» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Can you feel a draft?

Written By: STAR70 on 08/22/06 at 8:57 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14468245/

Subject: Re: Can you feel a draft?

Written By: Tia on 08/22/06 at 9:09 pm

what goes around comes around!

although with the reupping of the national guard troops there's been a de facto draft of sorts for years. poor schmoes doing like three tours of duty in a row, getting leave cancelled, having their SOs leave them while they're away.

war's hell... unless you do what bush did when it came his time to serve.

Written By: Davester on 08/22/06 at 9:16 pm

The possibility of being recalled to active duty...

It's in the contract and that is exactly what the IRR is for.  Inactive Ready Reservists are used to top off the reserve units, which are activated.  You're not "out" until your 8 years are up (8 years being the typical contract...).  It's very, very clear on paper and is explained to those recruits who raise their hand...

My IRR expired in 1995 groove ;) on...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/06 at 9:41 pm

Oust the current gang of criminals serving as a sorry excuse for an executive branch and then those guys can go home.  As long as GWB is the Commander-in-Chief, they'll have to perpetuate the futile occupation of Iraq and the more Americans and Iraqis will continue to die.  It's that simple.

And for chrissakes, let's get rid of Joe Lieberman.  Cast him adrift on a garbage barge.
::)

Written By: Tia on 08/22/06 at 9:42 pm

Oust the current gang of criminals serving as a sorry excuse for an executive branch and then those guys can go home.  As long as GWB is the Commander-in-Chief, they'll have to perpetuate the futile occupation of Iraq and the more Americans and Iraqis will continue to die.  It's that simple.

And for chrissakes, let's get rid of Joe Lieberman.  Cast him adrift on a garbage barge.
people should be heckling uncle joe wherever he goes. i don't get it. what a Chuck!

Written By: Tam on 08/22/06 at 9:53 pm

Add in the Army now too

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,110599,00.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/06 at 9:56 pm

people should be heckling uncle joe wherever he goes. i don't get it. what a Chuck!

Did you mean schm*ck?  That one's flagged for some reason.  Anyway, I've had about all I can take of this LIE-berman.  Zell North.

Written By: Tia on 08/22/06 at 9:59 pm

Did you mean schm*ck?  That one's flagged for some reason.  Anyway, I've had about all I can take of this LIE-berman.  Zell North.
LOL! schm*ck is flagged!

im taking bets that he catches so much heat he has to give up on running. is zell still in the democratic party? they should drum that bastard out. let him go slink his sorry ass over to the other side, see how long THEY trust him since it's plain he'll switch allegiances in a heartbeat.

i hate that spineless crap. when he gave a speech stabbing his own party in the back at the OTHER PARTY'S CONVENTION... oh, man. don't get me started. what a CHUCK!

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/22/06 at 10:45 pm

As a young person I hope they don't reinstitute the draft.  Its not just that I'm politically opposed to the war, but I would be too frightened to go.  I would not willingly go along with something that would put me in that position.

Written By: Davester on 08/22/06 at 10:51 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: freeridemt on 08/23/06 at 12:38 am

why forget Canada they have not returned over 60 % of the ones that have gone AWOL up there.

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 12:59 am

why forget Canada they have not returned over 60 % of the ones that have gone AWOL up there.

Which ones..?  What 60%..?

Canada was signatory to the U.S.-Canadian Smart Border Declaration.  Treaty revisions have also ensured that U.S. draft dodgers will be extradited back to the U.S. for proper mistreatment.  The FBI now has offices in several Canadian cities and, since October 2002, the Canadian military is now a part of the Northern Command (Northcom).  Northcom is a unified command in which the armed forces of the Continental United States (CONUS), Canada and Mexico all report to an American four-star general groove ;) on...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 1:14 am

All this talk about drafts makes me glad I'm a girl.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/23/06 at 1:15 am

On May 15, International Conscientious Objectors Day, a delegation of concerned Californians visited the Canadian Consulate in San Francisco to appeal for sanctuary for U.S. war resisters in Canada. The visit was coordinated by Courage To Resist, Project Safe Haven, and the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors (CCCO). The delegation included military veterans, a Catholic priest, an expert on international law, and resisters of U.S. wars, present and past. Four delegation members had lived in Canada during the Vietnam War.

The delegation delivered a letter to Peter MacKay, Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Monte Solberg, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. The letter was received by Tristan Landry, Consul, Political/Economic Relations and Public Relations, who listened respectfully as each of his visitors stated their support for sanctuary for U.S. war resisters in Canada.

Delegation members gave a brief overview of the plight of U.S. war resisters in Canada, telling the Canadian Consul that several hundred AWOL GIs were estimated to be in Canada, and that 25 of them had applied for political refugee status. The first two, Jeremy Hinzman and Brandon Hughey, had their claims for refugee status denied, but their cases were being appealed in Canada’s Federal Court system.

Jacqueline Cabasso, executive director of the Western States Legal Foundation, argued that the U.S. war in Iraq was illegal. “It must be opposed not only as a matter of law, but as a matter of principle,” she said.

Which ones..?  What 60%..?

Canada was signatory to the U.S.-Canadian Smart Border Declaration.  Treaty revisions have also ensured that U.S. draft dodgers will be extradited back to the U.S. for proper mistreatment.  The FBI now has offices in several Canadian cities and, since October 2002, the Canadian military is now a part of the Northern Command (Northcom).  Northcom is a unified command in which the armed forces of the Continental United States (CONUS), Canada and Mexico all report to an American four-star general groove ;) on...

this is what I am talking about...
http://www.citizen-soldier.org/Canada%20Resisters.html
for the whole story. Some people should not talk what they know not about...And I was wrong more like 95% have not been returned...

Written By: freeridemt on 08/23/06 at 1:21 am

And now France has declared any US Awol soldier  does not have to go back to the US...It has become the new Canada...
PARIS - The steady-stream of resisters, objectors and deserters against the illegal invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan continues to flow, but its terminus is now France, rather than Canada. Canada had been popular, because refuge to soldiers going AWOL, to protest illegal-conduct by the Bush Administration, was close at hand. But, although an estimated 1,000 may have crossed the border, the exact number is unknown, largely because deserters have gone underground. When combined with the number in France, which is estimated at about a thousand, as well, the percentage is significantly higher than at any time in American history. Approximately 2,500 American-mercenaries have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, roughly equal to the number of objectors. During the Vietnam War, some 20,000 fled, roughly one-third of the 58,000 killed.
http://www.nationalist.org/news/flashes/2006/032101.html

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 1:41 am

I'm aware of, and sypmpathetic to the plight of any conscientious (or otherwise) refusers...

