» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Alabama candidate's views startle democrats

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/13/06 at 10:58 pm

Ala. Candidate's Views Startle Democrats
The Associated Press
By: Jay Reeves
05/12/2006

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Democratic Party leaders are wondering what to do about a candidate for attorney general who denies the Holocaust occurred and wants to "reawaken white racial awareness."

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060512/capt.nyet80005122304.darby_nyet800.jpg?x=180&y=117&sig=DXlMKlBV7pAilKMbWf3J8Q--
Larry Darby listens to comments during a rally sponsored by the Atheist Law Center

Larry Darby, the founder of the Atheist Law Center, made an abortive bid for the AG job as a Libertarian in 2002, but only recently have his views on race and the Holocaust come to light.

He has no money for campaign advertising and has made only a few campaign speeches, but garnered 12 percent support in the June 6 primary in a poll of 400 registered voters last month.

The poll, which was conducted by a university professor for Alabama media outlets and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points, shows Mobile County District Attorney John Tyson ahead with 21 percent of the vote but about two-thirds of respondents undecided.

The state Democratic chairman, Joe Turnham, said the party began an investigation last week after hearing about some of Darby's comments in a television interview.

While the party supports the free-speech rights of any candidate, Turnham said some of Darby's views appear to be in "a realm of thought that is unacceptable."

"Any type of hatred toward groups of people, especially for political gain, is completely unacceptable in the Alabama Democratic Party," said Turnham.

It is unclear whether the party could do anything at this point, although the party could decline to certify the results should he win.

In an interview Friday with The Associated Press, Darby said he believes no more than 140,000 Jewish people died in Europe during World War II, and most of them succumbed to typhus.

Historians say about 6 million Jews were slaughtered by the Nazis, but Darby said the figure is a false claim of the "Holocaust industry."

Darby said he will speak Saturday near Newark, N.J., at a meeting of National Vanguard, which bills itself as an advocate for the white race. Some of his campaign materials are posted on the group's Internet site.

"It's time to stop pushing down the white man. We've been discriminated against too long," Darby said in the interview.

Tyson said he does not consider Darby to be a serious candidate.

"I am astonished as anyone has ever been that anyone is running for public office in Alabama on that platform," he said.

The winner of the Democratic primary will face either Attorney General Troy King or Mark Montiel, his opponent in the Republican primary.

Link

Subject: Re: Alabama candidate's views startle democrats

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/14/06 at 12:21 am

He disgusts me.

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/06 at 9:30 pm

Whilst he appears to have slept through History 101 I have no major objections to him.

He's an atheist and is standing up for equality.
After all, say what you will, anti-discrimination laws discriminate against nobody except white males.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/14/06 at 11:30 pm

Whilst he appears to have slept through History 101 I have no major objections to him.

He's an atheist and is standing up for equality.
After all, say what you will, anti-discrimination laws discriminate against nobody except white males.

Well, you know the white male had it so hard through life.  ::)  Who can he not discriminate against this time?  ???

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/06 at 11:35 pm

Well, you know the white male had it so hard through life.  ::)  Who can he not discriminate against this time?  ???

I don't think you understood what I said.

Here is as good a place as any to address this issue.

I'm all for equality, that's fine with me, all things equal right.

My point is this and I will use obvious examples.

On television, who is the punchline of every joke? Why it's the dumb white male of course, because it's not right to 'discriminate' against anybody else  ::)

This guy is a fairly worthless candidate but the fact that he's at least standing up to the PC mob makes him OK in my book.

Of course, denying the holocaust took place kind of takes him back to square one.

I've never understood the holocaust denial folks.
They usually tend to be seriously anti-semitic.. thus.. If I had wiped out 6,000,000 of the people I hated, I'd be bragging about it, not covering it up.

"Yeah, I killed 20,000,000 Pinko Hippie Commies!"  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/06 at 11:57 pm

I don't think you understood what I said.

Here is as good a place as any to address this issue.

I'm all for equality, that's fine with me, all things equal right.

On television, who is the punchline of every joke? Why it's the dumb white male of course, because it's not right to 'discriminate' against anybody else  ::)

This guy is a fairly worthless candidate but the fact that he's at least standing up to the PC mob makes him OK in my book.

Of course, denying the holocaust took place kind of takes him back to square one.

I've never understood the holocaust denial folks.
They usually tend to be seriously anti-semitic.. thus.. If I had wiped out 6,000,000 of the people I hated, I'd be bragging about it, not covering it up.

