» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Spanish National Anthem

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 1:39 pm

Right now congress is debating whether to legislate that the national anthem should be in english.

um, excuse me, but i couldn't help noticing the country's going to hell in a handbasket? there's, like, plenty of serious work to do if congress would like to stop screwing around for a minute or two?

Subject: Re: Spanish National Anthem

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:41 pm

So what does that mean, that it will be illegal to say it in Spanish?

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 1:44 pm

So what does that mean, that it will be illegal to say it in Spanish?
i think they'll just be issuing a statement saying it should be in english. or maybe mandating that it will be recited in english at official functions, schools and such. i dunno for sure, all i can say for sure is that it's a goofy waste of time.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:45 pm

i think they'll just be issuing a statement saying it should be in english. or maybe mandating that it will be recited in english at official functions, schools and such. i dunno for sure, all i can say for sure is that it's a goofy waste of time.

That's weird, who cares what language it's said in.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 1:58 pm

So does that mean we can't sing, "Jose can you see?"  :D ;D ;D 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/06 at 2:03 pm

Hell, as long as it is sung from the heart I don't care what language it is in.  ;)

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 2:06 pm

i'm wrong, i think they're just all going on on various different things (i'm listening to c-span) and some republican, i think it mighta been bill frist?, chose to talk about how the national anthem should always and forever be in english. all talking about the dangers of multiculturalism and whatnot. scary dude, that bill frist.

i love how he never passes up a chance to get brownie points for being a doctor. "i was doing open heart surgery the other day when it crossed my mind what a wonderful person i am because i'm a doctor." gawd.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 2:10 pm

i'm wrong, i think they're just all going on on various different things (i'm listening to c-span) and some republican, i think it mighta been bill frist?, chose to talk about how the national anthem should always and forever be in english. all talking about the dangers of multiculturalism and whatnot. scary dude, that bill frist.

i love how he never passes up a chance to get brownie points for being a doctor. "i was doing open heart surgery the other day when it crossed my mind what a wonderful person i am because i'm a doctor." gawd.

Yea I can't stand that guy. You should see some of the political commercials running here in Ohio, all about the dangers of gay marriage and abortion, and this pro family (yea right) and pro gun rights crap. These people are very scary.

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 2:20 pm

The whole multiculturalism that you Liberals spout on about just muddys the waters even further.

What you fail to realize is that PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT.

The national anthem is a historical song, recounting the battles that have been fought by Americans to protect the rights that we enjoy. Note the keyword there, Americans. Not flipping Mexicans.

I don't know if you skipped History class but in the past we've fought wars with them and now it's appropriate to allow them to adopt and bastardize our own national anthem? I think not.

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 2:29 pm

The whole multiculturalism that you Liberals spout on about just muddys the waters even further.

The national anthem is a historical song, recounting the battles that have been fought by Americans to protect the rights that we enjoy. Note the keyword there, Americans. Not flipping Mexicans.

I don't know if you skipped History class but in the past we've fought wars with them and now it's appropriate to allow them to adopt and bastardize our own national anthem? I think not.
well, from a liberal perspective i say to bill, bring it on. the more you try and crack down on people singing the national anthem in spanish, the more people will feel like they're sticking a thumb in the eye of the powers-that-be by doing it. really it's the last thing bill frist should be doing if he wants to put a stop to singing the national anthem in spanish, he runs the risk of transforming it into a movement by trying to get his boot on its neck.

anyway, right-wingers i find are typically way more into the symbols of freedom (making sure the flag doesn't get burned, making sure they keep the national anthem white-anglo-saxon protestant) than they are the actual freedom of american citizens, which they seem actually quite hostile to. what with all their patriot acts and cavity searches and whatnot.

oh, say, can you see?

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 2:36 pm

well, from a liberal perspective i say to bill, bring it on. the more you try and crack down on people singing the national anthem in spanish, the more people will feel like they're sticking a thumb in the eye of the powers-that-be by doing it. really it's the last thing bill frist should be doing if he wants to put a stop to singing the national anthem in spanish, he runs the risk of transforming it into a movement by trying to get his boot on its neck.

anyway, right-wingers i find are typically way more into the symbols of freedom (making sure the flag doesn't get burned, making sure they keep the national anthem white-anglo-saxon protestant) than they are the actual freedom of american citizens, which they seem actually quite hostile to. what with all their patriot acts and cavity searches and whatnot.

oh, say, can you see?

Oh of course he did exactly the wrong thing.

Now you're gonna have every border jumper from Jose-a to jose-z jumping around and singing in Spanish.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 2:37 pm

Speaking of history, the Star Spangled Banner is actually sung to the tune of an old English drinking song (and yes, the words were written by Francis Scott Key during the Battle of Baltimore during the War of 1912).  Mexican descent are not the only ones who speak Spanish. You have the Puerto Ricans who ARE American citizens by Act of Congress right before WWI-just in time to draft them.  ::)  To me, this seems like another Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays argument. WHO CARES!!! This is just another example of white Republicans trying to create divisions in our society. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that they are succeeding.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 3:48 pm

Part of the issue with the recent recording of it in Spanish is that it's not even translated correctly.  Certain words and phrases have been changed to make it more "peaceful" (I believe the "rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air" phrase has been changed to eliminate the words "rocket's" and "bombs").
hmm i'm sorta a bit mixed on that. it does smack of historical revisionism but at the same time, this country's so warlike it's a little embarrassing, yeah?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 4:08 pm

Speaking of history, the Star Spangled Banner is actually sung to the tune of an old English drinking song (and yes, the words were written by Francis Scott Key during the Battle of Baltimore during the War of 1912).  Mexican descent are not the only ones who speak Spanish. You have the Puerto Ricans who ARE American citizens by Act of Congress right before WWI-just in time to draft them.  ::)  To me, this seems like another Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays argument. WHO CARES!!! This is just another example of white Republicans trying to create divisions in our society. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that they are succeeding.

Cat

That's the war of 1812, not 1912.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 4:11 pm

Excuse me, but if I move to Germany, it would behoove me to learn German.  Not petition the government to have a German anthem sung in English.  If I move to Japan, it would behoove me to learn Japanese, not petition the government to have a Japanese anthem sung in English.

If you move to this country, you should learn English. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 4:12 pm

Excuse me, but if I move to Germany, it would behoove me to learn German.  Not petition the government to have a German anthem sung in English.  If I move to Japan, it would behoove me to learn Japanese, not petition the government to have a Japanese anthem sung in English.

The Liberals are so interested in appeasing everybody else and making sure nobody is offended, I'm sure soon it will be mandatory to be fluent in Spanish, for everybody.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 4:18 pm

The Liberals are so interested in appeasing everybody else and making sure nobody is offended, I'm sure soon it will be mandatory to be fluent in Spanish, for everybody.

Well, I don't want to speak Spanish.  I'd have no use for it.  Any friends of mine who are Hispanic don't speak it much, so I wouldn't have to use it for their sake and I already speak another language.

Spanish is not the majority language here.  I can see having to learn Spanish if this were say, Spain......but it's not.  It would be most practical for people living in cities with a high Hispanic population to be bilingual.  Someone living in Butte, Montana would have no use with it.

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 4:20 pm

Well, I don't want to speak Spanish.  I'd have no use for it.  Any friends of mine who are Hispanic don't speak it much, so I wouldn't have to use it for their sake and I already speak another language.

Spanish is not the majority language here.  I can see having to learn Spanish if this were say, Spain......but it's not.  It would be most practical for people living in cities with a high Hispanic population to be bilingual.  Someone living in Butte, Montana would have no use with it.

I'd resist speaking Spanish.

For exactly the reasons you said earlier.

If somebody moves here from another country, there is no reason I should go out of my way to accomodate them. If I were to move to.. Oh I don't know.. FRANCE.. I would.. Oh I don't know.. LEARN FRENCH! Like I freakin did!

Written By: Tia on 05/01/06 at 4:21 pm

i'm offending people constantly! it's not about not offending people, it's about doing unto others as you'd have them do unto you. screwing over people because they look different or speak a different language is all well and good but eventually it would be nice if the human race would try building an actual civilization for a change.

besides, white people aren't going to be the majority for much longer. a lot of right-wingers are genuflecting in a quite panicky fashion about this, building walls and harping about immigration and all that, but really that train's already left the station. so it would behoove one to find a little bit of tolerance lest payback become a bitch.

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 4:23 pm

i'm offending people constantly! it's not about not offending people, it's about doing unto others as you'd have them do unto you. screwing over people because they look different or speak a different language is all well and good but eventually it would be nice if the human race would try building an actual civilization for a change.

besides, white people aren't going to be the majority for much longer. a lot of right-wingers are genuflecting in a quite panicky fashion about this, building walls and harping about immigration and all that, but really that train's already left the station. so it would behoove one to find a little bit of tolerance lest payback become a bitch.

Thank God I can move to Australia!

Doing unto others as I would have them do unto me? So.. like I said just a second ago, when I lived in france, I Learnt French. I learnt enough to make myself understood before I went there and after about 3 months could hold a conversation with anybody. I would expect Juan to do the same thing with English.

We have built a civilisation, it's called America.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 4:29 pm

That's the war of 1812, not 1912.

Oops, typo.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 4:32 pm

Oops, typo.  :-[

Cat

Oh, it's fine.  I knew what you meant.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 5:52 pm

What most people don't realize is that the U.S. does NOT have an official national language. People assume it it English but you know what happens when you assume.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/06 at 6:11 pm

Thank God I can move to Australia!

Doing unto others as I would have them do unto me? So.. like I said just a second ago, when I lived in france, I Learnt French. I learnt enough to make myself understood before I went there and after about 3 months could hold a conversation with anybody. I would expect Juan to do the same thing with English.

We have built a civilisation, it's called America.

In America, it's "learned" and "civilization.' What are you, f**king English? I mean, BLIMEY, mate!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hal.gif

Cat and Tia already covered the points I was going to make on the issue (including "Jose, can you see?" arf arf arf!).

Is this or is this not a free country? Last time I checked you could call the national anthem "The Star Spangled Banana" if you wanted. You could sing it in Spanish, Tagalog, or Swahili! You could rewrite it to include a verse about George Washington having his way with a sheep! The First Amendment hasn't been repealed, not yet! It will be if the Republicans keep stealing elections. In 2009, we'll have "The Frist Amendment"!

For chrissakes, whe have a president who said "I think people who wanna become a citizen of this country ought to learn to speak English." You first George! Let's start with proper singular--plural agreement, how 'bout that?