Nevertheless, unlike the Vietnam era, you won't be able to duck across the border to Canada.  I should point out that while emigrating to Canada was one of the most publicized methods of draft evasion during the Vietnam era, in reality it was not all that heavily used.  Estimates of the number of persons actually fled to Canada vary from 20,000 to 200,000 and most of those were illegal...

The easiest thing may be just to stay where you are, don't register, and keep your yap shut.  The government may never find you.  On the other hand, if they do find you, it's one of the easiest things to get a conviction on...

Some people should not talk what they know not about...

You're not talking to me, are you, you suppurating pustule...

Written By: freeridemt on 08/23/06 at 3:09 am

You're not talking to me, are you, you suppurating pustule...

Please spare me the name calling. If thats what you need to resort to. I feel sorry for you. How unimaginative. I just said some people should  know what they are talking about.
If you had bothered  to read the links You would have seen that the Canadian government have not returned any. They are going to let their courts decide, which has been pointed out should end in about 2 maybe 4 years. And the way the Canadian government has been delaying their court dates makes me wonder. Unless the Canadian PM takes a hand and orders them out. As for the second link France has said that they have no intention of expelling any US servicemen. Matter of fact they have said any US servicemen that can make it to France will not be returned because they have declared our actions in Iraq to be an Illegal.
I do not approve of the AWOL'S nor do I condone it. It's not my war. I do not support it. But I will support the men and women over there.  To me this has the strange sense of Deja Vu all over again. In Nam you  could not tell the enemy from the friend, they would put hand grenades under the armpits of children just to kill Joe's. Plus many other tricks and traps. In Iraq the same thing, except it is even on a larger scale with all the development of compact explosives. In their case the fanatics really believe they are doing this for god and a holy war. Which in my opinion is far worse, I think anytime religion is involved it is much worse then the normal. It can be the Muslims of today. or the great and wonderful god fearing Christians.
I mean how many have died in the attacks against abortion clinics all the name of god.You want the federal stats on bombings and arson I can give you that too against the abortion clinics. over 200 bombings and arson against the clinics so please tell me again that god fearing people do not kill...that is not including the shootings at the clinics, stabbings and Butyric Acid Attacks.
The feds give a higher number. but either way it proves  the point.
Oh and you want the number of deaths due to hate crimes over years by the so called god fearing people....I mean the KKK have claimed to have killed over 10.000 blacks in the last 135 years alone. How many people did the Spanish inquisition kill all in the name of god? Did you forget that one of Englands Queens killed thousands to in the name of god or have you forgoten Bloody Mary? I mean over the years I think that Christians have done there fair share of butchery. How many did the Catholics kill in France  when they where butchering the Protestants. Trust me the terrorist would have to kill a lot more that what they have done up to date, to catch up to what god fearing people have killed over the years. All in the name of god...
http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/violence/history_violence.html
Oh Davester Hey sarcasm earns some brownie points..:) I really do not let it bother me. This is what debates and disagreements about politics,religion and many other things.  We all have our ideas on what is right and wrong in the world just too bad we really can't fix it.
So Dave I await your rebuttal. except leave out the name calling.  Lets keep it somewhat clean...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/23/06 at 3:15 am

Don't get too comfy thanks to GI friggin' Jane.

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 4:37 am

Please spare me the name calling. If thats what you need to resort to. I feel sorry for you. How unimaginative. I just said some people should  know what they are talking about.

Easier for me to take this one point at a time...

One good turn deserves another, huh..?  You make with the subtle insult, then preach the virtues of clean debating...  Did I have you all wrong..?  Are you speaking from experience, here..?  Are you a vet..?  I ask just out of curiosity...

If you had bothered  to read the links You would have seen that the Canadian government have not returned any. They are going to let their courts decide, which has been pointed out should end in about 2 maybe 4 years. And the way the Canadian government has been delaying their court dates makes me wonder. Unless the Canadian PM takes a hand and orders them out. As for the second link France has said that they have no intention of expelling any US servicemen. Matter of fact they have said any US servicemen that can make it to France will not be returned because they have declared our actions in Iraq to be an Illegal.

Yes, I read one of the links.  I'm not worried about France.  So, in your opinion, potential draft dodgers (should a draft actually occur) can rest easy in the knowledge that, if forced to flee the U.S., will be embraced by the good people of Canada and possibly shielded from extradition by the government.  The Hinzman and Hughey appeals could be precedent setting cases.  Sounds good.

I do not approve of the AWOL'S nor do I condone it. It's not my war. I do not support it. But I will support the men and women over there. 

I approve of, nay, actively encourage any-and-all members of the armed forces, if struck by the impulse to do so (no matter what the reason), to lay down their arms and return home by the best means possible and with all dispatch.  To the rest, I support them wholeheartedly with the demand to my government to bring them home, alive, immediately if not sooner...

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/violence/history_violence.html
Oh Davester Hey sarcasm earns some brownie points..:) I really do not let it bother me. This is what debates and disagreements about politics,religion and many other things.  We all have our ideas on what is right and wrong in the world just too bad we really can't fix it.
So Dave I await your rebuttal. except leave out the name calling.  Lets keep it somewhat clean...

As to this topic, I'm still not sure what, exactly, we're disagreeing about.  Draft dodgers to Canada..?  I say, "Don't run to Canada. You'll get got..".
You say, "Run to Canada.  You'll be just fine...".  Here's hoping that you're the one who's right, or better still, an impending draft turns out to be another urban legend...

Written By: freeridemt on 08/23/06 at 6:21 am

To be honest I would rather see no one run anywhere for that means a draft. I do not support a draft.
As for me being a vet aye.
And if a draft is in effect if they run to Canada, then they can get to France. Go to the French Embassy. They have said publicly 
that they will not turn any over to our government they consider all our deaths their to be mercenaries. And after  reading other sites,  have found out 4 more countries in the EU would  give our  people a place. So there is hope for some of our people if a drafts starts.

