» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Company produces clone from cutting horses

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 1:06 pm

What are your thoughts on this? Does this seem scary at all to any of you? ???

Co. Produces Clones From Cutting Horses Thu Mar 30, 8:16 PM ET

A company that offers horse owners exact duplicates of their animals says it has successfully cloned two top-earning horses.

ViaGen Inc. announced Thursday that two mares had delivered clones of top cutting horses, which are trained to help separate individual animals from cattle herds.

The foals, born at a ranch near Purcell, were doing well, according to the Austin, Texas-based company.

The first cloned horse was born in 2003 in Italy. In 2005, Texas A&M University created the first cloned horse in the United States.

Elaine Hall of Weatherford, Texas, owns one of the horses that was cloned and said the foal is the image of its mother.

"I can already see so many similarities from the original horse, a certain look about the eyes," she said.

A laboratory at the University of California-Davis has confirmed that one of the clones and its offspring share the same genetics. Scientists are working to make the same determination with the second clone.

___

On the Net:

ViaGen Inc.: http://www.viagen.com/

Subject: Re: Company produces clone from cutting horses

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 5:45 pm

No, not really.

No opinion actually..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 7:00 pm

well to me it is rather frightening that people are trying to "play God".  You give people that much power, and who knows what will eventually end up happening.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 7:18 pm

Eh.  I don't see any problems with it.  As long as you don't clone humans.  Certain endangered species could benefit from this.. also in the future organs in humans could be cloned, to make it easier for heart transplants and such.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/06 at 7:20 pm

Eh.  I don't see any problems with it.  As long as you don't clone humans.  Certain endangered species could benefit from this.. also in the future organs in humans could be cloned, to make it easier for heart transplants and such.

but where does it stop? with animals....or don't you think one day they will definitely try it on humans? now THAT would be really creepy :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 7:29 pm

but where does it stop? with animals....or don't you think one day they will definitely try it on humans? now THAT would be really creepy :o

"I tell my daughter all the time, don't kiss any kids at school, might be an android! Suck ya brains out!" ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/06 at 8:49 pm

Oh such compassion, walking organ doners.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 10:15 pm

Oh such compassion, walking organ doners.

Thats not what I mean.  I mean that they can/will be able to make hearts in a genetic lab; I'm talking about cloning HEARTS and other ORGANS, not a whole person.

Check for new replies or respond here...