico, we'd be helping ourselves by relieving the stressor that is forcing and I do mean forcing deperate Mexicans to make the deadly 80 mile trek across the desert and into the promised land.

As for the illegal Irish, I saw their little demonstration on TV, and all I could say was "wah wah.  :\'(" My opinion is, and I say this even as someone with Irish heritage, GO BACK! Ireland is a great country to live in, and if you still would rather be in the US, then that's fine. It's not like it's too very hard for a European to get legal work here. Go back and come here legally, for chrissake! And if for some reason you don't make it, try for Canada, and if that falls through: TOUGH COOKIES! I guess you'll have to be content with living in Ireland, a free country with a rapid-fire economy, universal healthcare, EU status, a strong currency etc... ::Sigh:: so destitute, I know  ::).

Written By: McDonald on 03/30/06 at 11:58 am

OK, maybe I came off a little harsh on the illegal Irish. Don't get me wrong, I love Irish people, I come from a strong Gaelic background on my father's side, have a Gaelic surname, and nothing pleases me more than to see Irish and Scottish people living in this country and in Canada and doing well for themselves, and connecting their people on this continent with those across the pond. However, I think they need to enter this country legally, especially since they face no crisis at home in Ireland.

Beannachta

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 12:14 pm

Wrong.  For one thing, there is a distinction between somebody who enters the country illegally, and somebody who overstays their visa.

For another, we did not get married because of her immigration status.  In fact, it was not even discovered until a few weeks before we got married.  And it was not discovered until after we got the marriage license.  We did not get married to prevent her being deported.  Our marriage was not fraudulent in order to get her a green card.

And she did not even need me in the first place.  When she applied for her "green card", she talked to her lawayer about how to apply.  She was eligable under 4 different qualifications.  The one she used was the amnesty in place at the time.  In addition, she could have claimed Political Amnesty, since her family moved here because of the "Dirty Wars".  She also had a daughter that was born here as the result of a rape, her third qualifier.  Then finally, she could have applied as the spouse of a US Citizen.

In addition, she could simply have extended her Visa, or applied for a WOrking VIsa.  But since she had no intention of ever returning to Argentina, she did not persue this route at all.  That would have actually been the easiest route to take.

Do not confuse our situation with those who get married simply as a way to get a green card.  Within 6 months of discovering the problem, she got one, and without our marriage even being a factor.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 12:21 pm

*gratuitous poke*

No, the only laws that are enacted retroactively are ones that affect taxes and gun ownership.  Oh, and people who are dead.  The wording of the law is to catch those who get married in order to prevent deportation (like the movie Green Card with G

Written By: danootaandme on 03/30/06 at 1:48 pm

Wrong.  For one thing, there is a distinction between somebody who enters the country illegally, and somebody who overstays their visa.

People who overstay their visas are here illegally.  In order to be legal they have to extend their visas before they expire.  Ignorance of the
the expiration is not an excuse.  Having known people who have overstayed their visas I can say that with out qualification.  There are illegals who came here on a visa under the quise of being on vacation, when the intent is to stay.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 2:21 pm

People who overstay their visas are here illegally.  In order to be legal they have to extend their visas before they expire.  Ignorance of the
the expiration is not an excuse.  Having known people who have overstayed their visas I can say that with out qualification.  There are illegals who came here on a visa under the quise of being on vacation, when the intent is to stay.

I agree with you there.  To me, a lot of it boils down to their intentions.

Sometimes a person overstays their visa for academic reasons, or because of situations outside of their control.  You also have those who are afraid to go home (disaster or revolution in home country are good examples of this).  Then you have the ones that overstay their visa with no intention of either going home or becomming a legal Resident or citizen.

The second class, they normally do not do anything to try and fix this until after they are caught by INS.  "Parasite" is to strong a word to use, but the basic idea is there.

I worked for a guy that fell under the first class.  He was here in the US when his home country fell to a religious revolution.  Since he was of a minorty religion, he choose to stay here.  When his student visa expired, he did not renew it for fear that it would be denied and he would be deported.  When an amnesty came up, he was one of the first ones to use it however.

You have some people who use the visa process to enter the country with the sole intention of living in the United States.  And there is already a process in place to let people like that stay here.  Most times, all you need is a sponsor.

I know the case with my ex and her family is an unusual one.  Her father lied to all of them, telling them that they had 6 year visas.  However, within 1 year of the discovery of that deception, all 3 had been granted Resident Alien status.  And for those that are paranoid of the Government, you should have seen what the response of the military was when they realized I married an Illegal Alien.  All they said was to get that fixed.  It was not reported, and it was never held against her nor me.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 3:21 pm

I know some people who have Green Cards and have been here for like 10 years on them...one of them is my best friend's mother, from Brazil, but she's currently applying for citizenship. Another is a secret. My hairdresser married her gay Italian best friend because he was going to be deported back to Italy, and she passes as his beard wife to his family back in Naples, who would kill him if they found out he was gay. I think he plans to apply for individual citizenship once she marries her boyfriend the plumber.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 4:41 pm

I know some people who have Green Cards and have been here for like 10 years on them.

Getting citizenship itself can be a long and expensive procedure.  This is why most people simply go to the step of getting their Permanent Resident Alien card ("green card"), and stop there.  Those cards are pretty much permanent, unless you commit a crime.

My ex got her "Temporary Resident" card in 1986.  She got her Permanent Alien card in 1990.  And that is as far as she has ever gone either.  About the only difference it makes is that she can not vote, and if she ever travels outside of the US, she still uses her Argentina Passport.

In fact, even then she would probably never leave the country.  Argentina is one of the countries that recognizes Dual Citizenship, and which does recognize the right of a citizen to renounce their citizenship.  When my sister-in-law went to Argentina in 1991, they grabbed her at the airport as she tried to leave, even though she was a US Citizen traveling on a US Passport.  They held her in detention for over a week, and it was only because of the pressure from the US Ambassy and that she was Pregnant that they let her go.  And she was only 12 when they fled the country.

During our entire marriage, she only left the country once, and that was for a 1 day visit to Mexico.  I turned down all offers for extended tours overseas because of worries about her possibly being extradited to Argentina.  The US refuses to extradite anybody who was convicted in absentia during the "Dirty Wars", unless there is some concrete proof that they comitted a crime.  Of that I am very thankfull.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 6:21 pm

I love when people so purposfully mangle the name of something, where it makes it almost impossible to find it.

The correct name is the Border Security bill, which was sponsored by Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner .

Here is the full text of the bill if anybody else wants to see what it really says:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h109-4437

Written By: STAR70 on 03/30/06 at 6:23 pm

the second her visa expired she became an illegal alien who should have been deported for breaking federal laws.

For another, we did not get married because of her immigration status.  In fact, it was not even discovered until a few weeks before we got married.  And it was not discovered until after we got the marriage license.

ignorance of the law has never been a defence. if that were the case, murderers would be able to say, "Gee whiz, You Honor, I didn't know that homicide was illegal!"

And she did not even need me in the first place.  When she applied for her "green card", she talked to her lawayer about how to apply.  She was eligable under 4 different qualifications.  The one she used was the amnesty in place at the time.  In addition, she could have claimed Political Amnesty, since her family moved here because of the "Dirty Wars".

the Dirty Wars ended in about 1983 with the election of Alfonsin in Argentina after the Faulkland Island war. It seems that she has once again overstayed her welcome.