Written By: Satish on 08/23/06 at 2:25 pm

You know, in Israel, military service is compulsory for all the country's citizens, both male and female.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Defense_Forces#Regular_Service

Women already make up a significant part of the US military, including the portion serving in Iraq. If the United States ever decides to re-introduce the draft, there's a very good chance it'll apply to women as well.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 2:28 pm

Women already make up a significant part of the US military, including the portion serving in Iraq. If the United States ever decides to re-introduce the draft, there's a very good chance it'll apply to women as well.

I'm aware of the Israeli military.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you register for selective service, like males at the age of 18 have to do, they can't call your name in the event of a draft, right?  In that case, I won't get drafted because I didn't and won't sign up for anything.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/06 at 2:49 pm

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~py3y-knd/Images/draftbeer.gif

Cat

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 3:11 pm

Cat

Good Idea - Draught...

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~py3y-knd/Images/draftbeer.gif

Bad Idea - Draft...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/draft_card_web.jpg

Written By: freeridemt on 08/23/06 at 3:49 pm

Syria warns against deployment of troops
They say that UN troops along the border will  be taken as a hostile act.
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/mideast_conflict
Ok everyone says to let the UN do the job. Now most want peacekeepers there.
But how the heck are they going to that without starting another war with Syria...

Ok maybe the draft is not that far off after all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/06 at 8:22 pm

Can you lift more than fifty pounds?  Can you do 10 push-ups? Can you run 3k?
If you said yes to all three, and we invade Iran, you're going!
:o

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 8:51 pm

And when she ships-off to war, we'll support her, right..?  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 8:53 pm

I can't do any of that sh*t and proud of it.

Written By: La Roche on 08/23/06 at 9:07 pm

My new plan.

Gain 50Lbs and fall down the stairs a few times a day.

Written By: Tia on 08/23/06 at 9:59 pm

And when she ships-off to war, we'll support her, right..?  ::)
i'll send her a supportive PM every day.

actually, i heard they've raised the enlistment age to 42. so i might be feeding the belt of 30-cals into her tripod-mounted BAR.

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 10:05 pm

actually, i heard they've raised the enlistment age to 42. so i might be feeding the belt of 30-cals into her tripod-mounted BAR.

Now, wouldn't that be a picture...

The two of you together in your foxhole saving the world from democracy...

Dang, I feel a Dean Scream coming on... :P go ;)...

P.S.-  I'm not savvy on exemption requirements, but are you an only son..?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 11:08 pm

Now, wouldn't that be a picture...

The two of you together in your foxhole saving the world from democracy...

Dang, I feel a Dean Scream coming on... :P go ;)...

P.S.-  I'm not savvy on exemption requirements, but are you an only son..?

Together, Mike and I would make the world safe for Kim Richards.

Written By: Tia on 08/23/06 at 11:50 pm

finally! a cause worth fighting for!

Written By: Meghan88 on 08/24/06 at 11:48 am

I'm aware of the Israeli military.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you register for selective service, like males at the age of 18 have to do, they can't call your name in the event of a draft, right?  In that case, I won't get drafted because I didn't and won't sign up for anything.

its 17.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/06 at 12:04 pm

If they start drafting 42-year-olds, then we're really f**ked!
My health is better today than it was when I was 18, but I'm a bit anomalous.  The bigger problem is with the "Hamburger Hill" charge.  You tell a platoon of 18-year-olds, "Go take that hill!,"  and it's "Sir, yes, sir!"
You tell a platoon of 42-year olds, "Go take that hill!," and it's "F88k that sh1t, man!  I'll go to the stockade, but I'm not getting blown to chopped liver so Uncle Sam can get some cheap oil!"
;D

I can't do any of that sh*t and proud of it.

You're safe for the foreseeable future, but if they need cannon fodder bad enough, you will be amazed at the things you'll be able to do after just eight-short weeks of boot camp!

And guys, if you're thinking about showing up in your sister's prom dress, that ain't gonna fly if there's a real draft!
Back in 'Nam, it was--
Draftee:  I can't join, I'm gay!
Draft board: So are we!

You could go to Europe, but that means you'll have to have a passport.  If the re-instate the draft they will revoke all your passports and won't issue you one if you fit the draft parameters.
You say, "they can't do that!"
Oh yeah, says who?

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/24/06 at 12:26 pm

I'll just go to prison then.  Still better than going to war.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/24/06 at 1:37 pm

You're safe for the foreseeable future, but if they need cannon fodder bad enough, you will be amazed at the things you'll be able to do after just eight-short weeks of boot camp!

I can't do boot camp.  I am physically unable to do any of that, and no amount of screaming by some speed-freak drill sargeant is going to change that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/24/06 at 2:02 pm

If I can't become an objector, what I'll probably do is just leave the country.

Canada doesn't look like that hot of an option anymore, frankly.

I speak Spanish, and Mexico is closer, so I'd probably head south and keep going. I'll go to f*cking Patagonia if thats what it takes. I don't die for anyone or anything.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/24/06 at 2:09 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/24/06 at 2:25 pm

I fail to see how you will manage this considering you do not have a car and you're too lazy to walk six miles into town.

By the time the draft comes in I'll have a car.  Don't start sh*t, please.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/24/06 at 2:28 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/06 at 3:23 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/24/06 at 3:25 pm

Don't you get it?  it is un-American not to have a car!

a.  It is an economic crime to be too poor to afford a car.
b.  It is a social crime to decline to own a car if you can afford one.

The latter is far worse.

Max, quit.  He doesn't need to be needled about it, especially by you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/06 at 3:28 pm

Max, quit.  He doesn't need to be needled about it, especially by you.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/iroc.gif

Written By: STAR70 on 08/24/06 at 7:08 pm

finally! a cause worth fighting for!

I pledge allegiance to The Kim

http://kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/TuffTurf/gc-TuffTurf-176.jpg

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/24/06 at 7:53 pm

I don't think Max was needling me. ???

Written By: Davester on 08/25/06 at 12:43 am

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/25/06 at 1:42 am

Keep America strong!  Aquire heavy debt..!  http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/USA!!.gif

go ;)...

I want to avoid credit cards as much as I can. 

I'm not going to even consider getting one until I'm at least 23 or so, and even then, it will just be a backup. If you can't buy it with cash, then most of the time you don't need it.

Written By: La Roche on 08/25/06 at 9:26 am

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/25/06 at 10:52 am

Alex dosen't want a new computer then.  ;D

I walk around with a lot of cash on me pal, but.. ya know, there are times when I don't want $3000 in my wallet.

