» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - RIP

Written By: Mushroom on 06/08/06 at 7:20 am

The leader of Al-Queda in Iraq is finally dead.  According to all reports, al-Zarquawi and 7 of his highest aids were killed in a bombing yesterday.

And the top seems to have come from one of his Iraqi Lieutenants.  From initial reports, the Lieutenant became dissatisfied with the constant attempts to foster civil war inside Iraq, and turned him in with the hope that it will bring peace to his country.

I can only hope that this helps settle down things in Iraq, and that this chain of violence soon ends.

Subject: Re: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - RIP

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 7:54 am

so the war's over, then? we can go home?

this dude was a sick sonuvabitch but let's not forget we weren't enemies with him before bush attacked iraq. i'll be curious to see who takes his place.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/06 at 7:58 am

Wow!  We've totally turned the tide now according to Bush.  Just like we did last week when we killed some #2 guy, or killed those civilians, or, heck, why even bother anymore.  It's like dropping a tray of ice cubes into the ocean to offset global warming.  It's an apt analogy of course.  Bush claims we turned the tide in Iraq so many times, it happens almost as often as the real ocean has high/low tide everyday.

Written By: jackas on 06/08/06 at 8:21 am

Awesome news!  I'm sure this won't change much of what's going on over there, but every little bit helps.  I'm sure it feels like a big relief to the Iraqi people.  I just hope they get some peace soon.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/08/06 at 9:15 am

so the war's over, then? we can go home?

this dude was a sick sonuvabitch but let's not forget we weren't enemies with him before bush attacked iraq. i'll be curious to see who takes his place.

**INSERTION OF TRUTH**

Actually, yes we were.

Al-Zarquwi was injured in Afganistan, and went to Iraq when Saddam offered any Al Queda member medical aid during their fight against the US and Northern Alliance forces there.  We were actually fighting against him and his organization over a year before the invasion of Iraq.

And the support of him and other Al Queda members was one of the things that brought Iraq back into the bullseye of the administration.  Al-Zarqawi was in Iraq during the invasion as a guest of Saddam Hussein.

And we were not yet at war with Iraq when Al-Zarqawi himself cut the head off of Nicholas Berg.

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 9:29 am

my bee. it's really hard keeping the old enemies square with the enemies created by the right wing.

you guys should come up with a flow chart, maybe?

Written By: Mushroom on 06/08/06 at 9:38 am

my bee. it's really hard keeping the old enemies square with the enemies created by the right wing.

Uhhh, actually this guy (as well as Bin Laden and the rest of Al Queda) declaired war against the US during the Clinton Administration.  And many of their attacks (USS Cole, 1st WTC, LAX Bombing Plot, and at least 3 embassy attacks) were all during that time period.

So how was this enemy created by the "right wing"?  Oh I love the logic used when there is a lack of information.

Oh, and don't forget that al-Zarqawi was under a death sentence by his own country.  This is because of a series of hotel bombings he did in Jordan.  And also do not forget that we were not the main targets of al-Zarqawi.  In all of his most recent statements, he urged the insurgents to stop fighting the US and Iraqi forces, and to concentrate on killing civilians.  This is because he wanted to foster a Shi'a-Sunni civil war in Iraq.

Written By: jackas on 06/08/06 at 9:39 am

Yes, it would be something like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Written By: jackas on 06/08/06 at 9:41 am

Uhhh, actually this guy (as well as Bin Laden and the rest of Al Queda) declaired war against the US during the Clinton Administration.  And many of their attacks (USS Cole, 1st WTC, LAX Bombing Plot, and at least 3 embassy attacks) were all during that time period.

So how was this enemy created by the "right wing"?  Oh I love the logic used when there is a lack of information.

Oh, and don't forget that al-Zarqawi was under a death sentence by his own country.  This is because of a series of hotel bombings he did in Jordan.  And also do not forget that we were not the main targets of al-Zarqawi.  In all of his most recent statements, he urged the insurgents to stop fighting the US and Iraqi forces, and to concentrate on killing civilians.  This is because he wanted to foster a Shi'a-Sunni civil war in Iraq.

Hey, hey, hey....don't try and make sense Mushroom, the liberals don't like it. :P ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/08/06 at 9:52 am

I'm glad. :)

Oh, and although this will help some, I wouldn't bet the farm on this turning the tides or anything.  "Iraq" has a history of hostility within.  Its not like its an invention of Zarqawi or the Saudi extremists who have come into the country.  We're dealing with the same thing the British did 80 years ago.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/06 at 9:52 am

The Republicans didn't create him.  Sure, he's guilty and it's not hard to draw the conclusion that everyone is better off without him. 

