» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: My Theory of God

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 12:43 am

Who God Is

There is only one thing we can be completely sure of: the existence of ourselves.

And guess what: that's all that really exists.

You are God.

The Cosmos is in fact on being; call it God if you will.  
It is conscious at every point. That doesn't mean that there are "lamp souls" and
"TV souls". The only real distinction between a TV and the air around it, or your
body and the ground is in your head.

However, during the development of the Cosmos "minds" popped up.  This was because
God wanted to experience things, since it was lonely and had nothing to do.

But what exactly is a Mind?  A mind is formed by a configuration of matter, which
causes an area of the One Energy (God) to view itself as a seperate being.  This
forms a "person".  

This is where I explain how you are God, and you are the only thing that really
exists.  Your friends, family, and every "person" in the world are, in a casual
sense a seperate "entity".  They all view themselves as different people.  But
the same One Energy is behind them all.  The "person" you see yourself as is simply
one of the experiences of the One Energy. The other "people" in the Cosmos, and I'm
talking all intelligences, not just humans, are in fact the same "soul" as you but
simply located in another mind, experiencing a different thing.  It would be like
if you experienced going shopping and going golfing simultaneously; it would be
the same entity, but both would perceive themselves as different persons.

The ultimate goal of a "person" is not to cease to exist, but rather to eventually
be shed of their mind, once their experience is over.  You are "serving God" simply
be living your life, because you are God, and are adding to its overall experience.
However, you are supposed to lose your Mind as soon as possible, and the quickest
ways to do this are through respecting and communicating with other Minds.

When a "person" lives a bad, or non-communicable life, they remain attached to
their Mind (that is, become a ghost, or reincarnate), which is bad because its
lessens the experience of God.

Eventually, when all the light in the Cosmos burns out at the latest, Minds will no
longer exist, and there will only be you (from the perspective of every "mind" in
the Universe), and you will be enlightened and eternally blissful because you were
able to experience communication.  This is what some religions view as "heaven" or
"Nirvana", and is the ultimate goal.

Subject: Re: My Theory of God

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 12:48 am

Very interesting, it actually kind of make sense.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 12:54 am

Very interesting, it actually kind of make sense.

Keep my mind that's a mix of new age/hippy stuff I've heard, and stuff I've though of/pieced together/pulled out of ass  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 12:56 am

Keep my mind that's a mix of new age/hippy stuff I've heard, and stuff I've though of/pieced together/pulled out of ass  ;D

LOL  ;D. I was wondering how you thought of all that. But yes, essentially we are "god", actually we created the so-called god being to being with.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 1:06 am

LOL  ;D. I was wondering how you thought of all that. But yes, essentially we are "god", actually we created the so-called god being to being with.

The idea of "self" is not an illusion; the idea of "God" being a seperate "white man in the sky" is an invention.  God is the self, from the perspective of every "self" in existence, because the other "persons" in the Universe are simply different parts of yourself, experiencing different things.  That's how God was able to "create" us; he IS us.  And in some of his experiences, he is not God, because those experiences believe in a seperate God.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:32 am

I do believe in a form of 'Universal consciousness', although I don't really equate it with God as such, and I do believe in God as a being (not just a cloud of non-sentient energy), but I also believe that being as been shaped to fit into the realm of human understanding by various cultures.

Your theory is really nothing that new (if I may say so), but instead of saying every mind is a seperate god, you are saying all collective consciousness is god, in that everything that has self-awareness qualifies as being God.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/06 at 9:34 am

Who God Is

You are God.

Me? I can't even balance my checkbook, let alone the forces of the universe!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angel7.gif

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 9:36 am

There is only one thing we can be completely sure of: the existence of ourselves.

Really, how so?  ;)

What If God had low self esteem and didn't believe in himself, would he be cast to the burning pits?

Written By: Bob on 05/01/06 at 9:45 am

http://www.seanodonnell.com/photos/photos_320x240/41056346317.jpg

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 2:35 pm

Really, how so?  ;)

What If God had low self esteem and didn't believe in himself, would he be cast to the burning pits?

No, because that wouldn't be logical of It.  If you're capable of believing or not being you exist, than YOU exist.

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 2:39 pm

No, because that wouldn't be logical of It.  If you're capable of believing or not being you exist, than YOU exist.

Ooooh touche.