She also had a daughter that was born here as the result of a rape, her third qualifier.

the supporters of the SenselessBitcher Bill (HR4437) are opposed to so-called "Anchor Baby" citizenship. SOME ARE ADVOCATING THE REPEAL OF THE 14TH AMENDMENT !!!

Then finally, she could have applied as the spouse of a US Citizen.

...with said marriage occuring after her visa expired. Pretty convenient.

Written By: STAR70 on 03/30/06 at 7:45 pm

The correct name is the Border Security bill, which was sponsored by Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner .

http://la.indymedia.org/uploads/2006/03/sensenbrenner_fuhrer.jpgmid.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/06 at 12:03 pm

the Dirty Wars ended in about 1983 with the election of Alfonsin in Argentina after the Faulkland Island war. It seems that she has once again overstayed her welcome.

You do not have to tell me when they ended.  But guess what, that does not matter a whole lot.  Her sister was picked up in 1992, 13 years after they left the country.  And 9 years after the fall of the Military Junta.  But the criminal charges against her and her family are still in place.  I am still thankfull that we were able to get her back.

This topic is becomming to mindless.  Have fun with your bashing, I am outta here.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/31/06 at 12:08 pm

You're a pretty sad person when you have to take a sh*t on someone's wife. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 1:01 pm

thank you! I agree with this statement. Why are they bitching...they shouldn't even be here.  Our country sucks already for it's own citizens....why should they think they can/should get special privileges?

Yes, maybe their jobs are crappy, but at least they HAVE jobs. I know many US citizens who cannot even find a lame, minimum wage job...and can't even afford enough to support their families.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it true that these illegal aliens can get welfare, and also health benefits?  I don't know if this is true or not, I have heard of it before...but if it is true....how is that even fair?  I have also known people who have been in a financial rut, yet, they "made too much money to get some help"....and regarding the whole health insurance....I know MANY (including myself)...who currently do not have any health insurance.

I don't know...the whole thing makes me really mad, and I am already in a pissy mood today...I wish I had not stumbled upon this thread and read the whole thing...because it just disgusted me.

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/06 at 1:14 pm

thank you! I agree with this statement. Why are they bitching...they shouldn't even be here.  Our country sucks already for it's own citizens....why should they think they can/should get special privileges?

Yes, maybe their jobs are crappy, but at least they HAVE jobs. I know many US citizens who cannot even find a lame, minimum wage job...and can't even afford enough to support their families.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it true that these illegal aliens can get welfare, and also health benefits?  I don't know if this is true or not, I have heard of it before...but if it is true....how is that even fair?  I have also known people who have been in a financial rut, yet, they "made too much money to get some help"....and regarding the whole health insurance....I know MANY (including myself)...who currently do not have any health insurance.

I don't know...the whole thing makes me really mad, and I am already in a pissy mood today...I wish I had not stumbled upon this thread and read the whole thing...because it just disgusted me.

The Liberals would have us believe that because these people have struggled through adversity that they should be given a break here in the United States.

WRONG! They were born in to poverty, tough shiit. I'm terribly sorry that they have to live in filth, I'm sure it's not fun, but I'd rather they lived in filth and just died than have us have to pay for them.
It's ridiculous to think that the average American citizen should have to pay to keep these people in relative comfort when our own people are starving, ill, unemployed, homeless.

As you pointed out there are millions in the U.S without health insurance. They're far more important than a load of border jumpers who shouldn't even be here.
I take a harsh stance on this because I get angry with the ridiculous Liberals talking about how hard it is for these guys to survive.

It's hard for regular Americans to survive, let the mexicans rot.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/31/06 at 1:38 pm

The Liberals would have us believe that because these people have struggled through adversity that they should be given a break here in the United States.

WRONG! They were born in to poverty, tough shiit. I'm terribly sorry that they have to live in filth, I'm sure it's not fun, but I'd rather they lived in filth and just died than have us have to pay for them.
It's ridiculous to think that the average American citizen should have to pay to keep these people in relative comfort when our own people are starving, ill, unemployed, homeless.

As you pointed out there are millions in the U.S without health insurance. They're far more important than a load of border jumpers who shouldn't even be here.
I take a harsh stance on this because I get angry with the ridiculous Liberals talking about how hard it is for these guys to survive.

There are currently millions of unemployed Americans, but they demand money for their jobs, so corporations won't hire them. You know, if we cut off the supply, it would force corporations to hire Americans and BE American.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/06 at 2:40 pm

They were born in to poverty, tough shiit. I'm terribly sorry that they have to live in filth, I'm sure it's not fun, but I'd rather they lived in filth and just died than have us have to pay for them.

That's unnecessarily harsh.  Nobody deserves to die or be born into poverty.  It happens, they have to deal with it, but you don't have to say it like that.

I agree with you here.

Still harsh.  My understanding is that the Mexican government actually encourages illegal immigration because they know that they cannot support all their people at present.  Rather than making sweeping policy changes in their own nation, they are trying to either buy more time or dump their problems onto the USA.  So it's not the individual citizens of Mexico that are completely to blame, it's their government for either not caring or being unable to care.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/06 at 2:42 pm

There are currently millions of unemployed Americans, but they demand money for their jobs, so corporations won't hire them. You know, if we cut off the supply, it would force corporations to hire Americans and BE American.

You cannot, however, prevent the companies from outsourcing their entry-level jobs to foreign nations, which is another story altogether  :-\\  And if you do, the companies will pick up and move to areas with lesser business restrictions.  This is, on a smaller scale, why businesses are leaving California in droves to get to Texas, Nevada, and Arizona.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/31/06 at 4:23 pm

After seeing the demonstrations I say give all those guys green cards.  If they can mobilize like that then maybe with them we can light a fire in the labor movement in the USA. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 5:41 pm

After seeing the demonstrations I say give all those guys green cards.  If they can mobilize like that then maybe with them we can light a fire in the labor movement in the USA. 

I know!  I saw the footage of them today on the news.  Even thousands of High School students in places like Los Angeles and Las Vegas walked out in protests.  It was interesting to watch, the protests all looked very large and passionate.  Have the days of Cesar Chavez returned?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/31/06 at 6:27 pm

I know!  I saw the footage of them today on the news.  Even thousands of High School students in places like Los Angeles and Las Vegas walked out in protests.  It was interesting to watch, the protests all looked very large and passionate.  Have the days of Cesar Chavez returned?

That is a nice thought  :)

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/06 at 6:36 pm

Hopefully not, the last thing we need is a load of uppity hot blooded immigrants

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 6:38 pm

I just still cannot see/understand their reasoning as to why they are so mad....I mean, what do they really expect? ::)

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/06 at 6:39 pm

I just still cannot see/understand their reasoning as to why they are so mad....I mean, what do they really expect? ::)

Everything free.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 6:40 pm

Everything free.

or so it seems....but can they not see that our own US citizens are struggling and are not getting much help via the government either....how can they possibly expect to get things that true Americans don't even get? ::) ???

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 6:42 pm

Hopefully not, the last thing we need is a load of uppity hot blooded immigrants

I'd be p!ssed too.  And while I don't agree with the way they came in, I don't think they should be deported.

Protest on I say! If they held them here, I'd consider joining in myself.

Everything free.

