» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: "Song of the South" won't be released on DVD anytime soon... any thoughts?

Written By: woops on 05/31/06 at 3:51 am

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2006_04_18.html#011354

A few years ago, Disney released "Disney Treasures: On The Front Lines", which featured previously banned WWII cartoons like the Oscar winning "Der Fuhrer's Face", with an introduction  from histiorian Leonard Maltin.  Which sparked some rumors about "Song of the South" being released. Unfortunately, the new Disney CEO stated that it'll not be released.

Not a fan of the movie, nor ever saw it, but it shouldn't be locked away since it's still a part of history and should be looked in it's historical context.

Good thing the WWII cartoons were released since the cartoons featuring Donald Duck are among the best I've seen.

Subject: Re: "Song of the South" won't be released on DVD anytime soon... any thoughts?

Written By: woops on 05/31/06 at 4:02 am

Similar Note: Five years ago Cartoon Network planned to air 12 "Un PC" Bugs Bunny cartoons on their now defunct June Bugs marathon during late night (BTW, this was pre 'Adult Swim'), but was nixed.

Out of the banned I've seen (including "All This & Rabbit Stew", banned since the '60's, though is public domain), I find "12 oz Mouse"  more offensive for it's horrible animation. (BTW, I tend to look past the stereotypes and most are no different than a typical Bugs cartoon where he's against Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam.)

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,8217,00.html

http://www.childrens-express.org/dynamic/public/is_that_all_110601.htm

Subject: Re: "Song of the South" won't be released on DVD anytime soon... any thoughts?

Written By: Mushroom on 05/31/06 at 2:43 pm

A few years ago, Disney released "Disney Treasures: On The Front Lines", which featured previously banned WWII cartoons like the Oscar winning "Der Fuhrer's Face", with an introduction  from histiorian Leonard Maltin.  Which sparked some rumors about "Song of the South" being released. Unfortunately, the new Disney CEO stated that it'll not be released.

Not a fan of the movie, nor ever saw it, but it shouldn't be locked away since it's still a part of history and should be looked in it's historical context.

Good thing the WWII cartoons were released since the cartoons featuring Donald Duck are among the best I've seen.

I think it is wrong to not release it, and have been protesting this for years.

Song Of The South was a landmark film, and did a lot to change the views of people, both in the nation and in Hollywood.

This is the first major movie in which the staring character was a black male.  And it was so well received that James Baskett won an Academy Award.  And one of the co-stars is Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win an Academy Award (for Gone With The Wind).

And contrary to popular belief, the movie was not set with the characters as slaves.  It was clearly stated that it was set in 1880's Georgia, well after the end of the Civil War.  And if anything, the scenes of both Hattie McDaniel and James Baskett talking back to the Grandmother who owns the plantation should dispell any thoughts that they were "subservient negroes".

Of course, I have heard people say thet it should not be released because of how Uncle Remus and other blacks talk in the movie.  Never mind that it was in a dialect that is still spoken in Georgia to this day.

It is Political Corectness run away, and is actually destroying a valuable part of black culture as it does so.  All of the folk-tales that were saved as "Uncle Remus Stories" were actually told by the slaves during captivity.  Many of them are from even older folk-stories told from their ancestors back in Africa.  Although they were all changed once they made it here.

One thing frequently missed is that the stories were all stories about slavery and their conditions.  Brer (Brother) Rabbit is the hero, and symbolizes the slaves in captivity.  Brer Fox represents the slave owners.  He is not as smart as he thinks he is, and is constantly caught in his own schemes.  Brer Bear is the overseer.  Slow and stupid, he symbolizes the "poor white trash" who lords over them and deals out punishment.  He is constantly taken advantage of by Brer Fox, and easily fooled by the smarter Brer Rabbit.

To me, this movie deserves to be seen.  Simply include a documentary with it, showing the history of both the stories themselves, and what they represent.  I am glad that I have a bootleg copy of it in my collection.  I watch it once a year or so, and absolutely love it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/06 at 9:45 pm

I think it is wrong to not release it, and have been protesting this for years.

A most noble cause, if I may say so sir!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jestor.gif

Oh, and the 1880s was just a dandy old time for African Americans!

Now see here, you can go on all you like about the folkloric heritage of "Song of the South," but I'm afraid the Uncle Remus character was a projection of how whites whished African American men would behave--jovial, child-like, content, asexual, and non-demanding.

I don't mean to imply anyone is racist simply for enjoying the stories Joel Chandler Harris collected, and from whence came the "Song of the South" film, they are jolly fun. However, to pretend Uncle Remus conferred no racism is to engage in cultural denial.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/06 at 9:56 pm

Oh, and let 'em release "Song of the South" on DVD. I'm a big First Amendment guy. You don't like it, don't buy it.