Checking accounts and debit cards come in handy...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 1:43 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: La Roche on 08/25/06 at 2:06 pm

Yeah, but debit cards have limits in what you can withdraw from the account at any one time.  Hence why credit cards come in handy.  You can't use your debit card to pay for a $1300 new laptop, but you can use your credit card for that. 

Correctamundo.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 2:35 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 2:45 pm

Credit cards: just say no.  I don't care what they tell you.  You don't need one.  The industry is one of the most powerful in the country.  They run enticing advertisements perpetually.  Their stealth PR industry runs reports on how necessary the privileges of having credit and credit cards are.  Even if it is inconvenient to go without credit.  Even if its a hardship to go without it, we must start refusing it.

Credit and cred cards made sense when we were a rich country.  We are not a rich country.  Aside from personal debts, every American reading this owes nearly $29,000 on the national debt and over $800.00 per fiscal year paying interest alone! 

The wealth of America is an illusion created by ignorance.  You'd be better off taking credit from Jimmy the Squirrel than from Visa. 

Don't go to college.

College made sense when we were a rich country and invested in students with grants.  For the past quarter century, it's been loans at usurious rates.  Thanks Ronald Reagan!  Now you graduate with $20,000 to $50,000 in debt, banking on repayment via a job that isn't there for you.  Learn a trade.  Be an electrician or a nurse.  If you want to read Plato or the history of the French Revolution, go to the library.  It's free. 

If your daddy's a millionaire, you don't have to worry about any of this, of course.  Get your 4-year liberal arts education if you can pay upfront.  Even if you're from a rich family, do your working class comrades a favor, and say no to the credit companies.

http://www.uwsa.com/uwsa-usdebt.html

I have a credit card and a Bachelor's degree in Marketing.  Does that make me a bad person or something?  Because you just basically insulted everyone here with at least one credit card and a college degree.  How dare you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 3:08 pm

I have a credit card and a Bachelor's degree in Marketing.  Does that make me a bad person or something?  Because you just basically insulted everyone here with at least one credit card and a college degree.  How dare you.

I have a BA in Journalism, minors in Englsih and Political Science.  It's great to have the education.  Not the debt.  My credit is so destroyed I couldn't get a CC even if I wanted one. 
I did not intend my statements to be an affront toward my comrades of the working class.  You may say your middle class, but the middle class is also an illusion.  We all did what we thought was right.  I did what I needed to do.  I'm sorry you interpreted what I said as "insult."  National economic policy since the time you were born, Sister M., has been outright war on the middle class. 
You want to feel insulted?  Go watch television!  Heard about the new "Survivor" series, eh?  Eschewing a class war, the powes that be are trying to foment an outright race war. 
Meanwhile, Dubya vows to stay in Iraq as long as he occupies the White House, causing how many more Iraqi deaths?  How many more American deaths?  How much more national debt?
How dare I?  How dare I do what?  How dare I point out the economic devastation in America?  If you don't feel "good" about yourself for some reason, I can't help that. 
BTW, there is no native entitlement to "feel good" about oneself.  Sorry.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 3:10 pm

;D

that shoudl be on bumper stickers.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 3:13 pm

I have a BA in Journalism, minors in Englsih and Political Science.  It's great to have the education.  Not the debt.  My credit is so destroyed I couldn't get a CC even if I wanted one. 
I did not intend my statements to be an affront toward my comrades of the working class.  You may say your middle class, but the middle class is also an illusion.  We all did what we thought was right.  I did what I needed to do.  I'm sorry you interpreted what I said as "insult."  National economic policy since the time you were born, Sister M., has been outright war on the middle class. 
You want to feel insulted?  Go watch television!  Heard about the new "Survivor" series, eh?  Eschewing a class war, the powes that be are trying to foment an outright race war. 
Meanwhile, Dubya vows to stay in Iraq as long as he occupies the White House, causing how many more Iraqi deaths?  How many more American deaths?  How much more national debt?
How dare I?  How dare I do what?  How dare I point out the economic devastation in America?  If you don't feel "good" about yourself for some reason, I can't help that. 

I don't feel bad about myself, but I'm getting sick and tired of reading you CONSTANTLY putting everything down.  I'd ask what it is you like about this country, but I probably already know the answer to that.  I don't watch Survivor, so I have no clue what you're talking about as far as that goes. 

And not everyone who has a credit card uses it wrong, doesn't make payments on time, and is up to their eyeballs in debt.  Just because that may be the norm for some people, it's not the norm for me or anyone else I know.  I was taught how to use credit properly and I've never once had a problem with it.  As for debts incurred when going to college....what the hell do you think?  College should be free?  I have about $40,000 in student loans to pay off, but I'll pay it off gladly because that money went towards a great cause; my degree.  I don't mind paying off my loans....if not for them, I could never have gotten my degree and if I didn't get it, that would have been one of the greatest disappointments I'd have in life.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 3:31 pm

survivor is starting a new season where everyone's going to be racially segregated.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 3:33 pm

survivor is starting a new season where everyone's going to be racially segregated.

What?!  That's redonculous. 

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 3:36 pm

I don't feel bad about myself, but I'm getting sick and tired of reading you CONSTANTLY putting everything down.  I'd ask what it is you like about this country, but I probably already know the answer to that.
about this country there's plenty to love. about the federal government, at least the part that gets any attention, they're virtually irredeemable. they've abdicated virtually every responsibility they have, their behavior in all the time i've been alive has just gotten more and more despicable. and this bush admin is gonna go down in history as the most shamelessly two-faced america's ever seen. and the right-wing angle, take your tax money and then tell you you should be taking care of yourself while they subsidize all their rich friends and neighbors, is particularly laughable. why can't exxon-mobil take care of itself? why does halliburton need to be subsidized with my tax money through fat-cat military contracts that they almost completely fail to deliver on? why do I have to take care of THEM?

i ask you: what do you LIKE about this government? ??? i'm down with the park service and the library of congress and the smithsonian and stuff but the real government is rotten to the core. after katrina and the incredible revelations about iraq i wonder about ANYone who hasn't noticed this yet. what's it gonna take?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 3:36 pm

I don't feel bad about myself, but I'm getting sick and tired of reading you CONSTANTLY putting everything down.

