» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Another corrupt Republican convicted...

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/17/06 at 2:53 pm

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/local_story_107111835.html

Chicago politican... doesn't really matter which party, the corrupt part is just redundent in describing a politican from Chicago.

Subject: Re: Another corrupt Republican convicted...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/17/06 at 2:59 pm

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/local_story_107111835.html

Chicago politican... doesn't really matter which party, the corrupt part is just redundent in describing a politican from Chicago.

Yes because Chicago as a city sucks.  God knows how I lived there for 19 years. ::)

BTW, he wasn't a Chicago politician.  He was the former governor and he wasn't from Chicago.  He was from my mom's hometown of Kankakee.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/17/06 at 3:36 pm

Yes because Chicago as a city sucks.  God knows how I lived there for 19 years. ::)

BTW, he wasn't a Chicago politician.  He was the former governor and he wasn't from Chicago.  He was from my mom's hometown of Kankakee.

oh. then he has no excuse really >grin<

Chicago politicans are known worldwide for corruption, so I just assumed he was one of the good old boys.

I won't pass judgement on the city, it's one I've always thought would be cool to visit.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/17/06 at 3:42 pm

oh. then he has no excuse really >grin<

Chicago politicans are known worldwide for corruption, so I just assumed he was one of the good old boys.

I won't pass judgement on the city, it's one I've always thought would be cool to visit.

I don't know of any recent Chicago politicians, be they mayors, aldermen, councilmen, etc., who were corrupt.  Certainly back in the old days that was the case, it's where our city's nickname came from.

I'm listening to WLS right now and all the callers on the show I'm listening to are quick to point out that he's NOT from Chicago.  It's quite funny. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/17/06 at 3:54 pm

One final comment; I'm glad he got convicted.  He was such a fudgeing scumbag and he disgraced our state.  He was involved in the licenses for pay scandal that was uncovered after the Willis family tragedy.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/17/06 at 5:37 pm

Corrupt Republican convicted?  Geeee.... Why I'm no suprised.....  ::)

Written By: CeeKay on 04/17/06 at 6:19 pm

Corrupt Republican convicted?  Geeee.... Why I'm no suprised.....  ::)

Would you be surprised if he was a Democrat?  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/17/06 at 9:16 pm

Wonder what GWBush2004 thinks of this thread.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/17/06 at 9:25 pm

A few cities in my state with corrupt politicians...Atlantic City(especially in the 1980's city government under then-mayor Mike Matthews was corrupt and rotten to the core!)
Camden...the government is made up of greedy politicians as well as Mafiia members and relatives of Mafia members....

Those who live in Chicago are not alone. There's corruption and dirty rotten politics almost everywhere nowadays. And sad to say both the GOP and Democrats have guilty parties among their ranks! :-X

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/18/06 at 11:03 am

I think he deleted his account.  I didn't ban him or anything. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/06 at 11:06 am

Still wouldn't surprise me.  ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 04/18/06 at 5:07 pm

"Turrurest perpygandy"
--Dumb-ya Bush

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/06 at 6:39 pm

Nope. A crook is a crook. Wasn't James Trafficante a Democrat?
I would like to point out that Ryan is small potatoes, he's a Charlie Nobody. If he was a bigshot like the guys in the Washington in-crowd, he wouldn't even be close to getting busted.  Look at how long it took to nab Tom DeLay.  And you know what? Bush is gonna pardon DeLay, and then they're going to put him in charge of the OMB. No, seriously, they really wanna do it. They want DeLay to be head of the Office of Management and Budget!  That's like giving John Dillinger a job as a bank manager!
Anyway, Ryan is a small cat, let's not get distracted from the man-eating tigers stalking us in the federal government.

I would refrain from the sweeping generalization Sister Morphine makes, "Chicago sucks," because Chicago is a huuuuge city with so much going on. But indeed, many things in the administration of Chicago DO suck: The Mayors Daley, the corruption, the massive poverty, the ring of racially segregated housing projects now getting the wrecking ball....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/06 at 6:42 pm

I think he deleted his account.   I didn't ban him or anything. 

Perhaps he has just paused to think up another handle. Even HE wouldn't vote for Dubya again if Dubya could run! There are plenty of dopes out there who will kissazz Bush to the bitter end, but our GWB2004 seems way to astute for THAT kind of sheepishness!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/18/06 at 6:48 pm

I would refrain from the sweeping generalization Sister Morphine makes, "Chicago sucks," because Chicago is a huuuuge city with so much going on. But indeed, many things in the administration of Chicago DO suck: The Mayors Daley, the corruption, the massive poverty, the ring of racially segregated housing projects now getting the wrecking ball....

Why would I say Chicago sucks when it's my hometown?  That comment you're referring to was in reply to something that Chucky said about how all politicians from Chicago are corrupt. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/06 at 7:07 pm

Why would I say Chicago sucks when it's my hometown?  That comment you're referring to was in reply to something that Chucky said about how all politicians from Chicago are corrupt. 

Oh...my mistake.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/22/06 at 5:00 pm

George W. Bush is a cancerous tumor on the butt of America. He must be cut out. Now!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/22/06 at 5:00 pm

George W. Bush is a cancerous tumor on the butt of America. He must be cut out. Now!

He'll be gone in 2 years.  Then we can have a new president f*ck everything up and we can still complain about our elected leaders.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/06 at 2:54 am

He'll be gone in 2 years.  Then we can have a new president f*ck everything up and we can still complain about our elected leaders.

I'd be happy if the next president is actually "elected" even if Hillary does f*ck everything up!
:P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/23/06 at 3:02 am

I'd be happy if the next president is actually "elected" even if Hillary does f*ck everything up!
:P

This country will never elect a minority president.  NEVER.  This country doesn't have enough people who give enough of a damn to vote every 4 years to ever make that happen.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/02/06 at 9:01 am

This country will never elect a minority president.  NEVER.  This country doesn't have enough people who give enough of a damn to vote every 4 years to ever make that happen.

Interesting comment.  To tell you the truth, I think the problem is that a huge number of people don't understand the government process enough to make truly informed choices.  That's one reason the parties are so strong.  Because they can condense hugely complex issues and legislative approaches down to "They don't care about children" or "They want to take all your money" and many people take that and run.

When I worked in a policy-related organization, I felt that I could make a very informed decision on all my votes -- because I read extensively about policy and politics every day.  But now, now that I"m in a different business, now that I'm a single mom, now that my kids are older and more active outside the home -- requiring me to constantly be running from place to place -- I do not feel informed or able to make as wise a decision at the ballot box.  And I'm an educated woman.  So...people might care but it's got to go beyond that for our system to work its potential wonders.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/06 at 9:39 am

Women are not a minority. Women are the majority by a small margin, 51% or so.

Check for new replies or respond here...