» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Polygamy, what do you think about it?

Written By: Mushroom on 05/18/06 at 3:07 pm

With Warren Jeffs making the FBI "Ten Most Wanted" list and the success of the HBO drama "Big Love", polygamy is making the news more and more at the moment.

I am curious to see what others in here think of the practice.  While in the US it is illegal, it does have it's roots in most religions, and it is practiced currently in many areas of the world.

Subject: Re: Polygamy, what do you think about it?

Written By: CeeKay on 05/18/06 at 3:59 pm

I said "other."  I was going to say "I don't care," but the only stories I've ever heard about it (at least in the US) have been negative.  And it always seems to be a man with multiple wives.  Hmm...my point is that I just, in my gut, don't like the idea.  That being said, it's not really my business if others choose this.

As for myself, I would not want to be married to more than one person, or for my spouse to have more than one wife.  One-on-one marriage is hard enough. 

Written By: Mushroom on 05/18/06 at 4:14 pm

I said "other."  I was going to say "I don't care," but the only stories I've ever heard about it (at least in the US) have been negative.  And it always seems to be a man with multiple wives.  Hmm...my point is that I just, in my gut, don't like the idea.  That being said, it's not really my business if others choose this.

Hey, who says it has to be the man with multiple wives?

Check out the movie "Paint Your Wagon".  It has Jean Seberg as a women with 2 husbands, played by Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/18/06 at 4:15 pm

I really don't know.  I love the show Big Love, but I don't know how accurate a portrayal of a polygamist lifestyle it is.  Is this the norm or do most polygamists act like Roman Grant, with the underage wife-to-be and all that jazz.  I guess if all the wives involved in the relationship are adults and come to it freely, I can't see what the problem is.  If they're underage or forced in anyway, that's where I draw the line. 

Written By: Bobby on 05/18/06 at 4:17 pm

I went for 'it is wrong but their choice' - though the legal system will be on their back like a big fat monkey. If the women are stupid enough to want to be part of a harem then, yet again, it is their choice.

As for me on a personal level, I can only cope with one woman.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/06 at 4:27 pm

On a personal level, one man is enough for me. However, if they are consenting adults, who am I to say if it is wrong or not? I do have a problem with the fact that it is always the guy with more than one wife (except in the movie Paint Your Wagon  ;) ).  I think if a woman can handle more than one guy-IF she WANTS to, why not? In the case of Jeffs' society, 13 is NOT a consenting adult and I have a major problem with that-the fact that he is marrying off 13 year old girls. That is just WRONG!!!

Cat

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 4:39 pm

I'm against it, but I think it should be legal.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 4:41 pm

I chose 'Do not care'.  Its really their business as far as I'm concerned(unless it involved minors).

For myself, I'll have enough trouble finding one good woman who will put up with me- why break my back going for two?

Written By: Dagwood on 05/18/06 at 7:04 pm

I think it's wrong and should be stopped.  Living in Utah, this is in the news nightly...especially Jeffs and his followers.  There are always stories of child brides forced to marry much older men.  It creeps me right the heck out. 

Written By: CeeKay on 05/18/06 at 7:15 pm

I think it's wrong and should be stopped.  Living in Utah, this is in the news nightly...especially Jeffs and his followers.  There are always stories of child brides forced to marry much older men.  It creeps me right the heck out. 

The whole child bride thing is completely unacceptable.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/18/06 at 7:40 pm

Yes it is.  There is one family that had one of the girls that was "married" to her uncle. (ewww)  She ran away and her father chased her down and beat the crap out of her then left her for dead.  It is wrong on so many levels.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/18/06 at 9:49 pm

The child bride thing is wrong for sure.^

But if its between consenting adults I feel it is their business.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/06 at 11:35 pm

I'm not against polygamy per se. I wouldn't want any part of it, mind you, but I don't think it's my business to judge how other people want to run their lives. "Consenting adults" is the key phrase. The only polygamous families we hear about are the troublemakers, like this Jeffs a-hole. Perhaps if polygamy were legalized we could regulate it better. There's the old liberal saw, I know. It's illegal to marry your 13-year-old cousin monogamously, but it's illegal to marry anybody polygamously, so while you're out there breaking the law, you might as well make one of your wives your 13-year-old cousin!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/ladysman.gif

Aren't we supposed to have freedom of religion in this country?

