» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: American Evacuees in Lebanon B*tching and Moaning..

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/06 at 4:04 pm

OK, so 25,000 people who happen to be American citizens ignored State Department advisories to star out of Beruit and now the stuff has hit the fan.

When they finally get evacuated...  (Not all of course, just some loudmouthed ingrates)

-They complain that it took too long
-They complain that they have to pay for it
-They complain that the cruise ship did not have enough food (for an 8 hour trip to Cyprus)

There was one guy who complained that he had to live out on the streets of Beiruit because it was too dangerous to stay at his mother's hour near the airport.  When asked where his mother was he indicated "at home".

I am getting tired of ingrates and gadflys who ignore government warnings and get themselves into these jams, then complain constantly why Mother Government will not swoop in and pull them out of the pile of cr@p that they built.

Subject: Re: American Evacuees in Lebanon B*tching and Moaning..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/06 at 5:38 pm

OK, so 25,000 people who happen to be American citizens ignored State Department advisories to star out of Beruit and now the stuff has hit the fan.

When they finally get evacuated...  (Not all of course, just some loudmouthed ingrates)

-They complain that it took too long
-They complain that they have to pay for it
-They complain that the cruise ship did not have enough food (for an 8 hour trip to Cyprus)

There was one guy who complained that he had to live out on the streets of Beiruit because it was too dangerous to stay at his mother's hour near the airport.  When asked where his mother was he indicated "at home".

I am getting tired of ingrates and gadflys who ignore government warnings and get themselves into these jams, then complain constantly why Mother Government will not swoop in and pull them out of the pile of cr@p that they built.

http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/images/shows/5.jpg

Written By: Davester on 07/20/06 at 6:03 pm

Yeah, but how many of these are Lebanese/Americans..?

Would that make a difference..?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/06 at 6:15 pm

Yeah, but how many of these are Lebanese/Americans..?

Would that make a difference..?

Why would that make any difference?  The American government warned these people to avoid Lebanon (perhaps because since 1975 it has either been at Civil War, military occupation  or largely ruled by unsavory violent elements.)

Whether they were Lebanese Americans or Americans of Irish descent from Chicago who wanted to check out the beaches of Beiruit, they went to a place known for danger and then whined when Mother Government would not send in paratroopers to get them.

Hey ti is their choice to go over there, I don't fault that.  There are probably some nice things to see in Lebanon.  But if you take the risk you assume the risk.

Same applies to journalists like who get into war zones and get kidnapped and people want the Govt to bail 'em out.  Why?  They went to dangerous places, NOT in the service of government, overseas beyond our jurisdiction.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/06 at 6:16 pm

http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/images/shows/5.jpg

Interesting that you post the picture of Archie Bunker.  They guy who always felt the world owed him something.  Just like the whining travellers in lebanon.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/20/06 at 6:17 pm

Interesting that you post the picture of Archie Bunker.  They guy who always felt the world owed him something.  Just like the whining travellers in lebanon.

I think he was equating you to Archie Bunker.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/06 at 8:15 pm

If LB was an American getting evacuated from Lebanon, he'd be b*tching and moaning...about the crummy waitstaff on the cruise ship!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

I'm not equating LB to Archie Bunker. I posted the picture because what he said reminded me of Archie's bone-ignorant griping about current events. Thing is, working class guys were getting the shaft even in the 1970s, when a dock worker could afford a house in Queens. By his own admission, LB is not working class. I find it amusing how high-income individuals rant and rave about the "government" helping anybody, when the higher your income is the more this government goes out of its way to help you!

Now, I've never known LB for touchy-feely compassion, but his callous attitude on this matter took me aback. It reminds me of all the a-holes who were ranking on Hurricane Katrina victims last year.

Written By: Davester on 07/20/06 at 10:21 pm

Why would that make any difference?  The American government warned these people to avoid Lebanon (perhaps because since 1975 it has either been at Civil War, military occupation  or largely ruled by unsavory violent elements.)

I'm sure, even without having traveled there it's not won't be the most pleasant place to reside.  However, Lebanon has been described as once being a wonderful place to live...

It would make a difference to the Lebanese-Americans, Lebanese-British, Lebanese-South African, Lebanese-Dutch, Lebanese-Russian, Lebanese-Canadian who have sons, daughters, parents and/or other family members currently residing within Lebanon...

And to the bitching and moaning...

Expected, nay, understandable under the circumstances, IMO.  Heck, if I were fleeing for my life I'd probably carry on like a raving lunatic...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/06 at 10:43 pm

I'm sure, even without having traveled there it's not won't be the most pleasant place to reside.  However, Lebanon has been described as once being a wonderful place to live...

It would make a difference to the Lebanese-Americans, Lebanese-British, Lebanese-South African, Lebanese-Dutch, Lebanese-Russian, Lebanese-Canadian who have sons, daughters, parents and/or other family members currently residing within Lebanon...

And to the bitching and moaning...

Expected, nay, understandable under the circumstances, IMO.  Heck, if I were fleeing for my life I'd probably carry on like a raving lunatic...

