» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Thank you Stephen Colbert

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/02/06 at 12:20 pm

http://www.thankyoustephencolbert.org/

if you only watch the TV news reports, you'd think the only thing that happened at the White House Correspondant's Dinner was some really bad Bush has a "twin" sketch he performed.  If you check it out online however, you'll see that Stephen Colbert roasted him for a good 20 minutes, in a very blistering satire of a right-wing blowhard (think Bill O'Reilly) giving "praise".

read the transcript here, or see it online at the above linked site

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811

contains great gems, like this one:

I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound -- with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world.

or this one:

The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will. As excited as I am to be here with the president, I am appalled to be surrounded by the liberal media that is destroying America, with the exception of Fox News. Fox News gives you both sides of every story:  the president's side, and the vice president's side.

this one is just plain great:

And, of course, we can't forget the man of the hour, new press secretary, Tony Snow. Secret Service name, "Snow Job." Toughest job. What a hero! Took the second toughest job in government, next to, of course, the ambassador to Iraq.

The unease of the president and the crowd is quite something to behold.  There's always talk about how these things are never edgy, yet when something edgy is performed, they ignore it. "liberal" media indeed.

Subject: Re: Thank you Stephen Colbert

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 2:10 pm

I saw, like everyone else, the "twin" thing.  So carefully staged to give the appearance of an edge, and bush
accepting this all in good fun, but kept waiting for other parts of the show which is supposed to be known for some hard nosed ribbing.  Thanks for giving us some of the real show.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/02/06 at 2:26 pm

Stephen is my hero!

Written By: YWN on 05/02/06 at 2:45 pm

Yes, I did see the Colbert speech on Youtube in its entirety.  I loved the part with Helen Thomas. 

Helen Thomas:  ...*slowly approaches*

Stephen Colbert:  :o Noooooooooo!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/02/06 at 9:47 pm

I would have liked to been there!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/02/06 at 9:59 pm

By this my favorite clip on the net, right now!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MRqM-y-Eclo&search=%20Charlene%20%28I%27m%20right%20behind%20you%29%20

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/03/06 at 7:51 am

four days after the dinner, the "liberal" New York Times actually had a mention about, mostly quotes from White House people about how undignified it was.  Imagine, the president is able to laugh at himself in a carefully rehearsed script, but heaven forbid someone actually give him a real roasting.  Must have hit too close to home for comfort.

Written By: McDonald on 05/03/06 at 11:15 am

Stephen Colbert is the man. I love his show, and I'm so pissed that I missed him on 60 Minutes on Sunday. He's so hilarious, and intelligent.

Written By: zcrito on 05/03/06 at 9:07 pm

I saw the C-SPAN coverage of the White House Correspondents dinner.

Stephen Colbert's routine was just plain awful. It bombed big time.

I was really looking forward for something good from him but maybe the previous "act" was just too tough to follow. He couldn't keep the momentum going and starting dying right away. No one was laughing at all.

Whenever the camera panned the audience during the Pres.Bush and his look-a-like (Steve Bridges) routine everyone was laughing, and they were laughing often. Steve Corbert got mostly polite chuckles every now and then. I really felt sorry for the guy. I felt even more sorry for him when after he was done and was leaving the stage he leaned over and planted a big ol' kiss on the cheek of Helen Thomas. Yuk!

(And anyone else notice Jeff "Skunk" Baxter of the Doobie Brothers in the crowd?)

That Pres. Bush routine on C-SPAN and comedian J. Lamont on this week's Tom Joyner Sky Show (in Detroit this time) were two of the funniest things I've seen and heard this year.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 2:24 am

I saw Colbert's routine. It wasn't funny because it was too true. True, sick, and scary!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/06 at 6:41 am

I saw the C-SPAN coverage of the White House Correspondents dinner.

Stephen Colbert's routine was just plain awful. It bombed big time.

I was really looking forward for something good from him but maybe the previous "act" was just too tough to follow. He couldn't keep the momentum going and starting dying right away. No one was laughing at all.

no the crowd laughed at first.  even Bush was laughing.  it's when he kept going, kept digging at the mistakes this administration made, the crowd got silent. Why?  It hit a little too close to home, especially for the press, since they've enabled this president for the past six years.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/04/06 at 4:04 pm

no the crowd laughed at first.  even Bush was laughing.  it's when he kept going, kept digging at the mistakes this administration made, the crowd got silent. Why?  It hit a little too close to home, especially for the press, since they've enabled this president for the past six years.

I think they've been doing that forever.  There are numerous examples of political cartoons dating back to Teapot Dome and even pre-Civil War lampooning Presidents, and of course you have Dan Aykroyd doing Jimmy Carter and Phil Hartman doing Reagan on SNL.  I think the biggest difference between Bush and, say, Clinton, is that Clinton actually laughed at himself no matter what...which is why, even though I didn't quite agree with his politics, I still thought he was pretty cool.

