» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What nerve Gore has with global warming issue!

Written By: saver on 06/18/06 at 11:44 pm

Just another example of politicians at work....

We all know how politicians say one thing then try to backpeddle...

Don't support this GLOBAL WARMING VENTUREE OF AL GORE..save your money.

Gore was part of the cabinet that REFUSED the nuclear power proposals during the Clinton years so now we're 8-10 years behind improving the issue.

And here he is waving his movie on 'oh look at this global warming we're in danger!" BULLY to you Mr. Gore..you had the power to do something about it YEARS ago AND DIDN'T/WOULDN'T.

Yes, I acknowledge global warming but go to the science community and see what is happening.
How many of the people he quotes and points to are RECEIVING MONEY from some organization that they support to back up all the drivel Gore puts out.

I am aware of 10,000 scientists that AREN'T on a list to benefit from giving their views and they have a different story to tell.

:-X

Subject: Re: What nerve Gore has with global warming issue!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/19/06 at 12:48 am

Yes, how dare he educate people about a problem that will only grow steadily worse and worse during the coming years.  How dare he.  The gall of that man.  Someone take him out back and horsewhip him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/06 at 1:10 am

Contrary to popular belief the "nuclear option" is not a solution to global warming. It takes eighteen of a thirty year plant lifespan to make up for the fossil fuel energy it takes to buld a nuke plant in the first place. Furthermore, we don't have a realistic solution for storage on neculear wastes with half-lives of hundreds to thousands to hundreds of thousands of years. Nuke plants by design belch nuclear wastes as a form off-gassing. These contribute to green-house warming and to cancers, birth defects, and genetic anomolies. Nukes are not the way to go. Sorry.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/19/06 at 4:38 am

Who cares?  This issue is too important to be pointing fingers.  I'm glad SOMEONE is trying to take charge on it and bring it into the limelight where it should be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/06 at 11:37 am

[quote author=

Written By: saver on 06/19/06 at 9:25 pm

Contrary to popular belief the "nuclear option" is not a solution to global warming. It takes eighteen of a thirty year plant lifespan to make up for the fossil fuel energy it takes to buld a nuke plant in the first place. Furthermore, we don't have a realistic solution for storage on neculear wastes with half-lives of hundreds to thousands to hundreds of thousands of years. Nuke plants by design belch nuclear wastes as a form off-gassing. These contribute to green-house warming and to cancers, birth defects, and genetic anomolies. Nukes are not the way to go. Sorry.

Of course there is a realistic solution...but the ecofrauds are complaining about NOTHING!

The solution for now is to store the spent fuel rods in Yucca mountain which some uninformed don't understand the unnecessary worries.

The gasses(whatever you are considering) from nuclear plants are most likely 10,000-100,000 times LESS dangerous then the CURRENT coal burning plants in existance and NUKES are the best solution for now compared to that.

If AlGore had help pass the motion to begin construction about 10 years ago, we would be a lot closer than the 18-30 years to have active use....but no one would lidten to the experts who stood up to the arguements..the Sierra Club and Greenpeace (types) all fought to ban the nukes and now we have more rotten chemicals in the atmosphere than nuke plants would have.

The following post is just to explain to the previous writer I understand global warming is happening but I will answer separately the earlier messageboard quote... 

Written By: saver on 06/19/06 at 9:37 pm

Yes, how dare he educate people about a problem that will only grow steadily worse and worse during the coming years.  How dare he.  The gall of that man.  Someone take him out back and horsewhip him.

No doubt, there is global warming BUT I am pointing out the hypocracy of Mr. Gore who is trying to wipe his butt with his previous attitude of not helping stop the matter WHEN HE COULD HAVE..so then he comes out with a movie to bring the problem to our attention.THAT'S HYPOCRITICAL!

The movie may have all the issues on the table BUT will we hear how he would pass assisitance to helping the problem when he was in office. No..not one of those members of the Clinton staff will tell you THAT part of the story.

Enjoy the movie it could all be true but he's giving us the Michael Moore treatment and THAT I resent.

*An added note-in California MTBE was a cancerous aditive to gasoline that was fought against using BUT ecofrauds from the Sierra Club and Greenpeace (types) said they saw no harm...MR. GORE
while in office had the ability to wave his arm and say STOP using this(TEXAS FLAT OUT REFUSED IT AND WON APPROVAL NOT TO ADD IT),yet these Californian tree huggers etc fought it tooth and nail to be used ..California added it  and FINALLY the research proves its effect and NOW the Sierra club etc is backpeddling to support its discontinued use 10 YEARS too late. THERE'S YOUR HUMAN DESTRUCTION! 

