» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: WAR ON TERRORISM

Written By: Naomi2005 on 04/28/06 at 9:41 pm

Hey Everyone, Just carrying out some research for a final major project, regarding the War on Terrorism and I would be interested to know your opinions and if you can think of anything, that may help me with this project, I hope to get a discussion going about this issue, so the more of you that take part the more helpful you will be. Just copy and paste the questions, or number your answers.

I want your opinions on the following questions please:

1. In your opinion what do you think the War on Terrorism is really about?

2. What are your main sources of information regarding this war, for example TV, Radio, Newpapers, internet, etc?

3. In your opinion who is this War against?

4. What are your thoughts regarding this War?

5. Do you think this War is been won?

6. Who's War is it?

7. Has the War on Terrorism affected or changed your life in any way? if so how?

8. Do you believe that it is right or wrong?

9. Are you interested in this War? I mean do you always follow it on the news, or just ignore it and let them get on with it, etc?

Thank you very much to those who reply.

Subject: Re: WAR ON TERRORISM

Written By: philbo on 04/29/06 at 2:27 pm

Terrorism is being used as a scary bugbear to make people think they're at risk: if you think about it, ten times as many people are killed on the roads in the US every year as in the worst ever terrorist attack.  But with the end of the cold war and Communism no longer being the threat it was, there is need of a new bogeyman to keep the public in check.

2. What are your main sources of information regarding this war, for example TV, Radio, Newpapers, internet, etc?
All of the above.

"Them"

It's bogus, in both original and current vernacular meanings of the word.  There are many, many better things that time and money could be spent on, and would make the world a far better place... but wouldn't sound as tough for the politicos.

"being", presumably... (he says, sounding rather like an English teacher)

It isn't a war that *can* be won.  The only way of getting rid of terrorism is to get rid of the conditions that create people who think that bombing, killing and dying actually make sense.

6. Who's War is it?
I think you'll find that's "whose" - possessive pronouns don't

7. Has the War on Terrorism affected or changed your life in any way? if so how?
Not really... though it has raised my blood pressure on occasion ;)

Completely and utterly wrong: misguided and wasteful.  And not really giving all that much protection to the various citizens; certainly no more protection than basic police work.

9. Are you interested in this War? I mean do you always follow it on the news, or just ignore it and let them get on with it, etc?
Yes - hence the raised blood pressure - I'd be tempted to use the phrase "get away with" rather than "get on with"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/06 at 1:18 pm

Terrorism is being used as a scary bugbear to make people think they're at risk: if you think about it, ten times as many people are killed on the roads in the US every year as in the worst ever terrorist attack.  But with the end of the cold war and Communism no longer being the threat it was, there is need of a new bogeyman to keep the public in check.

All of the above.

"Them"

It's bogus, in both original and current vernacular meanings of the word.  There are many, many better things that time and money could be spent on, and would make the world a far better place... but wouldn't sound as tough for the politicos.

"being", presumably... (he says, sounding rather like an English teacher)

It isn't a war that *can* be won.  The only way of getting rid of terrorism is to get rid of the conditions that create people who think that bombing, killing and dying actually make sense.

6. Who's War is it?
I think you'll find that's "whose" - possessive pronouns don't

Not really... though it has raised my blood pressure on occasion ;)

Completely and utterly wrong: misguided and wasteful.  And not really giving all that much protection to the various citizens; certainly no more protection than basic police work.

Yes - hence the raised blood pressure - I'd be tempted to use the phrase "get away with" rather than "get on with"

Ditto.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 2:29 pm

What is it really about?
To some extent I believe the so called war on terrorism is a tool used to keep the country in a perpetual state of fear. However, the same Lefties that complain about the war we are fighting now would complain if nothing was done.
Essentially, the main purpose of the war on terror is to keep our forces on a constant high alert, be prepared for any possible attack and maintain control over regions in which terrorist cells are likely to develope.

All of the above except for Radio.

Islam. Essentially.
I'm not a big fan of Holy wars, simply because I tend to not care about any religion.. but yes this war is a war against Islam, a crusade if you will.

That depends how it's defined. If we're talking about the war on terror as a war solely against terror then it's inane. A war can't be fought against a word.
The war we're fighting against Islam however I fully support.

Has been, or is being? Either way no. It's not possible to win a war against terror as I've said before.
The war against Islam is winnable but not in the manner we're going about it.

6. Who's War is it?

Everybody who's with us.

Of course it has. My cost of living has gone up somewhat, in the next few years my taxes will increase and other domestic issues have been clouded over.

Again, this depends on your defintion. A war on terror is inane and impossible, a war on the causes of terror is justified and reasonable.

I maintain an interest and do my best to stay informed as to what is going on.

Written By: witchain on 05/02/06 at 2:35 pm

Money, power, and fear

TV and the web

I agree with DT- It's against Islam

It is absolute bullsh!t

Of course not- It never will be

6. Who's War is it?

GWB's

When I watch the news I just shake my head. Some days I ask "Why?" and other days just pi$$ me off.

See above

I am interested, but in a sick kind of way.
It's like watching the proverbial train wreck.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/02/06 at 10:24 pm

You had to go and quote Nietzsche in your .sig, didn't you?  Fine, I'll jump in and join the rest of y'all in Miniluv's reprogramming chambers.

1:  It's all about transvaluation of values.  Read Nietzsche and deliberately get just enough of it wrong -- and all of a sudden, Strauss makes a lot more sense.

With that, let's not get into the rest of the questions.  I'm in enough trouble as it is. 

Check for new replies or respond here...