That's a load of B.S.  Do you even know any of them? They've very hard-working people; they're hardly sitting around waiting for a handout.  Good job trying to lump a minority stereotype on to immigrants.

or so it seems....but can they not see that our own US citizens are struggling and are not getting much help via the government either....how can they possibly expect to get things that true Americans don't even get? ::) ???

They don't.  They are hear working and making a living for their families.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 6:59 pm

They don't.  They are hear working and making a living for their families.

I am not denying that they are working and supporting their families...but what really pisses me off is the fact that they are reaping benefits that even a great deal of US citizens don't have the chance to have. Yes, they may have sh!tty jobs...but at least they have jobs...a lot of Americans CANNOT find work...and they themselves have to work 1 or 2 minimum wage jobs just to be able to get by and support their families. Yes...it's a shame that their own countries cannot help them out...but why must the US always be the ones that have to bail every needy person out, while it's own citizens are hanging by a thread and unable to get any kind of help? ???

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/06 at 8:51 pm

I am not denying that they are working and supporting their families...but what really pisses me off is the fact that they are reaping benefits that even a great deal of US citizens don't have the chance to have. Yes, they may have sh!tty jobs...but at least they have jobs...a lot of Americans CANNOT find work...and they themselves have to work 1 or 2 minimum wage jobs just to be able to get by and support their families. Yes...it's a shame that their own countries cannot help them out...but why must the US always be the ones that have to bail every needy person out, while it's own citizens are hanging by a thread and unable to get any kind of help? ???

It seems to me, that the old adage is true.

We need to get our own house in order before working on others.

Written By: McDonald on 03/31/06 at 10:42 pm

Not to mention kinky!  :D

But seriously folks, ad hominem attacks on spouses is no laughing matter. I think they cut your balls off for that in Afghanistan...

Written By: STAR70 on 04/01/06 at 2:17 pm

*PLOP* A-A-A-AHHHHH, BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD!!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 04/01/06 at 2:19 pm

But seriously folks, ad hominem attacks on spouses is no laughing matter. I think they cut your balls off for that in Afghanistan...

is that BEFORE or AFTER they behead you???  :D :D :D

Written By: STAR70 on 04/01/06 at 2:35 pm

MORE PIXX!!!

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/03/151415_comment.php#151418

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/01/06 at 7:06 pm

America isn't now.

Give me one good example of a country in Central or South America where the citizens have suceeded to make their situation better...I honestly don't know of an example....and what if some people who are coming into this country illegally are being persecuted by the government of whereever they came from, and they live in fear for their lives? Yes, there are countries like that in Central and South America.
Yes we need to limit immigration, but we also need to look at what circumstances some of these people might have come from.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/06 at 8:24 pm

Yes we need to limit immigration, but we also need to look at what circumstances some of these people might have come from.

true, but there are people in our country who are US citizens who have come from horrible situations, yet they don't receive any special treatment....so why should these illegal immigrants?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/01/06 at 9:34 pm

Sorry to be a repeater pencil, but this issue is a red herring. It is only the first of several divisive issues the ruling class will feed to their media lapdogs in order to keep the population's attention off of the criminal enterprise running our government. If the FOGOP can maintain their majorities in the Congress this November and take the White House in '08, the transition from corporate-directed pseuod-democracy to true-blue fascism will be complete. SOOOO...be prepared to be distracted and frightened over any number of bogus issues and violent actions in the next couple of years.

There is no America (and no Mexico, et al.) when it comes the "illegal immigration" issue. The nation-state is a dying form of governance. Now it is all about the international corporatist cabal making war on the international proletariat...and whose side are YOU on?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/01/06 at 10:01 pm

Sorry to be a repeater pencil, but this issue is a red herring. It is only the first of several divisive issues the ruling class will feed to their media lapdogs in order to keep the population's attention off of the criminal enterprise running our government. If the FOGOP can maintain their majorities in the Congress this November and take the White House in '08, the transition from corporate-directed pseuod-democracy to true-blue fascism will be complete. SOOOO...be prepared to be distracted and frightened over any number of bogus issues and violent actions in the next couple of years.

There is no America (and no Mexico, et al.) when it comes the "illegal immigration" issue. The nation-state is a dying form of governance. Now it is all about the international corporatist cabal making war on the international proletariat...and whose side are YOU on?

Good point, Maxwell.  I agree completely, the nation-state is on it's way out.  By the end of this century it will be or will be close to a defunct form of governance. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 12:47 am

Good point, Maxwell.  I agree completely, the nation-state is on it's way out.  By the end of this century it will be or will be close to a defunct form of governance. 

Meh. Not if the 2010s-2020s backlash agains this happens.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/02/06 at 12:58 am

Meh. Not if the 2010s-2020s backlash agains this happens.

I'm in favor of it ultimately.  Once upon a time people would have scoffed at the idea of nation-states, just as they scoff at global governance now. 

Written By: McDonald on 04/03/06 at 8:32 am

I'm pretty sure that nation-states will be around for much longer than any of us will live out. People are used to them and are comfortable with them as well.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 8:33 am

Give me one good example of a country in Central or South America where the citizens have suceeded to make their situation better...I honestly don't know of an example.

So why do we want them here, they're obviously useless.

Written By: McDonald on 04/03/06 at 9:59 am

I expect they're not nearly as useless as those who presume a aire of superiority about themselves simply because of the race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, or class they were born into. People like that tend to be lazy bastards, unlike your average Central American, who works for a living.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 10:03 am

First, maybe you should read the history of U.S. companies and the CIA in South American countries.
United Fruit Company would be a good start.

Personally I would like to see a one for one trade.  We get an immigrant who will vote, they get the "citizen" who doesn't vote,  we get someone who won't cross a picket line, they get the scab, they get
a trust funder, we get a worker.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 10:51 am

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.  I also know that a majority of the ones I know are committing insurance fraud by using the Medicaid benefits for someone who is a legal citizen.  When my best friend worked for a medical clinic, they found at least 14 women who were using the same medicaid benefits in one case.  They never would've been caught if 2 of them hadn't made an appointment with the same doctor in the same day and it triggered a red flag.

If 14 women are using the medicaid benefits subsribed for one person, then I would say the doctor and
the clinic are hauling in medicaid money by the truckload.  The biggest theives of medicaid dollars aren't
immigrants, it is doctors, clinics, and hospitals.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/03/06 at 11:02 am

If 14 women are using the medicaid benefits subsribed for one person, then I would say the doctor and
the clinic are hauling in medicaid money by the truckload.  The biggest theives of medicaid dollars aren't
immigrants, it is doctors, clinics, and hospitals.

That still doesn't make it right for people to take advantage of the system.

Written By: McDonald on 04/03/06 at 12:03 pm

That still doesn't make it right for people to take advantage of the system.

The diadvantaged must sometimes take advantage just to stay afloat. Right and wrong is rarely cut and dry. You'd do it if you felt you had to.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/03/06 at 12:09 pm

The diadvantaged must sometimes take advantage just to stay afloat. Right and wrong is rarely cut and dry. You'd do it if you felt you had to.

I'm not disagreeing with you as to the "why" they do it, I'm saying that it isn't right and to say "Well, THEY'RE doing it so why shouldn't I?" is also not right.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 3:50 pm

First, maybe you should read the history of U.S. companies and the CIA in South American countries.
United Fruit Company would be a good start.

