» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How come nobody bothered to talk about these news items?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 3:50 pm

What often puzzles me is how some items in the news are simply not talked about.  Here are a few things that I have been tracking:

Hillary Clinton recieves the Purple Heart
http://www.votheillary.org/CMS/node/190

Only Jewish Synagogue in Tajikistan destoryed to build Presidential Palace
http://www.totallyjewish.com/news/TJ_leader/?content_id=2981

Dutch Antilles politician recommends mandatory abortions
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000006/000603.htm

Athiests sue to stop Utah from erecting crosses for police officers killed in the line of duty
http://www.local6.com/news/5450952/detail.html

Illegal immigrant deported 17 times, still returns and kills 18 year old student
http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/local_news/mecklenburg/?AC=&ArID=107442&SecID=3

ACLU gets law thrown out that would have prohibited lying in a political campaign
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/240226_gtruth12.html

NYFD Muslim Chaplin resigns after stating that Al-Queda did not cause 9/11 disaster
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/351246p-299568c.html

Subject: Re: How come nobody bothered to talk about these news items?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 5:22 pm

::)  Talk about partisan agitating!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 5:24 pm

That first link is wrong.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 5:35 pm

That first link is wrong.

Most bizzare!!!!  I actually put in the right address, but when I press save, it comes out wrong.

Do a copy and paste, change it to votheillary.org.  It must be something weird in the page, cause it did it again.

OK, it does it again.  VOTE HILLARY DOT ORG

Maybe the creator of this web forum does not like Hillary?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 5:42 pm

::)  Talk about partisan agitating!

Actually, with maybe 1 or 2 of those, I would consider them non-partaisan.

As a veteran, I question when any civilian recieves a military award.

The Synagogue in Tajikistan was bulldozed the same day the "Blue Mosque" was destroyed.  We all heard about that, but nobody seems to ever talk about the synagogue.

I did not bring up the Antilles article as an "anti-abortion" attempt, but it is just so disturbing that I am amazed that nobody else brought it up.

And I am still amazed that lying in a political campaign is somehow recognized as "Free Speech".

I am not stating that these are good or bad, of ror against.  I am simply amazed that none of them was ever brought up in here.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 5:46 pm

Most bizzare!!!!  I actually put in the right address, but when I press save, it comes out wrong.

Do a copy and paste, change it to votheillary.org.  It must be something weird in the page, cause it did it again.

OK, it does it again.  VOTE HILLARY DOT ORG

No, I don't think it's that.  You're spelling the link wrong.  You're putting the "e" in vote after the "h" in Hillary.

Written By: philbo on 03/28/06 at 5:48 pm

What often puzzles me is how some items in the news are simply not talked about.  Here are a few things that I have been tracking:

I'm not entirely sure why some of these things should be talked about... after all, there's a huge amount of news some of which hits the headlines, some doesn't

Athiests sue to stop Utah from erecting crosses for police officers killed in the line of duty
http://www.local6.com/news/5450952/detail.html

This one is a disgraceful article.  Absolutely disgraceful.  I mean, what kind of word is "memorialize"?

ACLU gets law thrown out that would have prohibited lying in a political campaign
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/240226_gtruth12.html

Not exactly: the law wouldn't have prohibited lying, merely the statement of intentional untruths about another candidate - the court found that this would give politicians more protection than the rest of the population and that current defamation laws should be considered adequate.

After all, this still wouldn't have protected John Kerry, as it wasn't Bush personally who told all those whopping lies about him...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 5:58 pm

This one is a disgraceful article.  Absolutely disgraceful.  I mean, what kind of word is "memorialize"?

me

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 6:11 pm

I am not stating that these are good or bad, of ror against.  I am simply amazed that none of them was ever brought up in here.

Oh okay, I understand now.  I thought you were trying to make a different point..

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/28/06 at 6:28 pm

I heard about the synagogue in Tajikistan, it's shameful that people in Central Asia can still get away with sh*t towards my people. Anyway, Central Asia is totally nuts since the Soviets left (look at Uzbekistan), and nobody's watching it like we're watching the Mideast. Wait and see it become the Persian Gulf of the '10s or '20s.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 7:05 pm

No, I don't think it's that.  You're spelling the link wrong.  You're putting the "e" in vote after the "h" in Hillary.

