» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Porter Goss Resigns at CIA

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 3:28 pm

In reference to outing a CIA agent: "Somebody sends me a blue dress and some DNA, I'll have an investigation."

Why resign so suddenly?  His family need him that badly? 

His number 3 guy at the CIA who was at some of those poker parties that Porter was at (buy is denying) said Baker was

Subject: Re: Porter Goss Resigns at CIA

Written By: danootaandme on 05/05/06 at 3:39 pm

Another one bites the dust.  Maybe they should make up those playing cards like they did for the Iraq war with
pictures of the most wanted. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/06 at 4:38 pm

Another one bites the dust.  Maybe they should make up those playing cards like they did for the Iraq war with
pictures of the most wanted. 

We got a deck like that. My sister-in-law gave them to us a long time ago. It has oil, gas, and energy companies on the spades; military and defense contractores on the clubs; heads of industry, finance, media, policy, and hype on the diamonds; and yes, the U.S. government officicals on the hearts (because they love you). And of course Dubya is the "Jerk" (not the joker).

You can check them out for yourself (and buy a deck if you want). They may have other ones.

http://www.ruckus.org/warprofiteers/

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/05/06 at 4:44 pm

We got a deck like that. My sister-in-law gave them to us a long time ago. It has oil, gas, and energy companies on the spades; military and defense contractores on the clubs; heads of industry, finance, media, policy, and hype on the diamonds; and yes, the U.S. government officicals on the hearts (because they love you). And of course Dubya is the "Jerk" (not the joker).

You can check them out for yourself (and buy a deck if you want). They may have other ones.

Cat

Gooood ooooone.  Thanks    ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/06 at 4:49 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif
There is some sick, sick stuff afoot in the CIA (Creepy Individuals Association) and we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. If this is the stuff that got out, imagine the stuff that's still in!
I expected no different from the CIA and the federal government at large after the Supreme Court handed the 2000 election to Dubya. From that day forward the Executive Branch became a criminal enterprise. This is what you get when the citizens of a nation tolerate organized crime taking over highest echelons of government in order to loot the public resources.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pirate2.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 4:52 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif
There is some sick, sick stuff afoot in the CIA (Creepy Individuals Association) and we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. If this is the stuff that got out, imagine the stuff that's still in!
I expected no different from the CIA and the federal government at large after the Supreme Court handed the 2000 election to Dubya. From that day forward the Executive Branch became a criminal enterprise. This is what you get when the citizens of a nation tolerate organized crime taking over highest echelons of government in order to loot the public resources.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pirate2.gif

I've read a lot of your posts and I get the distinct impression that you don't like this country.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/06 at 5:06 pm

I've read a lot of your posts and I get the distinct impression that you don't like this country.

Nope. I don't like who runs this country. There is a difference, you know. If you think one must approve of the powers that be in order to love your country, then I guess I hate America.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

I'm not going to soapbox it here, but our Founding Fathers would want us to throw these bums out! Our most revered presidents of yore, from Thomas Jefferson, to Abraham Lincoln, to both Roosevelts, to John F. Kennedy would be dismayed and sickened by the degree to which corporations now control the American government and the American people.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
--Thomas Jefferson

Can't handle the truth? Go pump rightwing morphine with Sean Hannity!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/pump.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 5:08 pm

Nope. I don't like who runs this country. There is a difference, you know. If you think one must approve of the powers that be in order to love your country, then I hate America.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

I'm not going to soapbox it here, but our Founding Fathers would want us to throw these bums out! Our most revered presidents of yore, from Thomas Jefferson, to Abraham Lincoln, to both Roosevelts, to John F. Kennedy would be dismayed and sickened by the degree to which corporations now control the American government and the American people.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
--Thomas Jefferson

Can't handle the truth? Go pump rightwing morphine with Sean Hannity!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/pump.gif

Obnoxious smilies don't help prove your point. 

And I never said that you have to approve of the leaders to like the country.  Please find where I said that or don't say it at all.  What I said was, you seem to bash the country every chance you get.  I haven't seen you say one good thing about it in any of your posts. 

And I've said DOZENS of times that I'm a Democrat, so your last statement is just silly.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/06 at 5:47 pm

Obnoxious smilies don't help prove your point. 

And I never said that you have to approve of the leaders to like the country.  Please find where I said that or don't say it at all.  What I said was, you seem to bash the country every chance you get.  I haven't seen you say one good thing about it in any of your posts. 

And I've said DOZENS of times that I'm a Democrat, so your last statement is just silly.

Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller are democrats too, and I wouldn't pee on either of them if they were on fire (make that, I would only NOT pee on them if they were on fire!)

Furthermore, I am a citizen of the United States of America. However, my "country" is the international proletariat. And again, I do not bash America. I bash the people who run America. This federal government did not derive its authority by a mandate from the electorate. They are corporate thugs acting on behalf of other corporate thugs.

America is not an innocent country. We have many amends to make for our treatment of other nations and peoples around the world. I want to see my country make amends and start doing right by its own proletariat and the proletariats of nations world-wide. Saying to me "you don't love your country" because I want my country to change its ways is like a drug-addicted teen saying his parents don't love him because they want him to kick the heroin habit.  That brings me back to what Al Franken said about the difference between conservatives and liberals on patriotism.

"Liberals love their country like adults love one another.
Conservatives love their country the way a three-year-old loves his mommy and daddy."