Damn right you would, so would I. The reason I was so irritated with LB is I don't like people who kick I guy when he's down!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/06 at 5:49 am

If LB was an American getting evacuated from Lebanon, he'd be b*tching and moaning...about the crummy waitstaff on the cruise ship!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

I'm not equating LB to Archie Bunker. I posted the picture because what he said reminded me of Archie's bone-ignorant griping about current events. Thing is, working class guys were getting the shaft even in the 1970s, when a dock worker could afford a house in Queens. By his own admission, LB is not working class. I find it amusing how high-income individuals rant and rave about the "government" helping anybody, when the higher your income is the more this government goes out of its way to help you!

Now, I've never known LB for touchy-feely compassion, but his callous attitude on this matter took me aback. It reminds me of all the a-holes who were ranking on Hurricane Katrina victims last year.

Where in my post did I complain about the govenrment helping?  The thread was about those who the government rescued COMPLAINING ABOUT THE HELP and expecting it like some sort of God-given right.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/06 at 11:23 am

Actually, a large number of Americans who live in Lebanon are not of any form of Arabic descent at all.

In fact, over 7,000 of them are attending the "American University of Beirut".  This is a learning academy that was founded in 1866, and has been teaching Americans and others for over 100 years.

And if you are wondering why so many Americans go to Beirut for school, the answer is simple:  Medical School.  It is not unusual for Americans who want to become Doctors to go overseas, where either the tuition is lower, or admission standards are easier.  That is why in 1983 we got involved in this little incident in Grenada.  The main places hit during that operation was the University (with several thousand American medical students), and the Airport, where they were flown out of.

And myself, I am also somewhat irritated when people bitch and moan when they are not being evacuated fast enough.  It does not take a brain surgeon to realize that if you decide to live in Lebanon, that violence may break out at any time.  In fact, Beirut is so dangerous that it has been a closed campus for over 10 years.  From what I have read, it is somewhat like going to college in a prison.  But if you have low MCAT scores, I guess it is better then not going to Med school at all.

Although I did get the see the USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 on TV today.  I was on that ship for fleet operations in 1987, and have to admit it was my happiest ship-board memory.  They should feel lucky, if this had happened 10 years ago, they would have gotten stuck with really old tubs like the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2.  That ship dates back to 1960, and was commonly used to recover the Apollo astronauts.  I was on that ship in 1989, and it really sucked.

In many ways, the "Ugly American" really does still exist.  They expect to be able to go to anyplace in the world, and be totally taken care of.  If things get dangerous, they either bitch cause the Government did not take care of them, or did not pamper them enough during the evacuation.  We had better prepare the next time, so when they ignore State Department warnings, we can pull them out on privately chartered yachts, with Caviar and Sparkling Wine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/06 at 6:17 pm

Where in my post did I complain about the govenrment helping?  The thread was about those who the government rescued COMPLAINING ABOUT THE HELP and expecting it like some sort of God-given right.

And you're complaining about other people complaining. Swell.

The only way it isn't a God-given right is if Newt Gingrich is God.

Although I did get the see the USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 on TV today.  I was on that ship for fleet operations in 1987, and have to admit it was my happiest ship-board memory.  They should feel lucky, if this had happened 10 years ago, they would have gotten stuck with really old tubs like the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2.  That ship dates back to 1960, and was commonly used to recover the Apollo astronauts.  I was on that ship in 1989, and it really sucked.

LSD-41? How about some LSD-25!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/21/06 at 11:16 pm

I think it is a right.  I don't see anything unsensible in helping out our own, and how can you really say whether or not they have a right to complain when you're not going through what they are?  Its real easy to sit at a keyboard and say things like that, but you don't REALLY know how you'd handle a situation like that. 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/28/06 at 4:52 am

And you're complaining about other people complaining. Swell.

The only way it isn't a God-given right is if Newt Gingrich is God.

LSD-41? How about some LSD-25!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

oh oh, FLASHBACK.....felt goooood

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/06 at 9:01 am

Of course, we now have a group of people who are sueing the US Government for failing to protect them in Lebanon.

Named as defendents in the lawsuit are Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.  They are charged with failing to sufficiently protect American Citizens in Lebanon, and not evacuating them quickly enough when fighting broke out.

I am sure that the lawsuit will say nothing about the fact that Lebanon has long been under a State Department advisory that strongly recommended that American's not go into Lebanon in the first place.

To me, this is like somebody sueing you for going onto your property and being bit by your dog, even though you had "No Tresspassing" and "Beware of Dog" signs all over the place, then you telling them to get away because the dog was dangerous.

Some people simply like to be stupid ostriches.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060724/NEWS12/607240412/-1/BUSINESS07

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/06 at 8:49 pm

oh oh, FLASHBACK.....felt goooood

They warned us about those FLASHBACKS.  You could be driving down the freeway 20 years after you acid trip, when all of a sudden ALL YOU SEE IS A BLUR OF MELTING COLORS and you smash right into a fuel trick and you and your family get instantly carbonized in the conflageration! Aiiieeee!!!!
They even had a photo from inside the car and all you can see is a sort of Kaninsky painting covering the windshield!

On the other hand, you could just remember grooving to a spiritual oneness with the universe as you sat in your hippie friend's living room with the oriental rugs and the mellow lava lamps, and the incense, and the Indian ragas playing....

Hey, don't let those dope fiends trick you! That stuff makes you go crazy, you'll stare at the sun until your eyeballs burn out!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...