Written By: woops on 05/31/06 at 10:22 pm

There's a DVD titled "Adventures of Brer Rabbit", which I know is a character of "Song of the South".

I might rent it, though the movie probably would be a PC version of  "Song of the South".

The stereotypes are nolonger acceptable today, but there's still stereotypes in movies, tv, etc. today like "The Sopranos" (Italian stereotypes) and the "Miss Swan" character (Asian stereotype played by a white woman) from Mad TV.

I agree that it should be released for fans and collecters.

Since I've never seen the movie, can't really say much other than that  I'm tired of   censorship.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/06 at 10:28 pm

There's a DVD titled "Adventures of Brer Rabbit", which I know is a character of "Song of the South".

I might rent it, though the movie probably would be a PC version of  "Song of the South".

The stereotypes are nolonger acceptable today, but there's still stereotypes in movies, tv, etc. today like "The Sopranos" (Italian stereotypes) and the "Miss Swan" character (Asian stereotype played by a white woman) from Mad TV.

I agree that it should be released for fans and collecters.

Since I've never seen the movie, can't really say much other than that  I'm tired of   censorship.

Good point. Popular media today is built on stereotypes far more negative than Uncle Remus. Let me correct that, Uncle Remus is an outdated stereotype. FiddyCent is a much more destructive stereotype of African-American men today. The difference is a lot of my liberal pals would call ME racist for criticizing gangsta rap!
::)

Written By: STAR70 on 06/01/06 at 5:38 pm

One thing frequently missed is that the stories were all stories about slavery and their conditions.  Brer (Brother) Rabbit is the hero, and symbolizes the slaves in captivity.  Brer Fox represents the slave owners.  He is not as smart as he thinks he is, and is constantly caught in his own schemes.  Brer Bear is the overseer.  Slow and stupid, he symbolizes the "poor white trash" who lords over them and deals out punishment.  He is constantly taken advantage of by Brer Fox, and easily fooled by the smarter Brer Rabbit.

... and what does the "tar baby" represent?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/01/06 at 8:02 pm

... and what does the "tar baby" represent?

An African-American baby. That's another disgusting epithet.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/06 at 9:59 pm

You don't really think...nah, couldn't be!
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/01/06 at 11:54 pm

Actually, it doesn't.  It's a reference to an African (not African-American) folk tale that came over during the slave era.  "Song of the South" saved many of these stories by putting them into white/mainstream American culture -- without that movie, the only people who would know many of these tales would be cultural anthropologists in obscure university departments.  Watch the movie -- even if you have to download it illegally to do so.  It's a good movie, the animation is fantastic for its age, and the messages are wonderful.

But on to the tale.

The "tar baby" is - literally - a glob of tar made up to look like a baby.  When you pick it up, it sticks to you.  The harder you try to shake it off, the more bits of tar get stuck to you in other places.  The more fingers/arms/feet/sticks/brushes you use to try to remove it, the more entrapped you become. 

(Likewise, Bre'r Rabbit saying "don't throw me into that briar patch" to Bre'r Bear -- when a rabbit can slink away easily under the briars, and a bear will only get a bunch of burrs stuck to his fur...)

I'll leave it up to you to determine which of the characters in "Song of the South" represent the dimwitted but powerful, and which of the characters in the movie are plain-spoken folks who just want to be left alone, and who survive by their wits.

If you're a Democrat, Iraq is very much Bush's tar baby.  If you're a Republican, Bill Clinton's sexual and legal hijinks were his tar baby.  And both of 'em got caught up in 'em because their opponents (in the form of various middle-east whackjobs, and in the form of Ken Starr, begged not to be thrown into the briar patch of political/military chaos and/or public impeachment proceedings.)

On a serious cross-cultural note:  The story of the man with the albatross around his neck is a pretty close Western equivalent to the Tar Baby story. 

On a funny note:  You'll never look at Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd the same way again.  You'll laugh harder.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/06 at 8:14 am

^ As I said before, there is genuine folkloric value in the "Br'er Rabbit" tales, and thus in the "Song of the South." There is also racism. It is hard for any of us today to fathom the institutionalized racism in either the post-Reconstruction era, when Joel Chandler Harris was compiling the tales, or in the pre-Civil Rights era when "Song of the South" was made.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/02/06 at 9:25 am

Oh, and the 1880s was just a dandy old time for African Americans!