--Al Franken

I am sorry if I offend you Sister M., but for your own good, and regardless of whether you identify as a Democrat or a liberal, you have been drinking badly spiked rightwing Kool-Aid, and I think you ought to find the antidote!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 5:49 pm

I am sorry if I offend you Sister M., but for your own good, and regardless of whether you identify as a Democrat or a liberal, you have been drinking badly spiked rightwing Kool-Aid, and I think you ought to find the antidote!

You did offend me and you couldn't me be more wrong.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/06 at 5:55 pm

Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller are democrats too, and I wouldn't pee on either of them if they were on fire (make that, I would only NOT pee on them if they were on fire!)

Furthermore, I am a citizen of the United States of America. However, my "country" is the international proletariat. And again, I do not bash America. I bash the people who run America. This federal government did not derive its authority by a mandate from the electorate. They are corporate thugs acting on behalf of other corporate thugs.

America is not an innocent country. We have many amends to make for our treatment of other nations and peoples around the world. I want to see my country make amends and start doing right by its own proletariat and the proletariats of nations world-wide. Saying to me "you don't love your country" because I want my country to change its ways is like a drug-addicted teen saying his parents don't love him because they want him to kick the heroin habit.  That brings me back to what Al Franken said about the difference between conservatives and liberals on patriotism.

Conservatives love their country the way a three-year-old loves his mommy and daddy."

--Al Franken

Applause.

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/05/06 at 6:00 pm

Under his term, the CIA's numbers went from 100,000 to 75,000.

Other than that, I don't care one way or another about him or this basic non-story about him resigning.

Written By: Tia on 05/05/06 at 6:02 pm

the cliche is, patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. although that should probably be revised to substitute "patriotism" with "nationalism."

the CIA is a scary organization. i'm sure a lot of people who work for it are well-intentioned, and there probably are a lot of aspects of the CIA that do important work, but their history is so caught up in torture, assassination, orchestration of coups, support of dictators, all sorts of funny business, that it's not surprising they'd have a turnaround like they got at mcdonalds. that said, the CIA has largely been an adversary of the administration about the iraq war. the administration keeps trying to pin the blame for the war on "bad intelligence" from the CIA and the CIA, understandably, doesn't appreciate it.

anyway, the people who really hate this country are the ones who start a war based on a lie for obviously opportunistic reasons. they have no problem raking america over the coals for personal gain and acquisition of political power and anyone who loves america should revile this administration.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/06 at 6:13 pm

You did offend me and you couldn't me be more wrong.

I am sorry you're offended, but you did suggest I don't love my country. I don't know what you expect when you make such a charge, but as yet another great man said:

"IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!"
--Harry S Truman

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/firedevil.gif

the cliche is, patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. although that should probably be revised to substitute "patriotism" with "nationalism."

the CIA is a scary organization. i'm sure a lot of people who work for it are well-intentioned, and there probably are a lot of aspects of the CIA that do important work, but their history is so caught up in torture, assassination, orchestration of coups, support of dictators, all sorts of funny business, that it's not surprising they'd have a turnaround like they got at mcdonalds. that said, the CIA has largely been an adversary of the administration about the iraq war. the administration keeps trying to pin the blame for the war on "bad intelligence" from the CIA and the CIA, understandably, doesn't appreciate it.

anyway, the people who really hate this country are the ones who start a war based on a lie for obviously opportunistic reasons. they have no problem raking america over the coals for personal gain and acquisition of political power and anyone who loves america should revile this administration.

TIA, YOU ROCK!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/05/06 at 6:21 pm

--Al Franken

Hey now, what's wrong with the way 3 year olds love their mom and dad.  :) Also, you may not bash the country, but you bash the people who run it with so much glee, that it's easy to get it mixed up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/06 at 6:43 pm

Hey now, what's wrong with the way 3 year olds love their mom and dad.  :) Also, you may not bash the country, but you bash the people who run it with so much glee, that it's easy to get it mixed up.

A three-year-old's love for his parents is a beautiful thing because it is so innocent, trusting, and utterly dependent. Where we run into problems is with lying and abusive parents. The conservative grass-roots (those who work for a buck and can't just live on dividends) are as a three-year-old being abused by his parents. They cannot understand what is happening to them and cannot comprehend how their parents--the rightwing superstructure--could possibly be wrong. Their minds are confused, their emotions are twisted, and they lash out at their peers! How much further did you want to carry the analogy?
Furthermore, my "bashing" has not been gleeful, it's been horrified and distressed. There is a glint of glee watching these evil bastids self-destruct, but that's a recent development.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 8:37 pm

Under his term, the CIA's numbers went from 100,000 to 75,000.

Other than that, I don't care one way or another about him or this basic non-story about him resigning.

and how many of that 25,000 moved to Homeland Security or retired?  deck chairs on the Hindenburg...

I personally know of at least one fed. who retired early after seeing his entire 20+ group moved out from under him for the terrorist snipe hunt. 

Written By: Tia on 05/07/06 at 12:58 pm

there's some other expression about the job of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. i forget how it goes exactly, but you get the point.

Written By: Satish on 05/07/06 at 1:10 pm

there's some other expression about the job of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. i forget how it goes exactly, but you get the point.

I think it goes "The government of a country is not the country. A patriot must always be willing to defend his country from its government."

I remember it was used in the movie JFK. Kevin Costner's character says it during one of the court room scenes.

Written By: Tia on 05/07/06 at 1:16 pm

I think it goes "The government of a country is not the country. A patriot must always be willing to defend his country from its government."

I remember it was used in the movie JFK. Kevin Costner's character says it during one of the court room scenes.
dazzit. thanks.

Check for new replies or respond here...