"Yeah, I killed 20,000,000 Pinko Hippie Commies!"  ;D

You're a very strange fellow!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hal.gif

Look, in a nation of 300 million, you're going to have more than a few cranks, and at least a few of that more-than-a-few are going to run for public office. Looks like this jackweed is going to lose, so I wouldn't pay him any mind. Maybe he'll get a teaching job in the Ukraine, like David Duke!

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/06 at 12:07 am

You're a very strange fellow!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hal.gif

Thank ya sir.

Look, in a nation of 300 million, you're going to have more than a few cranks, and at least a few of that more-than-a-few are going to run for public office. Looks like this jackweed is going to lose, so I wouldn't pay him any mind. Maybe he'll get a teaching job in the Ukraine, like David Duke!

Oh he can't be taken seriously, he could win the nomination but nobody would run him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/06 at 12:11 am

Oh he can't be taken seriously, he could win the nomination but nobody would run him.

On the other hand, he might be a political gadfly for thirty years, like Lyndon LaRouche!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/06 at 12:13 am

On the other hand, he might be a political gadfly for thirty years, like Lyndon LaRouche!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Let's ease up on my name-sake there.

LaRouche is an interesting character.

I didn't know all that much about him but took it upon myself to research the chap.

Very very odd but interesting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/06 at 12:17 am

Let's ease up on my name-sake there.

Huh?

LaRouche is an interesting character.

I didn't know all that much about him but took it upon myself to research the chap.

Very very odd but interesting.

You can say that again!

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/06 at 12:22 am

Huh?

La Roche - La Rouche...

You can say that again!

Of course.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 2:34 pm

"Alabama candidate's views startle democrats"  Hmmmmm.....well it is good news to me that his views
startle democrats.  It is a bit troublesome that there isn't anything there to indicate that his views
startle Republicans. 

Written By: Mushroom on 05/17/06 at 8:59 am

"Alabama candidate's views startle democrats"   Hmmmmm.....well it is good news to me that his views
startle democrats.  It is a bit troublesome that there isn't anything there to indicate that his views
startle Republicans. 

Of course, the Democrats have a long history in Alabama of racism and discrimination.

Eugene "Bull" Connor was a life-long Democrat, as was Governor George Wallace.

"Segregation today, segregation tommorrow, segregation forever!"  Governor George Wallace (D)

"In Birmingham the love the Governor! (Booo-Booo-Booo)" Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/18/06 at 1:05 am

Well, it's about time he gets his fair share of being the punchline of every joke.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/18/06 at 1:07 am

Of course, the Democrats have a long history in Alabama of racism and discrimination.

Eugene "Bull" Connor was a life-long Democrat, as was Governor George Wallace.

"Segregation today, segregation tommorrow, segregation forever!"  Governor George Wallace (D)

"In Birmingham the love the Governor! (Booo-Booo-Booo)" Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Different era, different Democratic Party. Just like the Republicans of today cannot be considered the same of yesteryear.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/18/06 at 4:36 am

Alabama Repubs have the same history, qualifying to a specific political group is redundant

Different era, different Democratic Party. Just like the Republicans of today cannot be considered the same of yesteryear.

Party of Lincoln,  Yeah, right.  Wash their mouths out with LIE soap.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 8:01 am

The Dems and Repubs basically switched places.  Today's Republicans are the ideological descendants of those "Dixiecrats".

Written By: Mushroom on 05/18/06 at 10:07 am

God, I absolutely love how things in here get turned around, so they loose all touch of reality.

It seems to me that this topic started with the response of a Democrat with racist beliefs.  And yet somehow, it turns into an attack on Republicans.

*shakes head and wanders off laughing*

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/18/06 at 11:09 am

God, I absolutely love how things in here get turned around, so they loose all touch of reality.

It seems to me that this topic started with the response of a Democrat with racist beliefs.  And yet somehow, it turns into an attack on Republicans.

It's not an attack. It's reality.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 12:08 pm

Well, it's about time he gets his fair share of being the punchline of every joke.

Wait a freaking minute.  That is a double standard and you know it.  So because minorities and women have been discriminated against that makes it somehow acceptable and PC to make fun of white males? ::)  Thats horrible logic.  Do you want equality or do you want reverse discrimination?

And I have to say I see Davey's point quite clearly.  The white male is always the butt of the joke. Just look at all of these sitcoms which always portray the father as a bumbling, incompetent idiot and the mother as all knowing and wise(*cough*Everybody Loves Raymond*cough*).  THAT is sexism, call it what you want.  It works both ways.

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 12:10 pm

;D

This is why there will never be equality.

All of you Liberals bitch and whine about "Oh, why can't things be fair!"

