» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Sylvia Browne: psychic or phony?

Written By: Meghan88 on 06/21/06 at 1:58 pm

I was watching the Montel show today and he had Sylvia Browne on as a guest and she's yapping on and on about spiritual guides and "the other side" etc. So she comes to this one lady that asks her how her husbands son died because he just suddenly passes away while reading a book in his school library. And Sylvia says "oooh it was an embolism." and the lady says "Oh my gosh, yeah" and just nods her head away like Sylvia is this all knowing being. Give me a break! Anybody knows that when someone dies that quickly that its probably due to an embolism, blood clot, aneurysm, etc. It doesnt take any psychic abilities!

I have a really hard time buying into her psychic ability and I feel really sorry for those that continue to buy into all of the bs that she says, and its even sadder that Montel happens to believe in her and help spread her fraud. I've heard countless stories that tell about all her lies and false predictions about 9/11, the sago mine disaster, etc...

does anybody believe that she's really a psychic? or even believe in psychic ability?

Subject: Re: Sylvia Browne: psychic or phony?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/06 at 4:40 pm

I was watching the Montel show today

If a person really had psychic abilities, she wouldn't be a guest on the Montel show!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/21/06 at 11:02 pm

Like all psychics, she's just good at cold reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Reading

There are very few things *other* than brain embolisms that will cause someone to drop dead in a library.  A good cold reader would immediately key on the sudden death of a young and healthy adult while not engaged in physical activity as either an embolism or anyeurism.  (and have plenty of wiggle room to say "Yes, I only sensed pressure, it happens so quickly the spirits don't always know where it's happening when they go" on the slim chance that the sort of person who believes in psychics would actually know the difference between the two :-)

Montel and his advertisers know his audience, and target it accordingly. 

Written By: saver on 06/22/06 at 2:55 am

I was watching the Montel show today and he had Sylvia Browne on as a guest and she's yapping on and on about spiritual guides and "the other side" etc. So she comes to this one lady that asks her how her husbands son died because he just suddenly passes away while reading a book in his school library. And Sylvia says "oooh it was an embolism." and the lady says "Oh my gosh, yeah" and just nods her head away like Sylvia is this all knowing being. Give me a break! Anybody knows that when someone dies that quickly that its probably due to an embolism, blood clot, aneurysm, etc. It doesnt take any psychic abilities!

I have a really hard time buying into her psychic ability and I feel really sorry for those that continue to buy into all of the bs that she says, and its even sadder that Montel happens to believe in her and help spread her fraud. I've heard countless stories that tell about all her lies and false predictions about 9/11, the sago mine disaster, etc...

does anybody believe that she's really a psychic? or even believe in psychic ability?

Someone SHOULD confront her on whatever show they find she will be appearing on next(she may list them on her web site)..it's ridiculous what people are paying her..if she is so good why doesn't EVERYONE immediately go to her when something stumps the authorities...? >:(

We're so good at confronting politicians on end...let's start a movement to give HER the same scrutiny!EVEN EMAIL HER FOR A RESPONSE STATING YOU FIND HER AS A FRAUD.
Or better yet start a movement and contact eh ENQUIRER to do a story on all the people she is misleading with your input.

Another wrong 'prediction'/reading...she sees Osama is dead..another 'remote viewer' says he sees Osama alive but hurt.

Someone is right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/06 at 7:27 am

Someone SHOULD confront her on whatever show they find she will be appearing on next(she may list them on her web site)..it's ridiculous what people are paying her..if she is so good why doesn't EVERYONE immediately go to her when something stumps the authorities...? >:(

We're so good at confronting politicians on end...let's start a movement to give HER the same scrutiny!EVEN EMAIL HER FOR A RESPONSE STATING YOU FIND HER AS A FRAUD.
Or better yet start a movement and contact eh ENQUIRER to do a story on all the people she is misleading with your input.

Another wrong 'prediction'/reading...she sees Osama is dead..another 'remote viewer' says he sees Osama alive but hurt.

Someone is right.

Well, it's all a matter of faith. She's as psychic as you think she is. Might as well email the Pope and tell him you find God a fraud!
;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/06 at 4:34 am

I haven't actively watched her much since c. 1997 when she first starting going on Montel, but I'm pretty open-minded about psychic ability and stuff like that in general. Although I'm sure it has its flaws just like anything else, where sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, I tend to believe stories on Unsolved Mysteries of police calling in a psychic to try and solve a stalled murder case, and it ends up successful. Outside the show segment, they're not really "famous" or anything.

Although, have you noticed whenever someone has supposedly foreseen a future event (i.e. 9/11) it's only released to the public after it already happened? :D Makes you wonder, doesn't it, LOL?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/06 at 8:23 am

I am skeptical about ESP (extrasensory perception). I believe it exists at the same time. One who is interested in supernatural phenomena is better served by skepticism than faith. If you are not skeptical about things like telekinesis, psychism, extraterrestrial visitations, ghosts, and cryptozoology, you end up wasting your time with frauds and phonies.
The pop culture for decades has sold psychism as "fortune-telling." It's just a mass media version of the carnival Gypsy mountebank with her incense and her crystal ball!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/merlin.gif

Written By: saver on 06/26/06 at 1:19 am

Well, it's all a matter of faith. She's as psychic as you think she is. Might as well email the Pope and tell him you find God a fraud!
;D

That statement DEFIES logic...The Pope acts on God's word and what He has laid forth and Sylvia is 'claimimg' whatever?? is giving her what she is saying but has been DISPROVEN by the mere acknowledgement of people who she claims to have read when it doesn't pan out. :-\\

Written By: Mushroom on 06/30/06 at 11:34 pm

I find all forms of "psychic ability" to be frauds.  There is no scientific basis for any of them, and in double blind studies and studies under controlled conditions, they all flunk.

And that goes for dousing, mind reading, telekinetics, psychic surgery, precognition, and everything else that falls under "parapsychology".

James Randi, or "The Amazing Randi" has taken over for Harry Houdini, and has dedicated the last 35 years to showing how these fakers do it.  He has busted everybody from Uri Geller (the guy in the 70's that claimed he could bend spoons with his mind) to Peter Popoff (faith healer) and Sylvia Browne.

In 2001, Sylvia Browne agreed to take James Randi's "Million Dollar Challenge".  Despite agreeing on a live broadcast of The Larry King Show, she has refused to ever actually take the test.  In fact, since he started his challenge in 1972, he has not had to pay a single penny.  You would think that after this long, at least one person would have collected if psychic powers really did exist.

Check for new replies or respond here...