Personally I would like to see a one for one trade.  We get an immigrant who will vote, they get the "citizen" who doesn't vote,  we get someone who won't cross a picket line, they get the scab, they get
a trust funder, we get a worker.

So, you're a union lover.

What a shock  ;D

Yes of course, everyone who crosses picket lines is a scab, after all, they want to support their familys and work.
People like you sicken me sometimes. You have such ridiculous double standards.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 3:52 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you as to the "why" they do it, I'm saying that it isn't right and to say "Well, THEY'RE doing it so why shouldn't I?" is also not right.

I tend to sympathize with the disadvantaged, since most of us teeter on that brink I would expect more
of that.  What I don't understand is people are so ready to jump on people who have nothing and are
scrambling for the basic necessities, but get very quiet when it comes to jumping on the real culprits. 
If there are degrees of wrong who is more wrong, women without healthcare scamming for a check up,
or the doctors and pocketing money entering phony claims to pay for their BMWs?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 3:55 pm

People like you sicken me sometimes.

Well get out the Maalox, you ain't seen nothing yet?  8)

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:06 pm

Well get out the Maalox, you ain't seen nothing yet?  8)

You seem to think that everybody that hasn't lived a life of unrelenting pain is obviously so undeserving of everything they get.
They've managed to buy a house and a car, oohh, they must be trust fund babies  ::)

No, could it be that they just work hard, don't strike at every given opportunity, have the werwithal to save money..

You'll say to me that I see everything in black and white, obviously you do as well.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/03/06 at 4:07 pm

What a shock  ;D

Yes of course, everyone who crosses picket lines is a scab, after all, they want to support their familys and work.

I think overall, unions are a good thing because they protect workers' rights and provide benefits.  What irks me is when they resort to strong-arm tactics that not all union workers agree with, which seems to irk you as well.  I used to belong to a union when I worked in grocery, and I have experienced positives and negatives.  The positive was in knowing that after a three month elimination period, all union workers would receive full medical and dental benefits (of course, I'm sure the union dues paid for that anyway).  The negative was that when I had an issue with my boss that when researched, was clearly against union bylaws, the union did not step in to help at all.

I couldn't quote Danoota's post above, but I don't see anything wrong with someone receiving a trust fund.  When I finish school I plan to save a substantial amount towards retirement and the betterment of my family, less charitable contributions of which I give much.  Is there anything inherently wrong with leaving my progeny better off than I?  I think not.

I tend to sympathize with the disadvantaged, since most of us teeter on that brink I would expect more
of that.  What I don't understand is people are so ready to jump on people who have nothing and are
scrambling for the basic necessities, but get very quiet when it comes to jumping on the real culprits. 
If there are degrees of wrong who is more wrong, women without healthcare scamming for a check up,
or the doctors and pocketing money entering phony claims to pay for their BMWs?

I understand what you are saying, but both are still illegal.  You probably don't think in absolutes like I do, but committing any kind of fraud should be punished in proportionate degrees.  I can personally say that the system disadvantages people like my wife and I for reasons I cannot comprehend.  When we attempted to get unemployment and cash assistance, we were turned down because our families made too much money.  Yet while I worked at the grocery store I told you about above, I saw literally hundreds of customers who didn't speak a lick of English use their food stamps like they were entitled to it and even allowed their kids to punch in the PIN code.  I saw almost as many use their cash benefits to buy beer and cigarettes.  To qualify, I am a LEGAL immigrant that spent six years on a visa and eight years as a permanent resident before becoming a citizen.  My wife's family has a long history of exemplary military service.  We got nothing.

They cut in line, and that is wrong too.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 4:07 pm

To be totally honest, I'd like to see millions of illegal immigrants rounded up and booted out of the country to teach the corporations a lesson about cheating true Americans.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/03/06 at 4:08 pm

You'll say to me that I see everything in black and white, obviously you do as well.

It would behoove us all to start seeing things in shades of gray as well.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:09 pm

To be totally honest, I'd like to see millions of illegal immigrants rounded up and booted out of the country to teach the corporations a lesson about cheating true Americans.

Here! Here!

Good call.

To be fair, yes, big corporations are partially responsible for many of these people being here.. and you're right, they are cheating america.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:10 pm

It would behoove us all to start seeing things in shades of gray as well.

True true.

I can be very conceited and stubborn with what I think, but at the same time, I am willing to at least listen to others and make an attempt to come at an issue from a different direction, t'would be nice to see others make that leap as well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 4:11 pm

I think the overwhelming majority of American opinion is heavily against these illegal immigrants, and soon we're going to see mass deportations.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:14 pm

I think the overwhelming majority of American opinion is heavily against these illegal immigrants, and soon we're going to see mass deportations.

I doubt that.
Much as I'd like to see it Mass deportations just aren't feasible.

I think the borders should for all intents and purposes be sealed though.

I think we need an immigration policy similar to the australian one, a strict vetting process.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 4:15 pm

I doubt that.
Much as I'd like to see it Mass deportations just aren't feasible.

I think the borders should for all intents and purposes be sealed though.

I think we need an immigration policy similar to the australian one, a strict vetting process.

Then what's going to happen to the illegals after the legislation is passed?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 4:37 pm

You seem to think that everybody that hasn't lived a life of unrelenting pain is obviously so undeserving of everything they get.
They've managed to buy a house and a car, oohh, they must be trust fund babies  ::)

No, could it be that they just work hard, don't strike at every given opportunity, have the werwithal to save money..

Your characterizations of what you believe my beliefs are are way off the mark.  I have managed to buy a house, car, and a few extras, that does not make me a trust funder, and leaving all this to my son will not make him one.  A trust funder is a person who has all of the advantages, and the money, and takes none of the responsibility of what it means to be an American. Paris Hilton, comes to mind.  You seem not to have a handle on the degrees of wealth and privilege, and how it is the ancestors of the working people of the USA have come to enjoy the standard of living that they do.  I have ancestors who were in unions(at Homestead no less), and unable to get into unions.  If you think strikes are reasons not to work, done for any reason, then your understanding of labor history is shallow at best.  I have never been accused of seeing anything in black and white, just the opposite as a matter of fact; too many shades of gray.  But at least I see it with eyes wide open.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 4:53 pm

The doctors accept a lower fee for their services from medicaid than they do any other private health insurance or regular individual so I don't really see how they are "stealing medicaid dollars".  The service they provide is the same....many do not even know how the patient is paying.  These women were receiving the services and not paying a dime, but their actions are justified?

The doctors bill medicaid, medicaid pays the claim.  Doctors have been bagged to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars for fraudulent claims for services not rendered.  The women don't pocket any money, the doctors do. It doesn't matter if it is higher or lower, it is still cash in hand. If 14 women were using one medicaid card(which is issued to a social security number) who was checking the chart of the person this was listed on the card?  "Hello Mrs Rodriquez, nice to see you again this month, I see you have been here 7 times this month already.  How is the child, must be 3 months old by now and you are expecting the next one in two months.  Must be exciting for you especially since I also see from you chart that your surgery last month removed your uterus.  For a woman of 57 that is quiet an accomplishment."  To be honest, if you were pregnant and needed help and someone said here is a way for you to get help, what would you do? Here is a link from Virginia that gives a good example of what doctors and nursing homes do.

www.oag.state.va.us/Protecting/mfcu/mfcu.htm

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:54 pm

Then what's going to happen to the illegals after the legislation is passed?