But then there are the complications with taxes and insurance.

This is why it is harder to be a liberal than to be a conservative. If you're a conservative you can just declare: "Document X says it's wrong, so it's wrong, and that's the end of it!" If you're a liberal, you have to say, "Well, there's this...on the other hand, there's that...and am I realy the one to say XYZ about this or that?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nixweiss.gif

Written By: CeeKay on 05/19/06 at 12:35 am

This is why it is harder to be a liberal than to be a conservative. If you're a conservative you can just declare: "Document X says it's wrong, so it's wrong, and that's the end of it!" If you're a liberal, you have to say, "Well, there's this...on the other hand, there's that...and am I realy the one to say XYZ about this or that?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nixweiss.gif

Good point Max.  Sometimes, the latter just gets you nowhere.  Sometimes, the former gets you to places you'd rather not be.  :-\\

Written By: Mushroom on 05/19/06 at 9:18 am

It's illegal to marry your 13-year-old cousin monogamously, but it's illegal to marry anybody polygamously, so while you're out there breaking the law, you might as well make one of your wives your 13-year-old cousin!

Actually, that is not true Max.  And believe me, cause I live in Alabama.

There is a saying down here, "Welcome to Alabama, where you can marry your cousin at 14.  If she is 13, you have to go to Louisiana."

And that is true!  Shortly after I moved here (about 3 years ago), that is exactly what happened, 2 13 year old cousins went to Louisiana with their parents and got married.  The state of Alabama tried to think of something they could do about this, but since they were legally married, there was nothing they could do.  The last I heard, the girl was pregnant (this was last year, she was 15).

Myself, I have no problem with polygamy, as long as it follows all other laws and is mutually consenting.

The problem with the "compound" system that groups like the splinter LDS churches have is that they are closed systems, with one patriarchial figure (normally known as "the Prophet") acts as supreme dictator.  In systems like that, the fraud and abuse seems to be a problem, as young girls are used as pawns to assure the elders remain in power.  Any dissent is taken care of by banishment.

I have known several people over they years that were involved in polygamous lifestyles.  I have known others who had "open marriages", which some may argue is a form of polygamy.

But as somebody said earlier, one wife would be enough for me.  In fact, one is probably to much for me, which is why I have been single for so long.  :P

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 9:35 am

But as somebody said earlier, one wife would be enough for me.  In fact, one is probably to much for me, which is why I have been single for so long.  :P

That would be me. ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/19/06 at 10:07 am

I don't see a problem with it.  Like others have said, as long as they are consenting adults and go into the situation willingly, who am I to say it is wrong?  I'd add another couple of caveats:  all spouses involved must be aware of the others and they must be able to support themselves.  Like Max said, you only hear of the troublemakers (like almost everything else) and I'd hate to see someone with 7 spouses and umpteen kids taking advantage of the welfare system.....as I feel with anyone else:  if you can't support umpteen kids, don't have them.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/19/06 at 10:12 am

I don't see a problem with it.  Like others have said, as long as they are consenting adults and go into the situation willingly, who am I to say it is wrong?  I'd add another couple of caveats:  all spouses involved must be aware of the others and they must be able to support themselves.  Like Max said, you only hear of the troublemakers (like almost everything else) and I'd hate to see someone with 7 spouses and umpteen kids taking advantage of the welfare system.....as I feel with anyone else:  if you can't support umpteen kids, don't have them.

Watch out, I get ripped apart for saying that here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 10:13 am

Actually, that is not true Max.  And believe me, cause I live in Alabama.

There is a saying down here, "Welcome to Alabama, where you can marry your cousin at 14.  If she is 13, you have to go to Louisiana."