I totally agree with you guys about Frist. It's soooo creepy that guy's a heart surgeon! Bill Frist operating on your heart is like having an auto mechanicwho doesn't own a car  fixing your alternator!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smhair2.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/06 at 6:37 pm

Like I said, I don't care what language they sing it in as long as it is from the heart, The ones who are
whining the loudest about the Spanish version are also the ones who are the first to think they are the
ones who decide who is a "real" American and who is not.  And what, Crazymom, is wrong with requiring
another language.  When I was in high school in order to recieve a "college course" diploma you had to
have a foreign language.  What is this about lesser education as opposed to more.  In order to do business
in the global community, and like it or not that is what it has become, anyone with more than one language
will definitely have the advantage.  All the children of the immigrants will have a very basic advantage over
the students who don't feel the need for anything but English.

And if you don't like liberal social programs I would say Australia is not the place to go.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 6:43 pm

Like I said, I don't care what language they sing it in as long as it is from the heart.

Actually, the only problem I have with this is if they can carry a tune. Roseanne anyone?  ::)

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 6:48 pm

What most people don't realize is that the U.S. does NOT have an official national language. People assume it it English but you know what happens when you assume.

Cat

Did anyone here say that we had an official national language?  What I said was "majority language".  I see that as a difference. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 8:09 pm

Yeah I love this one.

The debate was between English and German, Spanish didn't even enter in to it.

Written By: La Roche on 05/01/06 at 8:12 pm

The biggest problem I have with requiring proficiency in another language is the question of which language?  Are we going to say "If you're majoring in subject X, you need to be proficient in language Y" ?  College is already financially draining enough without requiring additional classes in a language that a person may or may not ever use.  Add to that a student who is an immigrant or already fluent in another language.  Are they going to limit themselves to only those majors with "their language" as the requirement?  Also, let's say that a student chooses a major with language X as the requirement so they take a year of language X.  They then decide to switch majors and language Y is the requirement so that year of X is down the tubes since chances are they won't remember enough of it to make much of a difference.  Then, there's the question of "what is proficiency?"  I know people who could read/write another language perfectly, but you couldn't understand a word they were saying when they tried to speak it and vice versa.  When I was in France, people could understand what I was saying, although I'm pretty sure my sentence structure and verb conjugation was atrocious.

To complete my degree, I have to have 15 language credits, it matters not what language(s) I do these in. (French and Norwegian) This makes perfect sense to me.
Being able to speak a foreign language is a very useful tool, but needing to speak a foreign language to communicate with people in your own country is just ridiculous.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 8:12 pm

Like I said, I don't care what language they sing it in as long as it is from the heart, The ones who are
whining the loudest about the Spanish version are also the ones who are the first to think they are the
ones who decide who is a "real" American and who is not.  And what, Crazymom, is wrong with requiring
another language.  When I was in high school in order to recieve a "college course" diploma you had to
have a foreign language.  What is this about lesser education as opposed to more.  In order to do business
in the global community, and like it or not that is what it has become, anyone with more than one language
will definitely have the advantage.  All the children of the immigrants will have a very basic advantage over
the students who don't feel the need for anything but English.

And if you don't like liberal social programs I would say Australia is not the place to go.

There's a difference between taking a foreign language (I took French and am fluent in it) and requiring proficiency.  A BIG difference, actually. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 8:16 pm

I totally agree.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/06 at 10:52 pm

The United States has no official language. Nativists for decades have been beating the drum for an act of Congress to make English the official language. It has not happened and I hope it never does.

BTW, you know what language your grandchildren will be speaking? Cantonese.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smilejap.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 11:00 pm

The United States has no official language. Nativists for decades have been beating the drum for an act of Congress to make English the official language. It has not happened and I hope it never does.

BTW, you know what language your grandchildren will be speaking? Cantonese.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smilejap.gif

Unless they move to China, I can't see that happening. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/01/06 at 11:02 pm

Exactly!  Even if you meet the foreign language requirements, that's no guarantee that you'll be "proficient".   

I know people who took French all 4 years of high school, passed each class, but could barely hold a conversation in it if they tried.  Some people don't take to learning a foreign language very well and no matter how many classes they go to, they will never be fluent in it.  THAT'S why making everyone in this country biliingual will never work.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/01/06 at 11:57 pm

I agree. I think political correctness is pure b.s.! If you come here, speak English. Don't coddle them. You want to live here. Accept it or move back where you can speak your language freely. This is one of the reasons why I can't be completely liberal.

This country is going to hell in a handbasket!! Imagine that, non-Americans telling Americans how they should run the country! I think I'll venture into England and tell the Queen that I want to be in her spot because it's my right to do that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/06 at 7:19 am

I agree. I think political correctness is pure b.s.! If you come here, speak English. Don't coddle them. You want to live here. Accept it or move back where you can speak your language freely. This is one of the reasons why I can't be completely liberal.

This country is going to hell in a handbasket!! Imagine that, non-Americans telling Americans how they should run the country! I think I'll venture into England and tell the Queen that I want to be in her spot because it's my right to do that.

Spanish-speaking immigrants should be the least of your worries concerning the state of the nation.
::)

It's hyperbole in my part. If we keep going with our current trade/debt policies the Chinese will OWN our azzes in a couple of generations. China, NOT the United States, will be THE economic and military superpower in 2050. But, you know, as Dubya so profoundly expressed, who cares about the future? We'll all be dead!
;D

Written By: Tia on 05/02/06 at 8:01 am

Spanish-speaking immigrants should be the least of your worries concerning the state of the nation.
It's hyperbole in my part. If we keep going with our current trade/debt policies the Chinese will OWN our azzes in a couple of generations. China, NOT the United States, will be THE economic and military superpower in 2050. But, you know, as Dubya so profoundly expressed, who cares about the future? We'll all be dead!
;D
hear hear. i think that's where i started off with this thread. i sorta agree halfway with what a lot of people are saying here -- basically if you move to america and don't learn english, i don't really care, but you're likely to find a lot of things to be a pain in the ass. that said, with the right being so preoccupied with immigration and keeping the country somehow pure -- like that was ever possible anyway -- they're spending us into the ground and basically making it so the japanese or the chinese will be able to walk in and just buy us out. so what gives? is anyone rubbing two brain cells together?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/06 at 9:45 am

But, wait ???  I thought we'd all be wearing turbans? ::)

Sorry, wrong poster and that was only if Kerry had been elected. ;)

What I said and what that other poster said is the difference between hyperbole and hysteria!
The rightwing seems to want a Leave-It-To-Beaver country owned by China and managed by The U.A.E.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/conehead.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 10:11 am

The biggest problem I have with requiring proficiency in another language is the question of which language?  Are we going to say "If you're majoring in subject X, you need to be proficient in language Y" ?  College is already financially draining enough without requiring additional classes in a language that a person may or may not ever use.  Add to that a student who is an immigrant or already fluent in another language.  Are they going to limit themselves to only those majors with "their language" as the requirement?

In every case I have seen a range of languages is offered, French, German, and Spanish are pretty much standard, but Chinese is being introduced.  The only reason a specific language would be required would be if
the student decided to major in that specific language, so the issue of starting in one language and being forced to take another is a non-issue.  There are many non-immigrants that are fluent in other languages, that doesn't always mean they get a pass.  Most immigrants speak in dialect, the languages are taught in their proper forms and re-education can sometimes be as challenging as learning it for the first time. As for use at a later time, it is a long time since I had to use the Pythagoran Theorem, conjugate the verb "to be" or even sew on a button, but they were all requirements for graduation, a well rounded educational system is one that introduces possibilities, which is what high school is all about.

Written By: YWN on 05/02/06 at 10:20 am

But, wait ???  I thought we'd all be wearing turbans? ::)

Sorry, wrong poster and that was only if Kerry had been elected. ;)

...in the unlikely event that a Middle Eastern nation decided to invade the country without justification and occupy it.

You know, instead of the other way around.

Written By: Tia on 05/02/06 at 10:29 am

"...in the unlikely event that a Middle Eastern nation decided to invade the country without justification and occupy it.

You know, instead of the other way around."

i have this debate with my conservative housemate all the time, because he's all,man, you should support the war on terror! you wanna have to convert to islam? and i'm all, i'm sorry, under what set of circumstances would i possibly have to convert to islam? are there really about to be waves of landing craft hitting the beaches of washington d.c., filled with islamic shock troops who are going to conquer the government? it's prespammersite. and we go back and forth and it turns out the real anxiety on his part is that the islamic world is growing in population, whereas the population of the christian west is shrinking. so it goes back to the anxiety i cited before, white people afraid they're no longer going to be the majority.

bombing islamic nations hardly seems to be the solution to this though. it smacks of xenophobia if you ask me. the dark hordes are rising up to overwhelm the virtuous white people! head for the hills!

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 10:55 am

I actually had a college professor give everyday examples of how we use things we learned in high school that we never realized:  for example, you conjugated the verb "to be" multiple times in your post.....if you play pool, you use geometry.....carpenters use the Pythagorean Theorem every day to figure out if something is "square" (in fact, in almost EVERY facet of construction, algebra/science is used). 

You also seem to be misunderstanding me.  I said multiple times that learning a foreign language is a good idea and I see no problem with a foreign language requirement based on ## credit hours.  Requiring proficiency for graduation from college is another matter altogether.  I went to college in Texas and to hear some of the students with the "southern drawl" speak a foreign language was painful.  There was also a guy from Boston who couldn't "roll an 'r'" to save his life.  In most cases, you couldn't understand a word they were saying because their natural accents came through.  On the other hand, there were people who spoke the language beautifully, but couldn't write it worth a darn.  Most of these students had 4+ years of study in their language, but none would be considered "proficient".

I was misunderstanding you, and it seems we are actually in agreement.  I will add that I am from Boston and roll my r's quite well, and my father was from Louisiana and spoke French as a first language, in the older Creole and Cajun families who have been citizens for generations this is still not unusual.  He loved both languages, and found that people loved it when he spoke French.  During WWII he was the most popular guy in his unit, he was sent to France and was able to talk to the girls  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/02/06 at 11:19 am

I hear you. However, in my field (education) and in my region (Los Angeles) they are. Not learning the language affects my classroom on a daily basis. So yes, it does.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/06 at 12:24 pm

In every case I have seen a range of languages is offered, French, German, and Spanish are pretty much standard, but Chinese is being introduced.  The only reason a specific language would be required would be if
the student decided to major in that specific language, so the issue of starting in one language and being forced to take another is a non-issue.  There are many non-immigrants that are fluent in other languages, that doesn't always mean they get a pass.  Most immigrants speak in dialect, the languages are taught in their proper forms and re-education can sometimes be as challenging as learning it for the first time. As for use at a later time, it is a long time since I had to use the Pythagoran Theorem, conjugate the verb "to be" or even sew on a button, but they were all requirements for graduation, a well rounded educational system is one that introduces possibilities, which is what high school is all about.

