» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Keith Olbermann!

Written By: Tia on 09/04/06 at 10:32 pm

or as i like to call him, keith "pimpslap" olbermann.

this dude is so awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5sVEYc58A

has he ever been on the daily show? him and jon stewart should work together.

there is just no substitute for thoughtful and considered rhetoric. which is why hannity and o'reilly have to constantly shout down their guests, they lack one tenth of this man's gifts.

Subject: Re: Keith Olbermann!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/06 at 10:39 pm

Keith Olbermann is a curious phenomenon.  When he started out, he seemed like just another TWG (tall white guy) in a suit.  He seemed like he was going to be one of them....a Tucker, a Beck, a Matthews.  Then he started pointing out Bushie hypocrisy on the sly.  Somewhere along the line he got Bill O'Reilly mad at him...and that's where the fun really began!

Written By: Tia on 09/04/06 at 10:44 pm

i remember he seemed to turn the corner with his commentary on katrina, which i thought was just wonderful and was the only thing i saw anywhere in the mainstream that captured anything like my shock and outrage.

and having bill o'reilly mad at ya isn't any unusual thing. hell, he probably got mad at ME at some point and i just happened not to tune in to the factor that week.

you saw the one where he yelled about maxwell smart, right?

Written By: Davester on 09/04/06 at 10:46 pm

The Democrats are planning to push for a vote of no confidence in Rumsfeld, which I can see being a good thing ahead of the midterms.  The analogy between critics of the Iraq war being akin to those who advocated appeasing Hitler is utterly absurd, IMO.  The clip of Olbermann's rebuttal of Rumsfeld's point is great to watch, though groove ;) on...

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/04/06 at 10:59 pm

The Olber Man rules! I watch him all the time, its like the Daily Show but with real news.

He calls O'Reilly "The Big Giant Head" ;D ;D

The Big Giant Head was the aliens' boss on Third Rock from the Sun, played by William Shatner.

Written By: Tia on 09/04/06 at 11:04 pm

The Democrats are planning to push for a vote of no confidence in Rumsfeld, which I can see being a good thing ahead of the midterms.  The analogy between critics of the Iraq war being akin to those who advocated appeasing Hitler is utterly absurd, IMO.  The clip of Olbermann's rebuttal of Rumsfeld's point is great to watch, though groove ;) on...
the way he turns the neville chamberlain accusation around is sheer genius. so true, neville appeased because of his blind certainty that he was right and his inability to entertain other points of view.

wonderful!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 1:39 am

i remember he seemed to turn the corner with his commentary on katrina, which i thought was just wonderful and was the only thing i saw anywhere in the mainstream that captured anything like my shock and outrage.

and having bill o'reilly mad at ya isn't any unusual thing. hell, he probably got mad at ME at some point and i just happened not to tune in to the factor that week.

you saw the one where he yelled about maxwell smart, right?

Uh, you mean Agent 86?  What, he and 99 are on the side of the terrorists or something? 
I do remember O'Reilly aired an email I sent him.  You know, I can't remember what the subject was.  I do remember my email message said something about "Ted Kennedy" and "gays."  His staff probably has a filtering program.  If one message contains those two subjects, maybe it gets flagged for possible airing.  Anyway, his stooges cut the two middle sentences out of the message so it didn't make sense, then O'Reilly chided, "Nonsense, Mr. Smart! I didn't say anything about blah blah blah!"  I'm thinking, "He may be a TV star with an eight-figure salary, but he sure is pitiful!"

Olbermann is having fun taunting O'Reilly.  He probably saw how easy it was for Al Franken to get the best of Mr. O.  There was some recent event both O'Reilly and Olbermann were attending, and Olbermann had a custom-made O'Reilly mask.  Olbermann remarked, "He probably didn't come outside to meet me because I'm the same size as he is!"  O'Reilly is your typical bully with a bigtime cowardly streak!