I know of a guy who was at the hearings with the scientists who fought NOT to add it and they all were told they were worrying about nothing..TOO LATE.
I personally wrote the then Gov. of Calif. who passed my letter off before a 3rd attempt for an answer and he explained theywere eliminating it OVER TIME...He had the power directed from Al Gore to discontinue it by just saying the word but slllowwly started to remove it.

And that's why I say what I say..I see the hypocracy and talk about it with evidence.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/19/06 at 11:35 pm

Nuke plants by design belch nuclear wastes as a form off-gassing. These contribute to green-house warming and to cancers, birth defects, and genetic anomolies.

You misspelled "coal-fired generating stations".

The trace quantities of alpha-emitters present in every pound of coal are blown straight out the smokestack and into the environment. Multiplied by the millions of tons of coal we burn, a coal plant dumps out more radioactive waste per year than any nuke plant ever will.  Furthermore, CO2 is a greenhouse gas. 

Nuclear plants give off fewer radioactive emissions than coal plants.  Nothing that comes out of any nuclear power plant qualifies as a greenhouse gas. 

If you're thinking of tritium as the "off-gassing" gas in question, you're wrong.  Tritium is nasty stuff, and it's nasty enough that permissible tritium release levels are set extremely low. I wouldn't want to breathe it or drink T2O in place of H2O, but is not a greenhouse gas.  I'd  eat any fish out of any river near any nuclear plant in North America before I ate a fish that came from downstream of a chemical plant.

The solution to waste storage is reprocessing.  When you bury a spent fuel rod in the ground, you're burying 95% of the usable energy that rod had.  In so doing, you're burying something full of elements whose half-lives are measured in millennia, not decades. Reprocessing comes with its own series of problems, but assuming the survival of western civilization, the crap we end up shoveling under Yucca Mountain will probably be dug up within 100 years for use as an energy source.  They'll be wondering why we ever buried it in the first place.  But they'll be happy we did.

Written By: saver on 06/19/06 at 11:41 pm

Thanks foo for your insight..those complaining of radiation from the trucks driving by their houses to dispose the waste may be surprised to find they eat uranium everyday that may be more than any chemicals they'd get from a drive by..and they also get more radiation by SLEEPING next to their mates every time they do! ???

Written By: annonymouse on 07/19/06 at 9:16 pm

Gore was part of the cabinet that REFUSED the nuclear power proposals during the Clinton years so now we're 8-10 years behind improving the issue.

And here he is waving his movie on 'oh look at this global warming we're in danger!" BULLY to you Mr. Gore..you had the power to do something about it YEARS ago AND DIDN'T/WOULDN'T.

Yes, I acknowledge global warming but go to the science community and see what is happening.
How many of the people he quotes and points to are RECEIVING MONEY from some organization that they support to back up all the drivel Gore puts out.

I am aware of 10,000 scientists that AREN'T on a list to benefit from giving their views and they have a different story to tell.

oh, i see.  so you'd rather hold a grudge against mr.gore and let the glaciers melt than support a program bent on saving the world from disaster?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/20/06 at 7:16 pm

Just found out the ideal temporary solution to Global Warming. But it will take about 4 to 5 months to implement.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/06 at 11:03 pm

Yeah, I saw Glenn Beck and Sen. James Inhofe today talking about matters concerning Al Gore's movie and global warming. They used the old right-wing forumla: If the truth isn't on your side...lie!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/06 at 2:22 pm

This is NOT a political issue-it is a human issue and EVERYONE should be concerned with it. Unfortunately, the people in Washington make it a political issue. If they didn't, then we would start moving away from fossil fuel. There would be more investment in renewables (wind, hydro and solar power) plus give incentives for auto makers to create cars that run on renewable fuel. But since Dubya has made his $$$$ in oil, he is not going to shoot his own wallet-even if it is the right thing to do. So yeah, it is politics that stops the U.S. from doing something about-which hurts us all.

Cat

Written By: STAR70 on 07/22/06 at 3:27 pm

did you even bother to see the film?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/06 at 4:26 pm

^ Don't have to. Glenn Beck said it boring and made a Limbaugh-esque parody of it, then he invited Sen. Inhofe to say it's all crap. That's all I need to know!

Written By: saver on 07/24/06 at 2:43 am

Uh NO!!! Why see it..yes there is global warming...DID YOU SEE MICHAEL MOORES MOVIE THAT WAS LAUGHED AWAY??

Where is he holed up now?

I don't need to see it..we hear what it's about and what Gore wants to say Oh..NOW he has something to say when he wouldn't do something about it THEN..That doesn't fly with me...I refuse to see it...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/24/06 at 2:45 am

Uh NO!!! Why see it..yes there is global warming...DID YOU SEE MICHAEL MOORES MOVIE THAT WAS LAUGHED AWAY??

