» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ENOUGH with that war coverage in the Mid East!

Written By: saver on 07/24/06 at 2:53 am

I agree (anti Sean Hannity's feelings)...let them fight it out between themselves!

They were so close to a deal,Israel pulling their OWN people out of their homes and a close agreement and WHO starts kidnapping to thwart the process...hmmm??

They have been at it for nearly 56 years and they came so close..it will keep up until they anihilate those who are attacking to disrupt it all.

No more with them and 'look at the poor citizens hurt'.. they both have them  and we know the history of all this many times over.

Next story.....    will Brittany make a comeback? Where's Suri? Only enquiring minds want to know... :D

Subject: Re: ENOUGH with that war coverage in the Mid East!

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 4:11 am

One night, in 1991, on my way home from work I stopped at a local convenience store and picked up a couple of stingers and a bottle of Smirnoff.  When I arrived home I sent out for Chinese food.  I then sat up half the night (most of it, actually) watching Desert Storm on TV.  I missed work the next day...

Untrue, actually.  I just made that up...

That the war coverage is presented as a channel-surfing option merely includes it on a plate filled from having too much on the menu...

When the nervous system is systematically exposed to excessive amounts of electricity and radiation from outside sources vs. from within, the frayed endings (over a period of time) become the worn doormat of complacency instead of a pineapple welcome on a broom cushion...

groove on... :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/06 at 11:15 am

Give me one reason anybody should care what Sean Hannity thinks or what anybody on that Karl Rove mouth-piece of a network, FOX News thinks. Actually, don't. There are no good reasons. FOX and Rush alone have lowered the intelligence quotient of the American people by 10 points.

The New York Times and Dan Rather are portrayed as the liberal opponents of FOX and the Washington Times. They are not. All mainstream media is pulled by the same corporate strings like puppets in a Punch-and-Judy show.

Like John Kerry in politics, Dan Rather in media knew he would be destroyed if he talked to the American people about real issues. It doesn't matter. Dan Rather kow-towed to the Republican crime syndicate and John Kerry ran an imperialist, pro-security state Presidential campaign. Both men were libelled, lynched, and destroyed by the fascists they tried so hard to placate. Both men afterward behaved like Winston Smith at the end of 1984--utterly cowed and defeated.

What has this got to do with the war coverage in the Middle East? Everything. The reason the coverage in the mainstream media is so dull is the conclusion is predetermined. Israel good, the others bad. A journalist may criticize Israel's tactics just a little, but if he or she concludes Israel is fundamentally in the wrong, no career advancement for that journalist.

This is what you get for calling the media "liberal" and supporting the fascist Bush administration: the death of free speech by sheer monotony.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/25/06 at 2:02 pm

What has this got to do with the war coverage in the Middle East? Everything. The reason the coverage in the mainstream media is so dull is the conclusion is predetermined. Israel good, the others bad. A journalist may criticize Israel's tactics just a little, but if he or she concludes Israel is fundamentally in the wrong, no career advancement for that journalist.

Uhhhh, how about that is simply "common sense"?  When you look at somebody who is constantly sending letter bombs to people, do you feel sympathy for the sender, simply because somewhere in his damaged psyche he "feels" he has a justifiable reason for doing it?

I do not remember to many people being sympathetic to the Unabomber, nor for Charlie Manson or David Berokwitz.  Why?  Well, maybe because they all killed many people to satisfy some kind of demented internal justification.  But trying to protray them as "victems" and "justified" for the death they caused would simply not go well.

And in this latest round of fighting, it is not hard to see who threw the first blows.  OK, so Hezbollah feels they are justified because of over 50 years of Israel existing, because the entire world should know it is an illegitimate nation.  And everybody knows that the prisoners being held in Israeli jails are "Freedom Fighters" who are being held illegally be an illigitimate government as "political prisoners".  Yea, yea, yea, and the US jails are full of innocent people and I have some prime real estate in Florida I want to sell you.

Almost every media outlet world wide has seen that Hezbollah started this round of fighting.  Just as they see that both Hezbollah and Lebanon were not upholding their end of the agreement in the last UN Cease Fire agreement.  And as the UN sat on it's collective backside and did nothing about this, they just up and decided to start yet another fight with Israel.

And tell me, now why in the frack should I feel any sympathy for Hezbollah?  And on the new this morning, I saw a wonderful sight.  It seems that the Israeli has been having a problem getting by a mountaintop because Hezbollah fighters are fighting from within the Mosque on the top.  I even got to see the news film, with a heavy machinegun firing from the minarette.

Of course, I do not expect Hezbollah to honor the Geneva Convention.  It states in clear black and white the it is forbidden to fight from hospitals and religious shrines, just like it is illegal to target them.

Written By: Davester on 07/25/06 at 8:28 pm

This is what you get for calling the media "liberal" and supporting the fascist Bush administration: the death of free speech by sheer monotony.

