» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Elderly Drivers

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/06 at 8:22 pm

Ok....in the past week and a half, I have nearly been run off the road/wrecked into 4 times by an elderly driver.  The first time an older gentleman in a store parking lot, did not stop when he needed to, and merely smiled at me while nearly running into me. The second time, I was going around a bend in a road, and there was another older man who was supposed to be stopped at a stop sign, but instead, he went plowing out at the road, barely missing me.  The third time, happening tonight, there was a car in front of us, and they stopped fast, swerved nearly into the other lane, and didn't use any turn signals or such....these things happening numerous times....so I said outloud, "yep, just as I thought"....in the driver's seat sat a little old lady. The final time was last week at church, I was rounding a corner, looking for a parking place, and a little old lady flew around the bend (not even slowing down or looking) and nearly ran into me.  Now, sometimes I feel like I am invisible or something...it's very frustrating.

IMO, I feel that once a person turns a certain age, they should HAVE to be retested every so many years, to ensure that they are still capable and attentive enough to be out on the road.  Another thing I don't understand is that a lot of these elderly people are heavily medicated, yet they are still out there driving.  It is frowned upon for anyone to be driving under the influence of pain killers (to which it says right on the medication bottle to not operate equipment or drive a car, etc), nor is it acceptable for someone who is under the influence of alcohol/drugs to be driving....but why is it allowed for these elderly people who are heavily medicated, sometimes too old to comprehend the ways of the road, some are unable to see correctly...etc?

What are you viewpoints on this matter?

Subject: Re: Elderly Drivers

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/06 at 9:40 pm

There certainly are some elderly drivers that do not belong on the road.  Last year, I was driving down the highway following this little car that was going like 40km, so as I tried to pass him, I glanced over to see who was behind the wheel, and there was this little old guy cussing and swearing, while giving me the finger.  Apparently 40km is the speed, and no one should go faster than him  ::)

A couple of times as a pedestrian crossing streets, I have almost been run down by elderly people behind the wheel.  I don't know if it's that they don't see me, or maybe they do, they just don't want to have to slow down.  Most times, I see elderly drivers on city streets going real slow, holding up tons of traffic in the process.  I kind of feel sad for them .. it's like they aren't able to drive, yet they have to if they need to get to the doctors or something like that

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/01/06 at 9:44 pm

We destroyed the community in which we had walking neighborhoods and steetcars. In fact, the majority of the USA is not served by public transport at all--or so sporadically it might as well be non-existant--so what do you expect old folks to do?

A lot of elderly citizens believe they will lose their status as autonomous adults if they give up their cars and their driver's licenses. They're not crazy, they are absolutely right. My friends, this is one of the many prices we pay for elevating automobile, individualism, and suburbia above neighborhood, community, and looking out for one another. Next time some old fogey--blind and senile--slams into your SUV in the mall parking lot, just thank GM, Exxon, and Firestone for all their service to American civic infrastructure over the last hundred years!
:D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/06 at 9:54 pm

We destroyed the community in which we had walking neighborhoods and steetcars. In fact, the majority of the USA is not served by public transport at all--or so sporadically it might as well be non-existant--so what do you expect old folks to do?

A lot of elderly citizens believe they will lose their status as autonomous adults if they give up their cars and their driver's licenses. They're not crazy, they are absolutely right. My friends, this is one of the many prices we pay for elevating automobile, individualism, and suburbia above neighborhood, community, and looking out for one another. Next time some old fogey--blind and senile--slams into your SUV in the mall parking lot, just thank GM, Exxon, and Firestone for all their service to American civic infrastructure over the last hundred years!

Although I do feel for them, it's still not right that highly medicated individuals are allowed out on the road, endangering their lives and other people's lives.  I don't drive an SUV...only a Ford Focus ZX5, a very humble vehicle (and might I add, the only one that we own)....so our family relies on this car to take us to and from work and other places...and it's just not right that we (and many of others) are being put in jeopardy because of someone who clearly should not be on the road.

I know that in the area in which I live...if you are over a certain age, it is free to take a taxi, and the bus fare is very very low in price for the elderly.  I think with combining those options, along with perhaps getting rides from their children or people that they know...they should have no problem getting to doctor's appointments or the grocery store, etc. 