Now see here, you can go on all you like about the folkloric heritage of "Song of the South," but I'm afraid the Uncle Remus character was a projection of how whites whished African American men would behave--jovial, child-like, content, asexual, and non-demanding.

I don't mean to imply anyone is racist simply for enjoying the stories Joel Chandler Harris collected, and from whence came the "Song of the South" film, they are jolly fun. However, to pretend Uncle Remus conferred no racism is to engage in cultural denial.

Oh yes, the modern Hollywood stereotypes of blacks is much more flattering then those old ones.

Instead of being religious and polite, they are now gun carrying thugs who smoke dope and use "biatch" "niga", and all other sorts of languate that is inappropriate.

I am so glad that the modern black rolemodel is so healthy.

Maxwell, have you seen the movie in the last 20 years?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/06 at 10:49 am

Oh yes, the modern Hollywood stereotypes of blacks is much more flattering then those old ones.

Instead of being religious and polite, they are now gun carrying thugs who smoke dope and use "biatch" "niga", and all other sorts of languate that is inappropriate.

Feh, you've missed my point entirely. I don't think you even want to acknowledge it. It's as though you did not read my last three posts.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/02/06 at 5:50 pm

The "tar baby" is - literally - a glob of tar made up to look like a baby.  When you pick it up, it sticks to you.  The harder you try to shake it off, the more bits of tar get stuck to you in other places.  The more fingers/arms/feet/sticks/brushes you use to try to remove it, the more entrapped you become. 

SO... when the Ku Klux Klan refers to Black people as "Tar Babies" it means.... ?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/06 at 8:31 pm

SO... when the Ku Klux Klan refers to Black people as "Tar Babies" it means.... ?

I don't know. Harris, the one who first wrote down the "Brer Rabbit" tales claimed it was not. The tar baby and Br'er Rabbit were metaphors for how blacks under slavery had only their wits as weapons against whites.

If whites intend the term "tar baby" to be denigrating to blacks, denigrating it will become. The term "'coon" was once just a truncation of "racoon." Now we all know it can be one of the ugliest racial slurs.

Tony Snow did not think the term was racist. Toni Morrison did. Whose opinion on the subject do you think carries more weight? The rightwing blog Free Republic defended Snow's use of "Tar Baby" on the supposed intentions of the folklore. I don't think Snow intended at all to make a racial slur. However, I do not think it was a wise choice of words.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/06 at 10:07 pm

It means they're too stupid to even be good bigots.

(I can't take credit for that line.  I got it from the 1980s classic "Porky's", which was as good a trip to the 50s as "Back to the Future" ever was -- with the exception that some of its humor was deadly serious.)

Written By: STAR70 on 06/03/06 at 6:02 pm

It means they're too stupid to even be good bigots.

(I can't take credit for that line.  I got it from the 1980s classic "Porky's", which was as good a trip to the 50s as "Back to the Future" ever was -- with the exception that some of its humor was deadly serious.)

SO... the way "Tar Babies" is NOW used in our lexicon :the "Negroes" are undesirables which are stuck to the Aryans no matter how much the latter try to do away with them.

Hey, that's great.... THANK YOU DISNEY!!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/03/06 at 6:06 pm

You don't really think...nah, couldn't be!
:o

Having been called one, yeah really.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/03/06 at 6:24 pm

Having been called one, yeah really.

this so-o-o-o-o t-o-o-o-o-tally sucks

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/06 at 11:35 pm

SO... the way "Tar Babies" is NOW used in our lexicon :the "Negroes" are undesirables which are stuck to the Aryans no matter how much the latter try to do away with them.

Hey, that's great.... THANK YOU DISNEY!!!!

Huh?  Whose lexicon?  And when?  If you're bringing it up because of what a policitian said a few days ago - read the transcript and swap out "tar baby" for "Negro", and then try it again for "issue that's so complicated that I'll only get myself in trouble for talking about it".  One of these interpretations makes sense.  The other makes no sense - linguistically, never mind politically - at all.

People from Africa invented the story.  Invented the term.  Disney preserved the story, and did so faithfully.  A tar baby is bait.  A trap which relies on its victim's efforts to break free.  Much like this conversation -- the harder I try to explain to you that the term contains no racial overtones, and the more often you miss the point, the more often I post to this thread :)

The  only  people who use "tar baby" as a perjorative term for people whose skin color is more "brown" than "pink", are those who do so because they're too stupid to even be proficient at bigotry.  And the hypersensitive - who are just as ignorant of those whose interests they purport to defend.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/06 at 1:10 am

Huh?  Whose lexicon?  And when?  If you're bringing it up because of what a policitian said a few days ago - read the transcript and swap out "tar baby" for "Negro", and then try it again for "issue that's so complicated that I'll only get myself in trouble for talking about it".  One of these interpretations makes sense.  The other makes no sense - linguistically, never mind politically - at all.