Good answer.

So, if the ability to believe or not believe I exist means I exist. What is there to stop me believing or not believing I am a fish?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 2:40 pm

Ooooh touche.

Good answer.

So, if the ability to believe or not believe I exist means I exist. What is there to stop me believing or not believing I am a fish?

Here's the thing.  You can sure sure you exist, but you can't be sure if you're human, fish, ET, etc.  Because your body may be an illusion.

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 2:41 pm

hail bob!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 2:44 pm

hail bob!

isn't that a subgenius thing?

Written By: Apricot on 05/01/06 at 2:46 pm

I've heard it, and it makes sense superficially, but how do you explain your own suffering?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 2:48 pm

Who God Is

And guess what: that's all that really exists.

You are God.

The Cosmos is in fact on being; call it God if you will. 
It is conscious at every point. That doesn't mean that there are "lamp souls" and
"TV souls". The only real distinction between a TV and the air around it, or your
body and the ground is in your head.

However, during the development of the Cosmos "minds" popped up.  This was because
God wanted to experience things, since it was lonely and had nothing to do.

But what exactly is a Mind?  A mind is formed by a configuration of matter, which
causes an area of the One Energy (God) to view itself as a seperate being.  This
forms a "person". 

This is where I explain how you are God, and you are the only thing that really
exists.  Your friends, family, and every "person" in the world are, in a casual
sense a seperate "entity".  They all view themselves as different people.  But
the same One Energy is behind them all.  The "person" you see yourself as is simply
one of the experiences of the One Energy. The other "people" in the Cosmos, and I'm
talking all intelligences, not just humans, are in fact the same "soul" as you but
simply located in another mind, experiencing a different thing.  It would be like
if you experienced going shopping and going golfing simultaneously; it would be
the same entity, but both would perceive themselves as different persons.

The ultimate goal of a "person" is not to cease to exist, but rather to eventually
be shed of their mind, once their experience is over.  You are "serving God" simply
be living your life, because you are God, and are adding to its overall experience.
However, you are supposed to lose your Mind as soon as possible, and the quickest
ways to do this are through respecting and communicating with other Minds.

When a "person" lives a bad, or non-communicable life, they remain attached to
their Mind (that is, become a ghost, or reincarnate), which is bad because its
lessens the experience of God.

Eventually, when all the light in the Cosmos burns out at the latest, Minds will no
longer exist, and there will only be you (from the perspective of every "mind" in
the Universe), and you will be enlightened and eternally blissful because you were
able to experience communication.  This is what some religions view as "heaven" or
"Nirvana", and is the ultimate goal.

I read an article about this a long time ago.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 2:52 pm

Well of course, there are numerous Gods.

Odin, Thor, Loki, Tyr, Meili, Baldr, Borr, Heimdall, Vidar.. the list goes on.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 3:12 pm

I've heard it, and it makes sense superficially, but how do you explain your own suffering?

Suffering is an experience that God knew It had to accept, when It chose to become a huge group of Persons.  This is why the poor and meek will "inherit the kingdom" first --- their suffering is not desirable to the Experience, thus from the perspective of these persons they will reach Enlightenment first.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 3:13 pm

I read an article about this a long time ago.

Cat

I'm sure somebody's thought of it before me.  I don't necessarily believe it, but it seems to explain things pretty well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 3:14 pm

Well of course, there are numerous Gods.

Odin, Thor, Loki, Tyr, Meili, Baldr, Borr, Heimdall, Vidar.. the list goes on.

These are all inventions of the persons of the One Energy, and are real only in the fact that they are experiences of God.  However many or most of them probably once existed as important persons of God.

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 3:29 pm

These are all inventions of the persons of the One Energy, and are real only in the fact that they are experiences of God.  However many or most of them probably once existed as important persons of God.

The one energy? Yet there are many? All of one?

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 3:34 pm

isn't that a subgenius thing?
yeah, although i think you're actually supposed to say "praise bob." oops.

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/01/06 at 4:08 pm

The world we human beings perceive with our senses appears to us as a constantly-changing swirl of energy and matter -- matter being interchangeable with energy ( thank you, Uncle Albert! ).

Nothing we perceive with our senses is unchanging -- but we all experience, to a greater or lesser degree, the illusion of permanence whenever we fail to perceive the moment-to-moment evanescence of the quantum gestalt of the objects of our perception.