And that is true!  Shortly after I moved here (about 3 years ago), that is exactly what happened, 2 13 year old cousins went to Louisiana with their parents and got married.  The state of Alabama tried to think of something they could do about this, but since they were legally married, there was nothing they could do.  The last I heard, the girl was pregnant (this was last year, she was 15).

Myself, I have no problem with polygamy, as long as it follows all other laws and is mutually consenting.

The problem with the "compound" system that groups like the splinter LDS churches have is that they are closed systems, with one patriarchial figure (normally known as "the Prophet") acts as supreme dictator.  In systems like that, the fraud and abuse seems to be a problem, as young girls are used as pawns to assure the elders remain in power.  Any dissent is taken care of by banishment.

I have known several people over they years that were involved in polygamous lifestyles.  I have known others who had "open marriages", which some may argue is a form of polygamy.

Good points, Mushroom. Those pubescent marriages made some nation-wide news recently, and at least one state was making a show of passing legislation against them. I think it was Georgia. When the media got wind of it, they started yelling, "That's outrageous!," and the state replied, "Yeah, but it looks like it's legal, so..." I don't think states want to get caught in that kind of embarrassment, so the laws will change. It wasn't always Southern states, either. I think the law has since changed, I'd have to research it, but at least into the '80s in New Hampshire the minimum age was 14, so long as the parents of both parties OK'd it.

I alluded to the LDS splinter groups when I mentioned "consenting adults." When you have a "cult" situation with a "prophet' in charge, a lot of people get railroaded into pre-arranged polygamy. That sh!t just doesn't fly in our culture. The Mormon church prohibited polygamy as a condition for Utah statheood and that was 1845, I think. So it's been a looooong time since polygamy has been kosher.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/19/06 at 10:18 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/19/06 at 10:22 am

Good points, Mushroom. Those pubescent marriages made some nation-wide news recently, and at least one state was making a show of passing legislation against them. I think it was Georgia. When the media got wind of it, they started yelling, "That's outrageous!," and the state replied, "Yeah, but it looks like it's legal, so..." I don't think states want to get caught in that kind of embarrassment, so the laws will change. It wasn't always Southern states, either. I think the law has since changed, I'd have to research it, but at least into the '80s in New Hampshire the minimum age was 14, so long as the parents of both parties OK'd it.

I alluded to the LDS splinter groups when I mentioned "consenting adults." When you have a "cult" situation with a "prophet' in charge, a lot of people get railroaded into pre-arranged polygamy. That sh!t just doesn't fly in our culture. The Mormon church prohibited polygamy as a condition for Utah statheood and that was 1845, I think. So it's been a looooong time since polygamy has been kosher.

Utah didn't become a state until 1896.  Anti-polygamy activists used it to delay the state's entry to the union until then.  The LDS church banned the practice of polygamy in 1890.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/19/06 at 10:37 am

Utah didn't become a state until 1896.  Anti-polygamy activists used it to delay the state's entry to the union until then.  The LDS church banned the practice of polygamy in 1890.
Well, at least they said they did.  There are supposedly church records that show "spiritual marriages" (ones for which there are no legal documents) into the 1920s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 10:42 am

Ah, you're right, I stand corrected.

Well, at least they said they did.  There are supposedly church records that show "spiritual marriages" (ones for which there are no legal documents) into the 1920s.

For organized religion, that's par for the course. What they say the do, and what they really do don't jibe a lot of the time!
::)

Written By: STAR70 on 05/19/06 at 3:57 pm

With Warren Jeffs making the FBI "Ten Most Wanted" list ...

that's because he had a habbit of inducting under aged girls into his harrem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter_Day_Saints

Written By: Apricot on 05/19/06 at 4:55 pm

I can't say I see major issue with it, but I personally would want to dedicate myself fully to one person.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/19/06 at 7:00 pm

Those tended to be "holdovers", marriages that were made before the new revelations changed the church policy.

And if you think about it, what else would they do?  Suddenly make hundreds of women into "unwed mothers", and force the families to dissolve?  Not very likely.

And most of the break-away splinter sects of LDS broke away because of the polygamy issue.  There are dozens of sects, some of which have rather violent histories.  There was one I remember in the 1980's in which the leader had the husbands of some of his followers killed, so he could take their widows as secondary wives.