Written By: Tia on 09/05/06 at 1:51 am

it's funny cuz i watched a couple of these o'reilly and hannity vids (their approaches are similar enough that they really needn't be distinguished) and there's so much cutting people off, so much yelling and points getting half-made and when the right wing host does it the guest starts doing it too... and what happens is, you as a viewer start affiliating yourself with whatever side you identify with, so i start listening to the guest who's trying to get a word in edgewise and meanwhile i'm sure the o'hannity apologists start cluing into whatever the host is saying and going, why won't that damn guest shut up and let o'hannity go ahead and call him a communist america-hating terrorist which is plainly what he is? and it has two parallel effects: 1. to disrupt rational thought, because you keep hearing an argument get started on air, but no one is ever allowed to finish it, and eventually you as a viewer presumably stop completing your own thoughts, and 2. to exacerbate existing preconceptions. however you go into an episode of hanreilly factor thinking, you're going to be red in the face enraged over reiterating your existing preconceptions by the end.

so, 1. cripple rational thought, and 2. leave you enraged. and it's really quite effective at both.

i really think olbermann operates on a different plane. his monologues he takes an elaborate thought and carries it to its conclusion in a beautifully executed fashion. it takes a long time and you have to pay attention when he talks, because he's really making an argument.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 9:17 am

so, 1. cripple rational thought, and 2. leave you enraged.

O'Reilly knows how to be a little more nuanced than Hannity.  Hannity's just a total numbskull.  I mean the guys is du-u-u-u-mb!  They need to keep his nuance in an external hard drive--Alan Colmes!  Colmes the capon.  Those enumerated points are the kernal of FOX News (as opposed to the colonel of FOX News, who is Ollie North).  I don't know if he still says it, but one of Hannity's slogans with which he would sock the unsuspecting guests was, "Isn't America the greatest country God ever gave man?"

Hannity: Isn't America the greatest country God ever gave man?
Guest: Well, I don't think you can say...I mean, it's not quite that...
Hannity: Just answer the question!  Isn't America the greatest country God ever gave man?  Yes or no.

This is the guy Roger Ailes chose out of thousands to be the anchor the 9:00 p.m. slot!  Ailes let Hannity pick who he wanted for "the liberal."  That's how we ended up with Alan Colmes--the first man with battered wife syndrome.  Hannity is a bully, and bullies, no matter how dumb they are, can sense who they can push around.

BTW, that "just answer the question" jazz was a favorite tactic of uber-bully Joe McCarthy.  Hanreilly uses it all the time!  And wouldn't you know it, there's a contingent of FOX regulars led by Ann Coulter who are out to redeem Joe McCarthy as a Great American Patriot.  If you're gonna listen to that stuff,  you might as well carve out your own cerebral cortex and shove straight down the garbage disposal.  Just grind it right up!  You obviously have no use for it if you're rooting for those guys.

I found with FNC that your 1-2 punch also works if you hate the Right and the Republican party.  You get all steamed up and shake your fist at the TV screen.  Well, those clowns don't make national policies, they're just purveyors of propaganda.  You never see a Hanreilly or a  Rush Coulter actually debate anybody.  Not even Steven Colbert!  If it's point-for-point with debate rules and no interrupting allowed, they'd get shown up for the dopes they are lightening quick!

So if you're busy being enraged at the azzwholes on FNC, you have less mental energy to focus on the real bad eggs on the political scene!  I don't think O'Hannity is devious enough to know how this works, but I'll bet Roger Ailes is!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/cussing.gif

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/05/06 at 1:13 pm

I just love verbal smackdowns!!

Go, Keith, go!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 9:48 pm

I just love verbal smackdowns!!

Go, Keith, go!

Well, they make it so easy.  I don't think Olbermann is some kind of left-wing idealogue.  He doesn't have to be to "go after" the Bushies.  All he has to do is pull up their talking points and say, "Look at that, it doesn't make any sense, now does it!"
:P

Written By: Davester on 09/06/06 at 12:15 am

Max,

That whole Michael Newdow plegde of allegiance hoo-hah was the last time I actually sat down and watched FNC.  The whole interview of Mr. Newdow was a fuggin' disgrace and something best left to Jerry Springer... >:(  Fair and balanced my a$$...

Do you remember seeing that..?  Ima look it up on YouTube...

groove ;) on...

Written By: Jessica on 09/06/06 at 12:10 pm

I found this amusing.

Marilyn Manson's interview with Bill O'Reilly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE2ZB_uHfRw

Written By: Tia on 09/06/06 at 12:15 pm

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28771

i like marilyn manson's ideas in interviews and such but his band's music doesn't usually do much for me.

Written By: Jessica on 09/06/06 at 12:33 pm

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28771

i like marilyn manson's ideas in interviews and such but his band's music doesn't usually do much for me.

BAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA!!! I love that article!

Written By: Tia on 09/06/06 at 12:42 pm

BAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA!!! I love that article!
yeah, it's a favorite among conservatives.