I really don't know.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:55 pm

Your characterizations of what you believe my beliefs are are way off the mark.  I have managed to buy a house, car, and a few extras, that does not make me a trust funder, and leaving all this to my son will not make him one.  A trust funder is a person who has all of the advantages, and the money, and takes none of the responsibility of what it means to be an American. Paris Hilton, comes to mind.  You seem not to have a handle on the degrees of wealth and privilege, and how it is the ancestors of the working people of the USA have come to enjoy the standard of living that they do.  I have ancestors who were in unions(at Homestead no less), and unable to get into unions.  If you think strikes are reasons not to work, done for any reason, then your understanding of labor history is shallow at best.  I have never been accused of seeing anything in black and white, just the opposite as a matter of fact; too many shades of gray.  But at least I see it with eyes wide open.

Yet whenever a contentious issue is raised, you're up in arms for the little man?

What you say here seems very different to what you've said before.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 4:58 pm

Yet whenever a contentious issue is raised, you're up in arms for the little man?

What you say here seems very different to what you've said before.

Then you are unfamiliar with me and my opinions.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 5:03 pm

Then you are unfamiliar with me and my opinions.

Oh well, as long as you are willing to at least maintain tone hopefully I can get to understand them.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/06 at 5:21 pm

Oh well, as long as you are willing to at least maintain tone hopefully I can get to understand them.

Two way street  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 7:36 pm

What a shock  ;D

Shep, you may feel like a macho man siding with the fascists today, but tomorrow when the fascists no longer have any use for you, they'll toss you overboard without a second thought like the worthless piece of jetsam you are to them.  Organized labor has been systematically destroyed in this country over the past thirty years, and it is no coincidence that our wages, security, and economic health has deteriorated sharply since the mid-1970s. When they give you the economic run-down on TV, they always do it from the Wall Street parasite's perspective. If you don't, you're fired, just like Bill Moyers.

The only hope for the working classes (ie. those who cannot live off of capital) is to organize labor at all costs. Right now the workers of the world are getting screwed by the bosses' race to the bottom. The trouble is, there is no bottom.

Remember, there are no Americans, no Mexicans, no Chinese, and no Indians in this struggle. We the international proletariat are all in the same boat.  Don't let the fascist bosses con you into thinking your worth any more to them than a migrant who just swam the Rio Grande, or a Chinese laborer working pennies a day. You are not.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 10:22 pm

Shep, you may feel like a macho man siding with the fascists today, but tomorrow when the fascists no longer have any use for you, they'll toss you overboard without a second thought like the worthless piece of jetsam you are to them.  Organized labor has been systematically destroyed in this country over the past thirty years, and it is no coincidence that our wages, security, and economic health has deteriorated sharply since the mid-1970s. When they give you the economic run-down on TV, they always do it from the Wall Street parasite's perspective. If you don't, you're fired, just like Bill Moyers.

The only hope for the working classes (ie. those who cannot live off of capital) is to organize labor at all costs. Right now the workers of the world are getting screwed by the bosses' race to the bottom. The trouble is, there is no bottom.

Remember, there are no Americans, no Mexicans, no Chinese, and no Indians in this struggle. We the international proletariat are all in the same boat.  Don't let the fascist bosses con you into thinking your worth any more to them than a migrant who just swam the Rio Grande, or a Chinese laborer working pennies a day. You are not.

It's phrases like international proletariat that scare me. That sounds like devolution of nations.

You know..

You consistently say interesting and though provoking things, but take them to such extremes.

I would agree to a certain extent. Big companys really don't care about the working man, wether he makes $25K a year or $250K a year, that's chump change to the big CEO'S. At the same time, you seem to not appreciate the fact that there are millions of us who still take pride in what we do and who we are.

Max, do you have problems with the concept of seperate nations?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/03/06 at 11:02 pm

I do to a certain point, Shepherd. I feel the fact we're still politically seperate is ridiculous.  Especially with the interconnected world economy we have today.

And mark my words, nation-states will die out.  You can laugh at me and call me a loon now, but history will prove me right.  At one time people would have scoffed at the idea of warring cities and feudal kingdoms coming together to form whole nations, just like people scoff at the idea of a global political union now.  However necessity is the mother of invention, and right now we have international companies running the world economy with very shoddy regulation.  Its like an economic Wild West.  And the reason is we now have an international economy that doesn't have the proper institutions for it's management.  Nation-states are not a concept made to deal with one global economy.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/03/06 at 11:04 pm

Its like the U.S. of the latter half of the 19th century, on a global scale.  There is tremendous economic growth, but in a largely un-regulated and laissez faire way.  Eventually, some type of regulation will have to come in to place.

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 3:50 am

Max, do you have problems with the concept of seperate nations?

The problem is that many companies are multi-national now.  This means that they will take their work to the cheapest place and will trade one factory against another.  So a plant in Germany is threatened with closure because its cheaper to do the work in China or wherever.  The only way that German factory can stay open is by the workers taking huge pay and benefits cuts and shift wworking (or whatever).  Many large unions are banding together in different companies (my own has links to unions in mainland Europe and USA) to ensure decent conditions for all workers wherever they are.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/04/06 at 4:32 am

At the same time, you seem to not appreciate the fact that there are millions of us who still take pride in what we do and who we are.

The implication being that if we are union workers, or arguing against corporate paternalism we do not?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 6:03 am

I do to a certain point, Shepherd. I feel the fact we're still politically seperate is ridiculous.  Especially with the interconnected world economy we have today.

And mark my words, nation-states will die out.  You can laugh at me and call me a loon now, but history will prove me right.  At one time people would have scoffed at the idea of warring cities and feudal kingdoms coming together to form whole nations, just like people scoff at the idea of a global political union now.  However necessity is the mother of invention, and right now we have international companies running the world economy with very shoddy regulation.  Its like an economic Wild West.  And the reason is we now have an international economy that doesn't have the proper institutions for it's management.  Nation-states are not a concept made to deal with one global economy.

Hate to say it, but you sound like a loon.

Written By: McDonald on 04/04/06 at 10:01 am

You probably don't think in absolutes like I do

Hey, only a sith thinks in absolutes Anekin!

Written By: danootaandme on 04/04/06 at 3:29 pm

No worse that implying that all doctors are corrupt and scamming the medicaid system....sure, there are a few who are, but a majority of them are not ;)

Once again, it comes down to absolutes.  Sure, there are some illegal aliens who are NOT trying to take advantage of "the system", but there are quite a few who are.  It's those who are who are ruining the chance of getting ANYTHING for those who aren't. 

I never implyed that ALL doctors are corrupt, just as I do not imply that ALL illegals are honest hard working people.  There are bad on both sides, but it is a fact that the bulk of fraudulent charges to
medicaid are by the few corrupt doctors who are, having gotten my mother away from one of them
I know how much more damage they can do then an illegal.

It is not those who are taking advantage who are ruining the chances of others getting ANYTHING for those who aren't.  It is the people who fall for they hype and decide to punish all for the actions of the few who are ruining it .

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/04/06 at 4:21 pm

I just don't get how people can justify doing so.

They justify it because they can get away with it.  There are laws in place to prevent this, but people either look the other way in not enforcing those laws, or if someone does try to enforce the laws, the racism card is played.  And so it goes on.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/04/06 at 4:47 pm

They justify it because they can get away with it.  There are laws in place to prevent this, but people either look the other way in not enforcing those laws, or if someone does try to enforce the laws, the racism card is played.  And so it goes on.