W

If you didn't see it, then why are you lambasting something you don't know anything about?

Written By: saver on 07/24/06 at 2:47 am

If you didn't see it, then why are you lambasting something you don't know anything about?

Because we know what a two face Gore is doing this!

All I know is what he did PRIOR to having to piece a movie together to make him  push hos 'I care why don't you' propaganda.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/06 at 11:24 am

I don't need to see it..we hear what it's about and what Gore wants to say Oh..NOW he has something to say when he wouldn't do something about it THEN..That doesn't fly with me...I refuse to see it...

Michael Moore presented a viable alternative to the fascist-toady line of the mainstream press and entertainment industry. He had to be discredited and so he was. Not with truth, but with more hate rhetoric from the wretched clowns of the pundit class. Just like with Bill Clinton, the pundits-in-service of the plutocracy told all the little white boys to hate Michael Moore, and like the Hitler Youth the white majority has become over the past 20 years, they started to bellow, "Yeah, we hate that Michael Moore, dumb, fat, stupid anti-American liar!"

Sen. Inhofe an other corporate propagandists are employing the same pundits-in-service of the plutocracy to destroy Al Gore's movie the way they destroyed Al Gore's Presidential campaign. The more positively you respond to the corporate punditry, the dumber you are.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/twak.gif

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 6:34 pm

His relevence was auctioned off on eBay following the 2004 presidential elections...

...without his knowledge.  Boy, was he pissed...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/06 at 9:13 pm

His relevence was auctioned off on eBay following the 2004 presidential elections...

...without his knowledge.  Boy, was he pissed...

Yeah, yeah, they all hate Michael Moore. Michael Moore is irrelevant and his movies are full of lies. Who says? Why, just every cornpone neo-nazi  pasty-faced clod on cable news, and every fratboy lout on morning drive-time, and every christofascist homespun theocrat enthralled to the Heritage Foundation, every neo-medieval bumpkin who takes his marching orders from Dr. Dobson, and every underhanded Republican security-state thug hard at work stealing elections and sabotaging the democratic process, and every fifth-column DLC loser-crat sucking the collective c()ck of the right-wing propagandists, and every slutty shrewish broad with a pretty face, a law degree, and an axe to grind with human rights, and every faux-intellectual backstabber who says, "I'm a liberal, but I don't like Michael Moore," and....you, if it is your wont to break bread with any of the above human-swine hybrids!
....Seems to me Michael Moore is discredited and despised by all the right folks, and I would lose faith in Michael Moore should he ever be embraced by any of them. If I must have enemies in this tired old world, let them be the same as Michael Moore's!
I only wish George Soros would start a film production company so Greg Palast can make movies too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/director2.gif

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 10:00 pm

I hope you're wearing yer drool-bib, ya damn moonbat..! :P :D

Always found it amusing how those that voted for George Bush, and believed in the Iraqi WMD charade, can call Michael Moore dishonest and ridicule him along people who like him...

Basically, anyone who speaks the truth these days is smeared by the right with their modern day McCarthyism.  Truth to them is dangerous, which is why they go to such means to attack, smear, and demonize anybody who speaks it...

However, while Mike might bring to light issues that need to be talked about, but I know Mike stretches the truth.  Mike employs hyperbole.  Mike manufactures situations that will play out on film to his advantage.  And, IMO, that's a ridiculous thing to do!  So much of what Mike is trying to bring to light are issues that we should be discussing,  but at the end of the day, he is so guilty of the media manipulation about which he flogs conservatives...

g.o... :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/06 at 10:54 pm

I hope you're wearing yer drool-bib, ya damn moonbat..! :P :D

My next stop...the Lobotomy Shop!
http://www.prisonwall.org/postcard/pictures/lobotomy.jpg

Always found it amusing how those that voted for George Bush, and believed in the Iraqi WMD charade, can call Michael Moore dishonest and ridicule him along people who like him...

Basically, anyone who speaks the truth these days is smeared by the right with their modern day McCarthyism.  Truth to them is dangerous, which is why they go to such means to attack, smear, and demonize anybody who speaks it...

However, while Mike might bring to light issues that need to be talked about, but I know Mike stretches the truth.  Mike employs hyperbole.  Mike manufactures situations that will play out on film to his advantage.  And, IMO, that's a ridiculous thing to do!  So much of what Mike is trying to bring to light are issues that we should be discussing,  but at the end of the day, he is so guilty of the media manipulation about which he flogs conservatives...

g.o... :)

That used to bug me about M. Moore, it doesn't any...more. Now it's like yelling at a kid for stealing a candy bar when they're raiding the Brinks truck across the street!