There is obviously a Jewish bias in the media, this is obvious in what we see on TV, read in News papers and Magazines. This however is a mere distraction to the real propaganda machine. There is no Jewish plot, IMO.  Most Jews are merely ordinary citizens as are most white Christians, but the social elite is a Judeo-Christian elite and has been for more than 3 centuries....

If you want a good read on the media propaganda machine I recommend Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky...

Covering Islam: How the Media and the Experts Determine How We See the Rest of the World

A friend at work, actually, has this book and I'm in the midst of an attempt to borrow it from him (or swipe it while he's not looking... :P)

From the Iranian hostage crisis through the Gulf War and the bombing of the World Trade Center, the American news media have portrayed "Islam" as a monolithic entity, synonymous with terrorism and religious hysteria.  In this work linked above (now updated, I see...) the author of Culture and Imperialism reveals the hidden agendas and distortions of fact that underlie even the most "objective" coverage of the Islamic world...

g.o... :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/06 at 9:41 pm

Uhhhh, how about that is simply "common sense"?  When you look at somebody who is constantly sending letter bombs to people, do you feel sympathy for the sender, simply because somewhere in his damaged psyche he "feels" he has a justifiable reason for doing it?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

I do not remember to many people being sympathetic to the Unabomber, nor for Charlie Manson or David Berokwitz.  Why?  Well, maybe because they all killed many people to satisfy some kind of demented internal justification.  But trying to protray them as "victems" and "justified" for the death they caused would simply not go well.
I am sympathetic to all of them. Each one is a victim as a well as a villain. They are pitiful souls in need of healing.  They're also dangerous individuals who killed people and harmed many more. Manson, Berkowitz, and Kaczynski should remain incarcerated for the rest of their lives.

And in this latest round of fighting, it is not hard to see who threw the first blows.  OK, so Hezbollah feels they are justified because of over 50 years of Israel existing, because the entire world should know it is an illegitimate nation.  And everybody knows that the prisoners being held in Israeli jails are "Freedom Fighters" who are being held illegally be an illigitimate government as "political prisoners".  Yea, yea, yea, and the US jails are full of innocent people and I have some prime real estate in Florida I want to sell you.
You know who Hezbollah hurts more than anybody? The Lebanese.

Furthermore, Israel is committing warcrimes by the deliberate and wanton targeting of civilians. Israel's behavior in this war is not more justifiable than Hezbollah's. Not anymore. Hezbollah killed three Israeli soldiers and took two others hostage...and for that Israel punishes the entire population of Lebanon and puts Israeli citizens in even greater jeopardy than before! People cite "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" from from Exodus 21:23-27 (earlier source, Hammurabi's Code) as a Biblical mandate for revenge. This is a misinterpretation. The mandate was for punishment fitting the crime. It was not, "You knock my tooth out, I get to kill you and your entire family!" Well, that's exactly how the state of Israel is behaving!  What is it, dear Israel, Star of David, or Nazi Swastika? Never forget how easily we can become what we most despise!
(I would love to ask this of Alan Dershowitz on his high horse, but he'd just call me an anti-semite and ride on!)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 07/26/06 at 9:44 am

And what about UN Security Council Resolution 1559?

THis was signed in 2004, and had several mandates and conditions.  Among them were:

Israel pull out of Lebanon and remove settlers from disputed areas
Israel give "assistance" in rebuilding infrastructure damaged in the conflict
Israel refer all border incursions to the UN

And here is what Lebanon was supposed to do:

Disband all regional and religious militias from Southern Lebanon
Set up a strong border presence with their own military, and prevent all incursions from their country into Israel
Disband and disarm all foreign fighters
Remove all Syrian and Syrian backed fighters, and close the border between Syria and Lebanon to prevent them from re-entering

Hmmmm, now who followed the terms of this agreement, and who did not?  Israel pulled back.  Israel paid millions of dollars to Palestinian companies to go into Lebanon and rebuild infrastructure (they knew better then to try and repair it themselves).  In the last 2 years Israel has petitioned the UN many times to have the cease fire violations enforced, and nothing was done.

Meanwhile, the Lebanese Army was nearly invisible on the border.  Hezbnollah did not disarm, nor did they move away from the border.  UN Observers watched repeated violations and did nothing.  In fact, there have been some charges that they may have actually assisted in some cases.  The border between Syria and Lebanon is still wide open, and Lebanon is doing nothing to close it.  The inflow of Syrian made missils is proof of that.

Yet you have people who want to see Israel brought up in the Security Council for violating the terms of the cease fire?

Why don't we instead see an enforcement of UN Security Council Resolution 1559?

The UN is impotant, and it not worth bothering with anymore.  They are unable (or unwilling) to enforce their own demands, and simply sit back and whine when somebody ignores them.

Check for new replies or respond here...