Yes, this is depressing, I agree.  I do believe we are economically and geopolitically in great peril at this time.  I believe it is more positive to point to a tornado headed our way and say, "Look out!," than it is to say, "Look at the gorgeous hues of the sunset!"  I don't put "everything" down, now do I?  Tia and I had a positive chat about the "Benji" movies the other day!
;)

I don't watch Survivor, so I have no clue what you're talking about as far as that goes. 
I don't watch it either.  Thus, I thought what I was hearing was hoax, until it turned out to be horribly true:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,19833,00.html
Brought to you by Diet Coke..."I'd like teach the world to sing...in racist cacaphony!"

And not everyone who has a credit card uses it wrong, doesn't make payments on time, and is up to their eyeballs in debt.  Just because that may be the norm for some people, it's not the norm for me or anyone else I know.  I was taught how to use credit properly and I've never once had a problem with it.  As for debts incurred when going to college....what the hell do you think?  College should be free?  I have about $40,000 in student loans to pay off, but I'll pay it off gladly because that money went towards a great cause; my degree.  I don't mind paying off my loans....if not for them, I could never have gotten my degree and if I didn't get it, that would have been one of the greatest disappointments I'd have in life.

Whatever gets you through the night 'salright, 'salright
It's your money or life 'salright, 'salright
Don't need a sword to cut through flowers oh no, oh no...
--John Lennon

What do I like about this country?  Well, it's a disturbing question 'coz all the things I like about it are fading away fast!
It's like asking liberal German in 1938, "Well, then what do you like about the Reich?"

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 3:37 pm

that's what max is saying wiht the fomenting race war angle. and yup, it's true. survivor next season's gonna be split up by race.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 3:40 pm

Whatever gets you through the night 'salright, 'salright
It's your money or life 'salright, 'salright
Don't need a sword to cut through flowers oh no, oh no...
--John Lennon

Ummmm, okay?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 3:41 pm

Even though the sound of it is something quite...atronculous.
:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 3:43 pm

Ummmm, okay?

Yeah, man, it's groovy.  I'm OK, you're OK!
:)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/I%27m_OK-_You%27re_OK.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 3:44 pm

Yeah, man, it's groovy.  I'm OK, you're OK!
:)

People are sick of my sarcasm, and I'm tired of yours.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 3:49 pm

What do I like about this country?  Well, it's a disturbing question 'coz all the things I like about it are fading away fast!
It's like asking liberal German in 1938, "Well, then what do you like about the Reich?"
why do you hate the reich, max? why do you have to be such a reich-hater?

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 3:49 pm

People are sick of my sarcasm, and I'm tired of yours.
i love EVERYone's sarcasm. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 3:51 pm

i love EVERYone's sarcasm. ::)

That's because you're the funny one here.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 4:20 pm

Credit cards: just say no.  I don't care what they tell you.  You don't need one.  The industry is one of the most powerful in the country.  They run enticing advertisements perpetually.  Their stealth PR industry runs reports on how necessary the privileges of having credit and credit cards are.  Even if it is inconvenient to go without credit.  Even if its a hardship to go without it, we must start refusing it.

Credit and cred cards made sense when we were a rich country.  We are not a rich country.  Aside from personal debts, every American reading this owes nearly $29,000 on the national debt and over $800.00 per fiscal year paying interest alone! 

The wealth of America is an illusion created by ignorance.  You'd be better off taking credit from Jimmy the Squirrel than from Visa. 

I have several credit cards.  The difference between your credit cards and mine is probably that A- I pay mine on time (always) and in full (whenever possible, but most of the time) and B- I have credit cards that give me reward points and cash back and other intangibles.  So the credit card companies don't make any money off me other than the merchant commissions.

The financial information is out there in all forms, in the newspapers' editorial sections, in Suze Orman's books, even at the financial institutions that you hate.  It's common sense to not spend more than you make.  It's also common sense to save when you can and pay yourself first.  You can find all kinds of advice that can pertain to you and other middle-income Joe Q. Publics that can help you squirrel away a few dollars a week, that you can then invest in the companies that you vilify so that you can retire.  401(k)?  Investments.  403(b)?  Investments.  IRA?  Investments.  Most of the time, especially with the big companies, they will allow middle-income folks to invest as little as $25 a month into their high-yield mutual funds.  You most likely make more than I do, and I have a wife and kid.  How come I'm able to find the $25 a month (Actually, more like $100+) and you can't?

The question I have for you is: what are you doing with your money?  Because if you, an admittedly single person with no responsibilities and no kids, can't save more than I with your disposable income, then there's something wrong with you, not the system.

Don't go to college.

College made sense when we were a rich country and invested in students with grants.  For the past quarter century, it's been loans at usurious rates.  Thanks Ronald Reagan!  Now you graduate with $20,000 to $50,000 in debt, banking on repayment via a job that isn't there for you.  Learn a trade.  Be an electrician or a nurse.  If you want to read Plato or the history of the French Revolution, go to the library.  It's free. 

If your daddy's a millionaire, you don't have to worry about any of this, of course.  Get your 4-year liberal arts education if you can pay upfront.  Even if you're from a rich family, do your working class comrades a favor, and say no to the credit companies.

Get a scholarship.  My education thus far (bachelor's in molecular biology, master's in immunology, and in a few years, PhD in cancer biology) cost less than $10000 because of scholarships and fellowships.  My parents saved up the $10000 over a period of many years, and did the same with my brother.  Why is it my fault that your family didn't plan better?  My family isn't insanely rich either, so don't use that angle.

And about the liberal arts degree: You chose to study it, nobody else could have forced you to do so.  My degree path allowed me innumerable opportunities for subsidized apprenticeships and high-paying jobs.  I do not look down upon the degree, only the person that complains because he chose the degree and now can't get what he would consider a "decent" job because of his choice.

What weird utopia did you think you lived in where you didn't have to pay for a higher education?  Even these days, public schools are subsidized, not free.  I thought you went to a UMass, that's a state school, right?  So already you saved $$ over going to Harvard or Stanfurd or something. 

I fully expected to have to work my way through college if my parents didn't have enough money and I didn't get a good scholarship.  I had jobs throughout high school and college to pay for books and help my parents offset the tuition that wasn't taken care of by the scholarships that I fortunately received.  And then I commuted an hour each way to school because I knew I could not afford to live on campus.  In the meantime, I built up my credit using my parents' advice and a credit card that was tied to their credit, but I paid my share.  Bad credit is sometimes out of the control of mortal men, but most of the time, it's the creditholder's fault for not using it correctly. 