But, being in a business that is rampant with illegals I do see the blatant racism in it.  I noted in a previous post the "Irish lottery" open only to Irish illegals, I see it in the fondness for stories of those of Italian descent who speak fondly of their grandmothers, who never learned to speak English and came with their whole families(WithOutPapers) , at the same time complaining about people who speak Spanish. 
The Immigrant experience and the attitudes attending them are not much different than the ones experienced by the Irish, Italians, Chinese, Japanese, African Americans (who up until recently have been treated as immigrants in their own country).  I, think that is why I get so defensive about it.  Living in the area I do, I and many people I knkow have been branded "you people" and "those people" so long and so often, I am fed up with it. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/04/06 at 9:11 pm

But, being in a business that is rampant with illegals I do see the blatant racism in it.  I noted in a previous post the "Irish lottery" open only to Irish illegals, I see it in the fondness for stories of those of Italian descent who speak fondly of their grandmothers, who never learned to speak English and came with their whole families(WithOutPapers) , at the same time complaining about people who speak Spanish. 
The Immigrant experience and the attitudes attending them are not much different than the ones experienced by the Irish, Italians, Chinese, Japanese, African Americans (who up until recently have been treated as immigrants in their own country).  I, think that is why I get so defensive about it.  Living in the area I do, I and many people I knkow have been branded "you people" and "those people" so long and so often, I am fed up with it. 

Karma+1 :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 9:30 pm

Italian immigrants were legal. Ever heard of Ellis Island? I hate all the bellyaching of illegals. Mexico's social problem shouldn't be our social problem, goddamnit.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/04/06 at 9:51 pm

Italian immigrants were legal. Ever heard of Ellis Island? I hate all the bellyaching of illegals. Mexico's social problem shouldn't be our social problem, goddamnit.

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. A large portion of the Italian immigrants were undocumented, i.e. without papers.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/04/06 at 9:56 pm

The one thing I agree with is that we shouldn't have to pay for other countries' deficiencies.  I know that not every country in the world has access to what we do here in the U.S.; I get that.  However, that doesn't mean you can all come here in droves and ILLEGALLY just to say that you're here.  Instead of running to the US just because your country sucks, why not try sticking around to help institute change in YOUR country so that it is a great place to live. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 10:00 pm

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. A large portion of the Italian immigrants were undocumented, i.e. without papers.

Yes, and they took the effort to learn English and get papers, something many Mexicans don't seem to want to do. I'm sick and tired of having to pay for Mexico's social problem becoming our social problem. Maybe other countries (Ireland, Russia, Israel, the Dominican Republic, Portugal, the Mideast, the West Indies, India, Bangladesh, China, the Philippines, other Latin American countries and Brazil) send illegal immigrants, but none seems to be as stubborn about it as Mexico in admitting their guilt. There's a difference between taking some Mexicans into our folds of Lady Liberty (LEGALLY)...and taking all your poor seasonally as a favor that strains us economically.

Wop definition-
(U.S. & UK Commonwealth) an Italian or other Southern European, especially an immigrant; probably originated in the U.S., but later spread to other countries. Probably derives from the Neapolitan slang term guappo! (pretty/handsome one), often used by the first immigrants from Italy to address or call to each other. Popular etymology gives the origin as "WithOut Passport", although some believe the acronym derived from "WithOut Papers" or "Without Official Papers", suggesting illegal immigration. This folk etymology sometimes associates combines the term with "guinea" to form "Giny Wop," with Giny being an acronym for Going Into New York, hence "Going Into New York Without Official Papers

Written By: La Roche on 04/04/06 at 11:20 pm

Yes, and they took the effort to learn English and get papers, something many Mexicans don't seem to want to do. I'm sick and tired of having to pay for Mexico's social problem becoming our social problem. Maybe other countries (Ireland, Russia, Israel, the Dominican Republic, Portugal, the Mideast, the West Indies, India, Bangladesh, China, the Philippines, other Latin American countries and Brazil) send illegal immigrants, but none seems to be as stubborn about it as Mexico in admitting their guilt. There's a difference between taking some Mexicans into our folds of Lady Liberty (LEGALLY)...and taking all your poor seasonally as a favor that strains us economically.

Wop definition-
(U.S. & UK Commonwealth) an Italian or other Southern European, especially an immigrant; probably originated in the U.S., but later spread to other countries. Probably derives from the Neapolitan slang term guappo! (pretty/handsome one), often used by the first immigrants from Italy to address or call to each other. Popular etymology gives the origin as "WithOut Passport", although some believe the acronym derived from "WithOut Papers" or "Without Official Papers", suggesting illegal immigration. This folk etymology sometimes associates combines the term with "guinea" to form "Giny Wop," with Giny being an acronym for Going Into New York, hence "Going Into New York Without Official Papers

Quite right.

I don't see why we should be forced to deal with other nations social problems, since when did we become the baysitter of the world.

The Liberals like to complain that the U.S Military involves it'self around the world, but are perfectly happy for us to be the world wide humanitarian bank. Make up your minds  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/05/06 at 3:45 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/05/06 at 4:56 pm

I'd karma you Danoota but it hasn't been 24 hours.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/05/06 at 6:02 pm

Quite right.

I don't see why we should be forced to deal with other nations social problems, since when did we become the baysitter of the world.

The Liberals like to complain that the U.S Military involves it'self around the world, but are perfectly happy for us to be the world wide humanitarian bank. Make up your minds  ::)

Hey, I'm a liberal. But I don't think we should either involve ourselves around the world militarily or be a "world-wide" humanitarian bank.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/06/06 at 6:18 pm

Hey, I'm a liberal. But I don't think we should either involve ourselves around the world militarily or be a "world-wide" humanitarian bank.

I think we should help with financial aid as much we as we can, but taking care of our problems here in the U.S.A. comes first.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/06 at 6:43 pm

Sorry, I must've misunderstood.  The question I have, though, is how is a doctor getting fraudulent benefits he's not entitled to different than an illegal getting benefits they're not entitled to?  Aren't they both "scamming the system"?   But, isn't that the way it is with everything?  There are a few corrupt CEO's and high-ranking officials and companies out of thousands (millions?), but that doesn't stop anyone from bashing "corporate America".

Well, as Ralph Nader points out, the vast majority of wicked things corporate executives do are not crooked or corrupt under our system, they are perfectly legal. After all, Corporat America OWNS so many politicians, they can just have any inconvenient law changed, any annoying regulation thrown out. The only reason the Enron guys are on trial is because regular old greed wasn't enough for them. Ken "Kenny Boy" Lay personally helped Dubya set up his ill-gotten White House in 2001, yet he and Jeff Skilling couldn't wait the few years it would take to make all the illegal crap they were doing legal. Enron was on super-charged greed! The longstanding theme in Corporate America is "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is ours," but the Enron boys wanted "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine, too!," and that's just a bridge too far, even for American dopes.

Sorry, I'm just tired of people using the "I'm poor" excuse for everything in this country.  I grew up without much and my parents never ONCE scammed the system or used that as an excuse for anything....heck, we were eligible for welfare and they refused it.  Even when I moved out and was living paycheck-to-paycheck and in debt up to my eyeballs, I saw people taking advantage of the system and could have myself, but that was never a consideration for me.  I just don't get how people can justify doing so.