People from Africa invented the story.  Invented the term.  Disney preserved the story, and did so faithfully.  A tar baby is bait.  A trap which relies on its victim's efforts to break free.  Much like this conversation -- the harder I try to explain to you that the term contains no racial overtones, and the more often you miss the point, the more often I post to this thread :)

The  only  people who use "tar baby" as a perjorative term for people whose skin color is more "brown" than "pink", are those who do so because they're too stupid to even be proficient at bigotry.  And the hypersensitive - who are just as ignorant of those whose interests they purport to defend.

It may not be fair, but some develop racist connotations because enough racists use them for a long enough time. That's what I was saying about the truncation of racoon, "coon."
If you can remember the '70s, you might remember a fastfood chain called "Sambo's" To make a long story short, "Sambo" was a pejorative for African American males even before Helen Bannerman's book "Little Black Sambo" was published in 1898.*  No one is really sure where the term came from, and Bannerman was Scottish and lived in India. Her book's here was illustrated after the darker ethnicities of the Indian subcontinent. Like Joel Chandler Harris, we cannot say the author had any malice. In 19th century white people were genuinely racist. They were acculturated to believe other racist and ethnic groups were inferior to whites, and it was possible for them to do so with no hate in their hearts. But they were still racist. The restaurant chain "Sambo's" (and you can research this on the web) was started by two guys whose first names were Sam and Bob. "Sambo's" was catchier than "Sam & Bob's." However, they had to fight accusations of bigotry post Civil Rights era, a fight they finally lost in the late '70s. The chain was briefly called "Sam's" and then renamed something else altogether, I can't remember. It didn't matter that "Sambo's" had no history of illegal discrimination against African Americans as employees or customers, or even complaints against them as setting a hostile atmosphere to African Americans. So perhaps the grief they got because of the name wasn't quite fair, but sometimes guilt-by-association wins out.

*of note, in Harriet Beecher-Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (1852), Simon Legree's two big thug's are named Quimbo and Sambo, but that's the only earlier reference I can think of.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/04/06 at 7:02 am

Have you?  This post you have offered oozes condescension, the air of a trussed up country parson.  Wasn't it better that "they" had role models on screen of the pious, polite, servant to show them how to act.  Much more comfortable for the caucasians, too, while they watch Bogie, and Cagney, after all for them it is entertainment, they already know how to act.  There is now at least a choice when looking at main stream media.  If all you saw in the old portrayals of African Americans, or minorities in general was religious and polite you weren't looking with open eyes. It's not a choice between Step n Fetchit or the depictions in "Birth of a Nation" anymore.  How heartwarming it must be for you to recollect the movie portrayal of the Pullman Porter, or the cook or the maid, being happy in what they were doing, saying thank you sir and yes ma'am. Let me tell you after seeing that, watching Samuel L Jackson with a pump action does my heart good.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/04/06 at 3:15 pm

the lexicon to which I refer is the lexicon of Modern ameriKKKan society. The argument that "once upon a time a certain racial epithet wasn't perjorative, so get over it" is completely, totally, and utterly spurrious, and reeks of Aryan longing for the "good ol' days" of slavery and Jim Crow. For example,  once upon a time, the term "moron" was a scientific term to describe the mentally challenged. Would you now walk up to a present day college football linebacker and say " Hey, moron! What time is it?" What would the guy do to you?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/06 at 4:10 pm

the lexicon to which I refer is the lexicon of Modern ameriKKKan society. The argument that "once upon a time a certain racial epithet wasn't perjorative, so get over it" is completely, totally, and utterly spurrious, and reeks of

fond memories of squeezing in both Public Enemy's "(I don't wanna be called) Yo N*ahem*ga" and NWA's "NWA" in the same set, just to offend everybody!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/06 at 4:23 pm

the lexicon to which I refer is the lexicon of Modern ameriKKKan society. The argument that "once upon a time a certain racial epithet wasn't perjorative, so get over it" is completely, totally, and utterly spurrious, and reeks of Aryan longing for the "good ol' days" of slavery and Jim Crow. For example,  once upon a time, the term "moron" was a scientific term to describe the mentally challenged. Would you now walk up to a present day college football linebacker and say " Hey, moron! What time is it?" What would the guy do to you?