What I heard about the the Chinese language is that many people in China can't understand each other because of the different dialects but the language is written universally.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 2:07 pm

You're partially right.  The characters are universal, but I think Cantonese actually has it's own "style" of writing.  If my memory is correct, someone who speaks Mandarin can read/understand it, but someone who doesn't speak either Cantonese or Mandarin cannot.  I think there might be 2 or 3 other "informal" variants, but I'm not sure what they are....one maybe Taiwanese?

Mandarin is considered the "correct" way of speaking/writing.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/02/06 at 2:37 pm

so let's see.... the Republicans cried bitterly two weeks ago that the Democrats were trying to avoid having a vote on immigration reform.  The minority leader called for a vote as soon as the House reconvened this week.  What are they debating?  Whether the english version of the national anthem should be the "official" one.

thank you neocons.  You once again prove yourselves to be hypocrits.

As Cat pointed out, Puerto Ricans are US citizens.  Not naturalized, or anything else.  Just because they are a terrority doesn't make them any less American, just like living in the Dakota territories before they were accepted into statheood made you less an American.  Puerto Ricans speak spanish first, english second.  Why should they be forced to sing the anthem in english?

Great job on the neocons for changing the subject the day after massive protests.  The Republicans hear the protests and come up with the most xenophobic response they can.  They sure have the KKK vote locked up I'm sure.  Southern Strategy at it's finest.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/02/06 at 3:01 pm

oh, and Bush was for the Spanish rendition of the Star Spangled Banner before he was against it:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/05/02/national-anthem-sung-in-spanish-at-first-bush-inaugural

On Friday, President Bush blasted the idea of singing the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish. But Bush

Written By: philbo on 05/02/06 at 3:30 pm

...and here was me getting all confused... this thread don't have nuthin to do with the Spanish National Anthem (or "viva Espana" as the Brit ex-pats like to sing)

;)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 3:31 pm

oh, and Bush was for the Spanish rendition of the Star Spangled Banner before he was against it:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/05/02/national-anthem-sung-in-spanish-at-first-bush-inaugural

On Friday, President Bush blasted the idea of singing the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish. But Bush

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/06 at 3:41 pm

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 3:49 pm

Well, it depends.....I know in Hong Kong, the official language is Cantonese.  I have a friend who used to live there.  Originally, they were supposed to be in Beijing so she learned Mandarin.  They ended up in Hong Kong so she had difficulty being understood. :-\\

Mandarin and Cantonese are the most used, and each has dialects but Mandarin is considered the official language.  Hong Kong was until recently govenred by the English, and perhaps used Cantonese as a way of separating it from the spoken language of The Peoples Republic

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/02/06 at 5:11 pm

...and here was me getting all confused... this thread don't have nuthin to do with the Spanish National Anthem (or "viva Espana" as the Brit ex-pats like to sing)

;)

Well, the subject got me confused too. Glad nobody replied to my initial post (that I have removed from this thread).

And for the record: the (true) Spanish national anthem is the "Marcha Real" and has no lyrics at all.

Now I'll just leave you folks to it.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/02/06 at 5:14 pm

^Marcha Real is nice, but I actually like Viva Espa

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/02/06 at 5:20 pm

I went to college in Texas and to hear some of the students with the "southern drawl" speak a foreign language was painful.  There was also a guy from Boston who couldn't "roll an 'r'" to save his life.  In most cases, you couldn't understand a word they were saying because their natural accents came through.  On the other hand, there were people who spoke the language beautifully, but couldn't write it worth a darn.  Most of these students had 4+ years of study in their language, but none would be considered "proficient".

To brag for a minute here(lol)- my Spanish is wonderful.  My pronunciation and tone is not foreign-sounding at all; it has a native sound.  Its not surprising because in English I am good at different accents and impersonations(I have a bit of a knack for acting) and I don't have much of a natural accent- I'm kinda monotone.

Written By: McDonald on 05/03/06 at 11:09 am

Speaking of lingual bastardisation, I couldn't help but notice a couple of errors in that spot of French you have below your username. It's not "A tout les amie" it's " A tous les amies." It's plural.

Anyhoo, I don't see how singing the national anthem in Spanish is bastardisation at all. There are two official versions of "O Canada", one in English and one in French, and you might be interested to know that the French version was the original. The US has no official language in the first place, and Spanish has every right to be spoken here, as it is the native and/or ancestral (and many times primary) language of a significant portion of this country. And they're not all illegals. What the hell is so great about English anyway, that it should be kept as the ONLY language in the US? That's bullsh!t. If you don't want to learn or speak Spanish, then don't. I don't want to persoanlly either, and I don't plan on it, but that doesn't mean no one else can.

"Dangers of multiculturalism..," how can that guy NOT be a racist??? The country is multicultural whether we have more than one language or not, because we are multiracial. So if this guy has a problem with other cultures existing in this country, it's only indicative of his problem with other races... What a jerk, that guy.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/03/06 at 5:42 pm

Speaking of lingual bastardisation, I couldn't help but notice a couple of errors in that spot of French you have below your username. It's not "A tout les amie" it's " A tous les amies." It's plural.

Wow, I noticed that too.  I just didn't want to say anything.

Anyhoo, I don't see how singing the national anthem in Spanish is bastardisation at all. There are two official versions of "O Canada", one in English and one in French, and you might be interested to know that the French version was the original. The US has no official language in the first place, and Spanish has every right to be spoken here, as it is the native and/or ancestral (and many times primary) language of a significant portion of this country. And they're not all illegals. What the hell is so great about English anyway, that it should be kept as the ONLY language in the US? That's bullsh!t. If you don't want to learn or speak Spanish, then don't. I don't want to persoanlly either, and I don't plan on it, but that doesn't mean no one else can.

I think most people don't have a problem with learning another language, or with others learning another language, but rather that it seems to be FORCED upon them in some areas of this country.  I live in Central CA where there is very little incentive for non-English speakers to learn English, and they actually expect you to know Spanish and are surprised when you cannot speak it.  Even my wife, who is half Mexican, gets annoyed sometimes about this. 

I think an official language makes sense for the purposes of standardization and not segregation.  You ensure that everybody can communicate with each other in both business/professional and personal situations.  It is good to have linguists and translators for tourists and citizens/permanent residents who just got here from wherever they came from, but after you've been here for so long, don't you think it'd be wise to learn the language that is spoken most in this country? 

Back when I came to the USA, I didn't speak English fluently at all.  Hong Kong did have bilingual education to teach kids English as well as Chinese, being a former British colony, but there was little use for English since everybody spoke Chinese.  When I started school in America, I got an hour a day of ESL classes to hone my English skills and was otherwise put in a sink-or-swim environment where, through immersion and osmosis, I eventually learned how to speak California Standard English without an accent.  It took me maybe six months at the age of five to go from a faux Chinese-British accent to California Standard.  It's based on effort, really. 

It's funny that you question why English is so important.  When I was in college (UC Berkeley, liberal hippie paradise, represent!) I took an American Cultures course in linguistics about why English is so widespread in not just America, but the global economy.  Businessmen from Scandinavia, Asia, and South America use their native tongues when with their indigenous colleagues, but in the presence of foreign colleagues, they invariably choose English as the common language.  There are even businessmen who CHOOSE to speak to each other in English, even if both spoke French or Spanish, because it just makes communication so much easier. 

"Dangers of multiculturalism..," how can that guy NOT be a racist??? The country is multicultural whether we have more than one language or not, because we are multiracial. So if this guy has a problem with other cultures existing in this country, it's only indicative of his problem with other races... What a jerk, that guy.

Predictably, I will now state that I am married to a Mexican-American, my best friends are Polish and Jamaican, and I have studied under Latino, African-American, Jewish and white professors and graduate students whom I respect and respect me back.  We all speak English to each other.  It's not an issue of being racist or segregationist, it's a matter of making it as easy as possible for people of different backgrounds to communicate with each other.  In Salinas, the Mexican-American and immigrant population can go anywhere and see notices in Spanish.  They have no need to learn English as long as they stay in most parts of the Central Coast.  What happens when they want to advance and move outside the Central Coast to get a better job and better opportunities for their families?  They have to learn English.  But as long as they are given ZERO incentive to do so, they won't. 

I neglected to state that I have no issues with the national anthem being sung in Spanish, but I would have liked it more if the Spanish lyrics had tried to keep the historic meaning of Francis Scott Key's poem.  There was a reason he wrote it, and a reason it was written like it was, and a reason why America thinks of it as its anthem.  When I first came to the USA, in kindergarten and first grade, we had to memorize the Star Spangled Banner, the Pledge of Allegiance (under God, even), and the Preamble of the Constitution.  Important stuff for any American citizen to know, but it seems most people take it for granted these days.

Written By: STAR70 on 05/03/06 at 5:55 pm

you should come to Monterey Park or Alhambra, California, it's already been done.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 2:29 am

Written By: CeeKay on 05/04/06 at 7:44 am

I think most people don't have a problem with learning another language, or with others learning another language, but rather that it seems to be FORCED upon them in some areas of this country.  I live in Central CA where there is very little incentive for non-English speakers to learn English, and they actually expect you to know Spanish and are surprised when you cannot speak it.  Even my wife, who is half Mexican, gets annoyed sometimes about this. 

I think an official language makes sense for the purposes of standardization and not segregation.  You ensure that everybody can communicate with each other in both business/professional and personal situations.  It is good to have linguists and translators for tourists and citizens/permanent residents who just got here from wherever they came from, but after you've been here for so long, don't you think it'd be wise to learn the language that is spoken most in this country? 

Back when I came to the USA, I didn't speak English fluently at all.  Hong Kong did have bilingual education to teach kids English as well as Chinese, being a former British colony, but there was little use for English since everybody spoke Chinese.  When I started school in America, I got an hour a day of ESL classes to hone my English skills and was otherwise put in a sink-or-swim environment where, through immersion and osmosis, I eventually learned how to speak California Standard English without an accent.  It took me maybe six months at the age of five to go from a faux Chinese-British accent to California Standard.  It's based on effort, really. 

