» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is Kidnapping a form of rape?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/18/06 at 10:39 pm

Is the act of kidnapping in itself a form of mental rape? Even if nothing is done to the kids besides being taken away, it's a traumatic event they'd never completely get over.

Subject: Re: Is Kidnapping a form of rape?

Written By: annonymouse on 07/18/06 at 10:45 pm

Morphine, he's not saying they deserved to be raped, he's saying they should have been more careful. A kid who runs away and gets kidnapped didn't deserve to be kidnapped, but they should have been more careful. -donnie darko

is that what gave you the idea for this subject?
and yes it is traumatic but i wouldn't call it a form of rape

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/18/06 at 10:46 pm

Is the act of kidnapping in itself a form of mental rape? Even if nothing is done to the kids besides being taken away, it's a traumatic event they'd never completely get over.

Main Entry: 3rape
Function: noun
1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force
2 : unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will usually of a female or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent -- compare SEXUAL ASSAULT, STATUTORY RAPE
3 : an outrageous violation

Read into it how you will.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/18/06 at 10:48 pm

1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force
3 : an outrageous violation

Read into it how you will.

Those two sound similar to what kidnapping would be considered.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/18/06 at 10:51 pm

Those two sound similar to what kidnapping would be considered.

Legally speaking, they aren't the same.  If you kidnap someone, you aren't also charged with rape unless a rape occured.  Of course, rape in the furtherance of a kidnapping is a capital offense.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/18/06 at 10:53 pm

Legally speaking, they aren't the same.  If you kidnap someone, you aren't also charged with rape unless a rape occured.  Of course, rape in the furtherance of a kidnapping is a capital offense.

Right, but Donnie's question was not that it IS a rape, but if it's a form of rape...the semantics can be skewed to match the two, especially given the definitions that you listed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/18/06 at 10:53 pm

Rape can mean two things, I'd say:

Broad rape - Any sort of traumatic violation (severe beating, sexual assault, kidnapping, alien abduction)
Specific rape - Forcing somebody to "go all the way" (lesser degrees being molestation/groping or sexual assault)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/18/06 at 10:55 pm

Right, but Donnie's question was not that it IS a rape, but if it's a form of rape...the semantics can be skewed to match the two, especially given the definitions that you listed.

I was agreeing with his opinion.  I was just stating that while it is logical using those definitions to apply it to kidnapping, legally speaking it is not. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/18/06 at 10:56 pm

I was agreeing with his opinion.  I was just stating that while it is logical using those definitions to apply it to kidnapping, legally speaking it is not. 

Mmmkay.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/18/06 at 10:57 pm

I agree. Legally rape is forceful penetration. The dictionary definition can be more broad and include things from kidnapping to killing someone's parents to stealing jewels to being abducted by aliens.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/18/06 at 11:08 pm

Of course, rape in the furtherance of a kidnapping is a capital offense.

Uh, no. :

http://www.capdefnet.org/fdprc/contents/fed_cap_off/fed_cap_right_frame.htm

Rape/murder and kidnap/murder are capital offenses; rape/kidnap is just a sh*tload of prison time (though it should be a capital offense).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/18/06 at 11:08 pm

Uh, no. :

http://www.capdefnet.org/fdprc/contents/fed_cap_off/fed_cap_right_frame.htm

Rape/murder and kidnap/murder are capital offenses; rape/kidnap is just a sh*tload of prison time (though it should be a capital offense).

Hmmm, I must have misread.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/06 at 12:00 am

Figuratively perhaps. Not literally. Literal rape is often a component of kidnapping, but kidnapping in itself is not rape.  There has been too much hysteria and collegiate sexual politics tied in with the concept of "rape" over the past twenty years. Rape is one of the most terrible crimes perpetrated on a person. I would like to see less figurative emotionalism and sexual politics connected with it.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/19/06 at 9:28 am

Figuratively perhaps. Not literally. Literal rape is often a component of kidnapping, but kidnapping in itself is not rape.  There has been too much hysteria and collegiate sexual politics tied in with the concept of "rape" over the past twenty years. Rape is one of the most terrible crimes perpetrated on a person. I would like to see less figurative emotionalism and sexual politics connected with it.

Kudos.  I completely agree.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 9:36 am

You could argue any action where you somehow violate a person's personal space is 'rape' in a sense...any situation where you force them to do something which is against their nature, or imprison them.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/19/06 at 9:42 am

You could argue any action where you somehow violate a person's personal space is 'rape' in a sense...any situation where you force them to do something which is against their nature, or imprison them.

You could argue that, but I wish people wouldn't.  It's hard enough to define or prove sexual rape without broadening the definition in that way. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 9:47 am

You could argue that, but I wish people wouldn't.  It's hard enough to define or prove sexual rape without broadening the definition in that way. 

Yeah, for any practical means you should restrict the definition of rape to pretty clearly-defined boundaries.

Check for new replies or respond here...