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/28/06 at 12:37 pm

I haven't seen the film, but I read his book.  Not once in it does he suggest that nukes are the answer to global warming, so he is being consistant with his earlier stand.  Some may disagree with it, thinking nukes could help.  I'm no scientist, but nukes do scare me.  The point of the book (and the film I guess) is that human induced clkimate change is real, and MUST be addressed if we are to live on this planet.  Just one of the many steps people can take is to trade in regular incandecent light bulbs for more efficient florescent ones.  Gore claims that if every house hold replaced just one bulb it would have the effect of taking 1 million cars off the road (and save on everyone's electric bill to boot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/06 at 4:22 pm

^ Welcome back, Don Carlos! Haven't seen you around in a while!

Have you ever tried to argue with a guy suffering from paranoid delusions? Doesn't get you anywhere. 
It occurs to me that we have psychotics in the Republican party who are steeped in sacriligious mania.  I believe the theory of "rapture" as defined by the the christofascists is both antinomian and sacriligious.  These money-crazed power-hounds chose a religion that is anathema to their beliefs and values. Instead of rejecting their old values and embracing the values of Christianity OR rejecting Christianity of Objectivism, which would comport with their values, they attempt to morph Christianity into something it can never be: A corporate theology in which every CEO is a pope.  The dominant political discourse is too insane to countenance with rational thought.  We must eradicate these madmen and their schizophrenic ideology from power.  If they won't let go willingly, we must force them.  However, you will not "win" a debate with a Dick Cheney, a James Inhofe, or a James Dobson. They are too entrenched in their lunacy.  Once we remove the christofascists from power, only then can we start a top down reform of the media.  People like Paula Zahn and Chris Matthews will say anything the corporations tell them to. That's not free speech.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/06 at 5:51 pm

Have you ever tried to argue with a guy suffering from paranoid delusions? Doesn't get you anywhere. 

Yeah, his name was Harmonica.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/06 at 8:30 pm

Cat

Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy. He sure knew how to throw a fit!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/redblob.gif

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/28/06 at 8:54 pm

Cat
You deserve 1000 applauses for making me shoot Diet Coke through my nose (oh well, until that's changed, 1 applause will have to do ;))

Written By: saver on 08/01/06 at 8:41 pm

See earlier comment and others who concur: Did Mr. Gore BOTHER to ask an independent group of scientists about the situation? There were many, many, who disagree with some findings depicted...take the movie for what it's worth, if you liked it fine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/06 at 9:08 pm

See earlier comment and others who concur: Did Mr. Gore BOTHER to ask an independent group of scientists about the situation? There were many, many, who disagree with some findings depicted...take the movie for what it's worth, if you liked it fine.

The only scientists who deny human-influenced global warming are paid by the petroleum industry (directly or inderectly).  The "debate" in the "scientific community" over "global warming" is an illusion the petroleum industry-influenced media creates.  The doubts cast are fodder for popular journalism, not scholarly discourse.

The meme the petroleum industry-influenced media has created is this:
A scientist who works for M.I.T. has a New Age, anti-people agenda.  A scientist who works for the Heritage Foundation is non-biased and independent.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/01/06 at 10:42 pm

Yeah, yeah, they all hate Michael Moore. Michael Moore is irrelevant and his movies are full of lies. Who says? Why, just every cornpone neo-nazi  pasty-faced clod on cable news, and every fratboy lout on morning drive-time, and every christofascist homespun theocrat enthralled to the Heritage Foundation, every neo-medieval bumpkin who takes his marching orders from Dr. Dobson, and every underhanded Republican security-state thug hard at work stealing elections and sabotaging the democratic process, and every fifth-column DLC loser-crat sucking the collective c()ck of the right-wing propagandists, and every slutty shrewish broad with a pretty face, a law degree, and an axe to grind with human rights, and every faux-intellectual backstabber who says, "I'm a liberal, but I don't like Michael Moore," and....you, if it is your wont to break bread with any of the above human-swine hybrids!
....Seems to me Michael Moore is discredited and despised by all the right folks, and I would lose faith in Michael Moore should he ever be embraced by any of them. If I must have enemies in this tired old world, let them be the same as Michael Moore's!
I only wish George Soros would start a film production company so Greg Palast can make movies too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/director2.gif

What are you talking about? His movies have lots of lies and half truths. It's not that hard to find that out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 1:34 pm

What are you talking about? His movies have lots of lies and half truths. It's not that hard to find that out.

We heard about them over and over and over again. Michael Moore's movies should be scrutinized with a critical eye, like all political media--except FOX News, The Washington Times, and Regnery publishing.  Whatever they issue, you must call the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, or you are a bad American!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...