It's funny that you question why English is so important.  When I was in college (UC Berkeley, liberal hippie paradise, represent!) I took an American Cultures course in linguistics about why English is so widespread in not just America, but the global economy.  Businessmen from Scandinavia, Asia, and South America use their native tongues when with their indigenous colleagues, but in the presence of foreign colleagues, they invariably choose English as the common language.  There are even businessmen who CHOOSE to speak to each other in English, even if both spoke French or Spanish, because it just makes communication so much easier. 

Predictably, I will now state that I am married to a Mexican-American, my best friends are Polish and Jamaican, and I have studied under Latino, African-American, Jewish and white professors and graduate students whom I respect and respect me back.  We all speak English to each other.  It's not an issue of being racist or segregationist, it's a matter of making it as easy as possible for people of different backgrounds to communicate with each other.  In Salinas, the Mexican-American and immigrant population can go anywhere and see notices in Spanish.  They have no need to learn English as long as they stay in most parts of the Central Coast.  What happens when they want to advance and move outside the Central Coast to get a better job and better opportunities for their families?  They have to learn English.  But as long as they are given ZERO incentive to do so, they won't. 

I neglected to state that I have no issues with the national anthem being sung in Spanish, but I would have liked it more if the Spanish lyrics had tried to keep the historic meaning of Francis Scott Key's poem.  There was a reason he wrote it, and a reason it was written like it was, and a reason why America thinks of it as its anthem.  When I first came to the USA, in kindergarten and first grade, we had to memorize the Star Spangled Banner, the Pledge of Allegiance (under God, even), and the Preamble of the Constitution.  Important stuff for any American citizen to know, but it seems most people take it for granted these days.

Thank you for a very reasonable and straightfoward discussion of this issue.  I agree with what you've said here. 

If I'm at a meeting of the Sons of Norway, we sing the U.S. National Anthem in English and the Norwegian national anthem in Norwegian.  (Well, everyone else does, but I haven't quite learned it yet  ;)).  Canada clearly has two main languages, French and English, so it makes sense that their anthem is sung in both languages.  But here, it seems a bit much to expect we should have maybe fifteen different anthems because we are a nation of immigrants.  English is the predominant language.  Early immigrants never expected everything to be translated into German, Italian, Polish, Norwegian, Gaelic, etc.  They often spoke their native languages in their homes, but taught their children English because that was (and is) the language of their new country. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/06 at 8:16 am

Not to go off topic...but this whole thing reminds me of when I go to the ATM machine at the bank....nowadays, before you start your transaction....it gives you the option of what language you want it in...and the bank that I usually go to only gives the option of Spanish or English....but the other day I had to go to another bank, and when they gave the option of language, I couldn't believe how many there were on the screen...there were at least 10!! :o  It was like, English, Spanish, French, German, etc....I was pretty much shocked.  I mean, I can see giving the option for Spanish or English (as there are MANY spanish speakers in this country)...but all of the other ones...WOW...talking about being totally PC! :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/06 at 8:59 am

Not to go off topic...but this whole thing reminds me of when I go to the ATM machine at the bank....nowadays, before you start your transaction....it gives you the option of what language you want it in...and the bank that I usually go to only gives the option of Spanish or English....but the other day I had to go to another bank, and when they gave the option of language, I couldn't believe how many there were on the screen...there were at least 10!! :o  It was like, English, Spanish, French, German, etc....I was pretty much shocked.  I mean, I can see giving the option for Spanish or English (as there are MANY spanish speakers in this country)...but all of the other ones...WOW...talking about being totally PC! :D

I view that as a shrewd business move.  This web forum we use at inthe00s has several language options as well.  If there's five ATMs in a one mile radius, and you know one has a german mode and you're more fluent in that language, which would you prefer?  I would imagine that the manufacturer of the ATM exports ATMs to other countries, so they already do the translation work.  I'm surprised more ATMs don't have the feature.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/04/06 at 11:58 am

Here, here, Rice Cube!

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 12:04 pm

i guess all i can say is that i've never once in my life felt pressured to learn spanish. and i've lived and worked in very heavily hispanic-leaning neighborhoods. although i have perceived there to be a bit of a separate spheres thing, the latinos/as running in their circles and us running in ours. but i rather think this thing about there being places in america where spanish is "taking over" as the "official language" and is somehow being enforced by some kind of invading immigrant government is probably more myth than reality. you know, like how liberals want to steal christmas, spanish people want to steal english.

Written By: Satish on 05/04/06 at 2:03 pm

I totally agree with you guys about Frist. It's soooo creepy that guy's a heart surgeon! Bill Frist operating on your heart is like having an auto mechanicwho doesn't own a car  fixing your alternator!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smhair2.gif

What's wrong with that? Just cause someone uses public transportation to get around, they're not allowed to fix your car?

That's like saying that if you're a vegetarian, you can't be a waiter at Outback Steakhouse.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 5:30 pm

What's wrong with that? Just cause someone uses public transportation to get around, they're not allowed to fix your car?

That's like saying that if you're a vegetarian, you can't be a waiter at Outback Steakhouse.

No, you miss the point of my simile.
http://www.tes.co.uk/upload/2113611/tinman.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 7:42 pm

No, you miss the point of my simile.

There was a point?

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 7:52 pm

There was a point?
the point is...

BILL FRIST HAS NO HEART.

i charge a nominal fee for maxwell smart cliffs notes services. you'll be receiving my bill forthwith.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 7:54 pm

the point is...

BILL FRIST HAS NO HEART.

i charge a nominal fee for maxwell smart cliffs notes services. you'll be receiving my bill forthwith.

No thank you.  You can keep it. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 8:52 pm

the point is...

BILL FRIST HAS NO HEART.

I don't like that Bill Forthwith either, the scumbag!

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oz/images/vc55.jpg
George W. Bush

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 9:52 pm

No thank you.  You can keep it. 
er, you don't seem to understand the nature of free enterprise.

Written By: McDonald on 05/05/06 at 12:27 pm

That annoyance is natural, but it doesn't warrant legislation. If you're in their community where Spanish is the predominant language, and you don't speak Spanish, then that's just an indication that you should either learn it or stay out of said community. Just because their community is politically controlled by a much wider state and national community where English is the unofficial standard, doesn't mean they are obligiated to conform to make you more comfortable. Communities have always been free to express themselves in any language in this country (notwithstanding all the horror stories we hear of Indian or Cajun kids being beaten for speaking their languges at school), and that's the way it ought to stay. 

Sure, it's a wise decision for immigrants to learn English (which, btw, is easier said than done once you're an adult), so what? Do we have to legislate it? I've known many a Pakistani conveinience store owner in this area who learned English AND Spanish, and talk about a wise decision!

It's based on effort, really. 

In your case it was based more on age, and previous experience. Not every immigrant arrives here at an early age with an opprtunity to attend free public schooling in English for more than 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. Many do, and good for them. For everyone else, learning English can be difficult, expensive, and as you have mentioned before with your Salinas Valley anectdote, not absolutely necessary. 

It's funny that you question why English is so important. When I was in college (UC Berkeley, liberal hippie paradise, represent!) I took an American Cultures course in linguistics about why English is so widespread in not just America, but the global economy.  Businessmen from Scandinavia, Asia, and South America use their native tongues when with their indigenous colleagues, but in the presence of foreign colleagues, they invariably choose English as the common language.  There are even businessmen who CHOOSE to speak to each other in English, even if both spoke French or Spanish, because it just makes communication so much easier.

This is not some linguistic phenomenon, really. Anglophones of many nationaloties have dominated the political and economic sphere for going on four centuries. From the British Empire, to the American Empire, with such important nations such as the UK, US, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc... speaking English, it is no wonder that the businessmen of other nations have been so eager to learn and use our language... they want to be able to cash in on all the money we're making. And since so many have followed suit, it is only natural that business meetings be conducted mostly in English. English is the new Latin because the UK and now the US are th new Rome. I am not one of those people who believes that business is the most important thing, however, or that it should dominate all other aspects of life.

Exactly. If there's zero incentive, then why should they? If their goal is to move out of their insular Hispanic community, then I would say that's an incentive to learn English, and then they probably would do that. Their choice entirely.

Frist was speaking of the dangers of multiculturalism (not multilingualism specifically). Frist said multiculturalism and everyone assumed that he meant multilingualism. I assume that he thinks other cultures are dangerous for our social fabric, which isn't very respectful. Your scenario with your friends seemed very multicultural, but still unilingual. Perhaps we were talking about different things.

I think that this business of official languages needs to be left up to the states. Each state has it's own history and its own particular ethnic makeup. Louisiana, for instance, has French and English as official languages if I'm not mistaken (and so they should). Perhaps with California and Texas and New Mexico having such a large percentage of hispanics, they should adopt a bilingual policy, and that would leave Wyoming free to keep English as their sole official langauge. Maine has an extraordinary number of native Francophones, given its proximity and to Qu

Written By: danootaandme on 05/05/06 at 3:38 pm

Maine has an extraordinary number of native Francophones, given its proximity and to Qu

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/06 at 5:35 pm

All the way down to Old Orchard Beach were all the signs are in French and English.  I would like to add that
the international language of diplomacy was French up until recently when it was replaced with English.  I can see that changing to Chinese within a few(very few) decades.  The very(well, not so very, if you look closely) English royal family was known to speak almost any language but English until Queen Victoria, and then probably only in public.  There was a giddly flap by some because the banks started offering ATM service in
other languages and the English onlys got all purple about how it should only be in English, well guess what, that is what is called marketing.  The banks were catering to a base, and I would say since everything in the USA is now up for sale, everyone better get used to it.

New Brunswick is about half Francophone as well, and NB has something in common with neighboring eastern Quebec. It is dirt poor and bereft of economic vitality. If it was not for the social protections the Canadian welfare state grants Canadian citizens, we would have a similar problem along that New England border as we do in the Southwest. The problem would be white, sometimes Francophone, and sometimes Anglophone. Nova Scotia is better off than NB, but still has a hell of a time. If Canada did not protect Newfoundlanders from vagaries of the depleted fishing industry, that entire province may be abandoned. Newfies would try to gain entry to the U.S. or Great Britain at an accelerated rate, and it wouldn't take long because there's only a half million of them.
Canada is trying to revive the economies of the Maritimes and Quebec. In the meantime, they CAN hold on to some civil infrastructure because people can survive in Canada under extended periods of unemployment. It's a spartan existence, and it is hard to keep the "best and brightest" among the young in their hometowns.
America is facing an even worse drain than eastern Canada is.  In vast swaths of the midwest and west ghost towns are appearing everywhere. The family farm is going extinct, and the manufacturing sector is all but gone. Under America's punitive welfare state, folks cannot afford to stay where there are no jobs. We could do something smart and restart a new Homesteading Act, but we are not smart. Our civil infrastructure in the middle of the country, the red states, the celebrated "heartland" is moribund. The death of the contiguous American infrastructure is a disaster-in-the-making that very few have begun to ponder.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/06/06 at 9:11 am

I think that this business of official languages needs to be left up to the states.