Again, is it my fault you chose the degree that you did and got into debt afterwards?

I have to feel good about myself because I can't afford to feel bad.  The moment I feel bad is the moment I become a victim.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 4:30 pm

I have several credit cards.  The difference between your credit cards and mine is probably that A- I pay mine on time (always) and in full (whenever possible, but most of the time) and B- I have credit cards that give me reward points and cash back and other intangibles.  So the credit card companies don't make any money off me other than the merchant commissions.

The financial information is out there in all forms, in the newspapers' editorial sections, in Suze Orman's books, even at the financial institutions that you hate.  It's common sense to not spend more than you make.  It's also common sense to save when you can and pay yourself first.  You can find all kinds of advice that can pertain to you and other middle-income Joe Q. Publics that can help you squirrel away a few dollars a week, that you can then invest in the companies that you vilify so that you can retire.  401(k)?  Investments.  403(b)?  Investments.  IRA?  Investments.  Most of the time, especially with the big companies, they will allow middle-income folks to invest as little as $25 a month into their high-yield mutual funds.  You most likely make more than I do, and I have a wife and kid.  How come I'm able to find the $25 a month (Actually, more like $100+) and you can't?

The question I have for you is: what are you doing with your money?  Because if you, an admittedly single person with no responsibilities and no kids, can't save more than I with your disposable income, then there's something wrong with you, not the system.

Get a scholarship.  My education thus far (bachelor's in molecular biology, master's in immunology, and in a few years, PhD in cancer biology) cost less than $10000 because of scholarships and fellowships.  My parents saved up the $10000 over a period of many years, and did the same with my brother.  Why is it my fault that your family didn't plan better?  My family isn't insanely rich either, so don't use that angle.

And about the liberal arts degree: You chose to study it, nobody else could have forced you to do so.  My degree path allowed me innumerable opportunities for subsidized apprenticeships and high-paying jobs.  I do not look down upon the degree, only the person that complains because he chose the degree and now can't get what he would consider a "decent" job because of his choice.

What weird utopia did you think you lived in where you didn't have to pay for a higher education?  Even these days, public schools are subsidized, not free.  I thought you went to a UMass, that's a state school, right?  So already you saved $$ over going to Harvard or Stanfurd or something. 

I fully expected to have to work my way through college if my parents didn't have enough money and I didn't get a good scholarship.  I had jobs throughout high school and college to pay for books and help my parents offset the tuition that wasn't taken care of by the scholarships that I fortunately received.  And then I commuted an hour each way to school because I knew I could not afford to live on campus.  In the meantime, I built up my credit using my parents' advice and a credit card that was tied to their credit, but I paid my share.  Bad credit is sometimes out of the control of mortal men, but most of the time, it's the creditholder's fault for not using it correctly. 

Again, is it my fault you chose the degree that you did and got into debt afterwards?

I have to feel good about myself because I can't afford to feel bad.  The moment I feel bad is the moment I become a victim.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/pundits/rush-limbaugh/limbaugh.jpg

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 4:31 pm

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/pundits/rush-limbaugh/limbaugh.jpg

Thought so.  You're a victim.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 4:32 pm

we're ALL victims of THAT as.hole.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 4:32 pm

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 4:33 pm

we're ALL victims of THAT as.hole.

Yeah, Rush Limbaugh sucks.  That's why I don't listen to him.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 4:34 pm

Wow....way to show maturity, my man. 

Written By: Jessica on 08/25/06 at 4:35 pm

Took the words right out of my mouth...or fingers or whatever.

*edited to add: I thought he was just going to call Rice a fascist or something*

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 4:40 pm

http://i8.tinypic.com/25jwg90.jpg

Written By: Jessica on 08/25/06 at 4:42 pm

Is that Kim Richards?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 4:42 pm

Hard to believe her sister mothered Parasite.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 4:48 pm

Hard to believe her sister mothered Parasite.
tell me about it!

thought we might need a momentary change of subject.

anyway... back to fascist victims of the draft.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 4:50 pm

anyway... back to fascist victims of the draft.

Darn, I guess I'm still young enough to get drafted...oh well, I needed the exercise anyway.  Thank goodness I have life insurance so my family isn't completely screwed if Osama busts a cap in my punk @$$.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 5:03 pm

Yeah, Rush Limbaugh sucks.  That's why I don't listen to him.

That's the thing...you don't have to like him.  You don't have to listen to him.  You hate the man, and yet your screed sounds just like something you'd hear on his show.  Limbaugh did not set the agenda for national consciousness.  He was merely the propaganda minister for the Newt Deal.  Rush's own star is fading, you see.  He has performed his function.  I just heard this guy on the Failing Air America Network last night:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975251783/102-8785090-2231358?v=glance&n=283155
Haven't read his book yet, but Deyrich sums up the same thing I observed about the two simple tenets of Limbaugh's message.

a. Absolute free markets.
b. Personal responsibility.

Sounds good, right?  However in the world according to GOP, the only entity that can make markets not free is the government.  If independent retailers get driven out of business by Wal-Mart, that's the free market!  If the government tells Microsoft it can't operate a monopoly, that's NOT the free market.

There is NO responsibility except personal responsibility.  There is no failure except personal failure.  We are the sum of our choices and nothing more.  I'm not going to use myself as an example, because you have already made erroneous personal attacks on me.  The ad hominem attack is another staple of Limbaugh-thought.  As is the Horatio Alger self-example, "I did this, and I did that, and I had it tough, and you liberals make more money than we conservatives, and I lved on grits and gravy for ten years...BUT I NEVER TOOK NO HANDOUT FROM NOBODY."  That's the general idea.
If you get bad grades in school because you are so poor you must work 40 hours a week, then you have failed to take personal responsibility.  It is your mother's fault she is poor.  It is your fault you are poor.  The free market welcomes the ambitious with open arms.

If a CEO bankrupts a corporation and lays off five thousand employees, the employees failed to take personal responsibility because the worked in a non-growth industry.  The CEO?  He gets $100 million in compensation and gets hired to wreck another company.  Personal responsibility does not apply to the rich (unless your name is something like Clinton or Kennedy).

You must say, "I believe in personal responsibility."  You must not say, "I believe in personal responsibility, but..."  If you qualify that statement in any way, you don't believe in personal responsibility.  You show yourself as a liberal slacker.

