» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush and DOJ trying to stay in for a third term

Written By: Mushroom on 04/01/06 at 11:09 am

A Department Of Justice memo has leaked, showing how the administration is attempting to stay in for a third term.

The scheme is described as an emergency "continuity presidency," made necessary by the extraordinary circumstances and unique challenges of protecting the United States from the threat of international terrorism.

They are even considering cancelling the 2008 election, stating it as a "Contingency Of War".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/01/gwot_cha/

Subject: Re: Bush and DOJ trying to stay in for a third term

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 2:00 pm

And who ever said Bush didn't want to be dictator?  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/06 at 2:09 pm

Scary indeed. I HOPE this is an April Fool's joke.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/06 at 2:47 pm

The scary thing is that it might not be a joke at all.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/01/06 at 5:11 pm

Nice April Fool's joke.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/06 at 5:11 pm

The scary thing is that it might not be a joke at all.

I know. That's what scares me.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/06 at 5:01 pm

Yes, this actually is an April Fools Joke.  And I knew it when I posted it.

However, it is interesting to note how people responded to it.  To quite a few, it actually seems to be a concieveable event.  And that is what disturbs me.

People are often fooled by things that will never happen, simply because it fits into the way they view things.  They see somebody as a threat, so they imagine that they can do anything that would further that opinion.  And it is not just about people.

Quite often this also follows natural events.  This is because people live rather short lifespans, and to them any change is "wrong".  They can't conceive of how things could have been 200 years ago, let alone 2,000 or 200,000.  And by the same measure, they can't imagine how things could be much further in the future then their own lifespans.

So relax, this is all just a hoax that I played.  But consider how you felt when you read it.  Were you thinking "This can't possibly be real", or "OMG, we have to stop this"?

This also shows why I normally research my answers, and why I consider them most of the time before I post them.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/02/06 at 5:35 pm

Nice April Fool's joke.

Ahem. I'd like to point out my reply, Mushroom. ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/06 at 5:43 pm

Ahem. I'd like to point out my reply, Mushroom. ;)

I know.  Cat also mentioned the same thing, but she prefixed it with "I hope".

Actually, I got it right away, because the page on the site was titled "gwot_cht"...  a misspelled way of saying "got ya".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 12:59 am

"But that joke isn't funny anymore,
it's too close to home,
and it's too near the bone,
more than you'll ever know..."

--Morrissey

:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/06 at 3:06 pm

I know.  Cat also mentioned the same thing, but she prefixed it with "I hope".

Actually, I got it right away, because the page on the site was titled "gwot_cht"...  a misspelled way of saying "got ya".

The thing is, I wouldn't put something like this past the Bush Administration.

Cat

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 4:13 pm

I think I thought "Can this be real?" when I first read it, and then sort of begrudgingly believed it because I'd forgotten it was April Fool's Day.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/03/06 at 4:14 pm

The thing is, I wouldn't put something like this past the Bush Administration.

Cat

Look, there are some dumb people in this administration, but you really think they'd try to do an end run and go for a 3rd term?  Come on, NO ONE is that stupid.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 7:46 pm

Yes, this actually is an April Fools Joke.  And I knew it when I posted it.

However, it is interesting to note how people responded to it.  To quite a few, it actually seems to be a concieveable event.  And that is what disturbs me.

People are often fooled by things that will never happen, simply because it fits into the way they view things.  They see somebody as a threat, so they imagine that they can do anything that would further that opinion.  And it is not just about people.

Quite often this also follows natural events.  This is because people live rather short lifespans, and to them any change is "wrong".  They can't conceive of how things could have been 200 years ago, let alone 2,000 or 200,000.  And by the same measure, they can't imagine how things could be much further in the future then their own lifespans.

So relax, this is all just a hoax that I played.  But consider how you felt when you read it.  Were you thinking "This can't possibly be real", or "OMG, we have to stop this"?

This also shows why I normally research my answers, and why I consider them most of the time before I post them.

I say to all those who voted for this crooked crew of bloody tyrants, the REAL joke is on YOU!  I mean, these are the jokers who said they were going to bring "honor back to the White House"!  Bush-loving conservatives were so vociferous in their passion for Dubya and so vituperative in their hate for Clinton that now they are too embarrassed to admit to themselves they bought a bought a pig in a poked!  This baby isn't just an April Fools joke, it's a January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December Fools joke...and then Happy New Year, the joke lives on! I mean, you guys who backed Bush are fibbing if you say you don't turn red with compunction whenever you see him...and if you don't, well you've been drinking Kool-Aid out the Republican punch bowl too long, you known, the one with the giant turd in it called "Iraq."
;D

DOJ = Department of Orenthal James

Check for new replies or respond here...