Written By: zcrito on 05/04/06 at 4:43 pm

I know, you gotta really, really dig for those mistakes.    ::)

Colbert started out on a high-note simply because the "act" before him worked so well. A minute into his "routine" and the audience could see he wasn't doing or saying anything clever or original. Everyone wanted to laugh but couldn't -- because he wasn't funny or interesting.

The kind of people at the dinner (and many who saw it on C-SPAN) probably found it offensive and have a hard time getting their so called "truths" from silly arrogant clowns like Stephen Colbert.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/06 at 5:09 pm

I know, you gotta really, really dig for those mistakes.    ::)

Colbert started out on a high-note simply because the "act" before him worked so well. A minute into his "routine" and the audience could see he wasn't doing or saying anything clever or original. Everyone wanted to laugh but couldn't -- because he wasn't funny or interesting.

The kind of people at the dinner (and many who saw it on C-SPAN) probably found it offensive and have a hard time getting their so called "truths" from silly arrogant clowns like Stephen Colbert.

"Arrogant clown" is not Colbert the man, but Colbert the act. He is parodying the rightwing media blowhards, most ostensively, Bill O'Reilly. Bill O'Reilly is an arrogant clown, and that's his nicest quality!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 9:00 am

The act beforehand killed because that's all these people want.  It's not offensive because it doesn't say anything we haven't seen every comedian pick fun of on TV for the past six years. Safe and predictable, like an NBC sitcom. It runs well on TV, because it doesn't say anything negative about Mr. 33%.

Unfortunately, the only way you will find truth on television right now is from comedians.  I think that's far more offensive than anything he said.  Look at what the press focuses on in this country, and you'll realize that a missing drunk white girl in Aruba is far more important than any of the misdeeds of this administration.

Arrogrance is the act incidently.  Watch any of the right-wing clowns that inhabit the air (Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, etc) and youll see what passes for political commentary in this country.  Satire is clearly not something people grasp anymore.

Written By: McDonald on 05/05/06 at 11:32 am

Umm, I recently watched the act in its entirety and found it brilliant and quite evasive to the Bush blowhards. Also, I noted that there were laughs thoughout the routine, just not from everybody, since Colbert was directly criticising most of the audience themselves for having done poor job as journalists during the past 6 years covering this administration.

Zcrito, more like "Z cr

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/05/06 at 11:34 am

The act beforehand killed because that's all these people want.  It's not offensive because it doesn't say anything we haven't seen every comedian pick fun of on TV for the past six years. Safe and predictable, like an NBC sitcom. It runs well on TV, because it doesn't say anything negative about Mr. 33%.

Unfortunately, the only way you will find truth on television right now is from comedians.  I think that's far more offensive than anything he said.  Look at what the press focuses on in this country, and you'll realize that a missing drunk white girl in Aruba is far more important than any of the misdeeds of this administration.

Arrogrance is the act incidently.  Watch any of the right-wing clowns that inhabit the air (Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, etc) and youll see what passes for political commentary in this country.  Satire is clearly not something people grasp anymore.

Chucky I love you!  :-*

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/23/06 at 1:31 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/22/business/media/22colbert.html?ex=1305950400&en=bd5ae4f3a76aa168&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

guess what is top of the iTunes album chart?

An audio version of the roast of President Bush by Stephen Colbert of Comedy Central rose to the rank of No. 1 album at Apple's iTunes store on Saturday, three weeks to the night of the White House Correspondents Dinner. Also in the Top 10 were new releases by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Paul Simon.

must have been really unfunny to make people want to part with money to hear it

Written By: Tia on 05/23/06 at 3:28 pm

After that dinner my conservative, fox-news watching housemate storms out of the room now whenever Stephen Colbert comes on, muttering obscenities about how he's a useless idiot.

Makes me think he did something very, very right, ole steve. That took brass ones, too, right in front of bush like that.

Jon stewart definitely made me hero list too when he dressed down that dude with the bow tie on one of the Sunday morning talk shows a few months ago.

Samantha bee's still my favorite though. Samantha! Call me! I'll be up late.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/06 at 5:14 pm

After that dinner my conservative, fox-news watching housemate storms out of the room now whenever Stephen Colbert comes on, muttering obscenities about how he's a useless idiot.

Makes me think he did something very, very right, ole steve. That took brass ones, too, right in front of bush like that.

Jon stewart definitely made me hero list too when he dressed down that dude with the bow tie on one of the Sunday morning talk shows a few months ago.

Samantha bee's still my favorite though. Samantha! Call me! I'll be up late.

This Administration does a lot of things they don't want people to realize they do. When Colbert pointed them out, of course there was an uncomfortable silence. They didn't "roast" Mussolini. Humor is anathema to fascism.

Check for new replies or respond here...