Mainstream LDS considers these groups to be foul, and refuse to associate with them.  They tend to live in seperate communes, normally in an unincorporated area.  A few times though, they have tried to take over smaller communities (similar to what happened to Antelope, Oregon).

One of the interesting things about the series Big Love is how they portray the two groups of polygamists.  The main focus is around a single extended family, with 3 wives living in a residential community in houses next door to each other.  The "First Wife" is the de facto wife, while the other wives are introduced to people as family friends or distant relatives.

The other group is the "Compound", which is controlled by "The Prophet".  This is a self-contained community, with the Prophet acting as a feudal lord.  Wives are assigned by him as favors, younger wives given to those who please him the most.  People out of favor may have wives removed from the family, or even find themselves banished.

It is interesting that this show started several months before the addition of Warren Jeffs to the list.  And in reading about Jeffs, it is amazing how much his activities parallel those of Roman Grant on the show.  Makes you wonder how much influence the show had on placing this scumbag on the list.  And if this scumbag was part of the inspiration for the Roman Grant character.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 8:05 pm

I like Warren Jeffs 'coz he's an evil guy...who looks like Rick Moranis!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/duckie.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/06 at 11:26 pm

Polygamy is one wife too many.

So's monogamy.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/20/06 at 11:00 am

Those tended to be "holdovers", marriages that were made before the new revelations changed the church policy.

And if you think about it, what else would they do?  Suddenly make hundreds of women into "unwed mothers", and force the families to dissolve?  Not very likely.

I'm not sure what you mean....if you mean that the "marriages" took place before the church "officially" denounced polygamy, they didn't.  These are "marriages" performed/recorded as late as the 1920s.  In many of these, the husband is the same, but the wife is different.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/20/06 at 1:33 pm

I'm not sure what you mean....if you mean that the "marriages" took place before the church "officially" denounced polygamy, they didn't.  These are "marriages" performed/recorded as late as the 1920s.  In many of these, the husband is the same, but the wife is different.

You have to look at if the "Wife" was the senior after the "First Wife" died.  That is something that occurs both in the series, and in real life in those off-shoot cults.  If the legal wife dies, the next senior wife then assumes legal status, marrying the husband.

Written By: STAR70 on 05/20/06 at 5:22 pm

Polygamy is one wife too many.

So's monogamy.

KARMA 2 U !!!!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/21/06 at 1:37 pm

You have to look at if the "Wife" was the senior after the "First Wife" died.  That is something that occurs both in the series, and in real life in those off-shoot cults.  If the legal wife dies, the next senior wife then assumes legal status, marrying the husband.
Nope.  For these "marriages", there is NO legal documentation, only within the church.....even the church admits that they didn't start excommunicating polygamists until then......there are still members of "mainstream" Mormon churches that are in polygamous marriages and, as long as they do it in private and don't tell anyone outside the church, the church basically "turns their back".

Written By: Marian on 05/21/06 at 3:53 pm

I really don't know.  I love the show Big Love, but I don't know how accurate a portrayal of a polygamist lifestyle it is.  Is this the norm or do most polygamists act like Roman Grant, with the underage wife-to-be and all that jazz.  I guess if all the wives involved in the relationship are adults and come to it freely, I can't see what the problem is.  If they're underage or forced in anyway, that's where I draw the line. 
From what I've seen in the news,most of the girls are underage and can't leave the compound.On the other hand,boys are often excommunicated for minor offences,to leave  more women for the older men.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/06 at 12:23 am

From what I've seen in the news,most of the girls are underage and can't leave the compound.On the other hand,boys are often excommunicated for minor offences,to leave  more women for the older men.