But you don't want that, you want minority rule. Guess what!
That's never gonna happen.

The white middle class male is the dominant force in our society and he will take back the country.

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 12:15 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 12:19 pm

Right.^

The way men are portrayed in a lot of these sitcoms is no better than back in the 50s when women were always portrayed as "the house wife".

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 12:20 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 12:31 pm

I don't think grooming yourself is an unmanly behavior.  But the media has promoted a lot of crap that turns men into wussbags.

Like romantic comedies.  They always end with the big scene where the guy spills his guts to the girl, tells her how wrong he was for something he did, and she just runs into his arms.  It doesn't actually work like that though.  In real life she'd think of you as a dork, a stalker type, or both.  Neediness=unmanly.

Watch some of the old Hollywood movies with Bogie.  He didn't put 'em on a pedestal- he treated them like adults.

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 12:32 pm

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 05/18/06 at 3:01 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 4:36 pm

And in real life he was an over-priviledged prep school wuss who drank to excess and beat his wife. What a guy  ::)

I'm not talking about Humphrey Bogart the person.  Rather, I'm talking about the characters he portrayed on film.

And you didn't address the other things I said.  Why is that? 

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 9:57 pm

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/06 at 11:44 pm

Oh, surely now, you can handle a little reverse-Karl Rove, cantcha?
;D

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 4:45 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 9:27 am

It has been my experience that most men do not base their idea of what it is to be a man on movies and
sitcoms.  They look to their fathers, uncles, family friends, and other people in their lives as models of how to conduct themselves.  Movies, television, and other types of media may influence fashion, or mood, for a short period of time, the summer of 14, 15, or 16, but in the long run I would say that anyone who conducts their lives based on a favorite "character" is unstable, can you say Mark David Chapman.  Anyone who looks to blame the media is using the media to deflect attention away from their own responsibility in their actions and the actions of those over whom they have influence.

Mark David Chapman is the fellow who shot John Lennon, right?  Chapman had an obsession with Lennon- a real person.  I am a FAN of most of Bogart's films, but I am not obsessive.  However I don't see how you can justify calling it unbalanced to have admiration for fictional characters.  Does the medium matter?  I'm not so sure you'd be singing the same tune if I had used a character from a book.

And of course I have real life role models.  Well, actually, only one.  And that is my uncle.  I love my father and my older brother, but I don't respect them or their attitudes enough to call them role models. 

You have to be pretty blind to things to not see how men are stereotypically portrayed over and over and over again these days.  Our society is filled with reverse sexism, IMO.  Just look at the bias in divorce.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 9:30 am

Also I feel you are just making a personal attack on me because you don't like what I pointed out about the media.

Written By: La Roche on 05/19/06 at 10:25 am

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 10:33 am

It has been my experience that most men do not base their idea of what it is to be a man on movies and
sitcoms.  They look to their fathers, uncles, family friends, and other people in their lives as models of how to conduct themselves.  Movies, television, and other types of media may influence fashion, or mood, for a short period of time, the summer of 14, 15, or 16, but in the long run I would say that anyone who conducts their lives based on a favorite "character" is unstable, can you say Mark David Chapman.  Anyone who looks to blame the media is using the media to deflect attention away from their own responsibility in their actions and the actions of those over whom they have influence.

Mark David Chapman murdered John Lennon. Even if he didn't call himself "the Holden Caulfield of the 1980s," he'd still be a sick bunny!

John Wayne and Clint Eastwood only reflect "manhood" stereotypes already in our culture. Hollywood didn't make this stuff up out of thin air, they only capitalized on American male insecurity. However, it does feed off itself these days. Karl Rove helped Dubya cultivate a Hollywood cowboy image for a spoiled preppie from old money. Before that, you had Ronald Reagan, who actually played cowboys in Hollywood b-movies.
::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 11:07 am

My personal opinion on what a man is?  To simplify, I'd call it "hard, but fair".

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 11:08 am

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 11:09 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 11:21 am

Where is the personal attack? 

I did not say that having admiration for a fictional, or real, character is unbalanced.  What I do say is that it is questionable to so immerse ones self in one character that one would base their life on what one percieves of the way that person conducts their life. And this is not saying you do, I don't know you so to say that I am personally attacking you is taking offense where none was directed.

