» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Computer Viruses - Terrorism?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 1:28 pm

Do you think computer viruses are a form of terrorism? I would say no, unless they're planted to strike fear to push an agenda.  If not they're just malicious.

Subject: Re: Computer Viruses - Terrorism?

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/06 at 1:35 pm

I never thought of computer viruses as a form of terrorism, but if it is the case, then I must say these terrorists sure are getting lazy. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 1:50 pm

Nah, not really. But like you said it depends on the outcome of the virus and what its intent was.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/06 at 7:40 pm

If you could create a computer virus so destructive it could shut down the computers that manage the country's physical infrastructure (power grid, dams, telecommunications, etc.), or a virus that could infiltrate the Pentagon's computers and start a nuclear war, I think that would qualify as a terrorist act. In other words, it would have to be something vastly more pernicious than, "The FBI says you've been viewing illegal websites. Download this PDF immediately!," and then a virus corrupts a bunch of files on your hard drive. That's just being a malicious pain in the azz, not a terrorist!
::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/05/06 at 8:58 am

Large scale computer viruses are a form of terrorism...if the intent is to scare. Viruses that attack home computers are more akin to getting rotten eggs thrown at your house, or something into your window. They do alot of mindless damage but rarely are life-threatening. That, I think, is the main worries with giving computers control over everything. Imagine if you could hack into a CPU in someone's house which controlled the lighting, heating, locks, ventilation, communications, electricity...you could really play havoc.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/06 at 9:13 am

Computer Virus can be a form of Terrorism, and they are being used with that in mind.

FOr over 5 years now, there are groups in India and Pakistan who have been attacking each other (and each other's Governments) by the use of computer virus.  It is a war being run by groups of Nationalistic hackers.  At first, it started with one group attacking the computers of the other Government directly.  Then they started to attack each other as well.  Then a few years ago when the "Invasion Worms" started, they got even more sophisticated.

Now, they will release computer worms in order to take over computers.  WHen they get enough under their controll. they will unleash them all at once, in an attempt to bring down the computers of the other side's Government.  And some of these are "Anti-Virus Viruses".  The virus has no job other then to look for the enemies virus and remove it. 

And there are similar "Hacker Wars" going on between China and Taiwan, North Korean and South Korea, and in the various Islamic states aligned to the former USSR and Russia.  Luckily, most of these virus are confined to the area in which the attacks are happening.

Check for new replies or respond here...