He'd say, "Duh, I think it's second quarter, third down."
Contemporary pejoratives idiot, moron, imbecile, etc. were once designations of mental disabilities, but they were not used as froms of address any more than you would say, "Hey, mildly retarded person..." Of course, "Hey, retard..." was popular when I was growing up. Popular, but not nice!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/06 at 4:29 pm

Have you?  This post you have offered oozes condescension, the air of a trussed up country parson.  Wasn't it better that "they" had role models on screen of the pious, polite, servant to show them how to act.  Much more comfortable for the caucasians, too, while they watch Bogie, and Cagney, after all for them it is entertainment, they already know how to act.  There is now at least a choice when looking at main stream media.  If all you saw in the old portrayals of African Americans, or minorities in general was religious and polite you weren't looking with open eyes. It's not a choice between Step n Fetchit or the depictions in "Birth of a Nation" anymore.  How heartwarming it must be for you to recollect the movie portrayal of the Pullman Porter, or the cook or the maid, being happy in what they were doing, saying thank you sir and yes ma'am. Let me tell you after seeing that, watching Samuel L Jackson with a pump action does my heart good.

We're a lost cause, Danoota! We uppity northern liberals will never understand how much happier the negro was when he knew his place and the white man knew his.

(I mean, jesus, it's like the guy's trying to embarrass himself!)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 06/04/06 at 4:51 pm

(I mean, jesus, it's like the guy's trying to embarrass himself!)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Can you imagine?    ???

Written By: Tam on 06/04/06 at 4:52 pm

For Disney to not release this movie makes them somewhat contradictory.

Having been to Disney World in Orlando Florida last year, I can attest to the fact that they still promote the characters and the movie throughout The Magic Kingdom! There is a water roller coaster ride (for which I cannot remember the name) that is solely devoted to Bre'r Rabbit and his companions. Song's from the movie are played the entire ride and at the end there are tv screens actually screening parts of the movie!

Further on in The Magic Kingdom, you will find employees dressed in character costumes from the movie and you will also find Actual people performing hoe downs and singing songs from the movie!

So am I to understand that it is ok for Disney to have it in/on their property without racial criticism but it is simply too much for them to put it out to the general public?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 5:25 pm

I can't begin to tell you how utterly infuriating it is to see you describe America/Americans/American society like that.  I am not naive enough to think that no one in this country is racist, has racist leanings, things like that.  There are degenerates like that all over this country.  However, I would never say that ALL of us are like that or that those who are that way are indicative of our society as a whole.  Painting with a wide brush does no one any good.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/06 at 11:57 pm

Having been to Disney World in Orlando Florida last year, I can attest to the fact that they still promote the characters and the movie throughout The Magic Kingdom! There is a water roller coaster ride (for which I cannot remember the name) that is solely devoted to Bre'r Rabbit and his companions. Song's from the movie are played the entire ride and at the end there are tv screens actually screening parts of the movie!

Further on in The Magic Kingdom, you will find employees dressed in character costumes from the movie and you will also find Actual people performing hoe downs and singing songs from the movie!

So am I to understand that it is ok for Disney to have it in/on their property without racial criticism but it is simply too much for them to put it out to the general public?

Disney? Sheesh! If they could get away with it they'd have Stepin Fetchit-Al Jolson-style Minstrel shows in full regalia, you know, "lawdy, lawdy, lawdy!" On the one hand Disney is a multinational corporation. On the other hand, DisneyWorld is tucked away in the swamps of central Florida....

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/06 at 4:38 am

Disney is adept at Disneyfication and isn't adverse to Disnneyfying itself. The characters as they are presented are benign and do not give a hint to the ways in which they were portrayed in the movie.

Written By: Tam on 06/05/06 at 12:06 pm

Disney? Sheesh! If they could get away with it they'd have Stepin Fetchit-Al Jolson-style Minstrel shows in full regalia, you know, "lawdy, lawdy, lawdy!" On the one hand Disney is a multinational corporation. On the other hand, DisneyWorld is tucked away in the swamps of central Florida....

Disney is adept at Disneyfication and isn't adverse to Disnneyfying itself. The characters as they are presented are benign and do not give a hint to the ways in which they were portrayed in the movie.

Both points taken and understood. It just seemed to me that if they were going to represent something on the outside that they would do it on the inside as well. Obviously not the way they are looking at it.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 1:49 pm

I can't begin to tell you how utterly infuriating it is to see you describe America/Americans/American society like that.  I am not naive enough to think that no one in this country is racist, has racist leanings, things like that.  There are degenerates like that all over this country.  However, I would never say that ALL of us are like that or that those who are that way are indicative of our society as a whole.  Painting with a wide brush does no one any good.

what's the matter? did I hit too close to home?