Sorry, sister, you've never REALLY been poor. I can tell. I don't mean "paycheck-to-paycheck and put off the kds' orthodonture" poor, I mean "pockets empty, no home to go to, tummy grumbling" poor. Heh, you don't know a dang thing about it, and I hope it never hits you because you couldn't stand it, not for a day!  Yeah, you can go on about how "responsible" you are, unlike THOSE people over there, but when hit-the-bricks level poverty gets you by the neck--no matter how it may happen--you will know it, oh boy, will you ever!
You say it can't happpen to you? You're too responsible, ambitious, upstanding and proud? We've heard that one before. A lot of Americans were toeing the same self-satisfied line in 1929. They thought their place in the American Dream was as solid as the mountains....and then WHAMMO!
:o

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/06/06 at 9:50 pm

Sorry, brother, but you don't know jack squat about how I grew up.  I worked from age 15 until 6 years ago.  Just because I don't work now and am living comfortably doesn't mean that I don't know what it's like to be hungry, wearing second-hand clothes and homeless.  I've never claimed to be the poster child for the poor, but everything "nice" I had, I worked and paid for myself.  I'll skip the details since you won't believe me anyway.  And yes, I claim to be responsible (don't know where you got ambitious, upstanding and proud) but trust me, if the bottom fell out, I'd know what to do.  I've lived off ramen before and I could do it again.  One thing I can guarantee, though, is that I'd never abuse "the system".....not just because of the consequences I'd face, but because of the impact it would have on others.

Live off of Ramen?  I think what Max was saying is "soup kitchen" kinda poor. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/06/06 at 10:27 pm

Well, where I live, there are no "soup kitchens" and ramen would be cheaper than driving to the nearest one (which is about 20 miles away) since there's also no public transportation. 

Ah, yeah, infrastructure in rural areas isn't really designed to handle poverty now that you put it that way..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/06 at 10:43 pm

Well, where I live, there are no "soup kitchens" and ramen would be cheaper than driving to the nearest one (which is about 20 miles away) since there's also no public transportation. 

If anybody proposed a "soup kitchen" where you live, the concerned citizens would raise hell about THOSE people coming int OUR community, and what about our precious CHILDREN? Can't have them getting exposed to the REAL WORLD, now can we?

Sorry to be presumptuous. I too have lived off Ramen...because I'm a Ramen fan.
;D

I should know better than to post such hot-headed statements, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I mean, crimminy, there is a reason there is no public transportation in the 'burbs. Two reasons, actually--
The automovite and petroleum interests destroyed as much mass transit infrastructure as the possibly could in the last century. Oh, and the other reason is, people in the 'burbs don't want THOSE people taking the streetcar into OUR neighborhoods!
I don't mean you personally, Crazymom, but perhaps some of your neighbors. No? Well, you'd be surprised. If they were to build a streetcar line from the city to where you live, there would be an awful lot of squirming. You see, it's not like in the '50s and '60s when suburbanites could lay it on the line about how they REALLY felt:

"We don't want those n***ers paying a quarter and coming down here to make trouble!"
--A Scituate, Mass., resident overheard by my father, also a Scituate resident circa 1962!

Oh, and what I was trying to tell you was, uh, in the Great Depression there were lots of folks who, like you, believed they'd know what to do if the bottom fell out of there lives. When the sh!t hit the fan, it turns out they didn't.  The trouble is, the bottom fell out of the lives of everybody else they knew too!
Now, for seventy years we all thought we were immune from another "Great Depression," but now that we are 10+ trillion dollars in debt, and Republicans have undermined the New Deal/Great Society as best as they could, let's not assume immunity to any economic perils!

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/07/06 at 6:01 am

If anybody proposed a "soup kitchen" where you live, the concerned citizens would raise hell about THOSE people coming int OUR community, and what about our precious CHILDREN? Can't have them getting exposed to the REAL WORLD, now can we?

Sorry to be presumptuous. I too have lived off Ramen...because I'm a Ramen fan.
;D

I should know better than to post such hot-headed statements, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I mean, crimminy, there is a reason there is no public transportation in the 'burbs. Two reasons, actually--
The automovite and petroleum interests destroyed as much mass transit infrastructure as the possibly could in the last century. Oh, and the other reason is, people in the 'burbs don't want THOSE people taking the streetcar into OUR neighborhoods!
I don't mean you personally, Crazymom, but perhaps some of your neighbors. No? Well, you'd be surprised. If they were to build a streetcar line from the city to where you live, there would be an awful lot of squirming. You see, it's not like in the '50s and '60s when suburbanites could lay it on the line about how they REALLY felt:

"We don't want those n***ers paying a quarter and coming down here to make trouble!"
--A Scituate, Mass., resident overheard by my father, also a Scituate resident circa 1962!

Oh, and what I was trying to tell you was, uh, in the Great Depression there were lots of folks who, like you, believed they'd know what to do if the bottom fell out of there lives. When the sh!t hit the fan, it turns out they didn't.  The trouble is, the bottom fell out of the lives of everybody else they knew too!
Now, for seventy years we all thought we were immune from another "Great Depression," but now that we are 10+ trillion dollars in debt, and Republicans have undermined the New Deal/Great Society as best as they could, let's not assume immunity to any economic perils!

It happened in 1837, the 1870s, and the 1890s too, actually.

Written By: STAR70 on 04/09/06 at 3:15 pm

Well, where I live, there are no "soup kitchens"... 

no soup 4 u !!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 04/09/06 at 3:18 pm

the poor folks who are forced cat food probably think the ramen eaters are bourgeois pigs!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/06 at 3:50 pm

Can't argue with you there.  There are quite a few who I can see saying exactly what your quote did.  Last year, our community was the proposed site for a water park complex that was estimated to bring in between $500K-$1M in tax revenue.  One of the members of our subdivision's homeowner's association board sent out an email to everyone on the sub's mailing list and a host of others asking if we really wanted "these types of people" coming into our community.  I lambasted her for her comment and told her how offensive and bigoted it was (I also "accidentally" hit the "Reply to All" instead of just "Reply" ;))  Personally, I would have no problem with a soup kitchen in my community.  In fact, my kids would be volunteering down there. I am too ;) I can't even really be considered "the 'burbs", but I know what you mean.   Let's hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, I'm not saying it would be easy, but I think I would be better off than many.  Growing up the way I did, I know how to do quite a few things that many other people don't.  We always had a garden so I know how to grow food....my mom taught me how to sew so I know how to make clothing....my grandparents had a dairy cow so I even know how to milk one....I could even make my own furniture if I had to. :o  I may come off as a "spoiled rich girl who has no clue", but you'd be surprised at what I can/cannot do.   ;)

In 1930 we were still an agrarian society. That is, the family farm was an economic staple the way it no longer is today. When folks moved to suburban neighborhoods, they brought their inherited agrarian instincts with them. That is, far more suburbanites in 1930 did as you do. They gardened and stored whatever food they could. Why buy it at the store if you can grow it yourself? Far more also kept livestock on their property, some chickens, a few pigs, and a couple of dairy cows. Not so in 2006. In spite of the BS rhetoric  about "personal responsiblity" and "self-reliance" proffered by the American Right, Americans are the least self-reliant people in the world. If the economic sh!t REALLY hit the fan in our time, we would be far less capable of looking after ourselves.
Another thing the Right likes to howl about is how much more church-going Americans used to be. It is true, in 1930 far more Americans went to church. However, church values were communitarian in the back eighty years ago. The only time the Right brings up said charity and volunteerism via church is when they're crapping out on the social contract. American pop-christianity today is utterly anti-community and pro-individualism. All that matters in the Evangelical sect is your personal relationship with Christ, which has become the la cosa nostra of greed. It is a marriage of Jesus to Ayn Rand, if you will. 
In spite of the communitarian values of the Church in 1930, the church was utterly out of its depth when the Great Depression hit.