Now, Mr. Cube, you say you hate Rush.  Your reaction to his picture demonstrates the power of the message he purveys.  The message is as ubiquitous as hydrogen.  You cannot get away from it.  It is the dominant theme in all mainstream media and all mainstream political beliefs in this country.

I posted a photo of Rush with no accompanying remarks.  You replied, "Thought so.  You're a victim."  Bit Pavlovian, isn't it?  In those five words is a myriad of prejudice, resentment, presumption, and blame.  One of Rush's chief tactics is to:
a. call dissenters "victims"; and then
b. describe the state of being a victim as a sick social pathology wrought on you by the Democrat party in order to get your vote; and then
c. declare "America was founded on rugged individualism," and if you have problems in America, it's because you're liberal and lazy.
You have no curiosity as to what did happen to me in my formative years, and how I got in trouble with creditors.  If I were to explain, you would return to the Limbaugh-esque diatribe I have described above.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 5:05 pm

^ So sounding like a James Carville or an Al Franken or a Bill Maher makes you better.  Got it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 5:06 pm

You have no curiosity as to what did happen to me in my formative years, and how I got in trouble with creditors.  If I were to explain, you would return to the Limbaugh-esque diatribe I have described above.

You also have a bad habit of painting everything with a wide brush.  Just because YOU had problems with creditors doesn't mean we all will.  Just because YOU had problems paying for school or had to incur debts you can't repay to go to school doesn't mean we all will.  That last post of yours smacked of "This is what happened to me, so therefore this as a whole sucks and here's why". 

You had trouble with credit.  I don't, and Rice Cube doesn't.  That's us.  We never attributed our personal situations to everyone as a whole; you did.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 5:21 pm

You also have a bad habit of painting everything with a wide brush.  Just because YOU had problems with creditors doesn't mean we all will.  Just because YOU had problems paying for school or had to incur debts you can't repay to go to school doesn't mean we all will.  That last post of yours smacked of "This is what happened to me, so therefore this as a whole sucks and here's why". 

You had trouble with credit.  I don't, and Rice Cube doesn't.  That's us.  We never attributed our personal situations to everyone as a whole; you did.

That's why I realized my mistake in using myself as an example.  Part of the Pavlovian Limbaugh conditioning we all receive as political indoctrination is to isolate a person who speaks of his difficulties in life, and then blame him.  It is part of the "shoot the messenger" syndrome.  That is why I emphasize Rush is only the emblem of the Newt Deal.  He is only a figurehead.  Same with Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and other right-wing clods.  Ann Coulter isn't the problem.  The president of Lockhee-Martin, for instance, is.

You may not have "personal" credit problems.  But you are still in debt.  What appears to be prosperity is actually a life living off a ten-trillion dollar Visa card we, as a nation, have no way of paying back.  Bankruptcies are at an all-time high.  What's the solution? Outlaw bankruptcy!

I repost this link:
http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v4/alrtv4n33.asp

Remember, America is not a rich country.  America is turning into  Mexico.  It is a country with vast wealth held in a few hands while hundreds of millions grow steadily poorer.  Our national debt is like when Wile E. Coyote walks over the cliff and keeps walking on thin air...until he looks down.  America has not yet had to look down!

Personal responsibility, eh?  Hot dog!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 5:25 pm

^ So sounding like a James Carville or an Al Franken or a Bill Maher makes you better.  Got it.

None of these on-air pundits will tell the full truth.  These broadcasting personalities come a bit closer:
http://www.mikemalloy.com/
http://www.therandirhodesshow.com/live/
http://www.thomhartmann.com/

therefore this as a whole sucks and here's why". 

Funny to hear somebody nicknamed "morphine" say something "smacked" of something.
--Brother Kadian.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/06 at 5:29 pm

the whole personal responsibiilty thing is a nonstarter. anytime CEOs are getting multi-dozens-of-millions-of-dollar severance packages for driving companies into the ground and only certain token figures are being held accountable for it, they're not having to take personal responsibility. if the airline industry lets planes crash into buildings because they skimp on security measures and then get 20 billion dollar gifts from the government so they don't tank, how's that personal responsibility?

it seems like for conservatives personal responsibility only applies to the poor and working class. if you're rich, there's no need for it. i guess because no one's going to ever hold your feet to the fire anyway.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 6:05 pm

Funny to hear somebody nicknamed "morphine" say something "smacked" of something.
--Brother Kadian.

Not this bullsh*t again. 

Written By: Davester on 08/25/06 at 6:36 pm

its 17.

It's 18...

Are women even required to register with selective services..?

Anyone..? go ;)...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 9:18 pm

It's 18...

Are women even required to register with selective services..?

Anyone..? go ;)...

They will be!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/06 at 10:51 pm

Rant:  There will be no draft, even if we choose to expand the war.  The military has too much technology, and you cannot get draftees to apply that technology effectively.

Rant #2:  If there were one, I'd go.  I know enough physics to get just about any MOS I want.  Maybe I don't even have to leave the continent to play my part. 

But if I did get shipped over to pound ground (and if by some miracle I passed the physicals), I've got enough liquid assets that I could invest in a wide spread of foreign-currency-denominated bonds, commodities, defense contractors, and the tobacco industry.  The portfolio can easily pay to keep all my posessions in storage for any tour they send me on, and if I make it back, post-war Amerika might be a fun place for a guy who was able to shield himself from a prolonged conflict's catastrophic effect on the value of the US dollar.

The current stalemate bores me.  We blow up a few dozen of them.  They blow up a few dozen of us.  Feh.  Let's just get it on.

And on that note -- DEFCON:  Release date September 2006.  Confidence is high.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/06 at 9:14 am

Rant:  There will be no draft, even if we choose to expand the war.  The military has too much technology, and you cannot get draftees to apply that technology effectively.

Rant #2:  If there were one, I'd go.  I know enough physics to get just about any MOS I want.  Maybe I don't even have to leave the continent to play my part. 

But if I did get shipped over to pound ground (and if by some miracle I passed the physicals), I've got enough liquid assets that I could invest in a wide spread of foreign-currency-denominated bonds, commodities, defense contractors, and the tobacco industry.  The portfolio can easily pay to keep all my posessions in storage for any tour they send me on, and if I make it back, post-war Amerika might be a fun place for a guy who was able to shield himself from a prolonged conflict's catastrophic effect on the value of the US dollar.

The current stalemate bores me.  We blow up a few dozen of them.  They blow up a few dozen of us.  Feh.  Let's just get it on.