Joke! Joke! Sorry!

*ducks*

Written By: Jessica on 09/06/06 at 12:46 pm

yeah, it's a favorite among conservatives.

Joke! Joke! Sorry!

*ducks*

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/pottytrain2.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/06 at 2:04 pm

Max,

That whole Michael Newdow plegde of allegiance hoo-hah was the last time I actually sat down and watched FNC.  The whole interview of Mr. Newdow was a fuggin' disgrace and something best left to Jerry Springer... >:(  Fair and balanced my a$$...

Do you remember seeing that..?  Ima look it up on YouTube...

groove ;) on...

I think I saw Newdow on FNC a few times.  The usual schtick. Newdow was a real treat for FNC because they could get him on three fronts: children, God, and patriotism.  Any emotional tug FNC can grab involving any of those three subjects they consider adventageous.  One of those three topics works its way into most FNC "social values" stories....and it helps to have a villain.  Newdow gave them them the perfect storm.  "We Americans want our children to revere the our flag and our God every morning, and this...this...this...atheist leftie wants to take that God-given freedom away from us.  Well, we're gonna stop him, right?  And we're gonna tell him what-for!"
The funny thing was Newdow was about as menacing as mouse.  He just didn't make a good villain!
;D

If you ask any right-winger, he'll tell you liberals run on emotions, and conservatives run on facts, logic, and intellectual pursuit.  Then you take a look at FNC....
::)

Written By: Tia on 09/06/06 at 2:15 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/pottytrain2.gif
:-*

Written By: zcrito on 09/10/06 at 3:09 pm

Keith Olbermann is a dumbass -- but he does dress well with the nice suits and all.

I first saw his nightly "newscast" on MSNBC probably two years ago while in the middle of some cable surfing. He was doing a segment on Matthew Shepard, that murdered gay University of Wyoming student and how some local person was putting up anti gay and anti Mathew Shepard signs in the area. This was just one person in Wyoming -- one person -- but the Keithster gave this news item an entire segment of his show. He was even on the verge of tears. Pretty lame and very odd I thought.

He's an ex-sportscaster biased liberal whose show on MSNBC has virtually no one watching. Drudge Report lists viewer ratings of shows like his and he's always dead last. Billy O is always number one.

I've only seen part of his "newscasts" during my "let's see what else is on" cable scans and each time I seem to catch another one of his pathetic attempts at humor. They are extremely embarrassing and difficult to watch. At times I even feel pity for the guy. And whenever he does his Bill O'Reilly is evil routines he looks even more juvenile.

Since I don't watch his garbage I had to check out his latest anti-Bush administration rant. It appears he's a bigger dumbass than I thought. No, Bush isn't Hitler this time around, no the Keithster's got a slightly different twist going on this one. Funny stuff.

I did a little more checking and found this great Web site that does a good job of exposing the bias and misinformation cranked out by that idiot

http://www.olbermannwatch.com/

And this concerning his comments about Donald Rumsfeld's speach

http://www.olbermannwatch.com/archives/2006/08/countdown_with_109.html

He'd probably do a lot better if he'd lay off the anti-Bush bias and anti-O'Reilly rhetoric since it just makes him look bad. But then I guess that's just what his "core" audience wants to hear all the time anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/06 at 3:30 pm

I guess if you respect O'Reilly and Drudge and believe the "liberal media" canard, you're not going to like Olbermann.

I'm surprised they haven't taken him off yet.  If the fascists say he's a "liberal," then MSNBC might get called liberally biased, and all good infotainment execs know, the Right really is right!  Remember, GE owns NBC.  Phil Donahue had the highest ratings on MSNBC, but they took him off because the Right didn't like Donahue; Donahue might say something against the war.  We can't just let liberals go around saying things if our war-mongering paymasters disapprove.  This is a free land of liberty, we're not run by commie peaceniks like Josef Stalin!  So, I was stunned when Olbermann started speaking up.  Donahue was liberal personified.  Olbermann I though was just one of those corporate kiss-up cable news guys.
I did not see Olbermann take a "liberal" position.  I saw him saying, "these guys aren't making any sense!" 
Bush does not have conservatives backing him anymore, only fascists.  Bush even lost George Will, who was one of Reagan's best media buddies and still is a staunch conservative.
Are people sticking up for Bush, and sticking up for the people who stick up for Bush, because they don't want to have to eat crow?  How can anybody think this guy's even a mediocre president? 