I am doing a copy & paste.  And I double checked before I hit SEND.  Try it yourself.  type www vote hillary org, and see what happens when you try and post it.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/28/06 at 7:08 pm

I heard about the synagogue in Tajikistan, it's shameful that people in Central Asia can still get away with sh*t towards my people. Anyway, Central Asia is totally nuts since the Soviets left (look at Uzbekistan), and nobody's watching it like we're watching the Mideast. Wait and see it become the Persian Gulf of the '10s or '20s.

I followed that situation very closely.

In fact, the destruction has been put on hold, after half of it was destroyed.  But it is only on hold, and may resume at any time.

That is a region of the former Soviet Union which is very Islamic, and there are strong hints that Fundamentalists are getting a foothold.  I watch it closely, because it has the possability to turn into another Yugoslavia.  The Government was comming just short of stating that the Jews stole the land, and had no right to own it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/06 at 8:13 pm

I am doing a copy & paste.  And I double checked before I hit SEND.  Try it yourself.  type www vote hillary org, and see what happens when you try and post it.

Okay, that's a bunch of crap.

Why does it keep doing that?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/28/06 at 8:13 pm

I followed that situation very closely.

In fact, the destruction has been put on hold, after half of it was destroyed.  But it is only on hold, and may resume at any time.

That is a region of the former Soviet Union which is very Islamic, and there are strong hints that Fundamentalists are getting a foothold.  I watch it closely, because it has the possability to turn into another Yugoslavia.  The Government was comming just short of stating that the Jews stole the land, and had no right to own it.

Yeah...that, and doesn't a dictator basically have power in Uzbekistan? Most Jews (Bukharian or Central Asian Jews) from the extended -stans left for Israel and Queens about thirty years ago.

Written By: Skippy on 03/29/06 at 2:27 am

Hillary Clinton recieves the Purple Heart

Ok, I hate to be a stinker, but I read this as "Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton was awarded the Inspirational Leadership Award by Jim Randles, National Commander for the Military Order of the Purple Heart." It was the Inspirational Leadership Award, not the Purple Heart, she received.

Another story I never heard much of was after the Dubai Ports World deal fell through. CBS reported that Foreign companies now own more than 70 percent of U.S terminals and control the overwhelming majority of the cargo that arrives here. About half of the ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach are run by Chinese companies.
There is already a Dubai-owned company, Inchcape Shipping Services, operating in more than two dozen American cities, moving cargo, tanker, and cruise ships in and out of ports

Written By: karen on 03/29/06 at 3:52 am

it automatically changes t-e-h- to t-h-e after an aprils fool joke last year

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 7:31 am

I don't think anything would have happened with the DP World deal but alot of anxiety, and it's better for the sakes of all our migraines that they gave it up.

Correction: The NYC ports aren't even all that important for major commodities like iron, cars, and oil; NJ all the way! Newark-Elizabeth is the most important port in the Northeast. With the advent of containers in shipping, either New York's harbor or Newark-Elizabeth were given a choice to dredge so the ships could anchor there. New York refused and so its shipping economy in Brooklyn and lower Manhattan utterly fell apart, as modern container ships carrying major commodities are unable to dock there. So therefore, Newark-Elizabeth became one of the world's busiest container ports, and all sorts of oil refineries have been built in my area as a result, enriching our local economy.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/29/06 at 9:44 am

Ok, I hate to be a stinker, but I read this as "Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton was awarded the Inspirational Leadership Award by Jim Randles, National Commander for the Military Order of the Purple Heart." It was the Inspirational Leadership Award, not the Purple Heart, she received.

Another story I never heard much of was after the Dubai Ports World deal fell through. CBS reported that Foreign companies now own more than 70 percent of U.S terminals and control the overwhelming majority of the cargo that arrives here. About half of the ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach are run by Chinese companies.
There is already a Dubai-owned company, Inchcape Shipping Services, operating in more than two dozen American cities, moving cargo, tanker, and cruise ships in and out of ports

Written By: Mushroom on 03/29/06 at 9:45 am

it automatically changes t-e-h- to t-h-e after an aprils fool joke last year

I figured it was something like that.  But it was so puzzling.  I wish there was a command that would let us turn off the spell check.