See, this is where the Oneida Community had it all over LDS. In Oneida, the old guys had dibs on the young girls AND the old ladies had dibs on the young guys. All the elders were satisfied, nobody had to be banished.
http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/Oneida.html

Written By: philbo on 05/22/06 at 8:16 am

There was a young fellow from Lyme
Who married three wives at a time
When asked "Why the third?"
He replied "One's absurd!
And bigamy, sir, is a crime"

... but seriously, between consenting adults, I don't see why if they can get along that they shouldn't.  Here's a thought on why it probably won't work: On Sharing - Or, why polygamy isn't a great idea

Written By: Bobby on 05/23/06 at 4:28 pm

Is there a difference between bigamy and polygamy? Both dictionary definitions say the same thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/06 at 5:08 pm

Is there a difference between bigamy and polygamy? Both dictionary definitions say the same thing.

I think "bigamy" is a legal term referring to somebody who is illegally married to more than one spouse, whereas "polygamy" doesn't have any legal connotations per se. It's not inherent in the linguistics, it's just the way usage developed.

Funny thing about the word "bigamy" is it sound kinda like another word--
A guy from North Carolina called the Phil Donahue show when they were talking about Evangelical movement, and he says,
"Yeah, I've known a lot Christian fundamentalists, and they was bigamists, they was ALL bigamists!"
Whaaaat?
Then Donahue says, "I think you mean BIGOTS, sir!"
;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 9:20 am

I think "bigamy" is a legal term referring to somebody who is illegally married to more than one spouse, whereas "polygamy" doesn't have any legal connotations per se. It's not inherent in the linguistics, it's just the way usage developed.

Oh . . . er . . . that's cleared it up for me.  ;D

I'm understanding you mean that polygamy just describes the situation as bigamy is a legal term though meaning the same thing in themselves?

Funny thing about the word "bigamy" is it sound kinda like another word--
A guy from North Carolina called the Phil Donahue show when they were talking about Evangelical movement, and he says,
"Yeah, I've known a lot Christian fundamentalists, and they was bigamists, they was ALL bigamists!"
Whaaaat?
Then Donahue says, "I think you mean BIGOTS, sir!"
;D

Ha ha! The guy from North Carolina probably meant bigamists as well.

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 9:39 am

Oh . . . er . . . that's cleared it up for me.  ;D

I'm understanding you mean that polygamy just describes the situation as bigamy is a legal term though meaning the same thing in themselves?

That seems to be right, Bobby.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/24/06 at 2:54 pm

It is more a difference in useage then in definition.

"Bigamy" normally refers to somebody who is married to two or more people, and the other spouses are not aware of each other.

Polygamy normally refers to a situation where each of the spouses is aware of the other, and is supportive of this relationship.

Written By: philbo on 05/24/06 at 5:06 pm

The root of the words "bigamy" and "polygamy" are simply marrying twice and marrying multiple times.  In this country, bigamy is a crime - polygamy would be a crime of "multiple bigamy", if you see what I mean, but doesn't have a separate criminal offence of its own.

Or (to use another pun): why men marry is a mystery; why they marry twice is a bigamystery

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/06 at 6:55 pm

The root of the words "bigamy" and "polygamy" are simply marrying twice and marrying multiple times.  In this country, bigamy is a crime - polygamy would be a crime of "multiple bigamy", if you see what I mean, but doesn't have a separate criminal offence of its own.

Or (to use another pun): why men marry is a mystery; why they marry twice is a bigamystery

Hmmm...they go right fom monogamy and bigamy to polygamy. You never hear about "trigamy," or "quadrigamy," or "quintigamy," or "sextigamy".....actually, that last one sounds kinda fun.
Reminds me of the first Utah polygamy bust I heard about back in the '80s. It involved a polygamous clan involving two brothers, Addam Swapp and Jonathan Swapp.
Uh-huh-huh-huh, Swapp, is that their name, or is that what the do?
http://www.polygamyinfo.com/past_media%20plyg%2097%20trib.htm
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif

Written By: Bobby on 05/25/06 at 12:19 pm

That seems to be right, Bobby.

I see (said the blind man) . . .  :)

Written By: Bobby on 05/25/06 at 12:19 pm

Ha ha! Great pun it is too!

k.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/06 at 8:07 pm

Ha ha! Great pun it is too!

Pro: The plural of "mouse" is "mice".  The plural of "spouse" is "spice".