Believe me, I do feel bad for older folks, it has to be very difficult to get to the point where one cannot function correctly and do the things that were once very easy, and I know that when the time comes when my parents are alot older and unable to drive, etc...it will make me very sad....but it's all for a matter of safety to other drivers and for the older driver that they be tested every year or so, in order to see if they are indeed capable of providing the necessary means to drive safely.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/02/06 at 2:41 am

I don't want to seem ageist, but elderly people can be so stubborn sometimes, always think they're right. This applies to driving as anything else. They'll refuse to see the error in their ways...I doubt many would even consent to getting re-tested every year.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/02/06 at 2:55 pm

Here here! I think the state of our public transportation is a joke. You have to live in cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago, or Dallas to get adequate public transportation.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/02/06 at 2:58 pm

As an aside, Dallas has suprisingly good P.T.  Its ran by DART, and it includes buses and a lightrail, and in just the downtown/uptown area they have trollies.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/06 at 3:51 pm

My grandmother finally realized that her driving days were over when she hit about 90 or so (could have been earlier-don't really remember when). She is going to be 98 this year and still as sharp as a tack. However, I know people who are much younger who shouldn't be on the road. I don't think it has to do with age as it has to do with one's mental state. My mother (who just turned 75 last Oct) probably should have given up her licence many years ago. My dad on the other hand, (who is only a few years younger than my mother) can still drive safely. There are also people in their 20s and 30s who shouldn't be on the road, either. Again, my point is that I don't think it has to do with age-but it could be a factor.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/02/06 at 4:00 pm

The truth is we give out licenses like candy because we have no choice.  Our entire economy is chained to the automobile.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/06 at 5:07 pm

This is a hard thing to consider.

For one, different people age in different ways.  There is a gal I know that is in her early 90's, and she is still active and sharp.  She drives everywhere, and if you met her you would think she was in her late 60's.

Then there are people who are worn down wrecks and are unsafe behind a golf cart by age 70.  I know that I was involved in an accident by a gal in her 80's, and she should not have been on the road.  The state took her license, and her daughter even took her car and cancelled her insurance.  That did not stop her, because she borrowed a friends car.  Some people simply refuse to accept the fact that they no longer able to safely drive.

I know that California now has increased the frequency of tests for the elderly.  This was only enacted after an accident that killed several people in LA.

Now the next question is, what do we do about all of the young dangerous drivers?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/02/06 at 6:28 pm

I don't drive for the simple reason that all the meds I take, especially my psychiatric meds and pain meds for my bad knees and sciatica, would make it unsafe for me to drive. And in my area, New Jersey Transit buses and trains provide reliable hourly transportation, and since I'm disabled, I pay half of normal fare.  :D  There are too many nutjobs,  especially younger drivers, out there driving in my town anyway!  :D

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/02/06 at 6:47 pm

Now the next question is, what do we do about all of the young dangerous drivers?

The real answer is for the entire country to have adequate public transportation, and then institute much stricter standards on getting a driver's license.  Because of the potential danger involved, driving SHOULD be a privledge, and they SAY it is but its not really.  And the reason is we have bound our economy to the automobile.

Written By: Satish on 04/02/06 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. In 2001, my mom broke her leg when she was run over in a mall parking lot by a woman in her eighties. My mom needed crutches to walk for over 6 months.

I actually saw a tv special about the dangers that elderly drivers pose. There's many people who've been hurt in traffic accidents caused by them. I agree that once people reach a certain age, they should have their competency at handling an automobile tested much more often. But apparently, according to the tv special I saw, senior citizens make up a rather large and powerful voting block, so politicians shy away from imposing restrictions on their right to drive.

In some countries, people are completely barred from driving once they reach a certain age. I heard that in Germany, for instance, you're not allowed to drive once you turn 72.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/02/06 at 7:23 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. In 2001, my mom broke her leg when she was run over in a mall parking lot by a woman in her eighties. My mom needed crutches to walk for over 6 months.

I actually saw a tv special about the dangers that elderly drivers pose. There's many people who've been hurt in traffic accidents caused by them. I agree that once people reach a certain age, they should have their competency at handling an automobile tested much more often. But apparently, according to the tv special I saw, senior citizens make up a rather large and powerful voting block, so politicians shy away from imposing restrictions on their right to drive.

In some countries, people are completely barred from driving once they reach a certain age. I heard that in Germany, for instance, you're not allowed to drive once you turn 72.
I have to wonder if senior citizen transportation is available in all states/provinces/countries, and if it's easily accessible 24/7/365...because some seniors don't have family to rely on and they don't want to be a burden to their friends...Public transportation needs to be better, period.

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/06 at 7:34 pm

I used to work for the Ministry of Transportation, and I'd see alot of motor vehicle accident reports on a daily basis, and I still can't believe how many involved senior citizens. 