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 1:53 pm

He'd say, "Duh, I think it's second quarter, third down."
Contemporary pejoratives idiot, moron, imbecile, etc. were once designations of mental disabilities, but they were not used as froms of address any more than you would say, "Hey, mildly retarded person..." Of course, "Hey, retard..." was popular when I was growing up. Popular, but not nice!

let me use another example. once upon a time, the word "F@ggot" meant "torch".
Now, walk up to the same college football linebacker and ask him, "What's the time, F@ggot!"
What would he do to you?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 2:03 pm

what's the matter? did I hit too close to home?

This statement makes ZERO sense.  Are you calling me a racist?  Are you calling members of my family a racist?  Are you saying I have racist friends?  Because if you are, you had best NOT do it again.  Not only is it extremely presumptuous, it's offensive.  I'm not sure if you said that because you think I'm from Georgia just because I live here, or what.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 2:07 pm

Now, walk up to the same college football linebacker and ask him, "What's the time, F@ggot!"
What would he do to you?

WTF?

Okay, assuming that what you said is true (****** once apon a time meant torch), why would you walk up to someone and say "What's the time, torch"?  That makes no sense. 

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/06 at 3:15 pm

WTF?

Okay, assuming that what you said is true (****** once apon a time meant torch), why would you walk up to someone and say "What's the time, torch"?  That makes no sense. 

Right, a better example would be "Hey Tar Baby, got a fag?" how far do you think that would fly(or the person who said it)?

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 3:17 pm

This statement makes ZERO sense.  Are you calling me a racist?  Are you calling members of my family a racist?  Are you saying I have racist friends?  Because if you are, you had best NOT do it again.  Not only is it extremely presumptuous, it's offensive.  I'm not sure if you said that because you think I'm from Georgia just because I live here, or what.

did I strike a nerve?

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 3:23 pm

Right, a better example would be "Hey Tar Baby, got a fag?" how far do you think that would fly(or the person who said it)?

I couldn't have said it better myself! She shoots, she scores!!!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 3:39 pm

did I strike a nerve?

Keep it up and I'm reporting you.  I don't tolerate being called a racist.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 3:43 pm

Not well.  But in England, the word fag means cigarette, so if you asked someone over there for a fag, you probably wouldn't get the same reaction as you would here.

Either way, you shouldn't use that word to begin with.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 3:50 pm

am I scratching your suface?

Nope.

You mistake my anger at being labeled something I'm not with anger for being labeled something I am.  If you think it's cool to call people racists, you need a reality check.  I don't know what makes people think that just because they're online they can say things to people they don't have the balls to say to someone's face in real life.  People like you are the reason I hate living in the South to begin with.

Written By: Tam on 06/05/06 at 3:51 pm

... at any rate - I decided to look up some facts on Song of the South for my own knowledge.
Went to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_south

Even Roger Ebert agrees with not releasing it as "...most Disney films become a part of the consciousness of American children, who take films more literally than do adults."

???

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/06 at 3:55 pm

Not well.  But in England, the word fag means cigarette, so if you asked someone over there for a fag, you probably wouldn't get the same reaction as you would here.

Either way, you shouldn't use that word to begin with.

The example we were using was in regards to speaking to a linebacker in football, yes yes yes they have football in England, but I don't believe the have linebackers, or anyone resembling Andre Tippet.

http://www.athlonsports.com/store/images/atip8x10.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 3:57 pm

The example we were using was in regards to speaking to a linebacker in football, yes yes yes they have football in England, but I don't believe the have linebackers, or anyone resembling Andre Tippet.

I know what example you were using.  I was highlighting that while the word as two separate meanings between here and England, you shouldn't use that word no matter who you're speaking to, lineman or otherwise.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 4:02 pm

I can't begin to tell you how utterly infuriating it is to see you describe America/Americans/American society like that.

You mistake my anger at being labeled something I'm not with anger for being labeled something I am.  If you think it's cool to call people racists, you need a reality check.  I don't know what makes people think that just because they're online they can say things to people they don't have the balls to say to someone's face in real life.  People like you are the reason I hate living in the South to begin with.

do I stress you out?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 4:03 pm

do I stress you out?

Now you're just making me laugh.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 4:04 pm

The example we were using was in regards to speaking to a linebacker in football, yes yes yes they have football in England, but I don't believe they have linebackers, ...

in England they're called "Midfielders"

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/06 at 4:07 pm

I know what example you were using.  I was highlighting that while the word as two separate meanings between here and England, you shouldn't use that word no matter who you're speaking to, lineman or otherwise.

