» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION simply put

Written By: saver on 08/12/06 at 6:36 pm

Housebreaker

It explains things better than all the balderdash you hear on TV.

"Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country
protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of
illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might
protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this
country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I
correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me
in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I made all the
beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors;

I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and

honest (except for when I broke into your house)."

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must
add me to your family's insurance plan and provide other benefits to
me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because
he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who

will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do,
and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest. um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing
only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can
do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being anti-housebreaker.

Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America

Subject: Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION simply put

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/06 at 9:35 pm

You know what I like about your post?  You used the word "balderdash"!
:P

Written By: Red Ant on 08/12/06 at 11:57 pm

Housebreaker

It explains things better than all the balderdash you hear on TV.

"Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country
protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of
illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might
protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this
country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I
correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me
in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I made all the
beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors;

I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and

honest (except for when I broke into your house)."

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must
add me to your family's insurance plan and provide other benefits to
me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because
he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who

will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do,
and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest. um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing
only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can
do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being anti-housebreaker.

Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America

Even though your analogy is somewhat erroneous, I found it amusing so I gave you a karma point.

I think the biggest flaw is that my house in not the entire USA.

Everyone wants insurance and benefits, not just illegals or immigrants. I have no problem with those who are willing to work for their "keep"; the only thing that ticks me off is able-bodied people who leech off of the system because they are too lazy to work, or know how to exploit loopholes. Those people aren't (around here anyway) immigrants.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/13/06 at 1:15 pm

I got a couple of things to say that I'll most likely be told I'm wrong about, but whatever I guess.

I think that by saying everyone can speak whatever language they want to is also saying that you believe strongly in segregation and keeping us seperated as a nation.  By everyone speaking the same language in a country in my opinion anyone, is a good way of building trust within eachother and brother/sisterhood that this country doesn't need less of but more of.  If this guy speaks french, this girl speaks Spanish, this guy speaks Pakastanian, this girl speaks English, put them in a room together, no friendships will develope.  Many liberals in the United States like to claim that we're the only country arrogant enough to think that we need to know only one language.  Well let me ask them and those of you with them how much the United States relies heavily on foreign tourist?  Last time I checked the majority of big money spenders in the United States bleed Red white and blue, they were born here.  Last time I checked Cancoon, Mexico relies on close to 100% of all earnings from American/European tourist.  It's essential for them to know another language, it's practically how they survive.  I have nothing against learning foreign languages for academic and recreational reasons. However I'm against having to learn Spanish and French and whatnot just so I can go out in public and say excuse me to a gentleman or lady as I pass them by in a crowd.  I don't make the decisions that effect me and the rest of this nation, but I do have a right to say how I feel about it.  All I know is that in 50 years from now I'll feel a lot better seeing white kids and Spanish kids playing football or soccer outside together, than I will seeing them play seperate.  You allow the white kids to speak English and the Spanish kids to speak Spanish, together is a word our vocabulary might as well demolish.

Now for my feelings on illegal immigration.  One of my good friends who lives in Oklahoma not far from me is an illegal immigrant from Cuba.  Under no circumstances would I ever, and I mean ever do anything to make him go back to that God awful country. He and his son have lived in the United States for a long time and I know the exact reasons why he came over here and know that they were all for the positive. 
However, I truly think that case by case analysis is the way to go about this.  Fair? I think it is, maybe not though.  I just don't agree with kicking a man out of the United States who's trying to feed his starving wife and kids back home and then also kicking a man out of the United States because he's selling drugs and calling it the same thing.  I know that, that would never happen and all of them either need to be kicked out or allowed in.  However I have a heart for those who work there asses off trying to be good men and I'd personally boot a drug dealer back into Mexico without a second thoughts hesitation.

Written By: saver on 08/13/06 at 3:51 pm

I think the biggest flaw is that my house in not the entire USA.

Everyone wants insurance and benefits, not just illegals or immigrants. I have no problem with those who are willing to work for their "keep"; the only thing that ticks me off is able-bodied people who leech off of the system because they are too lazy to work, or know how to exploit loopholes. Those people aren't (around here anyway) immigrants.

You are free to move about the country(to quote a popular airline commercial)..THIS COUNTRY IS YOURS.