Nevertheless, we each intuitively sense that there is something about ourselves that is unchanging: the subjective source of our awareness that experiences the illusory permanence of the world.

Could that "subjective source of our awareness" be what some choose to call "God" ?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 5:32 pm

The one energy? Yet there are many? All of one?

There is only one soul, that of God.  The reason you can't "become" somebody else is because you, and every other being in the world, is actually one being.  "Davey Thrashmister" is simply a combination of a locality of the One Energy and the mind created by your brain, according to the theory.  "Donnie Darko" is the same One Energy, but a different location of it having a different experience.  Does that make any sense?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 8:04 am

There is only one soul, that of God.  The reason you can't "become" somebody else is because you, and every other being in the world, is actually one being.  "Davey Thrashmister" is simply a combination of a locality of the One Energy and the mind created by your brain, according to the theory.  "Donnie Darko" is the same One Energy, but a different location of it having a different experience.  Does that make any sense?

A bit like an Ocean...take the Pacific Ocean - it is both cold in its northern reaches, yet tropical near the equator, yet it is still a single mass of a water - the same ocean.

Written By: Tia on 05/02/06 at 8:10 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

my parents were always talking about pantheism when i was a kid, it was a whole flower-child hippy type thing.

Written By: KKay on 05/02/06 at 9:54 am

yeah, although i think you're actually supposed to say "praise bob." oops.

Bob is much more fun...he requires no conversations of this kind...
only slack, and maybe some booze, and a little praise to his wife Connie as well.
now THAT i can get behind.

Written By: KKay on 05/02/06 at 9:56 am

oh..just gave Bob some karma.
you know...to pass on to Wotan.

Written By: Tia on 05/02/06 at 10:21 am

Bob is much more fun...he requires no conversations of this kind...
only slack, and maybe some booze, and a little praise to his wife Connie as well.
now THAT i can get behind.

don't forget the kind bud and the promiscuous sex.

yes, all in all an easy religion until the voices in one's head start getting louder.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 12:28 pm

A bit like an Ocean...take the Pacific Ocean - it is both cold in its northern reaches, yet tropical near the equator, yet it is still a single mass of a water - the same ocean.

Yeah. Just like the Bering Sea and Sydney Harbor are different areas of the ocean, with different characteristics, but are the same ocean.  You are actually me, and everyone else on this board, in the world, and in the Universe.  There's only one "being"; everything that's conscious is ignited by the same flame.  This is why the Golden Rule says "Treat others how you'd be treated" and in the Bible God says "Whatever you did for the last of my brothers, you did for me".  God IS You, and God IS everybody else, and by loving your neighbor you enrich the total experienced of God.

Another thing: God is not good or evil. It simply is. In fact, God is ultimately selfish, since It's the only being that really exists. God is also not a "he". 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 12:41 pm

Yeah. Just like the Bering Sea and Sydney Harbor are different areas of the ocean, with different characteristics, but are the same ocean.  You are actually me, and everyone else on this board, in the world, and in the Universe.  There's only one "being"; everything that's conscious is ignited by the same flame.  This is why the Golden Rule says "Treat others how you'd be treated" and in the Bible God says "Whatever you did for the last of my brothers, you did for me".  God IS You, and God IS everybody else, and by loving your neighbor you enrich the total experienced of God.

Another thing: God is not good or evil. It simply is. In fact, God is ultimately selfish, since It's the only being that really exists. God is also not a "he". 

I think the orthodox view is that God is actually 'beyond' Good and Evil, - although it is still maintained God is 'perfectly good' or righteous. Though I think that must be more from a human perspective, as I can't seen an ultimate being such as God having much use for such human concepts if we're not in the picture.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 12:44 pm

I think the orthodox view is that God is actually 'beyond' Good and Evil, - although it is still maintained God is 'perfectly good' or righteous. Though I think that must be more from a human perspective, as I can't seen an ultimate being such as God having much use for such human concepts if we're not in the picture.

Is it?

Anyway, I don't believe God is "good", per se.  He's not evil either, it's just he has no point to be "good" if he's all that really exists.  It makes perfect sense for him to be selfish.  After all, all compassion is is a form of communication.  But, he cares about us, because he IS us.

Check for new replies or respond here...