Written By: philbo on 03/29/06 at 11:47 am

me

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 12:44 pm

So, it's in the dictionary..it's still a hideous word.
What he actually means is "remember".

No, the article states Memorialize, and I agree with that.

Memorialize: To provide a memorial for; give honors for those who are dead
Remember: To retain in the memory

Yes, Memorialize fits the idea much more closely.

PSAthiests?

PPS The "t - e - h" filter is an odd one: it seems to think that any word with t.e.h. in has "the" misspelt, rather than only the definite article...

And that is what the group is calling itself.  And that is also what their lawyer addresses them as.

And I agree about the spell check.  It is strange that it catches some errors like that which is not in error, then ignores others which are much more ovbious.  :)

Written By: philbo on 03/30/06 at 2:22 pm

And that is what the group is calling itself.  And that is also what their lawyer addresses them as.

Are Athiests people who don't believe there's a Dog?

...you obviously didn't click the link, then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/06 at 6:52 pm

You know what you need? You need your own radio talk show so you can talk about all these important stories the main stream media ignores!
;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/30/06 at 7:31 pm

Are Athiests people who don't believe there's a Dog?

Maybe if they're dyslexic.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/06 at 12:12 pm

You know what you need? You need your own radio talk show so you can talk about all these important stories the main stream media ignores!
;)

Why?  I have everybody in here that I can rant and rave at.

Maxwell, want to hear my theories about the link between pedophile prieses and flouride in the water?  :D

In all honesty, the wonder is that none of these ever seems to have been brought up, by anybody.  Some are rather trivial I know, but a lot of things that are even more trivial are brought up and treated like life and death topics.

I knew about the Antillies article a while back, but I did not think it would be appropriate to bring up in a discussion about abortion.  After all, the topic of legalization/restricting that in the US is a totally seperate issue from a politician wanting them to be mandatory in certain instances.  One is a moral issue that changes from person to person, while the other should be outright condemned by everybody.  It is closer to being a euthenasia topic then an abortion one.

Written By: philbo on 03/31/06 at 3:28 pm

Maxwell, want to hear my theories about the link between pedophile prieses and flouride in the water?   :D

Well, there'd probably be fewer paedophile priests if they put bromide in the water instead ;)

Maybe if they're dyslexic.

Do I have to spell it out: "athiest" is "atheist" spelt wrong.  That's why I gave the link to Martin's excellent athiests page.  Would you call yourself a Christain, then?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/31/06 at 8:34 pm

I think the atheists in Utah are pretty insensitive to the idea of honoring fallen law enforcement officers with crosses...I wonder what they think of our armed forces having crosses marking WW2 fallen soldiers, like there is in Normandy.....If the atheists don't like it, they can ignore the crosses. Why make such a big stink over honoring fallen heroes with a cross, especially if they are Christians?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/31/06 at 10:56 pm

I think the atheists in Utah are pretty insensitive to the idea of honoring fallen law enforcement officers with crosses...I wonder what they think of our armed forces having crosses marking WW2 fallen soldiers, like there is in Normandy.....If the atheists don't like it, they can ignore the crosses. Why make such a big stink over honoring fallen heroes with a cross, especially if they are Christians?

*highlight is mine*

This is something I agree with.  As long as a cross is appropriate for the person who died, I find absolutely nothing wrong with it.

And a small point, not all soldiers are honored with a cross.  If the person who dies is Jewish, they get a Star Of David.  If they are Islamic, they get a crescent moon.  Since then, the standard headstone has changed design, and now the symbols are either attached with a plate, or carved into a "classical" headstone design.

Here is a picture from the cemetary at Normandy.  You can see 2 headstones for fallen Jewish soldiers, but they are can be hard to see surrounded by crosses.

*Note the stone placed on the cross in the foreground.  This is a jewish tradition, and is commonly remembered as being shown in the final scene of Schindler's List.  At the end of the movie, the actors and surviving "Schindler's Jews" and their families were seen placing stones on the tomb of Oscar Schindler.*

Written By: philbo on 04/01/06 at 2:24 am

Not so much "especially" if they are Christians, but *only* if they are would probably be a better way of putting it, IMO.