There was one that always struck me funny ... this old dude in his 80's was driving along the highway when his false teeth fell out.  As he bent down to pick them up (while the car was still in motion on the highway, mind you), he accidentally moved the steering wheel and drove into a ditch.  He was not injured, but the mailbox he hit didn't make it ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/06 at 7:37 pm

I think at a certain point, you shouldn't have a driver's license anymore, no matter how spotless your record may be.  The older you get, the more diminished your reflexes and the more apt you are to get into or cause an accident.  Not saying that people my age don't cause their fair share of accidents, but our reflexes, sight, hearing, etc., are far more sharp than an 84 year old's.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/06 at 11:19 pm

In my email:

Elderly Drivers

Two elderly women were out driving in a large car-both could barely see over the dashboard. As they were cruising along they came to an intersection. The stoplight was red but they just went on through. The woman in the passenger seat thought to herself "I must be losing it, I could have sworn we just went through a red light."

After a few more minutes they came to another intersection and the light was red again and again they went right though. This time the woman in the passenger seat was almost sure that the light had been red but was really concerned that she was losing it. She was getting nervous and decided to pay very close attention to the road and the next intersection to see what was going on.

At the next intersection, sure enough, the light was definitely red and they went right through and she turned to the other woman and said, "Mildred! Did you know we just ran through three red lights in a row! You could have killed us!"

Mildred turned to her and said, "Oh, am I driving?"

that's a good one, Kim! ;) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 12:40 am

I don't want to seem ageist, but elderly people can be so stubborn sometimes, always think they're right.

Well, that sounds like everybody in my family, including me, and my six-year-old niece!

It's funny, I just remembered, I was down in Holyoke a couple of weeks ago waiting for the light to change at an intersection. The old dude in front of me decided he'd pulled to far ahead, so he started to back up...and he kept backing up! I honked my horn, but he tapped my bumper anyway. No damage or anything. The problem was the old guy got out of his car to check while the light turned green. He was saying, "Eh, sorry about that fella...," and I was saying "Don't worry, everything's fine, just let's not block the intersection!" Behind me: "honk-honk-honkhonkhonk-honnnnk!"  He arthritically hobbles back to his car, gets in with painful slowness...and backs into me all over again!  Behind me: "Honk-honk-honkhonkhonk-honnnnk! What the @#^*? Let's go gramps! honk-honk-honnnnk-honkhonkhonk-honnnnnk!"

Written By: karen on 04/03/06 at 8:21 am

Is there no upper age limit to your driver's licence then?  In the UK it is 70.  After that you have to renew it every three years including a self-declared medical form.  If, at any time, you see a doctor about a medical condition that makes it unsafe for you to drive the doctor must tell you this.  If the doctor thinks you are ignoring their advice not to drive they can tell the next of kin and also the vehicle licensing authority.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 8:10 pm

Coming home from Florida, we saw TONS of "snowbirds" (people who live down south during the winter) making their way back home.  None of them made any real bonehead moves, but they were driving SLOOOWWW.  Another thing I noticed was that a majority of them were from Canada ???

"This isn't the Indianapolis speedway, Miss, you don't like my driving, you can go around me!"

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/03/06 at 8:32 pm

I always follow the speed limit. I'm much hated on the roads. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/06 at 11:11 pm

well, it nearly happened again tonight...I was stopped at a red light and all of a sudden...this old guy (coming from the opposite direction) flies up and tries to turn down a one-way ramp onto a highway....he looked so out of it and he had NO clue what he was doing, UNTIL he was halfway onto the wrong ramp....then he realizes what he was doing....veers back onto the main road, nearly causing the person behind him to smash into him (for cutting back in front of traffic)...and then he was heading straight toward me, until he realized that he was also on the wrong side of the road. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/06 at 6:24 pm

well, it nearly happened again tonight...I was stopped at a red light and all of a sudden...this old guy (coming from the opposite direction) flies up and tries to turn down a one-way ramp onto a highway....he looked so out of it and he had NO clue what he was doing, UNTIL he was halfway onto the wrong ramp....then he realizes what he was doing....veers back onto the main road, nearly causing the person behind him to smash into him (for cutting back in front of traffic)...and then he was heading straight toward me, until he realized that he was also on the wrong side of the road. ::)

I remember a few years back I was waiting at the lights coming off an exit ramp when some old geezer attempted an on-turn onto the off-ramp. He squealed to a stop falling just short of hitting me head on! Had the ramp been clear, he would have gotten on the interstate going the wrong direction!
:o

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/04/06 at 7:00 pm

People that follow the speed limit don't really bother me....it's those that are going 45 mph in a 65 mph zone in the left lane with a line of traffic 10 cars long behind them that annoy the crap out of me. I'd love to, but when you're on a 4 lane highway and BOTH lanes are blue hairs doing 45 in a 65 so you can't, I get annoyed. :D

The other thing that annoys the crap out of me are truckers who pull out right in front of you to try and pass another truck on an incline (no offense, Al, as I'm sure you've never done this ;))
I haven't seen any blue-haired senior citizen ladies since the 1970's in this area..you mean there are still elderly women that get their hair done up like that?

Check for new replies or respond here...