Written By: Tia on 09/10/06 at 3:36 pm

saying olbermann is a "dumbass" with a liberal bias and yet exonerating a bottomfeeder like o'reilly, who it pretty much can be proven is completely inarticulate in comparison to olbermann, i just don't know what to say about such a thing...

i'd be interested in someone doing a study based on, say, the complexity of sentences used, the complexity of arguments made, extent of vocabulary, consistency in following an argument to its logical conclusion... there are ways of measuring such things statistically and i'd bet my bottom dollar olbermann would come out on top in every category.

as far as ratings are concerned, american idol, nicole simpson's show and the osbournes all get or once got great ratings. that doesn't mean that people by and large like or admire the characters involved or think they're smart. o'reilly's show is such an embarrassing train wreck that appeals to the basest elements of human nature i'm not surprised it gets good ratings. taking the low road in television is a smart move if ratings are all that matters to ya.

Written By: La Roche on 09/10/06 at 3:39 pm

saying olbermann is a "dumbass" with a liberal bias and yet exonerating a bottomfeeder like o'reilly, who it pretty much can be proven is completely inarticulate in comparison to olbermann, i just don't know what to say about such a thing...

i'd be interested in someone doing a study based on, say, the complexity of sentences used, the complexity of arguments made, extent of vocabulary, consistency in following an argument to its logical conclusion... there are ways of measuring such things statistically and i'd bet my bottom dollar olbermann would come out on top in every category.

as far as ratings are concerned, american idol, nicole simpson's show and the osbournes all get or once got great ratings. that doesn't mean that people by and large like or admire the characters involved or think they're smart. o'reilly's show is such an embarrassing train wreck that appeals to the basest elements of human nature i'm not surprised it gets good ratings. taking the low road in television is a smart move if ratings are all that matters to ya.

Appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/06 at 3:51 pm

Appeal to the lowest common denominator.

And they meet with Grover Norquist every Wednesday morning to see how much lower they can drive the LCD!
Gotta keep that right-wing echo chamber eternally reverberating!
The right-wing spinmeisters aren't homophobic their first guy for all their lies is Matt Drudge.  He's their gay quarterback, if you will!  What frightened me was the success of "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth."  How dirt-dumb can people be?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/15/06 at 10:54 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20060912/cm_thenation/15120539

This is the speech that Olbermann gave on 09/11.  He's my hero.

Written By: Tia on 09/15/06 at 10:59 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20060912/cm_thenation/15120539

This is the speech that Olbermann gave on 09/11.  He's my hero.
it's lovely, it really is. i'm a little skeptical of the degree to which the absence of the 911 memorial can be blamed on bush personally, but olb's take on the twilight zone is perfection, exactly perfect.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/06 at 11:11 pm

it's lovely, it really is. i'm a little skeptical of the degree to which the absence of the 911 memorial can be blamed on bush personally, but olb's take on the twilight zone is perfection, exactly perfect.

What are you going to say about an administration that won't even let fallen soldiers be memorized in pictures of flagged-draped coffins? 
"Support our troops: send them home via the cargo hold in old fruit crates!"
http://www.campaignsitebuilder.com/user/montgomery_ryahoocom/gal/GOP%20elephant.gif

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 11:35 am

dude, this thread is so OLD. i have been here way too long.

anyway, great interview with the olbster on c-span the other day, thought i'd share.

http://tinyurl.com/dd55xk

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/09 at 11:39 am

dude, this thread is so OLD. i have been here way too long.

anyway, great interview with the olbster on c-span the other day, thought i'd share.

http://tinyurl.com/dd55xk

And I'm gonna watch the whole thing!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 01/27/09 at 8:55 pm

Keith is a little too smarmy for my tastes.  I agree with a lot of his points, but I don't like his presentation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/09 at 9:15 pm

Keith is a little too smarmy for my tastes.  I agree with a lot of his points, but I don't like his presentation.

Yeah, he is smarmy.  If I didn't agree with him 90% of the time, I'd hate him too!

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 10:38 am

i don't think he's "smarmy." i think he's smart as hell and doesn't bother to hide it, it comes off as smug to some but hey...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/09 at 8:39 pm

i don't think he's "smarmy." i think he's smart as hell and doesn't bother to hide it, it comes off as smug to some but hey...

And for that I'd hate him...if I didn't agree with him!

It's like how I'd hate John Cleese if he wasn't so damn funny!

(Speaking of tall guys with searing wits)

Check for new replies or respond here...