And on that note -- DEFCON:  Release date September 2006.  Confidence is high.

Your "liquid assets" ain't sh!t.  You're no playa in the big boys' game. 
I do suspect you're right, there won't be a "draft."  These clowns are sick and stupid enough to set off nukes.

Written By: Marian on 08/26/06 at 3:56 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/06 at 9:28 pm

For much of the time the draft was in effect,troops were segregated.There were black units,Japanese units,and so on.I believe there were also size restrictions that kept a lot of Asians and Hispanics out,and women were very restricted as well.With integration,the draft has been redundant.

But what about the sheer number of troops the military will need for combat operations in Iran?
???

Written By: La Roche on 08/26/06 at 9:34 pm

But what about the sheer number of troops the military will need for combat operations in Iran?
???

"Are you 16, did you drop out of school, Uncle Sam needs you!"

Written By: Tia on 08/26/06 at 9:37 pm

???
thye seem to be under the impression they'll just be able to drop a few bombs and be done with it. course bill clinton was the last one to actually pull THAT off.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/06 at 9:45 pm

thye seem to be under the impression they'll just be able to drop a few bombs and be done with it. course bill clinton was the last one to actually pull THAT off.

Different times.  Different geo-political strategies.  If they bomb theran, they'll play into the the hands of the militant Islamic fundamentalists; the counterparts to the Christian Armageddonists here in the U.S.

The neo-cons have already bankrupted America.  The way for them to permanently dismantle the democratic republic is to touch off WWIII.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/27/06 at 11:36 am

WWIII Interesting concept. So when they run out of planes, tanks and bullets.  Will they fight with sticks and stones then?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/06 at 12:56 pm

WWIII Interesting concept. So when they run out of planes, tanks and bullets.  Will they fight with sticks and stones then?

They'll never run out of tanks and bullets.  The people may run out food, clothes, and shelter, but the governments will always fnd away to make more weapons.  Just ask Kim Jong Il!

Written By: freeridemt on 08/27/06 at 1:48 pm

there is an old saying that when World War III comes it will be fought with Nukes. When WWIV comes it will be fought with Swords and stones.

Written By: Tia on 08/27/06 at 1:52 pm

einstein said something to that effect.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/06 at 2:06 pm

The Last Flower-by James Thurber

http://pages.zdnet.com/storysocks/library/id58.html

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/06 at 12:00 am

The Last Flower-by James Thurber

http://pages.zdnet.com/storysocks/library/id58.html

Cat

I think old Jim is on to something there, but I would use a parable featuring man, woman, serpent, and apple tree!
"Care for an apple, Eve?"
"It's the Tree of Knowledge, He said we're not supposed to...."
"Oh g'wan, He ain't lookin,' He's too busy deciding whether Pluto's gonna be a planet or not!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/snake.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 08/30/06 at 2:31 pm

For much of the time the draft was in effect,troops were segregated.There were black units,Japanese units,and so on.I believe there were also size restrictions that kept a lot of Asians and Hispanics out,and women were very restricted as well.With integration,the draft has been redundant.

Actually, you are talking quite ancient history.

Segregation was removed from the US Armed Forces prior to the Korean War.  This was ordered by President Truman.  The process of integrating the units was still underway when hostilities broke out, so the units sent were half segregated, and half integrated.  During the opening months casualties were high, so this allwed the integration of other units.  Older segregated units were combined together, taking a white and a black unit and merging them together.  And the pools of replacements were integrated, often sending white servicemen to former black units, and the reverse.

By the end of Korea, the Army was fully integrated.  The Navy had integrated years earlier, and has a history if integrated crews dating back to before the Civil War.

The Japanese in WWII is unique.  There were units composed of Japanese-Americans, which only saw service in Europe.  And in much the same way, large numbers of suspected German and Italian sympathizers in the US Army were deployed to the Pacific Theatre instead of Europe.  But you never hear about that, because it is simply not interesting.

Women in the Armed Forces is another unique position.  Until after Korea, they could only join in the Auxiliary Corps.  And to be honest, a lot of women simply prefered to stay in the Auxiliary Corps, even after they were given the chance to integrate with their Parent Service.

Even though Women could join the US Army starting in the late 1950's, the Women's Army Corps was not disbanded until 1978.  While most women moved into the Regular Army (and reserves), a lot choose to remain in the WAC.  The reasons were many, including the fact that as a WAC Officer, you were not given command responsibility.  In addition, service in combat areas was strictly voluntary, and it was easier to remain in the service.  The last WAC finally retired in 1976, allowing the WACs to finally be disbanded for good 2 years later.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/06 at 2:40 pm

Segregation was removed from the US Armed Forces prior to the Korean War.  This was ordered by President Truman.  The process of integrating the units was still underway when hostilities broke out, so the units sent were half segregated, and half integrated.  During the opening months casualties were high, so this allwed the integration of other units.  Older segregated units were combined together, taking a white and a black unit and merging them together.  And the pools of replacements were integrated, often sending white servicemen to former black units, and the reverse.

By the end of Korea, the Army was fully integrated.  The Navy had integrated years earlier, and has a history if integrated crews dating back to before the Civil War.

The Japanese in WWII is unique.  There were units composed of Japanese-Americans, which only saw service in Europe.  And in much the same way, large numbers of suspected German and Italian sympathizers in the US Army were deployed to the Pacific Theatre instead of Europe.  But you never hear about that, because it is simply not interesting.

Women in the Armed Forces is another unique position.  Until after Korea, they could only join in the Auxiliary Corps.  And to be honest, a lot of women simply prefered to stay in the Auxiliary Corps, even after they were given the chance to integrate with their Parent Service.

Even though Women could join the US Army starting in the late 1950's, the Women's Army Corps was not disbanded until 1978.  While most women moved into the Regular Army (and reserves), a lot choose to remain in the WAC.  The reasons were many, including the fact that as a WAC Officer, you were not given command responsibility.  In addition, service in combat areas was strictly voluntary, and it was easier to remain in the service.  The last WAC finally retired in 1976, allowing the WACs to finally be disbanded for good 2 years later.

When I was in, I remember being called a WAF by some of the older civilans who worked on the base.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/06 at 7:47 pm

Would you rather be a JAG officer or a WAC officer?
:P

Written By: Marian on 09/05/06 at 3:25 pm

Check for new replies or respond here...