Well, yes.  I agree it should be left to the states.  But if people don't understand, here's where I think all this comes from.  I'll narrow it just for an example.  Say the Federal Government passes a law saying employers and school systems throughout the country can't discriminate based on ethnicity or culture.  Then local ethnic groups say this means you can't discriminate based on language.  Immigrant groups say, "Our children speak a different language and they're not getting an equal public education because of the language barrier" or "employers are discriminating against me just because I don't speak English but my language is part of my culture."  So then, presumably because of that initial federal law, the states are pressured to create all kinds of new programs and hiring requirements -- which cost a lot of money for both the local government, the school system and private employers -- to deal with the language thing.  Add to that the fact that many immigrant groups (not all) at least initially tend to be in the low income bracket.  And we know the rich get tax breaks so....the cost of these programs falls on the middle income American.  So somebody says, "This is getting crazy.  If we just make English the official language of this country, we can be fine with multiculturalism but we don't have to go broke dealing with this language thing." 

And then....surprise, surprise....the extremists step in (on both sides) and suddenly anyone who suggests English as the official language is some kind of ethnocidal bigot.  I'm all for local control (absolutely).  But there's a big problem with federal mandates that -- by design or necessity -- end up being huge financial burdens on the states which have no choice but to respond in some way or other.

I was babbling a bit there....so I hope that makes sense. :D

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/09/06 at 4:55 am

Perhaps with California and Texas and New Mexico having such a large percentage of hispanics, they should adopt a bilingual policy, and that would leave Wyoming free to keep English as their sole official langauge.

New Mexico already is.  Their official languages are English and Spanish.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/06 at 10:32 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/09/06 at 8:35 pm

Did the New Mexico state legislature really say that?
???

I'm not sure if it was the State Legislature that instituted it or how long its been that way, but I researched New Mexico a few months back and discovered that fact.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/10/06 at 9:00 am

This is from Wikipedia:

The United States does not have an official language; nevertheless, American English (referred to in the US as simply English) is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements. Additionally, one must demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak English to become a naturalized citizen. Many individual states and territories have also adopted English as their official language:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming
Several states and territories are officially bilingual:

Louisiana (English and French),
New Mexico (English and Spanish),
Hawaii (Hawaiian English and Hawaiian),
Puerto Rico (Spanish and English),
Guam (Chamorro and English),
American Samoa (Samoan and English);
Texas (English and Spanish),
And one is officially trilingual:

Northern Mariana Islands (English, Chamorro, and Carolinian).
Until the 1950s, Pennsylvania was officially bilingual in English and German.

Native American languages are official or co-official on many of the US Indian reservations and pueblos.

In 2000, the census bureau printed the standard census questionnaires in six languages: English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese (in traditional characters), Vietnamese, and Tagalog. The English-only movement seeks to establish English as the only official language of the entire nation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/06 at 9:34 am

And one is officially trilingual:

Northern Mariana Islands (English, Chamorro, and Carolinian).

You'll have to ask Tom Delay and Jack Abramoff what language they spoke when they were going for some unlawful carnal acts with indentured adolescent prostitutes in Saipan's slave brothels
when they were heading Bible study for the prosperous Chinese youth finding the American dream in Saipan's thriving garment industry.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/poke.gif

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/10/06 at 12:53 pm

I had no idea Texas was officially bilingual.

Makes sense though.

Its like Canada here but with Spanish rather than French.  Practically EVERYTHING now is in both English and Spanish.  Even most private businesses now have bilingual signs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/06 at 3:45 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/10/06 at 3:57 pm

Is the resolution aimed at Latinos only?

Aha!  And the racist motivations rear their ugly head!

I keep thinking to myself if this means that Louisiana will be forced to stop using French.  Or all the towns up in Maine and upstate New York that do?  What about communities in the Midwest where Polish and German are still common?  Or communities in Central Texas where German is still used?

Of course it doesn't apply to them.  It would be wrong of us to trample on their heritage.  Unless of course their heritage is "Exotic"(or NOT northern european/white?).  ;)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/10/06 at 4:12 pm

Oh, say, if that dumb resolution the senate just passed, the one declaring the all those official documents be printed in English-only, becomes law, are we going to have to change the national motto, "E Pluribus Unum" to "Out of Many, One"? Or is Latin OK? Is the resolution aimed at Latinos only?

It's not like we print dozens of pages of documents in Latin.  A few words on our currency out of historical tradition are a far cry from developing a plethora of documents and programs in foreign languages.  (I'm not arguing for or against, but I personally don't go for this type of argument -- it's not relevant). 

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/06 at 10:46 am

My father spoke fluent Spanish, so he jumped in and saved the day. After the Cuban guy went on his way, the lady asked my dad, "Are you Hispanic?" My dad said no, and the lady launched into a tirade about what a drag all these Hispanics were because they don't speak no English, and how the rent-a-car place wouldn't hire her kid becaue he didn't speak Spanish, and blah blah blah...

A friend of mine went to a Civil War battlesight and the tour guide asked if anyone was from the North.  He didn't say anything,
no one said anything, so the guy went into a tirade about the North, and northerners, and the war.  Some people are just the tirade type, and for some unaccountable reason think that most people agree with them.  ???

Written By: Satish on 05/11/06 at 12:28 pm

Oh, say, if that dumb resolution the senate just passed, the one declaring the all those official documents be printed in English-only, becomes law, are we going to have to change the national motto, "E Pluribus Unum" to "Out of Many, One"? Or is Latin OK? Is the resolution aimed at Latinos only?

The current national motto of the United States is "In God We Trust," and has been since 1956.

"E Pluribus Unum" was chosen as the national motto of the United States when the country was founded in the late 1700s, but it was changed in 1956 to "In God We Trust":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_pluribus_unum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

I think I can see why they decided to change it. The 1950s was the height of the Cold War with the God-less commie reds, so they probably wanted a motto that reflected more of a belief in God. Also, "E Pluribus Unum" lends itself a bit too well to socialist ideas of collectivism, so that might have given them an extra reason to ditch it.

Didn't they change the words to the Pledge of Allegiance for the same reason?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance#Addition_of_the_words_.22under_God.22

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/11/06 at 4:11 pm

A friend of mine went to a Civil War battlesight and the tour guide asked if anyone was from the North.  He didn't say anything,
no one said anything, so the guy went into a tirade about the North, and northerners, and the war.  Some people are just the tirade type, and for some unaccountable reason think that most people agree with them.  ???

The only thing that bothers me about the North is assumed superiority.  Nothing is worse than someone who thinks their own $h!t doesn't stink.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 4:14 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/11/06 at 4:22 pm

I've been down south many times and I know that the south in reality is very nice, in ways a lot nicer than here actually. It's not all trailer parks and stuff like some ignorant people think.

Thanks.

I've been up North a few times, and a lot of Southerners are convinced most Yankees are rude but I didn't think so at all.  They didn't seem particularly meaner than anyone around here.

This makes me think about the SNL skit with Jimmy Fallen and Rachel Dratch where they are the high school kids from NYC and they go around with a video camera("you're so HOT!") and they meet a southerner and they make fun of her accent, "listen to 'uh aksent, she sounds RETAHDED or somethin'!". ;D

Written By: CeeKay on 05/11/06 at 10:45 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/11/06 at 10:50 pm

That was then, and this is now.  Back in the 1800s when we had waves of European immigrants coming to this country, this was quite a different place.  We also had slavery back then.  Just because thats the way it was then doesn't mean that is the way it has to be now. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/11/06 at 10:55 pm

I understand that Europeans got a much less flexible welcome back in the 1800s, but what I was referring to is NOW.  No one is complaining about people speaking French, German, and all these other languages. 

Written By: CeeKay on 05/11/06 at 11:02 pm

[quote author=

Written By: CeeKay on 05/11/06 at 11:05 pm

[quote author=

Written By: CeeKay on 05/11/06 at 11:12 pm

Just for the record...I don't care if people want to translate the National Anthem into every language on Earth....as long as the translation holds true to the lyrics.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/11/06 at 11:25 pm

No one is complaining about people speaking Spanish either.  In fact....what do you think is the language outside of English most taught in the public schools? (Spanish)  And who do you think is learning it? (White people)  If the country was as "Latinophobic" as you suggest, if this movement was about somehow abolishing Latino languages altogether...this would not be happening.  No one gives a darn if people speak Spanish.

What rock are you hiding under?  Theres a TON of people who are against the Spanish language.  I've known a lot of them.  Perhaps not where you live, but the entire country is not as tolerant.  My own father (unfortunately) is one of them.

No, it doesn't.  I will agree with that statement.  But if you think about it...there might be some merit there; there might be something positive.  Most of us who speak English do it because our immigrant relatives insisted on it.  And if they didn't....we'd probably be a land of a bunch of separate countries because we wouldn't have a common language.  It is a common language that allows many people of many cultures to join in the development of one country.  And for all its faults, we've got alot going here in the ol' USA that's pretty darn good.  If we didn't, all these people wouldn't be coming in the first place.

That just doesn't make sense, I'm sorry.  Switzerland has four national languages and it functions fine(French, Italian, and German in addition to all schoolchildren learning English).  You can't just assume a country can only function monolingually. 

More importantly, I lose my cool very quickly when the "Big Bad European Whites" argument is tossed around.  The way that was said, it insinuates that Northern European Whites somehow had an easier time of immigration and/or don't care about anyone else.  And that's just false.  And it doesn't give  millions of hard working, honest, good Northern European white people any credit for being the good people they are.  So please let's not let support for one race mean bigotry against another.  Two wrongs don't make anything right.

Yes, they had it hard, but a lot of them DON'T care.  I'm sorry, but I've seen the racist attitudes too many times.  I run across too many morons who genuinely believe we should deport all of the illegal workers, regardless of the fact many of the European immigrants were undocumented.

Just for the record...I don't care if people want to translate the National Anthem into every language on Earth....as long as the translation holds true to the lyrics.