Con: A man is incomplete until he's married.  Then he's finished.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/06 at 8:26 pm

Pro: The plural of "mouse" is "mice".  The plural of "spouse" is "spice".

Nyuk nyuk, nyuk, glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks up goofy stuff like that!
:D

How about
Goose, Geese
Moose, Meese

http://www.fulldisclosure.net/images/Guests/423_Meese_150.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/06 at 8:51 pm

Goose, Geese
Moose, Meese

Heh.  This is the politics board.  And any discussion about polygamy is close enough to a discussion about sex for this to work:

The one-X'd Exon, he's an ass.
The two-X'd Exxon, that's a gas.
But there's one thing you can best your necks on,
You'll never see a three-X'd Exon.

(from innumerable Communications Decency Acts flamewars, the CDA having been sponsored by Sen. Exon.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/06 at 9:19 pm

Heh.  This is the politics board.  And any discussion about polygamy is close enough to a discussion about sex for this to work:

(from innumerable Communications Decency Acts flamewars, the CDA having been sponsored by Sen. Exon.)

Oh yeah, Jim Exon, that creep from Nebraska. Forgot about him.  He was a Dem, too! I think he croaked a couple of years ago.

Written By: philbo on 05/29/06 at 2:42 pm

I always knew this one:
The one l lama is a priest
The two l llama is a beast
But I will bet a pink pyjama
You've never seen a three l lllama

:D

Written By: stealth-o-matic on 06/03/06 at 1:21 pm

I'm working three be-yotches right now, and if I could marry them all I'd be cool with that.

However, if a woman wants more than one husband at the same time then she's a slut.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/06 at 1:32 pm

I'm working three be-yotches right now, and if I could marry them all I'd be cool with that.

However, if a woman wants more than one husband at the same time then she's a slut.

Well! I guess they didn't tell you about the bees when they told you abut the birds and the bees!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/laughing.gif

Written By: stealth-o-matic on 06/03/06 at 5:57 pm

Well! I guess they didn't tell you about the bees when they told you abut the birds and the bees!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/laughing.gif
Maybe that's why I'm so screwed up. My dad told me about Eric The Half-A-Bee.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/06 at 7:15 am

My only legal objection to polygamy is economic.

I mean, if you are some horny guy and can attract 13 wives and have 38 kids, more power to you.

But if you want to put your freak show on government-funded welfare, I have a serious problem with that.

Want to have more than one wife?  Then you gotta pay a tax that goes 100% into a polygamists welfare fund.  100% of the tax "premiums" used to pay out welfare benefits for ploygamist families that do not work out.  If the fund runs out of money so do the claimants.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/06 at 7:27 am

Polygamy. Think of the extended family how many birthday and Christmas presents you will have to buy?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/06 at 4:17 pm

Want to have more than one wife?  Then you gotta pay a tax that goes 100% into a polygamists welfare fund.  100% of the tax "premiums" used to pay out welfare benefits for ploygamist families that do not work out.  If the fund runs out of money so do the claimants.

Hmm.  So if I marry a 45-year-old cougar when I'm 20 and in college, and inherit her estate tax-free when I'm in my 40s and she's in her 70s, and gets her heart attack... and I then proceed (using my inheritance) to hook up at age 50 with a fine  double-breasted barfinch who's 20... until I get my heart attack when I'm 70 and she's 40... thereby passing my estate off to her, completely tax-free, and she, being in her 40s and "independently" wealthy, then starts trolling the college bars...

(My real answer is "I don't care".  My answer to the economic problems of marriage will be to remove all "married" tax perks (and tax liabilities) from the books, shortly upon my appointment as emperor.  The state that I run shall have no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/06 at 11:03 am

Maybe that's why I'm so screwed up. My dad told me about Eric The Half-A-Bee.

Oh, that's from "The Fish License" sketch, one of Monty Python's best ever!
Intro:

The "Eric The Half-A-Bee" song
Take it away Eric the Orchestra Leader
Orchestra Leader:
A-one, two, a-one two three four
(Piano - introductory flourish)

Lead Singer:
(speaks to piano accompainment)
Half a bee, philosophically,
must eo ipso facto half not be
But half a bee has got to be,
vis a vis its entity
- D'you see?