...and I will admit that atheists objecting to crosses on the basis that other faiths might not like it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/01/06 at 8:47 am

...and I will admit that atheists objecting to crosses on the basis that other faiths might not like it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

I agree there.  Unless you are so fundamentalist that you have no tollerance for any religion, I can not see any problems.  And if somebody was that intollerant, then there would never be any pleasing them in the first place.

I have known "real athiests" in the past, and to most of them, they find religion silly and largely ignore it.  It is not their belief, so they do not care as long as it does not directly involve them.

The group that is doing this is what I call "Born Again Atheist".  They are trying to spread their religion in a fundamentalist way, trying to force everybody to view "God" in their way.  The fact that they do not have a "God" makes no difference.  They are still desciples for no god, preaching the advantages of no god, and trying to get people to convert to the faith of having no god.

I dated a gal for a while that was like that.  One of the realizations that she was nuts is that in her house I saw all these books on Wicca, Islam, and other religions.  The only religion that was forbidden to be discussed was Christianity.  She claimed to be an "Atheist Wiccan", whatever that is.  I think she was just crazy and confused.

And the funny thing is, she later became a Mormon.  :D

Written By: philbo on 04/01/06 at 8:59 am

She claimed to be an "Atheist Wiccan", whatever that is.  I think she was just crazy and confused.

I think you're probably right...

And the funny thing is, she later became a Mormon.   :D

I think you might have used one too many "m"s ;)

Written By: Satish on 04/01/06 at 9:50 am

Yeah, I think Mushroom was confused about this part. If you follow the link on that first page he posted, it explains:

http://www.clinton.senate.gov/news/statements/details.cfm?id=251629&&

Hillary Clinton received the Purple Heart INSPIRATIONAL LEADERSHIP AWARD, which is awarded to civilian politicians in recognition of their support of the military:

"Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton was awarded the Inspirational Leadership Award by Jim Randles, National Commander for the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH). Also present for the award ceremony was Richard Weeks, New York State Commander, MOPH, who is from Albany, New York. One Member of Congress is chosen for this award each year. Senator Clinton is the first woman to receive this honor."

The Inspirational Leadership Award is separate from the actual Purple Heart medal, which is awarded for military service:

"The Order of the Purple Heart for Military Merit, commonly known as the Purple Heart, is the oldest military decoration in the world in present use. The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to members of the Armed Forces who are wounded in conflict with an enemy force, or while held by an enemy force as a prisoner of war, and posthumously to the next of kin of members of the Armed Forces who are killed in conflict with an enemy force, or who die of a wound received in conflict with an enemy force. There are over 1,535,000 recipients of the Purple Heart Medal, approximately 550,000 of whom are still living."

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/01/06 at 5:25 pm

I dated a gal for a while that was like that.  One of the realizations that she was nuts is that in her house I saw all these books on Wicca, Islam, and other religions.  The only religion that was forbidden to be discussed was Christianity.  She claimed to be an "Atheist Wiccan", whatever that is.  I think she was just crazy and confused.

Do a little research before you shoot your mouth off.

Lots of Wiccans consider themselves Atheist. In Wicca some people worship the Roman pantheon, some the Indian, some the Celtic or Norse, or some people choose to focus on the God and the Goddess(Lord and the Lady), and some people see these deities as purely symbolic.  They don't literally believe in them hence, they are atheists.

I can't believe you said that considering how you always lecture us on knowing our facts.. :D

Written By: Mushroom on 04/01/06 at 8:21 pm

Do a little research before you shoot your mouth off.

I can't believe you said that considering how you always lecture us on knowing our facts.. :D

Remember, I said she was crazy.  Religion was not anything I normally asked about back then when I was dating somebody.  She was raised Baptist, and was always going on and on about how evil Christanity was.  But she would talk about Islam, or some other religion and that was perfectly OK.

As I said, she was not Atheist, simply anti-Christian.  In fact, I think her biggest problem after we broke up is that I started to date a girl that was Christian.  In her definition, Atheist" meant "Anti-Christian".

And several of our friends were genuine Wiccans.  They all thought she was crazy too.  2 of them were leaders of a local Coven, and the wife even sang at my fiance's funeral.  They certainly had no problems with Christians.

Myself, I do not see why a real atheist would have a problem with somebody else having a religion, as long as they did not try to force it on them.  I do not believe in "The Great Bird God", but I would not get mad if somebody started to tell me about him/her/it.

Check for new replies or respond here...