I reviewed the Spanish version of the anthem, and it didn't really seem inaccurate to me.  When you translate from English into another language you aren't going to get a literal translation that matches, and you have to bear that in mind.  For example in Spanish "de nada" means you're welcome, but literally translated its "of nothing".

Written By: CeeKay on 05/11/06 at 11:36 pm

[quote author=

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 12:21 am

[quote author=

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 1:41 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/12/06 at 2:56 pm

Agree to disagree.  I think the nation should be open to new languages.  People are just afraid that they don't have the ability to learn a second language.  You can say they just don't want to all you want.

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 3:03 pm

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 3:07 pm

No, some people don't want to.
I don't want to HAVE to learn Spanish and won't. I tried, nasty language, hated it.
Of course some people are worried they wont be able to learn a second language. My Father was stationed in Germany for almost 6 years, he did his best to learn German and managed to pick up just enough to get by. As he put it "It's all foreign, I just couldn't get my head round it."

So he must understand how difficult it must be for immigrants to learn English.

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 3:10 pm

I doubt he gives a sheesh. They're moving to the country.

He went there with the army. Thus, he didn't need to learn the language, but made an attempt to anyway.
If he were to move there as a civilian of course he would need to learn the language.

Sorry, I should have mentioned he was with the army before you made that comparison.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/12/06 at 3:16 pm

He must not have interacted very much outside of the base.  I mean anybody can learn after that amount of time if they being exposed to it regularly.

My Spanish went from just a basic "traveller's knowledge" of a few words and phrases to what I would call conversational level after taking Spanish at the local college.  Our instructor from the very beginning MADE us communicate in Spanish, no matter what our level was.  Everyone had to use it in class, all the time, period.  And you know what?  The method worked amazingly well.  At first it was a bit akward, when we came in the first day of class he started giving us commands in Spanish and he would carry them out himself to demonstrate what he was referring to, and we would drill through these over and over.  He later explained to us that what he was going for was making it like a class in Latin America.  When you are learning your native language as a child, you gets hundreds of hours of intensive exposure.  So rather than just going through rote memorization out of a textbook, he actually gave us an actual context in which to learn it and actually learn how to use it in a functional manner.  You would be truely shocked at how natural everyone became at speaking Spanish in a real, functional way by the end of the semester.  Even the local yokel types in the class who you would never guess to be able to, did.

The above is not an argument in favor of anything, its just a semi-related aside I wanted to share.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 3:17 pm

If you were to move to a foreign country, would you expect them to learn English?  No, you'd accept the fact that you'd have to learn THEIR language if you wanted to get by.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/12/06 at 3:21 pm

No, but if I had children I would expect the schools to aid them in adjusting.

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 3:23 pm

[quote author=

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 3:38 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/12/06 at 3:42 pm

Schools are for the purpose of education.  Learning a new language is most defiitely an education issue.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 3:49 pm

[quote author=

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 3:50 pm

It's obvious you don't have kids yet.  Teachers can only teach so much, without reinforcement at home, it's a waste of time.  ESPECIALLY with a foreign language:  ask anyone who's ever learned a foreign language.....if they don't use it, they lose some of it.

Correct.

My French is still much better than most people's would be, but it's nowhere near as good as it was.

I make far more errors, find myself struggling to remember what word I want, how I should use the word, feminine - masculine etc.

Because I've not used it much.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 3:54 pm

If you were to move to a foreign country, would you expect them to learn English?  No, you'd accept the fact that you'd have to learn THEIR language if you wanted to get by.

Huh? Where did that come from?  Why would you suggest that I  expect people in another country to learn a language to suit me because I was there?  If I was in another country for a number of years I am sure that I would come away with a working knowledge of the language though, but I realize it would be difficult.  Living where I do I see people struggling every day with the language, and I see people turning up their noses at people who are trying very hard to communicate, and to learn.  Too many people assume that because a person doesn't speak the language well that they don't want to speak the language at all, I find that far from the truth.  But some people need a reason to look down on others, and language is a way.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/12/06 at 3:55 pm

Aiding them in adjusting ?  What does that mean?  Are you saying that it should be the school's sole responsibility to teach them *insert language* and that as a parent, you would bear no responsibility?  Come on.  The teachers have enough on their plate just trying to teach them the basics, now you want them to teach them a new language as well?  THAT'S part of the problem with the public education system in this country.....the parents expect the schools to teach their kids everything while they do nothing to help.

Ummm, I don't know where you went to school but the foreign language teachers taught only that.  They didn't teach 5 other subjects on top of it, and while I went to a private school, no public school I've ever heard of has foreign language teachers teaching more than just that.  My sister's school has a really good foreign language department. 

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 3:57 pm

Correct.

My French is still much better than most people's would be, but it's nowhere near as good as it was.

I make far more errors, find myself struggling to remember what word I want, how I should use the word, feminine - masculine etc.

Because I've not used it much.

I do find it.....odd, that there are many people who can't speak French, but they sure can sing
"Voulez-vous couche avec moi, ce soir" over and over again  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/12/06 at 3:59 pm

It's obvious you don't have kids yet.  Teachers can only teach so much, without reinforcement at home, it's a waste of time.  ESPECIALLY with a foreign language:  ask anyone who's ever learned a foreign language.....if they don't use it, they lose some of it.

Right.  And PLEASE, quote me where I have said its ONLY the school's responsibility.  You can't.  Because I didn't.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 4:00 pm

Aiding them in adjusting ?  What does that mean?  Are you saying that it should be the school's sole responsibility to teach them *insert language* and that as a parent, you would bear no responsibility?  Come on.  The teachers have enough on their plate just trying to teach them the basics, now you want them to teach them a new language as well?  THAT'S part of the problem with the public education system in this country.....the parents expect the schools to teach their kids everything while they do nothing to help.

Why do you assume that the parents aren't learning right along with the children.  I for one have found that to be the case, and as I said before, I live in a city with a huge, and very diversified immigrant community.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/12/06 at 4:02 pm

Ummm, I don't know where you went to school but the foreign language teachers taught only that.  They didn't teach 5 other subjects on top of it, and while I went to a private school, no public school I've ever heard of has foreign language teachers teaching more than just that.  My sister's school has a really good foreign language department. 

I believe Mama K was referring to bilingual education, as in a teacher has to teach math to both English- and non-English-speaking students in the same class.  This creates a double workload for a teacher that should otherwise not be teaching foreign languages.

Written By: Tia on 05/12/06 at 4:07 pm

I believe Mama K was referring to bilingual education, as in a teacher has to teach math to both English- and non-English-speaking students in the same class.  This creates a double workload for a teacher that should otherwise not be teaching foreign languages.
how would a teacher even TRY to do this unless she happened to know both spanish and english anyway? and how many math teachers are just going to happen to know spanish and english? this point seems sorta weird to me.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 4:17 pm

Huh? Where did that come from?  Why would you suggest that I  expect people in another country to learn a language to suit me because I was there?  If I was in another country for a number of years I am sure that I would come away with a working knowledge of the language though, but I realize it would be difficult.  Living where I do I see people struggling every day with the language, and I see people turning up their noses at people who are trying very hard to communicate, and to learn.  Too many people assume that because a person doesn't speak the language well that they don't want to speak the language at all, I find that far from the truth.  But some people need a reason to look down on others, and language is a way.
I was referring to the people who don't even try.  Noone has said it's easy to learn a foreign language and I give credit to those who are trying.  It's those who don't, then expect others to cater to them in THEIR native language that I have a problem with.  I grew up in a town that had a large Hispanic population.  Many of the older adults didn't even attempt to learn English, they just let their kids translate for them.  And, I'm not talking about people who had just come to the US, these were people who had been here for years and did not understand 1 word of English.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 4:27 pm

I was referring to the people who don't even try.  Noone has said it's easy to learn a foreign language and I give credit to those who are trying.  It's those who don't, then expect others to cater to them in THEIR native language that I have a problem with.  I grew up in a town that had a large Hispanic population.  Many of the older adults didn't even attempt to learn English, they just let their kids translate for them.  And, I'm not talking about people who had just come to the US, these were people who had been here for years and did not understand 1 word of English.

People like to point to the Latino population, but anyone who has sauntered into the North End in Boston, or
Little Italy in New York, will see the same thing, and think it is sooooo charming. ::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 4:31 pm

See Rice's quote:
I believe Mama K was referring to bilingual education, as in a teacher has to teach math to both English- and non-English-speaking students in the same class.  This creates a double workload for a teacher that should otherwise not be teaching foreign languages.

[quote author=

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 4:38 pm

Why do you assume that the parents aren't learning right along with the children.  I for one have found that to be the case, and as I said before, I live in a city with a huge, and very diversified immigrant community.
I used my community growing up as an example.  I've also seen the same thing with other nationalities.  There is a student at my sons' school whose mother only speaks French.  I saw her today at the "Mother's Tea" with the 2nd grade class and the daughter was translating for her.  When one of the other kids asked the daughter why her mom didn't speak English, the daughter said that her mom didn't want to. 

Written By: Tia on 05/12/06 at 4:50 pm

gasp! didn't want to learn english? well, let's deport her, then.

i'm at a loss as to why the right is so uptight about people learning english. if they don't want to learn english, i don't really care. they're gonna find life here kinda a pain in the butt, but whatever.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/12/06 at 4:53 pm

I used my community growing up as an example.  I've also seen the same thing with other nationalities.  There is a student at my sons' school whose mother only speaks French.  I saw her today at the "Mother's Tea" with the 2nd grade class and the daughter was translating for her.  When one of the other kids asked the daughter why her mom didn't speak English, the daughter said that her mom didn't want to. 

Well, to be fair, some people DO want to but cannot.  Both my grandmothers speak only Cantonese, but around 1996-1997 (when Hong Kong was about to be handed back to Communist China and everyone was flipping out), one decided to get Canadian citizenship and the other decided to come to America to become a citizen.  I'm not sure what Canada requires, but my grandma who went there decided that she needed to at least learn how to write the address and her name in case of an emergency where she'd have no translator.  I'm sure this is true of other nationalities as well, where they will memorize train and bus schedules and their emergency information.  She wanted to learn more but could not...she was too old.

My other grandmother, having been granted resident status, had to learn English in order to achieve citizenship.  In the end, she (being even older than my other grandma) could not get it either and after several tries, was given an exemption.  She is now a citizen, and not through lack of trying either.  