Will we ever eliminate WELFARE?..That may be a start..thanks for the Karma point...I also look at those who have puit in 20+ years already as illegals BUT they were already granted amnesty..we have a problem with too many now and ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL..some don't get it....l

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/06 at 4:38 pm

You are free to move about the country(to quote a popular airline commercial)..THIS COUNTRY IS YOURS.

Will we ever eliminate WELFARE?..That may be a start..thanks for the Karma point...I also look at those who have puit in 20+ years already as illegals BUT they were already granted amnesty..we have a problem with too many now and ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL..some don't get it....l

Who says they are illegal and why? Look at the history of this country. Were all those people (including many of my anscesters) who came through Ellis Island illegal? They came here for the same reason many Mexicans come here now-better paying jobs, a new start in life, etc. etc. What about all those Cubans? If the Mexicans coming over here without papers are concidered illegal, shouldn't the Cubans also? Immigrations laws have ALWAYS been defined by racist intentions. First it was the Irish. Then it was people from Eastern and Southern Europe. Then it was people from Asia. Now, it is people from Mexico. So much for "Give me your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free."  ::)

Cat

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/13/06 at 9:04 pm

Who says they are illegal and why? Look at the history of this country. Were all those people (including many of my anscesters) who came through Ellis Island illegal? They came here for the same reason many Mexicans come here now-better paying jobs, a new start in life, etc. etc. What about all those Cubans? If the Mexicans coming over here without papers are concidered illegal, shouldn't the Cubans also? Immigrations laws have ALWAYS been defined by racist intentions. First it was the Irish. Then it was people from Eastern and Southern Europe. Then it was people from Asia. Now, it is people from Mexico. So much for "Give me your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free."  ::)

Cat

I don't think the United States was that overbearingly crowded a few hundred years ago.  A lot more people seem to be here now than there were then.  For those coming up here for better paying jobs, starting a new life, I say "welcome".  To those coming up here to ruin our country through the selling of illegal drugs I say "get the hell out".  Secondly my German Ancestors came to this country and spoke German when the walked on to the land, a very short time later, they spoke English. 

Written By: Davester on 08/13/06 at 10:27 pm

You know what I like about your post?  You used the word "balderdash"!

People should  use the word "balderdash" from time to time, IMO.  You know, just to keep it alive...go ;)...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/06 at 11:58 pm

People should  use the word "balderdash" from time to time, IMO.  You know, just to keep it alive...go ;)...

The word "balderdash" reminds me H.L. Mencken, but H.L. Mencken's got nothing on Saver!

Anyway, YOU guys are interlopers as far as I'm concerned.  You guys are the illegals!  This is MY country! It was MY English ancestors who came here 400 years ago...and stole it from the Indians.
:-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/14/06 at 12:20 am

Why should people be punished for entering a country the old-fashioned way?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/06 at 12:45 am

Why should people be punished for entering a country the old-fashioned way?

That's what I said.  The old-fashioned way is superior fire power, smallpox infected blankets, and a dozen broken land treaties!

Written By: Mushroom on 08/14/06 at 11:55 am

I have absolutely no problem with immigration.

I do have a problem with illegal immigration however.  And at the same time, there is a segment of it that I do not have a problem with.

If somebody chooses to enter the country illegally, they are commiting a crime.  However, I am willing to overlook that crime, if they have the intention of becomming legal members of this country.  There are amnesty programs going on all the time, and I have always supported them.

If somebody enters this country illegally, and then live like that for years and make no attempt to become resident aliens or citizens, then I have a problem.  They are not much more then leeches, sponging off of our society and giving nothing back.  They do not want to be a part of this country, they simply want to get whatever they can.

Immigration (legal or illegal) is a symbiosys that benefits everybody.  Illegal immigration where the person does not want to join society is parasitic.  These are the ones that do not follow the laws, who have no insurance, who use our social structures without putting anything back into the system.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/14/06 at 12:51 pm

I have absolutely no problem with immigration.

I do have a problem with illegal immigration however.  And at the same time, there is a segment of it that I do not have a problem with.

If somebody chooses to enter the country illegally, they are commiting a crime.  However, I am willing to overlook that crime, if they have the intention of becomming legal members of this country.  There are amnesty programs going on all the time, and I have always supported them.

