» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Do Not Call list ?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/02/06 at 11:37 pm

Someone mentioned this in a post in a different thread and it made me start thinking that although I had registered my home & cell #s on the registry, I still received quite a few calls so I went out and checked and to my surprise, my numbers were not registered :o  I checked my email archives and still had the original email so I sent them a complaint that I had registered, but my numbers weren't listed.

Has anyone else who has signed up for this verified that your number is actually listed?  If so, have you noticed a decrease in calls?  You can check at www.donotcall.gov.

Subject: Re: Do Not Call list ?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 12:24 am

I signed up. It cut out the telemarkerters who are trying to SELL you something then and there. Unfortunately, poll-takers, market researchers, and political stooges are still free to call, and call they do!
::)

I always just hang up on them without even a "No thank you."  Everybody has an angle and part of it is to keep you on the line. If you say "No thank you," their answer will never be, "Right-o, good day, sir." In my experience, it takes three or four tries to politely get rid of a jagoff whose job it is to call up the public and ask questions.
I tried to tell my mom to do the same with unsolicited calls, but she said it was too rude to just hang up in somebody's ear. Might hurt their feelings. "Well, mom," said I, "if total strangers hanging up on him hurts his feelings then that person is in the wrong profession, and anyway, did that person consider YOUR feelings when he called up and bugged you with some BS you couldn't care less about?"
:P

Written By: philbo on 04/03/06 at 1:35 am

We've got the same sort of thing here: since registering, it's cut down the number of calls, but not got rid of them.  The main thing it has done, though, is give me the initiative on the cold calls: I generally start by asking if their company is run on a legal footing, and breaks the law as a matter of course.  The answer is usually "no" (with one very cautious "I don't think so" recently), which invites something along this sort of line: "well, if you want to keep it that way, I suggest you remove this number from your list and never call it again"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/06 at 3:14 pm

We have both our "land line" and our cell #s listed. Yes, it has cut down on some of them but others do get through. We have non-profits and political people asking for $$ all the time.  ::)  I recently got a year's subscription to the History Channel magazine. Within the first month before I could even see if I liked it or not, I had received 2 mail solicitations about signing up for a lifetime membership plus a couple of phone calls. The last phone call, I told the woman (who was probably in India) that if they were going to hassle me like that all the time I was just going to cancel. She was so worried and said, "Oh no, don't do that. I'll take your name off the list." They haven't called me back, plus I haven't received any other solicitation in the mail-just the magazine that I ordered.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/06 at 7:59 pm

Good point philbo.....Max, if you want even LESS calls, you should just say "Remove this number from your calling list" (instead of just hanging up) and they aren't supposed to call you again. 

Good point. Though, I guess I find it less taxing to just push the dump button and be done with it. I don't get a lot of said calls 'coz I'm rarely around to answer my phone.  Actually, last time I got a call from a poll-taker, I was answering the phone over at my sister's. My brother-in-law was expecting an important call, so we had the phone outside while we were doing some yard work. I ran over to answer the phone and there's this clown giving his idiotic schpiel.
::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/05/06 at 3:22 am

We aren't on any list, but we rarely get telemarketers etc calling. Kinda strange. I find also the calls come in big chunks... eg: we might get 3+ marketing calls in 1 week, then 3 months of nothing.

Written By: KKay on 04/19/06 at 10:39 am

i signed up
it works.

that does not stop people from getting your number..if they don't have the list, how do they know not to call you?
in my job,we have to consult the freedom of information act everyday.
i can give your address and number to anyone if they are here in person.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/06 at 10:42 am

i think if you're on that list and someone calls you you can sue their pants off.

Written By: KKay on 04/19/06 at 1:30 pm

i think if you're on that list and someone calls you you can sue their pants off.

I heard that too.

I think next time anyone sues anyone for anything, just make them take off their pants and hand them to you.
it would be worth the lawyer bills.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/30/06 at 8:57 am

I listed my cell and my home phone and they're both confirmed.  For a long time I had my phone number listed in the phone book but I set that to unlisted last year.  I get very few marketing calls.  In fact, hmm...I forgot it was even a problem.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/30/06 at 11:56 am

Not so fast. You have to pay a lawyer first. Most people cannot afford to pay legal bills at all. Most people who could afford to hire a lawyer to sue a corporation have a very limited budget, whereas the corporations for whom telemarketing firms work have deep pockets for legal representation and top notch lawyers.  That is why corporations get away with inflicting so much heinous crap on the general public!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/06 at 1:29 pm

We have caller ID, and therefore, we never answer the phone unless it is a number that we know....if not, they have to leave a message.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/30/06 at 7:11 pm

We have both our "land line" and our cell #s listed. Yes, it has cut down on some of them but others do get through. We have non-profits and political people asking for $$ all the time.  ::) 

Cat

I have that same problem.  Non-profits don't bother me for the most part...except that guy that called saying he was from the fire dept and when I said no I have no extra money he asked me how I would feel if my house burned down because the local station had to close because I didn't donate. ::)  I just said if I want to donate to the firefighters I will go to the station and ask how there.  I don't trust people who call soliciting money. 

I was very glad when the 2004 election ended.  The last month, every night the Dems would call then the Repubs would call soliciting money.  It drove me nuts.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/02/06 at 10:51 pm

Not so fast. You have to pay a lawyer first. Most people cannot afford to pay legal bills at all.

If you file a TCPA suit, you can do so in small claims court.  No lawyers required.  Or (unlike grown-up court :) expected.

The magic words for a TCPA suit:  "place this number on your do-not-call list".  "Take this number off your list" has no real legal meaning; they can put it right back on again.  The only list that has legal meaning is the do-not-call list. 

Be warned, the magic antiwords for a TCPA suit:  "prior business relationship", or "politician".  If you were an AT&T long distance customer, AT&T's allowed to call you up and beg you to come back.  Politicians can *always* telemarket, of course - they wrote the law to make sure they could.

But if it's "Joe's Timeshare Scam, Inc" - nail 'em to the wall.  If they don't show up for small claims court, it's a default judgement against them.  You might never collect, but you'll have more than enough fun.  Think of it as a vacation day in Vegas -- you don't get paid for taking the day off, but if you collect your $500 (or $1500 treble damages for wilful violation if they call you *after* uttering the magic words) -- think of it as winning!

Homework:  Read www.junkbusters.com for up-to-date info.  Taking telemarketers to court can be *FUN*!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/06 at 11:55 pm

If you file a TCPA suit, you can do so in small claims court.  No lawyers required.  Or (unlike grown-up court :) expected.

The magic words for a TCPA suit:  "place this number on your do-not-call list".  "Take this number off your list" has no real legal meaning; they can put it right back on again.  The only list that has legal meaning is the do-not-call list. 

Be warned, the magic antiwords for a TCPA suit:  "prior business relationship", or "politician".  If you were an AT&T long distance customer, AT&T's allowed to call you up and beg you to come back.  Politicians can *always* telemarket, of course - they wrote the law to make sure they could.

But if it's "Joe's Timeshare Scam, Inc" - nail 'em to the wall.  If they don't show up for small claims court, it's a default judgement against them.  You might never collect, but you'll have more than enough fun.  Think of it as a vacation day in Vegas -- you don't get paid for taking the day off, but if you collect your $500 (or $1500 treble damages for wilful violation if they call you *after* uttering the magic words) -- think of it as winning!

Homework:  Read www.junkbusters.com for up-to-date info.  Taking telemarketers to court can be *FUN*!

Good info to have. Thanks for posting the link.

Check for new replies or respond here...