I'm sure both grandmothers still have their Mead notebooks full of their writing and spelling exercises stored somewhere.  They can at least say "Hello" and "Good morning" and when you say it, they know what you mean.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 5:38 pm

gasp! didn't want to learn english? well, let's deport her, then.

i'm at a loss as to why the right is so uptight about people learning english. if they don't want to learn english, i don't really care. they're gonna find life here kinda a pain in the butt, but whatever.
Can't....technically, she's an American citizen, as she was born in the US.  However, she was raised in France and hadn't been back here since she was 2.  Her husband is also a US citizen who was raised in France, but he was brought up bilingually and was transferred to the US 4 years ago.

Personally, I think if you don't want to learn English, fine, but don't bellyache that you're being discriminated against because XYZ is not in your language and/or you're not a US citizen.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/06 at 5:40 pm

Well, to be fair, some people DO want to but cannot. 
Oh, I know that.  It's those who don't even try who whine about how they're being treated that I have a problem with.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/12/06 at 5:43 pm

Oh, I know that.  It's those who don't even try who whine about how they're being treated that I have a problem with.

Me too.  My grandparents at least gave it a good shot.  Too bad it didn't work out for them.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/12/06 at 6:09 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Tia on 05/12/06 at 11:54 pm

Personally, I think if you don't want to learn English, fine, but don't bellyache that you're being discriminated against because XYZ is not in your language and/or you're not a US citizen.
hell, you're free to bellyache if you want. i won't understand it anyway. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/13/06 at 7:17 am

I worked with a woman from San Salvador whose story, if you heard it, would not only cause outrage, but would break your heart, the sh*t she'd been through.  She came here illegally, but made her way into the system, worked hard, and is now a citizen.  One day she was talking to another worker in Spanish and a guy(one of the bosses on the construction site) walked by and told them they are in America now, they had to speak English.  She, and she was a tiny(but fiesty) woman, turned and told him that yes she was in America now and that gave her the right to speak to her friend in any language that she wanted.  He looked a bit stunned.  Good on her.  The English only crowd seem to want to insist that everyone in the USA should speak english all the time when in public, even in private conversation.  It is another irrational way to control people, and another reason to complain. 

Written By: Tia on 05/13/06 at 8:18 am

I worked with a woman from San Salvador whose story, if you heard it, would not only cause outrage, but would break your heart, the sh*t she'd been through.  She came here illegally, but made her way into the system, worked hard, and is now a citizen.  One day she was talking to another worker in Spanish and a guy(one of the bosses on the construction site) walked by and told them they are in America now, they had to speak English.  She, and she was a tiny(but fiesty) woman, turned and told him that yes she was in America now and that gave her the right to speak to her friend in any language that she wanted.  He looked a bit stunned.  Good on her.  The English only crowd seem to want to insist that everyone in the USA should speak english all the time when in public, even in private conversation.  It is another irrational way to control people, and another reason to complain. 
yeah, i think with the you-must-learn-english crowd, they keep saying stuff like, well, we don't want to have to give them special privileges. which isn't particularly generous, but i sort-of agree. however, i rather think there's something else going on under the surface with all the immigration flap going on recently -- this phony belief in a "pure" america that can be preserved if you close the borders and carefully control everyone who comes in.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/13/06 at 8:41 am

you know what is really annoying to me?  When you go into one of those places that does your nails, and they are run by Asian people....and while you are sitting there, they insist on all talking to each other in their own language. I think if you have a business in the US, and you cater to English speaking individuals...you should at least have the decency to speak English.  I don't give a flying flip if they talk to each other in their own language at home, or anywhere outside of work....but when you are running a business, where the majority of people coming in are speaking English, then they should also be speaking English.

Written By: Tia on 05/13/06 at 8:54 am

i dunno about doing nails but it's cool in a restaurant when the staff hobnobs in a foreign language, gives it that authentic feel.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/13/06 at 9:06 am

you know what is really annoying to me?  When you go into one of those places that does your nails, and they are run by Asian people....and while you are sitting there, they insist on all talking to each other in their own language. I think if you have a business in the US, and you cater to English speaking individuals...you should at least have the decency to speak English.  I don't give a flying flip if they talk to each other in their own language at home, or anywhere outside of work....but when you are running a business, where the majority of people coming in are speaking English, then they should also be speaking English.

It is a business, It is there option to run it in a way they see fit(if it is lawful) if you don't like the way it is run you, and all the other patrons have the option of not using the services.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/06 at 10:12 am

"When you go into one of those places that does your nails, and they are run by Asian people..."
Is this suburban American parody, or what? I mean, no offense intended, but to some this may sound kind of...I mean, it might strike some foks as...That is, some people might get the idea you're...
Oh, never mind.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Mswan.JPG/180px-Mswan.JPG

Written By: danootaandme on 05/13/06 at 10:13 am

"When you go into one of those places that does your nails"
Is this suburban American parody, or what. I mean, no offense intended, but to some this may sound kind of...I mean, it might strike some foks as...That is, some people might get the idea you're...
Oh, never mind.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tails.gif

My thoughts exactly  ;)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/13/06 at 10:14 am

It's awful that this happens.  But let's keep it in perspective.  The "crowd" that behaves this way is not a majority of "the right".

Written By: CeeKay on 05/13/06 at 10:18 am

The first point -- this is the only thing I'm saying.  Speak whatever you want -- but this is a participatory government -- and if you want to vote and be involved, you've got to learn English to do that, or live in a state where the citizens have chosen to include your language as one of its own. 

And you know....if this issue is a passion....why not start a non-profit organization that helps immigrants learn English or that translates stuff for them.  One of my questions is....why does the government have to do everything?  If the burden fell on individuals with a passion for this -- if they'd take it on and work to address the issue from a private business standpoint -- particularly as a non profit where funding could come from philanthropists -- then less people would be griping.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/06 at 10:20 am

My thoughts exactly   ;)

I was thinking of Mad TV's recurring character "Miss Swan," as I modified my post above to include...

Written By: CeeKay on 05/13/06 at 10:24 am

Actually, I love that.  One thing I miss about living in a major urban area is the diversity of languages spoken there.  I think it's awesome.  (And if the people are being rude....like if they're making faces and looking at me and I think they're talking about me or something -- which has never happened -- then I'd just go somewhere else with my business).

See, we can all deal with this outside of the government.  I have a lady that works in my store -- she's from Bosnia and her English is rough at best.  And she sometimes needs to understand complicated documents -- like the rental agreement addendum she received at her apartment building.  So she brought it to work and I read through it and helped her understand what changes were taking place at her apartment complex.  And when she needed flight reservations and couldn't work through the system because she didn't understand -- we did it together.  And when she needed to get information from the immigration office for her citizenship, I made some of those phone calls for her.  I'm trying to make the point that, if we as private citizens step up to the plate, we can take alot of this out of the government's hands and life gets a little better around here.  JMHO.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/13/06 at 10:43 am

I was thinking of Mad TV's recurring character "Miss Swan," as I modified my post above to include...

I love Mad TV.  Why is it that people watch Saturday Night Live still?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/06 at 11:11 am

I love Mad TV.  Why is it that people watch Saturday Night Live still?

Hey, Mad TV has some hilarious bits. I especially like Michael James McDonald's "Stuart" character because he's soooo creepy it makes your skin crawl!
http://www.passionedsoul.com/fan/stuart/art/p3.jpg

As for SNL, Lorne Michaels just doesn't know when to quit. He may not even know how to quit, and, it seems, as long as SNL gets enough ratings to squeeeeze by, the network won't cancel it. It's gone from tired, to stale, to embarrassing!

But I'm straying waaaay off topic here!
:-X

Written By: danootaandme on 05/13/06 at 12:38 pm

It's awful that this happens.  But let's keep it in perspective.  The "crowd" that behaves this way is not a majority of "the right"

I know that the majority of the right doesn't behave this way, but all the people who do act this way do identify themselves as right(usually far right). What they actually are are jerks.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/13/06 at 12:46 pm

It is a business, It is there option to run it in a way they see fit(if it is lawful) if you don't like the way it is run you, and all the other patrons have the option of not using the services.

it's not only one business I am talking about, this has happened at numerous places that do nails (it's happened to me once or twice, and nearly everyone I encounter that has had their nails done). If you are going to have a business where your patrons almost all speak English, then you should have the common courtesy not to stand there and speak your language the entire time...it's impersonal and rude.

"When you go into one of those places that does your nails, and they are run by Asian people..."
Is this suburban American parody, or what? I mean, no offense intended, but to some this may sound kind of...I mean, it might strike some foks as...That is, some people might get the idea you're...
Oh, never mind.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Mswan.JPG/180px-Mswan.JPG

Well, I could have used other terms, but that would have definitely offended someone. ::)

Actually, I love that.  One thing I miss about living in a major urban area is the diversity of languages spoken there.  I think it's awesome.  (And if the people are being rude....like if they're making faces and looking at me and I think they're talking about me or something -- which has never happened -- then I'd just go somewhere else with my business).

Yes, sometimes they do make is very obvious that they are laughing at and/or making fun of the patrons in their own language, because they know that they can do it and get away with it. And no, I don't go to those places any longer, mainly because I don't have the money to spend on frivolous things...but if I did, I would make sure to go somewhere where you don't feel like you are being the topic of someone's conversation/jokes.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/13/06 at 1:25 pm

I know that the majority of the right doesn't behave this way, but all the people who do act this way do identify themselves as right(usually far right). What they actually are are jerks.

Agreed  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/06 at 3:59 pm

Eeeeyup! Jerks they are!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/13/06 at 4:02 pm

Thank God my parents aren't in the majority of the right.  If they were, I'd stop talking to them.

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/06 at 9:16 am

Thank God my parents aren't in the majority of the right.  If they were, I'd stop talking to them.

Why, because they would run rings around you with their intelligent thoughts.

?

Ah yes, the last resort of the Liberal, name calling  ::)

it's not only one business I am talking about, this has happened at numerous places that do nails (it's happened to me once or twice, and nearly everyone I encounter that has had their nails done). If you are going to have a business where your patrons almost all speak English, then you should have the common courtesy not to stand there and speak your language the entire time...it's impersonal and rude.

Yes it is impersonal and rude.
As our mothers taught us, If you have nothing nice to say Don't say anything at all!

The first point -- this is the only thing I'm saying.  Speak whatever you want -- but this is a participatory government -- and if you want to vote and be involved, you've got to learn English to do that, or live in a state where the citizens have chosen to include your language as one of its own. 

And you know....if this issue is a passion....why not start a non-profit organization that helps immigrants learn English or that translates stuff for them.  One of my questions is....why does the government have to do everything?  If the burden fell on individuals with a passion for this -- if they'd take it on and work to address the issue from a private business standpoint -- particularly as a non profit where funding could come from philanthropists -- then less people would be griping.