You are saying that the portrayal of males in sitcoms and movies that you tend to watch have led to what you consider the emasculation of the American male.  You seem to be saying that it is the fault of Ray Romano, Jerry Seinfeld, Calvin Klein, Armani, and all those guys that American men have turned into "girly men".  They do not have that kind of power. I would suggest that the majority of males may know these names, some may have even seen the shows, and laughed(or not), then gone on to living the lives without using them all models of how to conduct themselves.  I work in an environment that is 99% male(construction), I see men(real,not fictional) everyday, and watch them on television, and listen to them on the radio, we are talking daily interaction with them on different levels, and don't have the utter despair at the state of manhood that is fraught in these posts. 

The media doesn't emasculate men in this country, there is personal responsibility involved for sure.  But that doesn't change the fact that the way men are often portrayed in the American media nowadays is less than favorable.  And while it may ultimately be the burden of the individual as to what kind of person they are, it is still a bad example they're setting.

Why not just fair?

Because a man isn't soft.  When he needs to do something, he does it.  He will stand up for what he feels is the right thing, and not back down from it just because someone doesn't agree.  That is what I mean by "hard".  I can give no better example of someone who is the way I am thinking of than perhaps my older cousin.

The guy planned on being a Veternarian for a long time, but couldn't ever make it into Vet school.  He loves animals.  Now, mind you, TWO days before this incident he had seen a bird frozen to death in a parkinglot and teared up over it.  When driving in his truck, he unfortunately hit a dog.  He got out to check on it, and it was obviously in pain and suffering, the dog was going to die.  It was going to be a very hard thing for him to do, seeing as how much of a soft spot he had for animals, but he realized he had to put it out of it's misery.  So he got a tire iron, and used it to break the dog's neck.  That is what I mean.  Sometimes situations arise in this world in which you have to do things you would rather not, but you must because its what has to be done.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 11:28 am

My original point wasn't that the media emasculates men, I was saying its BS to say its okay for white males to be portrayed negatively because other minorities have been in the past. "Two rights don't make a wrong" as they say. 

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 11:29 am

[quote author=

Written By: Tia on 05/19/06 at 11:31 am

I'm an Alabama denier. I don't believe Alabama exists. It's all a clever ruse cooked up by the Alabama industry.

Harpers this month has some amazing stuff on holocaust revisionism by jewish cartoonist art spiegelman. I guarantee their current cover is the most offensive on the shelves at the moment.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 11:36 am

I got you.  I knew a guy in a similar situation who had to shoot a dog that had just been run over.  There are things that have to be done, things that do get done.  I think my point is that if all your cousin watched was sitcoms, and if he had a subscription to GQ magazine, he would still be the man he is, and do what he had to do. 

Oh, I see.  Well, I'm who I am regardless of what films I watch, what music I listen to, how I dress... if you think I'm one of those losers who tries to get his manhood from adapting a "stock identity"(like a biker for example) thats not true about me at all.  All I meant with Bogart's CHARACTERS(the real man might have been an asshole.. but its interesting you say he beat his wife, because i'd heard a story about his first wife supposedly slapping him around in a bar in NYC one night) is that the way they were portrayed is such a contrast to the typical portrayal of males in our modern media.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 11:37 am

So your talking about the portrayal as opposed to the influence, not the portrayal as influence.  I think we allowed Thrashs post get in the middle of this.  I can see where the portrayals could irritate.  The reason there
was such a hue and cry from minorities was because the only portrayals in the media were negative, I would say right up until the 70's.  I can remember when "I Spy" came out with Bill Cosby, it was a ground breaking moment that was commented on by everyone.  Strange to say that now, but now at least we can
change the channel. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 11:45 am

So your talking about the portrayal as opposed to the influence, not the portrayal as influence.  I think we allowed Thrashs post get in the middle of this.  I can see where the portrayals could irritate.  The reason there
was such a hue and cry from minorities was because the only portrayals in the media were negative, I would say right up until the 70's.  I can remember when "I Spy" came out with Bill Cosby, it was a ground breaking moment that was commented on by everyone.  Strange to say that now, but now at least we can
change the channel. 

Thats true, we can just change the channel now.  There are still some positive portrayals too.

As a male who knows how to cook for himself(and actually PREFERS to), I especially find the stereotype of men not cooking or wanting to irritating.  An example of this would be this commercial I saw awhile back where a wife tells her husband and son she won't be in until late and they'll have to cook for themselves, and they freak out.  "Duh I'm just a guy I can't do anything for myself- why I couldn't even tie my own shoes without my wife"

It gets tiring.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 11:48 am

It doesn't bother me because I see these behaviors in myself.  I'm not projecting.  Its the opposite.  It bothers me because I'm NOT like this, yet it seems those of us who aren't don't get any recognition in the media most of the time.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 12:10 pm

[quote author=

Check for new replies or respond here...