That    is    the    point  we  have  been  trying  to  make.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 4:08 pm

So I can't make the point to?  That must have been written down somewhere I didn't see.

Written By: STAR70 on 06/05/06 at 4:32 pm

here is another example:

When Shakespeare uses the word "niggardly" is it racially motivated?

Shakespeare uses the term in The Comedy of Errors (3.1.30); Henry V (2.4.49); The Merry Wives (2.2.187); and Twelfth Night (2.5.5). He uses the terms "niggard" and "niggarding" in more plays and sonnets still. He uses it in two ways: "to put off" or "miserly"/"sparingly". The word, originating from the Middle English "nigard" and the Scandinavian word "nig" which means "stingy person", does not have any racial connotations in Shakespeare's works.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/faq/generalfaq.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO, once upon a time in Merry Olde England the term "Niggard" was a binign term. I guess some poeple would say it's therefore A-OK to use it today when addressing Andre Tippett!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/06 at 4:33 pm

This is my take on the subject. I understand that the movie is offensive but I really hate censorship and not releasing it IS censorship. There are many movies that were made over the years that are very offensive but they are still being release to the public. Like Birth of a Nation, Song of the South is concidered a classic (offensive or not-they are classics). I like watching classic movies but I view them in the context that they were made-and sometimes even laugh at the stereotypes. One example is that I was watching Orphan of the Storm (another G.W. Griffith film). It took place during the French Revolution and they were warning people about Bolshovics (did you know that the Bolshovics were around during the French Revolution?  :o  ;D ;D)  I have yet to see Birth of a Nation because I know it is offensive but I am also curious as to how a film had such a profound impact on society (and still does in a way). I feel the same way about Song of the South. But I really hate censorship in any way, shape, or form.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

-Voltaire

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/06 at 4:38 pm

This is my take on the subject. I understand that the movie is offensive but I really hate censorship and not releasing it IS censorship. There are many movies that were made over the years that are very offensive but they are still being release to the public. Like Birth of a Nation, Song of the South is concidered a classic (offensive or not-they are classics). I like watching classic movies but I view them in the context that they were made-and sometimes even laugh at the stereotypes. One example is that I was watching Orphan of the Storm (another G.W. Griffith film). It took place during the French Revolution and they were warning people about Bolshovics (did you know that the Bolshovics were around during the French Revolution?  :o  ;D ;D)  I have yet to see Birth of a Nation because I know it is offensive but I am also curious as to how a film had such a profound impact on society (and still does in a way). I feel the same way about Song of the South. But I really hate censorship in any way, shape, or form.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

-Voltaire

Cat

I don't believe censorship is an issue here since it isn't government imposed censorship, and Song of the South has been released in other countries and in this day and age it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a copy, without fear of confiscation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/06 at 5:00 pm

I don't believe censorship is an issue here since it isn't government imposed censorship, and Song of the South has been released in other countries and in this day and age it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a copy, without fear of confiscation.

It is Disney censoring it-for fear of retaliation I'm sure.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/06 at 5:16 pm

here is another example:

When Shakespeare uses the word "niggardly" is it racially motivated?

Shakespeare uses the term in The Comedy of Errors (3.1.30); Henry V (2.4.49); The Merry Wives (2.2.187); and Twelfth Night (2.5.5). He uses the terms "niggard" and "niggarding" in more plays and sonnets still. He uses it in two ways: "to put off" or "miserly"/"sparingly". The word, originating from the Middle English "nigard" and the Scandinavian word "nig" which means "stingy person", does not have any racial connotations in Shakespeare's works.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/faq/generalfaq.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO, once upon a time in Merry Olde England the term "Niggard" was a binign term. I guess some poeple would say it's therefore A-OK to use it today when addressing Andre Tippett!!!

Now, now, racial issues are nothing to s****** about!
S******:To utter a partly stifled laugh.  Variant of snicker, in turn having its origins perhaps in the Dutch word "snikken," to gasp or sob. This is disputed, some scholars believe "snicker," thus "s******" might simply be imitative.

As with the "niggardly" controversy in 1999 (in which a white aide to the black mayor of Washington D.C. offended people who didn't know what the word meant), I do NOT support stifling of vocabular simply because one word is partially homonymous with an offensive word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niggardly
This was a travesty.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 5:28 pm

It would be absolute lunacy to do so.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/06 at 6:07 pm

It is Disney censoring it-for fear of retaliation I'm sure.