As I've said all along, you can speak whatever you want at home and to your friends, but if you need X document, or need to speak to so and so and Y agency, well then you need to learn at least basic English. Just enough to say "Can you speak slowly, my English is not very good."
English is the language of the VAST majority and majority rules.
Yes, all of these people who are so up in arms about the awful treatment these Spanish speaking folks receive, why are you not doing something? If it's such a big issue to you, why don't you put up signs around some of the hispanic parts of town saying "Will teach English for free." or "Will translate for free.".

I assume you all speak Spanish fluently, after all, we're supposed to be multi-cultural and diverse, we need to learn Spanish and they need to learn English, right?

i dunno about doing nails but it's cool in a restaurant when the staff hobnobs in a foreign language, gives it that authentic feel.

Sure, when in Rome etc..

However, when in Baltimore..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/06 at 11:49 am

Why, because they would run rings around you with their intelligent thoughts.

Yeah, just like George W. Bush and Dan Quayle!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/jaybee.gif

Ah yes, the last resort of the Liberal, name calling  ::)
You never hear conservervatives call names--except for pinhead, traitor, pervert, draft-dodger, godless commie, tree-hugger, cheese-eating surrender monkey, and that's in the first paragraph of the editorial. What about Dick Cheney calling Adam Clymer "major-league azzhole, or there was Ronnie Reagan, who called some reporters, "sons of b*tches," and there was good old Richard Mellon-Scaife, "you f**king communist c*nt, get out of here!" But until congress passes a law allowing you to shoot reporters on sight, what are you gonna do?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/cussing.gif

Yes it is impersonal and rude.
As our mothers taught us, If you have nothing nice to say Don't say anything at all!
If you don't have anything to say in English....

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/06 at 6:34 pm

If you don't have anything to say in English....

I'd say it's universal.

Written By: Tia on 05/14/06 at 7:35 pm

i still think there's a liberal in you waiting to get out, davey. you're too smart to be one'a them right wingers.

ten years from now you gonna be burnin' bras and going to demonstrations to lie in front of national guard personnel carriers. you got to put your body on the gears, baby! stop the grinding mechanism of government and corporate power! rise up!

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/14/06 at 9:09 pm

Oh he knows hes too smart.  I can tell.

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/06 at 9:19 pm

i still think there's a liberal in you waiting to get out, davey. you're too smart to be one'a them right wingers.

ten years from now you gonna be burnin' bras and going to demonstrations to lie in front of national guard personnel carriers. you got to put your body on the gears, baby! stop the grinding mechanism of government and corporate power! rise up!

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/06 at 12:15 am

I'm sorry, since when did stupidity become synonymous with being a right leaning guy?

Since...
http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/wp-content/rush.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/06 at 12:22 am

Since...
http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/wp-content/rush.jpg

:P You know as well as I do that there really isn't anything that can be said about that.

;D

Written By: Tia on 05/15/06 at 4:43 am

I'm sorry, since when did stupidity become synonymous with being a right leaning guy?

maxwell's answer is actually way better than mine could ever be but i rather think the right trades in looking sorta dim. reagan and g.w. bush both very deliberately cultivate an image of not being terribly bright. they market it as "straight talking." case in point: "nookyewlur?" i'm sure someone's told dubb how to pronounce that correctly by now, but he keeps saying it wrong deliberately. it appeals to the inbred tennessee crowd, and they know that's their base. so that's who they play to. reagan did the same thing. newkyoolur. it's like the finger on the button had a string tied around it.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 9:27 am

Also if you talk like a hick the hicks won't notice when you and your corporate buddies are riding their azzes, financially speaking that is. :P :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 10:18 am

maxwell's answer is actually way better than mine could ever be but i rather think the right trades in looking sorta dim. reagan and g.w. bush both very deliberately cultivate an image of not being terribly bright. they market it as "straight talking." case in point: "nookyewlur?" i'm sure someone's told dubb how to pronounce that correctly by now, but he keeps saying it wrong deliberately. it appeals to the inbred tennessee crowd, and they know that's their base. so that's who they play to. reagan did the same thing. newkyoolur. it's like the finger on the button had a string tied around it.

I don't think he's that smart.  I think he legitimately doesn't know how to say it.  I'm sure he could be told a thousand times the right way to say it, and he'd still do it wrong.  It's the same way with people in the New England area dropping "r's" from words.  You say "car", they'll "cah".  You keep telling them it's car, they'll keep telling you it's cah.  It's just how they speak.  Bush isn't enlightened enough to do it on purpose to play to a base of any kind. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 10:24 am

When I really got into English as a teen, I made a concentrated effort to rid myself of "Southern-isms" and I feel for the most part I've been succesful at it.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 10:43 am

I don't think he's that smart.  I think he legitimately doesn't know how to say it.  I'm sure he could be told a thousand times the right way to say it, and he'd still do it wrong.  It's the same way with people in the New England area dropping "r's" from words.  You say "car", they'll "cah".  You keep telling them it's car, they'll keep telling you it's cah.  It's just how they speak.  Bush isn't enlightened enough to do it on purpose to play to a base of any kind. 

There is a difference between regional accents and mispronunciation, saying "cah" for "car" or "ant" for "aunt" may grate on one, but they are relatively benign differences.  Bush went to Philips Andover, Yale, and Harvard and is well aware of how to pronounce nuclear.  Everything he does is scripted, this is one more thing.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 10:46 am

There is a difference between regional accents and mispronunciation, saying "cah" for "car" or "ant" for "aunt" may grate on one, but they are relatively benign differences.  Bush went to Philips Andover, Yale, and Harvard and is well aware of how to pronounce nuclear.  Everything he does is scripted, this is one more thing.

Thats very true.  You can avoid saying "aint" and "Yall" but still have a Southern ACCENT.  You can pronounce EVERYTHING technically correct, but still be using a regional accent in which to do it.

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 10:49 am

I've always pronounced the word "aunt" as "ant"; very rarely do I hear "awnt."

And I agree with your last statement about GW.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 10:52 am

I've always pronounced the word "aunt" as "ant"; very rarely do I hear "awnt."

And I agree with your last statement about GW.

I say "awnt".

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 10:53 am

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 10:55 am

I guess they pronounce it differently in different parts of the country. I don't think I've heard any Californians saying it like that.

I was using that to illustrate that there are regional differences in speech, one is different, but neither one nor the other is considered incorrect.  Saying "nucular" for nuclear" is.

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 10:58 am

I was using that to illustrate that there are regional differences in speech, one is different, but neither one nor the other is considered incorrect.  Saying "nucular" for nuclear" is.

You're absolutely right about nucular; that's not how it's spelled, so why should anyone say it like that? ::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 10:59 am

I guess they pronounce it differently in different parts of the country. I don't think I've heard any Californians saying it like that.

None else here says "awnt", they all say "ant" too.

I don't sound like anyone around here.

I say "flOrida" not "flawrida", "dictionree" not "dictionairee", "febwuary" not "febyouwary", and for the days I don't say "mondee, tuesdee, wednesdee" I say "monDAY, tuesDAY" etc.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 11:02 am

You're absolutely right about nucular; that's not how it's spelled, so why should anyone say it like that? ::)

It doesn't always work that way.  English isn't a phonetic language(partly thanks to the Norman French influence).

For example, you have the word Dictionary, but I believe the proper pronunciation is actually "dictionree" even though it isn't spelled that way.

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 11:02 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 11:06 am

Tomayto, tomotto.

:-\\

I'm not sure about that.  While more than one pronunciation may be correct, isn't there always a preferred one?

Written By: karen on 05/15/06 at 11:13 am

[quote author=

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 11:13 am

[quote author=

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 11:14 am

Collins says either is correct.

Collins says tomarto

Wait a second... toMARto? There's no "r" in the word.

Written By: karen on 05/15/06 at 11:17 am

Wait a second... toMARto? There's no "r" in the word.

There's no 'y' or 'ot' either

that was to indicate how to pronounce the 'a'.  The same way you pronounce the 'a' in father or the middle bit of heart.

Written By: nally on 05/15/06 at 11:19 am

There's no 'y' or 'ot' either

that was to indicate how to pronounce the 'a'.  The same way you pronounce the 'a' in father or the middle bit of heart.

oh.

The "y" and "ot" were there to indicate the pronunciation too.

Written By: karen on 05/15/06 at 11:19 am

The "y" and "ot" were there to indicate the pronunciation too.

I knew that

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 12:33 pm

Everything he does is scripted, this is one more thing.

I don't think he intentionally sounds stupid.  It comes natural to him.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 1:27 pm

Collins? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 1:28 pm

[quote author=

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/15/06 at 1:33 pm

Webster's says it's the 4-syllable pronunciation:  dik-shu-nar-ee (that's not exactly how they show it, but I don't know how to do the 'upside down e' that they show)

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 1:34 pm

Huh!  Never heard of it. All I've heard of is Webster and Oxford.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0007109830/qid=1147717695/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-2854393-8627112?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Written By: Tia on 05/15/06 at 1:56 pm

Webster's says it's the 4-syllable pronunciation:  dik-shu-nar-ee (that's not exactly how they show it, but I don't know how to do the 'upside down e' that they show)
wow. you have more karma than posts. i've never seen that before.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/15/06 at 1:59 pm

wow. you have more karma than posts. i've never seen that before.
Quality over quantity ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/15/06 at 2:01 pm

Quality over quantity ;)

Don't you mean "my karma was carried over from my old account"? ;)

;D :P

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 2:26 pm

This was a post about Spanish.  What we have in these last few posts is a bunch of English speakers
who can't altogether agree on the English language.  :D

Written By: Tia on 05/15/06 at 2:30 pm

This was a post about Spanish.  What we have in these last few posts is a bunch of English speakers
who can't altogether agree on the English language.   :D
somebody should start a bushisms thread. although I'm sure there's been one or two already.

Written By: karen on 05/16/06 at 3:24 am

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/06 at 3:48 pm

somebody should start a bushisms thread. although I'm sure there's been one or two already.

Only Bushisms no longer make me laugh, they now make me wanna run and hide under the bed!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

(One nation, under the bed...)

Written By: Tia on 05/17/06 at 4:09 pm

Only Bushisms no longer make me laugh, they now make me wanna run and hide under the bed!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

(One nation, under the bed...)
remember some of the choicer reaganisms? "the bombing will begin in five minutes." he's probably lucky he didn't accidently trigger WWIII.

Check for new replies or respond here...