HOWEVER

The Republicans have been using his presence in Iraq as the justification for their military presence. He's the boogyman they've been saying has been behind all the insurgents.  Now that he's dead (with a lot of help from Jordan who wanted him dead even worse than the US), Bush and the rest of his buddies will have to invent a new talking point.  People will notice that the car bombs haven't ceased going off, that the different factions aren't still shooting each other, etc.  His death is going to change very little.  Except for maybe Bush's approval rating.  I bet he gets at least a 2 point or maybe even a 4 point bump into the mid-30's.

Written By: jackas on 06/08/06 at 9:55 am

The Republicans didn't create him.  Sure, he's guilty and it's not hard to draw the conclusion that everyone is better off without him. 

HOWEVER

The Republicans have been using his presence in Iraq as the justification for their military presence. He's the boogyman they've been saying has been behind all the insurgents.  Now that he's dead (with a lot of help from Jordan who wanted him dead even worse than the US), Bush and the rest of his buddies will have to invent a new talking point.  People will notice that the car bombs haven't ceased going off, that the different factions aren't still shooting each other, etc.  His death is going to change very little.  Except for maybe Bush's approval rating.  I bet he gets at least a 2 point or maybe even a 4 point bump into the mid-30's.

Well said. :)

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 9:56 am

*insertion of more right-wing fiddlefaddle*

this woulda been when the republicans were going on about how clinton's actions against al qaeda were a distraction from monica lewinsky, yes?

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/08/06 at 10:03 am

*insertion of more right-wing fiddlefaddle*

Whats funny is this guy tries to pass himself off as a "moderate". ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 11:10 am

funny how much the liberal media are covering this. i'vwe been listening to npr all morning and they've been talking about nothing else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/06 at 11:14 am

Say hello to Satan for me, Abu!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/saroll.gif

Actually, Chucky already said a dozen posts back what I was going to say, just more succinctly.

Yes, it would be something like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Infidel! You know what the Koran says about bacon!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/oink2.gif

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/08/06 at 11:16 am

Can't believe the originator of this thread has the audacity to put RIP at the end.
That abu bastard was a tyrant who personally beheaded people who'd managed to find them selves victim to his poxy regime
Hope the piece of sh1t suffered horrendously when blown to smithereens.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/06 at 11:37 am

Can't believe the originator of this thread has the audacity to put RIP at the end.
That abu bastard was a tyrant who personally beheaded people who'd managed to find them selves victim to his poxy regime

Republicans In Prayer

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/08/06 at 12:11 pm

I doubt it was meant to praise the man.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/08/06 at 1:02 pm

It actually is appropriate.  Requiescat in pace ("let him rest in peace") is something that I have no problem in saying.  After all, things will be much better now that this thug has assumed room temperature.  He is going to have to answer for his actions to a higher power, and that is between him and his God.

And honestly, I hope that he went quickly.  I am not the kind of person to enjoy the suffering of anybody, no matter how much he made other people suffer.  That is what seperates civilized people from barbarians.

[quote author=

Written By: Mushroom on 06/08/06 at 1:34 pm

Oh, here are a few more quotes.  Can you guess who made them?

1.  "Of course, we cannot pretend that this will mean an end of the violence, but it is a relief that such a heinous and dangerous man, who has caused so much harm to the Iraqis, is no longer around to continue his work."

2.  "Today's announcement was very good news because a blow against al Qaeda in Iraq was a blow against al Qaeda everywhere."

3.  "I'm sorry whenever any human being dies. Zarqawi is a human being. He has a family who are reacting just as my family reacted when Nick Berg was killed and I feel badly for that."

4.  "There's a special place in Hell reserved for him. What Zarqawi did, he killed everybody indiscriminately. He killed Sunni, Shia. He was trying to foment the civil war which he got going. So, what he would do he would kill Sunnis and that would get blamed on the Shia, and then he killed Shia, and then he killed Kurds. He killed anybody at all."

5.  "Sooner or later evil people meet their just desserts. The entire world of people who believe in freedom and peace can take solace in what happened."

6.  This is a good day for the Iraqi people, the U.S military and our intelligence community. Zarqawi was a cold blooded killer who got what he deserved. Yesterday

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 1:38 pm

i've never seen mushroom so excited!

Written By: jackas on 06/08/06 at 1:50 pm

i've never seen mushroom so excited!
;D ;D

He's been very busy.

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 2:26 pm

;D ;D

He's been very busy.
i'm getting ready to geek out hardcore with some 70s movie polls so i can't talk...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/08/06 at 4:55 pm

All that copying and pasting must take a lot of time up.  ::)

Yes here in the UK we quote RIP and of course I understand it to mean Rest In Peace, err ta for the translation - there's really no need.

The tosser doesn't deserve to rest in peace, can't we let some wild pigs chomp him up?  :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/08/06 at 7:38 pm

My liver cells are being consumed by alcohol tonight.  His are being consumed by worms.

I'm OK with that.