But can a bee be said to be
Or not to be an entire bee,
When half the bee is not a bee
Due to some ancient injury
- Singing! ...

All Sing:
La, di di, one two three
Eric the Half a Bee
A B C D E F G
Eric the Half a Bee

Lead Singer:
Is This wretched demi-bee,
Half asleep upon my knee,
Some freak from a menagerie?

All Shout:
No! It's Eric the Half a Bee.
All Sing:
Fiddle di dum, Fiddle di dee, Eric the Half a Bee
Ho ho ho, tee hee hee,
Eric the Half a Bee

Lead Singer:
I love this hive epmploy-ee-ee Bisected accidentially,
One Summer afternoon by me,
I love him carnally.

All Sing:
He loves him carnally...
Lead Singer:
Semi-carnally.
(Speaks)
The End.

Voice:
Cyril Connolly?
Lead Singer:
No, semi-carnally.
Voice:
Oh.
All sing:
(quietly) Cyril Connolly *

(Ends with elaborate whistle)

*Cyril Connolly (1903-1974) was a British literary editor, critic, and commentator, as well as being a life-long friend of George Orwell. Since he was virtually unknown stateside, how all his work ended up housed at the University of Tulsa is a mystery to me! Anyway...

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/fish.htm
^Python aficionados will note this is an imprecise transcript, just a couple of minor errors.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

Written By: jackas on 06/12/06 at 7:05 am

I guess if all the wives involved in the relationship are adults and come to it freely, I can't see what the problem is.  If they're underage or forced in anyway, that's where I draw the line. 

I agree with this statement. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 10:46 am

Is there a reverse of this?  Any cases of women with more than one husband?  Is there a term for it? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/06 at 1:54 pm

[quote author=

Written By: jackas on 06/12/06 at 2:01 pm

[quote author=

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/12/06 at 2:10 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/12/06 at 4:35 pm

I have enough trouble keeping up with the demands of just one wife. Testosterone-fueled fantasies aside, I really don't think I could handle having another.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/06 at 6:11 pm

"Polygamy" is the generic term used for "more than one spouse".  "Polyandry" is the specific term for a woman with more than 1 husband and "polygyny" is the specific term for a man with more than 1 wife.

Ohhh, now those terms ring a bell. I guess I'm still ambivalent about "monogyny," never mind "polygyny."

As the legend goes:
1. A Boston Brahmin had a dream epiphany in which the meaning of human relationships was revealed to him, so he wrote the following lines in the middle of the night. In the morning he found:
Hoggamous, higgamous: men are polygamous.
Higgamous, hoggamous: women, monogamous.

2. A college professor tripping on LSD had the ultimate meaning of life revealed to him, he scribbled it down. When he was sober, he found:
Higgamous, hoggamous: women, monogamous

3. Attributed to Ogden Nash, maybe Edward Lear, maybe James Joyce:
Higgamous, hoggamous: women, monogamous.

I have heard tell of all three, I doubt any of them are true...it's just a silly little rhyme I think of whenever the subject comes up!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/12/06 at 9:31 pm

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/06 at 11:25 pm

Polyandry: poly (many) andros (male).

And while we're on the subject:

Misogyny:  Dislike/hatred of women, specifically.
Misandry:  Dislike/hatred of men, specifically.
Misanthropy:  Dislike/hatred of (anthro) - humans, generically.

The best investment you can make in your English skills is to take one semester of Latin and one semester of Greek.  If it's not taught at your school, and/or you can't make time in your schedule at university/college, there's now enough material for free on the 'net to make up for it.

I took Latin in college. I remember pecious little. The second two semesters I took the accelerated "summer session." Just trying to make the language requirement. In one ear, out the other. Don't ask me what the third declension is!

Misandry?
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/04/15/andrea_dworkin_narrowweb__200x266.jpg
Miss Andrea Dworkin
R.I.P.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...