If somebody enters this country illegally, and then live like that for years and make no attempt to become resident aliens or citizens, then I have a problem.  They are not much more then leeches, sponging off of our society and giving nothing back.  They do not want to be a part of this country, they simply want to get whatever they can.

Immigration (legal or illegal) is a symbiosys that benefits everybody.  Illegal immigration where the person does not want to join society is parasitic.  These are the ones that do not follow the laws, who have no insurance, who use our social structures without putting anything back into the system.

Very well thought out, very well put.

Written By: saver on 08/14/06 at 12:59 pm

Illegal includes ALL.  The law says what is legal and illegal and WE voted for the LAW.

Then again, when one law abuser gets better treatment, it may just be luck...maybe it was because they were part Irish. Thank you Ireland....and why does Ireland  ??? ???

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 08/14/06 at 1:56 pm

Very well thought out, very well put.

Thanks.  It is amazing how "moderate" this raving Conservative is.  8)

And this also applies to what Cat was saying.  When our ancestors came here generations ago, most of them never intended to return home.  Most came here intending to become citizens, and have their Children be raised as Americans.

And even when people enter illegally, I do not have that much of a problem, as long as they intend on becomming citizens (or at least resident aliens) eventually.  I am more then willing to overlook the questionable way they entered, as long as the "ends justify the means".

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/14/06 at 10:54 pm

Thanks.  It is amazing how "moderate" this raving Conservative is.   8)

And this also applies to what Cat was saying.  When our ancestors came here generations ago, most of them never intended to return home.  Most came here intending to become citizens, and have their Children be raised as Americans.

And even when people enter illegally, I do not have that much of a problem, as long as they intend on becomming citizens (or at least resident aliens) eventually.  I am more then willing to overlook the questionable way they entered, as long as the "ends justify the means".

Reading inbetween the lines is always something of benefit.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/15/06 at 11:31 pm

Thanks.  It is amazing how "moderate" this raving Conservative is.  8)

Most of them came WITH their families as well.  They did not come over here to work and send their money home.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/06 at 9:17 pm

A lot of European immigrants did send money back to their families, and a lot of them did go back home....I mean a lot of them!
Geographical distances made it impossible to go back and forth like the Mexicans do.

I'm sick of hearing guys named Murphy and Romano bitching about immigration.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/17/06 at 6:37 am

I'm sick of hearing guys named Murphy and Romano bitching about immigration.

Applause for that.  They forget that their grandparents, ggrandparents, their neighbors and friends and family lived cramped into one bedroom apartments, sleeping in the kitchen, sharing one toilet in a building.  A trip to the Tenement Museum is an eye opener, and anyone in New York should be forced to make it.  In many cases there weren't any toilets in the buildings, the only alternative was the public toilet to every 4 or 5 block area, or the alley. 

www.tenement.org/Virtual_Tour/index_virtual.html

Written By: STAR70 on 08/24/06 at 7:16 pm

Anyway, YOU guys are interlopers as far as I'm concerned.  You guys are the illegals!  This is MY country! It was MY English ancestors who came here 400 years ago...and stole it from the Indians.
:-\\

Actually the first Aryan to "Discover" North Amerikkka was Leif Erickson about 1000 CE.
So if you're not of Swedish ancestry get the hell out!!! Stupid MF's!!!

:D :D :D :D :D ;D

Written By: saver on 08/25/06 at 1:44 pm

The Indians had a bad immigration policy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/06 at 2:01 pm

Carlos has a tee shirt (yes, another one) which is basically:

HOMELAND SECURITY
http://www.homestead.com/333maxwell/files/geronimo.jpg
Fighting terrorists since 1492

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 2:42 pm

Carlos has a tee shirt (yes, another one) which is basically:

HOMELAND SECURITY
http://www.homestead.com/333maxwell/files/geronimo.jpg
Fighting terrorists since 1492

Cat
Yes!  That's the idea!  Unfortunately, the Latinos don't have the great forerunner warrior scouts the early European New World invaders had:  Smallpox.  It maight be ten years before settlers got to present-day Missouri, but smallpox had been there already.  The Indians were so thinned-out, sick, and famished, they couldn't fight back!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/salook.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...