Cat

I don't respect their not issuing it only because they have released it in other countries.  It is okay by me if they decided that it was ignorant and insulting and decided to no longer show it, but what they have done is
a bigger insult.  There is a difference between censorship and deciding something is better left to rot.  There is plenty enough out there to keep us amused.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/05/06 at 8:34 pm

What would he do to you?

Depends on if he's in a gay bar or not.  Everything's context-sensitive.

I mention this because I got my musical references wrong in my original post.  If I really wanted to offend folks, the correct order would be:

NWA: "Straight Outta Compton" - the "gangsta" rap album was also the first time "N" was really thrust in the face as a mark of pride to mainstream America.
Public Enemy - their response to the West Coast gangsta phenomenon and attempt to reclaim the N-word - "I don't wanna be called 'Yo N*ahem*ga')
NWA: "N*mumble*ggas4life" - their response to Public Enemy, which was even further over the top.

Not only are some words context-sensitive ("F*g" in a locker room vs. gay bar), they're speaker-sensitive (is the speaker black or not.  As a pasty pinkskin, I don't use the "N-word" even though my melanin-enhanced co-workers are free(r) to do so with each other).  Finally, they're culturally-sensitive.  (With the PE vs. NWA battles on whether or not black people should be using "the N word" as gays use "f*g", being the best example.)

If you're Disney, you take the coward's way out. 

(Then again, Warner Brothers has had Whoopi Goldberg pre-apologizing for some WW2-era cartoons and some post-WW2 cartoons that featured a few frames of blackface as tributes to Jolson -- but they still haven't dared release  "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs".  I'd argue that WB ought to release it for historical reasons, but you won't even catch me defending the stereotypes in that one.  Everyone ought to see it -- because after Coal Black, the worst things you can scrape out of Song of the South are positively tame by comparison.)

Yeah, we were stupid back then.  Yeah, some of us are stupid now.  Most of us, however, have gotten better.  And that's why these cartoons should be seen.

Written By: woops on 06/05/06 at 8:55 pm

Whoopi Goldberg is a fan of Looney Tunes and actually have said to like "Coal Black", though  only seen screen pics, it had actual African American voices (Vivian Dandredge as So White) and supposed to be a tribute to jazz/swing music of the time, which directer Bob Clampett was a fan of. 

Disney had released their WWII cartoons a few years ago and Warner Bros. might in their next "Golden Collection". 

Written By: woops on 06/05/06 at 9:00 pm

Also, Warner Bros. had released a video titled "Bugs & Daffy: The Wartime Cartoons", which I own that have "Herr Meets Hare", "Plane Daffy", "Daffy the Commando", and "Russian Rhapsody".

Though mostly with German stereotypes and I heard they changed the content (this tape?) since there were protest against "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", which feature him against Japanese soldiers.

Since I'm not white, I wonder if it's OK to watch cartoons featuring  Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam?  (heavy sarcasm)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/06 at 5:23 am

^ I reiterate my basic premise. I'm in favor of Disney releasing "Song of the South," it's the company's First Amendment right. I object to denying the racism inherent in the "Uncle Remus" stereotype. Racism does an insidious creep when we deny it exists.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/06 at 12:19 pm

I don't respect their not issuing it only because they have released it in other countries.  It is okay by me if they decided that it was ignorant and insulting and decided to no longer show it, but what they have done is
a bigger insult.  There is a difference between censorship and deciding something is better left to rot.  There is plenty enough out there to keep us amused.

It doesn't make sense why they released it in other countries and won't release it here.

Cat

Written By: STAR70 on 06/06/06 at 1:54 pm

As a pasty pinkskin, I don't use the "N-word" even though my melanin-enhanced co-workers are free(r) to do so with each other

why don't you call your Vitamin D enriched co-workers "Tar Baby," if, in fact, it's as benign as you say it is?

Yeah, we were stupid back then.  Yeah, some of us are stupid now.  Most of us, however, have gotten better.  .

Many of you long for the good ol' days

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/06 at 4:34 pm

It doesn't make sense why they released it in other countries and won't release it here.

Cat

The main reason is because they are hypocrites.  One would like to believe that they won't release it because it no longer fits what they would consider a family values mode given the insulting way in which African Americans are portrayed.  The reality is probably closer to there being a a protest from a larger minority community here than in other less diverse countries, so they go where they can get cash unimpeded, and it is all about the cash.  I am sure that there are many many books, movies, plays, etc that are stashed away that were popular in their day but upon review people wondered what the hell they people were thinking in presenting something so insulting.  I would also question why, considering that this is the age of the remake, Disney doesn't just remake the movie, I'm sure it could be done, and done well.

Check for new replies or respond here...