» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cheney to step down after mid-terms?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/06 at 12:36 am

Forgive me it's a rather old link but I just found it:

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/cheney3.htm

Seems there's a rift growing between the prez and the veep, and this added in with the fact that Cheney is seen as an increasing political liability for Bush, may cause him to retire from the Vice-Presidency somtime in early 2007(after the mid-term elections later this year). Anybody think he will? And if he does will anything really change?

Subject: Re: Cheney to step down after mid-terms?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/06 at 12:55 am

It couldn't be soon enough!  Don Rumsfeld is the one who should have been fired after all that gobbledy-gook he threw at Congress this week.  He sounds like a 15-year-old trying to BS his parents about a bad report card.
"That's enough outta you, young man, you're grounded!"
And that's the tact congress should have taken.  But nooooooo!
::)

Written By: Davester on 08/04/06 at 3:22 am

If Bush's numbers get low as 20% close to Nov. 06, that's when they'll throw Cheney overboard.  Being part of the current administration could well become an insurmountable handicap (read: sacrificial lamb...)

Spiro Agnew all over again...::) groove ;) on...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/06 at 12:23 pm

If that were only true. It would be the second best thing that could happen to this country (you can all guess what the first best thing would be). Of course we know how the Administration would NOT do anything that would actually be GOOD for the country.

However, I did a short bit of research on the subject and couldn't find anything to substantiate the rumor-and it is just that-a RUMOR.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/06 at 3:05 pm

Cheney does not step down.  If he resigned the post of Vice President, he would do so to operate from the shadows from a greater position of unaccountable power.  It would not be "stepping down."

Written By: Davester on 08/04/06 at 3:21 pm

Cheney does not step down.  If he resigned the post of Vice President, he would do so to operate from the shadows from a greater position of unaccountable power.  It would not be "stepping down."

In the event the veep steps down, dies, &etc. who, according to the Constitution, steps into the position..?  Sec of State..? go ;)...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/06 at 4:10 pm

In the event the veep steps down, dies, &etc. who, according to the Constitution, steps into the position..?  Sec of State..?

If the veep were to resign, the administration would pick a new veep who'd have to be confirmed by the senate. Or at least I think that's the way it works.

Also, in a way, it would be really good for the republicans if Cheney steped down next year, because,since Cheney's made it clear he wont run for prez in 2008, it would give the repub's a clear front-runner for the nomination. But to be honest though, I really dont think Cheney's resignation would help Bush's approval numbers that much :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/06 at 4:36 pm

If the veep were to resign, the administration would pick a new veep who'd have to be confirmed by the senate. Or at least I think that's the way it works.

Also, in a way, it would be really good for the republicans if Cheney steped down next year, because,since Cheney's made it clear he wont run for prez in 2008, it would give the repub's a clear front-runner for the nomination. But to be honest though, I really dont think Cheney's resignation would help Bush's approval numbers that much :-\\

Maybe Cheney plans on becoming president without running! Heh Heh!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/06 at 4:41 pm

Maybe Cheney plans on becoming president without running! Heh Heh!

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/06 at 3:54 pm

;D

It would be funny if I wasn't more than a little concerned it might come to pass!

:o

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/07/06 at 11:25 am

I don't think it would make much difference.  Does anyone really CARE who the veep is anyway?  Not that I ever see it happening ::)

Written By: Ebontyne on 08/07/06 at 3:00 pm

If Cheney does resign (or dies in office), then I suppose his replacement as VP would be the most likely Republican nominee in '08. Who do you think it would be? Condoleezza Rice?

Mind you, I don't think it's very likely. From what I've seen, Bush seems to have his little coterie of friends and he almost never lets them drop... even when they are a liability.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/06 at 10:36 pm

I remember Cheney as this gray-suited political political hack who was DefSec the Daddy Bush administration.  He was like Cap Weinberger, had about as much charisma as a tunafish sandwich.  Wouldn't have guessed he'd turn out to be the Prince of Darkness!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lsvader.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...