Do you guys realize how many servicemen, servicewomen, officers, contracted maintenance staff, mercenaries, weapons engineers, satellite launchers, programmers, aircraft designers, materials scientists, rosie-the-riveter types, test pilots,  chemists, engineering professors, high school teachers, parents, metallurgists, miners, steelworkers, commodities traders, railroad engineers, longhaul truckers, UPS/FedEx/USPS delivery guys, and bartenders I'm trying to raise a glass to tonight?  It's hard work.

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 7:46 pm

My liver cells are being consumed by alcohol tonight.  His are being consumed by worms.

I'm OK with that.

well, at least we can agree on something.

*hic*

i love you guys

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/06 at 9:41 pm

We got Saddam, we got al-Zaqawi, the Iraqi's got their own democratically elected government...things should be just fine over there now, right? So can our guys start coming home?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/home.gif

Investigative journalist Greg Palast weighs in on the killing of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi:

UNREPORTED: THE ZARQAWI INVITATION
by Greg Palast

They got him -- the big, bad, beheading berserker in Iraq.  But, something's gone unreported in all the glee over getting Zarqawi

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/06 at 6:43 pm

Here's the best part... After those two fire crackers were dropped on Abu's crib, the Delta Force commandoes raided the house and Abu was still alive (moaning).  The no-good piece of cr@p died knowing that the Americans snuffed him.  8)

They threw him on a stretcher and he mumbled something but they could not make out what he said.

My guess is that he was saying "What the F***?"  ;D

I tip my hat to all involved in pulling off this small victory.

Written By: Tia on 06/09/06 at 6:49 pm

yeah, i thought that was kinda fitting, although im with mushroom, improbably!, about not taking joy in others' suffering, i do think there's a certain justice in the dude lying there going, oh, this is what it felt like to those women and kids when i blew them away.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 7:10 pm

Here's the best part... After those two fire crackers were dropped on Abu's crib, the Delta Force commandoes raided the house and Abu was still alive (moaning).  The no-good piece of cr@p died knowing that the Americans snuffed him.  8)

They threw him on a stretcher and he mumbled something but they could not make out what he said.

My guess is that he was saying "What the F***?"   ;D

I tip my hat to all involved in pulling off this small victory.

The Bushies knew where AMaZ was for months---MONTHS--they could have gone in, arrested him, and made him stand trial. They killed him this week because the Bush Administration is so crappy the only way they can get anybody to like them is by killing somebody!
Actually, I'm not so sure they could have arrested al-Zarqawi unless al-Zarqawi cut some kind of nefarious deal. If they had to go in and arrest an unwilling al-Zarqawi, they'da prolly f**ked the dog!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/09/06 at 8:03 pm

Didja hear?  His 'blog is still up! 

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2006/06/paradise_blows.html

Warning: Not-Safe-For-Work (NSFW) language.  Also, funny enough to be unsafe for keyboards whether you're drinking coffee or beer.

Written By: Tam on 06/09/06 at 9:06 pm

So now that he is dead, when are the troops pulling out?

Fat chance of that! It would ultimately result in all out civil war and the US would be blamed for hot helping when help was needed. I have stated this before and will state it to the end. America's Military has to stay in place for years to come to be sure that some sort of organized chaos is maintained.

Of course I don't like this, my husband being a service member, but hey - a spouse and children aren't issued to soldiers - they have them by choice. Again apparently not the Military's fault that families are seperated. I support my husband and his chosen career 100% and have already gone through 1 complete tour of duty in Iraq. Because of this I am glad that bastard is dead! I just wish his death could mean the resolution of this war.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 10:12 pm

So now that he is dead, when are the troops pulling out?

Fat chance of that!

The military-industrial complex is building a base in Iraq bigger than the Vatican, including fastfood joints and a used car dealerships. In 2002, Don Rumsfeld said he "doubted" we would be there six months...what gives?
::)

(and why was Neil Bush dining with John Hinckley's brother the night before the assassination attempt?)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/11/06 at 6:38 pm

yeah, i thought that was kinda fitting, although im with mushroom, improbably!, about not taking joy in others' suffering, i do think there's a certain justice in the dude lying there going, oh, this is what it felt like to those women and kids when i blew them away.

Agree, and there is no joy about my person..simply 'what goes around comes around.'

Written By: Mushroom on 06/16/06 at 10:04 am

Of course I don't like this, my husband being a service member, but hey - a spouse and children aren't issued to soldiers - they have them by choice. Again apparently not the Military's fault that families are seperated. I support my husband and his chosen career 100% and have already gone through 1 complete tour of duty in Iraq. Because of this I am glad that bastard is dead! I just wish his death could mean the resolution of this war.

I thank you for all that you have done as well.

Being the spouse of a member of the military has to be one of the hardest things in the world.  I know it was not easy on my ex.  She was simply never able to adapt to the places we had to live during my time in (like North Carolina).  She had lived in big cities all her life, and the semi-nomadic lifestyle was not something she was able to handle.

Check for new replies or respond here...