And as you state you believe you would be OK because of your skills, I would not be so sure. The American individual possessed many more practical skiills in 1930 than he or she does today. As I always say, yoiur average dirt farmer was adroit at a hundred skills of which suburban Americans know nothing. In the 1920s, prospering folks would tell you the same thing. They would be OK because they could do for themselves. Unfortunately, when the whole economy crashes like a house of cards, it doesn't matter what you can do. There is nowhere to do it, and nothing to do it with.  For instance, you automatically assumed you would still have your house and your automibile. When the sh!t hit the fan in 1929, folks could not pay their mortgages and banks foreclosed on homes and farms like taking candy from a baby. Possessions such as automoibles were either hawked for emergency cash, or repossessed by creditors. Granted we instituted more protections for people in the post-Depression era, but reactionary legislation such as "welfare reform" and "bankruptcy reform" have undermined much of those protections.

If another major depression struck us, you would see a repeat performance of the 1930s. Back then, folks much like yourself who months before were secure in home, possessions, and person hit the road with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The rhetoric of the ruling class over the last quarter century has tricked the people at large into delivering moralistic ad hominem attacks on needy individuals, while comforting themselves with the false-security that "it can't happen to me." This is what I object to in your rhetoric. Time and again you level the charge that "poor people" always make excuses. When it happens to you in spite of all your education and skills, only then will you realize "personal responsibility" is never a sure-fire antidote against poverty.

"It can't happen here!
It can't happen here!
I'm telling you, my dear, that it can't happen here...
I remember, doot-doot, they had a swimming pool,
and they thought it couldn't happen heeeere!"

--Frank Zappa

Written By: danootaandme on 04/09/06 at 4:35 pm

^what he said  ;)

They have actually made it next to impossible to be self sustaining.  I am sure your zoning and/or association have restrictions on having chickens in the back yard. My dad grew up on a farm and I still
vaquely remember having chickens in the backyard, then the city telling him no more, no way.  There
was the old guy down the street who would go hunting once a year and cure his own meat, that he
lived off of the rest of the year, that was also ended by the city.  He wasn't allowed to do that in his
home or barn(there were still a few small barns and stables) any longer.  I do know I guy who lives in
a rural area who has always grown his own meat and veggies.  When the mini mansions encroached the
town council tried to prevent him from keeping the pigs and chickens, but his land was still recorded as
farm land and the food and animals were being raised to feed his family.  It cost him in lawyer fees,
but far he has been able to ward of the incomers and their ideas of pastoral perfection. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 5:53 pm

I have to step in to defend Crazymom here, I don't recall ever hearing her generalizing poor people as always making excuses.  Also I don't really see how she said that it couldn't happen to her. she pretty clearly did but was just saying she thinks she can handle it better because of some skills she has.  You went on to say, Maxwell, that most people don't have as many skills nowadays, which is true.  But i don't see how its relevant to Crazymom here and what she said in regards to herself.

Maybe Maxwell was using you as a segway into a point he wanted to make.  ???

I don't really see how he could think you implied those things.. maybe I'm wrong.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/06 at 4:49 am

Oh for chrissake, I was not saying Crazymom is the enemy and I certainly don't think it's a matter of anybody "winning."  I was merely pointing out that no matter how decent, dilligent, and adroit we are in life, we can still get wiped out by circumstances beyond our control. I'm not saying anybody is a bad person here. Take it easy!

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 11:50 am

There was an immigration protest downtown today, several hundred people. :)

I reeeeaaaaally wanted to join in but I don't have the time.

Written By: STAR70 on 04/13/06 at 7:52 pm

There was an immigration protest downtown today, several hundred people. :)

I reeeeaaaaally wanted to join in but I don't have the time.

city?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/13/06 at 10:15 pm

city?

Tyler, Texas.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/06 at 12:02 am

Really?  Implying that someone is a liar and an idiot is not saying they're a bad person?  I'll have to remember that. ::)

Now please, I am not implying those things. If you are inferring those things, well maybe your conscience is trying tell you something...but don't be so harsh on yourself.  I assure you, I think you are neither a liar nor an idiot. Rather self-satisified and naive perhaps, but these are quite common traits among people in our culture.
It is not true either that no one can "win" with me. I have conceded many points in general, and many points on this board. However, I don't like *arguments.* As Dale Carnegie used to say, "the only way to win an argument is not to have it." In other words, even if you defeat your opponent point-for-point in a debate, the other person will only retreat. He or she will not truly convert to your side. And that's that.
8)

Written By: STAR70 on 04/15/06 at 4:56 pm

Now please, I am not implying those things.
8)

why wouldanybody imply that?  :o

Written By: STAR70 on 04/15/06 at 6:39 pm

Tyler, Texas.

population?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/15/06 at 9:40 pm

population?

A little over 100,000, but its a metropolitan area so including those in those nearby towns and communities I'd say about 130,000.

Written By: STAR70 on 04/17/06 at 5:46 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/17/06 at 8:06 pm

i heard about a mass demonstration of 1/2 million in Dallas. i estimate the actual number of demontrators in Los Angeles at over 1 million

yeah my mom lives not too far from where the big one in Dallas was held.  I saw it on TV and they filled the streets from one side to the other, and it was street after street after street.  Just amazing; historical infact.

Written By: STAR70 on 04/18/06 at 5:09 pm

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/06 at 6:29 pm

I still say they're making "illegal immigration" the big story to distract from the antics of the dangerous sociopaths who inhabit our government. Illegal immigration is not the reason why we are murdering Iraqi civilians and preparing for war on Iran. Illegal immigration is not the reason the price of a gallon of gas will rise to three bucks by Memorial Day!

The moronic reaction against "illegal immigration" by rightwingers such as the so-called "Minutemen" may be the inchoate start of the next Ku Klux Klan-type rampage in the U.S. as we spiral downward into fascism.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/18/06 at 8:31 pm

there's talk about a march on Washington 5/19, hoping for 2 million at the Mall!!!

Wow!

I still say they're making "illegal immigration" the big story to distract from the antics of the dangerous sociopaths who inhabit our government. Illegal immigration is not the reason why we are murdering Iraqi civilians and preparing for war on Iran. Illegal immigration is not the reason the price of a gallon of gas will rise to three bucks by Memorial Day!

The moronic reaction against "illegal immigration" by rightwingers such as the so-called "Minutemen" may be the inchoate start of the next Ku Klux Klan-type rampage in the U.S. as we spiral downward into fascism.

I agree, Maxwell.

Written By: STAR70 on 04/21/06 at 4:11 pm

that's the idea. oppose the mini-men, send them back under the rock from which they crawled, and save the world from the next Hitler

Check for new replies or respond here...